Three House Republicans signal new push on immigration reform is coming

posted at 11:21 am on April 28, 2014 by Allahpundit

Three that I’ve noticed, that is. There may be more beneath my radar, and if there are, please e-mail me the links so that I can add them as updates. And no, I’m not including Adam Kinzinger or Aaron Schock in this. If you count them too, then we’ve got five different GOPers suddenly talking this up.

As Trotsky famously said, you may not be interested in amnesty but amnesty is interested in you. First up: Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, the highest-ranking Republican woman in the House, who delivered the official party rebuttal to the State of the Union back in January. She’s also the only one of the three to float a concrete timeline.

McMorris Rodgers said she still thinks a deal could be struck before the election. “I believe there is a path that we get a bill on the floor by August,” she said.

A bipartisan plan was passed in the Senate last spring but made no headway in the Republican-controlled House. McMorris Rodgers echoed the concern brought up by many in the chamber, saying she wants to see stronger border security. But she said she’d support a bill that grants legal status to those undocumented immigrants working toward citizenship, allowing them to remain in the country to work and go to school while they wait their turn in the current system.

“We’re going to have to push that this is a legal status, not amnesty,” she said.

A bitterly divisive party battle over immigration sounds like a fine idea three months before the midterms. Note the rhetoric about “legalization, not amnesty,” too. That’s an old saw used by Republicans to try to sell their immigration compromises to the base. Rubio and the Gang of Eight used it too, emphasizing that the path to citizenship under their bill would be long and onerous while quietly avoiding the fact that probationary legalization for illegals under their scheme would be quick and painless. Legalization is the whole ballgame here, of course; once illegals have a foothold to lawfully remain in the U.S., immigration activists will quickly wear down Republican resolve on delaying citizenship. And McMorris-Rodgers knows it.

Next up: Mario Diaz-Balart, a member of the House’s (now defunct) version of the Gang of Eight and therefore someone whom Boehner naturally would be chatting with about this process. He’s vaguer on the timeline but confident that things are happening.

“I think we finally have the policy right,” he said in a phone interview. “I think we have figured out a way to secure, to have border and interior security, holding the administration accountable for the enforcement … forcing the administration to enforce the law whether they want to or not. And I think we figured out a way to deal with the folks that are here in a way that is fair — fair, by the way, to those in the legal system … who are doing everything legally, and also deals with the folks that are here in a way that is fair and reasonable. And adheres, strictly adheres, to the rule of law…

“It is as close as we have ever been. It is still a big, big, heavy lift,” he said. “I think we’re going to get there.”

“We’re going to need a large group of Republicans and Democrats who are willing to stand up and do what is right for our country. What I’m finding is that there are a lot of them out there,” Diaz-Balart told CQ Roll Call.

That last bit’s not true, actually. They need a large group of Democrats but only a small-ish group of a few dozen Republicans to get to 218. It’s purely a matter of Boehner’s own political courage in being willing to bring a bill to the floor and pass it along those lines, which is what made his mockery last week so ironic. He could end this process and pass the Gang of Eight bill in a matter of weeks if he wanted to, but he’s afraid the caucus will toss him out on his ear if he does so he’s holding back. To quote the man himself, “Ooooooh, this is too hard.”

Last up: Texas Republican Joe Barton. Back in January, when Boehner and the leadership released their “principles” on immigration reform, Barton seemed to think the obstacles to a deal were insurmountable. Lo and behold, three months later he’s working on a bill of his own.

Barton, R-Arlington, said his bill would be ready in a month to six weeks.

“If it were to become law it would solve the problem,” Barton said during a recording of Lone Star Politics, which airs Sunday at 8:40 a.m. on KXAS-TV (NBC 5).

Barton said his plan would put a heavy emphasis on border security, which could mollify the most conservative Republicans in Congress.

But he added that “minor children” would get a path to citizenship, and that there would be an effective guest worker program for immigrants with jobs. And Barton would give adults in the country illegally a chance to gain legal status, but not citizenship.

Hard to tell from those bare-bones details whether he’d make legalization contingent upon border security, as border hawks want, or if they’d be on independent tracks, a la the Gang of Eight bill. If it’s the former, the bill is DOA with Democrats and therefore DOA in the House entirely. (There likely aren’t 218 Republican votes for any sort of immigration proposal except maybe a pure enforcement measure.) If it’s the latter, the bill is DOA with Republicans — but maybe not DOA in the House entirely. Again, it’ll come down to whether Boehner is willing to violate the Hastert Rule and pass a comprehensive bill (or series of bills that amount to a comprehensive bill) with a majority of Democrats and minority of Republicans. After last week’s outburst, would you put it past him?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Idiots…

Ricard on April 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I am sputtering mad. I am beside myself angry.

casuist on April 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Party of Stupid.

JimK on April 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM

What planet do these people live on?

Ellis on April 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM

1000 comments or bust!

tdarrington on April 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM

No walls? No patriots?

Murphy9 on April 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM

What are these idiots trying to prove. If the deny amnesty they may be able to pick up a small addition to the Hispanic voting pool . . . if they approve amnesty they will increase the liberal voting pool by hundreds of thousands and lose even more elections. Where do thee fools come from?

rplat on April 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Stuck on Stupid.

JimK on April 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Just Boinking lovely,……Sabotagey of the Nov/2014 MidTerms!!!!!!

canopfor on April 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM

What is wrong with these people?

eyedoc on April 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM

But who will pick our vegetables and wash our dishes if not for undocumented workers getting paid slave wages, living in substandard conditions! They do the jobs that real humans won’t! /s

tdarrington on April 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

OFF TOPIC
if anyone interested in the union pacific big boy locomotinve move I have stream pulled from trians mag that people ca see w/o subscription.
stream

times/dates:

dmacleo on April 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I never realized that suicide was a communicable disease.

Bitter Clinger on April 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Why legal status for illegals? Why give them the foot in the door of legalization, which will just pave the way for rampant amnesty for the squatters when the Dems get enough power to pull it off?

The only immigration reform is enforcement of current laws and a big freaking wall.

DimsdalePiranha on April 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

TREASON:
trea·son noun \ˈtrē-zən\
: the crime of trying to overthrow your country’s government or of helping your country’s enemies during war
Full Definition of TREASON

: the betrayal of a trust : treachery
: the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign’s family

rottenrobbie on April 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

What planet do these people live on?

Ellis on April 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Ellis:)
=========

Planet Political Unobtainium

canopfor on April 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

rplat on April 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

The Democrat Party. All of them will flip, including John BOHICA, when their seats become ‘endangered.’

Myron Falwell on April 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

These friggin morons! Leave it to cry baby to snatch defeat from the hands of victory.

2eagles on April 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Just called and voiced my disapproval and frustration with McMorris-Rodgers. Told her aide that Obamacare needs to be repealed, not replaced, and if they try to pass any form of legislation re: immigration (particularly that smells of “amnesty”) before the November elections, they will be cutting their noses off to spite their face, as the base will leave them in droves. He didn’t say whether they’d gotten many calls on this, but as I got through rather easily, I’m guessing folks haven’t started raising their voices enough yet.

Get on the horn and let them know we are NOT HAPPY about this. They need to know. We’ve shut them down before, we can do it again. And tell them they won’t get a thin dime from us if they proceed in this manner. Or votes. Or ANYthing.

theotherone on April 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

What is wrong with these people?

eyedoc on April 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Lust for money, power and the lovin’ they expect to be getting from the beneficiaries of their “reform”, I suppose, rather than for their constituents and the nations true and best interests.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Or an electronic fence that sets off your shock collar.

casuist on April 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

That’s nice of y’all to free up my day during deer season.

rogerb on April 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Would the left be talking about legalizing 11 million hispanics if most of them were like Rick Santorum? They would talk about these people as if they’re rodents, laughing off any charges of racism. They would round them up like cattle and deport them, and put the national guard on the border with orders to shoot anyone who crossed.

crrr6 on April 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

At this time I’d like to introduce Madam Speaker Pelosi.

BKeyser on April 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Borders, Language, Culture not shamnesty
How hard is that to understand?

Scottie on April 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

The GOP “leadership” needs to go. ALL of them.

Or the GOP needs to die. And I guess if the GOP needs to die, then Obamnesty is probably what’s needed to finally kill it off.

Maybe Obamnesty isn’t so bad after all?

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM

House Republicans have to be the most politically inept bunch in the nation. It’s unbelievable they are so totally out of touch as to not understand that pushing a policy the base overwhelmingly opposes will destroy the wave election that would otherwise be rolling ashore in November.

All they have to do is ride the wave which will actually put them back into a policy making roll with solid control of both houses of Congress. But no, they’re committed to political suicide before the wave crests.

Total, utter, dystopian ineptitude.

I am so glad I don’t work there anymore.

Texas Zombie on April 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

And this is why it’s important to not only elect Republicans but also the right Republicans. We’re seeing the knife readying to strike us in the back… even if it costs us some seats we need to cut the head off this snake asap.

Ukiah on April 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

LIPSTICK!
…so they want to push people toward a 3rd party…before 2016?

KOOLAID2 on April 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I hate this scumhag. Go to Hell, biatch.

All who’re for amnesty are traitors to the land, her laws, her legal workers and their kids.

Unions, you incredible thuggish fools. The leftists and RINOs hate you all.

Rs, you morons, you destroy the land and the new citizens will Never vote for you. YOU don’t care, I know, but may something very bad befall you, first politically.

Mark this, if amnesty passes, Pelosi will take the hammer back, as she fully deserves it.

Mark this too, if amnesty passes, Hillary deserves to be appointed, not even voted in…you have NO idea of the wrath against the DIABLOs, Democrats in all but label only. No, you have NO clue. We will never vote for Ds, but we will not ever again vote for you either. Have at it, you latrine rats. YOU are worse than the Democ-rats. YOU enable them. Go to Hell, all of you.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Line up and vote for the Party, citizen, you must do your duty as you are told.

Don’t worry though, there is a hill waaaaaay off in the distance that the GOP is going to fight for, don’t bother looking for it because it’s quite a ways off.

Bishop on April 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

What is wrong with these people?

eyedoc on April 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM

They get their political philosophy from the same place the majority of Americans get it. The TV.

Cleombrotus on April 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I have emailed my Congressman multiple times to assure him that I would vote for a Democrat in November if he votes for any bill that includes amnesty. Also, I will actively campaign for the Democrat. That’s what everyone must do because it’s the only thing that they understand.

cajunpatriot on April 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

GOP: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory…

d1carter on April 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

The Republican House “Leadership” stinks. Just plain stinks.

DaMav on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

To think that this weaselly hag gave the SOTU rebuttal..yikes…she came across weaselly then and she exposed herself nakid now. Hurl.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

There is no such thing as a conservative with a Hyphenated-DASH-Name.

ConstantineXI on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Why are the party of stupid so stupid? Kiss the Republican Party goodbye.

neyney on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

If any GOP people read these comments, read my words:

I’m 33 years old, and my wife and I have voted in every election going back to 1998. I have donated to the GOP and/or individual candidates since 2004. If you pass this amnesty nonsense without a foolproof border security plan, I will neither donate nor vote this year. If my vote and money are meaningless to you, you are meaningless to me.

Please also note that I am not anti-amnesty/legalization. What I am is anti-de facto open border. So don’t try to sell me on high tech measures that will never be implemented. We were supposed to build a wall 10 years ago, and I’m still waiting for it.

I’m watching carefully.

JoeShmoe99 on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Simple message for them – go right ahead. I’ll just sit home in November.

happi on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Hellbent.

Well said.

After last week’s outburst, would you put it past him?

In real life I’d laugh and walk away. :) So I’ll just laugh and hit submit.

Axe on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Time to melt the phone lines!

bogginator on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Again, it doesn’t really matter what any immigration bill that comes out of the House does. It’s all about getting to conference with the Senate. Any bill that comes out of the conference is going to look nothing like a bill passed by the House GOP.

Mark1971 on April 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I never realized that suicide was a communicable disease.

Bitter Clinger on April 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

It isn’t suicide. This is premeditated national homicide by our political criminal class. Most of ‘em know exactly what outcome they want. And to be sure, it is the lust for more political power, a further concentration of wealth among the few and well connected and a huge population of poorly educated serfs eeking out a living manipulated by and dependent upon big government which drives these people.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Best thing to do is contribute heavily to McMorris-Rogers’s Democrat opponent, and if you live in Washington, vote for the Democrat instead of her.

Hate to say it, but that’s the only way she will get her comeuppance.

Myron Falwell on April 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

cajunpatriot on April 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Exactly what I did. I also wrote Mitch McConnell too. If the GOP does this it’s time to abandon “Let it Burn” and implement “Set It On Fire”.

ConstantineXI on April 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Apparently the cautionary tale of Marco Rubio is completely lost on these folks.

Doughboy on April 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Boner is a puerile pig and doesn’t deserve to be promoted out from kindergarten. His mimicry depicted to perfection all that is wrong in DC, he/Reid and obama.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

What next? Do we allow other thieves title to the property they stole?

Does someone who steals your car deserve a “path to legal registration” for the vehicle?

Isn’t this the same kind of “Fairness” sought by the “immigration” scolds??

Liberalism is truly a mental disease.

landlines on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I need someone to explain this for me. I can (sorta) understand going along with this legislation if you truly believe that it is the right and moral thing to do but why push so hard on something that isn’t even on most Americans radar? Aren’t there things more important right now?

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

And, the difference between Cathy McMorris Rodgers and most Democratic congresswomen is?

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Oh come on kids ! They want to do this by August ……
We’ll forget all about it by November .
S/

Lucano on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Why are the party of stupid so stupid? Kiss the Republican Party goodbye.

neyney on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Believe me, those doing this wouldn’t miss the existence of the GOP, and would gladly become members of the sole remaining major political party, of which many GOP pols in DC evidently have more in common than with their GOP base.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

HA classic

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.
terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

One has to wonder what the FBI has on these turncoats?

viking01 on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Why are the party of stupid so stupid? Kiss the Republican Party goodbye.

neyney on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

No loss, whatever. No one should bemoan their demise. They are worse to the land than the D-rats. They enable the latter.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Wrong words…

I want to see, “Lock down and Secure” in that sentence.

Don’t let “immigration” fool you, the only thing that matters is the first step.

Locking down the border…after that, everything else will be easy and better understood.

Immigration is a way for them to dodge the border issue.

One of the few laws enumerated by our founding fathers, protect and defend our borders, that is what the feds are ordered to do.

So if they cannot do the most simple, and direct, and obvious–how do they expect to do the most difficult?

right2bright on April 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Need I say more about why purity is important in the Conservative party. Thanks to all you lowers out there we have factual Democrats not only in the party, they are in leadership positions.

Pournelle’s Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people”:

First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.

Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.

The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.

Here instead, we have socialists who have infiltrated and gotten themselves into positions of power, and now that they are there, just like the Media, Hollywood and the Educational System, they run the show in total.

I would like to thank people like V7_Sport especially for bringing this to pass.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

She has a uterus.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Hate to say it, but that’s the only way she will get her comeuppance.

Myron Falwell on April 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Comeuppance – sad to say but this is all we have left of this once great country.

VegasRick on April 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I’m pretty sure it comes down to $s .
Chamber and others interested in cheap labor .

Lucano on April 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Lump me in with these 5 and Boehner and Paul Ryan.

Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shores.

ZachV on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Exactly 4% of Americans consider amnesty “important”.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

If this is the path down which they intend to push the nation, the GOP’s demise might just as well come now than later.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

The Chamber of Commerce runs the House leadership…

d1carter on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

She has a uterus.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I was going to say that alpha men could be attracted to Rodgers.

Bishop on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Whigs

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

This will work until La Raza finds the first liberal judge.

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Simple message for them – go right ahead. I’ll just sit home in November.

happi on April 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

See, sitting at home just isn’t enough for me. I’m going to go out and vote for the (R)’s biggest opponent, the (D).

Yes, electing a (D) won’t help in the short term. But what it WILL do, is get that problem (R) OUT of the mix. And will allow a Conservative to run for the seat in the next election.

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

The Chamber of Commerce runs the House leadership…

d1carter on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Yup. They paid for it and own it.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

This is just our daily reminder that the GOP is not interested in winning any national election going forward. AMNESTY will destroy America, and destroy what is left of the GOP, and all Republican AMNESTY pushers know it.

The Republican Party has joined the democrat party in waging all-out WAR on America.
It’s THEM against US.

Pork-Chop on April 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

landlines on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Don’t fall into the trap of saying illegal immigration is the same as stealing or any other inflammatory statement you can reach.

What it does is keep you and others from the real problem, border security.

If that was done, you would see the “problem” begin to dissolve, and a better understanding on how to handle and “process” the illegal immigrants.

Many of them, much better citizens than the “citizens” who killed a dozen people in Detroit or Chicago over the weekend.

right2bright on April 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Big Labor is in need of a new generation of easily cowed illegal aliens. Thus they need to turn the current generation into legal citizens that can be put on welfare to make room for the new illegals.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

The Chamber of Commerce runs the House leadership…

d1carter on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Very true. It gets its orders from Thomas Donohue, CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I haven’t seen the name Trotsky since college BUT

Yesterday a new troll poster named “Trotsky” came on to the sterling thread and shoveled and served some old refried Trotskyism. And now Allah mentions the real Trotsky in this blog post. hmmmmm… what does it mean?

BoxHead1 on April 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Lump me in with these 5 and Boehner and Paul Ryan.

ZachV on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Thank you, friend. There is a Mexican family of 15 that needs a place to stay so get your guest bedroom ready and place extra towels in the bathroom.

What’s that? You would like to host that poor family but you have allergies? Oh geez that’s too bad.

Bishop on April 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Ha! This is one of those times when it’s great to be be represented by a filthy (no, really the man should be in jail) liberal Democrat who is also retiring this year. No worries about where his vote is going. However if I were a constituent of one of these Republicans who are pushing through-amnesty…….. well, the phone lines will not melt themselves. Just sayin’

And BTW, Congresswoman McMorris-Rodgers. Stop it. When you say that what you and your other weasel colleagues is offering is a legal status and not amnesty. It shows that you think we’re too damned stupid to see beyond your lie. Or, conversely, maybe you are affirmation of just how goddamned stupid women are when it comes to politics. Try some honesty about what you are really trying to do.

Happy Nomad on April 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

You left out the other half – voters for the D party, which is the same with the DIABLOs.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Well then, the only thing that is left is revenge. If your from KY there is still time to exact revenge on Mitch McConnell and the Senate. How embarrassing for the Republicans if their minority leader got the axe especially in a year they were supposed to take the Senate. You can vote Bevin in the primary and if that fails you can vote Democrat. I mean after all what difference does it make?

magicbeans on April 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

This will work until La Raza finds the first liberal judge.

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

My bet it that a judge has already been found, the case ready to be presented and will be ready to go within minutes of legal status being granted.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Lump me in with these 5 and Boehner and Paul Ryan.

ZachV on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

+1. The steps legal immigrants go through to to achieve citizenship are awesome, and their knowledge of the nation and why they’re doing it is something to be envied.

If you tie amnesty for illegals to only being able to legally put black people out of even more jobs they’re potentially qualified for work here and NEVER being eligible to vote I’ll at least listen to your proposal.

Anything granting citizenship/voting and I’m out.

rogerb on April 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

We should STOP using the word “immigration” when we mean “invasion”!!!

landlines on April 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

These politicians are statists who are riding high on the government gravy train. The only real threat to them are conservatives. Real conservatives.

Therefore, they will do anything to minimize and diminish conservatives. They have no problem with making us a reviled minority in our own country. We are their worst enemy.

You are watching the one-party system defend and solidify it’s power. It’s happening right before your eyes.

trigon on April 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

right2bright on April 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

That’s like saying Hitler was better than Stalin because he killed fewer people.

53% of Hispanic births in the U.S. are born to single mothers (source: U.S. Census) and 34% of inmates in federal prisons are Hispanic (source: Federal Bureau of Prisons). Slightly better than the “citizens” you referenced, but not much.

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

So McMorris-Rodgers is saying they want to lie to get this passed. Great. We had the Dems where we wanted them on having sold the biggest lie ever perpetrated on the American people, and now the House leadership wants to steal that title away from them just in time for the elections.

Dusty on April 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

So,…..this immigration thingy,….they’re coming through Ellis Island right,
picture ID, and proof of where there coming from,..right????

I mean Legally,..no fence hopping,..right!!

canopfor on April 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Will someone please explain to me why the Republican Party is intent on committing suicide? Surely they are not so stupid as to believe that passing an amnesty bill will get them votes, are they? After all, Reagan’s amnesty in 1986 single-handedly moved California from the “swing state” column to the “deep blue” column. (Reagan’s amnestied people gained citizenship from 1990-1992. In 1992 California overwhelming voted for Clinton and never looked back).

Outlander on April 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I still don’t think anything happens until a new (hopefully Republican controlled) congress is sworn in come early 2015, but after Boehner’s latest outburst, I’m starting to think the lameduck session. It would be political suicide to ram it through BEFORE the midterms though.

cdog0613 on April 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I never said that, not did my namesake. You are mischaracterizing the socialist position.

In the end, amnesty is irrelevant – it doesn’t matter what nationality the workers have, as true progress can only be made via a global socialist revolution. The bankruptcy of the incrementalist “Socialism in one country” idea was exposed for all to see with the failures of Stalinism and Maoism.

Trotsky on April 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

It would be political suicide to ram it through BEFORE the midterms though.

cdog0613 on April 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Boehner is being paid off. he will take two bites at the apple if he can. Once before to get a lot of bums kicked out of congress and a second one if needed using the outgoing losers for the votes. Trust me, he has a mega million dollar payback coming in 2015.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We’re on the verge of another huge wave election that could crush the Left but the idiots in the GOP are “hellbent” on sabotaging the elections. Like so many have asked, what are these people thinking?

Good grief! If you’re going to stab us in the back at least wait until the lame duck session and spring it on us then. At least it wouldn’t pose a threat to a GOP rout.

Just how much money is the CoC dangling in front of these fools?

Charlemagne on April 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I’m pretty sure it comes down to $s .
Chamber and others interested in cheap labor .

Lucano on April 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

The Chamber of Commerce is divided regionally while the national organization is pushing for immigration.

kinda sounds familiar doesn’t it.

workingclass artist on April 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Trotsky on April 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Hello troll…………………….

VegasRick on April 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Anything granting citizenship/voting and I’m out.

rogerb on April 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I think the Supreme Court can be firmly counted on to allow the creation of a permanent tier of 2nd class citizens — taxed without representation and so on.

Axe on April 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Amnesty will be the final straw for me. If it passes in it’s current form I will no longer vote republican. I will tear up my voter ID card.

This process to pass immigration legislation is a carbon copy of the process used to pass 0bamacare: No substantive debate on the issue, legislation no one understands, countless loopholes, countless carve outs, too much authority given to an administration that time and time again has proven untrustworthy, etc.

If it passes, my support of this party will be finished. And I wont come back. Period!

They’ll have to count on those new republicans they THINK they’ve found.

aMusings on April 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

What the blind loyalist voters don’t realize is that the Amnesty fight is the GOP’s version of ethnic cleansing. This is classic Irving Kristol tactics being used by the Neocons to take control of the party and create their own more palatable version of liberalism.

Brock Robamney on April 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM

ZachV on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Even with those compassionate words…..there were many of that wretched LEGAL refuse that didn’t make it past Ellis Island, and other places of entry and were sent back where they came from. LEGAL immigrants were denied entry because of disease, lack of money, or the lack of nearby relatives who would take responsibility for them. So, so much for ALL the poor, tired wretched, and refuse attempting to immigrate LEGALLY.

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Outlander on April 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM

That was answered earlier in the thread…

hawkeye54 on April 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Myron Falwell on April 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Really makes you wanna donate your cash and time to keep these people in power, doesn’t it? The GOP really knows how to motivate the base…

Jack_Burton on April 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Any legalization is a de facto path to citizenship. If Republicans cave on amnesty for criminals they will absolutely surrender on granting them citizenship when they have a green card.

Border security is not the be-all and end-all. Without interior enforcement having 96% of the border locked down is meaningless. It will just take illegal aliens a little longer to get here, maybe 2-3 attempts rather than the 1st try. Once they are here then they know they are home free. However, if they get deported then have to make 2-3 attempts to get back across only to face a very real threat of being deported again then they may give up.

We also need to take away some of the incentives that drive them to come here.

Wigglesworth on April 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM