Illinois is the worst, say Illinoisans

posted at 8:31 am on May 3, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Here’s an interesting metric for measuring the caliber of a given state: Not merely how many residents are actually up and leaving, but how many residents really want to up and leave. That’s the question that Gallup asked in a new survey released this week, and not at all surprisingly, a full fifty percent of Illinoisans would get the hell out of dodge given the opportunity, followed closely by Connecticuters and Marylanders:

States Where the Most Residents Would Leave if They Could, June-December 2013 States Where the Fewest Residents Would Leave if They Could, June-December 2013

Gallup mentions that high taxes are a major discouraging factor for the people who want to get out of Illinois, and in a poll earlier in April, only 28 percent of Illinoisans reported that they had at least a fair amount of trust in their state government — dead-last place again, with Rhode Island second-to-last at 40 percent and North Dakota in first place with 77 percent. Ouch.

Take note, Gov. Quinn.

The road to reelection for Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) was always going to be difficult. But it looks even harder at the end of a troubling week for the Democrat when a federal probe of an anti-violence initiative he started has received widespread attention in the state.

At minimum, the episode is an unwelcome distraction; at most, it could become a big blow to the good-government image Quinn has carefully crafted, close watchers say.

“It’s obviously very early in terms of the details, but one of the things that Pat Quinn has been able to hang his hat on for about three decades is his positioning himself as a reformer, an outsider and a champion of good government,” said Republican strategist Doug O’Brien, a former aide to Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.). “This really has the potential to undermine what was really one of the few positives he had going in terms of his public image.”

Comments

I guess I’m first on this one.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM

When you get to Texas, leave your big gummint ideas at the border.

…and, Bishop!

DublOh7 on May 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Gallup mentions that high taxes are a major discouraging factor for the people who want to get out of Illinois, and in a poll earlier in April, only 28 percent of Illinoisans reported that they had at least a fair amount of trust in their state government — dead-last place again[.]

Which is why they will do the smart thing: continue electing and re-electing Democrats by overwhelming margins.

Ted the Average on May 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Serious question: why don’t people like living in Connecticut?

I get Illinois, with its endemic corruption, enormous debts and weak economy. But CT and IL effectively tied for the worst.

Ted Torgerson on May 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

When you get to Texas, leave your big gummint ideas at the border.

The vermin bring their poisonous politics with them, completely oblivious to the fact that said politics is the reason why they turned their former state into a sh*thole.

TX, NC, and AZ will soon be Colorado. VA is already there.

Ted the Average on May 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Left IL at the age of 17 (for a stint in the Army) in ’74 and even going back to visit family is a pain.

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Ted the Average on May 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

My family included (except for a small number), Illinois residents are the epitome of the Low information voter. They complain about the pols as much as they do about the weather, then pull the Democrat lever every time.

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I don’t live in Illinois, but put me down as it being the worst…after all, look at the shit they sent to DC.

msupertas on May 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

The Chicago Cook County Machine and its affiliates, called the Combine by John Kass, runs Illinois. It is essentially a one party state.

There are some ‘real’ Republicans among many faux Republican RINOs. Mark Kirk, who almost supported Durban for Senator, is one of the latter. They are basically ‘conservative’ Dems (an oxymoron) who call themselves Republicans in order to get elected and maintain the illusion there is still a two party system.

Blago’s former fellow inmate, fellow ex-Governor Lyin’ Ryan, is another example.

They no longer bother with that charade in Chicago. The mayoral election is the Dem primary. The ‘general’ election is no longer contested by the GOP.

The corruption in Illinois is endemic and pervasive across what passes for a two party system. Enough people profit from it to keep control. Any opposition is intimidated into silence.

Illinois is exactly what you would expect in a state controlled and run by neo-socialist thugs.

And the MSM is in on it. The state’s financial condition is rarely ever mentioned in the local news. When it is mentioned the ‘reporting’ is perfunctory. The MSM, with rare exceptions like Kass, rarely ever criticizes the Dems. The Washington DC MSM are pikers in comparison. Praise of The One and his policies is pervasive in the local media. There is little if any criticism. He can do no wrong and walks on water.

I would move, but I am an getting old and have personal reasons for staying, for the time being. Otherwise I would get the hell out.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

TX, NC, and AZ will soon be Colorado. VA is already there.

Ted the Average on May 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Note that Colorado is right next to Texas in having the fewest residents wanting to leave.

The Resistance is alive and well in CO. We have been dealing with the Kalifornicators for decades.

Joe Mama on May 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

And yet they still elect Democrats.

Go figure.

unclesmrgol on May 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

That looks like one of those spiky curves, though. It flattens out pretty quickly and probably doesn’t mean much beneath Maryland. The weirdness is really confined to Illinois and Connecticut — so those are the populations we need to capture, study, and eventually autopsy.

I’ll get the nets.

Axe on May 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Joe Mama on May 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I’m still trying to figure out the light rail in Denver. They would have done better to build the airport near the center of town rather than miles of eminent domain.

unclesmrgol on May 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I’m one of the Coloradoans that would go elsewhere, but it would be hard. I’ve lived here most of my life (5 in TX), and it’s perfect except for the freakin’ liberals that have moved in and screwed everything up.

kirkill on May 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I’ve never understood people who bitch about government as if it’s just some giant omni present entity(well it is)that they can’t do anything about. People create that entity, and the kind of people you elect will determine what kind of entity is created. Pull the ear buds out and start paying attention.

msupertas on May 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

That’s because Republicans are considered evil. Many may not like the Dems, but voting for a Republican is considered voting for Beelzebub.

Illinois’ voting population is perfectly representative of the low info ignoramuses across the nation who put Comrade O in the WH, twice.

My experience in Chicago and Illinois, and now with Chicago on the Potomac, has convinced me that universal suffrage democracy is fatally flawed, for reasons the Founding Fathers were well aware of and feared.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Yup and they didn’t see they were putting Beelzebub’s #1 imp in the WH — twice.

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Kissmygrits on May 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I also have family in IL, wonderful people and yet totally in orbit when it comes to politics. I hear you.

In any event, glad to hear you escaped!

Ted the Average on May 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Joe Mama on May 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Well, glad to hear it. Keep up the good fight.

Ted the Average on May 3, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Kissmygrits on May 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Yes indeed- Fl is a perfect example.

bazil9 on May 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Serious question: why don’t people like living in Connecticut?

Ted Torgerson on May 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Desirable areas of CT are extremely expensive, especially regarding Real Estate. I think CT has one of the worst inequality/gini-quotients by state. A lot of people cannot afford it.

If you can afford it and you like suburban living, CT is excellent – esp if you work in finance.

uatu1878 on May 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I’ll get the nets.

Axe on May 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

made me lol for some reason….

bazil9 on May 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Yup. But saying so makes one a Troglodyte these days.

Oh, and we’re never going to turn the clock back, unfortunately.

Cleombrotus on May 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Kissmygrits on May 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Surely you must mean Crist.

Cleombrotus on May 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I travel thru Chicago a couple times a week. Along I-294 are a number of billboards that ask: “Still Illinoyed?” Indiana is trying to steal away business from Thugcity.

DStreete on May 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM

When hasn’t the Governor of Illinois been under investigation ?
… and I don’t mean just this current Governor.

J_Crater on May 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Illinostrils do leave, every month they travel up to the Twin Cities to get their double-dip welfare checks, but yeah then they go back so I suppose it doesn’t count.

Bishop on May 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

As a life-long Illinois resident, this is very accurate.

There’s some kind of culture here where the voting public fully accepts that politicians are corrupt, that taxes need to be high, that paying more for everyday products is the norm (gasoline, etc.), that the “intentions” of Progressives are of greater value than results, that teacher union thugs are good for public education, etc.

The icing on the cake is that the weather here really, really sucks.

visions on May 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

And let’s be honest here, Illinois tags just behind the cesspools of Wisconsin and Iowa on the list of states we could sell to China and no one would care or notice.

Bishop on May 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

DStreete on May 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I see them every morning while I drive from my home in Indiana to my job in Illinois. I’m unfortunate enough to live in a deep blue part of Indiana. In addition to having to pay Illinois’ 5% state income tax, I now have to pay about a 2% county income tax.

When you get to Texas, leave your big gummint ideas at the border.

…and, Bishop!

DublOh7 on May 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I have no big gummint ideas to bring, so don’t worry about me. :) At this point, moving to Texas would merely be attempt to live in an area with something approaching a rational and reasonable government.

JimLennon on May 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

As an Illinoisan with a hopelessly underwater mortgage, I can relate with the 50% that wants out. I want out too. I’m looking for any way I possibly can. Illinois is a sinking ship. I am not even sure that electing Bruce Rauner in November will be enough to save Illinois.

h a p f a t on May 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

When hasn’t the Governor of Illinois been under investigation ?
… and I don’t mean just this current Governor.

J_Crater on May 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM

For quite awhile now IL governors have been prone to develop Chicago ‘feditis’, as John Kass calls it.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

As a resident of CT for the past nine years, I absolutely would love to get out of this state as soon as possible.
Originally a native of South Jersey, I’m looking to leave behind the entire northeast altogether. I just hope the parasitic residents don’t follow me to greener pastures.

StubbornGreenBurros on May 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

The icing on the cake is that the weather here really, really sucks.

visions on May 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

And its road repair season. During which large stretches of main roads are blocked off and traffic rerouted. About 90% of the time there is not a road repair vehicle or worker anywhere to be seen within a mile or two.

Much of the time there are signs nearby that say something like… ‘Your taxes at work’. The irony is lost on most low info Illinoisans.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

God Bless Texas!

workingclass artist on May 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I once set up shop at a Chicago Convention Center trade fair to promote one of my businesses and when it came time to run power cords for all the lighting and such, I was approached by a guy with a clipboard. This very polite but serious union dude told me I wasn’t allowed to plug anything in, that they had “people” to do that for me. So one guy was assigned to me for an hour or so and all he did was run cords and plug them into the sockets.

Bishop on May 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Bishop on May 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I was once assigned to set up a computer based product display booth at a convention in Chicago. This was decades ago.

Same thing happened. But because they could not configure and connect the actual hardware, they had to watch me do it.

Every night we disassembled part if the display and put the equipment in a locked trunk. One morning the trunk looked like a gang of thugs with the collective brain power of a spider monkey spent all night trying to break into it, unsuccessfully.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I really think a lot of people believe this is the way it’s supposed to be. They don’t realize there is anything else. I remember years ago there was a program to bring kids from the bad areas of N. Ireland to the US so they could see what life is like somewhere else. Maybe they need a program to send kids out of places like Chicago to places like Texas and North Dakota.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

And yet they still elect Democrats.

Go figure.

unclesmrgol on May 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Have you seen our Republicans?

Seriously, just as corrupt.

Stop laughing at us. Can’t leave, most of my family is here.

Fallon on May 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

They think their choices are …

1) a country run by robber barons,
2) or a country run by Christian theocrats,
3) or a country run by Dems.

They are that stupid, ignorant, and indoctrinated. Even the ones attending universities. In many cases especially them.

1) and 2) sum up Comrade O’s entire 2012 re-election campaign strategy.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Arrrrgh! I’ve seen them disrupting traffic to re-stripe roads, only to tear them up the next month. It’s definitely part of the make-work scam.

One of the best gigs in the state is to work for the highway department. I believe it is in their contract to lay down inferior quality roads and then dig them up the next year to “fix them.” I think they might get in trouble if they ever do it right the first time.

Fallon on May 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Here’s what will do. Get O to nuke some major cities. Tell him the repubs are getting ready to take them over.

BruceB on May 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Here’s what we will do. Get O to nuke some major cities. Tell him the repubs are getting ready to take them over.

BruceB on May 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

GOP challenger Bruce Rauner is the ersatz Scott walker or Mitch Daniels of Illinois – keep an eye on him. go bruce

Spyder23 on May 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

The one thing Texas has going for it that I’ve not heard of any other State having is a congress that serves every other year. And when it does serve it’s only for about 6 months. That is, State reps and senators aren’t around all the time to pass worthless laws and regulations. It’s not term limits, per se, but it has a similar effect. The writers of the Texas Constitution pretty much said at the outset that those good ole boys in State government aren’t really that important. In fact, they are, or can be, a bit of a nuisance.

That could all change if the State turns blue (and it will turn blue overnight if amnesty is passed).

Ruckus_Tom on May 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

The transplants always bring their way of voting with them. This is why FL is on the verge of reelecting Christ. Sheese. Kissmygrits on May 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Not always true. I fled MD for AZ. Couldn’t take it anymore. It was a lost cause.

wolly4321 on May 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Hopefully the people that are leaving Illinois are from the red counties. And hope that they go to red states or purple states and keep voting conservative!

anchorman on May 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

And as far as Charlie Crist goes , I lived in Pensacola for two years. Crist is not well thought of in that state. Scott was behind both McCollum and Sink, give him time!!!

anchorman on May 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Ditto…I despise this state. As small business owners, we are utterly screwed coming and going. We can’t move, the kids are here.

I don’t think Rauner will be much better than any other pol….he is just like Kirk. Emmanuel, I think, will be primaried by Preckwinkle, and she will beat him easily. What I DO find interesting is Meeks endorsing Rauner to the “black community”.

The ONLY kudos I will give to Quinn, and give them willingly, is that he attended the funerals of vets in our state. He didn’t really advertise it that much. Good for him.

herm2416 on May 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Madigan ally seeks to derail term limit, remap amendments
Private meeting with minority groups preceded lawsuit

makaput on May 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

On the CT thing, a lot of rich people who work in NYC have a home in CT.
Consequently, RE prices are grossly inflated and the tax rates are high.
Plus, the state loves itself some regulations, brother, permits for EVERYTHING!

Living in MT is overrated, the Kalifornian doctors and lawyers have long since run-up RE prices such that natives cannot live their anymore.

Tard on May 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

interesting thing about 24% wanting to leave Texas – about 35% reliably vote Democrat, so this probably means that 2 out of every 3 democrats in Texas hates their own State. Has quite a bit to do with why no democrats have been elected statewide for a long time; only dem candidates who hate their own state can get enough support from their base to win a primary.

Tom Servo on May 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Illinois used to elect Governors like James Thompson and Jim Edgar and things were pretty good during those years. Just like California elected pro-business Governors like Reagan and Pete Wilson.

It’s the big cities that are infested with slackers, big unions and un-checked local politicians that drag down the rest of the state.

It’s going to take a major, financially painful event to open the eyes of these voters. They don’t think they can become the next Detroit but they will.

Sanctuary cities should have all federal funds cut off.

JetBlast on May 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM

The first nine states are run by Democrats … heh.

As for the piss farm known as the State of ILL, I would leave in a heartbeat but family is too important to us and our daughter and grandson are here. All my brothers. The family cost of leaving is too great – that’s why this is such an important poll. Some people are stuck where they are. I’d be in western Michigan otherwise.

Jaibones on May 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I spent twenty years in Illinois, twelve of them in the Chicago area, and I love Chicago. But I cannot stand the politics anymore. It used to be fun watching the crooks run the place, but now it’s disgusting. I think Obama has something to do with it.

HiJack on May 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Fallon on May 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Except for the Edens Expressway. That’s the most solid road I’ve ever driven on. Even a truck flipping over on it barely caused a slight gash. Most of the roadwork is in outlying areas around Chicago, including the bypass which sees more truck traffic than the rest of the roads. That’s probably why it’s worked on so much, but your point about make-work is a good one. They could build better roads and have less construction.

HiJack on May 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I guess folks in that state are really “ill-annoyed”.
(ROFLMYA I just kill myself sometimes!)

jbspry on May 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Could not have said it better. I retire from my job in just over two years. We’ve told our more liberal relatives that we are leaving this cr@phole to go to Arizona or Texas. They actually seemed surprized that we refuse to stick around this cesspool. We are taking our conservative ways with us. When we settle down, where ever it will be, we will continue to follow our beliefs and faith in a place where we are not ridiculed for it.
Face it all, Illinois sucks.

ChicagoBlues on May 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Johnny was getting underfoot while his mother was cleaning house so she sent him across the street to watch a gang of men building a house. “Maybe you’ll learn something.”
A couple hours later he returned and she asked “did you learn anything Johnny?”
“Yeah, I learned how to say ‘just move it over a c**t hair’”.
“That’s terrible language! You’re being punished – go out in the back yard and get me a switch!”
“Screw you lady – that’s an electrician’s job.”

jbspry on May 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM

HiJack on May 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Coincidentally, the Edens services the north shore, including the old money north shore suburbs.

The Magnificent Mile of Michigan Ave is kept in good shape, too. So are the streets where the ward bosses live.

farsighted on May 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Since these states are mostly (not all) historically democrat states, and the democrat party’s mantra is “tax the wealthy to control the poor” it’s understandable, there comes a tipping point – i.e., leave.

Problem? They leave and bring their tax and control (or is it control and tax?) mindset with them wherever they go; continue to vote democrat and wreck states where they subsequently reside.

If you, Dems, are so interested in “paying higher taxes to keep ‘them’ satisfied” (a quote from a key DFLer in MN), please stay home. We don’t want you or your “progressive,” democrat vote.

MN J on May 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Ted the Average- to your point about the influx of liberals into state population centers.. This is why I would like to see the electoral college abolished and the presidency determined by popular vote. Voters would get “validated” by state ID checks and get a user name and password to vote at voting centers electronically via an INTRAnet.
One vote for all US citizens. No silly hand counting of ballots and hopefully no cheating.. Think of Philly with the 107% turnout.
I mean for those naysayers out there, they certainly can set up a system to collect taxes but not a vote???

tstar44 on May 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Getting rid of the electoral college would ensure democrats in the White House in perpetuity. The president would always be elected by the cities.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM

…why isn’t Michigan in that poll?
Detroit?

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM

visions on May 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

ChicagoBlues on May 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I swear, a lot of IL must vote with a goal to have something to complain about. Complaining is the state pastime. I’ve been away 40 years and yet on visits I still shake my head and think this is what I used to sound like.

I need to move back to Peoria (not really) and start “Complainers Anonymous” — business would be booming.

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM

And based on the above post, I haven’t strayed far from the pasture yet.

SteveInRTP on May 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Serious question: why don’t people like living in Connecticut?

Ted Torgerson on May 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

uatu1878 on May 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM

An estate in Greenwich CT (right on the CT/NY border) sold recently for $120 million. It was the former Estee Lauder estate.

That’s a new American record high sale price for real estate.

Del Dolemonte on May 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Crankyoldlady, I respectfully disagree. The point is that the registration process ensures one vote per person (ideally). If rural voters can get to their voting stations now, there is no difference in the fact it would be online instead of manual ballots and shady Diebold voting machines.. The city vote already dominates the electoral votes in our elections. This would be focused on getting more rural votes to off set the takers. Maybe I am way off here but it is just a suggestion.

tstar44 on May 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Bishop on May 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Old Hollywood joke: How many teamsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer: Three. Four. Twenty. You gotta problem with that?

de rigueur on May 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Texas should require people from California, NY, Michigan, Illinois, etc, to apply for refugee status before allowing them to move here.

K. Hobbit on May 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The problem is Cook county and Chicago. Quinn won three counties, Calhoun, Cook and one other. The entire rest of the state was red.

Simply, Cook county makes life miserable for the rest of the state.

OpportunityCost on May 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM

K. Hobbit on May 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Temporary visa. They get to stay for say 5 years and if they haven’t done anythiing to screw up the neighborhood they get to stay. Otherwise they get deported to some horrific place like Detroit.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Serious question: why don’t people like living in Connecticut?

Ted Torgerson on May 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Spent my childhood and young adult life in the Chicago suburbs living in both Kane and DuPage counties for the better part of 15 years each. Growing up, both of those counties were strictly Republican. As the suburbs grew with legal “immigrants” from Cook County and illegal aliens from the south they took on much of the “what can the government do for me” attitude and plunged into a nanny state vortex.

I feel at “home” when we visit a half dozen times a year because of the many family and friends that still live there, but I will never move back. Operating a small to medium sized business there is a pain in the ass due to regulations, fees and a strong union presence; the traffic is horrible, the roads themselves worse than the traffic (although I-pass seems to have cut down on some of the tollway problems), and there just isn’t a lot of great scenery. I think the city itself from a travel and leisure perspective is truly a great international city. But when you go from lake, city, suburbs, to endless corn/soybean fields there isn’t much else other than your family and friends to keep you entertained.

We moved away to Connecticut 15 years ago to open up new businesses. It is more expensive than most other states and they do tax you, tax you, tax you, but I guess I got used to that growing up in Illinois. Obviously the state is under democrat control much of it due to the cities of Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Stanford. Add in many NYC transplants and I don’t ever see it going GOP again. While the regulatory climate isn’t as easy to deal with as some other states, it’s not as bad as Illinois, particularly as to dealing with unions both here and in NY/NJ.

Connecticut is a beautiful state especially in the spring, summer and fall. Winter not so much just like most of the northeast. We live in a lake community with “mountains” rising up 700′ right off the water and even my neighbor who grew up in Truckee, CA calls this his mini-Tahoe. It will be gorgeous here in two more weeks once the tree buds have been replaced by a hundred shades of green. We’re only 1:15 minute to Manhattan, 2.5 hours to Boston, and you can be skiing in Killington, VT on 3 hours. Not bad.

Include me in the 49% that will eventually leave, but that may be just for the late fall through early spring period once we get a bit older.

Commit To The Indian!
Go Blackhawks!

CTSherman on May 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Fallon on May 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

In a way you are right but it’s not the highway department that builds the roads. The road builders are the ones that create their own job security. In Illinois these guys are possibly the strongest lobby outside of the public employee unions.

The very first paragraph from their website:

“The Associated General Contractors of Illinois (or AGCI as many of our members come to call us) is one of the largest, most influential heavy-highway trade organizations in Illinois. We also have a close relationship with IDOT and the Illinois legislature – making sure your voice is heard.”

CTSherman on May 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Illinois is the worst, say Illinoisans

But like the Californians and others they’ll continue to vote in Lib Dems and RINOs anyway.

Schadenfreude.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM

As an OTR truck driver, I’ve been able to see a lot of Illinois. Pretty state. Then, there’s Chicago and vicinity. If it wasn’t for Chicago, Illinois would be a nice place to live. Pity…

Kraken on May 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Illinois SUCKS!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Ruckus_Tom on May 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Montana’s legislature is in session for 90 days every other year. It works pretty well, but one side effect is that the executive branch ends up basically being more powerful.

acasilaco on May 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Been there, done that.

Lived in Chicago 48 years, born and raised.

Moved to Idaho last November and haven’t been back.

Lance Corvette on May 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Illinois SUCKS!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Truly.

ALT, my wife and I have a running bit that makes me think of you. We see Texas license plates everywhere we go. Everywhere. On vacation in Michigan, driving into the city, going to church, at the grocery store. It is crazy. We don’t believe in weird coincidence and keep asking God for clarity – “Lord, what’s with Texas? Are we supposed to move there or something?”

Still waiting…

Jaibones on May 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Spyder23 on May 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

His wife is a Dem, he contributes to Dems, including Tiny Dancer Rabm. Rauner’s a combine corruptocrat. I guess I’ll vote to remove Quinn, but Rauner is far from a conservative.

Jaibones on May 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Serious question: why don’t people like living in Connecticut?

Good lord, you must have never have been to Hartford, it’s kind of a cross between Detroit and East St. Louis. The whole or should I say Hole state is nothing but a backwater run down suburb of NYC and the speed limit on the Interstate never gets above 55mph, so you can’t get out of there fast enough.

Wallythedog on May 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Wallythedog on May 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, Harrfford looks like a real shithole.

Jaibones on May 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Wallythedog on May 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That might be the most ignorant post I’ve read here in quite a while and there has been plenty of competition.

CTSherman on May 4, 2014 at 2:20 PM

h a p f a t on May 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Except for the underwater part, this is me. Looking to escape and let my home state commit suicide. The libs have created this mess, they can have it ~

nordic prince on May 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Bishop on May 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Awww, only got the 2 cent stamp with you “pair of scaup” painting?

I’m sorry, better luck next year.

Oh Yeah, WHO elected AL FRANKEN?

WryTrvllr on May 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM