Boehner: Oh, hey, I was just teasing my caucus by mocking them over immigration

posted at 3:21 pm on April 29, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Free Beacon, can lefties and righties join hands and proclaim our mutual disgust at this guy for endlessly talking out of both sides of his mouth on this subject? I feel like I’ve been writing the same two posts, alternating weekly, for the past year: “Boehner vows to make immigration reform happen” and “Boehner blames Obama for failure of immigration reform.” Last week was dominated by the first type; this week, apparently, will be dominated by the second.

The irony of Boehner periodically blaming his own caucus and then turning around and blaming O for haphazardly enforcing the law is that virtually nothing’s changed on either front. There is, was, and always has been a critical mass of centrist Republicans in the House who want to pass comprehensive reform; all Boehner needs to do is put something on the floor and let that centrist minority join with Democrats to pass it. Meanwhile, Obama is, was, and will remain on track to relax America’s deportation policy a bit as a pander to his base, while they wait for Congress to act on reform. In theory, if you believe Boehner’s shpiel that Obama’s the big obstacle here because Republicans don’t trust him to enforce the law, the fact that O’s getting ready to further scale back security measures should be the final straw for comprehensive reform. In reality, it may be that the GOP leadership is so worried about Obama earning more goodwill for Democrats among Latinos by relaxing deportations that they feel more desperate than ever to pass something. The whole thing is a charade, driven by the simple reality that the Republican leadership is “hellbent” on passing something that Republican base voters are hellbent on opposing. Everyone understands this, but the facade that the leadership is actually representing its constituents must be kinda sorta maintained, which is why Boehner is forever oscillating between “it’s happening” and “Obama’s the bad guy.” Pathetic. The boss emeritus is right — it’s time for this guy to go.

And maybe he is going. But, via Breitbart, not soon enough:

Immigration reform will be passed this summer, Sen. Charles Schumer predicted Monday during a visit to the 12th annual Daily News/CUNY Citizenship NOW! immigration call-in.

“I want to let you in on a little secret. We are going to pass that bill and sign it into law this year,” said the New York Democrat, one of the authors of a Senate immigration bill that would provide a path to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants, overhaul the current system and boost border enforcement…

“We will have an immigration bill — it may not be exactly the Senate bill — on the floor of the House … We will come to an agreement. They will put that bill on the President’s desk for President Obama to sign into law,” Schumer said.

I’ll never understand why, if House Republican leaders were determined to pass something, they didn’t just bite the bullet last year a la Rubio and the Gang of Eight and ram it through then. Conservatives would have screeched and vowed to stay home in the midterms, but those promises would have melted away after the disastrous ObamaCare rollout and been all but forgotten by this summer. Instead Boehner and crew dragged their feet and now we’ve got someone as high-ranking as Cathy McMorris-Rodgers wondering aloud about passing a bill as late as August, just three months before conservatives get ready to vote. That’s political malpractice. Terrible policy, horrible strategy: Who cares if they lose anymore?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bmore

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM

“I was just teasing.”
a.k.a. 2014 Lie of the year.

Carnac on April 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM

If you want your tease you can keep your tease.

viking01 on April 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I swear that I will never vote again if they do this because then they will have transformed “Let It Burn” into law.

trapeze on April 29, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Do our votes even count anymore? I have my doubts.

birdwatcher on April 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM

He learned that crap from Obama.

CW on April 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM

1965 – We pass an amnesty, but it’s a one time thing we’ll never do again. It just makes sense this one time.

1986 – Ok, one more time; but we’ll secure the borders, prevent illegal crossings and we’ll NEVER have another bill like this again.

2010-2014 – Why don’t you guys trust us? If we don’t pass one now, how can we have a template for showing what useless liars we are in 2038 when we bring the next one?

What? Is that not the lesson to learn here?

They promise a bunch of stuff, deliver on none of it, and come back 20-30 years later with the same proposal recycled with new promises they don’t intend to keep.

If someone lies to you and cheats you on a regular basis… would you make another deal with them on the same topic?

Secure the border, get the laws under control, get jobs verified and managed… THEN come ask me if you can have something after you’ve met the previous promises you’ve already made for the goodwill you spent decades ago.

Or don’t and expect opposition from anyone who remembers or can look up the previous deals you’ve broken on this topic already.

gekkobear on April 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Chuckie Schumer isn’t a trustworthy insider source.

Schumer is posturing to be Harry Reid’s replacement. He will say anything to get air time, thereby increasing his own visibility.

joecollins on April 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I haven’t read the thread but surely a few of our stalwart Republican do or diers have put you straight. There is nothing these people can do that justify you even considering not voting for them. I wonder just what it would take?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM

gekkobear on April 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM

How many times do you think border security has been funded and defunded?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Love ya AP, but if you really believe this, you’re an idiot. You, the GOP, and much of the rest of the punditry really, seriously, need to wake the f*ck up.

Midas on April 29, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Sheesh, this guy needs to detox. Alcohol has poisoned his brain & soul.

Because they’re idiots. They’ve made “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” an art form.

conservative pilgrim on April 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM

How can the Republican caucus justify keeping this drunk as Speaker?His diarrhea of the mouth fouls the House chamber with his stench.

redware on April 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I was just teasing Boehner by sharpening my pitchfork when I heard he was planning on yet another Amnesty push.

randy on April 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Anyone for a 30 million man march on DC in July to show opposition to Amnesty in any form, by any name or by any means?

randy on April 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I’m from ohio and this clown is the speaker. I’m embarrassed.

jaywemm on April 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

A question for KingGold, MJBrutus, Meredeth, and all of the Party First! people.

MWC_RS on April 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM

“If John Boehner were to club a baby seal on camera ( so you have proof) would you vote for him?”

Hell, I might vote for him if he did that.

That would be a meaningless act compared to his malfeasance as Speaker.

I left the Democrats when Carter made it obvious where they were headed.

I left the Republicans in 2007 when they did the same.

Republicrats and Demopublicans can go to hell.

Meremortal on April 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM

AP — PLEASE READ THIS POLL!!

The ONLY poll to offer all 3 choices.

And watch how attrition works:

I cannot believe that so many assume 100% of Hispanic American citizens want amnesty – it’s only 54 – 40 in favor.

So Boehner et al want to try to out-pander the Dems for the 54%, not gain them, piss off the 40% and the GOP conservative base.

Insane!

fred5678 on April 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Psssst Jerkweed if you pass this immigration bill THE BASE WILL WALK COME NOVEMBER AND I’M NOT TEASING !

D.D.Mao on April 30, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Shpiel is Yiddish, and literally means ‘play’. While the meaning and associations of the word have changed significantly, the it can still be commonly heard with its original meaning in the context of Purim, the Feast of Lots. Amongst the myriad of customs and observances associated with this Jewish holiday, the Purim shpiel is a tradition which extends back into Talmudic times. Initially a morality play re-enacting the humiliation, defeat, and hanging of Haman and his ten sons over 2,500 years ago, the Purim shpiel has evolved into a kind of performance art. Funny plays are performed which may or may not tell the story of Purim, but usually satirize community affairs, current events, or well-known figures. Children most frequently perform Purim shpiels in their school.

The modern use of the word shpiel, however, has strayed far from its roots. It now refers to any presentation, performance, or seemingly rehearsed verbal expression. It has dismissive or humorous overtones, implying cliche, repetition, predictability, comic presentation, cheap antics and salesmanship, or flashy over-production. Some examples:
“I think they’ll hire me. They listened to my little shpiel, and it seemed to go over well.”
“The vacuum cleaner salesman came by today and gave me this whole shpiel about dust-mites. What a goniff.”
“I went to City Hall about getting a license for the delicatessen and bagel shop, but they gave me this long shpiel and then said to come back Monday.”
“You want a pony for your birthday? What chutzpah! How long have you been rehearsing this shpiel?”

davidk on April 30, 2014 at 2:56 AM

randy on April 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM

How about May?: http://patriotsforamerica.ning.com/forum/topics/operation-american-spring-washington-d-c-in-the-cross-hairs-the

davidk on April 30, 2014 at 2:58 AM

It’s not highly politicized conservatives the GOP needs to be afraid of. They can be alienated by bad policies, but potentially won back by good messaging later, because, being highly politicized, they’ll still be listening.

