Fired HGTV hosts: We’re not anti-gay

posted at 4:01 pm on May 9, 2014 by Allahpundit

It’s a tale as old as time. Boy meets network, network falls in love with boy, left-wing blog publishes audio in which boy criticizes the gay agenda (among other things), network breaks up with boy because, let’s face it, after Phil Robertson and Brendan Eich they don’t need the BS that comes with being the next flashpoint in the culture war.

Obvious solution here: Give them the show but front-load it with “trigger warnings.” You’re welcome, America.

How close are we to a market solution to this culture-war problem? Given the number of Christian social conservatives in the U.S., you’d think there’d be no difficulty in building a network aimed at that audience to which people like the Benhams or the Robertsons could go if they didn’t want to keep their beliefs quiet to protect A&E or HGTV. The dilemma would be whether the network should be subscription only, which would maximize its content freedom but limit its audience, or basic cable, which would give it the new headache of not alienating its advertisers by hiring “controversial” hosts. Another way of framing that question is, are there enough Christian businesses who are willing and able to fund a network like this, even at the risk of being boycotted by gay-rights activists, to make it viable? Or would the network have to be pay-only? If so, that’s not a disaster: The Blaze has done just fine with its subscription TV model. “Christian TV,” featuring “Duck Dynasty,” surely would do okay too. In an age where it’s cheap to produce professional-quality television and directly target a niche audience, you don’t need 50 million viewers up front to guarantee your success. Take it from an atheist.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Rationalized dysfunction always views normalcy as an insult.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM

You can’t have a market solution with television because channel distribution is socialized.

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Unlike Duck Dynasty or Mozilla, I would think HGTV does have to be mindful of it’s audience in something like this.

I suspect a lot more gay people watch HGTV than Duck Dynasty. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Scott

grahsco on May 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

CNN took part of a guest’s quote out of context and then tried to smear them with it…well I’m shocked…surprised they didn’t show stock footage of a Westboro Baptist Church rally when interviewing them.

nextgen_repub on May 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I’m guessing most of the people who watched the show in first place thought these two were gay, and thats why they were watching the show.

It must be like finding out that Rock Hudson was gay. Egads!

BobMbx on May 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I’m writin’ HGTV.

avagreen on May 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Not much to take from a atheist…

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM

So instead of decrying the hate speech and bullying of the leftists which the poor little networks harto justifiably submit to – AP suggests they should build their own network.

Skywise on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Scott

Whenever you have to add “Not that there’s anything wrong with that”

- there is usually something wrong with that.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Fired HGTV hosts: We’re not anti-gay

And with the matching hairdos, hair-care products, those shirts, well … I really, really believe you two aren’t “anti-gay”.

M240H on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I really like these guys but I don’t necessarily like muslims. I don’t trust them.

jmtham156 on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

…and so….it continues!

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM

For every action there is a reaction… The very aggressive actions by the social liberals is going to have a severe backlash from the right and the rest of America… In the 1960′s and 1970′s the social liberals thought they won everything through hippies, drugs, sexual revolution and abortion… The reactions was the creation of the Moral Majority and the Christian Right in the last 1970′s that brought the most successful President of the 20th century Ronald Reagan and Republicans won three consecutive Presidential elections… Le the homosexuals, abortionists, and other social liberals enjoy their actions now because the reaction is coming and they are not going to like it at all…

mnjg on May 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM

How did this become atheist vs Christian? It’s no one’s fault homosexuality is useless…

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I’m so sick of this “gay agenda” crud. Not every gay is a liberal leftist militant moron. Many gays are, but not all. Call it what it is…the “liberal leftist militants gay agenda”. I’m not any part of that, nor are most of the gay commenters here. My only “agenda” is legalizing gay marriage…secular only…and to be treated like any other person under the US constitution.

That…and I still have hope to see my NY Jets in a superbowl just once in my lifetime. That’s it.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

M240H on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Maybe because they’re twins?

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

When did normal behavior in which 95% of the planet believes become “controversial”?

I read about this in High School – back in 1984.

Lance Corvette on May 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Scott

grahsco on May 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

There are good reasons that around here it’s referred to as ‘Homosexual and Gay TV’.

slickwillie2001 on May 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM

BobMbx on May 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM

The show hasn’t been on yet. I think it was supposed to premier this fall. Shooting is about half-over, and the brothers have said they will be finishing the homes they started remodeling.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I get tired of the gays on HGTV….
It goes both ways folks…
When a gay couple come on shows like Property Brothers or House Hunters – instant switch….

HGTV can have all the gays they want – I just stop watching when they come on.

Glenn Beck needs to hire the Benham brothers and give HGTV some competition.

redguy on May 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I like Alphapundits posts but I’m sorry I don’t care if your a “atheist”…then again to me atheism is just a consentrated form of secular humanism…

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Those haircuts + those shirts =

portlandon on May 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Statement from Benham Brothers:

The first and last thought on our minds as we begin and end each day is; have we shined Christ’s light today? Our faith is the fundamental calling in our lives, and the centerpiece of who we are. As Christians we are called to love our fellow man. Anyone who suggests that we hate homosexuals or people of other faiths is either misinformed or lying.

Over the last decade, we’ve sold thousands of homes with the guiding principle of producing value and breathing life into each family that has crossed our path, and we do not, nor will we ever discriminate against people who do not share our views.

We were saddened to hear HGTV’s decision. With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it.

- David & Jason Benham

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Though I strongly disagree with you on homosexual marriage even if it is secular, I command you on your honesty about this extreme aggressive militancy of the left wing homosexual crowd…

mnjg on May 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Where can I find “dysfunctional sexual desire” listed in the US Constitution?

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

We need to get Ellen Degeneres thrown off the air for her offensive, anti-marriage, unconstitutional speech.

crrr6 on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Are you sure they aren’t triplets? Anthony Michael Hall?

portlandon on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

You had me right up to the whole talk about the Jets in the Superbowl. That’s just crazy talk

bsinc1962 on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Maybe because they’re twins?

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Maybe Mom still dresses them?

They’re grown men; they shoulda knocked that sh** off by time they old enough to object … like, say, nine or ten.

M240H on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

They gotta change the uniforms. It’s the only way it’ll ever happen.

darwin on May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Scott

grahsco on May 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

So what? They got these guys solely based on comments their FATHER said 20 years ago, and the fact they are Christians.

The show had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with culture or gays.

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Never mind atheism is just absurdism to me…yes saying one is a atheist in the middle of the solar system it would lose all it’s “logic”…

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Christian T.V. WILL HAVE TO be an Online only network. Very few cable company will want to upset their boss aka the government. Government owns all the over the air ways with them giving air wave rights.

That is why Glenn Beck can’t buy a network on cable.

BroncosRock on May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

:) Meh!

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM

M240H on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Would physical gay bashing give them their manhood?

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM

How close are we to a market solution to this culture-war problem?

Not at all.

This is about shunning and ghettoizing Christians for their faith.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM

They love Islam? So they’re liberals?

darwin on May 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM

So if you are a Christian and hold Cristian beliefs, you need to be banned from regular channels? Do any of you find this and all the other secular liberal fascism alarming? If not, you should. As for AP, you had better think hard about this because one day society may want to take away your livelihood and ban you for your beliefs.

fight like a girl on May 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Humanists and atheists hate Christians as they question legalized depravity.

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM

This isn’t necessarily about their overt faith. Atheists can oppose the gay marriage agenda and find themselves on the receiving end of their bullying too. It’s about suppressing any opinion not in alignment with Liberal orthodoxy. They can’t just disagree with you, they want to destroy you and drive you from the public sphere.

Charlemagne on May 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM

M240H on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

And there’s a perfect demonstration of elite leftist inteelektual diversity.

Skywise on May 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Sent them a email saying how disgusted I am with HGTV’s caving to the gay mafia. Don’t expect them to do anything.

Texyank on May 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM

nextgen_repub on May 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Like they did when they were talking about Brendan Eich.

(for those who didn’t know)

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Charlemagne on May 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM
I do not know about that to atheists are just as religious as the next catholic. Humanists don’t believe in tolerance it’s a idea to them.

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Where can I find “dysfunctional sexual desire” listed in the US Constitution?

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

About the same place you’ll see “functional sexual desire”.

bsinc1962 on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

We all need a pipe dream.

They gotta change the uniforms. It’s the only way it’ll ever happen.

darwin on May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Been done…and it worked. Coaching is everything…Parcells was a master. As long as Wrecks Ryan keeps his job, the team is going nowhere.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Anyone who loves Islam is at war with God.

VorDaj on May 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Nice intro to who they are. One brother has five kids, and the other one has four.

Some of you also might be interested in what they say on leadership, work, and family.

One of the things they say on work:

Faithfulness in the Little:

TODAYS CHALLENGE: Let’s be faithful with what God has given us to do today, and if God ever taps us on the shoulder to honor Him before men I pray that He will find us faithfully engaged in the ordinary.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

:) Meh!

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Shush, you.

;)

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Whenever you have to add “Not that there’s anything wrong with that”
- there is usually something wrong with that.
Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

You know that’s the classic line about gheys from Seinfeld, dontcha?

KS Rex on May 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM

High Gay TV, huh?

22044 on May 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

And, I’m blocking HGTV, just like I did with A&E. They aren’t getting any of my $$. Just told them so and listed their gays that I have had to swallow hard to watch.

avagreen on May 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

“Legalizing gay homosexual marriage” = “liberal leftist militants gay homosexual agenda.”

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Of course atheists today do not seem to get they are saying god doesn’t exist in a Goldilocks zone that’s just perfectly positioned..and Jupitor sucks in planet killing astroids all the time…yep there is no god (Sarcasm)

sorrowen on May 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM

You know that’s the classic line about gheys from Seinfeld, dontcha?

KS Rex on May 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Yes. Yes I do.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM

“I love homosexuals. I love Islam, Muslims, and my brother and I would never discriminate.”

I find it so pitiful, so distasteful, when someone feels forced to do this. I mean, in the past I’ve been moved to say such things.

The problem is, they’re (the Left) the ones putting their crap on you, and you’re TAKING it, and not only that, but then you’re apologizing that anyone even THINKS you hate anyone.

And finally … this “And I ain’t even got a garage, you can call home and ask my wife” (“Uneasy Rider” — Charlie Daniels) mea culpa protestation prostratation (laying prostrate in obeisance and fealty — I just made it up), it NEVER WORKS. Never, ever.

Never a single time in human history. “Oh, he said he’s not like that? Then, let’s give him a break!”.

LashRambo on May 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I don’t know, AP. You really think there’s a market for a Christian audience in this country?

Heaven Is For Real – Budget: $12 mil, Domestic B.O.: $68 mil and counting

Son of God – Budget: Nothing since it was footage from The Bible Miniseries, Domestic B.O.: $59 mil and counting

God’s Not Dead – Budget: $2 mil, Domestic B.O.: $56 mil and counting

Doughboy on May 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM

They love Islam? So they’re liberals?

darwin on May 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I’m sure he meant that he loves Muslims.

Because, as a Christ-follower, he loves people.

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Charlemagne on May 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM

But have any yet taken a public stand? Everyone I’ve read about has said they were a Christian.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Where can I find “dysfunctional sexual desire” listed in the US Constitution?

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

If only you knew what went on in my bedroom.. Vavavoooomm!

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

AP: a better solution to this problem instead of a new Christian channel, is for these left wing hate groups to stop protesting everything and everyone they disagree with!!! solve the problem, not work around it.

The hate and bigotry from those boycotting groups is one sided, so I hardly consider it a “culture war”, it’s culture terrorism.

jetch on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Where can I find “dysfunctional sexual desire” listed in the US Constitution?

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

About the same place you’ll see “functional sexual desire”.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

So we agree. Your claim that gay “marriage” is somehow a Constitutional right – is indeed fallacious.

Thank you for demonstrating my point.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I linked to their the statement on their website in which they say:

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM

They always panic and think they’re going to lose advertisers. If their advertisers care that much get new ones. Not many people other than gays watch the channel anymore anyway. They used to have decorating, gardening, home improvement programs. Now it’s all real estate all the time. I always say the channel is being run by a lot of gay real estate speculators who live in little boxes in NY. They completely drove away their past audience.

crankyoldlady on May 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM

My wife is an HGTV fan, and it clear that they have an agenda to sell. It’s as though white/ black/ Asian/ Hispanic men and women NEVER marry and buy houses together. In HGTV shows, you rarely see a straight, same-race couple; instead, the network wants you to think that every possible combination of race, LGBT, etc. represents the vast majority of couples (married, or not.)

VastRightWingConspirator on May 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Ex-HGTV hosts: ‘If our faith costs us a TV show, so be it’

Twins David and Jason Benham had been in production for “Flip it Forward,” a show that was expected to debut in October on the nation’s seventh most-watched cable channel. According to Entertainment Weekly, the North Carolina brothers “would have followed families creating their dream homes from fixer-uppers.”

After the network announced the show was on the fall lineup, the militant lobbying group Right Wing Watch labeled David Benham, son of well-known evangelical pastor Flip Benham an “anti-gay extremist” and reported on comments he [David] made about homosexuality, abortion and divorce….

HGTV refuses to say why they decided not to go forward with the show. At 12pm ET they said this on Twitter: “HGTV has decided not to move forward with the Benham Brothers’ series.” But their decision was announced after Right Wing Watch published a scathing attack on the brothers.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Thank you for demonstrating my point.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Marriage isn’t a “right”…straight or gay.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

If only you knew what went on in my bedroom.. Vavavoooomm!

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

LOL- why I luv u.

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Look, I can empathize with you that it must be a lot tougher to go through life with the desire to be with other dudes than it is for us straight guys. But, being conservatives who deal in the realm of truth and facts, let’s call homosexuality what it is: a psychological disorder. How do I know that? Because the biological purpose of sex is to procreate and gays cannot procreate together – ever. Gay sexual contact has no purpose other than satisfying your mutual desires.

Also, it’s rather insulting to compare state recognition of an intimate arrangement that produces children (usually limited by age or medical complications) to one that can never produce children. You will never, ever, ever, never create the special indelible bond with another man that comes with making a baby together.

It’s the kind of bond that holds your family together during the most hellish of times of married life – and there are those times, no matter what the most happily married couples tell you. The close-knit bond of blood is what maximizes a parents’ investment in their children so as to see them through to adulthood as best they can.

I’m not saying all of this to be mean – it’s just because that’s the way nature works.

crrr6 on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Shoulda been a trigger warning before this “Jets in the Superbowl” talk – I mean, really… And in mixed company…. sheesh…

dentarthurdent on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

only you knew what went on in my bedroom.. Vavavoooomm!

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

LOL- why I luv u.

bazil9 on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Back at ya babe… My VGF :)

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

This is what they want, for Christians to ghetto-ize ourselves so their precious little sensitivities never have to come in contact with the truth. The Left would like nothing better than a Christian channel among the 2000 others that gleefully depict all sorts of hedonism and immorality.

HGTV has very obviously been pushing the normalization of homosexuality for years. They don’t just have gay designers (hard to avoid that) but their house-hunting and home-remodeling shows often feature same-sex couples as the homeowners. See! They’re just like you! All normal and stuff.

Too bad the Tolerance Police didn’t stop to think about how powerful a message could be sent by showing a couple of Christian brothers joyfully remodeling the home of a same-sex couple. But then again, maybe they did. The Gaystapo doesn’t want to show Christians actually living their faith and being tolerant. It doesn’t fit their agenda of demonization and Othering of Christians.

rockmom on May 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Speaking specifically about the firestorm surrounding their opinions on abortion, gay marriage and Islam, the twin brothers told The Blaze Friday that they’ve now seen firsthand what happens when a vocal portion of the nation tries to stifle its opposition.

“There’s a segment of America that is demanding that our freedom of speech come with consequences if it does not agree with their speech,” David Benham said. “With or without a show, I will not be beaten into submission. … This is not what our Founding Fathers had envisioned.”

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I don’t regard homosexuality as being normal or moral, but I don’t really care what they do.

I am, however, very fed up with the Homosexual Mafia trying to shut down people for merely disagreeing publicly about the topic.

Some people have even been fired from their jobs, or almost, for disagreeing in private, on their own home computer on the weekends, for not supporting homosexual marriage, this guy may be the example I am thinking of.

I said on this site a few years ago that the militant homosexuals do not want to live and let live, they are not shooting for mere tolerance, nope, they demand that Christians, conservatives, and all heteros, fully accept, condone, and celebrate homosexuality.

Someone left me a reply at that comment scoffing (he was like, “You honestly think homosexuals are looking for your approval or acceptance?” – yes, pal, I do), but I was proven right.

Even on Christian forums and blogs, ones that are moderate (I would not categorize them as being left wing), when it comes to homosexuality, most participants veer to the left (on this particular topic).

Some of them have even started to criticize and bash the concept of “hate the sin but love the sinner.” They don’t think it’s possible to disagree with someone’s lifestyle but still treat the person himself with compassion.

Some of those sorts of Christian blogs/forums recognize homosexuality as being sinful, others do not.

But almost all of them, regardless of their position on homosexuality, do not seem to understand that it is the homosexual groups who are bullying people around, not Christians or conservatives!

They have it in their heads that it’s the Christians (and Republicans) being bullies, picking on poor little homosexuals.

They don’t seen to recognize that homosexual groups are harassing their opponents, or getting them fired from their jobs, etc.

I do not understand the blindness, or this mind set of viewing all homosexuals as a poor, helpless, persecuted minority, when the homosexuals are the ones doing the persecution, harassing people in the media, or online, or getting them fired from their jobs.

TigerPaw on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Marriage isn’t a “right”…straight or gay.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Yeah. I know.

And yet you cite a Constitutional basis for gay “marriage”.

I’m sorry you’re arguing with yourself.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

The Property Brothers aren’t gay, are they? Maybe one. But not both. Right?

portlandon on May 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM

If only you knew what went on in my bedroom.. Vavavoooomm!

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Hmmmm – Is there a web site?

dentarthurdent on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Hmmmm – Is there a web site?

dentarthurdent on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

:P I’ll neverrrrr tell.

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

And those who aren’t are called Uncle Toms, race traitors, Jewish Nazis, self-loathing, and mentally ill by gay-sex marriage supporters, like you and your friends ZachV, verbaluce, alchemist19, and others.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Fine.

Under the Constitution, marriage is a privilege that is the state’s to control.

States have chosen overwhelmingly to limit it to unrelated male-female couples, under the simple logic that male-female coupling produces children and those children require raising and a legal identity.

There is nothing in the Constitution that mandates gay-sex marriage. The Constitution does state in no less than three amendments that race is not a valid requirement for legal treatment, which is why interracial marriage bans are unacceptable and affirmative-action bans are very acceptable.

You could have marriage if you were able to intelligently persuade people to change the laws. But since you cannot, you have resorted to screaming “bigot, bigot” at people, trying to get them fired from their jobs, and demanding that liberal judges pervert the law to give it to you.

In short, you demand special treatment based on your sexual orientation and you insist on using extralegal and socially-vile methods to get it.

What you need is to live in a society in which people are sick of your childish and bratty attitudes and take matters into their own hands. You and your fellow vile gays have chosen to act like animals, and as far as I am concerned, people can treat you like animals.

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

One of these days, I am going to do a recap of a gay marriage thread before it even happens. :)

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM

The Property Brothers aren’t gay, are they? Maybe one. But not both. Right?

portlandon on May 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I have no idea. They may not have ever made any public non-PC statements and so escaped repercussions.

That’s what this is all about. Disagree with the gay mafia, and prepare to take a hit.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

The solution is to not watch channels you disagree with. I watch USA because they have NCIS reruns but I don’t like their agenda either. They are always saying they welcome characters. I feel like telling them to stop attracting characters and try attracting grownups.

crankyoldlady on May 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Yep.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

The solution is to not watch channels you disagree with. I watch USA because they have NCIS reruns but I don’t like their agenda either. They are always saying they welcome characters. I feelc like telling them to stop attracting characters and try attracting grownups.

crankyoldlady on May 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I agree, although I wish we could pick and choose which individual channels we subscribe to, and that it doesn’t come in a package deal. If these channels started losing subscriptions; they may understand.

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

As far as JetBoy’s whining about “rights”, I find it endlessly amusing that he is always siding with the gays and lesbians and their Obama Party owners who want the First Amendment gutted, the Second Amendment abolished, the Ninth and Tenth Amendments eliminated, and the Obama Party weaponizing the IRS, EPA, and other alphabet agencies in direct violation of the Due Process clauses of the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments.

In short, if you won’t protect my real rights, there’s no chance I’m buying your offer of fake ones.

And that is the way all intelligent gays think. The other 99% of gays and lesbians like JetBoy would sell themselves into slavery to be able to piss on the altar of a Catholic church.

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

That would be nice but they’re going to lose me anyway. I have to cut back. After today or tomorrow I will only get up to channel 21. I’m only saving about $25 but I can use that to enter an art show.

crankyoldlady on May 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

If you have to be careful what you say in fear of being bullied you are living in a police state.

crankyoldlady on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

As a long-time follower of this site, and as a cradle Catholic revert – I’ve recognized this indelible Truth for several years now.

Thank you.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I feel bad that two carpenters were apparently fired for being bigots, but I’m more interested in finding out who that cute gay couple being interviewed on CNN is.

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I get tired of the gays on HGTV….
It goes both ways folks…

redguy on May 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Yeah. Kinda over represented and can’t they do their own design work? LOL

Fallon on May 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

If any/all shows and networks would just drop the agenda BS (ANY agenda or “social consciousness” crap) and focus on their actual business – which is entertainment – they might not have so much backlash – and to be honest – their agenda might actually succeed better.

Waay back when, Ellen Degeneres had a sitcom – it was hilarious – great show – then she “came out” and started pushing her agenda – and the show promptly went downhill, no longer funny, and eventually got cancelled.
We (wife and I) also really liked Will and Grace – despite 2 of the 4 main characters being gay, they didn’t seem to be pushing an agenda, just part of the show – and it also was a good and really funny show.
What I don’t like is when they start inserting gay characters into shows for no apparent reason – which usually goes with pushing “the agenda” – current 2 and 1/2 Men is a good example of that – we used to love it – don’t watch it any more.

dentarthurdent on May 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Calling homosexuality a “mental disorder” is not “in the realm of truth and facts”. What qualifies you to be able to call it one? Are you a psychologist? Yes…the biological purpose of sex is to produce children. But sex isn’t always done with the intention of producing a child, even amongst heterosexuals in most cases. It’s extremely pleasurable. Gays don’t have the market cornered on non-biological sex for pleasure, that’s for sure.

So would you agree that any sexual contact done without the specific intent of producing a child is a “mental disorder”? I’ve yet to see any marriage contract that stipulates the production of children as a necessity. Maybe you know something I don’t…and can show me where it is. There are quite a few married heterosexuals that don’t want kids, don’t have kids, and still have sexual relations with each other. So by your definition, they should not be married, right?

crrr6 on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Tell that to the millions of divorced couples with children. Or are you vehemently against divorce as an option? A same-sex couple, with a biological or adopted child, can be a loving, caring family capable of that special bond you describe. It happens all the time…and is happening now. What is that makes a loving family unit? Good parents, raising good kids, and preparing them for their life’s journey.

That’s it.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Ah yes.

Observable Reality: The new bigotry!

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Sorry, little quote fail there in my last post.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

The theocratic sodomaniacs can put another notch in their belt.

Murphy9 on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

ANUSOCRACY! FOR PEACE! FOR PROSPERITY!

Murphy9 on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Until you find out they’re conservative, at which point you’ll call for them to be stripped of their right to vote and kill themselves.

Just like you call for conservative black people to be lynched.

So when you call people “bigots”, clearly you don’t mean what most people think, given that your own calls for people to be stripped of rights and murdered based on their voting against you put you squarely in the “bigot” camp.

What you mean is that they’re not leftists. As we see from the behavior of your Barack Obama and his spiritual mentor Jeremiah Wright, murdering people for their faith is something you’re perfectly OK with as long as someone votes Democrat.

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Ha! Look when you call people Nazis…

libfreeordie on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You are an idiot troll.

As always, show me one post of mine that would even come close to that. But of course, as always, you can’t, because you’re…an idiot troll.

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Or maybe cable could go back to what it originally was, pay tv with the explicit advantage of having few to no ads. When we first got cable waaaayyy back in the 70′s having almost no ads was a major selling point for cable, the only ads you’d see were 2 or 3 a day, yes, a day, for some local stores and that was it. And the only reason there were any ads at all was because cable wasn’t ubiquitous like it is now and they actually needed the extra revenue to make up for the small subscriber base, they don’t need that now.

clearbluesky on May 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

JetBoy on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Your physical design and human paradigm begs to differ.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM