Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on April 30, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The U.S. economy barely grew in the first quarter as exports tumbled and businesses accumulated stocks at the slowest pace in nearly a year, but activity already appears to be bouncing back.

Gross domestic product expanded at a 0.1 percent annual rate, the slowest since the fourth quarter of 2012, the Commerce Department said on Wednesday.

That was a sharp pullback from the fourth quarter’s 2.6 percent pace and was worse than economists’ expectations for a slowdown to a 1.2 percent rate. The slowdown partly reflected an unusually cold and disruptive winter, marked by declines in sectors ranging from business spending to home building.

***

Today’s GDP estimate is subject to a number of notable influences, including historically severe winter weather, which temporarily lowered growth in the first quarter. The report also shows the positive impact of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act which, together with continued slowing in health costs, helped strengthen the economy in the first quarter. …

2. The first quarter of 2014 was marked by unusually severe winter weather, including record cold temperatures and snowstorms, which explains part of the difference in GDP growth relative to previous quarters. The left chart shows the quarterly deviation in heating degree days from its average for the same quarter over the previous five years. By this measure, the first quarter of 2014 was the third most unusually cold quarter over the last sixty years, behind only the first quarter of 1978 and the fourth quarter of 1976. In addition, there were four storms in the first quarter that rated on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale (NESIS). The right chart shows that no quarter going back to 1956 had more than three such storms.

***

As the U.S. economy teetered on the brink of contraction in the first quarter, one thing stood out. Healthcare spending increased at its fastest pace in more than three decades.

That surge is attributed to the implementation of President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law, the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Because of Obamacare, the nation narrowly avoided its first decline in output in three years.

“GDP growth would have … been negative were it not for healthcare spending,” said Harm Bandholz, chief economist at UniCredit Research in New York.

Healthcare spending increased at a 9.9 percent annual rate, the quickest since the third quarter of 1980, and it contributed 1.1 percentage points to GDP growth.

***

The truth is, nobody knows how much of this slowdown represents a blip that will reverse in coming months is — and how much of it reflects fundamental weakness in the economy. The weather does a good job of explaining why businesses held back on investment during the beginning of the year, but it doesn’t explain stubborn weakness in housing or why companies aren’t exporting more. The economic recovery – now almost five years old – is replete with false starts and dashed optimism.

The spring and summer should be revealing – and are enormously important for the debate in Washington and the mid-term election campaign. Economic growth is an important factor in many models predicting the outcome of mid-term elections. If it continues to perform poorly, endangered Democrats could have even more reason to worry. And there could be compounding factors. It’s been a bit of a mystery about why Obama’s approval numbers – another factor in the mid-term races – have fared poorly after his administration was able to turn the Affordable Care Act enrollment period into something of a success. Perhaps slow growth – hey, bad weather makes people depressed, too – had something to do with it.

***

A housing recovery that was expected to accelerate this year is instead sputtering. And no, you can’t just blame the weather.

Sharp increases in home prices in much of the USA, along with higher mortgage rates, have discouraged many house-hunters. Home inventories are at historically low levels. First-time home buyers, who traditionally drive home sales, remain saddled with student debt and face still-stringent lending standards.

After bouncing back smartly in 2012 and most of 2013 following the 2006-09 real estate crash, the housing market began slowing last fall. Although an unusually cold and snowy winter hindered activity early this year, home sales and starts were disappointing again in March, even in the West and South.

***

***

With the Republican-led filibuster of a Senate proposal to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 on Wednesday, Democrats moved swiftly to frame the vote as an example of the gulf that exists between the two parties on matters of economic fairness and upward mobility.

The question is not just one of money, they said, but of morality. And in doing so the Democrats returned to the themes that were successful for their party and President Obama in 2012 when they convinced swing voters that Democrats were mindful of the best interests of all Americans — not just those who are powerful and wealthy.

Speaking from the White House shortly after the measure was defeated 54 to 42, with 60 votes needed to advance, Mr. Obama admonished Republicans and called on voters to punish them at the polls in November. “If there’s any good news here, it’s that Republicans in Congress don’t get the last word on this issue, or any issue,” Mr. Obama said. “You do, the American people, the voters.”

“If your member of Congress doesn’t support raising the minimum wage,” he added, “you have to let them know they’re out of step, and that if they keep putting politics ahead of working Americans, you’ll put them out of office.”

***

Every other sentence out of the mouths of Barack Obama and other progressive Democrats seems to invoke the “middle class,” and when they’re not promising to help the middle class, they’re obsessing about how to humble the rich. In the past two weeks, the Left’s preoccupation with confiscating thy neighbor’s goods has been highlighted by two things: The reception of Thomas Piketty’s new book, Capital in the Twenty-first Century, and the response to rumors that Senator Elizabeth (“Occupy Wall Street”) Warren might run for president. Both have received the full secular saint treatment, reflecting the progressives’ almost mob-like eagerness to lay hands on more of the property of the rich. Not for the poor, mind you, but for the “middle class” (translation: themselves).

The great advantage of being a liberal/progressive in America is that you are always judged on your intentions (or stated intentions) and not on results. While the pundits are swooning for Piketty and Warren, may we have even a moment’s pause to consider how well Obama’s brand of progressivism has done for the poor and middle class?

***

To the extent we have an economic inequality problem, it’s not because a small percenatge of our population—comprised of professional entertainers and athletes, corporate CEOs, internet pioneers, and others—are wealthier than the average American. Young graduates bearing large student loans while facing a weak job market, families facing unemployment or low wages, and single parents struggling to raise children do not find their situations any more difficult because some in our nation are wealthy.

Yet, liberals seem to think otherwise, and here we find a stark illustration of the converse mindsets of liberals and conservatives. Liberals seem to want to reduce economic inequality by bringing the people at the top down, while conservatives want to reduce inequality by bringing the people at the bottom up. The left wants to focus on class warfare while the right wants to focus on economic growth, the proverbial rising tide that raises all boats.

If we want to reduce economic inequality, the only logical solution is to raise the living standards of the middle class and those at the lower end of the economic spectrum.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Yes, thanks. It took longer than normal which pi$$ed me off though.

+++++++++++++

I think Steve is awesome in explaining numbers. He makes it so even I can understand it.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

We are in effect in a depression not unlike the great one. Millions of people don’t have jobs or are working at part time or temp jobs. I don’t know the numbers of people on welfare or food stamps or Medicaid. We have almost no manufacturing. The government is driving businesses out.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I’m going off of somewhat-hazy memory here, but food stamp rollss are just under 50 million (or more than the number of women in the workforce), and total means-tested welfare rolls are something well north of 100 million and well more than the number of full-time workers.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

She’s been ignoring them for a month. They were doing beautifully, too. :(

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

:) Bishop a wee bit tardy.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I got to meet some of my son’s fellow college conservatives today.
They’re nice kids.
I think that I made a good first impression on them.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

You made a good first impression on someone?

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM

She’s been ignoring them for a month. They were doing beautifully, too. :(

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

She was waiting for them to get big enough.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM

My collie says:

Good evening Hot Air peeps.

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I’m sure you did ALT.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I’m sure you did Barb!

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I saw a comment from someone here at HA today saying that they hoped to see you writing more often.

Maybe you’re better at it than you realize or feel like you are.

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I think we found my number one fan :-P

…I like it when you write…as I said earlier….it’s been tooooo looong since you wrote a piece for here.

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Seriously, my downfall back when I was a young lad was essay writing. Give me a word math problem, or an unbalanced chemical equation, and a blank sheet of paper any day.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Ratso didn’t want a shower?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I have a work friend who signed up. Hispanic dude. He’s. Pizzed off.

Breaks down like this. Over $400/month but he gets the “subsidy”.

$76/month is his cost.

It(s all good, except no Doc will accept it. None.

Stuck paying for nothing.

wolly4321 on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM

gmta….(waving)

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I know. Once they start making shade, my shepherd is all about it,

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

My collie says:

Good evening Hot Air peeps.

Welcome, Cyber’s collie. We rarely see you here at night.

Barred on April 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Your extra gift is that you can EXPLAIN it.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Well, that settles it–Steve, you’re a keeper!!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Ratso didn’t want a shower?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

He is busy licking the wet off of his fur…

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

She was waiting for them to get big enough.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM

You may be right. They were just beginning to really show over the top of the container. She hasn’t messed with the tomato, but it’s caged. Maybe I should just put tomato cages on all the plants?

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

gmta….(waving)

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Guys look! There is a hot chick waving at me! Look; right over there!

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I always got into trouble for boiling things down to the simplest terms. I never saw any sense in saying the same thing over and over. Teachers would tell us to write a certain number of paragraphs or pages and I just couldn’t do it.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

This is a jazz version of ZZ Tops’ Sharp Dressed Man

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I got to meet some of my son’s fellow college conservatives today.
They’re nice kids.
I think that I made a good first impression on them.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Well, that settles THAT!!

The problem is with OTHER people, ALT! ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Maybe you’re better at it than you realize or feel like you are.

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM

…it’s what you said!……..it’s like Bmore thinking he’s not artistic or talented.

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Oh, you too, CyberCipher.

Barred on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Maybe I should just put tomato cages on all the plants?

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Yep. I do.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Guys look! There is a hot chick waving at me! Look; right over there!

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

LOL…ok that made me spittle…not coffee but sherbert/cool whip and sprinkles….ROFLMAO

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

You’ve always struck me as the “Dazzle ‘em with Brilliance” type, COL–baffling folks with BS is better left for lesser beings.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Y’all would’ve been very proud of me.
Since this the last full week of classes- Tech has allowed different university organizations to set up booths in the area outside of the student union building.

I couldn’t find my son’s organization’s booth-so I started asking around. I stopped at this one table where a woman who was at least my age-maybe older- was handing out lemonade or something.

She told me that all the booths were in the ‘free speech zone’.
At THAT point I spread my arms wide and told her that the whole campus should be a ‘free speech zone’.
She didn’t like that response at all.
Her (in a very snitty way): Well it isn’t!
Me:And that is Fascist BULLSH8T!

I stormed off.

My son asked me please to not get into it w/ people-since he still has roughly 2 years left. His friends-however-were quite impressed. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Well, that settles it–Steve, you’re a keeper!!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

I wouldn’t go that far.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM

That sounds appealing… o_O

Wait–chocolate or rainbow?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Get with the program, rubes.

Next, they’ll rename St. Paul to something that includes Muhammad.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I wondered.

Just stay on him until you persuade him to try again. ;)

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Now that’s funny.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I’m a little bit of a thing who flat-out refuses to be censored by the left.
They liked that.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Ratso didn’t want a shower?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Nope, he was just following instructions to bite OC every time he lights a cig…good Ratso, good.

Ratso, if he goes out to smoke again, execute order #66…<—-insert evil laugh here….

Doc Holliday on April 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM

um, there is only chocolate in my house.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM

OmahaConservative on April 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM
I know. It surprised me most of all. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Welcome, Cyber’s collie. We rarely see you here at night.

Barred on April 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM

My collie says:

The canine cognition studies keep me busy. Most of the human researchers are a bit slow on the uptake. It eats up a LOT of my time.

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Sick ‘em, Twerp!

Doc Holliday on April 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM

That’s cool…I like Affirmative Action sprinkles, too… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

What kind of subject matter? And what’s the audience?

I’ve written a few things, and I don’t think of myself as being strong in it either. I can do creative writing well enough. Just kick my right brain side into high gear.

But most of my work/study material is data-oriented. When I write about that subject matter, it comes out so overly-analytical that it bores people to tears.

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:08 PM

That sounds vaguely familiar…when I wrote that is.

And don’t even think about sticking a microphone in my face.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

You taught them something. Let’s hope you taught some others who might have been listening. It’s good that there are people like you who are not cowed by bullies and aren’t afraid to speak their minds. I’ve always been irked by people who accuse someone of being opinionated. That usually just means you don’t have the same opinion they do.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

I still haven’t been able to call them “jimmies.” lol

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

And folks should be able to buy and use a flag for any purpose they please.

First Amendment has to all or nothing.

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM

You’re like me in that respect, yes?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

wolly4321 on April 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Out of curiosity-I went on the federal obamscare site to see what we would be looking at if we didn’t have insurance.
EVEN w/ the deducts that will happen next year-our insurance will still be much much better than ANYTHING we could get through the exchange.
Puts everything into perspective.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

What kind of subject matter? And what’s the audience?

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

I never tried creative writing. I’m hyper-analytical.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Maybe that’s what my cats are doing when they sit and stare. Feline cognition studies.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I didn’t write the US flag code.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I am now a great uncle.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

BRB…Kitchen dooty…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

You’re like me in that respect, yes?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Something like that.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

that’s good to know ALT.

I’m still afraid of what’s going to happen to employer coverage a couple of years out.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I am now a great uncle.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Congratulations!

*clink*

predator on April 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I am now a great uncle.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Congrats.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Many Cograts! Nephew or Niece?

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

congrats Ken. Boy or girl?

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Bribery will get you everywhere, Ken

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I am now a great uncle.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Congrats Ken!

*clink*
PROST!

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Girl. Megan.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

*clink!*

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I never tried creative writing. I’m hyper-analytical.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I know what that is like…detail overload!

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

And another *clink*

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I am now a great uncle.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Outstanding!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM

…I was like that twerp at my kids school functions…because I don’t like bullshit or put up with bullshit…until it cost my daughter a couple of 4.0′s on a couple of card markings…(from the teachers… I was being cute too)…I shut up after that…(it wasn’t her fault, she was distraught) …I knew what I had to do…and after apologizing to the 2 low-life’s when I ran into them in a different public setting…she had the same teachers the next year…though her work was the same…she now deserved an ‘A’….somehow!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:11 Pm

For being an adandoning Mom,, you seem quite involved.

Most of us with common sense understood to begin with.

wolly4321 on April 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Well done, Ken!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM

China will surpass the U.S. as the largest economy on earth sometime later this year.

My collie says:

Should we care?

It’s another proud accomplishment of the Obama administration.

My collie says:

Hooray. We’re number 2!

I seem to detect just a hint of sarcasm in your enthusiasm, comrade collie.

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I like basketball but i hate these punks with stupid hats!

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I didn’t write the US flag code.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM

The US Flag code is advisory information on the handling of the flag. It is technically a law, but is unenforceable and besides, you’re not law enforcement.

Men and women fight and die for an ideal, not a piece of cloth. And that ideal is that you can express your opinions without fear of intimidation from others or imprisonment from your government.

Again, the First Amendment must be all or nothing.

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

And another *clink*

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Ok *clink*

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

All kids are a gift, but girls are precious…they truly are.

Raise her up right, now.

lineholder on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Sad isn’t it. This country now just seems to “settle.” sigh

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Again, the First Amendment must be all or nothing.

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

This.

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Hi Collie – did your master take off the leash?

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM

jrsrigmvr on April 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Hi Fred (waving)

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Congratulations!

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Sad isn’t it. This country now just seems to “settle.” sigh

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

More like sink.

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

i don’t live in a gun free zone

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Sad isn’t it. This country now just seems to “settle.” sigh

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Yeah. Obama could run for a third term… and win.

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Evening Schad (waving at ya too)

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM

But…but…but, I thought healthcare spending was supposed to decrease!!!

WTH?!?!

Also, very interesting they use this as a positive when the news about how many enrolled actually paid their premiums…

ladyingray on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Again, the First Amendment must be all or nothing.

NativeTexan on April 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM

You make a good point.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM

KCB on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

*clink*

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Hi Fred (waving)

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Hi CL waving back with a jack and coke in the other hand.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

touché

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I’ve had a few people tell me this week, it’s catching up to him (O). I think it’s not come to that yet. I pray I’m wrong.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM

jrsrigmvr on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Evenin’, Fred! Great to see you!

How’s Dear Mrs Fred doing tonight? Better, I hope and trust…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Hi CL waving back with a jack and coke in the other hand.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on April 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Young man, you’d best be done moving rigs for the day!

Murphy9 on April 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Good for you Fred. You deserve one.

ladyingray on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Spin, spin, spin….MSM cheerleaders.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:34 PM

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM

That is when the whole thing will hit critical mass and collapse , unless it is ” saved” by commiecare a k a single payer.
The last time I went through that thing with a few legal eagles, there was so much of
” the secretary shall determine/regulate at a later date” crap that the employer mandate seemed to be just a glob of dough waiting to be baked with no oven in sight.
Other than the typical communist magic number of 30 hours, 40 hours and 50 employees, everything is intentionally left fluid and uncertain, even the yearly rate of increase of penalties .

burrata on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM

crankyoldlady on April 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM

The great depression had an unemployment rate of 22%, the current real unemployment rate is 26%. During the Great Depression everyone knew it was a depression because of the soup lines, today we have hidden those soup lines behind the curtain of EBT cards. The Government seizes peoples houses for as little as $6.30.

The only reason we are not in another even Greater Depression than the Great Depression, is, that Mordor on the Potomac and the Fifth Column Treasonous Media are lying about our being in a Great Depression.

oscarwilde on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM

My collie says:

We no longer have time to lead the economies of the world. After all, we got more important stuff to do. You know. Like monitor the phone calls of senile old billionaires to find if they are saying something racist to their girlfriends.

CyberCipher on April 30, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Hi CL – welcome to Zimbabwe, er the new USA.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I’m usually not up this late, and it’s showing. Guess that’s my exit cue.

Good night.

Steve Eggleston on April 30, 2014 at 11:38 PM

burrata on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM

yes, that was the plan all along…the much revered “single-payer system”

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2014 at 11:38 PM

burrata on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM

We all remember what happened to the Democrat party after the Civil War–no Dem POTUS presidency for a good 50 years–other than Stephen Grover Cleveland, that is.

And look what happened once the Dems started to win elections…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 30, 2014 at 11:38 PM