The people the GOP should be afraid of, but aren’t, are the parts of the 90% white, Christian, marrying base that are tuning out because the GOP is ruining them day by day, and they see no prospect of relief. They don’t stay listening; they turn the radio off or throw it out, and you will not get them back.

Every liberal Republican, like McCain, that runs on an implicitly anti-white message, counting on Hispanics, Jews, Asians, Blacks etc. to come over to them if they just compromise white interests enough, turns off more barely-political whites who see that there is no team for them, and that makes it harder for the next liberal Republican, like Romney.

The dropout of the potential conservative vote lost is now enough to lose presidential elections. And it’s only going to be bigger next time. Romney will have made it harder for the next candidate.

David Blue on April 30, 2014 at 5:54 AM

Amnesty could wake up large numbers of barely political but culturally conservative white Christian men and married women just enough for them to give up on the GOP and tune out permanently. There will be no putting that right.

What happens after that? Then a party with most of the billionaires and with huge, racially consolidated vote banks fights a party funded by a minority of billionaires, without the aid of any comparable mass voting base.

In other words, the GOP would have to get by without any adequate numbers of actual loyalists, purely on bribery, hucksterism and paid media (the unpaid media all being hard liberal, of course).

How is that going to work out? Who wins that one, day in, day out?

I guess we’ll find out. Because the GOP establishment continues to favor anti-white policies, that reduce whites as a share the electorate. And that means if we don’t get to the post-amnesty scenario in one big disaster, we’ll get to it little by little and year by year.

David Blue on April 30, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Boehner shoud go into a corner and have another good cry.

golfer1 on April 30, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Prophetic.

Slight correction tho…some self-professed conservatives will stay home and pout about it. I value my vote, and appreciate what it took to create and preserve a nation where voting is far too often taken for granted.

trapeze on April 29, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Case in point.

JetBoy on April 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Has anyone checked the alcohol content of the water in Washington DC lately? Half the people that are speaking out about different subjects that really matter to people aren’t making much sense. I feel like I live in a different world from the leadership in this country. My question to all is…..why do we quietly sit back and just let it happen? We are living in a world upside down and no one seems to do anything but comment on media websites. When or will we do something? If I were 20 years younger I would be camped out in DC and drive those jerks crazy with my constant questions, signs, protests, etc. If we don’t do something soon we will have lost our country to those that will gladly take it over without firing a shot!

texal on April 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM

D.D.Mao on April 30, 2014 at 1:09 AM

I’m not teasing either. Just like I wasn’t teasing when I left the Dems in 2008 and voted for McCain and Romney in 2012. I know they think we’ll all be back but amnesty is big effing deal to me. It actually negatively impacts my family since we are middle class, public school, and STEM career. The job market is terrible where I live in NYS. We just found out another plant is leaving and 450 people are losing their jobs. My taxes are already high because of Medicaid costs and school taxes and resources in this county are limited and many, many, services are directed at people who are illegal. It makes my blood boil. Its more important to me than whether or not the Republicans win especially since they are resigned to keeping Obamacare with changes. Absolute nonsense to vote for either one of these parties if they are running people who only care about their cronies and their own personal power. If people like Jetboy can’t get that, I really don’t care. Value your vote Jetboy, but it won’t change a thing.

magicbeans on April 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Well I know what I will NOT be doing this November

Brock Robamney on April 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Who’s behind it? Backng off – I don’t think so.

Here’s the summary:

Boehner has already said he doesn’t trust Dem Obama (maybe fake but Boehner said it)

So, his excuse to NOT do “comprehensive immigration reform” is this: Dem Obama and his Dem cronies break the law; his AG breaks the law; his cronies have no clue regarding foreign relations and he decides to go for amnesty? I don’t care what they call it – it’s amnesty.

The Rule of Law is his excuse to NOT do anything until there is a change in the behavior of the democrat administration. If not change, no immigration change. Either the Dems grow up or we wait.

Then, fence completed; next step AFTER fence is done. None of this comprehensive garbage.

MN J on April 30, 2014 at 1:52 PM