Video: Dem congressman doubles down on claim that criticizing Obama is racist

posted at 6:11 pm on April 30, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’m as excited as you are. When you’ve already received a contribution to the National Dialogue On Race as rich and nuanced as Bennie Thompson’s, obviously you want more. Let’s check in with CNN for today’s dose of wisdom:

Bash: Isn’t that a racially charged term [to call Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom"]?

Thompson: “For some it is, but to others it’s the truth.”

Bash: Because looking at that and hearing that kind of language, that certainly wouldn’t be appropriate if it was coming from somebody who was white.

Thompson: “But I’m black.”

QED. Look at it from his perspective: He knows he won’t be reprimanded, so why waste time cooking up anything more than pro forma spin?

If you want a fresh take on this nearly exhausted subject, Nate Silver’s got a new data-crunch at FiveThirtyEight that uses eight metrics to try to determine whether white Republicans really are more racist than white Democrats. His answer: Yes, but only marginally (less than single digits) in most measures, and the two metrics that show wide gaps implicate partisan economic views, not just race. Like I said yesterday in my first post on Thompson, it’s difficult for neutral observers to tell how much of the last five years is a reaction to Obama and how much is a reaction to the financial crisis and endless economic woes and “cures” that followed. The two eras overlap nearly perfectly. If many more white Republicans than white Democrats think that “too much” money is spent improving conditions for blacks, how much of that is due to racism and how much is due to Republicans believing that too much money is spent on nearly everything? Same with the wide partisan gap when whites of both parties are asked whether blacks lack the motivation to pull themselves out of poverty. It may be that racial views are affecting that, but the idea that America is the land of opportunity where someone who works hard can find success is basic conservative dogma. Is the recent spike among GOPers on that question a reaction to Obama’s race or is it a reaction to protracted unemployment and demands for ever-extending unemployment benefits among the broader population after the crash of 2008? The answer depends on whether it’s in your political interest to cast the GOP as a party of inveterate racists. I can guess what Thompson would say.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thompson: “But I’m black.”

So blacks are allowed to be racist?

rbj on April 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Blacks are allowed to be evil, incompetent, or unproductive without having to be accountable…as long as they are black liberals.
To try to hold them to any kind of accountability whatsoever is to be racist.
Obviously.

itsnotaboutme on April 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM

…But is someone is a black conservative, you’re allowed to invent baseless accusations against him.
In fact, to not attack a black conservative is to be racist.

itsnotaboutme on April 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Under 26?

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Princess bride?
Blazing saddle?

Never heard of them. The end.

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM

#yikes (see what I did there?). Seriously, though, you really should watch Princess Bride so you’re not the only person in the U.S. that doesn’t get the joke.

But don’t be too bothered by not knowing that was a line from Airplane. FWIW, I don’t know nearly as much now as I did when I was in my early twenties.

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM

If you think that nominating a conservative color will bring the party support from that color block, forget it. They know who stirs the public trough. They’ll just accuse you of pandering and hate the nominee for it.

I speak jive. The End.

leftnomore on April 30, 2014 at 8:31 PM

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM

What is this? Rotten tomato . What is up with the movie recommendations. What’s next? you are going to tell me to watch citizen Kane and Spartacus?

I must warn you, that I don’t like gladiator movies so bother recommending Spartacus.

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Under 26?

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM

foolrepubick ?? only in IQ

cableguy615 on April 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Under 26?

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Princess bride?
Blazing saddle?

Never heard of them. The end.

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Doesn’t matter which side of the ‘political spectrum’ you’re on . . . . . being an adult without having seen Princess Bride, or Blazing Saddles is clearly “UN-American”.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Nevermind. The “Hello, my name is…” bit probably won’t ever catch on anyway. Sorry for taking up your time. Carry on.

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM

If you think Spartacus is a “gladiator movie” then you’ve got bigger problems than unsolicited recommendations.

The Schaef on April 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM

…I don’t like gladiator movies…

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM

The Schaef on April 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I suspect that choice had to do with her googling the Airplane quote.

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I suspect that choice had to do with her googling the Airplane quote.

rogerb on April 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Actually close. The airplane quotes I know are my name is not surely, gladiator, and do you like to watch. I only remembered that last because my boss would say it at least once a week. When I had a job of course, welfare is so much better now. But I did have to google them from my brain server. So you win.

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Is This The New Rule as I Understand It? If you say something about Obama that is perceived negative by Benny Thompson and Benny Thompson has never heard it before – Your a racist.

Buckshots on April 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM

On another note, is this what passes for a reporter these days. Pitiful and week are two words that come to mind.

Buckshots on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Buckshots on April 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Wouldn’t matter who is President . . . . . if any white-man opposes ‘socialized government’ in any way, shape, or form … they’re a “racist”.

If you’re a black-man who opposes ‘socialized government’ in any way, shape, or form … you’re an “Uncle Tom”.
I don’t know what they call Hispanic conservatives.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I don’t know what they call Hispanic conservatives.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

SooperMexicans

Murphy9 on April 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I don’t know what they call Hispanic conservatives.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM

“Porch Mexicans”?

slickwillie2001 on April 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM

i bet not even this supposed author of this piece knows what it means to be an Uncle Tom or have ever bothered to read the book. Even the reporter said republicans told her you people were racists

AmlissVess on May 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Calling Thomas an Uncle Tom is insulting to any free thinking man. Thomas life experience has shape is world view and to call him is trying to degrade that life experience. Shame on this congressman.

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM

It would seem that neither you nor Thompson actually read the book–Uncle Tom was a person to admire rather than disparage. People who use ‘Uncle Tom’ as an insult only show how ignorant they really are.

zoyclem on May 1, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Here’s some food for thought.

“Uncle Tom” is basically a black man calling another black man a race traiter.

Now, imagine a white man calling another white man a race traiter. What to you assume (likely correctly) the first white man is?

Now why doesn’t the media make the same assumption about that congresman (retorical, of course)…

DethMetalCookieMonst on May 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM

It seems to me that a black liberal politician who adheres so strongly to the historic party of slavery, segregation and racism… is the true “Uncle Tom”.

dominigan on May 1, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Screw this jerk.

rplat on May 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Unless I missed it somewhere in the comments, in a ‘traditional’ sense, the definition of ‘racism’ is a function of ‘power’. Whites, by virtue of their ‘having all the power’, are (or can be) racists. Keeping others ‘down’ defines their sense of power. Blacks, by virtue of the color of their skin and minority status, have no power in the traditional sense (political) and view themselves as ‘victims’ of white power (racism). Therefore, by definition, blacks cannot be racists.

vnvet on May 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM

vnvet on May 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Congressman Thompson is serving his eleventh term in Congress. He is the longest-serving African-American elected official in the state of Mississippi… In 2000, Thompson authored legislation creating the National Center for Minority Health and Health Care Disparities, which subsequently became law. Thompson also received a Presidential appointment to serve on the National Council on Health Planning and Development…and selected him to serve as the first Democratic Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

The funniest part is that Rep. (for 20 years) Thompson would somehow agree with that “have no power” premise.

rogerb on May 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM

vnvet on May 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Sorry, but no way in hell “by definition,” as the following is the ACTUAL definition, according to that piker Miriam Webster:

racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief : a program to combat racism.

By race-baiting spin, yes, but not “by definition.”

PJ Emeritus on May 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Also the “N word” actually began as a dirivitive of the Latin (then EVERY other Romance language’s) word for the color black – which is niger. It was NOT considered a derrogatory term.

PJ Emeritus on May 1, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Thompson: “For some it is, but to others it’s the truth.”

Thompson: “But I’m black.”

DrDeano on May 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM

FIF CNN:

Thompson: “For some it is, but to others it’s the truth.”

Bash: “But all racists believe their racist thoughts and beliefs are “the truth”. Duh. That’s what makes them racists.”

Thompson: “But I’m black.”

Bash: “SFW, Blacks who think and act racist are racists too.”

DrDeano on May 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Thompson: “But I’m black.”

“Which means I can say any vile thing I want to, and what are you going to do about it?”

RebeccaH on May 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM