Confirmed: Original cast returning for Star Wars VII

posted at 5:21 pm on April 29, 2014 by Allahpundit

Plus some newbies, of course. The biggest surprise? Ben Affleck as Boba Fett.

No, no, I kid. Anyway, I for one look forward to seeing my childhood idols ruthlessly diminished by age.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, “We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”

You know how I feel about this. If the original crew ends up as peripheral characters, it’ll feel like stunt-casting. You’ll get the big Han reveal at the beginning (audience ovation) followed by 20 or so minutes of twinkly-eyed mentorship of some younger, less charismatic character sprinkled throughout. Meh. If instead the original crew ends up as main characters, it’ll be the first ever sci-fi flick with senior citizens as its nucleus. (Well, maybe not the very first.) How’d you like to be one of the younger, lesser-known stars competing with Luke Skywalker for audience attention? How do you build a new franchise on people like that going forward? Unless these actors are exceptional, they’re going to be swallowed alive by the nostalgia surrounding Harrison, Mark, and Carrie. Maybe J.J. Abrams should have insisted on major stars in every role to hedge against that.

The more I think about it, though, the greater the odds that people will be pleasantly surprised by the results. It’s purely a matter of expectations. At first, everyone was excited to hear that a new “Star Wars” movie was coming. Then they were excited to find that Abrams was in charge. Then they were excited to discover that everyone from the first movie was coming back. Now the backlash will begin: It can’t possibly be as good as we hope. In fact, given the precedent set by the prequels, it might very well be terrible. Who wants to see Han Solo with gray hair and Chewbacca using a walker? It’s going to stink stink stink. And then it’ll be in theaters and it’ll be good-ish and everyone will decide that it’s so far above expectations that they should make a dozen more, even if Ford gets so old that he looks like Yoda. And so they’ll make a dozen more, and most of those will stink stink stink. But it’ll all have been worth it for that first Han reveal, amirite?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

They’re gonna need some walkers…

sandee on April 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Great, kid. Don’t get cocky.

John the Libertarian on April 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Star Wars VII: The Retirement Home.

Bitter Clinger on April 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

She’ll hold together. C’mon, baby, hold together.

John the Libertarian on April 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Lol.

Best blogger at the site. Funny.

bluegill on April 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

It’s Star Wars.

It can’t be bad.

Bigbullets on April 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Tragic.

Pork-Chop on April 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Who wants to see Han Solo with gray hair and Chewbacca using a walker?

Me. I would pay extra to see Han Solo take off his dentures.

coolrepublica on April 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Lol.

Best blogger on the site. Funny.

bluegill on April 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Director J.J. Abrams

Is there nothing this guy won’t destroy?

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Max von Sydow will be chewing scenery long after all of us have turned to dust…

JohnGalt23 on April 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I saw the first three, more than once, and they were wonderful. I have no interest in any of the others.

Lolo on April 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I quit watching after the first three.

tdarrington on April 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Why I can hardly wait… it will be assured to be so awe inspiring, so wonderific, so stupendulous…

Wait, what was the topic again?

ajacksonian on April 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Well, Chewbacca was already using a walker in Return of the Jedi. He just took it from the Imperials. So even if he is using a walker in Episode VII, it’ll STILL be badass.

Princess Leia may be in her cups a bit more in Episode VII than she was in any of the original trilogy though…

Madcap_Magician on April 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM

So long as they’re determined to make Episode VII, I’m glad they’re bringing back the original cast. My main question is what plot can be left given that Episodes I-VI is all about the rise and fall of both Palpatine and Vader. Episode VI provides some true finality to the saga, so I don’t see where they’re going to go from here.

Just please, please, please, please, please don’t use the Expanded Universe. What a mess.

Stoic Patriot on April 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I couldn’t even stomach the re-imaginings.

tdarrington on April 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

cool, I’ll not watch it like all the others too.

dmacleo on April 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Where did you dig up that old fossil??

CurtZHP on April 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I was happy with what J.J. did with the Star Trek. That however was a reboot. I look forward to it. We shall see if he’s able to do Star Wars too. In my heart of hearts I don’t think this is going to be good.

TexasJack on April 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM

As a huge Star Wars geek I can’t wait.

My oldest will also be old enough to go with me to the midnight showing. Awesome.

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Bring back the ewoks!

John the Libertarian on April 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM

They should make it into a comedy with the original cast hanging out together.

Decoski on April 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Its not being made by George Lucas anymore. It cannot possibly be any worse than the prequels. Impossible.

Besides, Disney knows how much money it can bank with a terrific film. Disney will deliver.

El_Terrible on April 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

They’re gonna need some walkers…

sandee on April 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM

And not the ones in the Empire Strikes Back.

jim56 on April 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hey this is HotAir – old players – next generation family members?

That’s not allowed !!!

Yuk Yuk

jake-the-goose on April 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Well, it could be good. I guess.

scalleywag on April 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Think Carrie Fisher be rocking the Slave Leia outfit?

Lawdawg86 on April 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM

The biggest surprise? Ben Affleck as Boba Fett.

No, no, I kid

Oh pooh! If Batman can be doughy, why can’t Boba Fett?

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM

LOL, I think the first guess was correct: the original cast will mentor the newbies for the first twenty minutes, and the rest of the series will carry on. This movie will pass the torch. Star Trek, unlike Star Wars, was not about the action, but about the drama and crises running a starship while trying to save the universe. Star Wars is more of a myth, focusing on epic action.

If anything, Star Trek: Into Darkness was a preview–Abram’s audition for directing Episode VII

RockinRickOwen on April 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM

As my 7-year old son observed after watching the original set of Star Wars vs the last set (which actually take place in time before the original set)
“Why is the technology better earlier than it is later?”
Cooler space ships, etc, etc.

That will be the challenge. Will the technology presented in the new movie with the original cast be much further advanced than in the original movies? It shouldn’t be by much. 40 years later is all.

albill on April 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I’ll wait for the fan reviews before I decide to see it or not. Like Allah, I fear the worst, but life is full of surprises.

Splashman on April 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Original cast returning for Star Wars VII

What else to they have to do?

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I do NOT want to see Princess Leia trying to squeeze into her old slave girl bikini in an attempt to get old hubby Han fired up….

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Use the….I can’t remember…

It’s 3:30, where is my dinner. And close the door, you are letting the cold air and the Wampa’s in.

Oil Can on April 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Perhaps the best news (perhaps) is Lawrence Kasdan being the writer.

jake-the-goose on April 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’m not worried. J.J. Abrams did a great job with Star Trek with the new and old Spock together. I expect the same for Star Wars.

Like Star Trek, it’ll be a reboot.

May the force be with J.J.

WisRich on April 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Head shots

jake-the-goose on April 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

What else to they have to do?

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Yup. You just reminded me of something from the Honest Trailer for Indy 4: Karen Allen was credited as “Lucky to be here.”

Splashman on April 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Don’t forget Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Scotty, much as I love him, looks absolutely ridiculous running about in that one.

Shump on April 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Perhaps the best news (perhaps) is Lawrence Kasdan being the writer.

jake-the-goose on April 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Yeah – I was going to say allah left out this important point: the same guy who wrote V and VI wrote VII.

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:39 PM

It’s Star Wars.

It can’t be bad.

Bigbullets

Mesa caused mabbe one, two-y lettle bitty axadentes, huh? Yud-say boom da gassar, den crashin der boss’s heylibber, Den banished. -

xblade on April 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I’ve got a bad feeling about this….

Sefton on April 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM

If they stay pretty faithful to the books that have come out in that are based after Star Wars, then I can see this as being really cool. Considering those authors have to get Lucas’ approval before writing anything, and are forced to stay faithful to the world that Lucas created.

Leopard1996 on April 29, 2014 at 5:41 PM

xblade on April 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM

It will start with HIM leading the new young Skywalker/Solo kids and some young Ewoks on a Cub Scout camping trip, and…..

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Great kid! Don’t get cocky.

WisRich on April 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Just spitabllin’ here, but what if Greedo shoots first but Han suffers only a punctured colostomy bag. Then Han takes the offensive by beating the living crap our of Greedo with a rolled-up Readers Digest.

Cicero43 on April 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I don`t know. I think Ford has aged pretty well. Hamill and Fisher?……… YEESH!

ThePrez on April 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Is there nothing this guy won’t destroy?

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I thought he didn’t do too badly at Star Trek.

melle1228 on April 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM

TexasJack on April 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Like Star Trek, it’ll be a reboot.

May the force be with J.J.

WisRich on April 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

He made it stupid. He’ll make this stupid too. Lots of bangs and lights and — stupid.

He should be put into an airlock and flushed into deep space.

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Who doesn’t want to see the Millenium Falcon fly around the big screen for 2 hours with the turn signal on?

trubble on April 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Head shots

jake-the-goose on April 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

LMAO– I spit my coffee out.

melle1228 on April 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I was in your shoes when Episode 1 came out. Couldn’t wait to take my boy to a Star Wars movie!

1. I asked for my money back
2. I had to rent the damn movie and watch it several times so my kid (and I) could understand it. I still don’t.

BobMbx on April 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM

It’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage.

It’s both for that crew!

INC on April 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM

They should include the MST3000 robots down in the corner, making wise cracks about their age, etc. That would be cute.

SailorMark on April 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Who???

I recognize Von Sydow, who’s pretty legendary, and I recognize Serkis/Gollum. The rest of these guys…..

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I thought he didn’t do too badly at Star Trek.

melle1228 on April 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM

No, I loved seeing people flying into and out of black holes and Spock waxing Mighty Mouse and zipping over to Romulus to Save the Day, only to get there too late because something called a “supernova” — which “threatened the galaxy” by the way — had eaten it.

Tard Trek was great.

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Leopard1996 on April 29, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I dunno, Jar Jar Binks was faithful to the world Lucas created too. That’s no guarantee of quality.

Lawdawg86 on April 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Max? Max Von Sydow is still suckin air? WAY TO GO MAX!!!

He look old in Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford.

What is he now, about 119 years old or what?

44Magnum on April 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Old Man Skywalker giving his son X-Wing driving lessons….

(hint – think Mark Hamill’s driving experience)

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

princetrumpet on April 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

All I gotta say is that I really Carrie Fisher. She has quite the sharp-tongued wit. But…but…please God do NOT put her in any skimpy costumes!

NavyMustang on April 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Don’t rely exclusively on CGI but when they do, it better surpass Lord of the Rings quality.

WisRich on April 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Boring conversation anyway. LUKE, WE’RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!

thebrokenrattle on April 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Tard Trek was great.

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I liked Abrams Star Trek but I’ve heard it said – and I kinda agree – that his Star Trek was really Star Wars.

It’s gonna be great.

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

He must be stopped. He’s about to take out Star Wars, too . . . People are obviously eating-up his drooling, belly-slapping action-adventure crack. I’m going to write him a letter and ask him to consider the children.

“For the children,” I’ll say.

This might work.

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

princetrumpet on April 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

rotf :)

Axe on April 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Oh, and J.J., enough with the shaky cam.

WisRich on April 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM

So, no need for good writing this time either.

BL@KBIRD on April 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM

I dunno…This could be a really bad idea…

workingclass artist on April 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM

The story is going to be about Chewbacca’s hip replacement surgery and his lack of insurance. That’s when Luke pops in with a comment about JediCare and the low premiums.

Copperwood on April 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM

1. I asked for my money back

BobMbx on April 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I saw EP I when it came out and like it. It was definitely inferior to the original and can see why people hated it.

I took my oldest to see EP I when it came out in 3D a year or so ago and he loved it. People forget that Jar Jar – as grating as he is – was a big hit with younger viewers. Just like the Ewoks were (I saw EP VI originally in theaters and remember liking it but not particularly for the Ewoks though). My oldest likes EP I – he’s not old enough to know the dialogue sucks but it’s got lightsaber fights, a pod race etc.

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM

“Meh. If instead the original crew ends up as main characters, it’ll be the first ever sci-fi flick with senior citizens as its nucleus.”

Did you miss the last few Star Trek movies with the Original Series crew?

brainy435 on April 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Maybe they can just hire the action figures that will be on the shelves when it comes out… it will give them that air of authenticity!

ajacksonian on April 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

princetrumpet on April 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

thread winner

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Boring conversation anyway. LUKE, WE’RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!

thebrokenrattle on April 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM

“Han, everyone has heard the story about your Kessel run more than enough….”

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:55 PM

It’s gonna be great.

gwelf on April 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Abram’s Star Trek reboot worked because the story lines had played with those ideas before…philosophically.

Star Wars is different…and then there’s Lucas.

This is gonna be like Indy nukin’ the fridge.

workingclass artist on April 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM

About twenty of these quotes would make appropriate comments for this thread.

SailorMark on April 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Carrie Fisher is returning as Jabba the Hutt.

Bishop on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

“Why is the technology better earlier than it is later?”
Cooler space ships, etc, etc.

albill on April 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I heard a critic address that and said the technology in the later movies should have become progressively crappy to match up with the original trilogy.

But in 1977 when I was watching the original in a theater…. it was awesome!

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Copperwood on April 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM

ROFL!!!
That was good.

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I gave up after the first six and the books and comics and videogames.

Hey, let’s hope they throw in some Bush-bashing, too, like Lucas did in the last one. I’m sure Mark Hamill will love it.

And where’s Billy Dee? What a bunch of racists these Disney people are!

Kensington on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Could give a whole new meaning to the concept of “Imperial Walkers”

dissent555 on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Carrie Fisher is returning as Jabba the Hutt.

Bishop on April 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

In the slave outfit?

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 5:58 PM

“I have altered our arrangement. Pray that I do not alter it any further.”
– Twinkly Vader

dissent555 on April 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The Cantina scene will be recreated by using all the original actors without makeup.

Bishop on April 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Chewie, hand me that hydrospanner so I can put these curb feelers on the Falcon.

86 on April 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Didn’t get it 30 some years and still don’t get. I should get it but yet I don’t.

CW on April 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Han shot first, or these posers can stuff it.

locomotivebreath1901 on April 29, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Nan and Harry will be joining the cast I hear.

CW on April 29, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Disney: It’s not over yet.

OLD Cast
: It is for me, sister. Look, I ain’t in this for your revolution, and I’m not in it for you, Princess Disney. I expect to be well paid. I’m in it for the money.

WisRich on April 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM

It will be revealed that Palpatine is actually one of the Koch Brothers.

Bishop on April 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM

“Why is the technology better earlier than it is later?”
Cooler space ships, etc, etc.

albill on April 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM

The Emperor’s most ruthless unit – the Imperial EPA – ruined the technology with all their requirements “to save the galaxy”.

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Han shot first…

Hans been shooting first for years now. That’s why Leia’s so unhappy.

Kensington on April 29, 2014 at 6:03 PM

In the slave outfit?

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 5:58 PM

No no no!!!!
We’ve already said NO to Carrie Fisher in that slave girl bikini!!!!

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Oh, goody! It’s not just me… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on April 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I still think Ben Affleck is going to be a fine Batman.

Kensington on April 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Took my 3yr old son to 1st movie at 10 pm showing, kid stood up the entire movie mesmerized. Later next month when his sis went to grandma’s I made the mistake of saying we would do whatever he wanted to do everyday. Took the little bugger to see the movie again 10 days in a row, all because I said ” I promise” ugh ! But from that day forth he knew I kept my word…so as a teen he didn’t screw up because I’d tell him “you screw up and I promise this will happen.” Guess it was worth it. Boy the money we’ve spent on that franchise over the years . Not that I want to see Han, Luke or Leia in their old age. Why spoil a good thing.

Bakokitty on April 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM

TexasJack on April 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM

The first one was good. Great casting. The plot had so many holes it was embarrassing, and he had to destroy half the Star Trek universe “to save it,” but it was almost worth it to see all the characters reborn.

But Spock and Uhura? What a stupid idea!

But then we come to the steaming pile of badly recycled crap that was “Into Darkness.” And a Captain Kirk who acted like an idiot child instead of a starship captain, then tried to get Spock to lie for him and cover it all up.

So no, I don’t have any confidence that this will go well.

But I’ll be philosophical about it, whatever the results. If he had to destroy the Star Trek universe, why should the Star Wars universe get away scot free?

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

About twenty of these quotes would make appropriate comments for this thread.

SailorMark on April 29, 2014 at 5:56 PM

“Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.”

That’s not from Star Wars. It’s Obama responding to his filthy spouse.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM