Dem congressman: Let’s face it, pretty much all criticism of Obama is racist

posted at 8:01 pm on April 29, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via BuzzFeed, deep thoughts from Rep. Bennie Thompson, adding his two cents on a Nation of Islam radio show to the characteristically thoughtful Conversation About Race that America’s having this week. It’s fun listening to this on the same day that Chris Lehane is defending the memo he wrote for the Clinton White House nearly 20 years ago about the “vast right-wing conspiracy” that was out to take down Billary. Every Democratic president, it seems, is the subject of unprecedented conservative vitriol, although Clinton at least could point to his eventual impeachment as evidence that it was true. Thompson’s case for O rests on the idea that it can’t, can’t be a coincidence that conservatives embraced a strong anti-government ethos right around the time that the first black president took office. Things would, presumably, have been different had Hillary squeaked through the Democratic primaries and beaten McCain in 2008 — despite the financial crisis and ensuing mega-bailout, despite the multi-spectrum failure of Bush’s second term, despite ideological jitters over the fact that Democrats had assumed total control of government at a moment of deep economic crisis. This guy seemingly cannot imagine anything but a magic-bullet explanation for the complex process of disillusionment by which a political party shifts ideologically. That’s not unusual for liberals, but in the past the magic bullet typically involved economics; Obama’s infamous bitter-clinger theory of why rural voters are passionate about religion, guns, and immigration is a classic example. Thompson wanted something cruder. He found it.

It’s a cold comfort to know, though, that we’re headed towards a (relative) golden age under President Hillary, whose whiteness will ensure the sort of muted partisanship and collegial congressional cheer for which Bill Clinton’s presidency is duly famous. This is just one of two clips, by the way; you can click the link up top and visit BuzzFeed to hear Thompson call Clarence Thomas an “Uncle Tom” in the other, in case you care.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Kissmygrits on April 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM

It seems to me that people base everything in the world on their own experiences and we let the people who have had the most dramatic/horrific experiences set the tone and agenda. I’m like you, I was a kid through these changes but my experiences, even within my hometown, differ vastly from a friend the same age. Shouldn’t it have dawned on the powers that be at some point that one size doesn’t fit all?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I am glad to see that commenters agree that the congressman’s assumption that “pretty much all criticism of Obama is racist” is ludicrous. But what I find ironic is a lot if the commenters who find his way of thinking simplistic are the first to declare pretty much all criticism of Israeli policies anti-Semitic.

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Lets face it this man is a moron

neyney on April 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Not all infants are in the maternity ward, I guess. It’s becoming awkward listening to the pathetic “defense” that the left puts forward, to prop up their so-called leader. For eight years they hammered on Bush, relentlessly. And you know what? Bush stood there and took it all, and still does. I doubt that most libs even believe half of what they’re saying about the Republicans, but they have no rational arguments to give. Put a black conservative in the WH, and you won’t see much criticism, if any, from the right. You don’t hear any conservatives trying to undercut Dr. Ben Carson, Mia Love, or Thomas Sowell. The lib babies who think Obama is the first president in the history of EVER, to get strongly criticized, are embarrassing themselves. Like Michelle Malkin says, “Call a WAHHHHHHMBULANCE!”

NevadaD on April 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Think quantity rather than quality.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The tea party didn’t help their cause with the association of Bundy.
They need to hire Glenn Beck as a fulltime consultant.

weedisgood on April 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Rep. Bennie Thompson – another dim bulb with a highly selective memory.

GarandFan on April 30, 2014 at 10:06 AM

rogerb on April 30, at 8:23 AM

Dang it Roger! Every time you do that I have to clean troll brain matter off my computer!

Of course, there is thankfully little to clean.

questionmark on April 30, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Apparently idiots elected the idiot Benie.

jake49 on April 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM

So, where is the highlight reel of this guy calling W a fascist?

Hucklebuck on April 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Who knew bowels could be such good insulators and sound proofers…

PatHenry on April 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM

weedisgood on April 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The Tea Party was at the Bundy ranch?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM

In 2017 after Ayers Obama pens his new book Dreams of My Dreams of Me, there will be a chapter exclusively addressing his pis-poor performance as POTUS.

I’m sure the chapter will be titled, My White Dark side

Here’s an excerpt:

Never one to focus solely on myself, in 2015 while showing Jay Z my personal codes for engaging or responding to thermonuclear war in the West Wing, I could not help wondering why some could not recognize my awesomeness.
I grappled with their negativity ever since my first day in office, but I’ve never truly contemplated a possible underlying reason for my supposed failures. After all, they may be right, I may have been less than stellar in their eyes. I may have caused them great grief, insecurity, and wads of cash.
Then it hit me all at once as I was staring at a framed portrait of G. Gordon Liddy – it’s my white side that caused their anxiety, their anger. It was my white side which could of no doubt was responsible for my bad decisions, bad policy, and general bad attitude towards those who questioned my enema-like style of governance; this fundamental transformation.
Those past experiences with my white socialist grandparents and their occasional bigoted remarks had exposed what I should have believed all along; my white side had been sullied by genetic bigotry which I was unaware of till now.
My father, Frank Marshall Davis decent and just genetic traits were obviously overpowered by their dominant white traits. I was shocked to discover that even white genes oppress minority ones. I now understand that my supposed failures were simply due to my white dark side.

Look for this book to be sold right next to Sandra Flukes 2015 auto-biography “Your hot dog, my hallway” at fine bookstores in the future.

StubbornGreenBurros on April 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I am beginning to see a pattern here with this moron. Everything in life has a ratio to it’s base group whether its alcohol to drunks or baseball pitchers to their leagues average stats. The black caucus has the highest ratio of really dumb offensive members to the group as a whole than any other political group in existence. What does this say about the people who vote for them?

inspectorudy on April 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM

jake49 on April 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM

You should see a map of Corrine Brown’s district.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 10:20 AM

“I never saw George Bush treated like this. I never saw Bill Clinton treated like this, with such disrespect.”

Hmmm, I guess he was blind and deaf when Bush was president…..

redguy on April 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

If they start with words like “apartheid”, or declaring that the Palestinian leadership really wants peace, then you really don’t have to go any further to see the anti-semitism.

GWB on April 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM

So, the same President that enjoyed a 70% approval rating, something that isn’t even remotely possible without a large share of the white population, is now facing a racist country that doesn’t like him because he’s half black.

Wha!!!!!!!

Only in liberal lala land are these metrics possible.

Michh on April 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM

This idiot is so blinded by the color of his skin he cannot see anything else. The founders of our country would be appalled by these small mindless idiots running this country.

savage24 on April 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The Tea Party was at the Bundy ranch?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Waving nazi flags and spitting on black people, no doubt.

CurtZHP on April 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Um… Yes, both Clinton and Bush were indeed treated with a measure of disrespect by their opposition. I would even argue it was a greater level of disrespect in some instances, Bush was called Hitler by mainstream left wing activists for goodness sake! Obama is not special in this regard and not all opposition to him is racist. Congressman Thompson would greatly benefit from being a little less sensitive and take some time to actually listen to the opposition.

joshleguern on April 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Obama doesn’t seem to know the difference between “love” and “rspect.”
They “love” Obama, but done “rspect” him.

J_Crater on April 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hey, Thompson, I guess it takes a racist to know a racist, ya think??

Bob Davis on April 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I guarantee that during the next president’s term, all Dems will swear that Obama got the worst media treatment ever.

The media just never gave Obama a chance, they were so hard on him.

Moesart on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Bush was a bum. Obama is much much worse. If Obama were white, he would be treated much worse than he has been. He is getting off easy because of his race

burt on April 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Moesart on April 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

That’s a lot of pictures with photoshopped halos to destroy. Better start now.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM

“A whining crying race may be pitied but seldom respected.”
~ Booker T. Washington

“The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows;
it is what a man or woman is able to do that counts.”
~ Booker T. Washington

“I am afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public.”
~ My Larger Education (1911) Booker T. Washington (1856–1915)

SpiderMike on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

CurtZHP on April 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I thought Mr. Bundy’s bodyguard was the only black dude there.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

OK, I’ll say it, and you don’t want to hear it.

Bush had the media in his pocket after 911, and until about 2005.

Hell, it was practically illegal to say anything negative about Bush in public in this country until 2004.

No one wants to remember this now. They swear Bush was beat up by the media for 9 years. It’s just not true.

Moesart on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

WASHINGTON — Stop whining, Mr. President.

And stop whiffing.

Don’t whinge off the record with columnists and definitely don’t do it at a press conference with another world leader. It is disorienting to everybody, here at home and around the world.

I empathize with you about being thin-skinned. When you hate being criticized, it’s hard to take a giant steaming plate of “you stink” every day, coming from all sides. But you convey the sense that any difference on substance is lèse-majesté.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Moesart on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I think to a degree that’s correct. He was treated with kid gloves about 9/11 until he decided to do something about it. Everybody loves a victim.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Hmmm, I guess he was blind and deaf when Bush was president…..

redguy

Selective memory, most certainly.

If forced to revisit the treatment Bush received, he’d tell you “Bush deserved what he got” and therefore it was not “disrespect.”

BD57 on April 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM

another black racist pig.

ultracon on April 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM

We are all racists now.

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Well that’s actually true – we ARE all racists.

everdiso on April 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM

They swear Bush was beat up by the media for 9 years. It’s just not true.

Moesart on April 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Have to disagree with you on this one-they started beating up on him right after the Supreme Court “stole” the election from Gore in Florida; they all immediately rushed down there to recount all of the ballots for themselves to try and prove it.

And when Bush was inaugurated, his first job approval poll number was…46%, which is not much different than O’bama now.

Del Dolemonte on April 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM

The tea party didn’t help their cause with the association of Bundy.
They need to hire Glenn Beck as a fulltime consultant.
weedisgood on April 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

It’s spelled TEA and is an acronym. We have nothing to with the drink made from leaves.

Nutstuyu on April 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM

weedisgood on April 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The lack of sense displayed in your comments gives pot smokers a bad name…

zoyclem on April 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Well that’s actually true – we ARE all racists.

everdiso on April 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM

That is certainly true with you. If you meant that people in general stereotype behaviors, you might have had a point. But that’s not what you said, and I doubt that is what you meant.

zoyclem on April 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM

NEWSFLASH

You have to earn respect to actually deserve to get respect.

This guy and all his buddies have done nothing to earn anyone’s respect.

Ever.

Diluculo on April 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Well that’s actually true – we ARE all racists.

everdiso on April 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Disagree. I’d say everyone is prejudice to one degree or another, but racism is hatred of other races, not just a dislike or lack of desire to associate with other races.

It’s not a fine line at all. The leftist loons are all about redefining everything for the maximum outrage. Scumbags.

Diluculo on April 30, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Sadly, when you remove all other possible explanations, racism is the only explanation left.

Frank Lib on April 30, 2014 at 7:57 AM

There is no need to remove all other possible explanations unless you have prejudged the outcome.

The explanation: ‘The criticism is just and merited’, does not have to be removed as a possible explanation, and it has plenty of factual support.

s1im on April 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM

coolrepublica on April 30, 2014 at 9:50

You evidently are obsessed with the JOOS, you bring Israel and the Jews up even in unrelated posts…

jimver on April 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM

The real reason Obama receives such negative criticism has nothing to do with the color of his skin, but everything to do with his absolute incompetence as a world leader, and his liberal and socialist leanings. He has spearheaded the effort to force his signature healthcare legislation on Americans, and has generally ensured that everything he touches is doomed to failure.

Were some other “black” president in office, for instance, someone who is talented, skilled, and adept in the execution of the office of President, I don’t think there would be anywhere near the level of criticism that has been directed at Obama.

Members of Congress as well as the media have continuously played the “race card” regarding the President, but what they’re really doing is attempting to hide his incompetence and chalk it up to all of us being racists. Sorry, that old dog won’t hunt anymore.

kcruiser on May 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM