Open thread: Ruling class gathers at White House Correspondents Dinner to toast itself

posted at 7:01 pm on May 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

Here’s your thread for hate-watching. C-SPAN’s live coverage of the, gulp, red carpet began at 6 p.m. ET and will continue with the dinner itself starting at 8. (There were Beltway pre-parties last night too but C-SPAN doesn’t cover those. Yet.) Obama and tonight’s keynoter, Joel McHale of “Community” and “Talk Soup,” will speak after 9 p.m. There may or may not be some sort of jokey video too, a la last year’s send-up of “House of Cards,” although this year’s organizer seems to be wary of making things too festive. And of course, there’s bound to be at least one joke in the main event that everyone finds tasteless, a la O chortling a few years ago about sending drones after the Jonas Brothers if they don’t stay away from his daughters. Odds are good that tonight’s will involve Benghazi.

I’ll spare you my annual rant and give you two quotes to meditate on instead. First, let’s meet the people who govern you and their media “watchdogs.”

According to the source, “there are way too many [A-list celebrities] who have had pretty weird experiences at the dinner. A lot of the people who have gone say they’ll never do it again. The room is so crowded. It’s uncontrolled. There’s no limit to the number of people trying to get photos and autographs — and there’s no way to hide from it. It’s like the stars are animals in a cage. People go crazy when they see them. They act like a bunch of kids at the Kids’ Choice Awards.”

Publicists tell their clients that it’s OK to attend the dinner — especially if they want publicity for a project — but that they should be wary. This is a crowd that gropes and grabs. A few years ago, one drunken guest actually bared her breasts to Ben Affleck as he was walking to the men’s restroom. (That was the last time he attended the dinner.) And it’s not just the megastars who get the unwanted attention, which often comes from the correspondents’ dates.

“They’re infatuated with anyone who is sort of famous,” according to one previous attendee. “People on reality TV shows are walking around like they’re the secretary of state — and they’re actually getting their pictures taken with the real secretary.”

Second, thoughts from the editors of The Federalist on the “nerds” at “nerd prom” who definitely don’t want you to think they consider themselves elite, even though they palpably are and do:

There is a certain appeal to “Nerd Prom” as a name: it’s short, it has basic meter, it seems harmless, it’s easier to say than “Dinner with People Who Sleep and Socialize Together At All Hours And Then Pretend to Cover One Another Objectively,” less alarming than “The Ruling Class And Its Propagandists,” and certainly less gauche than “Thronesniffers Unite!” It fits into Twitter (the Official Social Network™ of “Nerd Prom”) in a compact, hashtaggy fashion in ways that “Careerist Forced Bonhomie” or “Abandoning My Middle-American Values” does not. These cats know how to live by the promise of hashtag…

“Nerd Prom” is the cultural appropriation of the experience of the powerless by the powerful, not unlike Miley Cyrus’s appropriation of urban African-American culture, but without her sense of propriety, dignity, respect, humility, and restraint. And by God, they’re going to ride that wrecking ball you paid for through every traditional American institution they can find.

You can watch on C-SPAN if you’re in front of a TV or, if not, on C-SPAN.org’s livestream. While we wait for O, here’s “This Town” author Mark Leibovich shaking his head at the epitome of “This Town” clubbiness.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

HonestLib on May 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Im working/drawing
and watching two races on two tele’s
so Im up…

though I spent most of the time daydreaming..
missing my Grams and Mom..

you are lucky to find a nice younger lady to care for you..
im sure it wasn’t your tune writing skills…
maybe it was the oatmeal that attracted her…
she wouldn’t happen to have a sister …would she? jk..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

+ ALL THE POSTS AFTER THIS ONE.

Also to crankyoldlady

You both are amazing, especially going2mars

What a wonderful read on a slow afternoon.
You both restore my faith in humanity, which wanes at times. Women…from a certain generation….who can do without them?

As a social worker (who as worked in hospitals….both medical and psych), I’m well aware of hospitals and doctors. I watch them both like a hawk.

avagreen on May 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

avagreen on May 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Most of humanity out in the real world are good people. Sometimes I think I should stay away from the news and this blog because you get the idea that the world is full of sociopaths. The thing is they are the ones that get into the news.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM

avagreen on May 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I am not a woman… nor am I amazing.. just a son/grandson

my father died when I was 5 weeks old..
they never considered sending me to an adoption home..
they both did what ever was necessary to care for me and my older brothers..
they struggled and suffered for many years caring for us..
I owed them both so much..
for me it was a unique opportunity to pay some of that love back..
nothing amazing.. just a son/grandson..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM

you could start a new web site…
HappyAir…

all happy news all the time…
sweet grandmothers
cute puppies
yummy cookies and comedy… 24/7

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

you could start a new web site…
HappyAir…

I could? Maybe we could hijack one and keep it going like the gulch. I could start a blog if there is any interest. Call it the no politics blog. Then we could discuss wood working and genealogy and cats and whatever.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

you had me at woodworking….smiles…ty
could we also watch…baby eagles??

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I watched a web cast on manned mars missions last week..
1.9 million ppl were watching that thing…

there are 6700 ppl watching that eagle sight now.
with almost 294 million hits…

so if it web hits your after…
add eagles n cool space stuffs..
maybe some jazz….

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I forgot about the eagls today. They don’t seem to do much. If you’re lucky you see them eating. I saw one fly in with a live fish in his claws one day. It wasn’t living for long.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM

its a great day to see the first flight..
its also heart breaking when one of the lil fellows doesn’t make it..

maybe the Temple Bar in Dublin..

or if your a maui sunset kinda girl..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

So we should have a page with just a lot of links.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

The Ireland one is cool. Sound too. I’ll have to save that one.I have one in Oxford England that streams and 2 in German towns that just change. Also a bunch in Los Angeles. I’m always looking for warm places to look at in winter.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Cool idea and I could write about the difference between being a psychopath or a sociopath. Chuckle. It does seem that politics brings out the worst in some folks.

On another note…there was a person this morning at Home Depot that was just rude to everybody. Just down right demanding and mean. I lugged a full pull cart to my truck and noticed the person was standing behind their car; trunk up; and was waiting to get my attention. Sure nuf, the person was so kind in asking me to help load the 50lb bags of mulch for them.

What to do and say? I bit my tongue, loaded the trunk, and said have a nice day. But, the other 99% of folks at Home Depot were nice and that is what I need to remember.

HonestLib on May 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

the best of Happiness dot com..

hey.. what is your opinion of Ancestry dot com?
i checked it out a while back… found my great grand parents
and then the free weekend ended..
do you like it ? use it ?? recommend it ??
what about the cost? to high ? to often? wait for the cheap signup deals??

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM

HonestLib on May 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Why did they think you should do that? I lugged a 50 lb bag of sand out of my truck and into the patio. I always say I can lift 50 lbs off the ground but that’s all. I had to pull it along.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM

HonestLib on May 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Grand Stupidity is always a rough call..
you want to smack some sense into them..i get that part..

but..i would help him too…

perhaps were just saps and too kind…
i still open doors for anyone i can, when ever i can…
its how i was raised..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

WALLACE: How signficant is it?

WILL: Rather less than the Watergate tapes which showed a President at the heart of crime wave suborning perjury and raising hush money and all the rest. This is a memo pushing a narrative that we now know to be false that he should have known to be false at the time, that he probably did know to be false and is therefore meretricious.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

the best of Happiness dot com..

hey.. what is your opinion of Ancestry dot com?
i checked it out a while back… found my great grand parents
and then the free weekend ended..
do you like it ? use it ?? recommend it ??
what about the cost? to high ? to often? wait for the cheap signup deals??

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I think if you have never done your family tree you can find something on there. I never have but I’ve been doing it so long I lready have most of what I need. There are still a couple of lines I haven’t found. You can do a lot for free. Family Search is the LDS site. Their libraries used to have Ancestry but the Ancestry said they weren’t doing it for free anymore and each library had to buy it. So they got people to donate their time and do the same thing. I’ve found they have most of what Ancestry has. There are a lot of other places I could tell you to look.

Have you done any of this at all before? You should start by writing down what you already know. Then you go and talk to old relatives and find out what they know. Download an ancestor chart and write everything down.

Do you want to do this or would you like me to do some looking. I know where to look. Or if I had an email address for you I can send you some of my helps pages I have put together.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM

davidk on May 4

goodafternoon…
i hope your wife is still mending nicely..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM

If you are going to use ancestry or any other site keep a couple of things in mind. If you plug in someone named John Smith you will get a ton of stuff to wade through. If your ancestor has an unusual name it makes it easier. As I said above it’s probably best to write down what you know and make a plan. Figure out what you want to know and then figure out where to find it. If you found your great grandfather are you sure it’s him or someone else with that name.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

davidk on May 4

goodafternoon…
i hope your wife is still mending nicely..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM

She is, thank you.

In two weeks she has lost 14 lbs.

Won’t last long. Today she sent me to Royal Farms for fried chick.

I am so thankful for everybody’s concern.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I could have sworn Efrem Zimbalist died some time ago.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM

its always intrigued me.. but no i haven’t done all the work..
i have so much work going on right now..
just talking about mom n Grams reminded me that you do that work.
so i thought I’d get your opinion of them…
i would imagine as time goes by the little boxes
will get filled up more and more on Ancestry and
someday we’ll be mostly adding new news.. like births

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I am so thankful for everybody’s concern.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I’m so glad she’s better.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

any calorie is a good calorie when they loose that much weight..
gummy bears… icecream… chocolate.. insure.. milkshakes..

mmm fried chicken…!!!

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Lt. Col. Stanwick Hardcastle is not just the most popular psychiatrist at Womack Army Hospital because of his strong jaw, jet-black hair and piercing light blue eyes. He also happens to have earned a wide reputation as a strong supporter of prostitutes and hard drugs in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder.

;) (Think Onion for grunts.)

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:36 PM

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I did notice the multiple name thing..
but I sus’d it out to the correct great grandparents on one side..
i had a stepfather and his family had done it
7 or 8 generations back…
they have been putting it in book form for maybe 100 years now i guess..
so they have done a ton of work..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM

On a recent tour of an ammo manufacturing plant, a friend noticed a very large room filled with pallets of ammo. Now this is shocking. Why? Because it should be shipped out immediately to resellers, like Wal-Mart, to meet the huge demand.

When this person inquired with his tour guide, he was told this was 22LR ammo they were on contract with Wal-Mart to hold and store.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Nearly every mass shooting incident in the last twenty years, and multiple other instances of suicide and isolated shootings all share one thing in common, and its not the weapons used.

The overwhelming evidence points to the signal largest common factor in all of these incidents is the fact that all of the perpetrators were either actively taking powerful psychotropic drugs or had been at some point in the immediate past before they committed their crimes.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I would think Big Pharma is calling their lawyers now
to squash that report..

you will never hear the phrase….. ban pills

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Good to hear for two reasons. One…of course we are glad she is doing better and two…stress about a loved one takes its toll.

I did not mention that she will be able soon to draw and make you guys gobs of money. Nah, I never think that way. Chuckle. Psst, she needs to raise the price when the time is right.

Glad she is on the mends.

HonestLib on May 4, 2014 at 6:00 PM

crankyoldlady on May 4

i have to nip off for a bit to get something to eat..
thank you for sharing the day and your thoughts…
see you later on QotD..
cheers HL and davidk… take care..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Не пытайтесь повторить это дома: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaszAr1Ygps#t=301

Fun starts at 1:46.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I don’t think maybe they’re Russian.

davidk on May 4, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I didn’t know that. I thought because they were young males they had been doing too many video games. They lose touch with reality.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

i have to nip off for a bit to get something to eat..
thank you for sharing the day and your thoughts…
see you later on QotD..
cheers HL and davidk… take care..

going2mars on May 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Me too. See you all there.

crankyoldlady on May 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Have you Conserv-ists ever considered developing some smidgen of a sense of humor? So angry all the time. If you put 1/10th the effort into faking a personality, as you do into forcing minorities to stay in terrible schools, it may turn more voters your way.

Is anger the byproduct of the crushing guilt you all feel from decades of boot stomping the un-whites? “Let me tell you something about the negros”.- Clive Bundy…2016 Republican Standard Bearer.

acetylene420 on May 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM

acetylene420 on May 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Get gassed.

davidk on May 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

acetylene420 on May 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Choked on my tea, I did. Guess you haven’t met the progressive posters I’ve been skinned by…..such as you as I think of it.

Projection…..