Lindsey Graham may be cruising to victory

posted at 11:01 am on May 4, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

There have been few targets among grassroots conservatives as large as South Carolina’s Lindsey Graham over the past few years. His “compromise” votes on subjects ranging from Obama nominees to government shutdowns have had the base up in arms, frequently bringing up promises of retribution during the next election cycle. Well, that time has arrived, but the comeuppance still doesn’t seem to be developing. Oh, he has challengers to be sure… six of them in fact, just in the primary. And yet, he doesn’t look like a guy with a lot of worries. According to at least one report, he’s managing this feat through a combination of goodwill, shrewd politics and nearly $7 million.

Rep. Mick Mulvaney was thought to be a credible challenger in the June 10 primary, until Graham inspired House leaders to give Mulvaney a seat on the House Financial Services Committee. Mulvaney opted against challenging the two-term senator.

A hacking episode resulted in the theft of South Carolina taxpayers’ personal information and a public relations problem for Gov. Nikki Haley, also up for re-election this year. Graham advised her on the situation, and now she has better poll numbers than he does.

It also helped that two of the most promising contenders to unseat him from his own party found, er… better things to do.

State Sen. Tom Davis, an aide to former Gov. Mark Sanford, predicted before the Republican convention in 2012 that South Carolina voters would oust Graham. But Davis said he could do more for his libertarian-leaning causes in the state Senate, and that to run against Graham, he would need to raise a lot of money.

There was a movement to draft Mulvaney, but he demurred, saying he doesn’t enter races he can’t win.

The crowded field of more than a half dozen people seems to be working as something of a double edged sword, given the way the South Carolina primary process works. On the one hand, Graham needs to get more than 50% of the vote to avoid a runoff, which becomes incrementally more difficult as more contenders throw their hats in the ring. On the other, having such a low signal to noise ratio, it becomes harder for the contenders to break through. None of the challengers are registering at more than 10% in the latest polls. Of course, if one of them does wind up in a runoff with Graham, that will focus attention and possible support, but would it be enough to surge into the lead? And let’s not forget the $7M advantage. It’s given Graham the luxury of time and greasing some palms to keep himself in good favor with the folks who count.

Whenever he isn’t in Washington, Graham is campaigning.

The money the senator has amassed for his race means he can run ads almost daily, host free barbecues and ice cream socials and organize the more than 5,000 precinct captains that he claims into a massive get-out-the-vote effort.

Any battle to unseat Graham was always going to be a tough one and it would require some serious organizational skills – as well as cash – to pull it off. Whether any of this crop of contenders can muster that type of effort will be coming clear next month. The South Carolina Senate primary takes place on June 10th.

Comments

What? Couldn’t anyone convince Christine O’Donnell to move to SC…?

JohnGalt23 on May 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I don’t live in SC, but if Graham is forced into a runoff I intend to donate to his opponent. I suspect others will as well.

Hera on May 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Another Graham thread.

You need to post something about Talladega today, Americana at its finest.

Bishop on May 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

‘Cruising’ in a title with Lucy Graham? Oh my.

slickwillie2001 on May 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM

SC voters like lifers, pork and bribery. Why change now?

Still, it would be fun to see Palin go down there and campaign for one of his opponents. At least make it competitive.

Dongemaharu on May 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Lindsey {Lohan} has six opponents here in S.C.. I’d be willing to bet that nobody could name all six of them if they’re life depended on it.

One is a convicted felon and former State Senator who has a reality show and decided he needed to get back into the rink. I’ve seen exactly three commercials that his opponents have run against him.

His approval rating is in the 40s, everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that “someone” gets into a runoff with him. I wouldn’t be counting on that tactic.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

What is this almost daily crap. His ads run every day. Typical ad is a mention of a bill he introduced or co sponsored. Followed by the voice over intoning Lindaey Graham He gets things done. There is no acknowledgment that none of his bills go anywhere. (And I am happy his Cap & Trade Bill went nowhere)

tmitsss on May 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Ted.Cruz.
There were 10 candidates in the TX. GOP 2012 Senate Primary and TC drew 4% in polls. He wound up being the first second place finisher behind Dewhurst, Mr. megabucks self-funder and establishment darling. The rest is history.

jffree1 on May 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Oh, HELL no!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Lee Bright – hard in debt last I knew.
Nancy Mace – feminist stalking horse who helped spread rumors against Nikki Haley
Richard Cash – don’t know much about him except the name.

A guy named “Connor” who I remember mentioned in the article posted in the headlines yesterday.

So “bang” I guess. Needed six and I only got three and a half. In a universe where Jim DeMint is still a Senator, Tim Scott is probably cruising his way to a well funded 1st round victory. As is, no clue how any of the unknown field finds anything well into double digits.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Another Graham thread.

You need to post something about Talladega today, Americana at its finest.

Bishop on May 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Restrictor plate racing stinks and is insanely dangerous even for a sport like Nascar where danger is understood and taken in stride. Nascar outgrew Daytona and Talladega 30 years ago and both should be taken off the schedule in their current format. That’s one of the most unpopular opinions that I hold political or non-political but I stand by it. Nascar should encourage a paperclip track similar to the old one on the beach to be built in Daytona and race that twice a year instead. Talladega, don’t know how to reformat that, but they should.

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

jffree1 on May 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

The whole point of this primary is to hold Graham below 50% and force a run-off. It can be done.

These stories are just to push the inevitability of Lindsey Graham and try to demoralize the base.

jffree1 on May 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Lindsey Graham WILL cruise to victory in South Carolina.

While many, including me find him hard to vote for – the fact of the matter is he serves his voters in South Carolina very well, and he is one hell of a retail politician.

You can dislike him – but you cannot deny his political skills.

He will win easy.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I don’t attend for the race really, rather for the spectacle of the crowd, it’s awesome in ways that can’t be described.

Even if someone isn’t a race fan they should just once attend one of the big races and partake.

Bishop on May 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Bishop on May 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I went to Charlotte a couple years ago – you are right the in person experience of big Nascar race is tactile, and hard to explain.

Awesome – comes to mind.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Lindsey Graham WILL cruise to victory in South Carolina.

You can dislike him – but you cannot deny his political skills.

He will win easy.

And that’s why the country is going downhill. Conservatives not voting their convictions.

K. Hobbit on May 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

He keeps a dem from being elected so I can live with him.

tomas on May 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Conservatives not voting their convictions.

K. Hobbit on May 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Actually – most (most) conservatives in SC will vote for Graham.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I mean, seriously, if you are a conservative in South Carolina and you are going to vote for Graham, you need to take a serious look in the mirror.

K. Hobbit on May 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

We’re beating a dead horse here. Let’s move along to something we can do about or at least is much more interesting.

almostmexicoaz on May 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

jake-the-goose

Yeah, he’s just the greatest.

xblade on May 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Actually – most (most) conservatives in SC will vote for Graham.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I’ll bet that Tim Scott draws more votes in the general than Lindsey does. If he survives a run off {and I think he will} no conservative I know will pull the lever for him. They will for Scott though.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

K. Hobbit on May 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Speaking only for myself and my small group of “conservatives” here in SC – we are getting a little tired of hearing about how conservatives should act and vote.

Some carry the banner of CONSERVATIVE in a fashion that is increasingly isolated, angry, and non-inclusive.

It’s not helping anyone – IMO.

That said – we in the GOP cannot survive on making things happen without everyone on the right participating.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Again – I find Graham as grading as anyone else – but I can measure value and effectiveness – and on that scale – Graham wins.

It’s easy to be critical of the man – all too easy.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

It’s not helping anyone – IMO.

Some of us in other states have to put up with the bleh that you keep voting into office.

K. Hobbit on May 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

This thing with Graham is really eating away at you, isn’t it, Mr. Shaw?

I hope you’ll be this adamant in bull-dogging Richard Burr in 2016. He is to NC what Graham is to SC. (And NC maybe looking at a second Senator of the same cut in Tillis).

We’ll have to see how it goes in SC. Graham doesn’t inspire turnout. Which you can count on it he knows, hence his efforts of late to put himself in the limelight by all these television appearances.

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

It’s easy to be critical of the man – all too easy.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

You betcha! Since he’s Arizona’s third vote and McLame’s resident hemorrhoid.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Why are there six challengers? Why can’t they all rally around one challenger?

thebrokenrattle on May 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Indeed they will. Scott’s stock is high in SC.

Did you hear about Scott’s listening tour?

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM

K. Hobbit on May 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Same here.

I contributed twice to Nancy Mace’s campaign – but she has not presented anything other than typical talking point policy statements.

I have never understood when upstart candidates don’t tell you in detail who they are and what they stand for.

I think idiot consultants tell them to be high level and vague.

Too bad – it rarely works.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

You betcha! Since he’s Arizona’s third vote and McLame’s resident hemorrhoid.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Boy – you are right there

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Trey Gowdy is South Carolina’s rising star.

Hopefully he will find a hair style.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

If you’re looking to Trey to challenge Graham, don’t. He’s already specifically said that he has no interest in becoming a member of the Senate. He’s very well suited and highly effective in the position he has now.

I suspect that we may actually have Lindsay Graham to thank for that one. And as much as I dislike the man, I can’t help but admit that if he was instrumental in getting Trey that position, he did us all a huge favor.

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Need to repeal the 17th Amendment. We don’t need a “super” Representatives, but rather someone to look out for the federal interests of the States.

DanielObrien42 on May 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

jffree1 on May 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

That^

Mimzey on May 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM

It’s not helping anyone – IMO.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I disagree with the increasingly qualifier. They’re just as unhinged and deranged as in the last few years. Otherwise, very well put.

This was a huge failure though. If there was an incumbent Republican Senator that should have been strongly challenged in the primary it was Graham – even if I admit he’d be difficult to oust in any case. He’s constantly attacking other factions of the party, giving ammunition to Democrats and votes way to the left of the state. A strong challenge would be immaterial in terms of general election, successful or not. Yet conservatives failed to recruit even a C-lister and decided to prioritize challenges to Senators who are well to the right of Graham in much less conservative states.

joana on May 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I think the upstate Tea Party had more to get Gowdy into office, than Lindsey {Lohan} did. The way I remember it, anyway.

I know Gowdy said he wasn’t interested in running for the Senate, but if he did he would’ve beaten Graham like a ugly step child. He’s a up and rising star, hopefully he doesn’t take a turn like Graham did. Remember he {Graham} was a “House Manager” for impeachment back when.

The last time he actually did something useful.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I think the upstate Tea Party had more to get Gowdy into office

This is true. What I meant when I said “position” is Trey’s role in the various Committees he works with as a member of the House Judicial, Oversight, etc.) Given Gowdy’s legal background, he’s very suitable and effective in that role.

It’s what Gowdy loves, what he’s passionate about and good at, and it has served us well for him to have that position.

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Jake, you are either a fraud or have been in a state of suspended animation since 2000 and have not learned the lessons about the GOP that we have since then when many of us had sentiments like you express.

I suspect fraud. And weirdo.

FrankT on May 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

South Caroline…. you elected Trey Gowdy, what the hell is wrong with you on Grahamnesty?

ultracon on May 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I don’t think Lindsey had all that much influence. Don’t forget this was the ’10 wave election that gave the repubics a huge victory. Many of those Tea Partiers were given lots of favors. Then by the ’12 election Boner, was tired and finished with them and many who opposed Boner ended up losing many positions after that election.

Now you have the repubic leadership from both Houses openly opposing and denigrating the Tea Partiers. I have lots of hope for Gowdy, I think he terrific. Yet I have this niche from way back when. . . when I felt the same about Lindsey.

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Lindsey Graham WILL cruise to victory in South Carolina.

You can dislike him – but you cannot deny his political skills.

He will win easy.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Corruption. There is a serious integrity problem among conservatives, and if conservatives do not start cleaning up themselves and their ranks soon, the country is finished. Don’t blame Obama. You are voting for the people you know help him.

Observation Post on May 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Closeted gay sissy RINO Graham will almost certainly be re-elected with a major margin in both the primary (where competition is limited to unfunded dreamers) and general election (the South Carolina Democrap party seems to consist of blacks and gays).

Come on, the guy has a multi-million dollar taxpayer-funded re-election machine, plus 99% of the business fundraising from South Carolina due to the corruption of the Senate enabling him to play crony capitalist for every lobbyist who uses the word “Guvmint”.

A two-term Senator is virtually incapable of losing in a primary. It is a testament to the almost unprecedented success of the so-called Tea Party that they enabled so many new challengers to win Senate primaries. Lee, Mourdock, Cruz, Rubio, Not-a-Witch, Joe Miller, Angle, Rand Paul, Scott Brown — all won difficult primaries and several defeated incumbent or establishment-supported Republicans.

But it’s awfully hard to imagine them catching lightning in a bottle again in SC, with half the state on Graham’s payroll.

Jaibones on May 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Tim Scott and Nikki Haley have higher favorable ratings then Graham in SC. Both have declined to endorse Graham. Last I saw Graham is polling at 45% even against this weak field and he needs to get to 50% to avoid a runoff.

Hera on May 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Hot Air LOVES this because they are water carriers for the establishment.

tcufrog on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Graham is the prototypical establishment candidate, the sort the national GOP loves. He’s also John McCain’s BFF.

This is the problem with primary challenges where there’s no motivation to unseat the incumbent. They turn out to be a waste of energy and breath.

WestVirginiaRebel on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

The logical conclusion here is not that Lindsey Graham did you a favor, but that you should start paying close attention to what Trey Gowdy does.

Observation Post on May 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

De Oppresso Liber on May 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I really must be expressing this badly.

I don’t think Graham had that much influence on getting Gowdy elected. I do think Graham may have had some influence in easing Gowdy’s path to the various Committees Gowdy works on in the House.

That would fit with Graham modus operandi when he sees someone who could present a credible challenger for his (Graham’s) current seat in the Senate.

Personally, I don’t understand why none of Graham’s challengers didn’t draw more attention to Graham’s alliance with the Chamber of Commerce and the links from Chamber of Commerce to Common Core. The upstate in particular would not be receptive to Common Core at all.

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Observation Post on May 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

You’re implying that Trey Gowdy is a sell-out? I’ve seen nothing to indicate that this is true on any level at all.

It would fit with what we’re learning about Graham’s tactics for him to find out the hopes, goals, ambitions, etc., of someone who could prove to be a threat to Graham, and make use of his (Graham’s) connections in Congress to further that person’s ambitions as a way of removing the threat to himself (Graham). I think that’s what Graham did with Gowdy. But it doesn’t necessarily follow that Gowdy is a sellout.

My opinion is that Graham is a manipulative smake-in-the-grass of the highest order who leans more toward contempt for the people who elect him to serve their state than of genuine concern for them.

I’d like nothing better than to see him gone. By the same token, as someone who lives in a state that has a Graham of our own (Richard Burr – NC), I don’t have much in the way of illusions about how difficult it could prove to be to make that happen.

SC voters have a chance to get rid of Graham with the runoff. I hope it happens.

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Hot Air LOVES this because they are water carriers for the establishment.

tcufrog on May 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

And yet you are here.

thebrokenrattle on May 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Yep…Graham wins easily and also the general

NC has it’s own problems right now. If Tillis goes to a runoff against Dr Brannon, who was recently indicted on fraud charges, the runoff is schedule for July. Not enough time to defeat Kay Hagen who is hitting Tillis hard here in NC

There are 6-7 names on the NC Senate primary…absolutely ridiculous

Redford on May 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM

joana on May 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

OH Help Me!!!!!!!!!….I agree!

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

ultracon on May 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM

…I know!…it makes no sense!… unless all the people from blue states who have moved into Carolina over the years…are elsewhere in the state…and not many moved into Gowdy’s district.

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Redford on May 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Think that six weeks is too little time?

Primary vote here in NC is Tuesday. That gives the person who wins the Republican primary six weeks to prepare for the general.

Voters in SC only have two weeks. That’s it.

This is being challenged for several reasons.

If you live in SC, please pass the word on that issue. The louder the voices in the state, the greater the chance of extending the period between primary and runoff.

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM

“The person” Should be “candidates”
“General” should be “runoff”

lineholder on May 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Miss Lindsey, along with McVain and stupid Rubio, cheered on the Dummy in Chief in Libya.

Congratulations stupid voters.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Hera on May 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I plan to do the same thing. There’s point of in donating during the SC primary since there are 4-5 challengers.

Miss Lindsey illustrates the problem conservatives have – the donor class has deep pockets.

bw222 on May 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM

What? Couldn’t anyone convince Christine O’Donnell to move to SC…?

JohnGalt23 on May 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Maybe they could convince Mike Castle. That way, we’d be sure to be voting on sending articles of impeachment to the judiciary. Oh right, he only does that against his own party.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM

John Galt 23 I’m convinced you’re as big a liberal as any democrat. For God’s sake if you’re on our side I can’t tell the difference.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I live in SC, & I would NEVER vote for Lindsey Graham.
It would be like voting for McCain all over again.
& yes, he’ll win.

“The money the senator has amassed for his race means he can run ads almost daily”. Try multiple times daily. We are being inundated with disgusting (I say this, ’cause its all lies) commercials, with his face lifted up to the sky, & touting what a great conservative he is, & how he’s always been there for the people in SC.

Do people believe this?!? In my small group of acquaintances, none of us are voting for him.
Ah, to quote Hillary, “What difference does it make”. None at all. He’s got an enormous war chest, & money talks.

Good observation, hawkdriver. Your “big a liberal as any democrat” also accurately describes Lindsey Graham. Added to his liberalism, gosh, I’m sick of trial lawyers running our country. It’s the blatant dishonesty that gets to me the most.

Belle on May 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Congratulations stupid voters.

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Nuff said. Graham is a loathsome sellout….voters who pull a lever for him are hurting the country. It’s really that simple.

cthemfly on May 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM

hawkdriver on May 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Even if he is on “our” side, which is debatable, his need to appear intellectually superior far outweighs any desire to convince you.

Cindy Munford on May 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM

He keeps a dem from being elected so I can live with him.

tomas on May 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Congrats. That fairly succinctly sums up the reason the GOP is a decrepit, meaningless, powerless, mewling also-ran party.

Midas on May 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Tomas: “He keeps a dem from being elected so I can live with him”

Well, we can all learn from our mistakes, right?
I did that for McShame, won’t do it for Ms. Lindsey.

The clarity that defines the GOP was apparent to me when Boehner was not voted in once, but twice, as speaker of the house.

Belle on May 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Midas on May 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Pretty much this. The attitude that Republicans should be guaranteed votes solely on the merits of keeping a Democrat out of office is the cancer in the party. It allows corrupt, lifer, go along to get along politicians who have no intention of going out of their comfort zone.

And this promised Republican trifecta, like that fabled hill to die on, is a mirage in the distance meant to keep dopes on the reservation.

Dongemaharu on May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Dongemaharu on May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

You got it spot on .

Lucano on May 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I live in SC, & I would NEVER vote for Lindsey Graham.
It would be like voting for McCain all over again.
& yes, he’ll win.

Belle on May 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I am also a South Carolinian, and I echo the sentiments of Belle. I will never, ever, vote for this fraud in the primary or in the general election. My hope is that he pulls under 50%, which would mean a runoff. From there, the one left standing could somehow, some way, against all odds, win. Those I’ve spoken with know he’s a RINO writ large. If he knew South Carolinians would put up with it, he’d declare himself what he really is — a democrat. Talk about a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Conservchik on May 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I’m tired of the republican fatcat establishment rigging the deck. As the republican party stands now, it is heading for extinction like the dodo bird, and is just as dumb as its predecessor.

Conservchik on May 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Graham was no more in trouble this year than in 2006. His “opposition” is a bunch of whiners who have never been able to find a candidate. I’ve been here telling them for years, “Raise $2 million before you run your mouths.”

That’s about what you would need for a legitimate challenge. Even so, it would be hard to find a viable candidate. Running against the incumbent in the primary and losing is political suicide, so no one with prospects of future would do it.

And Graham runs like Thurmond: he works at it, running as if from behind. He was never going to make it easy, and once again it was too hard for his critics who talk a great fight.

▪■▪■

Gingotts on May 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Nonsense. Tim Scott is no fool. He was a first term Congressman in a very safe district. It’s one thing to get an appointment to an open seat and run as an incumbent Senator, quite another to challenge an entrenched incumbent of your own party.

Scott’s political mentors are Sanford and Haley. They would have prevented him from listening to the nuts who would have tried to get him to challenge Graham.

Don’t feel bad, I can’t name all six, either, I could only add Det Bowers, the preacher from upstate, and Bill Connor, because he also ran for Lt. Gov. last time around. There’s someone else in and one dropped out. Nobody cares.

Adjoran on May 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Another problem Graham opponents have is they are idiots. Calling him a liberal is just plain STUPID. The man has a lifetime ACU rating of 90, the average Republican in the Senate has 76.

Sure, he goes off the reservation on some high-profile issues, amnesty and the Gang of 14, usually joining McCain when he does. But other than those single issues, he is a reliable conservative vote and it is a flat out LIE to say otherwise.

Some whiners don’t like his votes to confirm Obama nominees, but his approach is the traditional one. It is Democrats who have brought ideology into judicial nominations.

Many are the hypocrites who stayed home and refused to vote for our nominees McCain and Romney, then complain about Republicans voting to confirm Obama nominees. Elections matter. These are the whiners who elected Obama, now with the nerve to complain.

Adjoran on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

SC voters like lifers, pork and bribery. Why change now?

Dongemaharu on May 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM SC voters like lifers, pork and bribery. Why change now?

Dongemaharu on May 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Gee, no bigotry there, Dong. Pull the 2×4′s out of the voter’s eyes in your own state before you bitch about the splinters in ours.

Conservchik on May 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Adjoran on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Bingo! I blame the hard right more than the left wing stupid voters, because supposedly the hard right wingers are ‘intelligent’

Redford on May 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Lindsey Graham WILL cruise to victory in South Carolina.

You can dislike him – but you cannot deny his political skills.

He will win easy.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

He’s done nothing for our state except to embarrass us with his partnership with the liberal democrats.

Conservchik on May 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Oops — last sentence should not have been struck down.

Conservchik on May 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Adjoran on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Adjoran, the ACU isn’t as conservative as it once was. Don’t think for one minute that Graham couldn’t buy them off to get the rating. I look at all that he’s done in the aggregate and yes, HE IS A LIBERAL. Look who he cozys up to — Schumer, Durbin, Kerry, all the fun little libs we love to hate. Who you associate with is who you are. He sells conservatives out all the time. He’s not just occasionally off the reservation, he’s always off the reservation. He talks and talks but never walks the walk.

Conservchik on May 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

He keeps a dem from being elected so I can live with him.

tomas on May 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Having Graham on the ballot in the general election guarantees the election of a Democrat. It becomes a choice between a Democrat who admits it and a Democrat who doesn’t.

Spend the time between now and the primary spreading the word. Lindsey has to go. Tell your family, friends, coworkers, anybody who will listen. I had a conversation with my boss the other day and I think it opened his eyes. He simply hadn’t given it much thought. I’m sure there are a lot of people like that. Talk to them.

backwoods conservative on May 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I was hoping Gowdy would run, good news is that 6 years from now Nikki Haley will no longer be Governor of SC and will likely be able to challenge Lindsey, and John McCain and Mitch McConnell will likely be leaving/left the Senate and won’t be able to protect him.

Anyway, getting Shannon and Sasse elected as well as McDaniel in Mississippi ( the ACU! even endorsed him as well as every other group)

And possibly Wolf in Kansas, will be a good win for us. And Cotton and Scott are winning their seats by Default.

MWC_RS on May 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

South Carolina is basically kicking ass right now. I doubt the voters will boot Graham. Chick and others need to calm down and count your blessings.

mike_NC9 on May 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Lindsey Graham WILL cruise to victory in South Carolina.
You can dislike him – but you cannot deny his political skills.
He will win easy.
jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Perfect example why people are fleeing the GOP in droves.

Brock Robamney on May 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Adjoran: “Many are the hypocrites who stayed home and refused to vote for our nominees McCain and Romney, then complain about Republicans voting to confirm Obama nominees. Elections matter. These are the whiners who elected Obama, now with the nerve to complain”.

Hey, I’m many things, but don’t see myself as a hypocrite. I listened to McShame’s Mom, held my nose & voted for him. I also voted for the liberal republican, Mitt Romney. I figured he’s got to be better than a progressive. With each of these votes, I just felt plain bad. Okay, forget my feelings, but I’m still not going to vote for Graham. Conservchik is right: “HE IS A LIBERAL. Look who he cozys up to — Schumer, Durbin, Kerry, all the fun little libs we love to hate. Who you associate with is who you are. He sells conservatives out all the time”.

Graham ought to do the right thing, Arlen Specter style. Why, he could even challenge Hillary. But he won’t, because he’s dishonest to the core.

Mike, you’re right, Graham will win, & do so handily. & we don’t have to calm down, I think we already are. Sort of takes me to the Serenity prayer. But we’re alive & will continue to express our sentiments.

Lastly, I have no faith in the republican party. When I think of the GOP, one word comes to mind: Sellouts. & then the next thing I think of is Boehner, mocking conservatives holding out against amnesty.

Belle on May 4, 2014 at 7:02 PM

This is so frustrating.A few months ago the prevailing mood was this was going to be our shot at getting rid of the traitorous fruitcake.In the interim Graham has been doing what he has done in the past-running countless ads touting his conservative bonafides on issues like Benghazi,the Boeing union kerfuffle,and Obamacare.I have not seen a single ad from any of his challengers taking him to task on all the times he has betrayed conservatives.I would venture to say most Republican voters don’t even know he has any challengers.I have no idea what these people opposing him are doing,if anything.And I lost a lot of respect for Mulvanry,who could have beaten graham,but instead proved he was nothing more than a typical corrupt politician.If one of Graham’s challengers would run just one freking ad attacking Graham,it would at least begin to counter the juggernaut that is convincing the typical low-information voter that Graham is as conservative as Ted Cruz.We dis have an opportunity to destroy this lying SOB but I fear we may have lost it.

redware on May 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

P.S. Doesn’t the latter part of this blog reflect the schism in the republican party? The mainstream, liberal wing of the GOP vs the sanity of conservatism. Okay, that’s a little strong, but you get my drift.

Question: How many conservatives do you think will sit out this election cycle?

Last count for 2012 was 3 – 4 million. Granted there’s a vast difference of turnout in a mid-term vs a presidential election.

Personally, I’m going to be there voting for Haley. Her potential problem is with Tom Ervin, the Independent.

Belle on May 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Trey Gowdy is South Carolina’s rising star.

Hopefully he will find a hair style.

jake-the-goose on May 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Amen. I hope he’s my President someday. But he needs to slick that hair back Pat Reilly style.

AYNBLAND on May 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

9I am sick and tired of these squishy fake conservatives throwing around Graham’s ACU numbers.Look at the votes that count you stupid fools.On major issues-the ones that make or break this nation, Graham votes like a freaking liberal.On Supreme Court nominees.on amnesty.on voting for cloture to make sure Obama’s nominees got confirmed,joining every “gang of…”to conspire with Progressives,etcetera,etcetera.I voted for McCain and Romney.It made me nauseous but I did.Hell,I have voted GOP every year since I started voting in 1969.I have contributed my dollars and my time to the GOP and what do I get in return.Mitch McConnell and John Boehner mock conservatives and do everything possible to insure Socialist progressive victories.I have had it.The GOP no longer represents me,so they can do without my money,my time and my votes.

redware on May 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Stop bashing South Carolina Conservatives for Graham. We have to force a run-off or yeah he will win again. I know living here in the Upstate of SC, many, many libs here vote for the man KNOWING he’s the best chance THEY have. He isn’t a good politician, he’s the result of the GOP/DEM party working together to secure their best interests.

SC has an open primary as well, and that is where I learned he was backed (not quite openly) by the DEM party in SC. The last time he came up for re-election I pulled into Sugar Creek and noticed several DEM affiliated cars parked and voting in what was a Republican primary.

Any Republican who votes for Lindsay Graham is a traitor.

Mfarmer on May 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Adjoran on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Most people will read this and think “Adjoran is a liberal bitch and a troll”, but I, Jaibones, am here to help you understand. Clearly you have some sort of misconception regarding Miss Lindsey.

Read. Learn.

Jaibones on May 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Wow, you mean that purity, the pureness of the righteousness of our Tea Party after almost a decade in SC isn’t embraced by the people

strange

EricPWJohnson on May 5, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Adjoran on May 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The issues he goes off the reservation on are the issues that matter the most. It’s not the quantity of issues it’s the quality of issues. He voted to fund Obamacare, he voted to raise payroll taxes, he is a reliable vote for amnesty. Neocon shills like you are just the reason why we stayed home in 2012

Brock Robamney on May 5, 2014 at 5:36 AM

Lindsay Graham – model for “House of Cards”

I live in SC and here in the upstate he is loathed – unfortunately most voters are uninformed and not passionate about principles. We need another Jim Dimint but politics in SC is still today stuck in the “Good Ole Boy” days.

alQemist on May 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Is HA an advocate of Grahamnesty? It kinda seems like it.

tomshup on May 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Goober has been in DC way too long, he is deeply entrenched in the lame GOP establishment. He becomes the biggest conservative you ever saw once every 6 years, then he cruises to a win and goes back to business as usual. Disgusting.

One of Goober’s opponents is Richard Cash. I talked to Richard after a primary debate a few years ago, he was running for the seat that Jeff Duncan holds now. He’s a businessman that really doesn’t like what liberal policies are doing to business, and seemed like a solid conservative at the time. I like him, he’d do a good job.

I will vote against Goober in the primary, haven’t decided yet. If needed, I will vote against any (D) in the general, even if I have to hold my nose and vote for Goober. Sad, but that’s how he wins.

CO2FeedsUsAll on May 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM