Kerry: Hey, I don’t think Israel is an apartheid state … yet

posted at 12:01 pm on April 29, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

After an avalanche of criticism across the political spectrum, Secretary of State John Kerry backed away from his use of “apartheid” in his criticism of Israel — but declined to apologize for it. Instead, Kerry blamed “partisan political purposes” in the criticism, even though members of his own party joined in the criticism, including his former Senate colleague Barbara Boxer (D-CA):

“I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone, particularly for partisan, political purposes, so I want to be crystal clear about what I believe and what I don’t believe,” Kerry said after U.S. lawmakers and pro-Israel groups criticized him, with some demanding his resignation or at least an apology.

“First, Israel is a vibrant democracy and I do not believe, nor have I ever stated, publicly or privately, that Israel is an apartheid state or that it intends to become one,” he said.

“Second, I have been around long enough to also know the power of words to create a misimpression, even when unintentional, and if I could rewind the tape, I would have chosen a different word to describe my firm belief that the only way in the long term to have a Jewish state and two nations and two peoples living side by side in peace and security is through a two-state solution,” Kerry said.

CBS notes that Kerry came in for plenty of Republican criticism. Eric Cantor, for instance, demanded an apology:

However, criticism wasn’t limited to that side of the aisle:

Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer of California was also critical of Kerry’s comment, saying on Twitter, “Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East and any linkage between Israel and apartheid is nonsensical and ridiculous.”

DCCC chair Steve Israel (D-NY) rejected the idea that this was a political attack on Kerry, too:

A few news outlets called this an “apology,” but it’s pretty weak sauce, even if it includes the “if I could rewind the tape” phrase of regret. This sounds like a cross between the standard political non-apology apologies of “I’m sorry if you were offended” and “I’m sorry you’re too stupid to recognize my brilliance.” Given the utter debacle of American foreign policy under Kerry’s tenure and that of his predecessor Hillary Clinton, Kerry’s implicit invocation of his own brilliance is even more arrogant than it normally would be.

Remember …. this is Barack Obama’s top diplomat. Smart power, indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

John kerry should resign…He’s unfit for the office of Sec. of State.

But we all knew that…

workingclass artist on April 29, 2014 at 1:01 PM

…he was unfit for senator of Massa…never mind!……..they have High Cheeks!

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM

The thing is, you are calling a man who has explicitly denied being a Marxist a liar.

oscarwilde on April 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM

My friend, what he does/types, not what he denies…see obama too.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM

oscarwilde on April 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM

…what if ‘he’…the man… doesn’t know any better?

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM

oscarwilde on April 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM

To be clear. I have not called the Pope a liar.

I call him what he is, a marxist.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM

He won’t resign look at the corruption in Marxachusetts with the DCF and EBT scandals. They will only resign if a big enough pile of dead bodies can’t be covered up.

Look at Benghazi. No impeachment or even a serious investigation. Look at the IRS, NSA, DoJ and EPA scandals and yet Zero is still president.

How much corruption and incompetence can the corrupt media stand before they find themselves in a permanent state of nausea?

dogsoldier on April 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM

In last month’s document, seen as a platform for his papacy, Francis attacked unfettered capitalism as “a new tyranny” said an “economy of exclusion and inequality” had proven to be deadly for many people around the world.

In his response to the critics, Francis said he was not speaking “as a technician but according to the social doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church, and this does not mean being Marxist”. He said he was just trying to present a “snapshot of what is happening” in the world today.

oscarwilde on April 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I read that document and batted it with Morrissey a little. It doesn’t condemn “unfettered capitalism,” it condemns Capitalism. It talks about government redistribution of wealth, something he’s still talking about. And it uses the political and economic terms of art taught to us by the Communists. It’s overtly political language.

. . . wait, this is a hijack.

The Pope’s a Socialist.

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM

dogsoldier on April 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM

…seems to be an unlimited supply of Benadryl…I think it’s ‘free’ for journalists….under ObamaCare!

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Kerry blamed “partisan political purposes”

Yeah, like Johnny never engaged in such actions.

HYPOCRITE!

GarandFan on April 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM

it’s ‘free’ for journalists….under ObamaCare!
KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM

And a wide range of “mood enhancing” pharmacopeia too.

dogsoldier on April 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM

“I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone, …”

Hey I thought Obama was King. You can only have one King(unless you are in Sparta). Can you imagine these two running Sparta? They would be ground to dust in less than a day.

warmairfan on April 29, 2014 at 1:27 PM

1. Where is this unfettered capitalism? I need to move there.

2. Pope criticizes free economies as deadly, then passes offering plate

BobMbx on April 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM

For Kerry, alas

Rattlesnake Logic floater, not original…

After the Boston bombing the news media has spent days and weeks trying to determine why these men did what they did. They want to know what America did to make these brothers so angry with us. They want to know why these men were not arrested before they did something so terrible. The media is in a tizzy about this new era of homegrown radicals, and about why they could live among us and still hate us.

A friend of mine from Texas explained it all to me: “Here in west Texas I have rattlesnakes on my place, living among us. I have killed a rattlesnake on the front porch. I have killed a rattlesnake on the back porch. I have killed rattlesnakes in the barn, in the shop and on the driveway. In fact, I kill every rattlesnake I encounter.

I kill rattlesnakes because I know a rattlesnake will bite me and inject me with poison. I don’t stop to wonder why a rattlesnake will bite me; I know it will bite me because it’s a rattlesnake and that’s what rattlesnakes do. I don’t try to reason with a rattlesnake…I just kill it. I don’t try to get to know the rattlesnake better so I can find a way to live with the rattlesnakes and convince them not to bite me. I just kill them. I don’t quiz a rattlesnake to see it I can find out where the other snakes are, because (a) it won’t tell me, and (b) I already know they live on my place. So, I just kill the rattlesnake and move on to the next one.

I don’t look for ways I might be able to change the rattlesnake to a non-poisonous rat snake…I just kill it. Oh, and on occasion, I accidentally kill a rat snake because I thought it was a rattlesnake at the time. Also, I know, for every rattlesnake I kill, two more are lurking out there in the brush. In my lifetime I will never be able to rid my place of rattlesnakes. Do I fear them? No!

Do I respect what they can do to me? Yes! And because of that respect I give them the fair justice they deserve…. I kill them…”

Maybe as a country we should start giving more thought to the fact that these jihadists’ are just like rattlesnakes, and act accordingly!

I love this country; it’s the damn government I’m afraid of!

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Rattlesnake logic

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM

That is my kind of thinking. Thanks for sharing that.

captnjoe on April 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Kerry voted for Israel before he voted against it.

hadsil on April 29, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Eric Cantor, for instance, demanded an apology:

And I, the B@st@rd Operator From Hell demand Eric Cantor apologize for the damage that he and his GOP “leadership” (spit) colleagues are doing to this country. See how this works? Talk is indeed cheap.

bofh on April 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM

The thing that finally woke me up to the fact that America’s foreign policy has become radically dishonest is that all the time we fight the global war on terror, we continue to import Muslims en mass into our countries.

The left agrees that American foreign policy is dishonest now, but it makes up phony reasons why that is so, and says it always was. (Because capitalism is corrupt, and Communism of course is so trustworthy…)

In reality, Western foreign policy for a long time was pretty honest. We were not importing Communists en mass all the time fought Communism, because we actually wanted to win. We descended into lies over Vietnam, and paid bitterly for it, but Ronald Reagan got things back on track.

Since the fall of the Soviet Union, Western foreign policy has gotten radically dishonest, worse than the lies of Vietnam, and there is no Reagan even trying to get things back on track.

David Blue on April 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Caroline Glick, April 6th, JPost Conference in NY. Must watch.

gh on April 29, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Rattlesnake logic

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM

That is my kind of thinking. Thanks for sharing that.

captnjoe on April 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Mine, too.

avagreen on April 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM

In reality, Western foreign policy for a long time was pretty honest. We were not importing Communists en mass all the time [edit: we]fought Communism, because we actually wanted to win. We descended into lies over Vietnam, and paid bitterly for it, but Ronald Reagan got things back on track.

David Blue on April 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Thank you for putting this so succinctly.

avagreen on April 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Thank you for putting this so succinctly.

avagreen on April 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Thank you. The compression and emphasis was good editing.

David Blue on April 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM

He’s representing Obama, and doing a great job of it.

Remember Obama crony and supporter who launched his political career, Bill Ayers, was in a seminar in 2010 that called Israel an “apartheid state.” This is who Obama is and what he believes. It’s why Obama has NEVER called for a single concession from the islamists in Palestine, Egypt, or Iran.

Also, he has made the United States look weak and ineffective, bumbling, and stupid. Our international influence is at a 100 year low.

That’s Obama’s goal. John Kerry deserves a medal for faithfully carrying out his boss’ policies to the letter and spirit.

Then we hang them all for treason (after fair and impartial trials, of course). Including Jen Psaki, she must not reproduce.

Adjoran on April 29, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Has he resigned yet? Has he been fired yet? Exactly. Intentional.

Bmore on April 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Vox is fiction now

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Opera tonight. ; )

Bmore on April 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Obama… err, I mean Kerry has always been a gaffe master. Wait, Obama hired Kerry. They should both apologize and then resign. Well, maybe not Obama. Then we’d have the Biden or worse Boner.

MrX on April 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

what’s left? A deal with Hizzbolla?

Rea1ityCheck on April 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Sadly there’s not been an adult with a functioning brain as Sec of State since Codi Rice

russedav on April 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM

“I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone…”

I will not allow my patriotism to be questioned…

I will not allow my service to be questioned…

Does this guy have any other notes on his sheet of music?

claudius on April 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM

claudius on April 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM

No. Brain damage will do that to you.

The long jaw and no lips on the mouth whatsoever is a ……tip off.

avagreen on April 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM

What an idiot secretary of state…arrrgh…will we ever return to normalcy…

jimver on April 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM

…will we ever return to normalcy…

jimver on April 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM

For that to happen, the river of third world mass immigration has to be reversed.

If the river halts but does not reverse: this is the new normal.

If the river neither halts nor reverses: you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

David Blue on April 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM