Three House Republicans signal new push on immigration reform is coming

posted at 11:21 am on April 28, 2014 by Allahpundit

Three that I’ve noticed, that is. There may be more beneath my radar, and if there are, please e-mail me the links so that I can add them as updates. And no, I’m not including Adam Kinzinger or Aaron Schock in this. If you count them too, then we’ve got five different GOPers suddenly talking this up.

As Trotsky famously said, you may not be interested in amnesty but amnesty is interested in you. First up: Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, the highest-ranking Republican woman in the House, who delivered the official party rebuttal to the State of the Union back in January. She’s also the only one of the three to float a concrete timeline.

McMorris Rodgers said she still thinks a deal could be struck before the election. “I believe there is a path that we get a bill on the floor by August,” she said.

A bipartisan plan was passed in the Senate last spring but made no headway in the Republican-controlled House. McMorris Rodgers echoed the concern brought up by many in the chamber, saying she wants to see stronger border security. But she said she’d support a bill that grants legal status to those undocumented immigrants working toward citizenship, allowing them to remain in the country to work and go to school while they wait their turn in the current system.

“We’re going to have to push that this is a legal status, not amnesty,” she said.

A bitterly divisive party battle over immigration sounds like a fine idea three months before the midterms. Note the rhetoric about “legalization, not amnesty,” too. That’s an old saw used by Republicans to try to sell their immigration compromises to the base. Rubio and the Gang of Eight used it too, emphasizing that the path to citizenship under their bill would be long and onerous while quietly avoiding the fact that probationary legalization for illegals under their scheme would be quick and painless. Legalization is the whole ballgame here, of course; once illegals have a foothold to lawfully remain in the U.S., immigration activists will quickly wear down Republican resolve on delaying citizenship. And McMorris-Rodgers knows it.

Next up: Mario Diaz-Balart, a member of the House’s (now defunct) version of the Gang of Eight and therefore someone whom Boehner naturally would be chatting with about this process. He’s vaguer on the timeline but confident that things are happening.

“I think we finally have the policy right,” he said in a phone interview. “I think we have figured out a way to secure, to have border and interior security, holding the administration accountable for the enforcement … forcing the administration to enforce the law whether they want to or not. And I think we figured out a way to deal with the folks that are here in a way that is fair — fair, by the way, to those in the legal system … who are doing everything legally, and also deals with the folks that are here in a way that is fair and reasonable. And adheres, strictly adheres, to the rule of law…

“It is as close as we have ever been. It is still a big, big, heavy lift,” he said. “I think we’re going to get there.”

“We’re going to need a large group of Republicans and Democrats who are willing to stand up and do what is right for our country. What I’m finding is that there are a lot of them out there,” Diaz-Balart told CQ Roll Call.

That last bit’s not true, actually. They need a large group of Democrats but only a small-ish group of a few dozen Republicans to get to 218. It’s purely a matter of Boehner’s own political courage in being willing to bring a bill to the floor and pass it along those lines, which is what made his mockery last week so ironic. He could end this process and pass the Gang of Eight bill in a matter of weeks if he wanted to, but he’s afraid the caucus will toss him out on his ear if he does so he’s holding back. To quote the man himself, “Ooooooh, this is too hard.”

Last up: Texas Republican Joe Barton. Back in January, when Boehner and the leadership released their “principles” on immigration reform, Barton seemed to think the obstacles to a deal were insurmountable. Lo and behold, three months later he’s working on a bill of his own.

Barton, R-Arlington, said his bill would be ready in a month to six weeks.

“If it were to become law it would solve the problem,” Barton said during a recording of Lone Star Politics, which airs Sunday at 8:40 a.m. on KXAS-TV (NBC 5).

Barton said his plan would put a heavy emphasis on border security, which could mollify the most conservative Republicans in Congress.

But he added that “minor children” would get a path to citizenship, and that there would be an effective guest worker program for immigrants with jobs. And Barton would give adults in the country illegally a chance to gain legal status, but not citizenship.

Hard to tell from those bare-bones details whether he’d make legalization contingent upon border security, as border hawks want, or if they’d be on independent tracks, a la the Gang of Eight bill. If it’s the former, the bill is DOA with Democrats and therefore DOA in the House entirely. (There likely aren’t 218 Republican votes for any sort of immigration proposal except maybe a pure enforcement measure.) If it’s the latter, the bill is DOA with Republicans — but maybe not DOA in the House entirely. Again, it’ll come down to whether Boehner is willing to violate the Hastert Rule and pass a comprehensive bill (or series of bills that amount to a comprehensive bill) with a majority of Democrats and minority of Republicans. After last week’s outburst, would you put it past him?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Lump me in with these 5 and Boehner and Paul Ryan.

Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shores.

ZachV on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Let them break the law, and reward them… yet again. Why is that good?

In 1986 when we passed this last time I was told:

“We will secure the borders henceforth. We will never again bring forward another amnesty bill like this,”

What happened to that promise? “Never” means “every 20-30 years forever” now?

Wait, let me guess… THIS is the last time we’d ever do this; just like last time… and the time before that? Yeah, right.

And Charlie Brown will get to kick the football too.

gekkobear on April 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Meow, meet joanna, joanna meet Meow. ; )

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Between this and the admission that the GOP has no intention of even attempting to repeal Obamacare,

I hope conservatives wake up and refuse to vote GOP any longer. Refuse to give money, donate, or vote for the GOP.

Because, the GOP is a leftist party pushing a leftist agenda. No matter what idiotic thing the GOP apologists come on here and state, remember this:

1. They admit they will not repeal Obamacare;
2. They will pass an amnesty;
3. They presided over the greatest increase in spending 2000 – 2006 until Obama.
4. they enacted No Child Left Behind’
5. They enacted Medicare Part D
6. The GOP has never reduced spending;
7. The GOP has never repealed a single gov’t program.

But we are constantly told we have to vote GOP because other wise the left will win.

the left wins either way. You are supporting the left by supporting the GOP.

the GOP will not change until it is destroyed. then, and only then, will it make a decision to move to the right. Until that day comes, it will continue playing the same game – telling us it is for limited gov’t and low spending while always, always, always increasing the size of gov’t and increasing spending.

those are facts. Nothing I said above can be refuted. Emotional children will come on after me and claim I am “crazy” or “extreme” for not supporting the GOP. But they cannot refute a single point I have just made.

So. If you vote GOP in the mid-terms, you are voting for Obamacare and for Amnesty. I don’t care how conservative the candidate you actually vote for pretends to be – you are voting for a party, not a person. the party determines what happens and the party is leftist. So, if you vote for a GOP candidate, you vote for Obamcare and you vote for Amnesty. And you vote for increased spending. And you vote for increased gov’t.

It is truly as simple as that.

Monkeytoe on April 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

FOUR MILLION REPUBLICANS DID NOT VOTE IN 2012. If amnesty passes, there won’t be four million republicans left.

fight like a girl on April 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Sorry Meow, joana not joanna. My most humble apologies to you both.

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

This smug sow is a DIABLO, Democrat in all but label only.

h/t LegendHasIt

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM

The point in what is happening and the way it is happening with GOP appearing grudgingly to go along is just for show. This is all done this way to prevent a civil uprising by those who see the country slipping away which it is doing. Politics isn’t gonna stop this. The fix is in. Really only one way left to save the country and that door will close soon also.

bgibbs1000 on April 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Where do you get the 20 million figure? I agree that 11 is probably wrong but does anyone really know?

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I don’t think anyone really DOES know. Hence why they’re illegal, and “in the shadows”. I contend the actual number is much higher, between 40 and 50 million.

Remember, the Regime is intentionally low-balling the number for several reasons. They focus tested the 11 million number as the highest number they could shovel out to the public that wouldn’t cause mass demonstrations.

Also, the Regime, and some in the GOP wanted the number as low as possible so as to lessen the ammunition the “secure the border first” crowd would be able to use on them.

This entire amnesty scheme is, just like everything else from this Regime, a complete lie, and total scam, on the American taxpayer.

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Sorry Meow, joana not joanna. My most humble apologies to you both.

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

That crazy woman stabbed my ham, left the knife right in there. Probably answers to both voices in her head. I would love to hear her take on illegal immigration.

TinFin on April 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM

TinFin on April 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Lolz! I gave up, not without a parting shot mind you. So if I turn up missing let Schadenfreude know which thread it was on. ; )

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

1. They admit they will not repeal Obamacare;
2. They will pass an amnesty;
4. they enacted No Child Left Behind’
5. They enacted Medicare Part D
6. The GOP has never reduced spending;
7. The GOP has never repealed a single gov’t program.

the left wins either way. You are supporting the left by supporting the GOP.

It is truly as simple as that.

Monkeytoe on April 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Well said, and I’m in total agreement.

I dumped my GOP affiliation after the 2012 embarrassment, after being a registered (R) for all my voting life.

The GOP backstabbing is forcing me to conclude the only way I can reliably clean house in the GOP, is to vote (D) until all the (D)-Lite (R)’s are defeated, then vote for real Conservatives for Congress.

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM

My point, which totally went over your head (and that isn’t hard to do) is that you were commenting on how much better illegals are then the “citizens” of Detroit and Chicago. They are “slightly” better in areas like illegitimacy (53% vs. 71%) and incarceration in federal prisons (34% vs. 39%). They still negatively impact the nation in virtually every measure.

bw222 on April 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Nor is it hard to take whatever stats you want and twist them…you were not giving stats on “illegals” but on people with Hispanic surnames.
What you are saying is that Hispanics, not illegals, but Hispanics are a scourge on society…

Some of the stats you left out…59% of the prison population is white…

37% Black
35% Hispanic
Native American 1.7%
Asian 1%

Notice the math? Because some are double counted because it is hard to determine “what they are”…

Forget the stats…congress wants you to focus on “illegals” and not the border, because the border is where they make their money.

right2bright on April 28, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Your eyes don’t see 101% either :)

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM

The close number is 20 million here now illegally. Once you say they will be amnestied another 5 million will cross the border and take part, then those 25 million will be allowed to bring family in a chain migration pushing the number up around 30 low end and 60 high end.

If they decide to allow them to file taxes for the years they supposedly did not, expect to have the debt of the nation instantly jump by about half a trillion dollars as they suck the refundable tax credits dry in one fell swoop.

There can be no good in legalizing those who broke our laws entering and more laws working in our nation. Leave them underground until we have the moral willpower to do what is right, ship them back home and their their nations pay for their welfare.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I agree it’s “probably” much higher and that the supporters of immigration reform are low-balling it. I just wish there was a good source for info on this.

I think someone must have a good figure – they aren’t in the “shadows”: they have jobs, they attend church, they show up for medical care, they use banking services, etc., to send money home. It can’t be that hard to figure it out.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Because they said 11 million over 10 years ago.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM

It’s an excellent idea if losing is the goal, which it clearly is. They wouldn’t want amnesty if winning was the goal.

Legalization isn’t going to be contingent on anything more than making sure there’s enough ink for all the rubber-stamping of legalization papers that will follow, no matter who comes up with the bill.

xblade on April 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I saw 18 million trotted out back around 2008 2009 time frame.

2006 it is.

There may be as many as 20 million illegal immigrants in the US today – more than twice the official Census Bureau estimate, according to Bear Stearns researchers Robert Justich and Betty Ng.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Your eyes don’t see 101% either :)

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM

No doubt. I’m just tired. A wee bit worried about someone today. Think I’ll stop commenting now for a bit. Better to stop while I’m ahead. See you later…………..?

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I don’t think we’ll need to ship them home – if we enforce the law on the people employing them (and most of them are employed in retail and service industries) they’ll go home or won’t come.

There will always be some but it will be a manageable number.

It’s just ridiculous that this is even as issue.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Because they said 11 million over 10 years ago.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM

That’s exactly why I think 40-50 million is closer to the actual number. That was over 10 years ago, and even then they were low-balling it to fit their agenda.

Any number like this, that comes from the Government, you can reliably triple or even quadruple, and that gets you much closer to reality.

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM

The biggest number I’ve heard is about 30 million, and it’s the one I believe. The 11 million number has been bandied about for close to a decade as Schad pointed out. I’m expect things like chain migration to bump it up to 40-50 million. Honestly, this amnesty is more like a de facto merger with Mexico at this point.

Maybe something to that old North American Union conspiracy theory after all.

Doomberg on April 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Thanks!

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Oh, we will have to ship many of them back home. Gang members, drug dealers, the people doing lawncare and day job laborers and nannies. They will not self deport.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

There will always be some but it will be a manageable number.

It’s just ridiculous that this is even as issue.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

While I agree, that’s who needs to have major penalties and jail time for employing illegals. BUT, therein lies the rub. Those people, the ones employing them, are the ones that have all the money and lobbying influence to ensure they are NEVER punished for it.

The businesses employing the illegals are the ones paying the GOP to pass amnesty.

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Maybe something to that old North American Union conspiracy theory after all.

Doomberg on April 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Let’s just invade Mexico then. Might as well get the resources if we have to take care of their excess population.

Just kidding.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:48 PM

“National Journal poll shows Obama an anchor on midterm Senate hopes.”

Yet, RINOs like Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, speaker John Boehner, leaders Eric Cantor and Cathy McMorris-Rodgers are the ‘corks’ Dems are hoping for to keep them afloat.

Why vote GOP when their only goal is amnesty? They are hellbent on destroying the country and two party system by handing over citizenship to 20+ million new voters, 80-85% will vote Dems mostly concentrated in those red states in the south, but I should vote GOP because they are somehow different on issues from Dems? Conservatives show a clear contrast to not only Dems but to RINOs as well, but what Conservative is in a leadership position or will be moved into a leadership position after the midterms? Answer = NONE!

Republicans have caved into EVERYTHING the Dems wanted in budgets. It took a while, but sequestration is gone and Obamacare is funded, not through direct votes from the GOP, but voting for cloture when the filibuster is gone and only 51 votes are needed when they have 55 Dems voting is the same as voting for the bill itself. We are told not to talk about the social issues, we are told we have to pass CR’s or budgets funding the government because we get blamed for a shutdown, we are told vote for this now and live to fight another day. Just keep kicking the can down the road indefinitely. When is enough enough?

We have no representation in Washington with any power. They’re about to hand over Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Louisiana to the Dems, and there’s nothing you can do about it including voting. If you vote GOP this midterm, you are just giving more power to RINOs. The primaries are the only hopes, but it’s not going to happen.

My advice, skip investing in stocks, bonds, gold, gems… move your money to fertile land, learn how to grow your own food and invest in lead, plenty of lead.

CommieJuice on April 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Wake up America, or go under altogether.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Why waste time trying to put together anything on “border security” as the President will never enforce it.
If the push for amnesty back in ’07(?) melted the phone lines on Capitol Hill, this attempt should shut down the entire grid in MD/VA.
We could see Congressmen/women “doing the Rostenkowski” at town-hall meetings as they run down streets attempting to escape the mobs -
Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch.

Another Drew on April 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM

The GOP is like a sniveling beta dude, and the Hispanic voting bloc is his hot platonic female friend. She’ll complain about what a jerk her boyfriend is, and he’ll listen to her, let her cry on his shoulder, make her crepes, pick up her dry cleaning, walk her dog.

Then she’ll go back home and sleep with her loser boyfriend.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Gang members and drug dealers: Kill them. Not much sympathy there.

lawncare, nannies, etc: I don’t really care as long as they aren’t eligible for gov’t assistance. But I guess that’s why they’re pushing for legalization. Fill those jobs with legal immigrants and the illegals will go home?

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:54 PM

xblade on April 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

^^^^ This !!

fabrexe on April 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Oooh look. A shiny red button that says self destruct! Wonder what it does?

Minnfidel on April 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Unerring GOP timing to sabatoge their midterm chances.

Okay by me because I’m out of this ship of fools.

rrpjr on April 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Gang members and drug dealers: Kill them. Not much sympathy there.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Cannot undercut illegal labor prices, and they do get welfare, I turned one person in for collecting welfare and I got a state Department of Revenue review for my troubles, they continued to collect welfare.

These are the underground jobs.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Let’s face ir. The US is about to be annexed by Mexico. I guess turnabout is fair play. lol.

trigon on April 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM

The fact of the matter, is that this reality, given that McConnell is ALL FOR amnesty, AND is now basically admitting that he and the rest of the GOPe lied to us all (AGAIN) about ObamaGlitch, needs to propel Matt Bevin to victory in KY.

Conservatives and Tea Party in KY, make it happen!

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM

ir = it.

trigon on April 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM

There is an ad at the top of this thread saying H1B visas create jobs. How do I keep missing all the articles outlining how H1B visa workers create jobs? And when is Paul Ryan finally going to tell us how illegals are going to save our economy? They must mean save the economy for too big to fail businesses who rig the job market with cheap foreign labor.

Where are we going and what are we doing in this hand basket?

magicbeans on April 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM

We’re now into full national political psychosis.

One party is de facto communists, and the other eager collaborationists. And both trying to feign seriousness as if they still retained any legitimacy.

Complete madness.

rrpjr on April 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Did we just pass the deadline for registering for primaries? Feels like it. Roaches coming out of the cracks…

bofh on April 28, 2014 at 2:07 PM

One more thing. Like water seeking its level, we’ll still have exactly the same number of illegal aliens in the U.S. unless something is done regarding employer motivation, and amnesty does nothing to address that.

Example:

Gustav (illegal from Germany) works as a day laborer plumbing houses. Amnesty passes and he’s now fully cleared to work above-board. Since he speaks fluent Austrian he is offered a job at Home Depot since his experience and language will be helpful communicating with other Germans who are flooding the construction job market, and Home Depot hired Gustav instead of Anthony (from Florence, SC).

Anthony (Florence, S.C.), who is the same age as Gustav and with identical experience/years plumbing houses, had applied for the job after taking two years of Austrian in the evenings at his local community.

Sorry Anthony. Gustav can legally compete against you now.

Now back to the employer. He volunteers to drop Gustav off for his first day at Home Depot because he needs to pick up one of the nameless, faceless Germans waiting in the parking lot ***because he still needs (and can hire with few worries or repercussions) cheap, invisible, cash-only day laborers***.

He doesn’t care about their legal status.

End result? Fewer legal jobs available to qualified applicants all around, and the exact same number of illegal aliens still working in the U.S.

rogerb on April 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Outlander on April 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I have a serious problem with it. They are paid slave wages and are defacto indentured servants.

Take for example the current company working on the 404 Care website. They pay H1-B chief software architects 25k a year!

You’re ok with crushing middle class wages?

dogsoldier on April 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Do you all remember what happened when Smithfield got busted a couple years ago? Managers were hiring illegals and making them kickback part of their pay.

When they got caught and the illegals had to leave, a line of US Citizens four across and a quarter mile long formed up to apply for the jobs.

Anyone telling you Americans won’t do the work IS A LIAR anyone telling you they cannot find Americans to work IS A LIAR.

American will not and should not be forced to work for what third world slaves will work for.

Remember, places like Smithfield, Apple, Microsoft and other increase profits by cutting wages. Why is the iPad made in a factory in China?

We won’t work for 54 cents a day.

dogsoldier on April 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM

You’re ok with crushing middle class wages?

dogsoldier on April 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Look what happened to Europe, and our auto industry for that matter, when they tried to artificially keep wages up.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Apples and oranges comparison. Comparing slavery to fair market value for service is always an unreasonable measure.

This is a deliberate attempt by big business to completely crush the middle class, which will in turn completely kill the economy.

I ask again, are you ok with that? I haven’t had a raise in 14 years. In fact my wages and their value have steadily declined during that period, but the incompetent nephews and ignorant cousins I have worked for are making more and more all the time.

dogsoldier on April 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM

dogsoldier on April 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Your right. First our jobs left because they could produce things in China and Mexico more cheaply, never mind its all junk, now they want us to hand over any jobs left here at home. Why not pay an engineer or an IT guy what they are worth? Greed, that’s why. This is about the greed of guys like Zuckerberg who make billions and how they intend to make our country into nothing special and live like kings.

We should drag these POS through the streets and dump their bodies at the border. I know that’s gonna’ catch me a bunch of flack but I don’t care.

magicbeans on April 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM

fight like a girl on April 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I wonder how many more Republicans have already begun to walk away. Every time one of these GOPe elitist fools opens their mouth another Republican reaches their break point.

Those donations, volunteers and votes have to be dwindling.

lynncgb on April 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM

There will always be some but it will be a manageable number.

It’s just ridiculous that this is even as issue.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

While I did vote for the (D)-Lite (R)’s in ’08 and again in ’12.

As soon as Romney lost, and I started hearing the GOPe losers blaming ME as a Conservative, instead of their weak-a$$, (D)-Lite candidates, well, that’s when I dumped the GOP.

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Sorry, wrote quote in this.

Meant to quote this post:

Those donations, volunteers and votes have to be dwindling.

lynncgb on April 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Meople on April 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Depending on what the GOP does in the next few months, I may well be registering as a dim before November. (Wow.)

At least I can make history by voting for the first female POTUS (i.e., Hildebeest).

Yuck.

hurl

MisterElephant on April 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM

-Allahpundit

Thank you to Allahpundit for reporting this. That is indeed the game they are playing.

Earlier Susanna Martinez (whom I had a lot of hope for, sadly ) gives away part of the strategy that pro-amnesty Republicans are using. They are avoiding the word “amnesty” and even denying that they are for amnesty.

The governor also said she hopes the party can change their tone, eliminating words like “amnesty” from the debate.

After chatting with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer a few minutes before, she said that Arizona’s restrictive immigration law is not the type she would implement in her state.
“And it can be tackled without using the word amnesty,” she said. “People can be in this country legally and contributing, and they can come here to do all kinds of jobs, not just jobs Americans don’t want, all kinds of jobs, get educated, the whole nine yards, but be here legally. And there’s a variety of ways of receiving that kind of status.”

bluegill on April 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I have been disgusted to see supposed conservative media allies, including some other bloggers at the site, avoid using the term “illegal alien amnesty.” Instead we get vague and even positive sounding terms like “immigration reform.”

There is an effort to blur the line between legal and illegal illegal immigration.

Most Americans oppose illegal alien amnesty. Don’t let anyone tell you that there is a strong desire out there among voters for amnesty or that immigration law enforcement is merely a concern of the conservative “base.”

That’s why pro-amnesty supporters have to lie to voters, hide their true intentions and pay for ads like this:

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/ecrUDjMlf5s. (Gives impression Graham and Rubio are for getting “tough” on illegal aliens)

And here’s a Zuckerberg-funded, fake “conservative” ad that tries to trick voters into thinking the Republican sellout amnesty proposal is what’s needed to “get tough” on illegals:

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/l9XRF_kqIN4

bluegill on April 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM

bluegill on April 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

With 25 million unemployed Americans, WE DO NOT NEED THESE PEOPLE. They can go home and they MUST go home.

Notice too how hey completely ignore the expansion of the “guest worker” programs that will steal good paying mile class jobs?

Notice how they fail to mention all the other PORK in the bill?

dogsoldier on April 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Three House Republicans signal new push on immigration reform is coming

Why?
Is that a pressing issue that the people want focused on?
These traitors are not governing, they are ruling.
They.Don’t.Care.What.The.People.Need.

Mimzey on April 28, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I’ve long held that the GOP is a left-of-center party, that tries to sell itself as right of center.

And, it has long been apparent that the GOP generally dislikes, even hates, conservatives. The GOP hated Reagan before he won. the GOP hated Rockefeller when he ran. The GOP hates Cruz and dislikes Rand. The GOP never vehemently attacks any Democrat – no matter how disgusting and vicious the dem – yet the GOP holds nothing back when attacking conservatives.

So, why would the GOP do something as stupid as a) admit it likes Obamacare and intends to keep it and b) pass amnesty right now, when all the GOP really had to do was shut its mouth and win big in the mid-terms?

Because the GOP wants to defeat conservatives. The GOP currently believes it is going to win the house and senate in the mid-terms no matter what. So, it figures it can openly and thoroughly stab conservatives in the back right now and still win the mid-terms.

Then, after the mid terms, the GOP can proclaim that conservatives are unnecessary for GOP victories. the thought here being that conservatives will be so despondent, we will accept it and go back to the GOP, and stop causing any waves as the GOP lurches ever further leftward.

So, our options are 1) accept this and vote for the GOP anyway because “at least it isn’t democrats” or 2) sit out en masse and hope the GOP loses big during the midterms and hope the GOP thereafter realizes its mistake.

Option 1 leaves us with Obamacare, amnesty, increased spending, increased gov’t, etc.

Option 2 leaves us with the same, but with some potential hope that the GOP decides to abandon its leftward march.

So, our option is to support a march to the left or attempt to force the GOP to give up that march to the left.

voting GOP in the mid-terms is accepting and condoning a march to the left. Are you in favor of a march to the left? that is the only question.

Monkeytoe on April 28, 2014 at 3:41 PM

HINT TO CONGRESS: Vote for amnesty, then call Ryder and reserve your moving van. You’ll need it come November.

GarandFan on April 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM

kcewa

Who said anything about artificially keeping wages up? How about we do neither and let wages rise or fall naturally?

xblade on April 28, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Immigrants (legal and illegal) prefer Democrats by a 2:1 margin.

Valiant on April 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM

It’s time for the conservative base to split from the Republican SELL-OUTS. They need us. We do not need them. I pray that a charismatic conservative steps up and starts calling for a split. After now pushing for illegal alien amnesty, and “fixing” Obamacare instead of repealing it, it is clear that leadership does not wish to represent and has turned into a cabal of control. It is time to take our votes and LEAVE these degenerates to their own party. This is the only conservative action short of “watering the tree of liberty” that is both ethical and needed to save our Republic.

dominigan on April 28, 2014 at 4:10 PM

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM

What steps would those be? What has the government done to attempt to maintain or increase wages? The government has done nothing except encourage the type of environment that would ensure that wages stagnated or fell, which is really the same thing since the FED demands a low but stead inflation rate. Greenspan actively wanted to suppress the wages of tech workers, and there is video of him stating that.

DFCtomm on April 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Reform” (please note the quotes) is a cinch for passage. The deal’s already been made.

That’s why Dems have double-downed on the
anti-woman and racist attacks. And, have been quiet on immigration “reform”… so as not to jinx it.

Within 72 hours of the pens being passed around at the “bipartisan” Obama “Mission Accomplished” signing ceremony, Reid & Pelosi will say, “Sure some GOPers finally did the right thing for immigrants… but only with Dem votes. They still hate women, gays and every other minority.”

And, the GOP “intelligentsia” will looked stunned that Dems will still tar them as the “Party of Hate”… yet again.

LaserBeam on April 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Scare #5, 2014.

Diaz-Balart is old news. He always says its going to happen, nothing has changed with him.

This is just the lazy man’s post, to rattle the monkey cages.

It’s like you don’t even try anymore.

Adjoran on April 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM

You keep saying holding them to account, how? Phone calls?

I have told you, over and over, you seem to need for me to repeat myself.

You can call them up, persuade them, ring their phone off the wall. Send them letters. Threaten to withhold money for their campaign war-chest. You can threaten to move your business out of their district. You can stop doing business with the people who support them. You can primary them. You can write editorials that influence their voters. You can protest and yes, you can vote for someone else who you think will represent you better if they stand a good chance of getting elected. There are a million ways to bring pressure to bear if you are credible, organized and sane.

“My side” hasn’t done this. Their side has. They have the grade schools, the press, the media, the pop culture, academia, and on and on. Now you want to surrender the political to them as the solution to them out working conservatives in every other arena. Make no mistake, -out working- is what they have done. I have seen it first hand in their get out the vote drive while “my side” sits on their ass and wallows in self pity and finger pointing, even dreaming of “patriotic collapse” and “voting for socialists out of conservative principles”. There is no conservative principle more fundamental then “work”. They are working toward a cohesive, self supporting system in a disciplined fashion and have been for decades, “we” are making excuses and indulging in fantasies.

Lighting your hair on fire and vowing to vote for democrats out of conservative principles in a full on temper tantrum because other people haven’t done the above to your satisfaction and openly hoping for the worst for the country is not going to fly anywhere outside of an online pi$sing contest with people who have too much time to kill. It wont “work”, it can’t work. It’s not a viable strategy for anything other than deliberately killing what’s left of the republic. (Which you have acknowledged is your objective.)

V7_Sport on April 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I guess you are right V7_sport you never did say it was worthless, you just simply make it worthless. Look at the qualifiers, you must vote, but vote for the person that can win. I do not consent to their RULE OVER ME. They do not get my vote. If the want it, they have to earn it. Representing me, not representing me slightly better than the other person.

This is the reason the party has drifted leftward every single election in the last generation save one. The 2010 elections. What happened to cause the 2010 elections to skew to the right? Hint, it was not Obama specifically… It was that the party had been sent into the wilderness to stew on what the hell they were doing wrong. Unfortunately, we did not leave them there long enough.

astonerii on April 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM

LaserBeam on April 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM

You got it. Irremediable stupidity and cowardice. No hope. I mean it — the GOP is HOPELESS.

rrpjr on April 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Lump me in with these 5 and Boehner and Paul Ryan.

ZachV

Cool. There’s about 4 billion of them on the planet, if not more. Can they stay at your house? And I guess we can put you down as supporting slavery as well. You know, because we used to believe in that as well.

Our farming economy on California has relied on inexpensive seasonal labor to get food to our tables.

crosspatch

The south used to rely on inexpensive labor too. I guess we need to bring slavery back.

xblade on April 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

“My side” hasn’t done this. Their side has.

V7_Sport

With the support of your side. In the name of compromise of course. And one can only laugh at the claim of “your side hasn’t done this” in a thread detailing how your side is currently doing it, lol.

xblade on April 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Go the House Republican website — there’s no way to contact them. They don’t want to hear from you. Just a bunch of BS and pretty pictures with feature stories on the latest photogenic so-called conservative RINO sell-out like Christie Noem somebody.

rrpjr on April 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM

That was a short career, Cathy Rogers.

stenwin77 on April 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Wow. Just wow.

I mean, this really shows how stupid the so-called GOP “leadership” truly is. Not only is amnesty stupid, but they push this right before what should be a slam dunk mid-term election?

What a bunch of absolute morons.

The700Level on April 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Acknowledging the grail of political clout, donor dollars, and the US Chamber of Commerce’ social/ economic agenda all have tentacles wrapped around _amnesty_ by any other name, but still pushing the _humanitarian_ aspect of illegals in the USA: They still (are blatantly Allowed to) come here to make life better for themselves and families, are hard workers, share similar cultural norms, etc.

Two quite salient points include: 1) The cost of bearing the extended and extensive, multiple layers of burden for the illegals by American Citizens is Wholly Unacceptable Coercion; 2) The humanitarian actions to execute would quite reasonably be, Fix Mexico Before Amnesty in USA.

“Jobs” would be _made_ for Americans sufficiently intrepid to navigate the corruption and violence there; families would be re-united in native countries with economic incentives; _hope_ would be restored for both Mexico et al and USA; citizens from both/ all pertinent countries would face some degree of soul-searching to self-determine allegiance, priorities, accountabilities, and the like in (re)defining their individual position/s in life, and neighbors could simply be good neighbors, working trade, services, resources, and more.

Perhaps more people, eg politicians wielding _power_ and their sycophants, would make an opportunity or two to Clearly see the replicating mutual benefits of proper boundaries, both personal and geo-political.

KissMyAmericanFlag on April 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Note the rhetoric about “legalization, not amnesty,” too.

Yeah … LOL. It treason, not amnesty.

These GOP dirtbags should go straight to friggin hell, where they belong.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on April 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We DO need some mechanism for seasonal work permits. At least we do here in California. For over 100 years, heck, since before California was even a state, the same towns in Mexico have sent workers up to work the farms, groves, and ranches in the
crosspatch on April 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Since we have Defacto Amnesty, why do we need to give these ‘workers’ amnesty? People are crossing our borders every day. Farmers are paying them under the table, and no one is deporting them. So how are they in the shadows? It seems to me that this is a GOP scam to purge conservatives from the party and replace them with illegals. Phase 2 is that the new revised GOP will offer welfare benefits to sweeten the pot, like keep Obamacare and other programs. Everyone knows the GOP will not repeal Obamacare nor do they have the will to fight it. They will offer their fix to try to make it sustainable and push the country over the cliff

Brock Robamney on April 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

“We’re going to have to push that this is a legal status, not amnesty,”

If these Republican fools think the pressure is intense now, making the illegals, in effect, second class citizens will give the Democrats a huge club to beat them with every minute of every day.

And to top if off, it’s a losing strategy, instead of a Republican wave election like 2010, having Conservatives revolt will be devastating for the Republican Party.

RJL on April 28, 2014 at 6:42 PM

GOP, will never win another national election……………..If you pass this mess and give the US away….

woody66 on April 28, 2014 at 7:27 PM

V7_Sport on April 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Here’s is the course of action* I intend to take, and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

*Video NSFW

DFCtomm on April 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

crosspatch on April 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Are you aware that we already have guest worker programs, or are you retarded? They aren’t used because they stipulate a certain base level living conditions and wages that are more expensive than illegal aliens. My question to you is: why you think a government guest worker program will ever be cheaper than illegal aliens? If this is the case then a guest worker program will not solve the illegal alien problem.

DFCtomm on April 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM

O/T Gov of Alabama asking people to find safe places as several tornadoes are in the area. State of Emergency declared in entire State.

Next storms are heading to Atlanta/Macon GA.

bluefox on April 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Scandal plagued President who continues to violate both Constitution and law…

Over 92 million Americans dropped out of the job market…

Un-Constitutional, non-representative Obamacare that has cost millions f Americans their jobs, doctors, and health insurance…

Un-Constitutional spying, abuse of the IRS to target citizens our President calls his personal political enemies…

17+ trillion in debt due to record-setting deficit spending and the explosion of economic slavery social programs…

Record-setting government-created welfare, food stamps, unemployment…

And the GOP are banning together to attempt to tell US…dictate TO us…that our biggest need, our biggest priority…our DUTY…is not to resolve any of the disasters THE POLITICIANS created … our duty is NOT to ONE ANOTHER…but our DUTY is to reward criminals who have no respect for our Constitution or laws (like Obama)…criminals who not THAT long ago march in the streets by the millions carry signs saying they are here for what they can get – not citizenship…our duty is to grant amnesty to those who cheated the system so any are going through legally to become Americans.

Our citizen-elected politicians are putting illegals ahead of those they have sworn to represent, protect, and help! Congratulations Boehner, McConnel, and you other GOP – YOU HAVE ERASED ANY AND ALL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Americans were promised the borders would be secured, closed, eliminating any possibility that THIS would ever happen again…and here we are again at the threshhold of yet another granting of Amnesty due to promises broken…but they promise THIS time they WILL secure the border and this will NEVER happen again. Our nation was created by honest men and has degraded into a country where our politicians have so little respect for us that they constantly lie, pass edicts, and aid criminals whose votes they want to earn without fear of repercussion.

Will the last American out please bring the flag?!

easyt65 on April 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

easyt65 on April 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Don’t worry. I don’t think they intend to make that promise again this time.

DFCtomm on April 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Will the last American out please bring the flag?!

easyt65 on April 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Sadly, what you’ve said is true. On the Rand Paul thread on Obamacare, I said the following:

The main problem is that we have a one Party system; Executive, Judicial & Legislative. One Branch lies and the other two swear to it.

bluefox on April 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Check out Breitbart & commenter garyinaz66:

bluefox on April 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Creepy

SouthernGent on April 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Waterboard her!

Jayrae on April 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM

We used to be a nation of laws. Did enforcement work all the time? No but the foundation was and is there.

IF the Republicans start backing immigration amnesty (and they won’t call it that – but it is) they are supporting a democrat president and democrat attorney general who break the law.

This is not about anything but capitulation. The Dems are on the run and Boehner decides he has to “do” something. If he believes what the dems tell him, he no longer deserves to be the Speaker. Dems, unfortunately, lie far too often.

What about immigrants who came here legally? Just b/c you have a border w/ the USA and your country is in a shambles, does not give anyone the right to take from others who built a nation, that so far, has worked better than any other. Will the success continue? Not if the Rs capitulate. And face it, a massive “ok you broke the law” immigration bill is capitulation.

UNFAIR

MN J on April 29, 2014 at 6:59 AM

“My side” hasn’t done this. Their side has.

V7_Sport

xblade on April 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Don’t bother. The GOP could support pure socialism and sporto would continue to support the GOP. That the GOP consistently pursues leftism does not shake his tribal allegiance.

His is tribal thinking. It doesn’t matter what the GOP does, it is his tribe and he will support it no matter what. He has no thought to actual outcomes or principals, only to tribal support.

there are many like Sporto who comment here. They will never see the light. They are frogs in boiling water. Each day the GOP turns a little more leftward, and each day they sit in the water thinking how nice it is, never stopping to consider how far left the GOP has moved. And they never will. They are happy in their boiling pots.

There are, however, many, many, many others who see what has become of the GOP and want no part of it any longer. We understand that the GOP is actually the biggest obstacle to conservatism, because the GOP coopts conservatives into believing we are achieving something by voting GOP all the while the GOP sells us out to the left. By doing so, the GOP keeps us in check for the left, keeps us from agitating. Keeps us from protesting. Keeps us from fermenting a new party. The GOP is the left’s steam valve for conservatism. It allows the left to blow off conservative steam so that we never accomplish anything.

The GOP is intentionally the left’s best useful idiots.

Monkeytoe on April 29, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Three House Republicans signal new push for immigration reform coming. Flash!!!! Three new job openings in the House of Representatives coming soon. Only those opposed the amnesty need apply.

casaler on April 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM

At least with Obamacare, the Republicans could say, not a single one of them voted for the bill. Now they seem to be entirely willing to shove “immigration reform” down our throats, against our will. We no longer have representative government. We have two political parties doing what is in THEIR best interests, not what is in the country’s and the peoples’ best interest. Just how can they justify importing workers, with tens of millions of Americans out of work?

kjatexas on April 29, 2014 at 10:39 AM

When the next attack on America happens because all of these cowards refused to secure the border, it should be on their head. They are putting conditions on border security instead of doing what it was meant for them to do. It was not meant for the federal government to be all powerful and regulate everything in your life. The purpose of the federal government was meant to keep Americans safe, not in a police state, but in a secure country with borders and laws that protect the citizens from invading hordes! Instead these cowards want to treat the border as a tool of leverage – if you don’t give them 10′s of millions more new ‘fertile’ ‘loving’ voters, you are a racist, bigot, homophobic, hate mongering, greedy, imperial Capitalist pig.

In the end, every single responsible politician needs to be held to account for the attack coming from the border by we the citizens, especially by the family and friends of the victims. It’s not just the southern border, it’s the northern border as well. In fact, the northern border could pose more of a threat than the southern border as far as terrorism goes. Look at the path Islamists takes… Iran/Iraq/Syria/Jordan/Egypt to Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia to London, London to Canada, Canada to Michigan, Michigan to wherever they desire inside America.

It’s simple. NO AMNESTY EVER… IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM! Secure the d%$# borders or be held personally responsible for the next attack.

CommieJuice on April 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM

1) The GOP leadership wants what the dems do.

2) Those same people are being told by big donors to give them amnesty or else.

3) They actually believe amnesty will allow them to kick those evil Conservatives from the GOP and make their votes uneeded.

Hard Right on April 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Ms. Rodgers is typical of the establishment wing and is only trumpeting what the Speaker, her mentor tells her.

I am over the GOP and they will not get more of my money. We usually donate to the party around presidential elections but not any more.

FireBlogger on April 29, 2014 at 9:24 PM