Happy “Loyalty Day,” America

posted at 6:31 pm on May 1, 2014 by Allahpundit

After goofing on dopey low-information voters for not knowing who the vice president is, I feel duty bound to confess my own ignorance of civics: Until this very day, when Obama’s proclamation started making the rounds on social idea, I had no idea that “Loyalty Day” was a thing in America. Not only is it, it’s been around for nearly 100 years in various forms. It’s in the U.S. Code and everything, having been inserted there in the late 50s apparently as a nudge to closet commies on May Day during the Red Scare.

It’s a bit unclear to what, exactly, we’re pledging loyalty. To the Constitution? I thought that was what Constitution Day is for. To America itself? I guess you can celebrate independence from the UK on July 4th without feeling loyalty to the U.S., but for most people the latter’s implied by the former. To democracy? There’s no Democracy Day — although one has been proposed, and the UN already encourages member states to celebrate it on September 15th.

Whatever the answer, be sure to irritate all of your libertarian friends by wishing them a “Happy Loyalty Day.” Happy Loyalty Day, Sen. Paul!

In the United States of America, we do not define loyalty as adherence to any single leader, party, or political platform. When we make big decisions as a country, we necessarily stir up passions and controversy. These debates are a hallmark of democracy; they allow us to trade ideas, question antiquated notions, and ensure our Nation’s course reflects the will of the American people. Yet even as we disagree, we remain true to our shared values and our common hopes for America’s future.

On Loyalty Day, we renew our conviction to the principles of liberty, equality, and justice under the law. We accept our responsibilities to one another. And we remember that our differences pale in comparison to the strength of the bonds that hold together the most diverse Nation on earth.

In order to recognize the American spirit of loyalty and the sacrifices that so many have made for our Nation, the Congress, by Public Law 85-529 as amended, has designated May 1 of each year as “Loyalty Day.” On this day, let us reaffirm our allegiance to the United States of America and pay tribute to the heritage of American freedom.

That’s from O’s proclamation, which encourages people to celebrate by displaying the flag or saying the pledge of allegiance. I’m going to celebrate by opening a beer and having a laugh at what Bin Laden’s last few moments of terror must have been like three years ago today. Loyalty Day is Dead Bin Laden Day!

And now, in honor of the occasion, a stroll down memory lane. Will you take the pledge, my friends?

Comments

I pledge to fight this administration and it’s legacy of disastrous policies until I have a country I can be proud of to be loyal to again.

Skywise on May 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Dude! Tommy Vieter is one loyal dude…#truebeliever

d1carter on May 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I question the LOYALTY of our nation’s disgraceful and traitorous 5th column.

So does Trey Gowdy. Heh!

Harbingeing on May 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I prefer Victims of Communism Day

rbj on May 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Dissent is the highest form of loyalty, or something.

notropis on May 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

portlandon on May 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Obama and patriotism? Don’t make me laugh.

Obama urges every one to “pitch in.” For what? Leaving that aside, foodstamp enrollment and disability numbers have soared. Is that pitching in?

BuckeyeSam on May 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Every time Obama makes that face, a small endangered rainforest dwelling animal dies.

portlandon on May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It’s a bit unclear to what, exactly, we’re pledging loyalty.

to Hussein’s magnificent munificence donchano ?

burrata on May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Speaking of pledges, what happened to that Moore and Kutcher pledge?

BuckeyeSam on May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Liberals will never pledge loyalty to the constitution. Never. Scum like this work actively to undermine it. O’commie’s “loyalty day” is simply a push to get all the brown shirts to show themselves in hopes of making patriots think they are outnumbered.

Truth is, the brown shirts are outnumbered….and outgunned.

Let the war begin.

Diluculo on May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I pledge allegiance to a country that Moochelle Obama would not be proud of.

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

d1carter on May 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Sorry, that is Tommy Vietor….dude!

d1carter on May 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Raising both eyebrows with suspicion, I’m not about to pledge to anything Obama asks me to do so until I understand what and why he wants it.

What an odd and weird name. For a day protesting Communism, it has a name that sounds like it’s celebrating Communism. I’ve never heard of it before.

Why is Obama being the first president to ever mention it (that I know of)? And why now? Trying to deflect criticism or cover up his fascist ideals? Trying to find a reason to celebrate May Day without showing his hand?

Wrapped In A Flag: Transfer as Propaganda. From The Institute for Propaganda Analysis:

Propaganda Tricks of the Trade
#3: Transfer

Transfer carries the authority, sanction, and prestige of something respected and revered over to something else in order to make the latter acceptable.

INC on May 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM

In case any of you racists didn’t know that today was about him.

rogerb on May 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Truth is, the brown shirts are outnumbered….and outgunned.

Let the war begin.

Diluculo on May 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM

The truth is the Regime is outgunned, even if they include every sewn-on-badge swat team, even if the military remained “his” (which they aren’t) by citizens.

I’d imagine that fact keeps some in the Beltway awake at night. As it should.

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Like Allahpundit, I had no idea that such a thing as ‘Loyalty Day’ existed in this nation. No one’s ever mentioned it before, to the best of my knowledge, in my lifetime.

Until… now.

Since Obama is the president of the United States, for another 900 plus days, when we pledge our loyalty to this nation, by extension, we’re pledging it to him, as long as he is president. I guess that’s as close as he can get to that dizzying height of adoration he once enjoyed as “The One” and “the messiah”.

Come to think of it…no one calls him that anymore. I wonder why?

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM

In case any of you racists didn’t know that today was about him.

rogerb on May 1, 2014 at 6:45 PM

RAAAAACIST!!!, every day is Obamaday!

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Come to think of it…no one calls him that anymore. I wonder why?

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM

My loyalty is to the Republic. Not the lawless Regime and it’s half-black foreign educated figurehead.

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Whoever picked May Day must be kicking themselves now that Cinco De Mayo is a more appropriate date.

Decaf on May 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Loyalty is sort of a nasty word when used in politics, because it seems far too personalized for the context and reeks of tyrants to me. I suppose because I think of the phrase “blind loyalty.”

INC on May 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Obama and patriotism? Don’t make me laugh.

BuckeyeSam on May 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I pitch in plenty via taxes, thank you very much. Neither Obama has ever had to break a sweat in their lives.

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM

No thanks, you corrupt excuse for man. I hold no loyalty to you or the fascist regime your are currently tyrannizing a good people with. GFY.

I’ll take Red Skelton’s Pledge of Allegiance instead.

Harbingeing on May 1, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Decaf on May 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM

What about “Cinco De Quatro?”

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I’ll take Red Skelton’s Pledge of Allegiance instead.

Harbingeing on May 1, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Obama thinks “under God” is referring to him.

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Charles A. Fleming evaluates Transfer in terms of the discipline of General Semantics.

Obviously, here we’re talking about the propagandist and the organization are Obama and his purposes.

Transfer. The “transfer” device carries positive qualities of someone or something over to whatever the propagandist is promoting. For example, using the American flag as part of an organization’s [Obama's] logo would tend to transfer positive attitudes toward the flag to the organization [Obama].

A General Semantics Interpretation

Non-identity. The two things (flag and organization [Obama]) are not the same, but the propagandist wants the audience to see them as similar. The propagandist wants feelings toward one transferred to the other because of the connection the propagandist has made.

Non-allness. The flag as part of the logo is not all there is to know about the organization [Obama]. The propagandist wants the audience to take the flag’s presence as sufficient evidence of the organization’s [Obama's] worth, and not seek more information.

Self-reflexiveness. The propagandist hopes the audience will respond to the apparent connection between the flag and the organization [Obama], and not examine the non-verbal facts to see if the organization [Obama] deserves approval. But this connection (the basis for transfer) is an abstraction of all there is to know about the organization [Obama].

[This next one really doesn't apply to Obama.]
Probability principle. Even if at one time there was a reason for connecting the flag to the organization [Obama], it is not necessarily so now. The propagandist wants the audience to assume whatever basis there might have been for a connection between the two, continues.

Symbol-signal reaction. The propagandist wants people to react automatically to the flag-organization [Obama] connection and not to the non-verbal facts about what the organization [Obama] does, or whether it deserves to be associated with the flag.

Extensionalization. The propagandist doesn’t want the audience to question whether the relationship has any basis in fact or ask if the organization [Obama] deserves the same feelings people have toward the flag.

INC on May 1, 2014 at 6:56 PM

…the politburo press…salutes you!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM

On the upcoming Obama playing cards..

That pic will be the joker….

Electrongod on May 1, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Dude! Tommy Vieter is one loyal dude…#truebeliever

d1carter on May 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I’m a little disappointed that Baier said it back to him, though I think I need to see it a time or to more to see whether Baier was being facetious. All the same, WTF? I’m very disappointed that neither Will nor Dr. K bothered to ream that 16-year-old. Seriously, does that kid have his temps? Countries overseas must be howling that Obama can’t find anyone other than a junior in high school who volunteered to skip the monthly meeting of his high school’s chapter of Junior Council on World Affairs to appear on Special Report.

BuckeyeSam on May 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Loyalty Day now comes as a friendly reminder card from the IRS: “Don’t forget to be loyal, citizen!”

Bishop on May 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Now, bow to Jesus obama.

Tribute to obama, who thinks he’s Jesus or the Pope.

In reality he is a thin-skinned narcissistic 1%r, who preaches against producers, while using looters, to fool the moochers.

He can go directly to Hell.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM

This chick earned every penny she was paid, and then some.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I think there is a Loyalty Day but it’s only in a couple of states and I’m too lazy to look it up.

crankyoldlady on May 1, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Pledge? is that like an oath? Like say, maybe, kind of like, sort of, “I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

I will if you will, Barry…

trubble on May 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM

INC on May 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Because it is the tyrant who most often demands an oath of ‘loyalty’. You’re right. It is personal and it personalized the focus of the pledge.

In this nation we are asked to pledge allegiance and that pledge is ‘to the flag of the United State of America’ and ‘to the republic for which it stands’. It is not personalized.

This is the oath of enlistment (of the Armed Forces …except the National Guard, which names the individual state) :

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Again, the distinction is made between ‘the Constitution of the United States’ , to which one swears ‘true faith and allegiance’, and the President of the United States, and the officers appointed over me, of which on swears only to obey orders.

Distinctly, and purposefully, not swearing allegiance or loyalty to any person or group of individuals, only to obey orders given by superior officers, duly appointed ( and in the case of the President, elected.)

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Don’t tell us, show us your loyalty and apologize to the families of the 4 dead Americans who died in Benghazi that you did nothing to help and covered up your incompetence.

And while you are at it apologize to Americans then you and your entire administration including crazy Uncle Joe step down.

Jayrae on May 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Decaf on May 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM

With this administration, I’d say the most appropriate date is about month past. The first of April.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM

It’s a bit unclear to what, exactly, we’re pledging loyalty.

On May 1, while they’re holding rallies on Red Square in Moscow, to Flexible Vladimir Putin.

Next Monday, when we take down our flags at high schools, we’ll pledge loyalty to May-hee-co for Cinco de Mayo.

Both of these are rather equivalent to pledging loyalty to Obama.

Steve Z on May 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM

“Meine ehre heißt treue.”

PersonFromPorlock on May 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM

An Obama proclamation.

About as interesting as a Colbert segment.

BobMbx on May 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Speaking of loyalty, apparently Scott Brown supports Obamacare now. But he’s the best we can do in NH or something, so it’s okay.

xblade on May 1, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Did he mention a need to issue any waivers?

BobMbx on May 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Decaf on May 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Heh.

Let’s face it: Obama only did this because he thought it was a Royalty Oath …

ShainS on May 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I’m loyale to the constitution and the republic Obama the wannabe dictator who is incomptante and inept hell no..the office yeah the person in charge no…

sorrowen on May 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Did he mention a need to issue any waivers?

BobMbx

I don’t know. He’ll probably have to consult with Obama first.

xblade on May 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM

44m ago
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe: 3 cars fell into James River in Lynchburg, Va., train derailment, spilling an estimated 20,000-25,000 gallons of oil – @GovernorVA

More: Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe says officials expect impact of oil spill in James River to be minimal – @GovernorVA

If the Governor were a republican…

20,000 gallon spill of oil into a river is not “small”, and hopefully the impact will be minimal. I bet The Punk catches a big break from the EAP and other regulatory bodies.

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Hmmmmm….the equivalent amount of pollution produced on a single Air Force 1 flight to Martha’s Vineyard.

BobMbx on May 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM

This chick earned every penny she was paid, and then some.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Aw, yeah babe.

Das Vadanya, Comrade White Privilege.

Loyalty – Only to the Constitution, and the classical liberal principles for which it stands.

Chuck Ef on May 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Interesting decision by Obama to proclaim a lost, ambiguous “loyalty day” and forget that today is also the Christian “National Day of Prayer“.

Now I’m not saying he’s a follower of the moon god Allah or a follower of Satan (The Father of LIES)… but… well… ok, he does LIE a lot, and make fun of Christians… hmmmm…

dominigan on May 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

So here’s my problem with “Loyalty Day” on May 1st: It’s on May 1st. If we redefine all those concepts we’re supposed to be loyal to, with newspeak, then “we” have become “them.” It was NEVER a good idea during the Cold War, and it certainly isn’t now. Really, really creepy.

It’s like a Rod Serling script.

RockinRickOwen on May 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

INC on May 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Apparently, the proclamation is among those things that Presidents do just because the other ones did. You know, the sort of thing your mother always chided you about: “Would you jump off a cliff just because everybody else did?”
From the indispensable Wikipedia:

The holiday was first observed in 1921, during the First Red Scare.[2] It was originally called “Americanization Day,”[3] and it was intended to replace the May 1 (“May Day”) celebration of the International Workers’ Day,[citation needed] which commemorates the 1886 Haymarket Massacre in Chicago.)[4]

During the Second Red Scare, it was made an official holiday by the U.S. Congress on July 18, 1958 (Public Law 85-529).[5][6] Following the passage of this law, President Dwight D. Eisenhower proclaimed May 1, 1959, the first official observance of Loyalty Day. [7] With the exception of Eisenhower in 1959 and 1960, Loyalty Day has been recognized with an official proclamation every year by every president since its inception as a legal holiday in 1958.[8][9]

But this is why we’ve never heard of it before:

Although a legal holiday, it is not a federal holiday, and is not commonly observed.[citation needed]

If a holiday falls in the forest where no one is listening, does it make a sound?

AesopFan on May 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

What about “Cinco De Quatro?”

ConstantineXI on May 1, 2014 at 6:52 PM

That’s Star Wars Day, Constantine–May the Fourth be with you…

Word.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Obama loves this country like my cat love his litter box.

jaywemm on May 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a lot

Gal_Spunes on May 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I am loyal to my country.

It’s why I oppose my president.

BKennedy on May 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Loyalty Day sounds very Orwellian to me.

Conservchik on May 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Odd that this falls on May Day. I think I’ll skip the festivities–the U.S. government is run by traitors and rogues and no longer represents me.

zoyclem on May 2, 2014 at 7:34 AM