Home invader tries to take advantage of elderly couple, evidently gets more than he bargained for

posted at 6:01 pm on May 9, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Here’s a nice palate-cleansing, feel-good post for a Friday afternoon, and an apt demonstration of the equalizing force of firearms to boot. I always wonder what it is gun-control advocates think they’re advocating for when they try to trample on the Second-Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens by arbitrarily reducing the types of guns they’re allowed to have and the places in which they’re allowed to have them, because what these progressives are really advocating for is the domination of the unscrupulous and physically strong over the weak. The police can’t even come close to being everywhere at once, and what happens when, for instance, an able-bodied intruder with murky intentions tries to exploit what he assumes will be his advantage over a frail elderly couple living by themselves? It’s a damn good thing this Kentucky pair had the means of self defense at their immediate disposal and didn’t have to wait to find out:

Officials say the man knocked on the couple’s back door around 1:30 a.m. Thursday screaming “My wife is hurt, my wife is hurt. Please help!” When 70-year-old Sarah Hudgins opened the door, the man, wearing a ski mask and all black, attacked her grabbing her throat and pushing her inside.

The husband, who officials say is fighting a battle with cancer, came out and pointed a loaded gun at the suspect and was able to scare him off and out of the house.

Comments

Way to go!

gophergirl on May 9, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Only part of the story I don’t like is the suspect wasn’t shot and killed.

redshirt on May 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM

er, scratch “suspect” and substitute “attacker”.

redshirt on May 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM

This post deserved a ka-boom!

will77jeff on May 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Rand Paul to chastise elderly couple in 3…2…1…

will77jeff on May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Too bad the suspect wasn’t shot, dead.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Officials say the man knocked on the couple’s back door around 1:30 a.m.

The back door at 1:30am. No way am I opening that door.

Happy Nomad on May 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Why didn’t the elderly woman puke on herself instead.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Too bad the suspect wasn’t shot, dead.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Yep. A real bummer…

OmahaConservative on May 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Why didn’t the elderly woman puke on herself instead.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Heh. Exactly what I was going to type.

Splashman on May 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Bishop and splashman: care to explain what you mean??? Sounds offensive and nasty….

chai on May 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Chai: Democrats are on record as saying that guns are nasty and evil, and that all you need to do to protect yourself is to puke on yourself and/or pee your pants–that will keep you, but especially college coeds, safe from violent assault.

Vanceone on May 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

chai on May 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Not as nasty as having a gun in your house, those things are known to kill their owners while they’re sleeping.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Pope Francis wants to know why they didn’t as the intruder if he wanted any of their wealth!

Obviously wealthy whiteys

PappyD61 on May 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM

ask

PappyD61 on May 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Classic Kentucky Welcome

I love my state.

EvilMonk on May 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

chai on May 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

It’s been suggested by anti-gun enthusiasts that, in lieu of guns, people should learn to urinate, defecate, and vomit upon themselves to stop an attacker.

In case you were seriously asking. :)

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

once again — i was too slow

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Another one who, unfortunately, survived.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Too bad the suspect wasn’t shot, dead.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I concur.

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Success story

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

In case you were seriously asking. :)

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Better: The intruder sees the loaded gun and pees his own pants.

The Rogue Tomato on May 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

once again — i was too slow

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Don’t think of it as being to slow Axefellow, think of it as being way way way ahead for next time the question is asked…

oscarwilde on May 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

What ?
This elderly couple didn’t have a whistle ?
Did they really have to use a gun to save their lives ?
I think they offended their attacker , he was just doing it as an act of love .

burrata on May 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

If you’re going to pull a gun, you better use it.

He must have been afraid he might hit his wife, otherwise I’m sure that old man would have sent that bastard to the morgue.

portlandon on May 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Success story

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

:D HoooooRah!

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Lady black, intruder white, success!

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Shoulda blasted him through the door with a shotgun and told the po- po, VeeP Biden told him to do it precisely that way. God bless, comfort, and protect these seniors!

Ay Uaxe on May 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

And lib free is indignant that this elderly couple didn’t die to further the cause near and dear to leftist hearts: forcible redistribution of wealth.

Vanceone on May 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

The final indignity against the attacker: The old man was armed with a non-lethal skeet shotgun (from my understanding, a skeet gun would lack killing power as its not built to kill).

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 6:36 PM

So , call we call these victims ” racists” yet ?

burrata on May 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM

oscarwilde on May 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Time is a finite field. :)

Go to sleep, wake up yesterday.

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Schad on a roll…
Now I feel good.

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Schad on a roll…
Now I feel good.

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Saw one this morning where an older black lady just put one under…but I can’t find the link…oh well, enough good for one day.

Be fine
B9 :)

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

If that guy has any sense at all, he’ll get his butt to church this Sunday. And call his mother.

CurtZHP on May 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Go to sleep, wake up yesterday.

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Meh, you get used to it, happens to me so often I spend most of my time stuck in the middle of last week, let me tell you, man do I hate it when there are three Mondays in a row in a week…

oscarwilde on May 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Lady black, intruder white, success!

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I demand to know why Jesse Jackass and Al NotsoSharpton are not demanding that woman be tried for MURDER…

oscarwilde on May 9, 2014 at 6:43 PM

You never open your door in the middle of the night. But good for them that they were armed and didn’t become victims of that low life.

ladyingray on May 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Be fine
B9 :)

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Darn it..think I saw that too…looking…

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Only part of the story I don’t like is the suspect wasn’t shot and killed.

redshirt on May 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Same here.

xNavigator on May 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Sure would save the State some down-stream expense dealing with his ongoing problem.

Another Drew on May 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I thought this was going to be a feel-good story about a perp exiting the world. Well, it’s close enough I guess. I hope the residents keep the gun loaded and handy in case the creep decides to come back for a re-match.

battalion on May 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Castle Doctrine applies so pull that trigger.

Thin the herd of such a POS.

BuckeyeSam on May 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Why didn’t the elderly woman puke on herself instead.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Heh. Exactly what I was going to type.

Splashman on May 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Puking, peeing and crapping your pants are reserved for when you’re being raped. In Colorado only.

RickB on May 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM

You are all disgusting! What if the man in the ski mask has his feelings hurt!

-nonpartisan, et al

Chuck Schick on May 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Someone got shot on wed. 2 o’clock in the afternoon about 100 ft. from my front door.

Good samaritan(unarmed) tried to stop a guy accosting two women at the convienance store.

Hit in the arm.

It don’t have to be the middle of the night.

The description of the shooter is as you would expect.

wolly4321 on May 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Pure scum. How many pages of police records think this creep has?

Only part of the story I don’t like is the suspect wasn’t shot and killed.

redshirt on May 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM

LOL…I agree.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM

wolly4321 on May 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

So do you live in Detroit, New Orleans, or Chicago. ;0

Happy Nomad on May 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Vanceone on May 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Like sexual assaults in airports, it’s legal when the goverment does it to you.

slickwillie2001 on May 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Only part of the story I don’t like is the suspect wasn’t shot and killed.

redshirt on May 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Indeed. Since the scumbag in question wasn’t permanently removed from polite society now we’ve got to go to the trouble of squandering valuable tax dollars to feed and house them in a prison for a couple years, then deal with whatever other trouble this poor, misunderstood soul will cause once they’re out. It’s a pity the homeowner wasn’t able to save us the trouble.

alchemist19 on May 9, 2014 at 7:32 PM

so do you live in Detroit, New Orleans, or Chicago. ;0 Happy Nomad on May 9, 2014 at 7:20 Pm

Tucson. Couple miles from Sagauro National Monument. Decent part of town.

wolly4321 on May 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM

…so when does Eric Holder step in…to prosecute the guy…since the local law seems beneficial to the victims?

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM

really advocating for is the domination of the unscrupulous and physically strong and criminals who don’t feel like obeying gun restrictions over the weak

Be fine
B9 :)

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

There was a story on The Blaze yesterday about a black grandmother who shot an armed thug (or thugs) that attacked her. I don’t believe it was fatal.

talkingpoints on May 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM

The description of the shooter is as you would expect.

wolly4321 on May 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Oldnuke on May 9, 2014 at 8:21 PM

This happens every day but because of the hassle involved most people don’t even bother to call the police anymore.

Gwillie on May 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Well, well, what do you know. I had numerous posters yesterday claiming what a crazy idea it would be to use a gun to stop a home invasion, without shooting. Didn’t think I would be proven right the next day.

cimbri on May 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Middle aged white guy, veteran, Tea Party member and staunch conservative….right? // Oldnuke on May 9, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Close.. he was a “light skinned” black.

I guess there’s a difference.

wolly4321 on May 9, 2014 at 8:34 PM

To bad it was not a happy ending.

That’s Texan for when the perp gets shot and don’t make it to the hospital in time.

KirknBurker on May 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM

cimbri on May 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Well, you might almost be right. Except that tomorrow, that same scumbag will pull the same gig on another elderly couple, believing that the odds are against two sets of armed victims in a row. Somebody puts a hand on my wife’s throat, he’s going to get much more than just told to leave. If I don’t see a gun out, I might not do two center-mass, just one, and if he’s still breathing, I’ll call 9-1-1 for him, but he’s not going anywhere until the LEOs show up.

Freelancer on May 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM

The only thing missing from this is the timely death of an abject piece of shit intruder.

Midas on May 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM

There’s no thinking involved. All they’re doing is repeating what their flock-mates are chirping.

I have a Facebook account only to increase my search-engine optimization (SEO), but sometimes I engage people. Recently a woman told me that nobody needs guns to protect others or themselves. You use love instead. Period. Nonviolence is the only answer.

This is a person who keeps posting petitions to “bring our girls back.” I asked her if she’d been at Chibok Government Girls Secondary School on April 14, 2014, and there was a GAU-17 minigun set up behind a Jersey barrier, and Boko Haram had to come down a corridor to get the girls, would she use the gun?

No reply. I didn’t expect one. These people don’t actually think, feel, or believe anything. They just say what they need to say to remain part of the flock.

They’re deeply immoral.

A Chair of Some Kind on May 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Upon hearing the news, Nanny Bloomberg began sobbing and threw a kosher pickle at his 3rd assistant.

Whitey Ford on May 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM

The back door at 1:30am. No way am I opening that door.
Happy Nomad on May 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I see what you did there…

whatabunchoflosers on May 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM

The attacker’s attorney, Gloria Allred, has announced that her client was deeply offended that the elderly couple had the audacity to resist a legitimate attack, that he had every right to take from them because he needed some cash for a 40 oz. Miller High Life, and that the assailant is considering legal action for having soiled a perfectly good pair of underwear.

IndieDogg on May 9, 2014 at 9:42 PM

UPDATE:

Senior citizen charged with making terroristic threats, assault with a deadly weapon; being flown to GITMO for interrogation.

US Attorney General Holder said “Lets not jump to conclusions until the facts are gathered. Its possible the woman said something that triggered the unknown person. If the facts lead there, she’ll be arrested and charged with felony scaring of a robber”

BobMbx on May 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM

The attacker has a pair on him…banging and yelling 1am and no one else in that tight neighborhood heard that. Too bad the old guy didn’t pull a Harry Callahan.

The Dude on May 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Democrats rather these two have been killed.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Obama says to use a pencil as a weapon or hide under the desk. These two old folks could have killed an Obama supporter!

Herb on May 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Herb on May 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Do you think the home invader could have been someone that would have looked like a son of Barry’s?

slickwillie2001 on May 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Throw a shoe at the intruder … that is the ultimate insult.

Hopefully they’ll run away … ashamed. /

The intruder should have received the full effect of a loaded weapon … he made out better than he deserved. Dude, come on over to my house.

ORrighty on May 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Hey CIMBRI,,,,,, what would you do if you had been robbed 6 times in the last 20 years? I have and fortunately I was not home. Even when they catch these bums they spend very little time in jail and than they go out and do it again. When they are dead than they can’t pull a crime again can they? I am prepared for a home invasion because I live in a rural area its hopeless to depend on the Sheriff’s dept. I have to take care of it myself. Last year a guy who just got out of prison tried to get in but I locked the door and called the cops and he left. Later he came back and vandalized my car. He also pulled a robbery later on that night and now he is in back in the state prison. By the way on his last crime he knocked out the homeowner because he was foolish enough to let him in. The guy had told him he need to borrow the phone.

garydt on May 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM

cimbri on May 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Typical lefty – can’t even tell the truth about what you’ve said before.
THIS is the kind of crap you were spouting on the thread about the 2 teenagers killed during their second or third break-in of an elderly woman’s house, after having also threatened her:

“Hold it, boys. Take a seat, I’m calling the police”. That’s probably what I would have done if I had been the brother. People are too antsy and quick to pull the trigger.

cimbri on May 7, 2014 at 2:23 AM

THIS elderly couple is lucky the scumbag coward ran off when confronted with a gun. But since he’s still alive and unharmed, I’ll bet Romney’s $10K he does this again soon – and eventually SOMEONE is going to die.
Who are you cheering for – the criminal or the innocent victims?

dentarthurdent on May 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM

chai on May 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

In the hearings last year in the Colorado legislature, before the Dems pushed through their nanny-bloomy supported gun control bills, Dem legislators actually suggested that women should do those things when attacked by rapists – instead of having a gun to defend themselves. In at least one case, this suggestion was actually made directly to a young rape survivor who was testifying – by a female Dem state senator – who later resigned from office in the face of a recall.

dentarthurdent on May 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM

From one of the linked stories in comments above:

This lady stayed calm, followed procedure, and had superior GUN CONTROL!!!

Police say a man in his 20s attempted to break into her home through a rear window. When the homeowner heard the noise, she grabbed her handgun and warned the invader that she was armed. The suspect continued to break in and the woman shot him once in the chest. We’re told he fled the scene and was found down the block. He was transported to a local hospital and was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police still optimistic that thugs will eventually learn from series of successful defense stories:

This incident follows two separate home invasions in Detroit last Saturday where two homeowners killed people breaking into their homes.

Another home invasion on February 17 involved a mother firing at teenagers who were breaking into her home.

Despite warning shots, one intruder still barged toward the door a second time. Within hours, all three were arrested and face home invasion charges.

Police have said these results will make thieves think twice before barging into a home.

Thugs will never learn, so we must keep practicing gun control at the target range.

fred5678 on May 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Story is a bit of a C*cktease as I thought grandpa was gonna really teach the goof a lesson

WhatsAMattaU on May 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I understand the attitude among some to kill one if you get the chance. Problem is, there are 10s of thousands of burglars out there. Killing one isn’t going to affect the macro problem and just causes the home dweller unforeseen problems. This guy did it right, he defended the house with the minimum force necessary, disproving the absurd claims on the other thread yesterday.

cimbri on May 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM

cimbri on May 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM

And so this scumbag is still around to do it to someone else today. Maybe it will be one of your loved ones. Maybe not.
But they’ll still end up just as hurt or dead because the perp wasn’t stopped when the opportunity was there.

VelvetElvis on May 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM

cimbri on May 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Right. So much better that this man lived so he can break into a home of your preferred victim–a person without a gun. Much better that in the future someone is completely at his mercy.

DrMagnolias on May 10, 2014 at 6:52 AM

cimbri on May 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Are you really this dim? Do you believe that every situation is identical, and what worked in this will work in them all? Read some of the other stories linked to on this thread, like the woman who warned the guy she was armed and he still kept coming, or the woman who was holding a gun when the guy started beating her up–the only thing that stopped those two animals was someone pulling the trigger.

It is clear that you are going to struggle mightily to ignore all facts and logic in order to do your moral preening, but understand that anyone who can think clearly is going to recognize you for your complete moral callousness.

DrMagnolias on May 10, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Only part of the story I don’t like is the suspect attacker wasn’t shot and killed.

redshirt on May 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Concur, wholeheartedly!

disproving the absurd claims on the other thread yesterday.

cimbri on May 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Which absurd claims? On which thread? You’ve been on so many, making so many absurd claims, I don’t know where to start.

(If you mean the BS you were spouting about warning the intruder, this guy was lucky – never give a bad guy a chance to outdraw you.)

Despite warning shots, one intruder still barged toward the door a second time.

fred5678 on May 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Which is why you don’t screw around with warning shots.

GWB on May 10, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Thank goodness they were ready for this man.

MTF on May 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I think it’s terrible that this gun slinging couple traumatized this poor masked man. Jail for the gunslingers and therapy and compensation for the victimized mask man, I say. We can raise funds for this targeted victim by both increasing taxes and throwing 30,000 totally useless veterans out of health care.

MaiDee on May 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Could it be that the push for gun-control results from urban Democrats’ racist fear of Black men having them?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM

MaiDee on May 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Looks a bit like sarc – but also looks just like what cimbri and tlaloc are saying seriously.
Just not sure how to take yours…..

dentarthurdent on May 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Classic Kentucky Welcome
I love my state.

EvilMonk on May 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

+100%

HellCat on May 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

This is the most common self-defense use of a firearm in America: bad guy gets shown the muzzle end of a gun and runs away. A lot more common than shots being fired, because most normal people really DON’T want to shoot anyone unless truly forced.

Tard on May 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM

dentarthurdent on May 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM

On behalf of all HA readers I offer a sincere and humble apology to the harassed masked intruder. The vicious gun nuts not only ruined his day and caused him to fail at his task but inhospitably refused his entry into the house causing severe psychological trauma and feelings of neglect and rejection for which all of society must share blame for our gun permissiveness.

But the biggest mistake the man with the gun made is FAILING to point the gun at the center of the masked intruder’s chest and slowly squeezing the trigger–scattering heart, liver, pancreas and lungs all over the yard–thus making sure this masked scum will never be a repeat offender.

MaiDee on May 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM