Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on April 25, 2014 by Allahpundit

Bundy’s daughter, Shiree Bundy Cox—one of his 14 children—is striking back at conservatives who have turned tail on Bundy, especially Hannity. In a Facebook post Thursday night, she accused Hannity of abandoning her father and pandering to ratings. Here’s a snippet:

“I’m sure most of you have heard the news about my dad being called a racist. Wow! The media loves to take things out of context don’t they? First off I’d just like to say that my dad has never been the most eloquent speaking person. Like someone said, he’s a Moses who needs an Aaron to speak for him. This is true. Second, however, is that the media has turned this into a circus side show. It’s like their trying to throw us off the real subject. Why was this ever even brought up? What does this have to do with land rights issues? Sean Hannity was all for reporting the happenings at the Bundy Ranch until this popped up. I wonder if someone hoped it would be that way….By the way, I think Mr. Hannity is more worried about his ratings than he really is about what my dad said. If he supports a supposed racist, what will that do to his ratings? He’s already lost his #1 spot on Fox…

“Again I’d like to ask, ‘What does my dad’s opinion on the state of the Blacks on welfare have to do with the land rights issue?’ Nothing! It’s a detouring tactic. It’s taking away from the real issues and what has been accomplished. The mainstream media want this to happen to make people deviate from the real important things and focus on a comment that has absolutely no relevance. It’s a tactic that has been used for decades. I hope people will see this for what it really is.”

***

The 67-year-old Bundy, battling the U.S. government after federal agents stormed his ranch to confiscate his cattle in a dispute over grazing fees, said far more than what appeared in the New York Times and most other news accounts. While his grammar is pretty bad — and his use of “negro” and “colored” considered politically incorrect (although they were both once preferred terms chosen by blacks) — he actually was making a larger point, not simply deriding blacks.

In a YouTube video, he is filmed already in mid-sentence.

“… and so what I’ve testified to you — I was in the Watts riot, I seen the beginning fire and I seen that last fire. What I seen is civil disturbance. People are not happy, people are thinking they don’t have their freedoms, they didn’t have these things, and they didn’t have them.

“We’ve progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and we sure don’t want to go back. We sure don’t want the colored people to go back to that point. We sure don’t want these Mexican people to go back to that point. And we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies, and do it in a peaceful way.”

Those comments appear to change the context of the next section, which was quoted in the New York Times. One clear point the rancher made: America has progressed since the 1965 race riots and “we sure don’t want to go back.”

***

I really wanted to like Cliven Bundy. I really did. As I wrote earlier this month, the showdown at Bundy Ranch was part of a long-running—and very relevant—fight over the federal government’s control of land and resources in the West. In Bundy’s case, he and other ranchers got shortchanged in the 90s, when the government decided to use the land in question to protect the endangered desert tortoise, ending cattle grazing in exchange for allowing private developers to destroy other tortoise habitats. (Yes, you’re right, that does sound shady.) Bundy stopped paying federal grazing fees in protest, and for the past two decades has been illegally feeding his cattle on public land, racking up $1.1 million in unpaid fines in the process. It’s worth noting, though, that even if Bundy had paid, the government still would have forced him to remove his cows from the land, as they did with all of his rancher neighbors. Framed in those terms, it sounded like he had a legitimate beef…

There is nothing inherently racist about thinking that federal government shouldn’t control nearly 50 percent of the land in Western states. Nor, for that matter, is there anything inherently racist about opposing gun control laws, or wanting to audit the Federal Reserve. But wherever these issues arise, there is invariably a white guy with an American flag and a sidearm that wants to tell you what he knows about “the Negro.” And what could have been a meaningful, important debate about the size and scope of the federal government turns into yet another rant about black people on welfare and open borders…

What makes Bundy’s casual racism so treacherous—apart from all of its obvious terribleness—is that it’s put an end to a legitimately relevant and important policy debate about the federal government’s control of land and resources in the West. No one wants to talk about land policy—or anything for that matter—with a guy who thinks that black people were better off as slaves.

***

If slavery was such a great institution and better than being on welfare, as Bundy declared, why doesn’t Bundy go back in time, become a slave and pick cotton for plantation owners without getting paid? He needs a history lesson about the horrors of slavery and why “we blacks” no longer call ourselves Negros.

I’m glad to see many conservatives swiftly condemned Bundy’s comments. But the real insult to injury for me as a black conservative woman is they never should have embraced him in the first place.

Conservatives are supposed to be the party that believes in adhering to the Constitution and the laws of our land. We talk about this to the point of obsession, myself included, with regard to issues like immigration, affirmative action, Obamacare, etc.

Yet conservatives of all kinds couldn’t wait to support Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who for over 20 years has refused to follow the laws of our land and Constitution by not paying over $1 million in grazing fees to the Bureau of Land Management.

***

Let me put it this way. I’ve had the privilege of speaking before the Greater Boston Tea Party on several occasions. Based on my interactions with their membership, I can tell you that if anyone had spoken like Bundy did at their meetings or rallies they would be persona non grata. Just like that. There are some things that cannot be countenanced under any circumstances and when such things rear their ugly head a line in the sand must be drawn…

[I]f the Obama Administration is responsible for a thousand tyrannies big and small across this country and just one of them warrant us to say “Enough!” or to stand athwart history, yelling Stop then is it too much to do so on behalf of someone with a character a bit more exemplary than that of Cliven Bundy?

If we conservatives are fighting to save this country from ruin then isn’t it incumbent upon us to choose our battles carefully?

***

[T]here is a pattern of conservatives embracing someone who is being bullied by the government or the mainstream media, and turning them into some sort of folk hero. But this “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” philosophy is dangerous

It usually goes like this: Government or the media oversteps its bounds, conservatives embrace the un-vetted victim, who — once feted and promoted on cable TV and talk radio (this is good business for conservative media, allowing them to pander to their viewers and listeners, and drive their political agenda) — says or does something utterly stupid. Then, MSNBC (and other liberal outlets) then spend weeks covering the boomerang part of the story.

… And then we repeat the cycle a few months later. What almost always starts out as a boon for conservatives leaves them with egg on their face.

Conservatives do this to themselves. In the grand scheme of things — with scandals like Benghazi and topics like Iran to cover — should it matter that some rancher in Nevada is a racist? Should it matter what some random guy thinks about race relations? Of course, not! But it’s hard to make that argument after you’ve spent weeks building him up just so someone else can tear him down.

***

The Washington Post later obtained video of his remarks and it quotes him: “Where is our colored brother? Where is our Mexican brother? Where is our Chinese? Where are they? They’re just as much American as we are, and they’re not with us. If they’re not with us, they’re going to be against us.”

Mr. Bundy, weirdly, is onto something here. The rush to stand with Mr. Bundy against the Bureau of Land Management is the latest incarnation of conservative antigovernment messaging. And nonwhites are not interested, because a gut-level aversion to the government is almost exclusively a white phenomenon…

In 2012, when I attended the Republican National Convention, there was one phrase I heard over and over again: “You built it!” Republicans thought this was a clever rejoinder to President Obama’s comments that people should be thankful for the role that government plays in individual success. The comeback was not the blockbuster Republicans thought it would be, because America is not the overwhelmingly white country it once was.

Cliven Bundy gets that. Will Republicans?

***

“Maybe I sinned, and maybe I need to ask forgiveness, and maybe I don’t know what I actually said, but when you talk about prejudice, we’re talking about not being able to exercise what we think. … If I say Negro or black boy or slave, if those people cannot take those kind of words and not be (offended), then Martin Luther King hasn’t got his job done yet,” he told anchor Chris Cuomo on Friday, adding, “We need to get over this prejudice stuff.”

***

“I would take a bullet for that man if need be,” he said. “I believe in his cause, and after having met Mr. Bundy a few times, I have a real good feel about him and I’m a pretty good judge of character.”

“He’s shown me nothing but hospitality and he treats me as his own family,” Bullock added.

***

Via RCP.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 13

I got your cozzimo’s pants right here.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Striped or floral? They zoomed by so fast, it didn’t register–just a blur…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM

You shut up too.
*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

All that good music!!!

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I’ve heard of that. How do you get one and how do you throw it away?

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM

My throwaway email addy is omahaconservative@yahoo.com

You email me from your real email with crankyoldlady in the subject line, and I reply and tell you my real identity. Then we correspond through our ‘real’ email. I only log into the throwaway to do offline discussions…

OmahaConservative on April 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Why should he speak about anything else than his ranch?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM

WOWZERS. No one is allowed to talk about things. Seriously?

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM

The Great Pretender – The Platters

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

The Cure – Friday Im In Love

kcewa on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Geesh. Think I’ll go drink.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

You’re here why again?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM

It’s frustrating to see people walk into obvious media traps again and again.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I guess we didn’t get enough of yesterday’s Bundy-palooza. We need more, apparently.

Bitter Clinger on April 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Hot Air likes to beat things to death. Remember about two weeks ago when readers had to shame them into covering the Bundy – BLM story?

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

why should he speak about anything else than his ranch? the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Here’s a better question,,why shouldn’t he? Are you suggesting he doesn’t have the right to?

wolly4321 on April 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Great for handling spam and the like! I’ve got a couple…just in case. ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I see what you mean. I actually have another one.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Why should he speak about anything else than his ranch?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM

WOWZERS. No one is allowed to talk about things. Seriously?

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM

In a pr war you need to focus. How is it going for him now ?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Only You – The Platters

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

It’s frustrating to see people walk into obvious media traps again and again.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

It is much more frustrating watching people who like to say they are on our side get distracted so easily over little things and taking the media’s spin at face value.

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Striped or floral? They zoomed by so fast, it didn’t register–just a blur…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Cozzimo better be a man.

Or David Cassidy.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM

He’s fighting the government , the media is on the side of the government.
How hard is it to understand what they’re up to?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

You think you’d do any better in front of a network camera or a NYT reporter without any training or a media advisor and lawyer standing by your side? I know I wouldn’t.

kcewa on April 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I’m going to only speak of shark problems, fin health, and the tin man. Don’t want to scare off Hannity and Krauthammer the sheep herder.

TinFin on April 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

It’s frustrating to see people walk into obvious media traps again and again.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Oh, I see…he’s supposed to be a polished forked-tongue liar like most politicians and lawyers.

Does that mean you also believe that the NYTimes had NO responsibility to report Mr Bundy’s remarks accurately, fairly and in context?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

In a pr war you need to focus. How is it going for him now ?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Yeah, and when you pretty much allow every slanderous allegation by the media to distract you and take it at face value like you the PR war was over long before you ever came out of your momma’s womb.
Since he did not say anything racist you should be defending him completely and making the media eat this. Instead you seem hellbent to make certain the media wins.
Whose side are you on? Got any evidence you are on the conservative side?

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I Only Have Eyes For You – The Flamingos

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I got your cozzimo’s pants right here.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I don’t know what to think of that either.

Let this be a lesson for the next open registration.

Don’t pick a nom de internet thinking you can change it later.

cozmospants on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

wolly4321 on April 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Why walk into a media minefield when you’re fighting a pr war?

He has the right to , but he’ll risk losing badly and what will he gain from talking about anything else than BLM?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

You know, the_nile isn’t just a river in Egypt.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Wait a minute, yes it is.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Freedom in Androgyny…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I think we need a quick response pr teams for events like these .
wifarmboy on April 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM

The best quick response is:
Don’t do interviews with the NYT.

whatcat on April 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Bundy should just say:

“I’m a rancher not some fuzzy-bearded WH weasel shilling for Barky whose name sounds like the circus…”

viking01 on April 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM

The rain went away, the sun came out and it turned into a beautiful day. Tomorrow should be better. At least weatherwise.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Every morning, whether you know it our not, you start my day out bright and beautiful. Shine on….shine on.

HonestLib on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Hannity is a cowardly mouse, or a little rat, take your pick, there are no other apt choices, joining in with the jackals and hyenas in their Queen of Hearts Lynch Mob. He has no honor. He is not even a man.

Lynch mobs are an ugly thing.

VorDaj on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Linda Ronstadt Desperado RickB on April 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Have you seen Linda Ronstadt lately? She has to be 300 pounds.

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

kcewa on April 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Why even talk to them!? They’re there to destroy!

The media is the enemy!

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Why walk into a media minefield when you’re fighting a pr war?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

What right, then, did the LSM have to ask him questions about something other than the BLM and his stand against it?

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Why walk into a media minefield when you’re fighting a pr war?

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

It wasn’t a minefield – it was a cowardly drone attack. That’s the only way progressives know how to fight.

kcewa on April 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Playing some oldies tonight…

Barred on April 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Duke of Earl – Gene Chandler

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Does anyone listen to Hannity anymore? I had an hours drive to my daughter’s volleyball game and figured I’d give him a try. I had to change the station after about 7 minutes. I couldn’t take any more.

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

The best quick response is:
Don’t do interviews with the NYT.

whatcat on April 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I’m sure he couldn’t know which media outlets can’t be trusted or that almost all can’t. If I were going to be interviewed I would check them out first to see what kind of things they write.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I’ve heard of that. How do you get one and how do you throw it away?

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I just fling ‘em out the window and buy a new pack of twelve in the morning. Wait, what were we yapping about?

HonestLib on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Have you seen Linda Ronstadt lately? She has to be 300 pounds.

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Holy cow!

Too bad she’s not still with Jerry Brown and the First Lady of California … might have helped set a precedent for Killary’s run …

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

HonestLib on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Why thank you kind sir.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Whose side are you on? Got any evidence you are on the conservative side?

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Bundy was winning this until HE let media take him for a ride to distract everyone.

You cannot play around with media , they are the enemy.

He needs to find someone with media training.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Why even talk to them!? They’re there to destroy!

The media is the enemy!

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I think he was talking to his supporters and family. The reporter even used the word “overheard” when reporting what he said.

kcewa on April 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Have you seen Linda Ronstadt lately? She has to be 300 pounds.

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

She leaned toward some babyfat even in her prime.

whatcat on April 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I haven’t seen his numbers lately but there’s a reason he’s been relegated to 10 pm.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM

t’s frustrating to see people walk into obvious media traps again and again. the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Understand this,,

HE’S A FLIPPING RANCHER. He’s been talking to cows for 70 years.

The cotton thing? They grow cotton out here.

It’s the world he knows. Is it a microworld? Yes.

It’s not some city.

wolly4321 on April 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Why even talk to them!? They’re there to destroy!

The media is the enemy!

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

So…Mr Bundy should’ve sat down, shut up and let the Central Gubmint (CG) control the information out there. Put another way, Mr Bundy should’ve just let the CG’s side rule and not stuck up for himself, his family, his way of life and how the CG was attempting to railroad him because it CAN.

Gotcha. We should, all of us, be mushrooms–kept in the dark and fed manure.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Have you seen Linda Ronstadt lately? She has to be 300 pounds.

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

On top, yep 300. On bottom, and with my eyes closed…210ish. See why QOTD should wait till after I go to sleep early during the week!

HonestLib on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

If I admit to liking some of her songs-are y’all gonna take my conservative card away?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Barred on April 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Good evening, Barred. :)

It seemed appropriate. All of these artists performed and made it during segregation.

They are the epitome of what Bundy was trying, in his own flawed way, to articulate.

These performers had dignity and self reliance. They faced far greater adversity than those who bilk the welfare system ever have or ever will, and they not only succeeded, they left behind an outstanding musical legacy.

Bundy didn’t want to see anyone humiliated or denigrated. He wants to see human dignity fulfilled.

If you’ve every been on a working ranch, if someone sees you just standing around idle, and you aren’t just a guest, they’ll say “Don’t you have something to do? Because if you don’t there’s plenty to be done.” and they’ll hand you a pitchfork and a bucket and point you to the stalls that need cleaning. Work is more than an ‘ethic’ on a ranch, it’s a way of life and the key to prosperity.

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Oooh…the butthurt is strong with this one…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I see what you mean. I actually have another one.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

It’s a nice way to talk to friends offline from HA…

OmahaConservative on April 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Chain Gang – Sam Cooke

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Gotcha. We should, all of us, be mushrooms–kept in the dark and fed manure.

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Mushrooms…..muffin tops…they all look the same at my age.

HonestLib on April 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

i’d love to have a side of mr. bundy’s beef

dale1 on April 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

It’s a nice way to talk to friends offline from HA…

OmahaConservative on April 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I just figure it’s good to use when you want to sign up for something but don’t want you’re good one ruined. I have a mailing list of 200 for my history blog. I probably shouldn’t use the same one for my friends but it just seemed easier.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Stand By Me – Sam Cooke

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

You cannot play around with media , they are the enemy.

He needs to find someone with media training.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Still not getting your position. When the media is on you, you have to just shut up? Because it really does not matter what you say, they can, will and always do take things out of context and slander anyone that gets in the way of the regressives of our society. So, once the media is looking at you, sit down and shut up? Good plan for winning the PR battle.
The way we should win the PR battle is when they pull crap like this we force them to defend their slander and lies for weeks on end rather than eating our own.

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

HonestLib on April 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

*smoooooch!* Evenin’, HL!

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Not at all. I like some of her stuff too.

My favorite musician (poet) is Don Henley and he’s a big leftie because “the environment” is his primary issue — and he, incorrectly, believes the Leftie Loons are the ones with whom he should be aligned …

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

cannot you rude bufoons stay on topic, for just one quotes of day? is that asking to much? geeez

dale1 on April 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

A Change Is Gonna Come – Sam Cooke

1963

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Bill Haley and His Comets – Rock Around the Clock

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Oh yeah.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

well said. Plus they had great music. Yes, I am that old…lol

Barred on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

It may be I need to get my eyes checked. I was scanning down the comments and thought I read this:

Cozmo took it in good fun.

It helped that I know his website, ebay sellers name and I have some of his kids.

cozmospants on April 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM

o_O

Fortunately, upon closer examination it was actually this:

Cozmo took it in good fun.

It helped that I know his website, ebay sellers name and I have some of his kits.

cozmospants on April 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM

What’s the literary version of “Measure twice; cut once.” ?

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I call on all Republican officer holders, and Democrat ones too, to denounce in no uncertain terms the Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid for trying yet again to incite someone to murder Bundy and his family. And that is what he is doing. Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid is using Bundy and his family as Hitler used the Jews. Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid is trying to make Bundy’s remarks into a kind of Reichstag Fire.

But what are many Republican office holders and other pontificating sissy boys like Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity doing instead? They are performing on command as screeching monkeys for organ grinder Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid. Sean Hannity, the self-religious sissy boy, jumped on the Queen of Hearts lynch mob bandwagon like a crazed monkey performing on command for his organ grinder and master Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid. He will probably sit on hypochondriac Glenn Beck’s lap while they both eat bananas and screech away while engaging in their lynch mob mentality that would shame even the Queen of Hearts, continuing in their utter mindlessness to concentrate on the incidental while ignoring the vital.

Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid owns them both. Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid threw out some of his cheese and they fell all over themselves going for it. They have sold whatever they might have had in the way of a soul and any possible manhood to Domestic Terrorist Harry “Sticky Fingers/Lynch Mob” Reid. Personally, I would rather sell my soul to the devil.

VorDaj on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Barred on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Thank you… and I love this music, too. It’s timeless. :)

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

You cannot play around with media , they are the enemy.

He needs to find someone with media training.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

So…we need to pay someone to tell us how to talk to people…r-i-g-h-t…

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

The best quick response is:
Don’t do interviews with the NYT.

yeah.

when country-fried religious-zealot conservatives’ heroes talk about negros being in jail because they never learned how to pick cotton or the magic bajinga expelling rapey inseminations, it’s the NYT’s fault.

i shudder to think of what views must be actually held by the posters here who seem to be claiming that cliven bundy’s situation could easily have happened to any one of them.

if you see yourself telling people “blacks are in jail because they never learned how to pick cotton” without a media-savvy PR handler, you’re probably a racist. i don’t care what you think about the dehumanising nature of absolute government dependency, if slavery is your go-to example of a more humanising, ethically oriented cultural paradigm for teaching those blacks a little self-sufficiency, your problem is not media naïveté.

jaxisaneurophysicist on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

why are you so cranky, old lady?

dale1 on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

dale1 on April 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

bluegill has a new sock? ;-)

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

selective editing proved and people should apologize to him.

dmacleo on April 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

You shouldn’t talk to media about anything else than the central message.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

At Last – Etta James

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

bluegill has a new sock? ;-)

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Nah, I think she’d do more chastizing than that and hassle us about all the analysis AP put into the quotes…

OmahaConservative on April 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

You shouldn’t talk to media about anything else than the central message.

the_nile on April 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The media was not his audience. They just were there. Apparently hiding in the crowd.
But even so. Your position is to turn on people simply because the media slanders them?

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

What’s the literary version of “Measure twice; cut once.” ?

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I’ll give you a hint… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on April 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Is this Ratso’s theme song or is it this one.

RickB on April 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

What’s the literary version of “Measure twice; cut once.” ?

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM

“Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see?” — Benjamin Franklin

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

They were talking about tornadoes there. Hope therre wasn’t any damage.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 8:20 PM

yep, looked like the coastal area had some Doppler-indicated ones. it’s tricky in these parts. just close enough to the Smoky Mountains that the storms sometimes skip right over us as they come across and head for the coast, other times they sneak in below Asheville and come right across.

we had some straight line winds through our neighborhood 3 years ago, snapped about a dozen utility poles a hundred yards from us. only thing it did here was toss around some lawn chairs and scare the beejeezus outta us. in particular the animals when the noise from the hail was deafening.

ProudinNC on April 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I have several,, one for politics, one for Lutheran blogs, etc etc…

OmahaConservative on April 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

f I admit to liking some of her songs-are y’all gonna take my conservative card away? annoyinglittletwerp on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 P

Naaa. She’s got a beautiful voice. She was here a few weeks ago. For some award.

She can’t sing anymore. At all. Disease.

If you enjoy music you almost have to forget thier politics, or there would be nobody left.

wolly4321 on April 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

ProudinNC on April 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

WHAT? we get tornadoes in the mountains!?!

astonerii on April 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Linda Ronstadt Desperado RickB on April 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Have you seen Linda Ronstadt lately? She has to be 300 pounds.

bw222 on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

She did a local interview in which she said her Parkinson’s disease is affecting her brain/motor functions and doesn’t walk that much because of it. Being sedentary will affect the weight gain. Eating less would help, but maybe food is the only pleasure she has at this point.

31giddyup on April 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

why are you so cranky, old lady?

dale1 on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I never thought anyone would take that seriously. When I knew there was going to be a sign up I made a list of possibles and some were already taken.

crankyoldlady on April 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

QE Blues

lineholder on April 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

VorDaj on April 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

That’s some good stuff, right there …

Bravo!!!

ShainS on April 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I did not know that Negr0 was banned. Someone needs to supply me with an updated list of banned words.

fight like a girl on April 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Is this Ratso’s theme song or is it this one.

RickB on April 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Heh…

OmahaConservative on April 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Bob Marley – redemption song

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
‘Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it’s just a part of it:
We’ve got to fulfil de book.

Won’t you help to sing