Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg first embarked on his infamous (and probably ultimately ineffective) campaign to ban large soda cups/crush freedom on behalf of the general welfare a couple of years ago, only to see the ban struck down by a New York Supreme Court judge just before its official implementation last year. Bloomberg had enacted the ban through the auspices of regulation through the city Health Department without going through the City Council with legislation, and the judge decided that Bloomberg had vastly overstepped his authority and that the ban was “fraught with arbitrary and capricious consequences.”

Bloomberg’s successor Bill de Blasio has mentioned before that he’s basically on board with the ban, but that he would rather go through the Council than pursue the entirely top-down route — but, meh. Why go through all that bother, really? Via the NYDN:

The city will appeal to the state’s highest court in a continuation of former Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s push to ban sodas over 16 ounces, officials said Monday.

City lawyers will argue the case at the Court of Appeals on June 4, the Law Department said.

The mayor previously said he supported the concept of limiting sales of super-sized sodas to combat obesity and diabetes, but hinted he would consider City Council legislation rather than a Health Department edict.

“I think we could do a much better job of working with parents and working with communities to help them understand why this is a good idea and get their buy-in,” de Blasio said in January.

Guess he changed his mind, huh? I might mention that an appeals court last year was also wildly skeptical of the ban, but whatever. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss — except possibly worse.