Feelgood video of the year: The junkyard dog

posted at 5:41 pm on May 1, 2014 by Allahpundit

I was going to write a post about how Jeb Bush, alleged Republican savior, is nearly 10 points behind Hillary Clinton in a state he governed for eight years, where his name recognition is sky high. But why bother with that? There’ll be plenty of time for tears and recriminations in November 2016. We should pace ourselves. Besides, now that he’s landed the endorsement of the last person in the world whose endorsement he wants, Jeb’s having a tough enough day as it is.

So instead, to cleanse the palate, here’s the feelgood video of the year. Unfortunately, the year in question is 2013; the clip”s more than four months old, but thanks to Lachlan Markay and Ace, I’m seeing it today for the first time. And now, after watching it, I think I speak for all of us in saying I need to go out right this minute and adopt 800 puppies. If you’ll excuse me.

Comments

Dog #1 was born with three legs, came from a rescue shelter
Dog #2 came from the dog pound.

Best thing as older dogs — they had already been house trained.

rbj on May 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Thank you.

V7_Sport on May 1, 2014 at 5:53 PM

It never gets old.

LeftCoastRight on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I’m not against private citizens saving destitute, homeless dogs & cats, but I can’t get the “feel good” sensation over this that most people do.
There’s too many of my fellow Americans who would give anything to help animals, and hardly give the time of day to help people.

listens2glenn on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

thanks Allah!

I appreciate not reading about Jeb Bush.

I am a sucker for these vids. :)

CoffeeLover on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

My family and I recently adopted a dog from the humane society. She had a limp, so we checked it out. She had a bone that was broken so badly it had healed side-on-side instead of end on end. She was young and she hopped around on 3 legs if she exerted herself too much. But the kids loved her, so I dropped $2500 to get her leg repaired.

Most expensive free dog I’ve ever bought.

Nethicus on May 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for the “good” cry, AP.

Brat on May 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Yeah, I saw it months ago, but it’s still a great way to make a room get all dusty.

TC@LeatherPenguin on May 1, 2014 at 5:57 PM

… and thanks for posting the video.

V7_Sport on May 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM

That was difficult to watch, initially. Any dog that tame was once somebody’s pet. Very sad that Miley had obviously been abandoned. I’ve read enough about people abandoning their pets due to their own worsening financial crises. Good for Miley so far, and hope that she never is returned to such a sad state.

majorzot on May 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Just beautiful. Thanks for the post!!!!

rcv77 on May 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Aw.

BKeyser on May 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Man I’ma bawling mess now. Quickest way to make this grown man cry is to show me animals in need of loving homes.

Defenestratus on May 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Awwwww, wish I could adopt Frankie, thanks for showing this…

(looks around for a tissue) My eyes are wet now…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Notice that no selfish, stoopid cats helped out.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 1, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I know this video is racist, I just don’t know how :O
Meanwhile, I’ll go watch Hachi and cry my eyes out again, while you kids make sure Hussein doesn’t get to see this video , it might make him hungry .

burrata on May 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Most expensive free dog I’ve ever bought.

Nethicus on May 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Well done.

rbj on May 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I have been following this story for months…..and there is a happy ending!

Miley’s new owner has a FB page for her, where you will find the 5 minute video about her transformation. You will be amazed.

Or go directly to the link below:

butterflylady on May 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Anybody know anything about this charity? I searched and could find nothing.

Viator on May 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Thanks for that.

I much prefer Miley and friends to more Jeb Bush.

David Blue on May 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

OT: Brett Baier is interviewing a 16-year-old on Special Report about Benghazi.

BuckeyeSam on May 1, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Dusty room, very dusty room.

talking_mouse on May 1, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Or go directly to the link below:

butterflylady on May 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Cute Doge.

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Notice that no selfish, stoopid cats helped out.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 1, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I got a selfish, stoopid human, so don’t get all High & Mighty there, Buddy.

nonpartisans tabbycat on May 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I’d like to see some video of that hater racist Dobson going off on the DOTUS!

I bet Dobby won’t be back to the prayer breakfast.

Owwwwwwww woooof woooof.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM

The rest of the story?

Viator on May 1, 2014 at 6:22 PM

You’d think a misanthrope like AP would already know that.

the_nile on May 1, 2014 at 6:28 PM

The video is better on mute…seriously, to whoever makes videos like this, we really don’t need the uplifting crappy music playing throughout it.

But good story and hopefully it does some good.

nextgen_repub on May 1, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Is the rescue on the left column or the right column?

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I need to go out right this minute and adopt 800 puppies. If you’ll excuse me.

Excellent video
… and one that hits home.

Laying behind me are two dogs. The female was adopted from our SPCA 12 years ago as a puppy. She is my wife’s dog and has followed her from room to room every minute since she was first brought home.

The male is a 10 years old but has only been with us for 8 years.

We live out in the country. Someone, for whatever reason, abandoned him out here. It took 3 weeks of patient encouragement to get him trust us and to come to be collared. As difficult as it was – we took him to the SPCA with a “Will adopt if not claimed by owner”.

Fortunately for us, no one did. He was amazingly loving from the get go (though he had been neutered while there) and even more surprising, “fitted” himself in with our three female dogs.

When we took him to our vet, he weighed 55 pounds. She pointed out he should weigh 20 pounds more than that and that he had been malnourished for what she estimated to be the first 2 years of his life.

Eight years later, he weighs 80 pounds and has been a “nursemaid” for my wife, my daughter and myself before/after surgeries we have had over that period of time. I have never met a more loving or empathic animal in my entire life.

Moral of the story: Please; first, last, always ADOPT an animal from an SPCA, rescue organization or shelter. We have too many “Miley’s” in this world and they deserve better from us.

Our personal checks are embossed with SPCA backgrounds and we pay a little more for them for the pass thru to the national SPCA that occurs every time we order.

PolAgnostic on May 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The rest of the story?

Viator on May 1, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Facebook sez otherwise…

roy_batty on May 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Made me think of Harry Reid

xdwall on May 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Since too many of those people who need help feel it’s the government’s responsibility to help them, and as such vote for anyone with a “D” next to their name, who are we to interfere?

nonpartisans tabbycat on May 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I wanted a purebred dog and my wife wanted to go to the pound.

We settled on rescuing greyhounds.

Best thing we ever did. Fantastic dogs. Gentle. Laid back. 40 mph couch potatoes.

We now have 6…plus two mutts (one of which my wife rescued on a trip to Namibia!)

I can’t imagine not having a dog in my life. They’re the best!

NavyMustang on May 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Does this vid start with “In the arms of an angel” song and end with “Suddenly I see”?

Bishop on May 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Dog videos like that always make me tear up….
I am glad she is doing well…..
Our 6 year birthday for our PitBull Mix “Lily” is coming up.
We found her and 2 sisters roaming in the country near my
parents house on Mothers’s Day 2008.
We kept her and had the vet give her the once over.
The other 2 we took to the pound.
We already had one dog and 4 cats…..
Time for a doggie walk.

redguy on May 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM

But yeah, dogs are the best. My herd is past the stage of keeping track of the total, I just whistle and this ‘World War Z’ type horde comes barreling around the corner.

Bishop on May 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Facebook sez otherwise…

roy_batty on May 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I don’t know. When I saw those videos on YouTube, the number of visitors, the heart rending audio, and the many appeals for money my alarm bells went off. I could not find any rating of that charity anywhere on the web and there are many sites that rate charities.

Response for heart rending videos like those might be 5% X 15,000,000 X say $5. That’s 3.75 million dollars.

I’m still skeptical.

Viator on May 1, 2014 at 7:13 PM

After losing two dogs to cancer we started providing money and support to a local Aussie rescue. One day my wife decided it was time to get another dog so we took in a senior rescue who’d been found on the streets.. and he is a joy.

My two hot issues are kids and animals.. neither choses their parent nor care giver and it’s incumbent for those of more fortunate than others to assist.

My company has two missions, grow by inventing great products and give to those truly in need, specifically those who can’t help themselves

theblacksheepwasright on May 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I need to go out right this minute and adopt 800 puppies. If you’ll excuse me.

Why not just get 800 people to adopt? Tweety.

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Some people need a botched execution. And I for one would be happy to push the plunger.

ultracon on May 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Reminds me of my borzoi and her BFF at daycare, a french bulldog named Lucy.

KirknBurker on May 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Saw too much shooting in my military years and got soft at heart.My back yard is wooded that runs about a mile back.I feed everything that lives in those woods every evening.I put out corn,scraps,salt licks,etc.etc.The bird bath ended up in 10 pieces the night of the red moon.We’re not sure what took it out so we bought a metal one.The rabbits eat out of our hands until the hawks or coyotes get them.

docflash on May 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Sweet Allah!

Thanks AP. You made my day. You really did.

So much scum out there – refreshing.

Chuck Ef on May 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Helping an animal like the one in the video shows that humans are capable of caring for creatures that are innocent in nature and “lesser” than humans. Abusing animals like some do shows that humans still have a long way to go in the civilization game. Its about caring for a creature that in most cases is totally dependent on you as a human. I have four dogs. 2 from the animal shelter and 2 I found on the street.

Your handle is “listens2glenn”… a man who has conned his way to millions of dollars.

JQA on May 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Dog videos like that always make me tear up….
I am glad she is doing well…..
Our 6 year birthday for our PitBull Mix “Lily” is coming up.
We found her and 2 sisters roaming in the country near my
parents house on Mothers’s Day 2008.
We kept her and had the vet give her the once over.
The other 2 we took to the pound.
We already had one dog and 4 cats…..
Time for a doggie walk.

redguy on May 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM

also found a pitbull mix. named her “mandy.”

JQA on May 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I’ll take it. It doesn’t make up for the brutal killings in Benghazi, or the callous response to itfrom our government, or babies being aborted, or all the children who have to grow up without a father or mother.

But I’ll take it. There’s too much suffering in this world, and a lot of it is caused by pure selfishness. It’s good to get a reminder of the other side now and then.

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Not so. We help both: Salvation Army, Red Cross, Meals on Wheels to name a few that get monthly donations. I personally gave $500 at XMAS to the SA besides the monthly stuff.
I also give monthly to our local horse rescue: http://gypsyhearthorserescue.net/

And……have 3 rescue dogs, 3 elderly cats that have adopted us when their owner left them (and who have improve in their health since I’ve taken care of them),2 kittens dumped in the country in the midst of sub-zero weather with no food/water/shelter for 4 days, and 1,2,3 re-homed budgies, and one rescued baby black headed conure.

I’m an equal-opportunity helper.

We’re a zoo.

avagreen on May 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Oh yeah, I feed/water the wild birds in the back yard during Summer and Winter(break the ice on water bowl….sometimes several times a day… and put out grain). The two half-grown cats to out at night, and sleep in the house during the day to allow the birds peace.

avagreen on May 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM

*go out at night
(stupid computer)

avagreen on May 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

dogs are good but….

dmacleo on May 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM

HEY AP!!!!

I started to email this to you….you’ve probably already seen it but as a cat lover you will enjoy it again. Hang in there until the end. It’s short, sorta.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

“these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.”

There is room in the world for all kinds of charity.

AesopFan on May 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM

This video reminds me so much of our little rescue pup who was a skin and bones mess like this poor baby just one year ago. Our “Mercy” now works as a therapy dog and visits veterans and a classroom of little boys with emotional challenges. Mercy, it seems, comes to us in most unexpected ways.

MAzingrace on May 1, 2014 at 8:38 PM

We have 2 weimaraners. Our female is from a breeder, a very good breeder, not a backyard breeder. We got her genealogy back to the 1890′s. She us a great dog, totally my dog. Our male was a rescue, starved, beaten, had old cigarette burns. We nursed him back to health and back to trusting humans. He is a wonderful dog, healthy, very intelligent, and loves everyone. He has never even growled at anyone. These dogs have taught me that dogs are more intelligent than most humans. And much better souls than most humans.

megthered on May 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Or go directly to the link below:

butterflylady on May 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

BIG THANKS for that second video link. It’s great to see Miley so well and happy after her dreadful experiences.

I love dogs, always will: Man’s best friend, indeed. Except I add to that, that it’s dogs who almost certainly humanized Mankind.

Lourdes on May 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Man…it’s dusty in here

Gal_Spunes on May 1, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I can never play the video on HA but the look is all I need

See The Look in the eyes of this sad gentle old dog: Meet the three nuns who rescued elderly abandoned pit bull ‘Remy’ from being euthanized

I cant resist these stories. Here is Jarvis P Weasley the cross eyed cat

Heartstrings

entagor on May 1, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I like dogs.

davidk on May 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Bishop on May 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Threadwinner!

Terrible movie but a Great Quote.

PolAgnostic on May 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Why not just get 800 people to adopt? Tweety.

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Dude!?!

Do you have ANY idea how much Dog Chow 800 people would go through in a week?!?

PolAgnostic on May 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Hope for Paws is the same group that gave us the video on Fiona last year, the blind dog that was rescued and had an operation that could see again. You guys posted it a couple of years ago.

NerwenAldarion on May 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Laying next to me is a beautiful and extremely well-mannered German Shepherd, who was found dehydrated, malnourished and emaciated, a little over a year ago. He was less than 40lbs. when he was found, and just under 50 when I brought him home. He’s now close to 90 lbs., and still lean. He is, without a doubt, the best GSD I’ve ever had, and a spectacular companion. He is my little girl’s playmate, and her protector. We are blessed to have him in our family.

Shelter/rescue dogs are the best dogs!!

Shepherd Lover on May 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I can’t wait until I get financially stable enough to get a dog. My brother just got his second. I’ll get one from the pound.

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 1:34 AM

docflash on May 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Sounds really nice. If I ever get to retire, that would be what I envision. Probably a pipe dream at the rate I’m going.

WhatSlushfund on May 2, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Years ago a rail thin (not quite emaciated, but close) pup came running up to me on the road… she was about 3 or 4 months old. It turned out that a family living with literally 5 generations in a 2 room shack with a massive hole on the porch had given the mom away after a litter of 4, had the pop still, and 2 of the 4 puppies had already been run over. They’d never had any vet care of course, were a little abused but mostly neglected and got whatever leftovers were available if anything at all.

I’d just started grad school and was putting myself thru, but I talked them out of that one pup. She turned out to be the most fantastic dog, went everywhere with me and although very independent, everyone around her loved her. They were sure she was some purebred breed they’d just never seen before. Her pop looked like a Keeshond – and she was colored like a sable color miniature collie but with the black keeshond facemask, tips of her ears dropped down – unless she was REALLY excited – thicker ruff around the neck, dual layered hair coat, tail that flipped over her back with long feathers & on front legs & britches too. She even “blustered” like a Keeshond when she was super excited to see me. This is utterly adorable and hilarious – a description from one Keeshond site: “occasionally given to blustering. In a Keeshond, this takes the form of shaking the head vigorously and emitting snorts and sneezes. Normally the Keeshond does not bluster; he reserves this distinctive behavior for occasions when he wants to express feelings of adoration for his master, as when welcoming the master on his return to the barge (they were originally Dutch boat dogs). The Keeshond jumps up, front feet off the ground and blusters a greeting to his friend. ”

And she was incredibly smart and athletic. I have all sorts of stories of her antics. She had totally different & recognizable barks for “there’s someone at the edge of the property I don’t know” versus “there’s someone ON our property I don’t know” versus “BY GAWD, THERES SOMEONE RIGHT OUTSIDE WHO SHOULDN’T BE THERE AND YOU’D BETTER CHECK THEM OUT NOW!!!” Then a whole different sounding set for for wild animals… and yet she wasn’t at all yappy or prone to barking much. She was easily the most expressionate dog I’ve ever known (and I grew up with at least one dog in the house my entire life) – just with looks, body language, and much less often vocalization. She was often a little wary on first meeting someone new, but would quickly warm to people and was very friendly. I could teach her tricks in two seconds flat – except it took forever to teach her to come when called because the only time she’d ever been called before I got her was when someone in the family that had her was mad and going to smack her.

She went everywhere with me for 16 1/2 years. I was incredibly lucky to have her at all, let alone for so long – and yet somehow when I lost her it managed to feel like she’d both always been with me and it’d been no time at all. She was one in a million and even though it’s been years I still miss her badly.

I’ve rescued and found homes for a number of other dogs and cats, even a few horses – including two cats I had about the same time as the pup (for 18 & 14 years), then none for a couple of years, and now have two others, also both strays off the street who were in desperate condition and likely wouldn’t have been alive even a few weeks later.

I think they find me. :0) (apologies for running on so long!)

Rational Db8 on May 2, 2014 at 4:37 AM

Reminds me of my borzoi and her BFF at daycare, a french bulldog named Lucy.

KirknBurker on May 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I’d love to see a video of that pair! Mutt and Jeff for sure. Bet they’re cute as the dickens together. :0)

Rational Db8 on May 2, 2014 at 4:39 AM

@butterflylady on May 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM

THANK YOU so much for posting the link to the follow up video from her new home! That was much needed after the tearjerker of seeing what horrible shape Miley was in. I wonder what happened to Frankie – haven’t followed that link yet. It’s a shame they weren’t able to adopt both out together, but it sure looks like Miley wound up with an excellent home and lots of love.

Rational Db8 on May 2, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Here’s the Frankie rescue – and update videos that are really cute from his final home too: http://www.theforgottendog.org/frankie-looking-forever-home/

Rational Db8 on May 2, 2014 at 4:59 AM

…Jeb Bush…is nearly 10 points behind Hillary Clinton in a state he governed for eight years, where his name recognition is sky high…There’ll be plenty of time for tears and recriminations in November 2016

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Enough of the “invincible hillary” meme. It’s annoying enough to hear that on msnbc/cnn/cbs/nbc/npr/etc….we don’t need that here, too. She is definitely NOT invincible.

olesparkie on May 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM

btw, the video had me bawlin’ me eyes out.

olesparkie on May 2, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Notice that no selfish, stoopid cats helped out.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 1, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Rather than get into the dog v cat bs….

I’m allergic to cats and dogs but more so with cats and never thought I’d have one until my roommate brought one home who looked like that dog. Patches of fur missing, mites in her ears, gunk in her eyes and fleas everywhere. And that was after my roommate had given her a bath.

She had worms and poor control over her body (I watched as she stepped off the small couch onto the floor and couldn’t keep her head from hitting the ground.) and her bones were visible everywhere. When we gave her flea baths, we’d have to hold her wrapped in a towel cause she had no body fat to trap in heat, and though she’d fight us, she’d also shiver so much that she’d pass out in your arms.

$400 in vet bills, bottle feeding her and forcing her to take medicine she was too weak to refuse made me really fall for her and want to do nothing more than protect her, especially every time she hung between my legs as I stood when strangers were around, as though she saw me as protection.

It was annoying at times but one of the happiest moments when she finally gained her strength, fought us on the medicine and began attacking us like a kitten and demolishing every toy we brought home.

They vets warned us not to feel responsible if she didn’t make it, but nearly 11 years later she’s overweight, and I have to actually restrict what she can eat. It’s amazing.

Sorry this is so long, but for anyone still reading who doesn’t buy into the “dogs are better” thing, you should see the way she greets us when we get home and how she misses us when she’s been away or goes into the most adorably high pitched kinda purring I’ve ever heard when we hold her.

All suffering creatures tend tone immensely grateful when someone saves them. That’s the biggest takeaway here.

Esthier on May 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM

So many, many good people posting on this site.

Conservatives are a compassionate group of people. It shows.

avagreen on May 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM