Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on April 30, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The U.S. economy barely grew in the first quarter as exports tumbled and businesses accumulated stocks at the slowest pace in nearly a year, but activity already appears to be bouncing back.

Gross domestic product expanded at a 0.1 percent annual rate, the slowest since the fourth quarter of 2012, the Commerce Department said on Wednesday.

That was a sharp pullback from the fourth quarter’s 2.6 percent pace and was worse than economists’ expectations for a slowdown to a 1.2 percent rate. The slowdown partly reflected an unusually cold and disruptive winter, marked by declines in sectors ranging from business spending to home building.

***

Today’s GDP estimate is subject to a number of notable influences, including historically severe winter weather, which temporarily lowered growth in the first quarter. The report also shows the positive impact of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act which, together with continued slowing in health costs, helped strengthen the economy in the first quarter. …

2. The first quarter of 2014 was marked by unusually severe winter weather, including record cold temperatures and snowstorms, which explains part of the difference in GDP growth relative to previous quarters. The left chart shows the quarterly deviation in heating degree days from its average for the same quarter over the previous five years. By this measure, the first quarter of 2014 was the third most unusually cold quarter over the last sixty years, behind only the first quarter of 1978 and the fourth quarter of 1976. In addition, there were four storms in the first quarter that rated on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale (NESIS). The right chart shows that no quarter going back to 1956 had more than three such storms.

***

As the U.S. economy teetered on the brink of contraction in the first quarter, one thing stood out. Healthcare spending increased at its fastest pace in more than three decades.

That surge is attributed to the implementation of President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law, the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Because of Obamacare, the nation narrowly avoided its first decline in output in three years.

“GDP growth would have … been negative were it not for healthcare spending,” said Harm Bandholz, chief economist at UniCredit Research in New York.

Healthcare spending increased at a 9.9 percent annual rate, the quickest since the third quarter of 1980, and it contributed 1.1 percentage points to GDP growth.

***

The truth is, nobody knows how much of this slowdown represents a blip that will reverse in coming months is — and how much of it reflects fundamental weakness in the economy. The weather does a good job of explaining why businesses held back on investment during the beginning of the year, but it doesn’t explain stubborn weakness in housing or why companies aren’t exporting more. The economic recovery – now almost five years old – is replete with false starts and dashed optimism.

The spring and summer should be revealing – and are enormously important for the debate in Washington and the mid-term election campaign. Economic growth is an important factor in many models predicting the outcome of mid-term elections. If it continues to perform poorly, endangered Democrats could have even more reason to worry. And there could be compounding factors. It’s been a bit of a mystery about why Obama’s approval numbers – another factor in the mid-term races – have fared poorly after his administration was able to turn the Affordable Care Act enrollment period into something of a success. Perhaps slow growth – hey, bad weather makes people depressed, too – had something to do with it.

***

A housing recovery that was expected to accelerate this year is instead sputtering. And no, you can’t just blame the weather.

Sharp increases in home prices in much of the USA, along with higher mortgage rates, have discouraged many house-hunters. Home inventories are at historically low levels. First-time home buyers, who traditionally drive home sales, remain saddled with student debt and face still-stringent lending standards.

After bouncing back smartly in 2012 and most of 2013 following the 2006-09 real estate crash, the housing market began slowing last fall. Although an unusually cold and snowy winter hindered activity early this year, home sales and starts were disappointing again in March, even in the West and South.

***

***

With the Republican-led filibuster of a Senate proposal to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 on Wednesday, Democrats moved swiftly to frame the vote as an example of the gulf that exists between the two parties on matters of economic fairness and upward mobility.

The question is not just one of money, they said, but of morality. And in doing so the Democrats returned to the themes that were successful for their party and President Obama in 2012 when they convinced swing voters that Democrats were mindful of the best interests of all Americans — not just those who are powerful and wealthy.

Speaking from the White House shortly after the measure was defeated 54 to 42, with 60 votes needed to advance, Mr. Obama admonished Republicans and called on voters to punish them at the polls in November. “If there’s any good news here, it’s that Republicans in Congress don’t get the last word on this issue, or any issue,” Mr. Obama said. “You do, the American people, the voters.”

“If your member of Congress doesn’t support raising the minimum wage,” he added, “you have to let them know they’re out of step, and that if they keep putting politics ahead of working Americans, you’ll put them out of office.”

***

Every other sentence out of the mouths of Barack Obama and other progressive Democrats seems to invoke the “middle class,” and when they’re not promising to help the middle class, they’re obsessing about how to humble the rich. In the past two weeks, the Left’s preoccupation with confiscating thy neighbor’s goods has been highlighted by two things: The reception of Thomas Piketty’s new book, Capital in the Twenty-first Century, and the response to rumors that Senator Elizabeth (“Occupy Wall Street”) Warren might run for president. Both have received the full secular saint treatment, reflecting the progressives’ almost mob-like eagerness to lay hands on more of the property of the rich. Not for the poor, mind you, but for the “middle class” (translation: themselves).

The great advantage of being a liberal/progressive in America is that you are always judged on your intentions (or stated intentions) and not on results. While the pundits are swooning for Piketty and Warren, may we have even a moment’s pause to consider how well Obama’s brand of progressivism has done for the poor and middle class?

***

To the extent we have an economic inequality problem, it’s not because a small percenatge of our population—comprised of professional entertainers and athletes, corporate CEOs, internet pioneers, and others—are wealthier than the average American. Young graduates bearing large student loans while facing a weak job market, families facing unemployment or low wages, and single parents struggling to raise children do not find their situations any more difficult because some in our nation are wealthy.

Yet, liberals seem to think otherwise, and here we find a stark illustration of the converse mindsets of liberals and conservatives. Liberals seem to want to reduce economic inequality by bringing the people at the top down, while conservatives want to reduce inequality by bringing the people at the bottom up. The left wants to focus on class warfare while the right wants to focus on economic growth, the proverbial rising tide that raises all boats.

If we want to reduce economic inequality, the only logical solution is to raise the living standards of the middle class and those at the lower end of the economic spectrum.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 12:49 AM

novaculus on May 1, 2014 at 12:49 AM

What does one study in poli sci? Is it history, theory, strategy…curiosity is overflowing here…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM

How lovely to see you MG, hearkening back to the days of yore I fondly remember getting lost cleaning your pool and ending up in your closet with all those lovely dresses and gowns.

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Danza got the Four, which I wasn’t too bad with until he ended up being surrounded by speed. Now he needs to break hard and use his agility to get a good spot without getting cooked early. Could be tough.

Cal Chrome’s post is ok, except he too is surrounded by other quick breakers.

Wicked Strong comes from way back, so the 20 isn’t as bad as it could be, but yeah, he’s got a lot of ground to save now.
predator on May 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM

What strange american/english lingo is this you are speaking?

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Everything runs its course, Scrumpy. The progressive LEFT has been living it up like a jazz baby with a trust fund and bathtub full of gin, but those days are drawing to a close. The reasons why their ideology is wrong are making themselves clear.

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Hoppertunity seems to be okay??..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Nice Bishop!! :) good song too…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Last out for me tonight.

I love these guys. 2Cellos – With or Without You

Music starts about 2:15

Good night all.

lineholder on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Hi, harkening back to the days of yore I fondly remember the way your poems grace the air waves with delightful notes of fanciful (opps now I’m stuck, painted myself into a corner, MG knows how to get me out of here just like when I got stuck in her closet.)

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM

What strange american/english lingo is this you are speaking?

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

It’s horse handicapping jargon. It means we know how to tell people what dumb picks we’ve made in a given race and yet sound like we know what we’re talking about.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

What does one study in poli sci?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM

How Marxism is awesome sauce.

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I am so glad that you have confidence that their run is coming to an end, I just don’t see that at the moment…

Lying liars lying bald faced to our faces, I can’t stomach much more of these blatent dispicable lies…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Cal Chrome is know as quick breaker also isn’t he?..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Toto – Hold The Line

RickB on May 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

lol! Seems like just yesterday.:)

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM

lineholder on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Niters and sleep well, LH!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

it works! lol, you had me fooled fer sure, I couldn’t make head nor tail of it, so, it sure shows that I am not into horse racing lol

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Hoppertunity seems to be okay??..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:00 AM

He was a little less keen in his last gallop–the two breezes prior to that were excellent. I’m still using him unless something really weird happens. I think I’m set for the race. I want to check out the clocker report tomorrow just to make sure.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Beautifully said..Perfect!!..:):)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes, those were the glory days hmmmmmm

(slipping into night dreams) :D

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

SERIOUSLY??? o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

lineholder on May 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Good night and God Bless and ty for the tunes!! :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Hang in there, Scrumpy. I know it’s difficult, and it will only get worse ahead of ’16, but if we manage to elect enough decent people to the senate and take the presidency, the worst will be over and we can set about repairing some of the damage.

Think of it like parents who leave their teenager at home with the credit cards and return to find the house trashed and the cards maxed out. There’s little left to do but send the kid to military school, pay off the credit cards, and repair the damage to the home.

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I was deeply offended by those comments and feel like the only way for me to be whole again is to be given the LA Clippers Franchise.

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Cal Chrome is know as quick breaker also isn’t he?..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM

But two of his three out-of-the-money finishes were partly due to slow break from the gate.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

That’s what they teach in poly sci. I don’t think Marxism is awesome sauce, not even with a six pack of Zima

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM

My call..(Subject to change)(1) Cal chrome (2)Wicked Strong (3)Hoppertunity..:)

PS..I just have a feeling about Wicked Strong..I may move him to (1)..I know sucker play..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Good evening, again, and good night.

The music was wonderful. Thank you all.

The news are devastating in all the links, J.

Good night America.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM

We did political philosophy and a lot of statistical analysis, like surveys of public opinion, polling, etc. We had some international flavor as well, and included such issues as different types of educational systems, economic systems, etc. from around the world. So it was political theory, practical surveys, and international. Needless to say a lot of my professors leaned leftist, one even ran for congress as a democrat–her great compliment to me was that I could “present the opposing (conservative) argument well.”
I would have called myself a moderate at the time, but life has illustrated to me far too well that the “progressives” in this country are not interested in the well being of the country, but in the realization of their statist dreams. Therefor I have steadily moved rightward in my views, sometimes conservative, sometimes libertarian (medicine will make you more libertarian when you realize a great number of people don’t give a damn what is good for them–be frustrated, or be willing to say OK, do what you want, but here’s the truth…and anyway, they’ll put money in your pocket later when they have that first heart attack at 52, or whatever. :) )

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Nicely put! There is that, and yes, I agree, it’s gonna get rotten before it can get better, I can be a bit of a ‘downer’ sometimes…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Good evening, again, and good night.

The music was wonderful. Thank you all.

The news are devastating in all the links, J.

Good night America.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Good Night Schad and God Bless, and thanks for your links also :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Niters and sleep well, Schade!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:11 AM

My call..(Subject to change)(1) Cal chrome (2)Wicked Strong (3)Hoppertunity..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM

If he gets a hot pace in front of him (likely), and can get rolling late like he did in the Wood, he may make you look like a genius. He was made third choice at 8-1 following the draw.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Nite Schadenfreude

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM

How does one bet on a horse race and are you pretty confident about these ol’ nags that are running?

I wanna make about 500 bucks :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Good night, Schad. I read your article from yesterday…people are boiling over….

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Goodnight, my friend. :)

I’m sorry for the terrible news contained in those links, but I knew you’d prefer the truth. Everyone needs to know.

As usual, you chose one of the best Spann tunes. :)

Sleep well, Paladin. :)

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM

If you think you are Johnson, the shiksa who recorded Sterling comes with the deal, yuck!

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Sadistics Statistics I can handle, as with polling, but philosophy is enough to make my eyes glaze over–unless I can find a concrete analogy to tag with a philosophical concept, I’m lost.

Did I mention I was fantastic in college math until I walked into a Calculus class? Lost it completely… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

My call..(Subject to change)(1) Cal chrome (2)Wicked Strong (3)Hoppertunity..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM

I’m using Cal and “Hoppy” along with probably Medal Count, Danza, and Intense Holiday.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Next To Me – Benoit

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

<________________________ AFK for a smoke I relapsed slightly… ):

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Gold digger

Again, I wouldn’t usually link to this idiots music, but this song is perfect for that floozy….

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Bleacher Report has Samraat as a “Dark Horse”..He starts next to Cal Chrome..Would not be suprised if those two have a lead going after the first turn..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Never to worry about sharing the news. We’re better off knowing than being surprised, indeed. Nite J. Sleep some :)

Nite Fred and Mrs. Fred

Nite Lance.

Nite HonestLib.

Nite all.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Still Got The Blues – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

I wanna make about 500 bucks :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

These ain’t old nags, broom-rider.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Doc, not ignoring you. I think of you every time a thread on obama’care’ surfaces, and in general. No idea where it leads…I worry about the Rs more than the D-rats.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Night Jackie!

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Heh. The philosophy part was my favorite–even if it was heavily slanted to the marxist side. I feel your pain with the math–I understood it but was impatient, so I made too many errors. Eventually this convinced me to NOT go into engineering, which had been my original plan…
Lady Doc, on the other hand, has a MASTERS in math and can talk about things I have no clue about. She was so good in College that she was recruited by the NSA as a code breaker…she declined.
Oh, and good evening to everyone at the NSA…

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Me neither–should be a hell of a charge to the front from the inner half of the field.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Talk to Predator..He knows a lot more about it than me..:)

PS..Horse Racing is the most exciting 2 minutes in sports..Bar none..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Oopsie, no tips then ): dang…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Good Night dear MG God Bless and be well :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM

That’s a very handsome Horse!! I Lurve Horses!! :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Joy Division live 1979

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 1:16 AM

I thought about posting that last night. The studio version though. One of my very favorite songs.

non-nonpartisan on May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Oopsie, no tips then ): dang…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM

One thing about people who give “tips” at the race track…they’re wrong more often than they’re right. That’s the case with all of us, but I’ll pit my results against that of the “talking heads” any day.

The key is to learn how to be right often enough to stay in the game, and bank a big score when you get it.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Methinks I just ‘upset’ pred by calling them ‘ol nags’…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

That’s a very handsome Horse!! I Lurve Horses!! :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM

That was Medal Count while he was at Keeneland. I saw him race down there. He was second but ran well.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Scrumpy is a rascal.

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Back in the day, I waded through Elementary, Intermediate and College Algebra, Sadistics Statistics, Trigonometry, Economics, Accounting (easy because the bookkeeping classes I took in HS had long since cleared up any confusion between assets, liabilities and expenses–and how to post them), yada-yada-yada. Couldn’t draw worth a darn, so my lab reports in Botany and Zoology were better suited for the Fridgedeezer, but I did OK.

First read “Atlas Shrugged,” “Stranger in a Strange Land” and “Crash of ’79″ in philosophy classes–got more out of those than I did from the philosophers I was studying. o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Anyone model polygons?

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM

SparkPlug on May 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Sometimes she is! ;)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Yes it will..sombody is going to get cut out of the herd quickly..You know Cal Chrome and Samraat jockeys are going to go out fast and head for the rail….Wicked Strong should just try to keep them in sight for the first half to 3/4 mile and hope to have enough in the tank to squeak by in the end..imho..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Anyone model polygons?

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Good evening Axefellow :)

Cozmo prolly could…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Horizontal stripes do wonders for me… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I am amongst some scholarly scholars!! :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 12:46 AM

It seems pretty obvious that past and current admins could give a hoot about us, the people.

It is all about the riches either party can gain and the power also.

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 12:50 AM

…..while I agree with much of that – I believe that the FOCUS of that statement IS and SHOULD BE kept on THE CURRENT Administration…….

CLINTON ALLOWED 911 to Happen – Dubya minimized the mess he left – went out at KILLED most of the REAL Terrorists, and Kept Us Safe……..He ALWAYS has a safe spot in my heart because of that…..

HOW MANY Terrorist ATTACKS have there BEEN On AMERICA and AMERICANS since Bush Left Office? A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT OF THEM……that have been “Blacked Out” or “Papered Over” by The Media AND This Administration…..but, I repeat myself!

williamg on May 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

RickB on May 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Spinning some great songs tonight!! :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I am amongst some scholarly scholars!! :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

…..all I have is a degree in Unclear Engineering…..

williamg on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Methinks I just ‘upset’ pred by calling them ‘ol nags’…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Not a chance, darlin’.

BTW–A little trivia for you. There was once a race horse named Man O’ War. He raced in 1920, 1921 and ran 21 times. He won all but one race. And the race that he lost was to a horse named–Upset.

Thoroughbred historians to this day still debate whether or not this was the birth of the use of the word “upset” to describe and underdog defeating a heavy favorite in any sporting event.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I think I read “Atlas Shrugged” in college or High School. I had an idea that what she was saying was true and important, but wasn’t quite sure about it– but I sure know now! Her dislike of philanthropy and religion is bizarre, but she absolutely nails the Statist to the wall. I’m not sure anybody has ever described the leftist pathology better.

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Horizontal stripes do wonders for me… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Really? :) Well, one can imagine your build then.

. . . I know too much of this crap for a heterosexual man. I really do. It’s not my fault — I was raised by three sisters.

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Cozmo prolly could…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Now I wonder.

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

One big run at the end–it’s happened before.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM

williamg on May 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Yes, darlin’

“Dubya minimized the mess he left – went out at KILLED most of the REAL Terrorists, and Kept Us Safe……..He ALWAYS has a safe spot in my heart because of that…..

In mine also, I cried buckets when he gave that speech near the twin towers area, I cannot envision Oboobma doing that, ever, or having that impact on people… Dubya was somthing special, he knew how we all felt cuz he felt it too, Oboobma, not so much, I hate his pompous ass…

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM

. . . someone left a towel. Smells like chlorine and excellence.

. . . leave this here.

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM

williamg on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Nothing ‘unclear’ about you!!

I don’t have a ‘degree’… ):

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:35 AM

APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS, EGGLESTON.

Axe on May 1, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Oh, and in college my Russian professor was Jewish and had been kicked out of Russia by the Communists. She had some real world insight on the evils of that system…hair raising, to say the least.

OK, time for me to hit the sack. The great season ending softball and baseball tournaments start tomorrow at 11 am sharp, and I’m the driver for tomorrow. Good night Hot Air!

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM

good evening HA later nighters..
hope all is well for you all,
in what’s left of this once proud nation…

going2mars on May 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Now you said somthing I have heard! My Grandpa loved playing the horses back in the UK and he talked about that one the name is familiar! I used to watch horse racing back home and the Grand national was the only race I’d bet on, go down to the bookies and place me bet, lol, never won much tho… haven’t followed any racing here at all… cool history lesson!! Thanks :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Man-O-War is the king..Here is the Prince..:)

PS..I think this is the perfect ride of horse racing history..Never went to the whip..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Hey g2m. I gotta try to sleep. Gotta be a day person come friday morning. ugh. Took two pills for sleeping, but they just make me dehydrated, not tired…

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Good Night and God bless Doc, have fun tomorrow :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM

I would love to go to the English or Irish Derby. It’s the one thing that could actually get me to go to Europe.

predator on May 1, 2014 at 1:40 AM

going2mars on May 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Good Morning G2M!! Clear sky tonight :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Don’t feel intimidated, Scrumpy–I haven’t sat in a college class since c1982, BUT I retained enough to tutor my Oldest Dear Son through his first year college math, as well as help my Younger Dear Sons with their math (pre-common core). My Youngest Dear Son, though, has the ability to do math in his head with about a 90% accuracy rate.

First Rule: Go with what you know… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I hope you get to sleep some and hope it’s restful, Good Night M9! and God Bless :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Amazing 3D printing pen draws plastic objects in the air

Almost forgot… I wanted to leave this for going2mars. :)

thatsafactjack on May 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Murphy9 on May 1, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Drink you a couple of cold beers..That should do the trick..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Doc Holliday on May 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM

John Galt’s 50-page radio address got my eyes glazing over, but the philosophy presented in the story format sank in REAL good!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:44 AM

going2mars on May 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on May 1, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 1, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Me? Intimidated? Never lol, I lurve brainy people, I pick up so much!! I do read when I am in the mood, I am a hands on kinda gal, in my life I have done jobs that were considered men only jobs, talking 35 to 40 years ago now, I was pumped! Always loved physical work, but had I had me druthers, Biology and History were my fortes… :)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2014 at 1:45 AM