Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on April 28, 2014 by Allahpundit

***

In the past, Pope Francis has spoken out against economic systems that reinforce inequality, saying last year that “there was the promise that once the glass had become full it would overflow and the poor would benefit. But what happens is that when it’s full to the brim, the glass magically grows, and thus nothing ever comes out for the poor.” While right-wing American critics have been quick to criticize the pope for his economic remarks, his words appear to resonate with the masses. More than 5,000 people have retweeted the statement within three hours.

***

Could it be that the Pope is weighing in on the fervor sparked by French economist Thomas Piketty’s current bestseller, Capital in the Twenty-First Century?

It’s unclear. But the tweet’s timing — days after the book sold out on Amazon, where it is currently the best-selling book in the U.S. — could suggest the Pope’s support for Piketty, who posits that an unregulated free market creates an ever-widening wealth gap…

The Pontiff’s warning comes months after he called unfettered capitalism “a new tyranny” and urged global leaders to fight growing income inequality in his first major written work as pope.

He laid out the platform for his papacy in the 84-page document last November, attacking the “idolatry of money” and calling on politicians to guarantee all citizens “dignified work, education and healthcare.”

***

The Pope can count headline-grabbing French economist Thomas Piketty and the International Monetary Fund as allies in the fight against inequality…

The IMF’s analysis also undermines warnings from free market supporters that policies to redistribute wealth such as progressive taxes on high earners will discourage “wealth creators” and hamper the economy.

“Redistribution appears generally benign in terms of its impact on growth,” the IMF writes. “Thus the combined direct and indirect effects of redistribution—including the growth effects of the resulting lower inequality—are on average pro-growth.”

The growing chorus against inequality, from across the political and economic spectrum, has thrust it into the centre of public debate, as economists, politicians and pontiffs point out how dangerous the staggering rise in inequality is to the economy and how it needs to be solved.

***

The Latin version of this tweet is even simpler: Iniquitas radix malorum. That phrase has a somewhat different meaning.

Iniquitas can be translated as “inequality,” it’s true. But it also can mean “iniquity” or “injustice,” and in this context either word would make more sense. The same would seem true of the word L’inequita used in the Italian version, which the Pope himself could have written. The Spanish tweet ( desigualdad) admittedly looks more like the English…

However it’s translated, the tweet is an obvious reference to the familiar phrase that “the love of money is the root of all evils.” (Radix malorum est cupiditas) If you assume that the love of money leads to iniquities—and, yes, fosters inequality—then Pope Francis (or his ghost-writer) is making a well-known point in a different way. That’s kinda the purpose of Twitter, isn’t it?

***

Francis has been saying things a lot like this for years, most recently last autumn. Each time, the voices of largely American conservatives explaining that he has been misunderstood get a little less self-assured. It is – even for a Republican party hack – difficult to mistake what the Pope meant, although one site has already made a heroic attempt by translating the tweet into Latin: it appears to be a denunciation of injustice rather than inequality. But in last autumn’s essay, Evangelii Gaudium, Francis wrote that: “Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘Thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills … Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless. As a consequence, masses of people find themselves excluded and marginalised: without work, without possibilities, without any means of escape. Human beings are themselves considered consumer goods to be used and then discarded.”

The claim that human beings have an intrinsic value in themselves, irrespective of their usefulness to other people, is one that unites Christianity and socialism. It can be even found somewhere in the shadows of Marxism, but there humans gain their value from history, and when they stand in its way, that’s tough for them, as the millions of Stalin’s victims could tell us. But if you think the market is the real world, it makes no sense at all, since in the market, value is simply the outcome of supply and demand…

What he really believes is that riches in themselves are bad for people. That is part of the reason he does not live in the papal apartments. This is not a view shared throughout the Catholic hierarchy. Nor is it really, whole-heartedly, shared by the politicians who will praise his views. I don’t see any party anywhere in the world, except perhaps the Greens, running for election on the basis that they will make the voters poorer but more virtuous.

***

In just a year, the business has recovered a lot of its self-confidence. The CEO is popular: 85% of American Catholics—a tough audience—approve of him. Footfall in RC Global’s retail outlets is rising again. The salesforce now talks about a “Francis effect”. How has a septuagenarian Argentine succeeded in galvanising one of the world’s stodgiest outfits? Essentially by grasping three management principles.

The first is a classic lesson in core competences. Francis has refocused his organisation on one mission: helping the poor. One of his first decisions was to forsake the papal apartments in favour of a boarding house which he shares with 50 other priests and sundry visitors. He took the name of a saint who is famous for looking after the poor and animals. He washed and kissed the feet of 12 inmates of a juvenile-detention centre. He got rid of the fur-trimmed velvet capes that popes have worn since the Renaissance, swapped Benedict’s red shoes for plain black ones and ignored his fully loaded Mercedes in favour of a battered Ford.

This new focus has allowed the company to spend fewer resources on ancillary businesses, such as engaging in doctrinal disputes or staging elaborate ceremonies. The “poor-first strategy” is also aimed squarely at emerging markets, where the potential for growth is greatest but competition fiercest.

***

Pope Francis
By Barack Obama

Rare is the leader who makes us want to be better people. Pope Francis is such a leader.

His Holiness has moved us with his message of inclusion, especially for the poor, the marginalized and the outcast. But it has been his deeds, his bearing, the gestures at once simple and profound — embracing the sick, ministering to the homeless, washing the feet of young prisoners — that have inspired us all.

Pope Francis reminds us in ways that words alone cannot that no matter our station in life, we are bound by moral obligations to one another. His example challenges us to live out those obligations through work — to alleviate poverty, reduce inequality and promote peace; to feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, care for the sick and open new doors of opportunity and visions of possibility for everyone. His message of love and inclusion, his regard for “the least of these,” distills the essence of Jesus’ teachings and is a tonic for a cynical age. May we heed his humble example.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 12

Bishop, but Im probably too late

Doc Holliday on April 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Heh!

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Wasssup Doc?

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Probably not a Bishop.

NotCoach on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Inequality is keeping from being able to play in the NFL. Not fair!

Galtian on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

That skank been skulking around more lately?

NotCoach on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I’m not catholic, so I don’t know the whole tale, but I think the Pope needs a good talking to from Thomas Sowell….

Doc Holliday on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Bite your tongue.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Infallible guy!

Murphy9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Doc, OC……

KCB on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

*keeping me

Galtian on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Where’s the Hammer?

Calling all the other buffoons…

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Pope Francis ✔ @Pontifex Follow
Inequality is the root of social evil.
4:28 AM – 28 Apr 2014

WOW… If this is not communism then I do not know what is this… Is the Pope going to sell the Church assets (100′s of billions of dollars) to help the poor and the needy? Of course not…

mnjg on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Inequality is keeping from being able to play in the NFL. Not fair!

Galtian on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Yep, me too. How dare they discriminate against people like me–I mean I’m short, but I’m also slow…

Doc Holliday on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

That skank been skulking around more lately?

NotCoach on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

She ran a Rand Paul headline thread to 400+ comments today…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Lanceman

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Bite your tongue.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

son’t worry. She’s been everywhere else. She’ll show.

KCB on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Greetings Ken!

Doc Holliday on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Doc Holliday on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I have to admit I’m less-than-impressed by pontiffonomics.

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Hey Ken…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

When everyone is poor, that’s equality. Fairly certain that’s not the opposite of social evil.

MrX on April 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Pope Francis
By Barack Obama

Rare is the leader who makes us want to be better people. Blah blah blah…

You didn’t write that. Someone else, made that happen.

somewhatconcerned on April 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

My Pred!!!!!!
I heard you had surgery, you mending?

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

nothing ever comes out for the poor

That’s not even remotely true. Gates Foundation has hundreds of millions of dollars for philanthropic purposes alone.

John the Libertarian on April 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Bite your tongue.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Heh…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

My favorite version of this Rolling Stones Classic…

Devo “I Can’t Get No… Satisfaction”

baby baby baby baby baby baby baby… Even Keith Richards loved this version…

ConstantineXI on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

or her twin bluegill

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

mnjg on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

You obviously do not have the slightest idea what Marxism is then, and yes, communism is Marxism.

oscarwilde on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

My Pred!!!!!!
I heard you had surgery, you mending?

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Came back together quite nicely, thanks. I just got home today. It was out-patient but I spent 3+ days at my sister’s place.

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

or her twin bluegill

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

or both…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Glad you are on the mend…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

…I think hagfishes sock…is still on the Mia Love thread.

KOOLAID2 on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

So glad. =)
Jackie told me..sent some prayers your way.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Greetings for GA, Night Crew.

I’m here to drop a singular comment and recommendation for all who read here. The election year shills are starting to filter back in. Joana for one. Please don’t give that idiot the time of day. She’s what’s know as a file closer and her only purpose here is to tell you that you’re idiots and too stupid to give opinions in the primaries and too stupid to vote your convictions in the generals.

Screw her. Why? Because screw her.

hawkdriver on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

This is the LIV National Anthem..

Devo “Freedom of Choice”

“Freedom of Choice, is what you got… Freedom FROM CHOICE, is WHAT YOU WANT”

Yes, Devo was kind of Libertarian…

ConstantineXI on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

The commie Pope has a point.

Jesus condemned rich people to hell.
◄ Matthew 19:24 ►
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Camel can never fit into the eye of a needle. So his point is clear as day and night.

Check out the story of ‘Lazarus and the rich man’ in the Bible.
Luke 16:19-31
The theme of misery befalling rich people is very consistent throughout the Bible.

◄ James 5:1 ►
Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you.

Jesus Christ was not a capitalist…He was far from it.
So yes from a Biblical point of view the communist Pope is right on.

weedisgood on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

“Inequality is the root of social evil.” – Pope Francis

We can’t all be Bishops … but, with lobotomies, we can all be joanas?

/Sounds fair and equal to me!

ShainS on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Lanceman should LIVE!!!

KOOLAID2 on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

oscarwilde on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Thanks for enlighten me… What could I have done without you… The Pope is a communist, believing in God and not killing people does not mean that Pope is not an economic and social communist…

mnjg on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Evening all.

I’m wiped. big birthday dinner followed by a rich birthday dessert. I’m getting too old for birthdays.

What’s new around here?

NativeTexan on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Hagfish & joana are both in the Mia Love thread…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Glad you are on the mend…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Thanks OC. I had a lot of miles on me–needed to get the ol’ belts tightened. ;)

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

weedisbad on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Edited, for accuracy. :)

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Recently there was long winded discussion of cat turds on a Hot Air thread. One participant was “CW.” Forget who else. Yeesh.

Galtian on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

When the Pope sell off all the Catholic Church holdings, and distributes all that heavenly lolly (money) to the poor world wide, then I might agree…

Socialism does NOT work!

As Maggie said, “They soon run out of other peoples money.”

How long will it take before the hard working in this country rebel against a govt taking their money?

I’ll be dead before I see that happen…

Le Spit

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Lanceman

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Heh.

Bring back my boyfriend, the Danceman!

/brushingmypickles

ShainS on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Been gone ALL day.
Feeling I missed a lot … Where’s she been ??
Wanna see.

pambi on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

hawkdriver on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, you are right…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Hagfish & joana are both in the Mia Love thread…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Consider that a quarantine zone!

22044 on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Maybe the pope’s a commie. Doesn’t make much difference to me because I’m not Catholic, so I don’t have to worry about reconciling any of my beliefs with what some guy in Rome thinks.

Mark1971 on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Hope you are on the mend predator :)

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Anyone play Diablo 3?

NotCoach on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I think the man just doesn’t know what the hell he is talking about.

VorDaj on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

weedisgood on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Great let us all sell all our assets and give the money to the poor… The Pope should lead the way as the Catholic church has assets in the hundreds of billions of dollars…

mnjg on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

NativeTexan on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Glad you had a nice B-day. I am a fellow Taurus.. =)
*cheers*

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

weedisgood on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

A camel can fit through the eye of a needle. Jesus never said a rich man can’t get to Heaven.

hawkdriver on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

pambi on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Rand Paul threads…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

…good to see you!……..you look good!

KOOLAID2 on April 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Weird Al Yankovic

“Another One Rides the Bus”

Democrat Transportation when they NUDGE us out of our cars!

ConstantineXI on April 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

LANCEMAN!! Dude I hope you are well, I’ll ask Sparky to give you a shout out from me ;D

Take Care Lanceman :)

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Good evening peeps and peepettes :)

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Mark1971 on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Ditto that.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Hope you are on the mend predator :)

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Getting better by the day, Scrumpy. ;D

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Mark1971 on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

It is simply amazing how much power this man have over 100′s of millions of Catholics… Many still believe that he can damn their souls if they do not follow what he says…

mnjg on April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Inequality is the root of social evil.

Sorry, I think envy is more likely the root of social evil.

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Scrumpy- hey stranger! Hope all is good.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

mnjg on April 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Clearly this man is the Al Gore of Popes – do as I say, not as I do.

VorDaj on April 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Here is where I first ran into the loon joana today…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

…good to see you!……..you look good!

KOOLAID2 on April 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Thanks, KOOL. It’s good to be on the mend.

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Will pray for your mending :)

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Good grief, I’d be surprised if I read one comment on topic tonight.

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Moochelle Obama could have starred in this one..

Weird Al “FAT”

ConstantineXI on April 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I hope that you also are on the mend! I saw you have had it rough lately :) Be well

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I hope joana shows up here tonight…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Just can’t get your fill of her OC? Try this. Starting at this comment reading backwards from it through the preceding pages, then going forward from it through the remainder of pages and let me know which was better. First half prior to comment or second half post comment. ; )

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

The commie Pope has a point.

Jesus condemned rich people to hell.
◄ Matthew 19:24 ►

Check out the story of ‘Lazarus and the rich man’ in the Bible.
Luke 16:19-31

◄ James 5:1 ►

Jesus Christ was not a capitalist…He was far from it.
So yes from a Biblical point of view the communist Pope is right on.

weedisgood on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Wow, if there were ever a more effective case for not allowing anyone to smoke pot, this imbecile is it.

The eye of a needle, was the name given to the night entry gate at Jerusalem, it was a small gate that in order for a camel or donkey to enter through, they had to be completely unpacked of their burden.

Furthermore, Luke 16:19-31, James 5:1 are not condemnations of capitalism or wealth, but observations that a very large percentage of the wealthy allow the accusation of wealth to dictate their moral and ethical standards.

oscarwilde on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

predator, how is the appetite?

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Ditto that.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Double-down on that ditto. I’m more of a theist or deist type, I guess. I believe in The Lord–just never had much need or desire for church or organized religion. More power to those who do. I can respect that as well.

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Bmore on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Yeah, I was mostly lurking in that thread. was there till the bitter end…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM

5000 in three hours doesn’t seen like “the masses”. How many of those were Journalists? And who uses the phrase “the masses”.

kcewa on April 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM

oscarwilde on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for that! ^5

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Anyone play Diablo 3?

NotCoach on April 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

No but I’ve had a Diablo sandwich.

RickB on April 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Inequality is the root of social evil.

Again, sorry, but I do not get this concept of a “social” evil. I see it defined as:

anything detrimental to a society or its citizens, as alcoholism, organized crime, etc.

Is the Pope suggesting inequality is organized specifically to achieve that? Any system which produces inequality is therefore evil? Don’t ALL systems produce inequality to some extent? Finally how does such a statement jive with Christ’s statement that we will always have the poor?

Rocks on April 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Ask and ye shall receive… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

predator, how is the appetite?

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

It’s good, very good in fact. I fight anemia as a side affect of the treatments I’m taking for the liver, but I’m done with those as of May 15. After that, I hope to be hospital-free for some time.

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Thanks Lady..feeling a lot better..Z-pack kicked in.
I know you weren’t feeling to well either…hope your improving.

bazil9 on April 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I’m pretty pooped out, tonight, but it’s been such an interesting time, catching up with y’all !!
It’s taken me hours, today, so far ..such fun !! LOL.
Thanks, OC .. And happy to hear all’s good, pred.
Should this be my final post tonight ….
BLESSINGS upon all who enter QOTD.

pambi on April 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

NativeTexan on April 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Hi neighbor! Just saw your email.

KCB on April 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

A good appetite is important for healing…

OmahaConservative on April 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

predator on April 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Me too, organized religion has done some serious damage over time, and still does…

Personal is best! With God I mean :)

Scrumpy on April 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM