Harry Reid: Now that the NBA’s banned Donald Sterling, the NFL should force the Redskins to change their name

posted at 7:51 pm on April 30, 2014 by Allahpundit

If there’s any politician you can trust to play with matches around the social powderkeg that is l’affaire Sterling, it’s a steady, low-key, diplomatic presence like Harry Reid.

It seems like only yesterday that Mark Cuban was warning about a slippery-slope problem in which owners would be increasingly policed for committing thoughtcrimes. It wasn’t yesterday, though. It was Monday.

“It is untoward of Daniel Snyder to try to hide behind tradition. Tradition? That’s what he says in refusing to change the name of the team,” Reid said. “Tradition? What tradition? A tradition of racism is all that name leaves in its wake. Mr. Snyder knows that in sports the only tradition that matters is winning, so I urge Daniel Snyder to do what’s morally right and remove this degrading term from the league by changing his team’s name.”

Reid said it’s also the responsibility of the NFL to remove the name from the league.

“Since Snyder fails to show any leadership, the National Football League should take an assist from the NBA and pick up the slack. It would be a slam dunk,” he added. “For far too long, the NFL has been sitting on its hands doing nothing while an entire population of Americans has been denigrated.”

Sterling clearly does disdain blacks. Snyder, by contrast, claims that “Redskins” is an honorific. Does Snyder’s intent matter to Reid and the Lords of Progress? Read Ace’s post from earlier this month for the answer.

I go back and forth in trying to decide whether Reid’s involvement in something like the “Redskins” fracas is helpful or not to the team’s defenders. On the one hand, he’s a repulsive human in every way; can’t hurt to have him as the face of the opposition. On the other hand, as of a year ago, the public was overwhelmingly in Snyder’s corner, with 79 percent saying that the team should keep the name. The whole point of the left’s anti-Redskins push over the last two years or so is to change that, and one easy way to do it is to polarize it along partisan lines. That’ll get you to 45-50 percent, at least, and that’s why Reid’s availing himself of the Senate floor to push the idea. If I’m Dan Snyder, I’m cutting a million-dollar check to Americans for Prosperity today just as a middle finger to Dingy Harry here, but maybe he figures it’s best not to feed a troll this voracious.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Did I miss something? Has Dan Snyder ever disrespected American Indians? Do the fans, who sing ‘Hail to the Redskins’, disrespect American Indians. Do the native children at Red Mesa HS feel disrespected because their school is emblazoned with ‘Home of the Redskins’? The Redskins name is where we must make a stand and stop this liberal slide into fascism. Every day we are witnessing our rights being peeled away because someone finds our thoughts or acts or words offensive. A perpetually offended minority are dismantling the individual constitutional rights of every American.

I stand with Dan! Hail to the Redskins forever!

fight like a girl on May 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Meow. I have a cat problem. Her name is Bobby. Please advise. She is hanging around the house too much as of late. I worry for my better half’s kittycat Ringo. I don’t want to be in the dog house. Take Bobby now? Or just hope she wonders off?

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Sorry Meow, guess that should have read, wanders. ; )

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I’ll check back for your advice. I promise.

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM

…because changing the redskins name will solve unemployment, shrink government, lower taxes, and get rid of o’commiecare.

Yep.

Crawl back into your coffin harry.

Diluculo on May 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Diluculo on May 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++

^^^ This. I wonder if the thought ever appears in Harry’s walnut sized brain that he should, IDK, represent the interests of his constituents…

fabrexe on May 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Reid is so yesterday. Way, way, way yesterday.

HiJack on May 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM

By all means feed on the publicity success of one artificially contrived crises to revive another that has already failed. But I see the point–let’s eliminate Indian names, period! Last year’s NCAA Footbal Champions the Florida State Seminoles can be changed to the sound alike Florida State Seminals–’seminal’ denoti9ng ‘virility’.

States such as Illinois, Delaware, Minnesota, Alabama, Mississippi, both Dakotas, and many more must perforce change their names also-as well as lakes named ‘Winnipesaukee”Huron’ and ‘Michigan’ or rivers named ‘Missouri’ and ‘Merrimac’. The same applies to universities, state or private, which have Indian names such as ‘Massachusetts’ and ‘Connecticut’.

After Indian names let’s eliminate the names prejudicial to animals-making them appear mean and fierce and thus discriminated against such as lions, tigers, bears, eagles, panthers etc. Example this years NCAA basketball champions the Connecticut Huskies will henceforth be called the Greater New York Hustlers.

MaiDee on May 1, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Doesn’t this old gleep have a slot machine to repair somewhere?

jbspry on May 1, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Harry, you senile old man, you need to be educated:

At Kingston Oklahoma high school, which is 58 percent Native American, the name ‘Redskins’ has been worn by its students for 104 years. In fact, ‘Redskins’ was a name first used by Native Americans.”

When the team moved to Fenway park in 1932, the name was changed from the Braves to the Redskins, to honor then coach Lone Star Dietz, an American Sioux.

So, dimwit Harry, the name was meant to honor, not deride.

sadatoni on May 1, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Harry should buy the team and rename it the Foreskins, in honor of himself.

NoPain on May 1, 2014 at 8:01 AM

MaiDee on May 1, 2014 at 1:47 AM

As a descendant of Swedes, I am indeed offended that the name ‘Vikings’ is attached to this team…

Ricard on May 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Reid is a certified fool and should stfu.

rplat on May 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM

UNLV “Runnin’ Rebels?”

Anyone?

elowe on May 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Uhm, there are slam dunks in NFL?

PBH on May 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM

And the voters should change Lord Harry’s title from Senate Majority Leader to Senate Minority Leader.

billsheck on May 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM

I would see if there are any wildlife sanctuaries in your area. (Ringo’s vet would know). They have people who are trained to catch your beautiful but potentially dangerous visitor, and facilities to keep her. If you can tell she is female, can you tell if she is nursing? This might be the season for her to be raising a litter.

I would be worried for Ringo too. Keep him inside.

RushBaby on May 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM

RushBaby on May 1, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Thanks! Yes per some of the advice I have received thus far. It seems if I surround the area with a concoction of eucalyptus, lemon and vicks vapor rub, she may stop visiting. Trapping her is out. She is probably caring for cubs so I don’t wish to harm that. True Ringos best chance is to be kept inside. He will be so pissed. Lolz! I’ll keep you updated as to how it all goes. She, (Bobby) is a beauty. Just a wee bit too friendly. I can empathize with her on that front. Meow has even accused me of that. ; ) Thanks again!

Bmore on May 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM

The Wall Street Journal’s Jason Riley, put it best: “Put A Sock In It, Harry.”

flataffect on May 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM