She’s back: Mia Love clinches the Republican nomination in Utah’s 4th

posted at 9:21 pm on April 28, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Former Republican mayor of Saratoga Springs Mia Love didn’t waste much time after losing to incumbent Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson by fewer than 800 votes in 2012 to announce that she planned to try, try again to represent Utah’s 4th Congressional district, and then in December, Matheson announced that he was retiring from the seat. I missed this over the weekend, but Love did indeed secure the Republican nomination on Saturday — and since she’ll now be facing a non-incumbent in a district Romney took by a 37-point margin in 2012, the GOP is feeling pretty jazzed about her prospects. Via The Hill:

Rising GOP star Mia Love handily secured the Republican nominee Saturday to replace retiring Rep. Jim Matheson’s (D-Utah).

The former Saratoga Springs, Utah, mayor raked in more than 78 percent of the vote at the party’s nominating convention, while businessman Bob Fuehr received just about 22 percent, according to multiple reports. The victory makes her one step closer to becoming the first black female Republican ever elected to Congress.

Now, she will face off against Democrat Doug Owens, a Salt Lake City attorney who garnered 98 percent of his party’s support at his own party’s convention.

Love quickly became a party favorite after her 2012 Republican National Convention speech captured national attention. In the speech, she talked about her parents’ immigration to the U.S. from Haiti, and attacked President Obama for policies that she said failed to improve the country.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Meow

Bmore on April 29, 2014 at 10:05 AM

CTSherman on April 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM

The real question now will be whether joana still supports her after she’s been “outed” as a full on crazy gun supporter like us TrueCons!

dominigan on April 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM

That is pure genius.

Stoic Patriot on April 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I recall a Dhimmi candidate for governor in Florida about 30 years ago doing something similar. Although it started a as a stunt, I think it did actually make a dent in his hubris.

oldleprechaun on April 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM

If she wasn’t weren’t black, 99% of the TruCons© here would have no idea about who she is.

joana on April 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

FIFY. You’re getting a squiggly line under wasn’t because you need to use the subjunctive mood. You’re expressing a condition contrary to fact. And, here, that fact is she is black. That’s the fact, Jack joanna.

BuckeyeSam on April 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Progressives… Wow. The ONLY reason she’s gets attention is she Black, Mormon and a Women? Sad way to view the world, dependent on seeing folks as what group they belong to instead of as individuals.

I would suggest is she also is observant, thinking, productive, motivated, has ideas and principles. Traits lacking in Progressive circles.

BTW, the first black female Secretary of State was also a Republican (Condoleezza Rice). But she was not chosen for being black and female, but because she had a degree in Soviet Studies from Stanford. With the recent belligerence of Russia, such a qualification would be greatly needed in the current Secretary of State, and has been woefully lacking in our last two Secretaries of State.

As for Mia Love being Mormon, so are about 45% of the population of the Salt Lake valley of Utah–her religion will be viewed positively in that district.

Steve Z on April 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Hmmm, that’s odd. It seems that the only black women GOP candidate who is viable for a House race is, like most black women candidates, pursuing election in a large urban area, one of the largest in the that leans Republican. Because her constituents are urban, shouldn’t we discount her eventual win because of voter fraud. I thought there was no democracy in the cities

libfreeorgan on April 29, 2014 at 4:17 AM

…so the inarticulate race stalking hustler never misses an opportunity…couldn’t sleep huh?

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM

KMC1 on April 29, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Safe to say this is another agitator troll.

Your points are counter-factual. You can provide some credible cites to clear this up, of course. If they actually exist.

Marcus Traianus on April 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Go Mia !

kjatexas on April 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Yeah, but is she authentically black? I mean, you know, a ‘down-for-the-struggle’ kind of black?

She acts white, you know. Must be an oreo.

/(wow, do I get extra points for making a rhyme?)

Harbingeing on April 29, 2014 at 11:25 AM

oldleprechaun on April 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I do not know for certain, but my impression is that both Tim Scott and Mia Love are Frederick Douglass Republicans. This group supports 4 empowering values:
1) Respect for the US Constitution
2) Respect for life
3) Belief in Limited government
4) Belief in personal responsibility

FD Repubs do include an emphasis on social issues, just like SoCons do, except that FD Repubs have a broader view (i.e.poverty, education, healthcare, etc. rather than narrower issues like abortion) Relatively strong support for traditionalism in the form of traditional marriage, traditional families, etc. A lot of black Americans are drawn to this branch of Republicanism.

Even though I’m white, I have broad social interests, which puts me closer to the FD Repubs on the political spectrum than I would be to someone who focuses on a narrower scope of social issues.

A lot of people don’t know that FD Repubs even exist, and this just seemed a good opportunity to share of this information.

lineholder on April 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM

If she wasn’t black, 99% of the TruCons© here would have no idea about who she is.

joana on April 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

And most liberals don’t know who their own elected officials are.

zoyclem on April 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM

CTSherman on April 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Thanks! You spared me from having to stick his nose in it and smack him with a rolled up newspaper.

Buttercup on April 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Mia Love: about to make libturd heads explode in November.

conservative hispanic on April 29, 2014 at 11:42 AM

… my first lesbian crush.
coldpubichair on April 29, 2014 at 12:51 AM

…yes we know…and you’ve been ‘reading here’ long before…anybody posted here!

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM

For livelikeaslave and the other azzholes around here.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM

…I must be one of the azzholes!…thanks for the link!…what the he11 happened to her face?…doesn’t she use the same clothes iron that the ketchup gigolo… uses on his face?

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM

This isn’t the Love that Obama would be attracted to

Doyle Hargrave on April 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM

ME LOVE Mia Love! This is wonderful news for Utah and all conservatives!! YAY!!

ihasurnominashun on April 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Bishop is, and he hooked you!

You’re not very good at this are you?

davidk on April 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Oh I am. I am excellent at “this.” Better than you will imagine. Whatever “this” is.

Davidk right? Is the k short for knothead?

coolrepublica on April 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

If “coolrepublica” is a parody account, then you may good at this but not very good.

I have wondered if “coolrepublica” is a parody account because I can’t imagine anyone really being that dumb. It is a parody account, then that is OK.

I don’t mind debating ideas contrary to mine. It keeps my mind sharp.

Now if “coolrebuplica” was a worthy opponent … .

davidk on April 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I’m sorry. I’m “usually” not that mean, but she just had her chin way out there with so many wrong things going through her mind. I couldn’t resist.

Mia has a long, hard race in front of her with people like joana, jona…..see I’ve already forgotten her name…..going after her with typical progressive disinformation and fraudulent statements. The lying LSM will slice/dice her every which way because she’s such a threat.

avagreen on April 29, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I don’t know if he was in the primary, but joamama was supporting and working for another candidate. Wimmer I think his name was.

Mia Love knew that and when Mia saw one of joamama’s comments somewhere, Mia called her out.

So there’s a history behind all this.

davidk on April 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM

lineholder on April 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM

My adorable and quite liberal Sis posted a Frederick Douglas poster on her FB page with some of his quotes. All of her Lib friends gushed and “liked” until I ruined their little party when I posted a link about Douglas being a Republican!

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress. – Frederick Douglas

BigAlSouth on April 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

BigAlSouth on April 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Haha! I can believe it. Most people are surprised by the political stand of Frederick Douglass.

lineholder on April 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM