The pros and cons of using a cannon in your campaign ad

posted at 2:31 pm on April 26, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Browsing the election news this weekend, I’m starting to get the feeling that it’s going to be long mid-term cycle. (Hat tip: Outside the Beltway.)

A Republican congressional candidate in Georgia says in a new ad that he’s prepared to take up arms to effect change in Washington.

Former congressional aide John Stone begins the ad by firing a cannon he says is like the one his forefathers used in the Revolutionary War.

“As the only licensed firearms dealer in America running for Congress, I’m willing to do the same if we have to,” Stone says. “But it’s a whole lot easier just to vote in new House Republican leaders who will stand up to Obama and defend our Constitution.”

I suppose if you read the WaPo article above, it’s technically correct. Stone, speaking of his ancestors, sort of comes out and says that they took up arms to save the nation and that he’s “willing to do the same.” But given the line which follows it, he seems to be speaking in a tongue in cheek fashion, letting you know that the right move would be to simply vote him into office. Let’s take a look at the video and you can judge for yourself.

Georgia’s 12th Congressional District has been represented by Democrat John Barrow since 2005. (Though he’s been in some nail biters, such as his second run where he squeaked through by less than 1%.) This is a crowded field on the GOP side, with at least three other candidates in contention. If this were happening in some other part of the country, I’d be tempted to say that wheeling out a cannon and firing it might be a hindrance – if not in the primary, then in the general. But this is Georgia. Who knows? It may be just the ticket.

Comments

It’s a good ad, and makes its point succinctly.

Stoic Patriot on April 26, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Great ad…

OmahaConservative on April 26, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I hope he wins the primary and general if only because it would make Pelosi frown.

Wethal on April 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Seems very genuine, if slightly impolitic…

JohnGalt23 on April 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM

But this is Georgia. Who knows? It may be just the ticket.

Well since Georgia just passed legislation, making it one of the few of the state more lenient concerning gun laws. I really don’t see a problem with this ad.

Big deal, he has a cannon.

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Très bien, monsieur.

J.B. Say on April 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

First glance at the stilled video, I thought it was going to be cheesy. Instead, a pleasant surprise. He was direct about who he was, what he’d like to do, and did it tactfully.

31giddyup on April 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM

The BLM thugs are now claiming he fired a desert tortoise out of it.

viking01 on April 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I don’t know… Kind of a dumb ad in my opinion.

What did the ad tell us about him? He’s related to some people who did great things, he doesn’t like Obama, and he’s most likely for the 2nd Amendment, but that’s all we know from that ad. Sorry, but it takes more than not liking Obama, thinking everyone should own a gun, and having really cool relatives to get me to vote for them.

Maybe as time goes by and he runs more ads with more substance my opinion will change, but this ad on its own is not a great ad it’s just pandering for votes.

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

It should have ended with another boom from the cannon.

vityas on April 26, 2014 at 3:00 PM

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Well, this one locked down the ‘bitter-clinger’ vote for sure. We’ll see what else he has in store during the campaign, I guess. I don’t think this ad is as ridiculous as some of the ads Democrat candidates have ran in the past pandering to Womyn and minorities. These kinds of ads are effective because the masses really are stupid and care more about identity than substance.

Corporal Tunnel on April 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Meh! It’s a good thing Stone made it clear he was running for Congress because the ad had a whole used car dealer kind of a vibe.

As in come on down to Crazy John’s Cannon City! Where our prices will blow you away!

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

You act like this was the worst ad in the world.

He was direct, never stumbled, and looked into the camera rather than around it. The cannon was a nice feature (due to his FFL), and there is nothing wrong with someone who can go into an office who actually knows something about guns, as well as selling them.

The reason I am stating this is try and get an FFL license. The government turns people down for freaking speeding tickets. So to me that states he has a decent and clean record. He probably has no dealings with the law via selling said fire arms, and probably has a very clean record all the way around. This is a good thing.

Look past the BS, and part of his speech, and thing about some of the substance he talked about.

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Que the lefties trying to conflate a reference to the Revolutionary War with one to the Civil war, implying that all Republicans are … you guessed it … racist.

Count to 10 on April 26, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Corporal Tunnel on April 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Well, this ad doesn’t have the appeal of castrating pigs and convicted sex offenders (Iowa is still leading the way in crazy) but Georgia is always good for a few crazy contenders.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Count to 10 on April 26, 2014 at 3:03 PM

More likely they’ll suggest that electing Republicans will result in looser laws concerning conceal/carry of cannons. Maybe Bloomberg will even run an ad where a little girl finds a loaded cannon in the back of her parents closet.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM

He also pledged early on to get Boehner out of leadership.

AH_C on April 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Like the former Mob Lawyer that ran for political office, and had a commercial run during the superbowl that was like an mob movie?

Did that guy even get elected?

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

LOL
We aim to please!

ExpressoBold on April 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM

can you imagine bloomberg in the 1800s when private citizens had men’o’war ships that the feds contracted to?
he would blow up.
wish we had time travel….sigh…

dmacleo on April 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Rule of thumb: if you wanna look manly, get rid of the beer belly.

PBH on April 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I sincerely hope they aren’t selling any cannons with the shoulder thingy that goes up.

Wisdom_of_Homer on April 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Rule of thumb: if you wanna look manly, get rid of the beer belly.

PBH on April 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Really, you are going to vote on someone based on looks?

It a wonder we have anyone running for the conservative ticket.

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Wisdom_of_Homer on April 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I’d say the multiple cannonball clips are more of a concern. Why do you need more than one cannonball to kill a deer? ;0

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:47 PM

In Georgia, a definite winning ad. The folks in the Northeast have NO clue.

michaelo on April 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Rule of thumb: if you wanna look manly, get rid of the beer belly.

PBH on April 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Actually, he pretty much looks like every middle-aged white male Georgian I’ve known.

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Really, you are going to vote on someone based on looks?

Sadly, this is what 100% of the Democrats and 50% of the Republicans base their vote on these days.

mpthompson on April 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Sounds like he’s doing a Hank Hill impersonation.

Cash on April 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Sounds like he’s doing a Hank Hill impersonation.

Cash on April 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

How do you know that Hank Hill wasn’t doing a John Stone impersonation?

But, in reality, there’s a big difference in the accents. All us Southerners don’t sound alike you bigot! ;0

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 4:00 PM

If Harry Reid of Air Pelosi flew out of that cannon when he fired it, he’d have my vote!

KMC1 on April 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

mpthompson on April 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Explain Waxman then?

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Explain Waxman then?

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Very, very, very poor taste… or blindness.

ExpressoBold on April 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I’m a big fan of the ad. It seems a little bit like the gimmicky car dealer/furniture store ads that frequent the airwaves, but it leaves a strong impression.

I bet that it drives libs crazy, too, which makes it a winner in a GOP primary.

In Exile on April 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

cool ad

CanadianAPfan on April 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

What about the smoke. Pollution and all that. Call in the environmentalists

crankyoldlady on April 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Pretty awesome.

bitsy on April 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM

The only cannon I’d want in my ad is Chris. I’m still steamed about conservatives not using Bundy’s remarks to point that out that democrats were pro-slavery in the 19th century, which treated blacks like farm animals, and pro-subsidization in the 20th century, which treated blacks like pets. Now that it’s the 21st century, maybe it’s time to do the REAL “radical right” thing and start treating blacks like people–’cause they are. So yeah, Chris Cannon.

RockinRickOwen on April 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I don’t know… Kind of a dumb ad in my opinion.

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Hey, Pubic Hair,

I’ll agree that it was a somewhat silly ad. But how many political ads sound like the Gettysburg Address?

You know what’s really dumb? Your comment!

I’m betting all it took for you to vote the Idiot-in-Chief was that, “He seemed cool and was, like, historical and stuff…
‘Cause he was all black and stuff?”

Back to the basement, Pajama Boy!

ZeusGoose on April 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess you’re not from the South…

just-tom on April 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Explain Waxman then?

upinak on April 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Subliminal advertising. You can’t look at Waxman without thinking DemocRAT

Happy Nomad on April 26, 2014 at 4:45 PM

He had me at the cannon fire. Too bad he’s not running in my district in NYS.

looking4statesmen on April 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Just sent him $50 because of your post and his ad. Very nice!

crash72 on April 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Personally I’d like to see him turn that cannon on Congress. Even if he misses, he’ll at least get their attention! :)

GarandFan on April 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Great ad. What could top a fat due in beige pants firing off a little cannon for mass appeal?

DarkCurrent on April 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Isn’t that a CIVIL WAR era Mountain Howitzer? Are we sure he’s not talking about the War of Northern Aggression?

serenity on April 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Sounds like he’s doing a Hank Hill impersonation.

Cash on April 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

If that were the case it would be pro-pane and pro-pane acc-ces-sories he’d be showing off. There could be a “BOOM!”, but I doubt the same message.

BillH on April 26, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Hey, Pubic Hair,

You know what’s really dumb? Your comment!

‘Cause he was all black and stuff?”

Back to the basement, Pajama Boy!

ZeusGoose on April 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Pubic Hair? Pajama Boy?

Listen Zeus, I am so sorry. I didn’t realize that you were so emotionally invested in this political ad. Had I only known I would have massaged my comment so to avoid any undo emotional distress to you.

I’m just sick of mindless pandering in politics. Apparently to you, cannon fire and cool relatives is all it takes to identify a good solid conservative politician. Am I right? I mean for crying out loud, so far the foundation of his campaign, according to that ad, are the accomplishments of his dead relatives. What could possibly go wrong, but yeah you’re right, I’m deserving of your insults because I expect my politicians to actually sell me on why they will make a good government leader, and why they would do a better job than the last guy.

It’s funny because I read posts about how we have to vote RINO’s out of office, and then I read posts like this and people are already donating money to a guy that they know nothing about. He’s basically a blank slate just like Obama was… There isn’t a single person who can tell if this guy is a good politician or just hack begging for votes.

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Hey, Pubic Hair,

. **edit to save on IQ**

Back to the basement, Pajama Boy!

ZeusGoose on April 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Shorter ZeusGoose: I got nothin’.

BillH on April 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Shorter ZeusGoose: I got nothin’.

BillH on April 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Just insults…That’s all you two genius’s can muster when you put your brains together.

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Its about time to kick ALL the lawyers outta DC except those who argue in front of the supremes. “nuff said! I like it.

Mini-14 on April 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Um, gee, I was sorta following your line. I got that you didn’t care for the ad because it told you little to nothing about Mr.Stone. I guess that was a mistake. I apologize for that, I won’t be attempting to support your views again.

BillH on April 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Wethal on April 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Pelosi can’t frown.

Grammar Nazi on April 26, 2014 at 6:27 PM

….and he’s most likely for the 2nd Amendment, but that’s all we know from that ad. Sorry, but it takes more than not liking Obama, thinking everyone should own a gun, and having really cool relatives to get me to vote for them.

publius75 on April 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Being “for” or “against” the 2nd Amendment is just such an odd concept to me. The 2nd Amendment simply IS, and cannot be some poll-driven political football. It enshrines our natural God-given RIGHT to protect ourselves and our families from those who would do us harm, including the tyranny we live under now.

I consider today’s 2nd Amendment DENIERS to be self-evident enemies, hostile to the basic human rights codified in our Bill of Rights. And yes, I do take such hostile intentions personally.

Oh, and BTW, I loved the ad. Show me a political ad anywhere by anyone that’s not “just pandering for votes”. sheesh

Harbingeing on April 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Asked by upinak, “Really, you are going to vote on someone based on looks?”

Um, I recall Sarah Palin as being quite attractive. Sure beats looking at her for four years than Hillary. Isn’t it about time — since we’re making historic “firsts” in electing our president — that we elect a president who is hawt?

Take that Kate, Dutchess of Cambridge! We beat England yet again. Hah!

SomeDude on April 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Well considering the Democrat incumbent John Barrow runs an ad every cycle depicting him, his rifle, his NRA endorsement, and the little pistol his granpappie used to “stop a lynching” then I can’t see how using a cannon hurts Stone.

MWC_RS on April 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Good ad. Excellent ad. The only technical point I would raise is that it is a model 1841 12 lb. Mountain Howitzer. Not Revolutionary War. I know because I was crew of one with a living history re-enactment group doing presentations at Bent’s Fort and at schools. And I envy him his ownership, if it is his.

Subotai Bahadur on April 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Was DNC headquarters somewhere off to the left?

WryTrvllr on April 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Makes me want to move to Georgia just to vote for him.

Yakko77 on April 27, 2014 at 4:00 AM

The writer of the WaPo article was probably the same author who tried to make Republican comments about “targeting an opponent” into a threat.

Nomas on April 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Excuse me, but that’s a BBQ belly, this is GA after all. I’m sure he’s had other ads putting some of his major points in front of the voters. This ad is real catchy, tho.

Kissmygrits on April 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I’d rate the ad four cannon balls.

BigAlSouth on April 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Rule of thumb: if you wanna look manly, get rid of the beer belly.

PBH on April 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Totally agree. Because when I see men who look like Justin Beiber wandering around in their skinny jeans with three percent body fat and no beer gut, I instantly think “Now that right there is my idea of a man’s man. He would be a great politician.”

Oh, hey, you know who else doesn’t have a beer gut? Barack Obama! He’s a proven winner in the “lack of a beer gut means great leader and true man’s man” category.

If you want to criticize the ad for lack of much detail, that’s fine. Some on here already have. But complaining because he has a beer belly and claiming that makes him not look manly???

Wow.

USNCVN on April 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Just for you PBH

USNCVN on April 27, 2014 at 9:07 AM

He also pledged early on to get Boehner out of leadership.
AH_C on April 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Maybe he could show the Republican “leadership” how to reload!

Ray Van Dune on April 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM

He should have had eagles and flags shoot out of the cannon. That would have been a real winner.

Louey on April 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Shouldn’t it be more of a problem if a candidate said they would not have followed in the founder’s footsteps?

demotheses on April 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM