Obama’s mean-spirited sense of humor

posted at 12:31 pm on May 4, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Last night you all got to watch and chat in the open thread during the 2014 White House Correspondents’ Dinner. In addition to the usual list of suspects, the Comedian in Chief had his annual opportunity to show off his stand-up chops and practice delivering other people’s one liners. This is an area where I’ve tended to cut Barack Obama some slack in the past. His delivery is actually pretty good with the timing of a practiced comic, regardless of who writes the jokes. But we also expect a bit of humility and compassion from the leader of the free world, and that’s what seemed to be lacking this time. This from PJ Media.

Face it, Dems. Obama doesn’t do humor – at least the kind of self-deprecating humor that presidents like John Kennedy and Ronald Reagan were famous for.

Obama’s humor is mean-spirited. His zingers aimed at others feel like twisting the knife rather than a good-natured nudge. While there is always some measure of exaggeration when it comes to zinging an opponent, Obama’s premise is usually false to begin with. This makes his humor self-serving and decidedly unfunny.

This is followed by a list of the five most mean-spirited jokes from the President. Here are a couple.

3. Anyway, while you guys focus on the horse race, I’m going to do what I do. I will be focused on everyday Americans. Just yesterday I read a heartbreaking letter. I get letters from folks around the country every day. I get 10 that I read. This one got me. A Virginia man who’s been stuck in the same part-time job for years. No respect from his boss. There was no chance to get ahead. I really wish Eric Cantor would stop writing me. You can just pick up the phone, Eric. [Laughter] [applause]

4. There is one thing that keeps Republicans busy. They have tried more than 50 times to repeal Obamacare. Despite that, 8 million people signed up for healthcare in the first open enrollment. [Applause] Which does lead one to ask, how well does Obamacare have to work before you don’t want to repeal it? What if everyone’s cholesterol drops to 120? What if your yearly checkup came with tickets to a Clippers’ game? Not the old Donald Sterling Clippers, the new Oprah Clippers. What if it gave Mitch McConnell a pulse? What is it going to take?

Was it mean-spirited? Over the line? Again, perhaps I’m being a bit too charitable here, but that all seems rather tame. Compared to the humor you get on The Daily Show, Colbert, or any of the late night talk show hosts when they regularly skewer conservatives, I thought this material was rather light fare. Also, the WHCD has taken on the same sort of tone as a roast over the years and there seems to be an expectation of some sharp elbows being thrown.

Exit question(s): Was any of Obama’s humor over the line? And are things like this beneath the dignity of the office, or do we want our leaders to get out and mix with the people in the trenches and get a little muddy?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

….bishop?

Whiterock on May 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Where do I pick up my prize? 8^)

Whiterock on May 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Complaining about small potatoes stuff is what whiny statists do.

CDeb on May 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Yep, funeeeeeeeeeeeee! I wish someone with a set of balls would have stood up and said “Chris Stevens, Glen Doherty, Sean Smith and Tyrone Woods think your jokes suck”.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Obama is mean-spirited.

Water is wet.

Pope is Catholic….

Wethal on May 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM

This juvenile-who-would-be king cares only about receiving celebrity-style adulation from his subjects. He’ll have his own game show one of these days. The questions will all deal with him.

retiredtom on May 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

He just loves a captive audience. . . .you know the ones that can’t respond to him. It’s knee slapping time on each and every occasion.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Party of American crooks and thieves.

Anybody who thinks United Russia doesn’t have an American counterpart needs to think again. Same disregard for the people, same flagrant usurpation of others’ wealth, same tendency to find collaborators’ among the “loyal opposition” selling any conviction for an invite to join the “cool” crowd.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM

The entire thing is beneath the dignity of the President.

After a century of chumming it up with the media, the media are now chums with the political elite and unwilling to go after them. Wilson meant to subvert the media to his own ends, and now the President does just that. If a President wants to do stand-up, he can do it at an open mic for a real audience, not amongst his brown-nosing sycophants.

ajacksonian on May 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM

It was hilarious. So many mean spirited things have been said about Obama , I can forgive him for dishing out some of his own.

coolrepublica on May 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Though I will say, if only Floyd Mayweather and Justin Bieber didn’t already have other plans in Vegas, it truly would have been an historic congregation of all known douches in the Western hemisphere.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Liberals like junior high type jokes – exclusionary. I’m cool and my friends are cool and you’re a dweeb. Nothing new here.

katiejane on May 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Remember POTUS-elect Obama’s cheap shot at widow Reagan?

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I just want to see him ask Michelle to pull his finger. Now THAT’S comedy!

radjah shelduck on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

“I really wish Eric Cantor would stop writing me.”

“What if it gave Mitch McConnell a pulse?”

Everyone knows I’m no fan of Obama, but those were hilarious.

fadetogray on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

The funniest one is how post-ACA uninsured free riders are noble and acceptable as opposed to the lower number of pre-Obamacare free riders that were the entire reason for passing the law:

(Thanks again, Tlaloc.)

rogerb on May 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

coolrepublica on May 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Your messiah could piss on your head and you would think it was good.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Most presidents use the dinner to tell jokes about themselves, and none, that I remember, have used the speech as an occasion to repeat their same partisan talking points or to brag up their “successes.”

“Republicans have tried to repeal it 50 times” “8 million people have signed up” followed by “What if it gave Mitch McConnell a pulse?”

Yeah, you might hear that stuff on the Daily Show, but not usually from the president’s own mouth….

But, even when he was just a candidate, he went on Conan and claimed that W. was so stupid he kept mixing Osama and Obama’s names up, when, of course, that was Obama’s first big endorsement, Ted Kennedy.

Still as mean, classless, and thin-skinned as ever.

notropis on May 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I just want to see him ask Michelle to pull his finger. Now THAT’S comedy!

radjah shelduck on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Michelle tried that on him a few weeks ago and there were earthquakes in California.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Was it mean-spirited? Over the line?

Those weren’t jokes. He was serious.

It was political propaganda followed by shots at those who disagree with him. And that includes many tens of millions of Americans.

But I’m sure his inside the beltway supporters in the MSM, about 90% of the audience, were in stitches.

Well, at least he didn’t call anyone who disagrees with him a racist, as a joke of course. Or did he?

farsighted on May 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM

A man in his position of power should be poking fun at himself rather then at others.Obama’s lack of class is on display again. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Hera on May 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I thought the most tasteless jokes were those that referenced the lost Malaysian plane. People dies, they haven’t even found the bodies and they’re cracking jokes. How does that make us look?

galtg on May 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

No, not that I heard of. That was left up to the schmuck who they hired to do the stand up act.

Has anyone ever heard of him before?

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Are you REALLY that dimwitted ? For real ?

I’ll give you a hint here: What is the one, big, defining difference between the person who told the jokes quoted above and Steven Colbert or Jon Stewart ?

Give up ?

Unreal. That kind of humor is beneath the office of the POTUS. Period.

deadrody on May 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

galtg on May 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

241 passengers and crew were unavailable for comment.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I like the one where he feigns a heart attack, clutches his chest, and in his best Jamie Foxx impersonation declares, “I’M COMIN’, WHEEZIE!”

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Unreal. That kind of humor is beneath the office of the POTUS. Period.

deadrody on May 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Not. Any. More.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Obama “joked” about using IRS to attack political opponents too…

the_nile on May 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Surprise. That’s what a**holes do.

BuckeyeSam on May 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Wow he does indeed have no class but that’s a narcissist for you.

sorrowen on May 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Your messiah could piss on your head and you would think it was good.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

The difference between me and you is I can acknowledge reality when I see I it. Some people see everything through the prism of party affiliation.

There you go saying he is my messiah because I think it was funny. Lol. I am sorry I can’t be those guys who see a cute cat picture and their first comment is to connect it to how obamacare is ruining America, and Obama is a communist that is going to bring the end of the world. Sorry!

coolrepublica on May 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM

The won didn’t get in the trenches let alone get muddy during bin gauze ee.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I’d guess everyone here knows some mean-spirited a$$hole who tries to disguise insults as ‘jokes’.

It’s a cowardly passive aggressive tactic, designed to give the practitioner an out … ‘Hey, it was just a joke’.

The only time this works is if the person delivering the ‘joke’ has previously demonstrated they like and care about the individual it is directed towards. Then it is good-natured ribbing.

When directed at people it is obvious one despises it is not good-natured ribbing. It is mean spirited and cowardly passive aggressive behavior.

farsighted on May 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Obama “joked” about using IRS to attack political opponents too…

the_nile on May 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Benghazi – that was a good one!!!

“When Steve Kroft of CBS News finally got around to asking President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton about the terrorist attacks in Benghazi resulting in the death of four brave Americans, President Obama decided it would be a good time to go for laughs.
You know, I remember Bob Gates, you know, first thing he said to me, I think maybe first week or two that I was there and we were meeting in the Oval Office and he, obviously, been through seven presidents or something. And he says, “Mr. President, one thing I can guarantee you is that at this moment, somewhere, somehow, somebody in the federal government is screwing up.” (Laughter)

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM

coldpubichair on May 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

…well…you’d find it hilarious if JugEars was spearing you…from behind.

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I assume Lovitz and Schneider weren’t invited.

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM

coolrepublica on May 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Obviously not, you’re the guy who sees everything obama does as a cute cat picture and your first comment is to connect it to how great and wonderful he is for creating a utopia of wonderfulness just by breathing.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

That would be Redd Foxx, but I’m with ya:)

bernzright777 on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Props to whoever did the WHCD marquee:

PUPPET SHOW

&

BARACK OBAMA

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

galtg on May 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I was particularly irritated by the passive-aggressive defensive crap about conservatives who said things about Putin.

Stuff that GOP leaders said in the early-2000s, mocked by the moron who stands idly as he invades Ukraine today. That is, the same idiot that removed our missile defense systems for our allies within a year after Putin invaded Georgia. A great laugh for 48 million Ukrainians to see the American President pass the buck and call it a joke. Eat all of the d’s Barry. Of course Euromaidan & free Ukrainian leaders should be under no delusion by now that this is just a big joke to Obama. No Truman let alone a Reagan to back them up.

Putin huilo. La la la la la la la. Obama tozhe.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Not the kind of behavior to expect from the most powerful man in the world. That’s why Putin doesn’t do it.

butch on May 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM

It’s definitely beneath the office of the President.

Sneering partisan snark should not be the purview of the man who is supposed to be the “leader of the free world” (even though Barack the Sun King is no leader, and the world is much less free since he came onto the scene).

HikaruKitsune on May 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM

bernz,

I know. Just wanted to riff off Barry’s Sanford fail with a little self-defecating humor.

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Obama is not the leader of the free world… The free world has been leaderless since January 20 2009 and will remain so at least until January 20 2017… It may remain leaderless after that if we get another democrat President…
Obama is a welfare queens agitator from Chicago… Agitator never lead, they just agitate one group of people against each other… Obama the most incompetent, weakest, most ignorant, more immature, most partisan President in the history of the Republic by far… He only belongs in the streets of inner city Chicago agitating the welfare queens there…

mnjg on May 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Anyone do did not hear or pretended not to hear a number of self-depriciating jokes from Obama yesterday is at best a partisan hack. Self depriciation compared to anything any past President has done. What about the jokes on his sagging polls? what about the jokes on his tough summer? What about the jokes on being a Kenyan? I can go on. Why not let us be truthful sometimes if only because os our Christian faith. Things like this give Christians a bad name.

ChildOfGod on May 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

farsighted on May 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Nail on the head. +1 Internet points and a cookie! ;-)

If you clearly (to all involved) have a relationship of respect and admiration with the person(s) or institutions you are ribbing you can make these kinds of jokes (taking care not to go too far, naturally). If you don’t, as Obama clearly does NOT, then you should stick with either self-deprecatory humor or innocuous humor aimed at nobody in particular.

Classless passive aggressiveness.

xNavigator on May 4, 2014 at 1:26 PM

obama is about as funny as a blood clot in the lung……ha ha cough cough gasp gasp….he’s not gonna make it

clandestine on May 4, 2014 at 1:26 PM

ChildOfGod on May 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

The biggest partisan hack is Obama… Never before in the history of the Republic there has been a more utterly partisan President than Obama, not even close… The man relishes in hyper partisanship 24/7… The fool never understood what is that mean to be President of the USA… The idiot goes against individual citizens such as Rush Limbaugh let alone the Republican party…

mnjg on May 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I like the one where he feigns a heart attack, clutches his chest, and in his best Jamie Foxx impersonation declares, “I’M COMIN’, WHEEZIE! Elizabeth”

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

FIFY

That would be Redd Foxx, but I’m with ya:)

bernzright777 on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Wheezie was George Jefferson’s wife.

RickB on May 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

ChildofGod,

Lighten up, St. Francis.

Christien on May 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM

ChildOfGod on May 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Things like this give Christians a bad name?

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM

mnjg on May 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Eh? Benjamin Netanyahu is still in office. As is Stephen Harper. I’d have claimed Merkel among them until a few months ago. Having to deal with Socialists in her coalition isn’t going so well second time around.

Oh, you mean the USA leading the free world? Yeah, those days are clearly long gone. Can’t even be certain they’ll return in 2017 even with a GOP President. Depends a lot on who it is. Can’t underestimate the damage Obama has done to American standing abroad. Still more than two and a half years left too.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Where do I pick up my prize? 8^)

Whiterock on May 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Haven’t you heard? “Vicar” is the new “Bishop.”

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

The O’s such a punk.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

He was clean and articulate.

BoxHead1 on May 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Neither Israel nor Canada nor any other country can lead the Free World except the USA… None of these countries have the economic or military power for such a task, not even close, but I guess you know this…

mnjg on May 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

You watched that shit?

This is AmeriKa today, from the top on down.

Tommy Vietor’s journey with Obama: From van driver to National Security Council spokesman

Enjoy the filth. There’s no detergent that will ever clean it up.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

He was clean and articulate.

BoxHead1 on May 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Did he use any of his knee grow dialect?

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

ChildOfGod on May 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I don’t know what WHCD you watched and I didn’t watch any form of it. I did hear the “joke on being Kenyan” that you mention though, and it was a joke on conservative “birthers” not on himself. It also trumpeted Hillary. There’s your partisan hack.

Don’t know what it has to do with Christians. Nobody here but you is even discussing Obama in the context of Christianity. We’re discussing him as a crook, thief, thin-skinned liar, and miserable partisan.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

between me and you

coolrepublica on May 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM

CW on May 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Wheezie was George Jefferson’s wife.

RickB on May 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Right you are! (How quickly I forget). It was “Elizabeth”.

bernzright777 on May 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

The President of the United States is a jerkass.

thebrokenrattle on May 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Things like this give Christians a bad name.

ChildOfGod on May 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Connect the dots. BTW that DOES NOT negate the premise of the post…now does it…and sorry…>>idiot.

CW on May 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM

A non-joke from John Kass of the Chicago Tribune Crop.:

Their Names Were Stevens, Smith, Doherty and Woods
“Remember that the attack in Benghazi took place on Sept. 11, 2012, just as President Barack Obama was beginning his final push toward re-election. The Democratic National Convention had just ended, and the message was: Obama had killed Osama bin Laden, and terrorism had been caged.

The terrorist attack in Benghazi was immediately characterized by the White House as spontaneous protests, prompted by a crude anti-Islamic video on the Internet.

That wasn’t the case. There was nothing impromptu or spontaneous about the attack that killed Ambassador Stevens and the three others. It was a planned terrorist strike.

And still, even though this was known, the White House sent then-U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice out on the Sunday talk shows to sell the video story and set that false version in the public’s mind.

Why? My take is because to talk about a planned terrorist strike — rather than a spontaneous uprising over a ridiculous video — would have directly undercut the president’s politics and his message that al-Qaida was dead.

And getting re-elected was more important to the Obama White House than telling the truth about four dead Americans.

Former CIA official Mike Morell, testifying recently before Congress, said the U.S. intelligence community knew it was a terror attack from the start.

“The analysts said from the get-go that al-Qaida was involved in this attack,” Morell said.

And last week, Judicial Watch obtained key White House documents through the Freedom of Information Act. Earlier documents, released by the Obama White House to Congress, were redacted.

The new emails were written by, White House deputy strategic communications adviser Ben Rhodes, whose brother is president of CBS News.

One Rhodes email to Rice, dated Sept. 14 at shortly after 8 p.m., was intended to prepare Rice for her appearances on those Sunday shows.

Rhodes emphasized that one goal of Rice’s appearances was to “underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure or policy.”

And even more cynically, Rhodes offered Rice the argument that she would use, that the video was “disgusting and reprehensible,” that “there is absolutely no justification at all for responding to this movie with violence. And we are working to make sure that people around the globe hear that message.”

For days afterward, the message from President Obama, Rice, then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and others was: the video, the video, the video.

By not releasing the Rhodes emails fully to Congress, the Obama White House clearly showed its contempt for the House. And depending on your politics, you might agree with the strategy. It got Obama through his roughest debates and helped confuse the issue enough that he was re-elected.

But if we allow our nation’s leaders to let politics obscure how our government works, we are making a fatal mistake. That’s how fools lose the Republic.

And those four in Benghazi weren’t fools. They died for our country, and years of political cover-up can’t obscure that.

Again, their names were Stevens, Smith, Doherty and Woods.

They didn’t die for politics.”

socalcon on May 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM

butch on May 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Ouch! That’s gonna leave a mark. . . .so true.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM

In case you don’t connect who Tommy Vietor is.

They don’t care about the dead Americans.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

1. were these Presidential “jokes” by Obama over the line?

Since there aren’t really any lines anymore, I’d say no. Not by today’s standards (which Obama himself has done much to weaken).

2. Is Obama’s “humor” more cutting & far less self-deprecating than many if not most modern Presidents?

It sure looks that way to a lot of people.

Sacramento on May 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

To our new friends~

The tradition here at HA of posting ‘Bishop’ or ‘first’, or any other off topical comment, at the beginning of the thread is reserved for the QOTD.

Is is not used on normal threads as management has taken a dim view of the practice in the past.

This is why you don’t see regulars engaging in the practice.

~End PSA~

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

The comments at the link tell the story of America in 2014.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM

farsighted on May 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

BTW, Putin is a bastard and bully, but he is also leader and he is not a coward. The attribute ‘leader’ has no ethical and moral connotations.

Putin is a realist who knows history and how the world works. And he accurately measured the mettle of the current occupant of the WH. He concluded he is weak and probably a coward. And so have all of the world’s other potential aggressors. The next three years are going to be very, very long.

The world is becoming a more dangerous place because the US President is viewed as weak and indecisive. Some of Comrade O’s knob polishers in the MSM are beginning to realize that. Which is why even some of them are becoming a little critical of what is generously called O’s ‘foreign policy’.

And it is too late for Dear Leader to try to substantively change the perception he is weak and indecisive, because that is what he is.

farsighted on May 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM

“Cash for Clunkers” was, and remains, the best self-description of the entire obama administration.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Exit question(s): And are things like this beneath the dignity of the office, or do we want our leaders to get out and mix with the people in the trenches and get a little muddy?

You mean pre-Eisenhour or post-Eisenhour?

Cleombrotus on May 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM

mnjg on May 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I get that, specifically as a supporter of Ukraine. If Canada had the economic strength of USA, Russia would be on the ropes.

The world has often had leaders though that aren’t the heads of the greatest military or economic power, looked to for moral principle or diplomatic support. The Papacy in early modern Europe. Ben Franklin when USA was still seeking independence let alone world power. Metternich despite an A-H clearly weaker than Britain or Russia and recovering from war.

If the free world has a leader, they’ll need to look to those such as Netanyahu or Harper for that sort of strength rather than the proper use of American power and ingenuity that we’ve been used to for the past 110 years or so. Sadly most of the world is still reflexively looking at Obama waiting for something to happen, unready or unwilling to realize that it’s just not there. Scary, as Putin and the Ayatollahs have already noticed that it isn’t.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

This ain’t hardly “mixing with the people and getting a lite muddy”.

This is self-absorbed people talking about themselves.

Cleombrotus on May 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Internet Trolls Are Actually Sadists

I think, since we are discussing something as subjective, relative, and amorphous as the determination of a persons sense of humor, this article is informative and salient.

I believe that if Obama wasn’t the President of the United States he very well might be an internet troll. His ‘humor’ has that same dependents on the humiliation and/or pain of others and he obviously enjoys inflicting that humiliation and/or pain.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

dependents…dependance. Typo.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

That’s the only option?

Self depriciation compared to anything any past President has done.

That’s a great sentence right there.

What about the jokes on his sagging polls?

Resulting from his numerous scandals, flouting of the law and refusal to enforce it, lies and broken promises to those stupid enough to believe him, wrecking the health insurance industry, obstructing economic growth generally and the energy sector in particular, forcing contraception and abortifacients on nuns’ employees’ health plans, stonewalling in the Benghazi disaster, gun running to Mexican drug cartels, empowering Muslim terrorists and employing their flacks in his administration, and more.

Given that his sagging poll numbers are the result of such things, only a heartless monster would joke about such things, and only a complete dufus would assert that self-deprecating humor is appropriate in the face of such a track record. It’s like a Mafia capo joking about raising the price of “protection” among the local merchants.

what about the jokes on his tough summer?

How many rounds of golf? How many vacations?

What about the jokes on being a Kenyan?

He and his wife have both said that he was born there, and his birth certificate is a poor forgery. We therefore have an imposter in the WH who of course knows it, and that’s funny?

I can go on.

The village idiot is always loquacious.

Why not let us be truthful sometimes if only because os our Christian faith. Things like this give Christians a bad name. ChildOfGod on May 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

And those two statements speak loudly enough for themselves, making comment superfluous.

Akzed on May 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Blacks don’t do self-deprecation. Their humor is always at the expense of others.

Anti-Statist on May 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

If he had a son it would be libtardanddie or coldpubica

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I simply can’t laugh with the dude, nor at him.

There’s nothing funny about Statism.

Nothing.

wolly4321 on May 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Anti-Statist on May 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Yes, always, that’s what blacks do./

Moron.

thebrokenrattle on May 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Anti-Statist on May 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Generalize much? Know many blacks?

That may be one of the stupidest “insights” I’ve read at Hot Air, and that’s going some, considering we have people like libfreeordie posting here.

notropis on May 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Just doing what losers do. Blaming everyone else, Distracting attention from their own failures, and generally acting like a jackass.

Lee Jan on May 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM

The president of the united states is an ass23Hole

TX-96 on May 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Dear J., you give him/them too much power. They are all guinea worms, no more, no less, but their medium are D-latrines.

They have zero effect on decency and must only be eradicated.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Actually, Richard Pryor and Cosby both did some excellent self deprecating humor. They mixed it with humor at the expense of others,indeed, but that’s a reflection of basing their insight on a keen understanding of the human experience and moving to address all aspects of the range. I admire both of them very much for their expertise as comedians. Creating good comedy is complex and difficult.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM

And Eddie Murphy

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

The president of the united states is an ass23Hole

TX-96 on May 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Yes, but that insults azzholes.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I understand your point, my friend. However, Obama didn’t write a word of that ‘routine’. He simply read it. But he did condone it and approve of it, and in so doing he became that twisted little kid who enjoys pulling the wings off of flies and watching them run around on the ground until they die, or that chubby little boy who thrilled at eating dog in the markets of Indonesia.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM

George Bush was self-deprecating. Obungle is self-serving.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Seriously, you all watched that boring freak show?

I’d rather sit idly by and watch my neighbor’s dog cr*p in my yard that watch 0.0002 milliseconds of obama or almost anyone else in DC, or anyone in the complicit press corps there.

Smegley on May 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Where do I pick up my prize? 8^)

Whiterock on May 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

….it may take a while…but Bishop will probably FedEx it to you….at the hospital.

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Indeed. A very talented man. I’ve laughed at his stand up routines and marveled at his skill as an actor.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM

He made the USA the laughing-stock of the world.

The dummies who brung/kept him deserve all the destruction.

It goes beyond the Jeantels of AmeriKa and HA.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM

And I believe he takes great pleasure in denigrating this nation. Why else would he tell Malaysia that we have as much need of improvement as they in civil rights? Malaysia.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM

One way to answer the Mitch McConnell pulse question is to ask his wife.

KenInIL on May 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Smegley on May 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Didn’t watch. Years past I used to observe the event as somewhat ‘democratic’. It is in actually a very overt expo of how aristocratic the USA is…but the aristocrats are such buffoons on display, from all sources/sides.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Neither did I. However, I read the transcript of Obama’s bit.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM

It would be fine if we knew obama as a uniter. But knowing his smallness of character and divisiveness, it’s offensive.

Didn’t, and won’t, watch that celebration of the corruption of our nation’s institutions.

paul1149 on May 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM