Jake Tapper: Let’s face it, Carney’s Benghazi “dissembling” is insulting; Update: Boehner to appoint select committee

posted at 11:21 am on May 2, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Hugh Hewitt Show, he means “lying,” I think, but I’ll let the man choose his own words. He doesn’t say which comments specifically he finds insulting but it’s probably the one where Carney tried to convince everyone that Ben Rhodes was merely linking the Mohammed video to the protests around the region, not … the murder of a U.S. ambassador that had been on the front page of every newspaper in America for three days. That’s also, I take it, why Hewitt’s crowning Carney the worst press secretary of the last 40 years or so. Why even take questions from the press if you’re going to spin them this feebly?

So lame and insulting has it been, in fact, that Carney may have finally forced Boehner to act.

House Speaker John Boehner is “seriously considering” appointing a select committee to investigate the attacks on the U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, according to a senior GOP leadership aide. The move comes after the revelation of an email from a top Obama national security official, Ben Rhodes, instructing Susan Rice to focus on an anti-Muslim internet video to explain the attacks.

“The new emails this week were the straw that broke the camel’s back,” says the aide. “The Speaker was furious to learn that the admininstration withheld relevant documents from a congressional subpoena. He’s sick and tired of this evasion and obstruction from the administration, and wants a solution to finally force accountability, get to the truth, and provide justice.”…

The details of the exact structure of the special committee are still under discussion, but a source tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD that Rep. Trey Gowdy, a lawmaker with a reputation for tough questioning of administration witnesses, is under consideration to chair it. Gowdy has participated in meetings of an ad hoc committee of House members from various committees of jurisdiction who have met informally to compare notes and shape strategy on the Benghazi investigations.

Withholding Rhodes’s e-mail is the casus belli for the select committee but Carney’s performance is what really made it catch fire in conservative media and put pressure on Boehner. I wonder which way this cuts politically, though. Until now, Boehner’s held back on appointing a committee because he thought there wasn’t much left to uncover and because he thought that revisiting the subject at this point wouldn’t do much to excite conservatives before November. Rhodes’s e-mail is the spark to the tinder; maybe there’s some extra motivation to be had here after all. Plus, the broader political landscape has changed a bit for the GOP. ObamaCare isn’t quite the panacea for Republicans that it was back in October, when the website was melting down, and if Boehner’s serious about a big amnesty push this summer, he’ll want to do something that pleases grassroots conservatives to contain the damage. New Benghazi hearings could be it.

Update: And there it is.

“Americans learned this week that the Obama Administration is so intent on obstructing the truth about Benghazi that it is even willing to defy subpoenas issued by the standing committees of the People’s House. These revelations compel the House to take every possible action to ensure the American people have the truth about the terrorist attack on our consulate that killed four of our countrymen. In light of these new developments, the House will vote to establish a new select committee to investigate the attack, provide the necessary accountability, and ensure justice is finally served.

“The administration’s withholding of documents – emails showing greater White House involvement in misleading the American people – is a flagrant violation of trust and undermines the basic principles of oversight upon which our system of government is built. And it forces us to ask the question, what else about Benghazi is the Obama administration still hiding from the American people?

“The House committees that have been investigating this attack have done extraordinary work, using their subpoena power, holding dozens of hearings, and conducting hundreds of interviews. Without this work we would not know much that we do today. But it’s clear that questions remain, and the administration still does not respect the authority of Congress to provide proper oversight. This dismissiveness and evasion requires us to elevate the investigation to a new level. I intend for this select committee to have robust authority, and I will expect it to work quickly to get answers for the American people and the families of the victims.

“Four Americans died at the hands of terrorists nearly 20 months ago, and we are still missing answers, accountability, and justice. It’s time that change.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ll tell you what you lowlife traitor. Why don’t you, Ed and Allah have a big buttf*ck orgy and then move to Saudi Arabia and show them your cute videos.

You lowlife piece of garbage. Go hang out at a Hillary fan site.

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

While it may be futile to tell an insane troll that he’s the one offering up delusional complaining and thus would be the one best suited to move to a move on to a site more suited for him, the least I can do is steer him to the right place.

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM

whatcull

Go find a rolling donut and take a flying sex attempt with it.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on May 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Having given some further thought to the issue, the only reason I can think of (beyond outright corruption) for Boehner’s reluctance until now to go to the mat with Obama is that he has just been afraid to fight the first black president.

Boehner’s terrified of being portrayed as a racist. Only now has he decided that the people are determined enough to find out what happened in Benghazi that he is willing to risk it.

If this is the case, he’s even more worthless than I thought he was, and I thought he was virtually useless, if not a source of problems himself, in the first place.

novaculus on May 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

antisense on May 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM

*sigh*

ladyingray on May 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM

But, but, but – ‘Dude…That Was Two Years Ago’!

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for that recommendation. I’m sure you make the same one for the 1.5 or whatever billion Muslims who think that a 7th Century mass murdering pedophile is god.

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You lowlife piece of garbage. Go hang out at a Hillary fan site.

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Is this guy still a member in good standing? The things you can get away with these days.

astonerii on May 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You’re welcome.
I’m just glad you didn’t expose Ed, AP and myself for being behind the fake Moon landing conspiracy, too! Carry on, you’re quite the sleuth, you are.

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I just tell that type to carry on, then I stand back & watch as they make their noose.

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on May 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Right on. My brother was in Vietnam. You survived it. Good for you.

crankyoldlady on May 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM

What the hell are you talking about? All I said is that you, Ed, Allah, Tapper, Carney, and all the rest of the fake Conservatives are all obfuscating the realities of Islam. How is that a “conspiracy”? It’s a statement of fact.

HA is a soft Conservative site. (The main posters I mean, not the commenters.)

I don’t know if Ed or Allah’s bosses forbid them from telling the truth or if it is just some personal frailty on their parts, but the reality is that they, just like Tapper and all the rest, are not telling the truth.

I’ll give AP credit for this: at least he uses the term ‘jihadist.’ It’s a sad day when that’s a sign of balls. Ed doesn’t go near this. The guy is Ned Flanders on Islam.

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Jay will be glad when he is either benched, or sent home.

Amazingoly on May 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Watergate took almost two years to happen. Just sayin.

Johnnyreb on May 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Cuomo and/or Elizabeth Warren better get their PR machine in high gear to polish their credentials :)…Hillary is old (and bad) news and so passé…

jimver on May 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I don’t know if Ed or Allah’s bosses forbid them from telling the truth
WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

All of us who are in on the vast conspiracy – Me, Ad, AP,Tapper, et al – to take over the world are forbidden to tell the truth to lesser mortals. We only communicate about what’s really up to one another by using our secret decoder rings. (Bigfoot and Elvis, our co-conspirators in world domination, use flag semaphore to discuss our secret plans.) You’re better off not knowing and having to carry the heavy burden of the knowledge of our plot.

17*3*20

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Bonehead appears to be doing everything in his power to ensure that it does not come out until after Barky O’Barkbark is safely out of office.

oscarwilde on May 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM

It’s the nakked pictures, I tell ya.

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I don’t know if Ed or Allah’s bosses forbid them from telling the truth
WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

….. I’ve been reading your posts……did something get into your Post Toasties this morning?

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM
My grandmother referred to them as Post Toasties. Takes me back to when I was a little kid. Just sayin’

txmomof6 on May 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Gowdy is a great choice. If crimes were committed, he’ll get to the bottom of it. Everyone, left and right, should be happy that the truth will finally come out.

LASue

Let’s just hope Gowdy doesn’t take this opportunity to try and sneak a stealth amnesty plan through again.

xblade on May 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM

txmomof6 on May 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Gowdy just said on Greta he doesn’t know if he will even be on the Select Committee, let alone chair it.

Gowdy is obviously the best choice, but we see how many tools with longer seniority want to hog the spotlight.

novaculus on May 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Okay, it’s time for the Democrats to hate on Trey Gowdy and this committee.

oldennis on May 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I think that “Dude” Vietor should appear before the committee and be put under oath.

oldennis on May 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM

txmomof6 on May 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I’ve always called them Post Toasties and I resent the implication that makes me a geezer! No, wait – I guess it does make me a geezer – nevermind….

(Now I’m jonesin for some penny candy.)

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

oldennis on May 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM

On the other hand it’s good to see that Peewee Herman has a real job.

slickwillie2001 on May 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Notice the date of comments on the bottom. One “even” remembers ads on the Andy Griffith Show. Another wants his children to have “memories” of this cereal like he does.

It’s not just geezer’s making comments. :)

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM

It’s not just geezer’s making comments. :)

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I remember it as one of the more popular cereals back in the day – it seems it was discontinued in 2008 but re-introduced in early 2010, according to Wikipedia.
Also from Wiki – “Post Toasties were previously called Elijah’s Manna (c. 1904) until an angry clergymen protested the name; its name was changed in 1908″. Heh.

I preferred CoCo Puffs, Frosted Flakes or Lucky Charns. Cap’n Crunch’d taste reminded me of flavored medicine, yuk.

whatcat on May 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM

‘Better late then never’ …this is good news, never too late to do thing right thing!

wolf_2001 on May 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Okay, it’s time for the Democrats to hate on Trey Gowdy and this committee.

oldennis on May 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I’m kinda hoping that Joe Wilson gets selected to be a member too. That would make Democrat heads explode. I’d love to watch him yell “You lie!” at John Kerry and/or Hillary while they’re under oath and then prove it.

Oldnuke on May 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Did I hear that no order to stand down was never issued? At one point that was being touted and I’m not hear anything about that now. It seems to me that going to bed while our consulate was engaged in a fire fight amounts to the same thing. What a POS we’ve got running our show. I dream of the day he’s dragged out of the WH in hand cuffs, wearing a hoodie to the sound of “Bad Boys, Bad Boys”.
Kat_man on May 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I often dream about one of those Law & Order type plot twists where as President Cruz finishing up the oath of office, and as the applause begins, he turns to Zero and says, “Barack HUSSEIN Obama, you are under arrest for…”

Nutstuyu on May 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM

ROFL.

HopeHeFails on May 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Just hope the select committee on Benghazi happens and someone questions why the State Dept. and POTUS left three dozen American’s and others there to die. Very brave individuals saved many people without the help of the POTUS. Makes me sick.

MAX66IL on May 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Gowdy is a good man for the job. I believe he will be more able to get information than Issa who seems to be wussified in getting after the truth.

koolbob on May 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Focusing on the facts, not the “truth” will bring Trey success. The “truth” that the white house has served up is detrimental at its core. The culture that the president has allowed to exist within the walls of our government perpetuates the rest of the junk that has happened; IRS, NSA, DOL, DHS, DOJ, BLM, etc. It is sad that to get the facts on our own government intimidating and killing our own comes at a price of two years without answers. Now, finally, this obvious mistake of not purging this email can unhinge the lies. Trey, if you can hear me, seek the truth and put a shining light on it.

Molonlabe2004 on May 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Other known facts:

1. The two party evil money cult works behind our backs.

2. They use “bright shinney objects” in the msm to distract U.S..

3. Not one person of the goverment got in trouble over the Bush or Obama gun running into Mexico.

4. Very possible that both Bush and Obama have been and still are gun running into the middle east with little understanding of where the guns and other things of death will end up.

5. Obama and Clintons would not be in big time cover up on Bengazie unless there was some big ass screw up there. The fact they did not have real security seems not to be the reason, they could lie out of that or point fingers at one another.
Something stinks much more than is known and it may well be both sides are in trouble if the real facts come out. Big question is where all the operators at the CIA annex are and why they have not said much, that is a tell of the deal. Both sides at the leadership level show signs of ass covering.

6. They may in fact use this for a distraction and keep it up in front of U.S. and late at night pass and have Obama sign off on an amnesty while we are on this bright shinney object.

7. Where are the terrorist who did the killing this very hour?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on May 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Carney: The face of a weasel, who cannot comprehend what is before him.

Another Drew on May 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM