Quotes of the day

posted at 7:41 pm on May 2, 2014 by Allahpundit

House Judiciary Committee chairman Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) said Friday at Hollywood’s “Creativity Conference” in Washington that there is a “grand bargain” in the works on amnesty.

ABC News’s Rick Klein Tweeted that Goodlatte told ABC reporter Jon Karl at the event that he is “still searching for ‘grand bargain’ on status of undocumented immigrants,” and that Goodlatte does “believe it will happen.”…

Goodlatte, however, would not predict during the interview when such amnesty legislation would pass. “My job isn’t to predict when it’s going to happen. My job is to build the consensus that we need to have immigration reform,” Goodlatte said.

***

The signs of life for a revitalized push for an immigration overhaul are suddenly popping up everywhere:

Sen. Mike Lee, telling Fox News on Monday that “most members” of the Republican Conference in the House are actually “eager to pass some sort of immigration reform.” The Utah Republican, one of the most visible spokesmen of the tea-party-wing of the party, cautioned that immigration legislation “needs to be broken up. It needs to be taken step by step. One step at a time.”…

California Democrat Xavier Becerra, chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, jumped on McMorris Rodgers’ comments. “It’s important to recognize the statement of House GOP Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers joining those in support of a vote in the House to fix our broken immigration system,” he said Monday in a statement. “The more time Members of Congress spend with their constituents, the more they come to realize how truly important immigration reform is. … The time to vote is now.”…

Galen Carey, vice president of government relations for the National Association of Evangelicals, told the Christian Post last week that members of the speaker’s staff have assured him there would be an opportunity to take up immigration in June and July. Carey is part of a collection of more than 200 evangelicals from 25 states who plan a pro-immigration reform meeting in Washington on Tuesday.

***

“We have to man the watchtowers 24/7,” said Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), referring to a feeling among hard-liners that House leaders will try to sneak through immigration measures…

“It is difficult to plan a specific course of action when the leadership keeps tossing out vague ways to give amnesty to illegal aliens,” Brooks said. The sophomore lawmaker added: “When we see a specific plan from the House leadership, then those of us who favor American citizens first will have a better idea of where the leadership is specifically going and how we will specifically respond.”…

These anti-immigration reform conservatives are now scouring House bills with renewed vigor, looking for provisions in legislative language that could potentially lead to a House-Senate immigration conference, King said. They’re doing so despite repeated assurances from Boehner that House Republicans will not negotiate on the comprehensive Senate bill…

Asked about recent developments on immigration, Diaz-Balart said he now pegs the chances of immigration reform at about 45 percent, adding: “I think 15 [percent] is the highest I ever went before.”

***

Sen. Ted Cruz gathered a group of House conservatives in his office Tuesday night, talking about immigration and House GOP leadership elections slated for after the midterm elections…

[Rep. Mo Brooks] said immigration — and new proposals being floated after Boehner mocked some of his members over the issue — was a major topic. Brooks said Boehner’s comments were “astonishing” and that the Cruz group “naturally” discussed them.

Brooks said his view is that Republicans needed “more diversity” in leadership.

“Right now, we have the top four leaders in the House, none of them are from a Mitt Romney state; all of them are from an Obama state. That’s not diversity. None of the four are from the conservative half of the GOP conference,” he said.

***

A memo outlining the legislative agenda for Republicans in the House of Representatives lists replacement of President Barack Obama’s healthcare law as a priority for the coming weeks but does not mention plans to tackle immigration reform.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor sent the memo to fellow Republicans as they returned from a two-week recess, employing a regular tool to help keep the party unified on its political message in the run-up to congressional elections in November…

Some immigration reform advocates say there is a very short window for passing any bills this year. If Congress doesn’t vote on anything before the traditional August recess, the issue will become too politically charged ahead of the November 4 elections.

***

Over the past two decades, the United States has run an immigration policy that has substantially increased poverty in this country. Two-thirds of immigrant households—that is counting both immigrants and their U.S.-born children—from Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala live in poverty or near-poverty. Other Latin-American immigrant groups fare only a little less badly: more than 50 percent among Salvadorans; just less than 50 percent among Cubans.

Even long-established immigrants are disproportionately likely to stay poor. Among immigrants (of all origins) who have resided in the United States for longer than 20 years, the poverty rate is 30 percent higher than among the native born (of all races).

As the United States debates an immigration reform that will substantially increase the flow of unskilled immigrants, Americans need to keep in mind that the debate over how much immigration to welcome is also a debate about how much more poverty to accept.

***

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has made a calculated and coherent decision to leave the right wing of the GOP behind, and move his party closer to the center, isolating radical and discredited Republican rightists such as Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas). There will be major consequences for Boehner’s move, including the likely passage of a strong immigration reform bill — which will include some credible path to citizenship — before Election Day.

I never agreed with those Republicans and commentators who claimed that immigration reform was dead. That was never true. It is not true today. Boehner’s recent public tongue-lashing, in surprisingly derisive tones, of anti-immigration conservatives in the House Republican Conference was striking and revealing.

Boehner understands that it would be politically poisonous for Republicans to kill immigration reform before the election and to be accused of a war against Hispanics as they are accused of a war against women. President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) are stepping into the breach and moving aggressively to seize the moment. Boehner wants an immigration reform bill. With Boeher’s change of heart, most likely a strong immigration bill will pass before Election Day or Republicans will be blamed by Hispanics, accused of a war against them, and pay a heavy price in November.

***

“I’m in the camp that would much prefer that Congress move to pass something,” said Frank Sharry, executive director of America’s Voice, a pro-reform advocacy organization. “I think if they don’t, the president will be forced to act and I hope he acts boldly and I hope he protects a lot of people.”…

“I haven’t given up hope completely, but my goodness, [House Republicans] issue principles one week and seven days later they have to slam the brakes on,” Sharry said. “They have such an easy time getting to ‘no’ and such a hard time getting to ‘yes’ that it’s hard to be optimistic.”

A senior Democratic aide with direct knowledge of House negotiations said expectations are similarly low inside the Capitol. Despite positive comments from Reps. Joe Barton and Cathy McMorris Rogers on the prospects for reform late last week, the aide said that Republicans have not finished drafting legislative language for their primary reform bill, a difficult and time-consuming job. As GOP progress slowly grinds on, the aide said Democratic lawmakers are increasingly acting under the assumption that it will be Obama, not Boehner, who makes the first substantive move on immigration reform.

“I think for once the president might show some leadership,” the aide said. “We’ll see.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

And she dotes on my little one. Spoils him just like she did me. You just have the same conversation 20 times lol

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM

I never tried the “lil one” approach ..I don’t have any…
interesting thought though…
wonder what he thinks..

the 20 times, never bothered me..
gave me a chance to try 20 punch lines..
I tried to make it fun and happy for her..
and left the logic and reason at the curb..
I rarely understood it
so I was never going to explain it to her..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM

And on that note – night again all! I think I might go sneak a smoke before lights out.

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Outpatient AND by injection?? o_O

Wow. Just wow. Although you might not think so now, PG, your Dear Grandmother IS lucking out! The miracles of modern medicine just boggle my mind any more!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:17 AM

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Take Ratso with you! He needs to find a suitable stick for OC…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:18 AM

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM

He asks me why she always asks how old he is. It’s hard, but it is what it is. He understands. She gives him all you can eat cookies and cakes so he’s cool with repeating himself. He’s easy!!!

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:20 AM

i am now on the shit list…

OmahaConservative on May 3, 2014 at 3:02 AM

…feel bad for you OC…on two fronts!

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2014 at 3:21 AM

Yes Newtie my g’pa had it done 4 yrs ago. Almost instant relief. My mom said she was amazed! Really long needles though. Ick

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Well, the bloom’s certainly off the zero rose:

Few Movie Stars Set to Attend White House Correspondents’ Dinner

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM

sleep well PG.. and be safe..

i’ll come help for all I can eat cookies..!!!

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Oh and ratso’s more than welcome!

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:23 AM

sleep well PG.. and be safe..
i’ll come help for all I can eat cookies..!!!
going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM

thank you!

And I don’t think he’ll share. ;) night!

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:24 AM

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM

o_O

I’m flabbergasted! In awe, and flabbergasted! That. Is. AMAZING!! Still, PG, prayers are ascending for a successful outcome and a speedy recovery for your Dear Grandmother!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Hugs!!!! I always take prayers! =)

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Stevie Ray Vaughn – Crossfire

Niters and sleep well, Friends and Lurkers! That includes you, too, Lancie! Please reconsider and come back to the Glade!

OC, prayers ascending for you, too, at home, with Ratso and in the ER. May Dear Mrs OC continue her winning ways and spoil you rotten once you decide to go. Be sure to remember to do any bowing, scraping and groveling necessary to keep her in good humour and you to remain on her good side. ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:31 AM

PaperGirl on May 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM

I’m thankful that your problems have found solutions mutually beneficial, PG–and that you’ve retained your good humour and recognize Providence when it comes knocking!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM

sleep well NatB.. be safe

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM

Jupiter Will Dazzle Above Moon This Weekend: How to See It

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:44 AM

Space Rock To Zip Between Earth And Moon | Orbit Animation
….duck…..the sky is falling… Asteroid 2014 HL129

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:49 AM

Jupiter Will Dazzle Above Moon This Weekend: How to See It

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 3:44 AM

Thanks for the info! I will be definitely looking for Jupiter this weekend.

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 4:07 AM

for ms J..
chardonnay …
the 2012 Dutton-Goldfield Chardonnay Dutton Ranch Russian River Valley is delightful..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 4:07 AM

evening..
hope your skys will be clear..
I think were more clouds n rain here… :(

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:13 AM

I’ve never seen a group so anxious to commit suicide, and it weren’t for taking the rest of us with them, I wouldn’t mind. Oh, well.

DFCtomm on May 3, 2014 at 4:14 AM

The immigration laws don’t have holes in them but the laws already in effect are not imposed. What good are more laws if they are not enforced? Same as the gun laws, because we have laws do you honestly think any criminal will adhere to them? We also have a Constitution that all elected people right down to the sheriffs swear to uphold, are you hysterical lights coming on yet?

mixplix on May 3, 2014 at 4:20 AM

hope your skys will be clear..
I think were more clouds n rain here… :(

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Sorry to hear that.

I’m in So.Cal. and nothing but heat and high winds here all week. We are heading out to the desert tomorrow (Joshua Tree National Park) so the stargazing will be great.

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM

I lived n worked in the LA area for 20 some years..
I know JTNP a little..
enjoy Joshua Tree National Park it will be perfect…
lucky you..
got a telescope?

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM

got a telescope?

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Yes we do. One of the guys we are camping with has a great telescope. It should be a lot of fun. First time I’ve been able to get away from the office since last fall.

Where are you living now?

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 4:46 AM

a scope is a nice toy to have..
im in Michigan now..
its still cold n rainy..
we’ve never heard of global warming up this way..
what part of so cal are you in?..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:51 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Cold and rainy here too still.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 5:02 AM

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:51 AM

Southern OC. Weather is usually perfect and amazing. The people are generally very nice.

But politics is a total disaster. CA has open primaries now which means that come November, we have a choice between: 1.) a hardcore Leftist or 2.) a somewhat less hardcore Leftist. Sigh.

What part of Michigan are you in?

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 5:05 AM

morning col..
I trust you rested well..
still raining north of ya…

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Cold and rainy here too still.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 5:02 AM

Good morning. Although I will be saying good night soon. I’m just waiting for my daughter to get home and then I’m hitting the hay.

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 5:05 AM

OC heck that’s the conservative part of so cal..
I lived downtown LBC… 99.95% looney libs..
im 40 some miles north of Detroit now..
or as I like to think of it..
126,284 shot guns north of the city limits..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM

I’ve only been to MI a few times, but I always enjoyed it. When I was in school, my girlfriend at the time was a grad student at UM and I visited her a few times, went to a few UM football games and saw some of the state. Lots of fun.

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 5:20 AM

thatsafactjack on May 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM

laffs..arnt you just a pip…tyvm
you are right .. many ppl are trying to find
the fibers that bind space objects..
what holds it together… or causes it to explode..
the first is more dark matter.. the connecting fibers

the second…what it looks like when it explodes..
“Scientists observed circularly polarized light from gamma-ray burst 121024A, as seen on the day of burst by the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile”

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Lots of fun.

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 5:20 AM

if we could just sell Detroit to Ohio..
we might have a chance in Michigan…
but up here we have tons of water and trees and open space…
and I like that part..
Michigan is a forest north of 16 mile road..
some farms but billions of trees and lakes..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:28 AM

The wayward teenage daughter returns. Good night all!

Captain Kirock on May 3, 2014 at 5:28 AM

sleep well Captain Kirock.. cheers

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:30 AM

im 40 some miles north of Detroit now..
or as I like to think of it..
126,284 shot guns north of the city limits..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM

A lot of people here go to MI. I know someone who has a trailer there but don’t ask me where. My aunt lived in Detroit. Actually it was one of those Grosse Point places. My cousin is in a nursing home now in a place called Lake Orion. Sorry, not my kind of place. Too much trees and water.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 5:35 AM

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 5:35 AM

I graduated from LO High,,, careful now…laffs
its maybe 5-10 miles from here..
want me to drop over and send her your best wishes??
a fruit basket maybe??

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:38 AM

I graduated from LO High,,, careful now…laffs
its maybe 5-10 miles from here..
want me to drop over and send her your best wishes??
a fruit basket maybe??

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 5:38 AM

I haven’t seen her myself in 20 years. I got a Christmas card last year. She’s borderline retarded which made it hard to get her help after her mother died. Her nieces keep an eye on her. I did have to do something years ago. After my aunt died my cousin fell in with some slum nun and the rest of the family had no idea where she was. My mother and another aunt were very worried. Her nieces who actually were in Detroit didn’t know what to do. I always go to the top so I wrote to the Archbishop. No computer in those days. I don’t remember how I got the address. Couple of days later I got a call from my cousin and told her to call her nieces. This nun was keeping her from her family and telling her they didn’t care about her. Unbelievable. I hadn’t thought about this for years.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 6:26 AM

So should I expect a Select committee on the IRS to be forthcoming?

Brock Robamney on May 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM

So should I expect a Select committee on the IRS to be forthcoming?

Brock Robamney on May 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I appreciate humor this early.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Good Morning!

Time for summer vacay! Looks like Biden is the official announcer of such.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama will visit Poland, Belgium and France during a trip to Europe in June.

That’s according to Vice President Joe Biden. He’s announcing Obama’s itinerary during a speech to the Atlantic Council in Washington.

Biden says Obama will visit Poland for the 25th anniversary of the first democratic elections there.

Obama will also travel to Brussels for consultations with the Group of 7 leaders. That meeting was originally scheduled to take place in Sochi, Russia, under the Group of 8 banner, but was scrapped as G-7 leaders sought to isolate Russia for annexing Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula.

Biden says Obama will also travel to France for the June 6 ceremony marking the 70th anniversary of the D-Day invasion of Normandy.

Obama: I need a speech for Normandy.
Speechwriter (protege of Tommy Vietor): Dude, that was like 70 years ago! Nobody is talking about that now!

Brat on May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 5:02 AM

Was 48F this morning and will warm up to 75F and sunshine. Almost mugged a blue-hair this morning to steal her put-put cart, but could not catch up at Home Depot this morning.

Anything I said last night that was nice or funny was me. Anything dumb, rude, or out of place was the pills! The wife got me a 10′ copper Japanese down spout…..looks like 20 or so upside down bells on a chain. Really cool and since we both have lived in Japan, she knew I would like it. Also, copper is for 22 years of jail marriage.

HonestLib on May 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM

got a telescope?

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM

The Night Sky is an interesting app for the smart phone. I think it’s free.

Cleombrotus on May 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM

HonestLib on May 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM

You didn’t say anything crazier than Axe says sometimes. Really you were ok. They have electric carts at some of those big box stores. I’ve seen those copper things on tv. I guess your wife appreciates your sacrifice.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM

After the second time…he started doing those “mercy flights” instead… where he volunteers his time to fly sick people to destinations.

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2014 at 3:12 AM

Did some construction work at the Carter Center long time ago and found Jimmy to be rude. Ended up telling him to buzz off, well it was not that nice. When out west I was a member of Angel Flight West. Different kind of flying and when a sick kid no loner used us….you kind of knew the end result.

HonestLib on May 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Time to hobble around outside looking like I spent too much time in a Turkish bath.

Did OC get his hand fixed? Hope you are on the mend OC and thinking about you and the pain. Well, hope to see you guys tonight and I wish all well. If you need anything, just ask.

HonestLib on May 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM

HonestLib on May 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM

He said he wanted to wait until this morning and go to urgent care. Won’t they end up sending him to emergency anyway?

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

i sure hope not, that is why i waited. going after i finish coffee…

OmahaConservative on May 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

i sure hope not, that is why i waited. going after i finish coffee…

OmahaConservative on May 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Hope the outcome is good.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Maybe we can all chip in and buy a voice-to-type program like “Dragon” for OC — I have a feeling that he’s not going to be two-handed typing anytime soon.

We’re going to have to assign someone to make the call for loons, goons, and all that for tonight’s QOTD. I might do that if I’m around.

Alien on May 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Happy Saturday, Patriots! And, Trolls.

The trouble with unemployment is that the minute you wake up in the morning, you’re on the job.

– Slappy White

My take: 6.3% Unemployment Rate Vs. Reality: Reality wins.

kingsjester on May 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 6:26 AM

sounds like a fruit basket for your cousin..
and a basket of rotten tomatoes for the nun to me…
I hope things are better for your cousin now..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 6:26 AM

sounds like a fruit basket for your cousin..
and a basket of rotten tomatoes for the nun to me…
I hope things are better for your cousin now..

going2mars on May 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM

She’s fine. She’s older than me and getting SS and who knows what else. The sad thing is though her father came from a rich family. They had a nanny and 4 other servants. The family lived in Cleveland but my aunt and uncle had to move to Detroit because his father was a pig. He attacked my aunt. So muh for boring family history.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Been having fun playing with SIRI on my new iPad Air .. LOL.

“When is the Kentucky Derby?’” BLAM ! Time, TV schedule, etc.

“Who is favored to win the Kentucky Derby ?” ‘Sorry, I don’t know much about horse racing.’

LOLOLOLOL.

And so far, dictation into this text box has worked out great. (option on the iPad keyboard).
Do you have anything like that to use, OC?
Sure hope it’s nothing major.

pambi on May 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Do you have anything like that to use, OC?
Sure hope it’s nothing major.

pambi on May 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I know somebody who has a Dragon but you kind of have to be able to see what buttons to push and so on so her results are uneven, shall we say.

crankyoldlady on May 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM

it isn’t broken, just badly bruised…

OmahaConservative on May 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM

pambi on May 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

nope, i will just type one handed for a while…

OmahaConservative on May 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM