WaPo: There’s a new Republican dark horse emerging for 2016

posted at 8:41 pm on May 8, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’m old enough to remember when people thought the GOP had a strong field lined up for the next cycle, with no need for dark horses. Which is to say, I’m more than six months old.

Pencemania?

Pence is also quietly cultivating influential Washington figures such as Bill Kristol and Gary Bauer, while becoming one of the loudest voices attacking Common Core, a set of education benchmarks that has sparked a revolt among tea party activists.

The moves all bear the hallmarks of a potential run for president in 2016 — and some Republican leaders have begun talking up Pence as an under-the-radar standard-bearer who could return the GOP to the White House, according to interviews with more than two dozen prominent Republicans. They say the talk-radio-host-turned-congressman-turned-governor has the capacity to electrify grass-roots voters while uniting the constituencies that make up today’s deeply divided Republican Party.

“Pence could bridge really every group — the social conservatives, the fiscal conservatives, the foreign policy conservatives,” said Chris Chocola, president of the Club for Growth and a friend of Pence’s. “He’s not viewed as a fringe guy.”…

“In the last few months, people have reached out,” Pence said. “I’m listening.”

Actually, the money quote from the article isn’t in that excerpt. It’s this one, from Pence himself: “I am someone who doesn’t believe there is something wrong with the Republican agenda.” That’s an … interesting message to run on as the potential nominee of a party that’s been shellacked two elections in a row and, with great fanfare, engaged in a formal rebranding after the 2012 campaign. The most dynamic Republican pols of the last year are all about changing the party’s agenda. Most obviously, Rand Paul’s been pushing NSA reform and sentencing reforms; less conspicuously, Mike Lee’s proposed several pro-family economic measures. Virtually everyone in the prospective presidential field supports some form of immigration reform. It’d be supremely ironic if, after the rise of the tea party and people like Paul and Lee tugging the GOP in many different new directions, we ended up with a nominee who’s running explicitly on the idea of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

If you missed it last month, here’s my earlier post on Pence’s candidacy. The smartest critique of him in the WaPo story comes from Grover Norquist, who wonders what Pence’s “big thing” is. Scott Walker’s “big thing” is beating the unions in Wisconsin; if Pence ends up competing with him to be the “compromise candidate,” who’s respected by both the establishment and the grassroots, what has he accomplished to warrant picking him over Walker? (The same can be said for Rubio and Jindal, both of whom may also end up jockeying for the “compromise candidate” slot.) Pence has gotten out in front of opposing Common Core, but people who follow that issue closely like the boss emeritus think his opposition is mostly cosmetic. Maybe Pence’s “big thing” is simply the fact that he’s an exceptionally safe choice, almost to the point of blandness. Everyone else in the field has liabilities that will annoy some Republicans; even Walker, I think, might run into trouble on immigration. But Pence is, famously, a “full-spectrum conservative.” The fact that he’s saying outright that he thinks there’s nothing wrong with the GOP’s agenda might be reassuring to undecided voters faced with hard choices in the primaries between hawks and doves, social moderates and social conservatives, and so forth. I think McCain got nominated in 2008 because GOP voters ultimately decided he was the safest choice; Romney was also the safest in 2012. Maybe all he has to do is jump in, keep his head down while the rest of the field nukes each other, and then accept the nomination when voters decide it’s all too much and they should just stick with the inoffensive conservative guy from the midwest.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The GOP has an agenda? Other than wanting to be in power that is.

What exactly is the Republican agenda according to Pence?

ButterflyDragon on May 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Pence is the “next in line”?

Seriously? No, just No, and if he runs we will have Hillary.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I was for Pence to get into the 2012 race and thought we lost it when he bowed out by bowing to his wife’s interest. People are just plain stupid to call him bland, as if we need some kind of firebrand to “rekindle” the American spirit. He’s rock solid and would make a great president.

HiJack on May 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM

I think you are confusing Pence with the other Indianan, Mitch Daniels. Pence was never seriously pushed for 2012.

Deafdog on May 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Pence is the “next in line”?

Seriously? No, just No, and if he runs we will have Hillary.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I am a Ted Cruz supporting, TEA party kind of girl, but even I could get behind Pence. Don’t write him off too quickly. He is no McCain/Romney type. He is a true conservative that could appeal to the establishment weasels! Much better than Jeb Bush, IMHO.

texgal on May 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Not Bush and not Romney. That’s a lot going for him. Walker looks a lot younger and has a nice looking family when put up next to Killary.

Kissmygrits on May 9, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Pence has been on the sees for years and is hadly a dark horse candidate.

The Media wanted to ordain Cristie and he imploded with Bridge-gate scandal.

Deafdog on May 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM

texgal on May 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I like Cruz, but I won’t won’t stand near Pence. Something smells.

West yesterday, dropped an interesting bomb, but I will let you figure out if you think it is what I am hoping it is.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I like Cruz, but I won’t won’t stand near Pence. Something smells.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I like West a lot, would rather have a governor though as CIC.

roy_batty on May 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I like West a lot, would rather have a governor though as CIC.

roy_batty on May 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I would rather have a real person, and not some media forced on me individual.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:50 AM

WaPo: There’s a new Republican dark horse emerging for 2016

Please let this be true. I would actually be happy to vote for this guy in 2016.

I like Cruz, but I won’t won’t stand near Pence. Something smells.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Give Pence a chance, if you look at his track record it’s pretty good. I regard him as a better version of Scott Walker.

Doomberg on May 9, 2014 at 8:55 AM

If the Conservatives cut up their vote again into so many pieces they turn a 60% majority into a loser in every primary until establishment candidate can coast to victory with his 30% I am going to f*ckin lose it.

We need to figure out who early BEFORE the first primary and then vote together with full intention of going all the way through to the end. We must turn this country or we are all screwed. Another old blue blood establishment candidate to be dem light and at best hold the line for 4-8yrs will do more damage than good (that is even considering they can win).

C-Low on May 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Doomberg on May 9, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I have got two years. But remember back when… they said Pence was the “dark horse” then, and I wasn’t impressed in 2012 when he bowed out.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM

So WAPO is Pence pushing. Listen to Michell Malkin: Mike Pence And Big Government GOP`s Common Core Rebrand Hustle

This weekend on “Fox News Sunday,” anchor Chris Wallace credited his guest, Republican Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, with leading the nation as the “first state to fall out of the Common Core national education standards.” If only it were true.

Reality check: Last week, Pence faced the anger of hundreds of Indiana parents, educators and activists at a public Indiana Business Roundtable meeting to discuss his phony charade. The protesters openly booed Pence`s derision of critics as out-of-staters and elitists. They roared their disapproval when he claimed that his “new” standards were superior and homegrown. – Michelle Malkin 043014

My dislike of Pence goes back to his Amnesty gaming. 2006, Pence and the Manesty Lobby You think Boehner is the only Amnesty Gamer? Hey Mike Pence! Amnesty Is The Absence Of Punishment—Not The Presence of Reward!
The reason I post these links to his old end run, is Pence came up with a bill about the size of the Obamacare bill, and used Behner style moves to almost whank it in. IMHO it smells like a Boehner coached the play/ploy
Pence Ploy Part II: Security, Smugglers And Scapegoats
A bill that size was not written by one man. It was pure CLubhouse. Now he is being fronted as the ‘dark horse’ .

They never stop trying.

entagor on May 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Yes, I would certainly support West! I hope, like you, that it is what you think it is! : )

texgal on May 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM

C-Low on May 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Absolutely! However, we grassroots voters need to play the game like the weasels, and be willing to back one candidate even if it is not each’s favorite, be it Cruz, Paul, West, etc. The question that remains is, can we do that?

texgal on May 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I agree that him not running in 2012 was a disappointment, though in retrospect it strikes me as a wise decision – Romney had most of the money tied up at the time. Pence’s situation now, with the GOP leadership divided on what candidate to coronate, gives him a chance to steal some of those donors (same with Scott Walker, who I also like, though not as much as Pence).

Doomberg on May 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I like Pence. Solid all the way around, a good Governor/manager, congressional experience…and politically courageous. I was told by a horrified Hoosier liberal that he cut Head Start. That means he will actually cut programs that are proven ineffective even if the liberals scream to high heaven about the “little children”. That’s my kind of leader.

rdrift1879 on May 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Doomberg on May 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Pence strikes me like Huntsman did; looking for recognition. I do not like him, even back when.

I would rather vote for Walker, over Pence. At least Walker is more sincere.

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Everybody’s talkin’ about
Walker, Paul, Rubio, Christie,
Cruz, Perry, Bush, Romney

All we are sayin’
Is give a Pence a chance.

MaxMBJ on May 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

bluefox on May 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Just getting awake:-) Well, not really, but just logging on.

Even I, didn’t read all 1,198 pages of the Amnesty bill, but read enough!! As I recall I followed all of the amendments the R’s put up and were voted down. Grrrr!

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Mie Pence’s resume is very good..Hope he gives 2016 a look..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

upinak on May 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Thanks for posting that. Very inspiring by West. Whether he decides to run or not remains to be seen.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Pence sucks.

He’s an amnesty and Common Core pimp.

I’ll pass.

AZCoyote on May 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM

They never stop trying.

entagor on May 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Will read the links you provided asap.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Looks like the Tea Party & Grassroots in Indiana are wide awake!!

Grassroots Common Core Opponents Win in Indiana House Primaries

Two Indiana state House incumbents, endorsed by the administration of Gov. Mike Pence (R), fell to candidates supported by grassroots campaigns that stood firmly against the Common Core standards.

The grassroots & parents are organized!!

More at Breitbart…

:http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/08/Grass-Roots-Common-Core-Opponents-Win-in-Indiana-House-Primaries

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

AZCoyote on May 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Who do you recommend??..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I’m sure if enough folks are against common core Pence will relent..Unlike some already in congress..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

My vote will always be with Gov. Walker!! Bush from Fla. can get lost.

karlinsync on May 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Neither of the last two candidates ran on what is supposedly the Republican agenda.

John McAmnesty and Mitt Romneycare ran specifically Me Too Democrats and lost.

It is time to give people a choice instead of merely an echo.

18-1 on May 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Good Lord, HA. Pence has been brought up before on here as a potential candidate. Why the need to keep recycling this story? I don’t seem to recall Pence getting any traction on your recent survey (Ted Cruz won it handily), so I don’t see the need to keep throwing this out there. More articles about Ted Cruz, please. Keep it relevant.

Bob Davis on May 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Dire Straits on May 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I don’t know if he will or not Dire Straits. So many Governors in many States are all for it. My opinion is they are taking it on face value from those promoting it, rather than reading and knowing what it actually is. Now if they say they know what it is about and still are for it, then they are against this Country.

I’ll post some links that reveal exactly what this Educational destruction is. (After lunch:-)

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM

John McAmnesty and Mitt Romneycare ran specifically Me Too Democrats and lost.

It is time to give people a choice instead of merely an echo.

18-1 on May 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

We are going to have to make our own choice, instead of allowing them to as many times before. Whether that is possible, I’m not sure. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What needs reformed is the Voting System in this Country. As it is now, it’s stacked against the Voters by the RNC and the rest of the Anti-American elitists along with their Money-Bags.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

He has always been to strong of a social conservative for my habits.

I would vote for him. Already have in fact.

He should make it about being the “Party dedicated to freedom and equal opportunity.”

Common Core is just a symptom of a much bigger disease.

Keith_Indy on May 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I was impressed with his conservatism while serving in Congress and believe he would make a good president.

Bullhead on May 9, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Is everyone ready for the U.N.’s Global Transformation of Education? All Governors on board? Well, then these Gov’s are either ignorant or are traitors to America.

Oh, where have we heard that word “transformation” before? Hmmmm, yes you guessed correctly! Let’s take a look at this Common Core without any rose colored glasses, shall we?

Writing at Crisis Magazine, journalist Mary Jo Anderson asserts that Common Core is nothing less than the latest attempt by the U.N. to impose on the United States a globalist perspective with the utopian goals of worldwide peace, environmental sustainability, and economic fairness. In that context, Common Core is part of the Obama administration’s “transformational” education plan that places emphasis on global relationships rather than a unique American culture.

And yes, there is much more before I post the links. So far, this sounds like “transforming America” doesn’t it?

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Indiana is lucky with her last two governors.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Common Core continued…

In 2004, Gates’ Microsoft Corporation signed a Cooperation Agreement with UNESCO to develop a “master curriculum” which would include benchmarks and a testing program. According to the agreement, “UNESCO will explore how to facilitate content development.”

(Wow, an agreement!!; wonder what that is about?)

According to Anderson, in this concept of globalism that UNESCO and Microsoft proposed, “a nation is permitted to keep its surface culture, such as language, music, and cuisine. But patriotism, religion, and individualism are anathema, as each competes with the globalist vision of world harmony.”

Uh oh..Hope HA readers are understanding this great Common Core and and if you think your Governor is ignorant, you’ll educate him.

Continuing from the article:

Feeling the heat of increased opposition to Common Core, Duncan said that those who oppose the new standards are “white suburban moms who – all of a sudden – their child isn’t as brilliant as they thought.” (That’s U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan)

(Well, now a little bit of racisim and insults to “white Mothers”)

Continuing the article:
Finally, in his description of the plans to achieve this goal, Duncan went on to tell UNESCO how the Obama administration used its Race to the Top stimulus bill grants to entice states to participate in the Common Core standards.

( I wondered where money would come into play; the Medicaid Expansion money worked so well, so let’s do it again seems the plan)

(The article gets worse, but you can read the rest here:

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM

But is he “clean and articulate”?

Robbin Hood on May 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM

The Boss Emeritus has a new column on TH today, wherein she shows Pence as a sleazy Common Core supporter. He’s also supported amnesty, so he’s a loser in my book.

Common Core = Commie Whore

ZeusGoose on May 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Common Core Continued…

It is no accident that the so-called “architect” of the Common Core standards is now president of the College Board. Barack Obama’s plan to “fundamentally transform” education into the latest social justice iteration has hit a road block, and David Coleman has come to save the day with a newer, “dumbed-down” SAT, so easy that almost anybody can get into college.

“So, in the name of this ‘social justice,’ the SAT is now being dumbed down so it will find more students ‘ready,’ whether truly ready or not,” he said. (Mr. Wurman)

Mr. Wurman is a former U.S. Department of Education official under President George W. Bush.

( Just a couple of changes of the “new” SAT:)

The deductions for guessing wrong are gone. Literally, there will be no harm in guessing.
Math will narrow to linear equations, functions, and proportions.

The scale on which scores are recorded will revert to the old 800 each on two sections, from the current 2,400 on three sections. (Goodbye essay points.)

( I didn’t attend College, so didn’t take the SAT. However, I can read and comprehend:-) (Dumbed down SAT sounds like a good description to me:-)

( I’d be interested on those HA college educateds’ opinion on the “new” SAT)

I have one more post to make and then I’m done with this Global Takeover of American Education.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Common Core = Commie Whore

ZeusGoose on May 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Thanks and I’ll read that as soon as I finish my Common Core posts.

I have no use for any American that will sell out their Country for money or being so ignorant that they will do so for whatever reason. But these Governors that try to deceive Americans by changing the name of this C.C. are despicable.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Mike Pence is one of the Boehner boy house leadership .

Give me the Real Deal , Sarah Palin 2016 .

Run Sarah Run

Unaffiliated4P on May 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

MaxMBJ on May 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Give me Sarah Palin 2016

Unaffiliated4P on May 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Mike Pence is one of the Boehner boy house leadership .

Give me the Real Deal , Sarah Palin 2016 .

Run Sarah Run

Unaffiliated4P on May 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I agree.

I know a lot of people (even on the right) dismiss Sarah as an air-headed lightweight. But they did the same to Reagan.

We’ve already had over 5 years with “the smartest man in the room (as long as he’s locked in a dark closet, alone)”

The only reason I voted for John Insane in ’08 was that I was gambling on the idiot old fool dropping dead, and Sarah taking over. That explains why the last time I went to Vegas was in 1980.

If nothing else, Palin vs. Killary would turn the “War on Womyns” into the “War of a Woman against a power hungry, lying, criminal old shrew (who may be able to prove she’s a woman/human with a DNA test)”

ZeusGoose on May 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Common Core Continued…

As Breitbart News observed recently, Coleman and the College Board have another agenda in mind, as well: student data collection–and not just for educational purposes.

In May of 2013, it was Coleman himself who noted at a Harvard Center for Education Policy Research conference that the Obama administration was quite pleased with Coleman’s acquisition of the services of many members of Obama’s Organizing for America (OFA) campaign to assist with student data collection for the College Board’s social justice effort. Jeremy Bird, Dan Wagner, and even Google’s CEO Eric Schmidt have all been tapped for student data collection as they were for Obama’s re-election campaign.

(The info I’ve posted should give everyone the actual plan and intent of Common Core.

HA needs a thread on this so everyone understands the ramifications of this takeover of our School & College System.)

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM

MM has a good column up about Pence and Common Core…

d1carter on May 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I just finished reading that. Will go back and read her links. I had no idea Hoosiers Against Common Core spearheaded the stunning ouster of Tony Bennett — and they started this in 2012!!

Great article by Malkin, thanks for posting it, as it contains a lot of background on her research.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM

ZeusGoose on May 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I read Malkin’s article on her website. TH conflicts with my PC.

Malkin has really been following this and that’s good.

bluefox on May 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I hope Pence gives 2016 a hard look..:)

Dire Straits on May 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Pence sucks.
He’s an amnesty and Common Core pimp.
I’ll pass.
AZCoyote on May 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Yes. I posted links above. He played a game a few years back that had to be orchestrated by the GOP big shots to backdoor slide in an amnesty plan. It was set up to be like Obamacare, in that you wouldn’t know what was in it until it had already passed.

That is the part I fear. When the chips were down, he pulled a lever on fooling the public.

IMHO it was like Obamacare, Someone made a decision it would be worth the backblow to slide it in, because once in, who cares what you think. When it blew up in his face (not in the MSM of course) it has since been erased from the collective Beltway memory chips.

No votes for certified sneaks.

And yes, someone is push polling Pence right now

entagor on May 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Mike Pence?????…….NO NO NO!

Squish.

PappyD61 on May 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Mike Pence? Ha!

The establishment is just going to keep throwing their picks at the wall until one sticks. They know there will be an actual Constitutional conservative or two in the race this time so they are determined to find someone they can trot out as “acceptable”.

The truth is, unless we somehow nominate and then elect someone who has the courage to go against the beltway mafia, it really doesnt matter who wins in 2016. Hillary, Jeb, Mike Pence…..they all lead towards Venezuela.

…and some Republican leaders have begun talking up Pence as an under-the-radar standard-bearer who could return the GOP to the White House, according to interviews with more than two dozen prominent Republicans.

translation– can we fool the rubes with this guy?

They rig the game. Reagan taught the GOP “leadership” a lesson….but it was the wrong one. Never let anyone we dont control get the nomination.

It will take a Herculean effort to beat the GOP….then an even bigger one to beat the Dems because the establishment will try and sabotage anyone they dont own.

The GOP is really no better as an organization than the Democrats. They just trick some into believing they are, as to keep the long con of the two party system going. I hate saying that but its kind of where my head is these days.

alecj on May 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

He does have Presidential hair.

motionview on May 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM