New plan… let the IRS do your taxes for you!

posted at 3:31 pm on May 4, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

It’s a couple of weeks too late for this to help most people this year, but I’m sure many of you ran into issues filing your taxes. It’s a huge pain in the backside, isn’t it? Over at Redstate, Matthew Clark dredges up a brilliant scheme from Ezra Klein which should make all of your lives easier.

Why not let the IRS do our taxes for us?

Liberal wunderkind Ezra Klein (formerly of the Washington Post and now of Vox.com) was pushing this new idea a few weeks ago.

Well it wasn’t really new. He’s been pushing it for years.

The idea is to let the IRS, which already has your income and other tax information reported to it, prepare your taxes for you. Klein promotes that it will save billions of dollars and millions of man-hours and “make the IRS your friend.” I mean who really likes doing their own taxes?

But it’s one of the absolute worst ideas I’ve ever heard.

Well, sure… the idea is bound to have a few critics, but not everyone would oppose it apparently. I don’t know if they still do this, but back in the 80′s I dated a girl who informed me that she had never filled out a tax return. Each year she simply filled in her name, date of birth, SSN and other personal bits on a blank 1040 and stuffed it in an envelope with her W-2. She then mailed it off to the IRS and had never had any problems with it. Now, I’m not sure if this was legal and her return was processed properly or she just hadn’t ever been caught, but she claimed to have gotten refund checks in the past, so I assumed it was possible.

Should you do it? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that there might be a few people who could conceivably benefit from it. Young, single folks with one source of regular income who rent (rather than owning their home) and with no major outstanding debt or savings, could possibly get away with this and not lose much in the bargain. But I also agree with Matthew in that the IRS has the least possible incentive imaginable to put in any effort to ensure you get all of the deductions, etc. possible and pay the lowest bill. I mean, even if you implicitly trusted the government to begin with, this just sounds like a recipe for losing money.

Comments

I’m sure they be as ruthless as a CPA looking for your best deductions.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Quick question, will this effect the working class more than the extremely wealthy?

KMC1 on May 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Obviously, the govt. is highly motivated to get tax payers the best deal – just like health insurance.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Can we have 10 different IRS staffers do them? I bet we get 10 different answers.

CW on May 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Fluke off!

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I’m sure they be as ruthless as a CPA looking for your best deductions.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I’m sure they will be ruthless.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Flat tax rate and abolish the thugs.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

You go first klein.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

The next step will be what a UK Labour MP suggested:

have your employer send your paycheck straight to the government revenue dept., and it will then send on to you what take-home pay it thinks appropriate.

Everything else will be kept for “the greater good.”

Wethal on May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

And if they screw up, you’re still liable for all penalties.

RickB on May 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM

The next step will be what a UK Labour MP suggested:

Everything else will be kept for “the greater good.”

Wethal on May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

That’s a good idea…..libtard

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Everything else will be kept for “the greater good.”

Wethal on May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Or as we call it:

The General Welfare. (a liberal’s tool for any scheme)

CW on May 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM

But if the IRS makes a mistake then you’ll still be liable for all interest and penalties. Wish I was joking.

Fenris on May 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Or as we call it:

The General Welfare. (a liberal’s tool for any scheme)

CW on May 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM

It’s not “Welfare” anymore. It’s “investments” or some such nonsense.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

The General Welfare. (a liberal’s tool for any scheme)

CW on May 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Don’t you mean the “good and welfare clause” in the Constitution?

-Dem Congressman and constitutional scholar

Wethal on May 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I can see it now….

New short form 1040

How much did you make? Send it in.

bgibbs1000 on May 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Every Democrat should be required by law to do it this way.

After all, their faith in government is so vast they want to force us to keep giving it more power.

I say make them put their money where their mouths are.

fadetogray on May 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

There has to be some racist element if we don’t agree. There HAS to be…

Or homophobic?

War against women?

Hate the poor?

Something…

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I don’t see any problem with this whatsoever.

I periodically send a stack of blank, signed checks to my electric company, gas company, phone company, insurance provider and credit card companies and tell them not to bother sending me bills, just pay themselves at their leisure.

ButterflyDragon on May 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

You forgot the “What could possibly go wrong?” tag.

whatcat on May 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I say make them put their money where their mouths are.

fadetogray on May 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

It’s hard for them to get to their mouths with their heads so far up their azzes.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM

will they then audit themselves?

Doc Holliday on May 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Flat tax rate and abolish the thugs.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

YEP.

Doc Holliday on May 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

The IRS already offers the option of doing your taxes for you. Just put the basic info in – the tax form instructions tell you where to stop – sign and send, and they will figure your taxes for you. However, you will pay more, because all they will do is plug in the standard deduction. And the prior poster is right – you would have to pay any interest and late penalties for any mistakes. But at least you wouldn’t be at risk of jail, so long as all the information YOU put in was accurate.

The IRS wouldn’t like that as universal practice, partly because it would tie up IRS resources, but mostly because there is a tremendous amount of cash and barter transactions, even today, that they have to rely on self-reporting to catch.

Zumkopf on May 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Flat tax rate and abolish the thugs.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

YEP.

Doc Holliday on May 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

We can hope.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

will they then audit themselves?

Doc Holliday on May 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I think we all know the answer to that.

CW on May 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Seriously??

sorrowen on May 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

This case comes from Matt Sissel, an Iowa artist and small-business owner who is represented by the Pacific Legal Foundation, which litigates for limited government. Sissel neither has nor wants health insurance, preferring to invest his limited resources in his business. Hence he objects to the ACA’s mandate that requires him to purchase it or pay the penalty that the ACA daintily calls the “shared responsibility payment.”

shared responsibility payment

Goebbels loves this in particular.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

The IRS wouldn’t like that as universal practice……

Zumkopf on May 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM

“Dude, that was like 6 years ago” This new gubmint LOVES to have control of everything they can.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM

The ACA’s defenders say its tax is somehow not quite a tax because it is not primarily for raising revenue but for encouraging certain behavior (buying insurance). But the origination clause, a judicially enforceable limit on the taxing power, would be effectively erased from the Constitution if any tax with any regulatory — behavior-changing — purpose or effect were exempt from the clause.

The Court of Appeals sits six blocks from the Senate, which committed the legislative legerdemain of pretending to merely amend a House bill while originating a new one. Across the street from the Senate sits the Supreme Court, where this case may be headed.

Two years ago, the Supreme Court saved the ACA by declaring its penalty to be a tax. It thereby doomed the ACA as an unconstitutional violation of the origination clause.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Skipping over the obvious conflict of interest and sliding quickly to the very bottom of the hill, for brevity — this would inevitably require turning over to the federal government the tracking of our entire financial lives, including every part of our lives that could possibly be interpreted as impacting our financial lives, i.e., all of it. This by way of curtailing abuses and increasing efficiency, every step of which would be supported (in some cases demanded) until our frog-legs are boiling. We, the frogs.

Axe on May 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I’m sure “Julia” would gladly allow her pseudo husband, the federal government, to do her tax returns for her. He’d never cheat on her. Remember “Julia”? The template for all single American womankind?

After all, in the modern day “War on Women” who needs a real, loving, caring, flesh and blood husband to stand by you, father your children and help you raise them, and offer you companionship, love, warmth, and human compassion when you need it? You can just shack up with Uncle Subsidy.

The federal government is even deciding what health care you need, and how much health care you’ll get and Uncle Subsidy is standing right there, ever present, to be sure you get just the right ‘help’ to choose your health care policy and pay for it, too.

You’ve even been freed from the “trap of full time employment” so now you can develop your inner child. You don’t even need to grow up anymore. Play all day. Uncle Subsidy will provide.

Go ahead progressives. You can trust your Uncle Subsidy to determine how much tax you owe. What could go wrong?

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM

There has to be some racist element if we don’t agree. There HAS to be…

Or homophobic?

War against women?

Hate the poor?

Something…

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

You are an elitist who doesn’t want the poor to get the same quality tax preparation available to the wealthy. Since “the poor” clearly means People of Color™ because of the disproportionate representation of People of Color™ in the poor group, you are clearly commenting here from your pickup truck in route to your Klan meeting (or from you self-loathing, Uncle Tom’s kitchen table). While not homophobic, you certainly hate women since you care nothing about quality tax preparation for single mothers.

^ Done. :) 2 out of 3.

Axe on May 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

The IRS will calculate your taxes for you if they meet certain criteria… less than $100K income, no itemized deductions, no direct deposit of any refund, some other requirements. You just fill out some basic information on the form and sign it. It is legal, but it doesn’t save much time unless simple addition and subtraction gives you panic attacks.

malclave on May 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

malclave on May 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

You’re talking about liberals. Most things that don’t involve “feelings” are beyond them.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Would never happen. As it is, the government has hooked up the tax prep places with Obamacare signups (they get $ just for trying to sign people up). What makes you think the H&R Block+ lobby would allow this idea to become a possibility?

chris0christies0donut on May 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I simply refuse to itemize. I’ll pay the couple hundred bucks difference it costs me (I own my home, free and clear, so don’t have any mortgage to deduct, and it’s none of their damn business how much I give to charity, or what they define as a legitimate charity.)

I have a single employer, and a single savings account. I sincerely doubt I’ll ever be audited.

notropis on May 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM

malclave on May 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

This.

notropis on May 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM

How about the IRS send me a complete tax return, if I like it, I just sign it. Otherwise, I do them myself.

J_Crater on May 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I’m sure they be as ruthless as a CPA looking for your best deductions.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If you are a Democratic.

I’m sure they will be ruthless.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

If you are a Republican.

slickwillie2001 on May 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I’m sure they be as ruthless as a CPA looking for your best deductions.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If you are a Democratic.

I’m sure they will be ruthless.

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

If you are a Republican.

slickwillie2001 on May 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Good point!

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Axe on May 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Thanks, Axe. I knew someone would see me through. Or through me. Whatever…

I drive a big rig for a living, so I must also be homophobic. Gots to be.

I denounce myself. I must be purged.

I’ll just line up at the cattle car for my short journey to the re-education camp. According to Bill Ayers, it’s not all that bad…

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Axe on May 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Thanks, Axe. I knew someone would see me through. Or through me. Whatever…

I drive a big rig for a living, so I must also be homophobic. Gots to be.

I denounce myself. I must be purged.

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

PS: I also can’t quote correctly. Further purging will be necessary. This could get painful.

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

You done Axed yourself!

VegasRick on May 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

chris0christies0donut on May 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Blue Cross-Blue Shield Bets Big On Obamacare Exchanges (Jun 21, 2013)

Not the Blues. They’re expected to offer health-exchange plans nearly everywhere, ensuring at least a minimum choice for individuals seeking subsidized coverage when the marketplaces open Oct. 1. It also makes them an undeclared Obama ally in implementing the health law.

“The Blues will definitely participate,” said Ana Gupte, an insurance stock analyst for Dowling & Partners. “If there is an exchange I’m sure there will be the Blues.”

The exchanges are online marketplaces that will operate in all 50 states, offering insurance plans for individuals and small businesses. The individual market has long been a high-risk, unstable business that some insurers never sought. The health law – with its mandate that could bring younger, healthier people into the pool and its subsidies – seeks to stabilize the individual market. But if few other insurers follow the Blues into those markets, consumers in those states may not see the same kind of competitive pricing of premiums that states like Oregon have reported.

Still, it’s not just that Blues will offer coverage in places other carriers may avoid. In states where Republican governors oppose the health law, Blues may be the single biggest factor in educating consumers and recruiting them into Obamacare.

In Louisiana, where Gov. Bobby Jindal has flatly said “we are not implementing the exchange,” the local Blues plan has organized community nonprofits, churches, chambers of commerce and food banks to get out the word on what will be a federally run marketplace there.

BlueCross BlueShield of Louisiana “is the driving force” behind the Louisiana Healthcare Education Coalition, launched in March, said Nebeyou Abebe, who works on consumer engagement at the Louisiana Public Health Institute. “I can’t think of any other entity in Louisiana that’s developing a massive campaign to educate people.”

About the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association

* Nationwide, more than 96% of hospitals and 91% of professional providers contract directly with Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.

* The Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies enroll in the Federal Employee Program (FEP) — the largest privately underwritten health insurance contract in the world — more than 5.3 million federal government employees, dependents and retirees.

^ It works like this.

Resist We Much once wrote The Pecker Placement Tales, illustrating how history can be derived in terms of . . . well, anyway — if it wasn’t true of the history of Britain, it would be true of modern America. We’re all crony capitalists now.

Axe on May 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I’ve been a CPA for thirty years. Letting the IRS prepare your taxes is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard.

AnotherRightWingConspirator on May 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I drive a big rig for a living, so I must also be homophobic. Gots to be.

Kraken on May 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

3/3. :)

Axe on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

AnotherRightWingConspirator on May 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Amen. Having had to speeak to some of them on the phone, they are:
A)sometimes stupid
B)sometimes belligerent
C)Definitely not on your side.

Doc Holliday on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

why wouldn’t a progressive just pay whats owed (simple 1040ez) and not have to worry about any deductions, exemptions, etc?
isn’t taxing the rich the thing to do?
oh yeah….f*ing hypocrites.

dmacleo on May 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM

This has actually been proposed for some time, as well as a very simple form (ie: postcard). It’s been killed by Intuit (maker of TurboTax)’s lobbyists every time, because it would be the end of their business.

I object to the idea that Americans should HAVE to file tax returns at all. It doesn’t seem to be Constitutional at all, the amendment itself certainly doesn’t enumerate that authority:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

ConstantineXI on May 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Just direct deposit your paycheck to your IRS account. Easy!

Kenosha Kid on May 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Just another way to destroy businesses. And don’t expect Supreme Court sanctions taxes as punishment to ever end. That was just the opening shot. Like civil forfeiture was to be for big time drug dealers, but is now being used to punish and steal across the nation.Or EPA penalties meant to be used to bring factories in compliance are now being used against farms and even ordinary home owners.

pat on May 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM

“New plan… let the IRS do your taxes for you!”

Hey! I can go for this–but only if I’m guaranteed a date with Lois Lerner.

MaiDee on May 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Um … yeah. Let the IRS do my taxes. Yeah. Sure. Ya betcha babe.

Hey! I can go for this–but only if I’m guaranteed a date with Lois Lerner.

MaiDee on May 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Dude! Susan Rice is the killer!

Anyway, me? I am totally in love with MK.

Chuck Ef on May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Ezra Klein – JourNoLister. They could also decide the penalties and deliver the verdict by swat team.

Viator on May 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM

The fox guarding the hen house!

flytier on May 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM

…my bride does taxes…she says year after year…the IRS just gets dumber and dumber…they rarely are up to date… on ‘their’ own new tax laws…every time when the IRS gets ‘stupid’ it concerns a benefit monetarily for the government…never the taxpayer…I think bonuses are involved.

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Flat tax rate and abolish the thugs.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

No. Abolish the individual income tax and return the taxing authority to the states where it belongs.

GWB on May 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

No, they don’t have all of the income and other tax information. All the IRS has are W2s and 1099s. Do these air-heads think that that is the extent of taxable income?

These guys clearly have not the slightest clue of how the income tax system actually works. I suggest that they read Section 2 of IRS Publication 17: that Section describes “Income” and is only 50 pages long. The IRS actually receives very little of that directly.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Mr. Klein & Co. are apparently unaware of the extent to which the current Income Tax system depends upon voluntary compliance.

Good show, dummy.

ss396 on May 4, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I’d actually consider it if they added a “no audit guarantee”. Let me figure out my taxes, let them figure out my taxes, and go with the one that I think offers the most advantages for that tax year.

rogerb on May 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM

CW on May 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Something I learned many years ago when I still had deductions and rather more complicated taxes than these days. If I just figured out what result I wanted and what part of the tax code applied that if I kept calling back to the IRS I’d eventually get the answer I wanted from somebody. You never get the same person twice and you always get differing answers. When I got that answer I recorded that name and employee number for my records. That way if it ever came back all they could get would be the tax with no penalties and no interest. One notable call was when I actually had three IRS agents on a conference arguing about the answer to my question which had to do with early withdrawls from an IRA without penalty. I just listened and let them come to my conclusion. Worked out well for me.

Oldnuke on May 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

It’s not their worst idea. That is, if the government was populated with good players. They have already shown they like to scapegoat productive people for political gain. One percent today, 49 percent tomorrow.

Maybe it’s their second worst idea.

Buddahpundit on May 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Conflict of interest, plain and simple.

tiger4truth on May 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

The IRS already has a program where trained volunteers prepare tax returns for people. It’s called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).

Many (maybe most) libraries in the US have signs on their door during tax season advertising this. However, VITA only does returns under $56k gross income.

Here’s a link to the training. It’s basically a few dozen PPTs. Each one is 50 slides or so. It only takes about 20 hours or so to go through the whole thing. (In other word Holy cow!) It is a great reference though.

In terms of volunteer man-hours, I’d guess this is the largest charity in America. In my county in SC, VITA did almost 3,000 tax returns.

Pythagoras on May 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Liberal wunderkind Ezra Klein

I always wondered what that word wunderkind meant.

Now I know it means “moron.”

Thanks, Hot Air!

arik1969 on May 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM

It’s called an adjustment. I’ve been there. It’s not fun.

budfox on May 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

How about we toss ever single last one of them out on their behinds. They can wait in soup lines with the rest.

Murphy9 on May 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

We’ve selected the standard deduction for you, and have debited your 401k account for taxes due. Thank you.

BobMbx on May 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM

New plan… let the IRS do your taxes for you!

The real problems are the existence of the IRS, the income tax, and the Federal Reserve Bank in the first place that was set up and maintained by criminal elements hiding behind the Constitution, the Flag, and the cool marble monuments in D.C.

Twenty years from now, folks will still be complaining about this or that having to do with Obamacare, but will be totally resigned to the fact that it exists and you have to deal with it.

“Death and taxes” LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

“You can’t fight city hall!” LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Ah, I live the “American way”…get bent over and screwed hard from behind and ripped off at every turn and it’s aaaaallll good.

We’ve been conditioned to accept those things that our Founding Fathers would not have sat still for, and that’s so very sad.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM

It could be a reasonable approach. Right now, the IRS are “gotcha” bureaucrats – they won’t even give you official answers to tax questions and concerns when you contact them, but will nail you to the wall if you make a mistake after filing.

However, if the IRS does my return and sends it to me, let’s say, by 15 March, and then I have until 15 April to respond with an update or extension request, or the return they provide is automatically my return (I can always file amendments, too) I can live with that. Then, they have some accountability for my taxes, and are not just bureaucratic spies.

They have most of my info for the current year, and even as a home owner and landlord for properties, they have my previous tax returns. I would love to see them take a crack at it.

raycm98 on May 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I can see it now….

New short form 1040

How much did you make? Send it in.

bgibbs1000 on May 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I think I still have the one the copy-shops were printing out in the seventies as a “gag” advert.

AesopFan on May 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM

In the 1970s, the IRS had just such a program. You could sign the return, check a box that said the IRS will figure your tax and send you a bill, mail it in and wait. Being that I lived in Pennsylvania at the time, I filed in Philadelphia. Years went by and I never heard another word about those three or four tax returns, until the day they came to get me. When I told them I filed in Philly, they got noticably tense and then their attitude softened. After they figured the tax and magnanamously waived the penalties, I found out that in Philadelphia, if your return didn’t have a check in it, the whole thing went in the trash.

Fair and honest MY AS…er…FOOT!!!

Mr. Grump on May 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Everybody should be able to do their own taxes. It should read like the following:

1. Name:
2. Date of Birth:
3. Social Security Number:
4. Address:

5. How much money did you make last year? ___________
6. Take the number in line 5 and multiply it by .10: __________
7. Send that to us by April 15th.

That should be Income Tax Form. No withholding, no deduction, no outrageous claims, just sending in 10% of your income once a year. Period.

Theophile on May 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Sounds like the perfect option for sheeple.

The problem with the IRS doing taxes is that they make more mistakes than my crack team of accountants. Once the IRS sent me a letter stating that I owed them some stupid pittance under seven dollars (like $6.37). My accountant told us to pay it.
About a month later we received a letter stating that they made a mistake and would issue us a refund.
The refund check came a month later.
When I received the small check I wondered how much their mistake had cost the taxpayers?

kregg on May 5, 2014 at 5:23 AM

If you really want to play some games, then don’t sign the form. Include a power of attorney and ask them to sign it for you under penalty of perjury.

UnstChem on May 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM