Crist: I left the GOP over its racism, or something

posted at 2:41 pm on May 7, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

This isn’t the most laughably absurd part of Charlie Crist’s explanation for his departure from the GOP, although it’s the most insulting to his former supporters and to everyone’s intelligence. No, the most absurd part of the claim comes when Crist declares that his love of political consistency demanded that he leave the GOP aaaaaand … abandon nearly every political position he ever had, especially on abortion. Instead, Crist played the race card, the gender card, and pretty much every card in the deck, including the joker:

“I couldn’t be consistent with myself, and my core beliefs, and stay with a party that was so unfriendly toward the African-American president. I’ll just go there,” Crist said, saying anti-Obama “activists” were “intolerable.”

“I couldn’t take it anymore,” Crist added.

Still, this is the context to remember before clicking the play button:

For the record, Crist left the GOP after getting his rear end handed to him in a primary fight — by a Hispanic named Marco Rubio. He also got got his rear end handed to him in the same general election, by the same person. If that seems like an odd application for the race card, well, you haven’t paid much attention to Crist and his endless ambition for political power. Even Huffington Post snickered at this claim.

In any rational world, a politician this openly dishonest would end up in political oblivion. Crist and Kay Hagan will give voters that opportunity this fall, and let’s hope they take it.

Comments

I sincerely wish “I’m a craven political opportunist” were a more socially acceptable explanation for things. It would avoid so much awkwardness.

SoRight on May 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

What a coward. Only once defeated does he suddenly find his principles.

Eva D. Struktion on May 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Dave Weigel, you magnificent bastard!

cbenoistd on May 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Well, I do despise orange-faced former governors of Florida.

obladioblada on May 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Well we were quite mean about his own rich orange color.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM

We aren’t against all Oompa Loompas, just cowardly ones who utterly devoid of any principles aside from themselves.

rbj on May 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM

JetBoy??

BigWyo on May 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Does he eat too many carrots or does he use those tanning pills?

Decoski on May 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM

We aren’t entirely against orange-skinned politicians, although Boehner is testing us.

Mr. D on May 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Heh,laugh of the day. This harlot is like Arlen Sphincter.

Schadenfreude on May 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

One can see why Crist would take issue with people that dislike certain skin colors.
But what his tan-in-a-bottle has to do with the GOP is beyond me.

JusDreamin on May 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Well, unfortunately, politics, like anything else involving power, attracts a lot of the psychopathic breed. And Crist is showing that in spades. Politicians, for the most part, will say whatever it takes to get elected. I suppose, in a certain way, one can’t blame them so much as the “low information voter” we have criticized so much. Fool me once, shame on you – fool me twice….

Chuck Ef on May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM

so unfriendly toward the African-American president.

So when he looks at Hussein, cheetoboy doesn’t see an
anti-American tinpot jihady waging a militant marxist war on American people while enjoying million dollar taxpayer paid vacations.
All he sees is a black man .
So WHO is racist again ?

burrata on May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Charlie Crist is race hustling unprincipled ass clown.

Whitey Ford on May 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Yes anything that the republicans oppose is due to race.

/s

watertown on May 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Sadly, the mere fact he’ll have a (D) after his name on the ballot ensures at least 47% of the vote down here.

I wish we could just box up the voters in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area along with the ones living in the I-4 corridor and ship them to the leftist utopia known as The People’s Republic of California.

Common Sense Floridian on May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Pander Bare.

Joe Mama on May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I am racist against orange, jello spined losers.

TinFin on May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM

“I couldn’t be consistent with myself, and my core beliefs, and stay with a party that was so unfriendly toward the African-American orange president governor. I’ll just go there,” Crist said, saying anti-Obama “activists” were “intolerable.”

“I couldn’t take it anymore,” Crist added.

Fezzik on May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM

barkys joke about orange being the new black now makes sense.

a sultry nite with crist vs one with reggie love.

renalin on May 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I’m really hope this guy will lose again. Praying for Governor Scott.

GOPRanknFile on May 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I guess there’s no better way to ingratiate yourself with your new party than to trot out every single one of their canards.

crrr6 on May 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Instead, Crist played the race card

Well, then it is official. He’s a confirmed democrat.

BacaDog on May 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM

O/T Tim Pawlenty spotted on Fox telling us GOP needs an agenda that speaks to low-income Americans. I thought we already did. Three letter word, J-O-B-S. If Tim went back to his conservative principles instead of pandering to this group and that, he would know that lower taxes and the government getting the hell out of the way (pipeline) will speak to low income Americans in the form of a paycheck. Do we really need to look to these losers on how to WIN? Like they know!

TinFin on May 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM

It is sad really, to make this claim in the face of all the abuse Col. Allen West suffered at the hands of Democrats in Florida. When did Crist to stand up for West?

canditaylor68 on May 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Didn’t he anger the MSM by saying in a speech “I live Paycheck to Paycheck, just like you!” ?
And then leave in a limo to a private plane?
Just cut the BS and announce “Black people, you’re all I’ve got”

Marcus on May 7, 2014 at 3:05 PM

What a coward. Only once defeated does he suddenly find his principles.

Eva D. Struktion on May 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

…you’re weak and wetarted…go back to the septic field!

KOOLAID2 on May 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Interesting. The same year Chuck Crist lost his Senate race, Republican voters elected Marco Rubio, Allen West, Tim Scott, and Nikki Haley. And the RNC chairman at the time was Michael Steele. What exactly is it that Crist wants from his former party?

Doughboy on May 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Eva D. Stroke’em on May 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

…you can’t even do that!

KOOLAID2 on May 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM

The Republican Party hates orange people.

Go Crist, Go! And take Boehner with you!

Alberta_Patriot on May 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Doughboy on May 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM

A free ride.

Alberta_Patriot on May 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Such a noble man is Charlie Crist. Always fighting on the side of the angels.

Pincher Martin on May 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Ohhh Jetboy.. ;)

melle1228 on May 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Common Sense Floridian on May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Ditto

Vero Beach Florida on May 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Was joana with us in 2010?

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I wish McDumbass and Ghramnesty would do the same.

nobar on May 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I’ve said it before, this duplicitous @sshat will say anything to try and get elected. Gov. Scott may not be perfect but the State has come along way from where Crist left it. But the Dems down in South Florida will vote for Crist anyway.

major dad on May 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Meanwhile, lawless

Schadenfreude on May 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

This. A million times, this.

KMC1 on May 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

17m
Consumers increased borrowing in March by the largest amount in more than a year, using their credit cards and taking out more auto and student loans – @CNBC

All is well!

LOL the crash is going to be so freaking huge.

Murphy9 on May 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Crist is learning how the Democrats do it. If you can’t win, yell race! If there is not a race issue, make one up. The guy is a loser, and even the Dems know this.

koolbob on May 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Jeb Bush chose this loser Orange Charlie to be our next governor. He has as much integrity as Little Jebbie and his lapdog waterboy Screwbio, NONE.

The corruption is systemic.

Jayrae on May 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM

How old was this guy when he left the party? 56? Either Crist is a racist who was a major figure in a racist organization. Or he exceedingly stupid and couldn’t figure out it was a racist organization. Or he’s a liar.

forest on May 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Racist this,sexist that blah blah Crist…

sorrowen on May 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM

LOL. His “core beliefs”? Crist’s only core belief is that he should say or do anything, no matter how dishonest, hypocritical, or downright sleazy, that will get him a headline or a camera stuck in his ugly face.

You’re a disgrace, Crist.

AZCoyote on May 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM

So, lemme get this straight:

Crist loses the Republican primary to Marco Rubio, then runs as an Independent to get a Senate seat, loses that race, THEN switches to the Democrat party because Republicans are racist.

That about right?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Remember when people said things like “I don’t care if your white, black, orange or green. I like people from all races!” I used to think, ‘that’s stupid, there aren’t any orange people.’ How wrong I was.

Mitochondrion on May 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Jason Linkins should avoid television.

bhj on May 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

JetBoy??

BigWyo on May 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM

When asked about Christ, Jetboy couldn’t be reached for comment. Later this reporter tracked him down though at his favorite stripclub “HootchieMamas”, and he said “No comment.”

melle1228 on May 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

The sad thing is that it is stunningly obvious to everybody that Crist is a ridiculous fraud and a clown and that he still stands a good chance to become governor down here in Florida.

Red Widow on May 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

‘Intolerable’ Racism Is A ‘Big Reason’ Why I Left The GOP

No kidding, it took a while to see you for what you were and to get rid of you. The GOP is much better without you and your racism staining it and it’s no surprise not only that you’ve taken up with the Party of Racism, but also that the Party of Racism has embraced you.

Dusty on May 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Christ is just mad that everyone is racist against orange people.

melle1228 on May 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Crist is a racist. He’s also a progressive liberal, which generally speaking is one in the same anyway.

He’ll never be anything else, just a power hungry, greedy, liberal progressive corrupt pig.

Diluculo on May 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM

He left the GOP because they were not racists. He wanted to win because he is white.

TerryW on May 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Crist thought HE could beat Rubio, but didn’t think Kendrick Meek could. So doesn’t he think that white democrats, and the white independants that would vote for him are racists?

BuzzCrutcher on May 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM

He’s crazier than Lyndon LaRouche.

Ward Cleaver on May 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM

The little hug and kiss of Barry a couple years ago was the clue that this was coming.

Chris Christie next to jump? To join Hillary’s ticket perhaps?

slickwillie2001 on May 7, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I love their desperation.

Schadenfreude on May 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Red Widow on May 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM

The only reason why Orange Charlie does is because Jeb Bush couldn’t mind is own freakin’ business. He hampered Gov. Scott every time he could. When Scott flip/flopped on Dumb-0-scare he sealed his doom.

If you run as TEA and govern like gopE who needs you.

Corrupt Jeb Bush still has too much to say in how Florida is run. The Florida gopE politicians are loyal to Little Jebbie not Governor Scott.

Jayrae on May 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Man, I sure do hate oompah-loompahs.

connertown on May 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Republicans are racists because they exclude Orange people.

Steve Z on May 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Man, I sure do hate oompah-loompahs.

connertown on May 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM

You damn oompahphobic racist..

melle1228 on May 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Gee it’s hard to understand why he lost to Rubio!

faol on May 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM

He and John Edwards should team up and put on a show like Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly.

HakerA on May 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM

After Charlie loses, he can follow the trail that Arlen Specter blazed, all the way to the rubber-chicken B-rated comedy circuit.

slickwillie2001 on May 7, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Projection

agmartin on May 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Where’s that gal, joana, who constantly runs down “TruCon” candidates? Well, Crist is a guy the GOP establishment fully supported against Marco Rubio. How did that turn out?

TarheelBen on May 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I live in FLorida, a great place to live. But I have serious concerns about whether the electorate here is smart enough to send this twit packing.

JeffPBlues on May 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Republicans are racists because they exclude Orange people.

Steve Z on May 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM

LMAO

JeffPBlues on May 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Didn’t I read that Crist had a 10 point lead over his opponent?

What does that say about the Republican Party?

No Chop Charlie on May 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Scott having Jeb’s support will help, especially once he goes out there and starts campaigning for him.

GOPRanknFile on May 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Pond scum looks at Crist and shivers. “Eeck! I won`t want any Crist on me!”

ThePrez on May 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM

No Chop Charlie on May 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Rasmussen as of 4/24 has Crist up 45/39. There are some days when I look at my state and think “we can’t possibly become any stupider.” Then I fly down to South Florida and realize I don’t have a clue.

We are going to have that piece of garbage as our next governor, and it truly disgusts me.

USNCVN on May 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

TarheelBen on May 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Yep, Christ joins such loyal GOPe names such as Spector, Scozzafavva, and Chaffee. All those that we considered to be RINOS who eventually showed their true colors.

melle1228 on May 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM

*facepalm*

JetBoy on May 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

*facepalm*

JetBoy on May 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

He is your albatross.. LMAO!

melle1228 on May 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

A Charlie Crist relative?

tanked59 on May 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Let’s start with I’m from Florida. Charlie Crist will saying anything to get elected, that’s probably why the Democrats are letting him run for Governor, he fits right in with them. Once you understand that about Charlie, all of this makes sense. However, I would recommend you don’t look for that kernel of truth in what he says, since it’s seldom there.

bflat879 on May 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Trying to get his foot back in the door. Not much power out there in the real world is there.

crankyoldlady on May 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Was joana with us in 2010?

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM

…she was an ingrown hair…on George Soro’s ass!

KOOLAID2 on May 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

What a pathetic loser. Maybe Crist can French kiss Obama, Brezhnev style.

Krupnikas on May 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM