Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on April 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

There is an interesting topic that the Sunday shows could cover this morning, but they won’t. Instead, expect a potpourri of Bundy bromides, is-it-war-yet analyses of Ukraine, and 2016 look-aheads. For the last bit, Mike Pence gets the star spot on “Fox News Sunday” while “This Week” leads with Elizabeth Warren, who’ll be on to talk about her new book and issue her 8,000th denial that she’s running for president.

Not up for that? Bibi Netanyahu will be on “Face the Nation” and “State of the Union” to discuss the peace process that’s not happening, no matter what John Kerry thinks. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s a twofer!!! And apparently it stayed out there for days and days before being deleted.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Oh, good lord. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 1:41 PM

That was the objection to it in the first place.

crankyoldlady on April 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM

His take on it has been quite poignant for me. His daughters are remarkably bright, disciplined, and hard working. And they will always unfairly have an asterisk next their achievements, as he sees it.

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I have hopes for Pence, but we’ll see. I’m really impressed by his competency at retail politics, something so many well-intended and principled conservatives unfortunately lack. He didn’t let Chris Wallace put a rope on him today, not that tough but still he looked good on national tv.

Thank you.

esr1951 on April 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM

You’re welcome!

novaculus on April 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM

So Rand Paul endorses the biggest RINO in the Senate and nobody says anything? Collins votes with the Democrats even when McCain, Graham, and Alexander won’t. The vote on extended federal unemployment benefits was the latest.

crosspatch on April 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM

If you didn’t see Judge Jeannine’s opening statement on Dingy Harry last night you can see the video on Fox News website. Click on Opinion on top and on the right there is a little picture of her.

crankyoldlady on April 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I just caught it on my Roku, and it was one of her BEST! She’s ready to frog-march him outta there!

ncinca on April 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

So, does that make him a LINO?

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Pence is certainly not my first choice, but I think I could vote for him if he is the nominee.

Rand has finally cooked his goose. Christie, Bush, Rubio, nope.

davidk on April 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Pence now up on the Fox News Sunday re-run.

novaculus on April 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM

86 on April 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I am so confused.

esr1951 on April 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Don’t be, the guy who posted that idiotic comment thinks the Pot and Sodomy party is a legitimate alternative. The last LP candidate for Governor was opposed to Right-To-Work of all things.

The Paulbots think Pence is some sort of Theocrat, and his robust position on National Defense is another mark against him in their minds.
I frankly don’t believe a word they’re saying.

As far as Common Core is concerned, you can’t get a boat to do 360 degree turns like you can a car. Education is a boat. Right now the General Assembly is out of session, and will be out of session until the next election.
The new standards which aren’t Common Core look a lot like them according to some ( I haven’t checked them myself so I’m not sure) were approved by the State Board of Education not the Governor.

Ultimately doing away with Common Core and it’s influences ( which stretches back to the failed NCLB) will take several years, it took several years and a new Governor to First Pause, Review, and then Remove Indiana from Common Core.
It will take several years if not Decades to remove the continuing influences.
Both Daniels and Tony Bennett, the former State Superintendent of Public Instruction, were big proponents of Common Core and led the way on implementation.
It will take a while to get rid of it, there is no quick fix. What Pence shows is that he’s willing to listen to voters and parents in regards to education. If the new standards are unacceptable to them, I’m certain he’ll re-address the issue. Unlike most of the Nations’ Governors that are digging in and calling opponents stupid.
As far as breaking the hold Unions have on education, that will take several generations.
But Pence and Daniels helped Indiana in that regard by first establishing ( under Daniels) and then expanding ( under Pence) the First of it’s kind in the Nation School Voucher program.

Right now in Indiana we are considering a pre-k voucher pilot program.
You know how liberals are demanding “universal pre-K” well Indiana is offering parents vouchers to send their children to private pre schools.

MWC_RS on April 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Sterling: It’s the world. You go to Isreal, the blacks are just treated like dogs. There’s white Jews and black jews, you understand?
Stiviano: Are the black jews less than the white Jews?
Sterling A hundred percent! .
Stiviano: Is that right?
Sterling: It isn’t a question, we don’t evaluate what’s right and wrong. We live in a society, we live in a culture…I don’t want to change the culture because I can’t.

Keep defending him conservatives. Seriously, keep defending him…

libfreeordie on April 27, 2014 at 2:16 PM

He sounds like a typical old, white, male, dhimmicRAT.

davidk on April 27, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Heh. I have six tabs open, three of which are Hot Air threads.

davidk on April 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM

He also forced and I mean forced the Legislature to give Hoosiers a 5% tax cut to our income tax ( largest in state history) He campaigned on a 10% cut, Bosma the Speaker refused to give any, Long the State Senate President offered 3, Pence refused to sign a budget until they met him in the middle.

They’ve been squealing about him phasing the Business property tax out.

I don’t think Mitch (as much as I love him for pulling Indiana out of the fire the Donks started) would’ve given us a tax cut of any great size. He loved his surplus.

MWC_RS on April 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

ncinca on April 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I don’t know why she isn’t on weekdays. If they aren’t careful they’ll lose her to some other channel.

crankyoldlady on April 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Go Hawks!

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Being quiet, and being inactive are two different things.

Tim Scott is pretty quiet, doesn’t make too many waves. But he’s just as Conservative as Cruz and Lee.
That’s a trait we should encourage in our politicians.

The MSM likes to destroy those who make themselves a symbol.
Being a snake in the grass that strikes right after saying “don’t tread on me” is something the Left isn’t really prepared to deal with.

MWC_RS on April 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Just for fun, Sam. And no one would ever pay me to mix up Ben Cardin and Ben Carson! Good grief, and thank you.

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM

That would have been caught in editing. One of those Ben guys from Maryland with a six-letter name beginning with C-a-r and ending with n. Besides, don’t all Marylanders look a like?

Anyway, you can talk to me. In another thread, Libfreeordie says I’m human excrement and that everyone needs to denounce me because I think Magic Johnson is sleazy for getting HIV from sleeping with myriad women and now he’s hawking Obamacare, which, I’ve read, covers his expensive drug treatment though I suspect he has the wherewithal to cover his own drugs. So, I wouldn’t want my picture taken with the guy. But Libfree says I must be denounced.

BuckeyeSam on April 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

MWC_RS on April 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Sounds good to me! I know people here in Lafayette are very disappointed in the renaming of Common Core, but your explanation makes a lot of sense.

esr1951 on April 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Besides, don’t all Marylanders look a like?

BuckeyeSam on April 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Heh. And I am with you 100% on Johnson. He’s worth half a billion dollars and he can pay for his own drugs. But no, I don’t believe he got HIV from whoring around with women…

Jaibones on April 27, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Agreed MWC_RS. Glenda Ritz, Super of Public Instruction has been trying to make a showdown with the governor since she’s come into office. Planned walkouts on meetings to get media attention. He has to walk that line on the Common Core whether he likes it or not.

I would have loved Mitch to have run, but we here in the Hoosier State know the real reason behind that decision. Pence has a good solid record as a conservative that hasn’t pulled any stupid mistakes like Mourdock did. And he’s certainly pro life.

I think Pence could be a dark horse in the race. And although I believe this is a stupid reason to win, he “looks” presidential. Nothing irritated me more than hearing the idjits say that Daniels was too short to be president. Unfortunately there are those people who would vote based on that alone. We all know at least one.

GrantIndy on April 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM

GrantIndy on April 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I am in South Bend and I’ve been under the impression that we have an extreme majority in this state and didn’t need to be afraid of either libs or media. I like Pence but we need bold leadership especially on education. I just think we who have children in the system right now are unfairly characterized as wackos or out of the mainstream and having the governor come down loudly on our side would be a huge help. Glenda Ritz can walk out all she wants just like the dems did on RTW.

demotheses on April 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM

The election of Donnelly in 2012 and the Obama in 2008 tells you we don’t have an extreme majority in the state. Here in Indy, the teachers unions and Ritz get a lot of media attention on the local news. There are too many voters who do not bother finding out anything more than what they are told on the main stream news. Bad publicity affecting teachers don’t play well.

GrantIndy on April 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Bad publicity affecting teachers don’t play well.

GrantIndy on April 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Do you think the gipper would have been afraid? Then why settle for less now? This is the problem we have. If we are too scared to stand when we need to then our private beliefs are meaningless.

demotheses on April 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I’m not settling for less. I like Pence, always have. And I have only a limited amount of knowledge of Common Core. That doesn’t mean I support it, it means I don’t have enough information to know what Pence could have done differently.

Just because he did not make big waves about CC isn’t near enough reason for me to change my opinion on his ability.

Like it or not, conservatives can never hope to win a general election if they start a huge fight on every subject. The liberals have been very successful painting conservatives with Todd Akin brush, which cost Mourdock the election.

Pence took a stand on CC. Even if he hadn’t, he would still be my first choice.

GrantIndy on April 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Don’t forget! 15 days left to donate to the Gosnell movie.

They still need approximately 700K to get this done.

lineholder on April 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I think Mike Pence has potential to be a very good candidate in GOP 2016 primary..I hope he gives it serious consideration..:)

Dire Straits on April 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM

…”Common core”…blah blah blah…

MWC_RS on April 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM

MWC RS, please take a look at the problem, I am sure Indiana was Just Fine and did not need the Common Core, in fact, you should not have even noticed it in Indiana if you had academic standards, if your standards were above that of the common core http://www.corestandards.org/read-the-standards/

The real problem is if you stop using common core and it goes away, your state may still have Race to the Top and the corrupting cash that comes with it. Race to the Top is the problem and where the strange curricula are coming from…liberal teachers get the money and write stupid things and are empowered by the money to pass it around to their colleagues.

This is what Race to the Top brings you, they say they are teaching the Common Core, but really it is just an excuse to implement “Transformational Education REFORM.”

See what you think of this Obama propaganda. It has nothing to do with core academic standards. The standard they are justifying this with, is the one that says you should read non fiction texts…like your TEXT BOOK or primary resources.

See what you think about Race to the Top, I don’t find Indiana participating in Race to the Top. This is excellent. But you can read about the states and what they are doing, it is not Common Core that is the problem it is Race to the Top. They want you to blame Common Core, and leave Race to the Top alone, but you can’t, you have to condemn and stop it too.

Fleuries on April 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I am voting for Mike Pense. I hope he is running. Please don’t tell the media about him, let him be our little secret, so we don’t find them making fun of how he drinks from his water bottle, and asking him if he beats his wife, or when he has stopped doing that, or if his dog likes riding on top of his car. All dogs want to do that, the point is mut(e)t.

Fleuries on April 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Gov Pence and Common Core vs The Pence Index. It’s a long article, but it clears up any misconceptions about what this is all about.

I wonder if any Parents had an opportunity to ask any questions about what their children will be subject to. Or were only the “Experts” allowed input to make decisions apart from those that it will effect?

If I were a parent, I’d be very concerned.

bluefox on April 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM

GrantIndy on April 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Yo…Grant:

“Romney and Ryan carried Indiana with 54.1% of the popular vote to Obama’s and Biden’s 43.9%, thus winning the state’s 11 electoral votes.”

Wiki

With unusual turnout for both the Presidential election and racial minorities voting skin color (anti-white), Romney won by over 10%. That seems like a pretty good majority to me. Mourdock blew it by using the word “rape” without the term “death sentence” in the same sentence. Voters are too stupid for nuance. Millions of voters tried to unburden themselves of genetic and societal guilt in 2008 for the half-white guy.

Those are Indiana’s two departures from orthodox conservatism. Not exactly a purple state.

Jaibones on April 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I never said it was a purple state, I said it was not an extreme blue state. I indicated Obama won in 2008, not 2012. I know a lot of people that voted for Obama. Not because they are D’s but because they believed the BS the media hyped. Most voters do NOT spend their free time researching the real story. They here what’s on their TV and they buy into the hype. Which was my point about Glenda Ritz and her publicity stunt.

GrantIndy on April 29, 2014 at 8:57 PM

And not ONE person I know that voted for O did so out of some bullcrock white guilt thing. Not one.

GrantIndy on April 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM