Sen. Kay Hagan doubling down on the bogus claim that her top opponent supports ObamaCare as North Carolina primaries begin

posted at 1:21 pm on May 6, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The Republican primary to select the candidate that will officially challenge Democrat Kay Hagan for her U.S. Senate seat this November is going down today, and all signs are currently pointing to Thom Tillis, the speaker of North Carolina’s House of Representatives. Via the NYT:

The Republican Party will watch nervously on Tuesday when the first of a series of key primaries to select Senate nominees is held in North Carolina, one of the states where the races are likely to determine which party controls Congress. …

Recent polls suggest that Mr. Tillis has a comfortable lead over his three opponents, but it is not clear whether he can win the 40 percent he needs to prevent a runoff in July. …

The possibility of a runoff worries the Republican leadership. For one thing, it would force Mr. Tillis and outside groups like Crossroads to spend more money on the nominating process, siphoning resources from the general campaign. And as long as the nomination is unsettled, many national groups are likely to withhold their endorsements and money. …

“If Tillis is tied up in a runoff till mid-July, it knocks a few points off his chances of beating Hagan in November,” said Charlie Cook, the editor of The Cook Political Report, which tracks congressional races.

Team Hagan, however, would just love for that Republican runoff scenario to happen, the better to drag out the primary and potentially take her eventual opponent down a few pegs in the eyes of the public in the process. That’s why her campaign has been involving itself in the primary proceedings by doubling down on a deliberately misleading, out-of-context portrayal of Tillis as a supporter of ObamaCare. Via WaPo:

The fliers landed in the mailboxes of Republican voters here last week with a warning likely to unnerve many conservatives.

Thom Tillis, the Republican front-runner for a U.S. Senate seat, once called President Obama’s health-care law “a great idea,” the mailer said. The assertion echoed recent radio ads that also seem to question Tillis’s adherence to the orthodoxy of a party that has made its opposition to the Affordable Care Act a centerpiece of its midterm-election strategy.

But the warnings didn’t come from any of the seven opponents Tillis will face in Tuesday’s GOP primary, where he has been regularly attacked as not conservative enough. Instead, they were paid for by Sen. Kay Hagan, a Democrat who will face the eventual GOP nominee in November.

Hagan supports the health-care law but she is taking the unusual step of spending money on advertisements designed to appeal to Republican voters who are skeptical of the measure. The maneuver is apparently intended to undermine enthusiasm in the GOP base for the Republican who is considered her strongest potential challenger in November.

Just for the record, here’s what Tillis actually said during the February radio interview to which Team Hagan is disingenuously referring:

“The majority of the stuff that is in Obamacare is bad, because it’s not fiscally sustainable. It’s a great idea that can’t be paid for. Let’s focus on the net problem versus a policy that’s creating as many problems as it fixes in terms of healthcare, and then it’s also policy that’s creating the most devastating problem of a deficit that we can’t afford.”

I think all reasonable people can easily recognize that Tillis was just making the point that, sure, universal health coverage certainly sounds like a lovely idea in theory, but the execution thereof through a top-down federal program is neither workable, sustainable, nor affordable, and that it actually creates more and bigger problems than it solves. Obviously. That Team Hagan is trying to square that out-of-context quote with, oh, I don’t know — her actual “yes” vote for ObamaCare — is a sure sign of just how desperate they really are.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good on you for sticking to your guns.
I don’t have a dog in this fight, so I was simply pointing out my negative perception of you. I think a majority here would likely agree with me.

You attack fellow conservatives like Clintons attack Bill’s sexual assault victims.

Just keep at it. I’m sure all these low information voters will come around.

airupthere on May 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I’ll take you seriously when I see you writing anything criticizing the people who attack me with nothing but name-calling.

Then, and only them, I might have patience for that meta nonsense.

Until then, feel free to try to explain why should any conservative vote for a 9/11 Truther, convicted fraudster and serial gaffer over the leader of the most conservative legislature in the entire country.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Vote Common Core and Amnesty.

Vote for Jeb’s boy Tillis!

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

No. NOT likely. The low-info set doesn’t vote in primaries. The more savvy republicans do, and they will recognize this as an obvious lie. If anything, this will backfire and gain supporters for Tillis.

Besides, 98% of those fliers go straight into the garbage. Nobody reads that crap.

Archer on May 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Vote Common Core and Amnesty.

Vote for Jeb’s boy Tillis!

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Tillis is against Common Core and Amnesty. I can also start posting comments saying Brannon is in favour of Common Core or Amnesty.

Additionally, he isn’t a 9/11 Truther or convicted fraudster. Oh, he also isn’t Hagan – the one who actually be the next NC Senator if Tillis doesn’t win the primary.

If Brannon wins this primary, forget about Obamacare or Benghazi. The next election will be about Greg Brannon’s craziness and what it says about the GOP.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

That is not correct, and I posted proof on the previous page. Do you always lie to advance your GOP?

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Proof?

I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

Here’s what you posted:

Yet, he spoke to the NC Farm Bureau using some of the familiar ‘code words’ of the pro-amnesty crowd. Tillis has warmly embraced some Super PACs that have campaigned aggressively FOR gay marriage and FOR amnesty. Speaker Thom has also been endorsed by pro-amnesty warriors like Renee Ellmers and Jeb Bush — who has described illegal immigration as “an act of love.”

You posted campaign material from the convicted fraudster and 9/11 Truther saying Tillis is pro-amnesty because:

- he allegedly “used familiar code words”. What does that even mean? What words?

- he’s supported by Jeb Bush, bla, bla, bla. Just like Brannon is supported by pro-amnesty Rand Paul, Kay Hagan and other pro-amnesty liberal democrats

Pro tip: when your case against a guy is that he “used familiar code words” (??) and the beliefs of his endorsers, you don’t have a case.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’m sorry, joana, but that is an inaccurate and somewhat misleading statement.

Tillis has aligned himself with the Chamber of Commerce of these issues. There’s ample evidence to show that he has done so. Murphy9 has already posted that evidence. You’re more than welcome to read over it. If you do so, and you’re willing to be objective about it, then you’ll acknowledge that people have their reasons for questioning where Tillis’ loyalties lie…to the CoC or to NC?

Brannon has his share of issues as well. Neither one of them is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. We’ll just have to wait and see what choice voters make.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Then again, I should know better than trying to discuss with 9/11 Truthers like Murphy9.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Heh! If hadn’t already voted, I’d be tempted to go and vote for Brannon, right now, just out of spite.

That’s how effective your tactics are, joana

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Then, and only them, I might have patience for that meta nonsense.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Unless your persecution complex is carrying over from another thread, I am missing something larger than Chris Christie’s appetite.

In your very first comment on this article you threw out a charge of being “know-nothings”.

If the condescension that drips from your posts were water, you could flood an Olympic sized swimming pool.

The attacks and condescension originated from your keyboard.

airupthere on May 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Ample evidence: according to BRannon supporters, he “used familiar code words” in some random event.

Ample evidence.

You can’t be taken seriously when you use that sort of arguments. Try to learn this, honestly. You might hate me but I’d actually love if you guys could learn this. Normal people -people who aren’t ideological and don’t really care much about politics- don’t buy this kind of crap. This is why TruCons do so awful in general elections and tarnish the GOP brand so badly.

Anyway, if you have evidence, present it. Show Tillis words supporting amnesty. His words. A tape, a text, anything. Even if indirectly. What his crazy opponent supporters call “familiar code words” without even saying what words are those won’t cut. Deep down, you know that’s just baloney.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM

That’s how effective your tactics are, joana

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Aww. Someone’s a little over-emotional and childish. Cute. Voting out of spite because of some internet comments.

If this doesn’t tell you that you have problems, I’m not sure what will.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Well, bless your heart /

What I understand is human nature, which apparently you either don’t or are foolish enough to disregard it in considering how to interact with other human beings.

But by all means, continue on. This is a sure fire way to get out last minute voters for someone other than Tillis.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

The attacks and condescension originated from your keyboard.

airupthere on May 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Of course it carries from other threads, but why isn’t know-nothing an accurate description for someone who claims the “pure conservative” in the race is the Kay Hagan endorsed and paid for candidate who’s a 9/11 Truther and convicted fraudster?

Didn’t you read them? They flat out admitted they were voting for him because “Mark Levin told me so and that’s good enough for me”. I’m not paraphrasing, this was an actual comment. They deserve to be shamed and ridiculed. The best way of dealing with anyone who supports conspiracy theorists like 9/11 Truthers is through ridicule.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

You claimed that Tillis is pro-amnesty.

You were challenged to prove it.

Are you admitting to be a liar as well? Besides supporting the candidate paid for Kay Hagan and liberal Democrat Super Pacs?

If you’re lying, show us when, where and how Tillis supported any sort of amnesty or anything that could be constructed as such.

If you won’t, that will tell us a lot about your morals, won’t it? People like you should be ashamed of calling yourself conservatives.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

airupthere on May 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

If you decide to follow through in this discussion with joana…more power to you. I seem to recall words of wisdom imparted to me elsewhere about choosing battles wisely, and it’s definitely nothing more than an exercise in futility in dealing with ms. joana.

So, I’ll leave it with you and wish you well in it.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It’s already been proven. The evidence has already been provided.

I’m not interested in discussing anything with you. You’re too condescending and patronizing for me to enjoy discussing anything with you.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

You should go back to the rnc and demand a pay raise for the yeoman’s work you are doing today.

RickB on May 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Wow! Hagan’s a lying Dem! Harry’s harlot. Big surprise. After she loses the election she can move to NV with her dirty old pimp since prostitution’s legal there.

russedav on May 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

It’s already been proven. The evidence has already been provided.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

There was no evidence provided. There was a quote from a Brannon supporter claiming that Tillis is pro-amnesty because he said “familiar code words” in some event. This isn’t evidence. If anything, this is evidence Tillis isn’t pro-amnesty: if he were, why would the Kay Haggan/Greg Brannon campaign have to resort to this kind of stuff?

I’m not condescending or patronizing. You don’t enjoy discussing with me because I call you out on your BS. You don’t get away with claiming that “his opponent said he said ‘familiar code words’ in some random event somewhere – even though we weren’t even told what words were those” is evidence. That’s what irritates you. I hope that at least you’re able to be honest with yourself.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

RickB on May 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn’t doubt for a second that joana is an operative of the RNC.

Even though they the conveyed arrogance and disdain never fails to irritate me, it always reminds of the lack of respect the RNC has for voter and why they can not ever be trusted at face value.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM

The last poll had Tillis dropping to 40 percent and Brannon surging upward. I suspect Tillis will finish under 40 percent and then he’s doomed.

K. Hobbit on May 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM

joana’s tone is extremely irritating.

That said, I’ll shamelessly admit that right now I’m banging my head against a brick wall at the thought that, not being a NC resident, I made a couple of donations to Brannon. I confess I had no idea about some of the stuff I read here. Bummer. Oh well.

droponov on May 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Joanna- I don’t give a rats behind on your interpretation of Brannon’s 9/11 comments. It’s inconsequential to whether or not he will stand and fight against the federal leviathon and in favor of federalism. Brannon understands the basic pricipals or our Republic; in my opinion Tillis does not and will represent North Carolina in a pragmatic fashion. This will only contribute to our slow demise and fiscal collapse.

I’m not chasing your squirrel issues. Brannon will vote more conservative. Deep down you know that to be true.

Meat Fighter on May 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Tillis is GOPe to his core. Look at who he’s drawing funding from. He’s no conservative.

Before you carry on about how Brannon is a “convicted fraudster,” something he is not as he lost as heavily as anyone else in the matter on which he was “convicted” by a Hagan donor/supporter, you might want to give some thought to what you say. Brannon offered to make losses good from his own money, but was sued for reasons beyond anyone’s ken.

You want Amnesty, or any other establishment piece of trash thrown in your face, then Tillis is the man.

Quartermaster on May 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Who told you that? Is that from talk-radio or the Paulite sites? It’s the third time I’m hearing/reading that stuff today.

Brannon was convicted on a jury trial.

If Brannon wins the nomination, TV ads with his childhood friends telling how he stole their money will be all Hagan needs, fair or not. His statements on 9/11, food stamps and slavery, democracy and socialism and other stuff he’s said and inevitably will say again in the future will be brought up in every other race in the country to make the point of how horrible Republicans are.

You can’t nominate 9/11 Truthers and convicted fraudsters.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Quartermaster on May 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM

He’s drawing his fund from many of those who funded Ted Cruz or Mike Lee.

He’s not drawing his fund from Kay Hagan and liberal Democrat super PACs that are banking Brannon campaign just like they did with Akin.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Sadly for you, a large majority of the NC electorate will.

I mean, perhaps you believe Kay Hagan is in the tank for Brannon because she’s a friend of liberty.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM

joana’s tone is extremely irritating.

droponov on May 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I don’t care what people think about me as long as the message passes.

And TruCons only understand the language of shame and ridicule. You can’t get to them with nuanced or sophisticated speech because their political minds were shaped by the screaming and demagoguery of talk radio. The form follows the function.

I’d rather use a different tone, but I know for a fact this is what works with them, regardless of all the protests.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Nuance is what has gotten this country into the hole it’s in.

K. Hobbit on May 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Meanwhile, look at this

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

29/130 ain’t bad. What they paying you?

joana on May 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM
joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM
joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM
joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM
joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Well, guess what, I’ve read maybe two of your posts and paid attention to two fewer than that.

So I don’t think your strategery is as sound as you surmise.

The Schaef on May 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Outright lying elected Obama twice.

It is the only chance of most Democrats in most elections other than their deep blue enclaves of mind-dead drones.

To expect Hagan to tell the truth is just not realistic.

Adjoran on May 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM
That’s a lot of moby like behavior(shudders).

flackcatcher on May 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

joana on May 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Boring boor is boring.

katy the mean old lady on May 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I just voted for Brannon…There was some Dem outside the polling area telling me that voting for Brannon would insure Hagan would win. Now, if that was true, why wouldn’t he encourage me to vote for Brannon…you can always tell who a Dem is afraid of. If Tillis gets the nomination, then I think Hagan will win because it is one of those what’ the difference races…Tillis is just a Dem in Repub clothing.

Puma for Life on May 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM

So I don’t think your strategery is as sound as you surmise.

The Schaef on May 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Does that include the one you’re commenting?

Outright lying elected Obama twice.

To expect Hagan to tell the truth is just not realistic.

Adjoran on May 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

The fact that there are still people who claim to be conservatives willing to nominate Brannon – and the practical corollary of nominating Brannon is re-electing Hagan- show this type of tactics are effective.

joana on May 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM

OK, this is coming from someone who isn’t in NC so what I have is what I see here. I know I’m not going to get the truth from the media.

Now, forget about Tillis for the moment….

If half the stuff joana has said about Brannon is true (and she has some pretty convincing links), she’s right, like it or not.

And even if none of it is true, it’s obviously out there already, and will be used in exactly the same way as if it was all completely true. Which means it will be used exactly as joana has said, and I think all of us know it. On the other hand, if it is true, it will affect more than the NC race. And I think we all know that too.

That being said, the evidence provided that purported to show that Tillis was an amnesty supporter was pretty weak sauce. Surely, if he truly is, there is better evidence. Showing better evidence would have the effect of avoiding further infighting, I would hope. Infighting is not gonna help anyone but democrats.

runawayyyy on May 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM

American Opportunity Alliance to push GOP more moderate – @mikeallen reports on @MSNBCMorningJoe: http://politi.co/1dHVgqS

Push the GOP left. You know, for electability.

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM

It really explains the hostility and hubris. AOA is just a Wall Street advocacy group out to preserve the interests of the American Oligarchs. No wonder their spokesperson to the “little” people would be so strident. SPIN cuts that check then?

Murphy9 on May 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

runawayyyy on May 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I am NC. The environment here of late is anti-Establishment. Very much so. (They can thank Renee Ellmers for that)

Tillis has ties in that direction. Voters have questions about where his loyalties lie. They don’t want to get to played by just another big government liar.

Can’t blame them for that.

This has caused more people to give Brannon the benefit of the doubt on some things where they might not have done so otherwise.

That’s basically how it is.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Tillis is an Amnesty and Pro Federal gun control freak. The Tea Party is totally against this guy. Go Greg Brannon!

livermush on May 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Kay wants Tillis because she will stomp him.

livermush on May 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Election results for primary in NC

Not sure how quickly this site will be reporting, so here’s a local news site that will be following election returns as well.

lineholder on May 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Hagan is despicable

Conservchik on May 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Does that include the one you’re commenting?

joana on May 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Aaaaand just like that you’ve lost the minuscule amount of interest that existed.

The Schaef on May 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM