Video: GOP Senate candidate ready to roll up on her Harley and double-tap the ACA

posted at 11:21 am on May 5, 2014 by Allahpundit

It’s Joni Ernst, whom you’ll remember from her last ad vowing to make Beltway types squeal just like the hogs she castrated as a kid. That spot put her on the map nationally. A few weeks later she was ahead in the GOP primary despite being outspent by her nearest rival, and a few weeks after that she landed Sarah Palin’s endorsement (“I haven’t been this excited about a candidate in quite a while”). Here she is in full Mama Grizzly mode, which has The Wire claiming that “Senate Candidate Joni Ernst’s Sarah Palin Schtick is Now Beyond Parody.” But she’s winking at the schtick, no? Both this spot and the castration ad seem firmly tongue-in-cheek to me; compare and contrast Joe Manchin’s famous commercial from the 2010 campaign, when he put a bullet in the cap-and-trade bill, with this one of Ernst taking target practice. The vibe in Manchin’s ad was somber to the point of being almost grim, all “I mean business.” The vibe in this one, thanks to the over-the-top music and Ernst’s cheeriness, is sunny while signaling that she’s a woman of the people. That’s no accident, either: If she makes it through the primary, the Democrat who’s waiting for her in the general is Bruce “Do we really want farmers in Congress?” Braley.

If Ernst pulls the upset, she’ll be the first woman ever elected to Congress — either chamber — from Iowa. Gonna be some highly nuanced “war on women” messaging from Democrats there this fall. Exit question: What’s next ad-wise for Ernst? After castration and gunshots, how does she up the ante yet again? I’m imagining her in that Sigourney Weaver rig from the end of “Aliens,” battling a monster while the narrator intones metaphorically about spending, but alas, she probably doesn’t have the budget for that.

Comments

I’m really starting to like her.

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM

SC declines, again.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

That would be awesome! Okay, I admit it, I want some quirky ads this year.

upinak on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Reenact the “Kill Bill” Crazy 88′s scene.

Bishop on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Now that’s how you handle a weapon.

Wendy Davis holds rifle.

NotCoach on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I wonder how long you have to reside in Iowa to be able to vote?

vnvet on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Bruce “Do we really want farmers in Congress?” Braley.

Yes – and engineers, and doctors, and busiess people, and… – ANYTHING BUT more lawyers.
We’ve got too many dam lawyers in congress – which is why the average person can’t do their own taxes and nobody has a clue at any given instant WHICH law(s) they are breaking.

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM

OT – this will drive the left mad, mad, mad, hallelujah!!!

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Wendy Davis holds rifle.

NotCoach on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Hey now – thet thar be a non-lethal skeeter gun dontcha know….
Slo Joe approves…..

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Agreed.

What would be even better? An average person, with a small degree, a small business owner, and a “normal” average american life with a mortgage and little savings, and a good head on their shoulders who doesn’t deal with BS. This person would be the bane of any electoral seat.

upinak on May 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I wonder how long you have to reside in Iowa to be able to vote?

vnvet on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Well, if you’re a democrat, no time at all. In fact, you might not ever have had to visit Iowa. Or, currently be living.

trigon on May 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM

wonder how long you have to reside in Iowa to be able to vote?

vnvet on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

If you’re a democrat you don’t have to live in the state or even be alive.

celtic warrior on May 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I am so totally in love with Joni Ernst – sorry MK, but my attention span is poor.

That said, the previous ad was better. But true love knows no bounds. And anyway, it’s an OK ad. Wish I could “double tap” the ACA. Or triple. Nuke?

Chuck Ef on May 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I’m pretty sure pointing a gun at anything with “Obama” on it is red meat to MSNBC. Speaking of which, love the Newsbusters segment today “What if Fox News had done it?” about having a white producer in a sombrero stumble across the stage on Cinco de Mayo in a drunk stupor drinking Tequila on a morning show. Yuck yuck. What if Fox News had done it, indeed.

Marcus on May 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I wonder how long you have to reside in Iowa to be able to vote?

vnvet on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

trigon on May 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM

He11 – in Colorado, thanks to the Dems, you don’t actually have to live anywhere ot vote – just state at the polls that you intend to move there and you can register and vote at the same time.

Any wonder why Colorado has gone blue – besides the lack of oxygen – which may be a relevant factor now that I think about it.

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM

celtic warrior on May 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Beat you to it by this much.

;-)

trigon on May 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Meh. A real lady would ride side-saddle.

Axe on May 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

My kind of woman ,yep gonna have to like her

j.p.hammerhead on May 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Love this ad.

KMC1 on May 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Jodi Ernst Blofeld 2014

Doughboy on May 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM

BTW, that’s a Smith and Wesson.

butch on May 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I’m sensing a lot more gravitas from Ernst than I ever did from Palin. She seems folksy but doesn’t project an anti-intellectual vibe that turns voters off.

I like this woman. If I were a Hawkeye, I’d vote for her all the way through.

KingGold on May 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

LtC Ernst makes me almost want to admit that I’m from Iowa.
*I was born in Iowa, to an Iowan father, and lived there until I was 3. I’m not an Illinois native. Thank Gosh. LoL*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

If I were a Hawkeye, I’d vote for her all the way through.

KingGold on May 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Someone to keep an eye on for sure.

upinak on May 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I like her. She seems to be the perfect candidate for Iowa. I hope she gets the nomination.

GOPRanknFile on May 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM

More and More of these Women coming to the forefront…

..THIS is what happens when you have a Party full of
men like McCain who quipped “You don’t have anything to fear
from an Obama Presidency”, and Romney, who stated
“He’s just in over his head”, when he was being accused of
causing a woman to die from Cancer….

..Eff all the old Fools..I’m all in supporting these women…
Palin is Number 1. She of the Alaska Wilderness, was Born
for Battle….if the gal from Iowa excells at cutting
nuts off of Hogs, then riding a Hog, count me in…

maybe the so called Men of the GOPe will one day learn how
to Fight…..

ToddPA on May 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM

“Gonna be some highly nuanced “war on women” messaging from Democrats there this fall.”

I know you meant “nuanced” ironically (because liberal “nuance” is hypocrisy), but the whole sentence should be taken sarcastically instead. They won’t even aim for “nuance.”

Crispian on May 5, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I like this woman. If I were a Hawkeye, I’d vote for her all the way through.

KingGold on May 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Well, she’d be replacing Tom Harkin so you get a couple of positives.

butch on May 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM

OT, it’s not a good day for D-rats, and assorted Rs.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Beware conservatives! From the look of that target I’d say she was a “gun control” advocate.

Lolo on May 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I like her too. She’s not as smug and pompous as King Gold.

Dongemaharu on May 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Dems : “War on women!!!!!!! ”

GOP : Women warriors

questionmark on May 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM

OT, it’s not a good day for D-rats, and assorted Rs.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Wow. I think you need four to grant cert. If so, that would mean that the four libs couldn’t agree to pull the case for SCOTUS review. Then, again, maybe the libs wanted to pass for fear of creating some adverse precedent, while, say, Kennedy and Roberts decided that they didn’t want to deal with the mess.

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Pandering to the country bumpkins! Good for a few laughs and maybe a vote or two. But what about the real issues in America? Can she see all veiwpoints and form a coherent dialog without pistol whipping some poor slob in DC. I am sure Boner is ready for her(not). To bad his nuts are already taken by the One!

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

What’s next ad-wise for Ernst?

Maybe something a little bit more substantive about where she stands on the issues? Legalization of pot? Amnesty? SSM?

Though, being fron Iowa, it is a given that she fully support farm subsidies for corn.

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

***

KingGold on May 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I like her too. She’s not as smug and pompous as King Gold.

Dongemaharu on May 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Hah!

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Yeah baby.

jake49 on May 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I suggest you hire someone to tutor you in English…immediately.

GOPRanknFile on May 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Oh please, even if she were to see all viewpoints and form a coherent dialog….. who the hell is she going to talk to? Dems? ROTFLMAO! Dems are the most stupid, lazy, partisan group around. It would be an upgrade to dialog with those castrated hogs than to talk to a partisan slut like Nancy Pelosi.

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM

***

Can she see all veiwpoints viewpoints and form a coherent dialog without pistol whipping some poor slob in DC. I am sure Boner is ready for her(not). To Too bad his nuts are already taken by the One!

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Strictly speaking, just how does one person “form a coherent dialog”? Won’t that person risk having himself or herself involuntarily committed?

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Well, I’m pretty sure Bruce Braley isn’t a country bumpkin and we know he has all Iowan’s interests at heart.\ Like fighting against allowing tort reform. Do you really think Tom Harkin saw all viewpoints?

butch on May 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

But she’s winking at the schtick, no?

Didn’t even have to look to know that was AP’s writing.

Cleombrotus on May 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

They all will. It’ll be a litmus test.

butch on May 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I am a country bumpkin.

I guess food, isn’t exactly an issue to you? You know Iowa = corn and cows = food.

You can’t have a pistol in D.C. without a permit and you have to live there, so your analogy is off.

I doubt she cries as much a Boehner, but then I am sure she cries less than you do into your pillow.

And I am sure she has large brass ones, then they both do.

Anything else you want to whine about?

upinak on May 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM

SC declines, again.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

And here’s me thinking you were probably posting something infuriating about Lindsey Graham doing well in the polls.

Midas on May 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Please define “all viewpoints” because I’m fairly certain you have “not a clue” what you’re talking about. While we’re at it, pick a topic and let’s see how you do in seeing “all viewpoints.”

But at first glance, your words do sound good . . . just as long as no one looks beneath the cover of such moronic statements.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on May 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM

This ad will have libs heads exploding! A woman shooting a gun! They can’t, they’re not smart enough to handle a firearm by themselves…they need a rape whistle!

rightside on May 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Silly me. I would like to see a few Slobs in DC get
pistol whipped, from someone who has a viewpoint they
stand up for, and don’t back down on when called names…

ToddPA on May 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I’d prefer an honest country bumpkin to a backstabbing liberal lawyer any day of the week!

By the way, you misspelled “veiwpoints”.

dominigan on May 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I live here in Iowa.

Establishment pick Mark Jacobs is well funded and flooding the airwaves with ads.

Not seeing many Ernst ads to be honest but I will vote for her.

tcufrog on May 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Ernst is one of our local names here. I need to check if she’a related. German name.

crankyoldlady on May 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Hopefully she will appeal to the general electorate and not just to the internet bloggers…

mnjg on May 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Silly me. I would like to see a few Slobs in DC get
pistol whipped, from someone who has a viewpoint they
stand up for, and don’t back down on when called names…

ToddPA on May 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM

++++++++……

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Remember those Colorado government suggestions to women about urinating or vomiting on someone tryingto assault them? I suspect Lt Colonel Ernst wouldn’t follow those suggestions.

butch on May 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

For her next ad she needs to incorporate the photo of the Girly Man in Chief aboard his little girl’s bike, with his oversized helmet in place, wearing his little shorts with pencil legs poking out of them. The contrast between a REAL woman and a wannabe girly would be startling.

NOMOBO on May 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Greatest Senate commercial of all time.

K. Hobbit on May 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Cancel that ….

If she had Ted Nugent’s Stranglehold playing in the background, it would be the greatest Senate commercial of all time.

K. Hobbit on May 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM

butch on May 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

No – but I’ll bet she could make a criminal pee his pants….

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Ahhhh, my first love was a Joni. (Right, Tarheel Ben?)

BigAlSouth on May 5, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Wow. I’m liking her so far.

petunia on May 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Left eye dominant, shooting right handed? Don’t see that very often… Best of luck to her!

skratch16 on May 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Spelling and grammar nazi. Love you guys. Biatch about everything and then nit pick an opinion. Did you get that, OPINION!

I did not say she would stink as a congresswoman. Just saying that the ad is targeted. God knows that a few of them DC lifers need to have the ole nuts checked, but this shtick will not work nationally. But then she only has to get elected in Iowa.

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM

That wass awesome, great commercial!

(Just wish she had used a proper pistol grip – She used the often seen on TV “shelf ” grip, instead of her thumbs overlapping down the slide. But hey, whatever gets the job done.)

PermanentWaves on May 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM

PermanentWaves on May 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I’ve got no problem with her grip. The best advice I’ve ever gotten is that your grip needs to be comfortable for you to control the gun. Some people have finger, hand or wrist problems that might make the “proper” grip uncomfortable or even painful.
Is she hitting the target? If so, she has a “proper” grip.

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Glad to see someone found the incoherent blather that every liberal will spew. But my point was more to wonder how does a down home gal like Joni answer these inevitable questions from the propaganda media of the alphabet news organizations. Suppose she wins and gets elected, these libturd organs will love to get her on their show so they can get some of that hog casteration speech and ‘double tap’ gun toting on national news. Then what do you think happens? Palinized ring a bell?

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I like her too. She’s not as smug and pompous as King Gold.

Dongemaharu on May 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

…LOL!

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

No disagreement dentarthurdent, there are several “proper” grips that can be employed for each individual’s circumstance.

I just know my instructors would try to steer her away from that grip to improve shot placement. They commonly use the TV shelf grip as what not to do – tougher to control recoil, steers placement to the left, as well as harder to reacquire target for follow up shots. Made a massive difference in my wifes accuracy – better shot than I am now.

At the end of the day – Bless her for taking responsibility for her own defense. That’s good stuff.

PermanentWaves on May 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Have you bothered to look up her bio?
Master’s Degree in Public Admin.
Army reserves and Army National Guard up to rank of Lt Colonel (21 years), deployed to Kuwait.
4 years in Iowa State Senate.
8 years as a county auditor.

And, oh BTW, her husband is a retired Army Ranger Command Sergeant Major Chief.

She’s not just some “down home gal” small town hick with no experience.
He11 – she’s got a lot more real world knowledge and experience than a certain community organizer who weaseled his way into the White House.

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM

And, oh BTW, her husband is a retired Army Ranger Command Sergeant Major Chief.
dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM

FIFM

dentarthurdent on May 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM

libbyscooter on May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Don’t you love how liberals insult and ridicule people who are “down home” types? Once again, the aristocracy (aka Democrats) are the only “smart” ones capable of fixing our country’s problems.

Trouble is, they can’t do jack sh**!

This proves, once again, that conservatives are considered the ’3/5′ by the left.

Libbyscooter is wrong but this enforces the Democrats war against women.

Kingfisher on May 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Judging by the photo Joni Ernst is right handed but left eye domiant.
My long time friend Kelly (TEN Times IHMSA Iron Man Champion) shoots the same way.
Never bothered him none.