Feelgood story of the day: Vets, bikers chase off convicts who were squatting in soldier’s home

posted at 2:41 pm on April 25, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via TheBlaze, they didn’t literally chase them off — that would have made this the feelgood story of the year, not the day — but they ramped up the pressure, as did the media. Hard to believe the squatters would have left peacefully, without trashing the house first, if they hadn’t had cameras pointed at them from the sidewalk outside.

Here’s an enjoyable passage from WFLA utilizing many fine euphemisms for people preparing to beat this guy’s ass:

Lauren Price, of Veterans Warriors, says Ortiz picked the wrong house to squat at. Price has heard from veterans around the world who want to help

Price and another veterans group found an attorney to handle the eviction process for free. They plan on keeping a close watch on the property to make sure the home is not vandalized…

If Ortiz and his girlfriend don’t move, supporters of Sharkey in Tampa Bay are coming together, planning a motorcycle ride called “Sharkey’s Ride” on Sunday to head to the home and peacefully make the squatters uncomfortable

“I say we get about 25 people together one Sunday afternoon and let’s go talk to the squatters and see if we can convince them to leave. I’m not joking,” wrote David Edwards [on WFLA's Facebook page].

I too would have been willing to “lend a hand” in “talking sense” to this guy. The only unhappy note to this otherwise happy ending (besides the squatters inexplicably abandoning their dogs in the house) is that now we’re probably in for an insufferable think piece online somewhere about how squatting is an awesome way to reduce income inequality or whatever. My money’s on Vox, but never count out Slate or Salon.

WFLA News Channel 8
WFLA News Channel 8

Comments

No, you fools, one of those bikers will say something racist and we’ll lose the election. Vote RINO.

faraway on April 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

They probably stole the dogs as well.

Meremortal on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

HA classic

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

come on AP you “taking sense to the guy” would have been…you actually trying to talk sense to the guy. in your case: not euphemism.

t8stlikchkn on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

IMHO – Shoulda just gone in and shot them as burglars.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

OT

So, Bundy thinks Hispanics are hard-working family people, and laments the current plight of American blacks under the federal welfare system while saying there has been much progress and that “we sure don’t want to go back.” As always, there’s more to the story than what the New York Times says.

Gambling in Casablanca, and the media are liars.

HA, correct and update, please.

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Residential equality, wingers!

Common Sense Floridian on April 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Another HA classic

So you all are saying if you were poor with little food to feed your family you wouldn’t cross a border to financially take care them?

Wow.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

What’s thine is mine, wingers!!!

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

My money’s on Vox, but never count out Slate or Salon.

Or Holder, and his thugs,-action

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Reminds me of those immortal words “Adios, motherf___kers…”

Occupy this.

I love communities coming together. Badassedness, ish.

Recon5 on April 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Wow.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I hear anyone who crosses the border into North Korea gets free housing, a job, and as much food as they want to give you – and it’s all good for the rest of your life….

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

LOL-worthy.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Imagine the supply of Ortizs, after Holder releases tens-, hundreds-thousands of druggies.

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

besides the squatters inexplicably abandoning their dogs in the house

This alone will get them jail time and cause a left uproar.

The squatting on a soldiers property… not so much.

Odie1941 on April 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

HA classic

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

…and she thinks I’m “mean”…for referring to her as terryannoncrack ?…I think I’m reserved…and generous… in that manor!

KOOLAID2 on April 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I too would have been willing to “lend a hand” in “talking sense” to this guy.

AP
… while I sure you would, this isn’t the sort of individual to be intimidated enlightened by a NYC metrosexual.

This IS an individual SOOOOOO STUPID (How stupid is he?) he didn’t realize the DOWNSIDE to everyone in the world LITERALLY “knowing where he lives” ILLEGALLY.

If he was just a shade dumber, he could have cinched the 2014 Darwin Award even though it’s only April.

;->

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM

“That’s Mr. Ortiz with what appears to be a mop on his head.”

LOL!

Good Lt on April 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

See my post directly below yours – she HAS to be related to the “Einstein” squatter.

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM

HA, correct and update, please.

[Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM]

Yeah, good luck with that.

Dusty on April 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I too would have been willing to “lend a hand” in “talking sense” to this guy

Hah! Good one.

chuckh on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Wow the illegals have gone from figuratively squatting in America’s homes to literally doing so.

neyney on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

faraway on April 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

So true.

SirGawain on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I’m hoping these stories will push legislators to change the laws. I’m a landlord and I can tell you it takes ages to get a renter out when they aren’t paying. Yes you can go through the courts and get a judgement and try to get your money back, but that’s difficult.

Annielou on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

IMHO – Shoulda just gone in and shot them as burglars.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That’s what I was thinking. The problem is they didn’t do that right off:

Indeed Sharkey tried going through law enforcement to remove Ortiz and Cardoso, but that turned out to be in vain — sheriffs said it’s a civil matter and would take a court order to evict them since they established residency.

Once you acknowledge to the authorities that you know they’re there ahead of time, you can’t really do that.

Fenris on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Yeah, this makes me smile. Plasticuffed and lying at the curb for trash pickup on Tuesdays would make the smile bigger, though.

GWB on April 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Not being American, I don’t understand how this sort of thing comes about. Saw a Simpsons episode that had this theme but I didn’t think it was real. What law is on the side of the squatters?

BL@KBIRD on April 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

That line was excerpted in yesterday’s Hannity post, which is nearly 24 hours old. Also, please stay on topic.

Allahpundit on April 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

HA classic

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

It’s so very easy for her to write checks on the livelihood and blood of American citizens and legal immigrants. She gives freely what is not hers to give.

Shakespeare wrote of such an individual. Timon of Athens, who was known for his generous nature and giving extravagant gifts to his family, friends and admirers. It was discovered, eventually, that he had borrowed the funds for those gifts and couldn’t even begin to repay those loans. He had, in fact, committed theft from the lenders in order to buy the affection of others. In the end he lost everything, including the fleeting admiration of those he’d given so much at the expense of his fellow Athenians and was driven from the city and the company of his countrymen. Covered in shame, reviled by the very people he’d attempted to buy with his gifts, he went mad, and ended his days alone.

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Even in OBOZOLAND, the GOOD GUYS sometimes win!

MicahStone on April 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Wow.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

It’s questions like this which prove that liberals hate minorities and want them to suffer. If you don’t believe me then ask the next lib why they never protest the Mexican government for their inhumane treatment of their citizens.

Why should Mexicans have to come to the U.S.? If government is really the answer to all problems then please explain why Mexico is experiencing severe poverty?

The reason why we should prohibit Mexicans from entering is actually for their own safety. The U.S. is such an eeeeeviiilll country so Mexicans would have a vested interest in remaining in Mexico to get all those good guvment handouts! That’s an obvious logical conclusion if one believes everything the left tells them.

Kingfisher on April 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Behold .. Obama’s People

Key West Reader on April 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Illegals aren’t breaking into my house.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

YET.

MontanaMmmm on April 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Well, Vox apparently has other things on their minds…

WestVirginiaRebel on April 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

HA classic

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Hmmm…. I remember quit a few times right before payday that my diet was reduced to a bag of ramen for the day or if I had extra money a can of beans, and I still didn’t go on a crime spree. Must have been that self control my parents taught me that prevented me from taking other peoples stuff.

Johnnyreb on April 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

…try to get your money back, but that’s difficult.

Annielou on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Get your money back…

That’s a good one.

Yuppies can be worse that blue collar folks.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Why is there a discussion of terryannonline’s comments on this thread, since she hasn’t even been over here?

GWB on April 25, 2014 at 3:11 PM

“That’s Mr. Ortiz with what appears to be a mop on his head.”

LOL!

Good Lt on April 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM

HA! That’s a local Emmy clip if I’ve ever seen one!

nextgen_repub on April 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Fenris on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Yup – I’m sick of this PC crap of calling people like this squatters (or illegals “undocumented”). BS – They’re burglars. Which is why in a situation like this, when you go home and find someone else there, shoot them on the spot – they’re burglars IN YOUR house, attempting to steal your entire dam house – end it right there without this “it’s a civil matter” BS.

And, as GWB just said – leave them at the curb for someone else to pick up and haul away.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

A stain on America’s honor that a family in need was deported from a house

El_Terrible on April 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

What law is on the side of the squatters?

BL@KBIRD on April 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

It varies by state.

The only time somebody tried it on me, I considered it breaking and entering. I took back my property.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 3:08 PM

…your mind…is a gem!

KOOLAID2 on April 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

What law is on the side of the squatters?

BL@KBIRD on April 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

There shouldn’t be any.
Squatter is nothing more than a PC term for burglar – they had to break in to be inside the house – that’s breaking and entering and/or burglary, plain and simple.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Timon of AthensKing Putt of Chicago, who was known for his generous nature and giving extravagant gifts to his family, friends and admirers. It was discovered, eventually, that he had borrowed the funds for those gifts and couldn’t even begin to repay those loans. He had, in fact, committed theft from the lenders in order to buy the affection of others. In the end he lost everything, including the fleeting admiration of those he’d given so much at the expense of his fellow Athenians and was driven from the city and the company of his countrymen. Covered in shame, reviled by the very people he’d attempted to buy with his gifts, he went mad, and ended his days alone.

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Only one minor change, and the whole thing still works perfectly.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I never understood the rationale behind “squatters rights” laws. What actual purpose does it serve beyond letting criminals steal your home…legally…just by moving in without the owner’s permission? It seems to make little to no sense.

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

A concept that is as out of date as unions. At one time it had a purpose. Like “adverse possession”.

What is being perverted nowdays is what “abandonment” means.

This property certainly wasn’t abandoned.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM

IMHO – Shoulda just gone in and shot them as burglars.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Sure. Take life needlessly. SMH.

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

IMHO – Shoulda just gone in and shot them as burglars.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That’s what I was thinking. The problem is they didn’t do that right off:

Fenris on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

We have very strange landlord-tenant laws here. The law greatly favors the tenant. I forced someone who owed me money to evict me. It took nearly a year to get me otta there.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Also, please stay on topic.

Allahpundit on April 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

eee-yow. somebody got Or-teeeezed. allah-style. talk sense, AP.

t8stlikchkn on April 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Pacific Heights

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Sure. Take life needlessly. SMH.

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

What an apt name you have chosen for this site. “Don Draper” is a smug, poorly informed, nearly sociopathic character.

Now if you want to be TRULY offended, go check out some of the comments on the local newspaper’s coverage of this incident.

Hint: The “shoot them as burglars” comments are drawing STRONG upvote support.

Now WHY do you suppose that’s the case?

ProTip: I already KNOW the answer because I have family that lives down in that part of the world. When the PROGRESSIVES are asking my advice on non-lethal weapons technology – we may be nearing a tipping point.

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I had thought that intent of the “squatters rights” stuff, way back, was that it was only relevent when there was no owner.

t8stlikchkn on April 25, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Hint: The “shoot them as burglars” comments are drawing STRONG upvote support.

Now WHY do you suppose that’s the case?

PolAgnostic on April 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Was anyone’s life threatened, thus justifying a use of force? No?
And Don is a brilliant marketer on that show! How dare you sir!/

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Sure. Take life needlessly. SMH.

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Did you even watch the clip? Squatter threatened reporters (nice gang motion added in the beginning of video) “I have pitbulls”…Long rap sheet. I don’t know about shooting him, but he is no innocent.

MontanaMmmm on April 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Pacific Heights

slickwillie2001 on April 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Pretty much, Der Schliekmeister. I still have a lien on that property. Of course, I wasn’t squatting, but once you get in somewhere and have the utilities turned on in your name, it becomes your domicile and they must go through the eviction process.

Sometimes the courts recognize those who game the system and fast-track it.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM

MontanaMmmm on April 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I have no problem with the squatters being dragged out of the home kicking and screaming. They’re bums. I objected to coarse language about ending that person’s life needlessly.

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Was anyone’s life threatened, thus justifying a use of force? No?
And Don is a brilliant marketer on that show! How dare you sir!/

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

MontanaMmmm on April 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Exactly. If went to MY house and this guy was in it and reacted to me walking INTO MY house as he did with the reporters – dam right he’s threatening me, in MY house – and he would be shot on the spot.
Nothing needless about it.
I will not be financially ruined by a burglar trying to steal MY house.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM

“Me and Julio, down by the schoolyard …”

I hope the biker/vets blast that in their faces.

Just a thought.

Chuck Ef on April 25, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

HA classic

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

It’s against the law to get a job??????

kim roy on April 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

We missed you on the illegal alien thread. Glad you’re okay.

Interesting post, btw. You should use it over there. Or is that different?

rogerb on April 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM

It’s against the law to get a job??????

kim roy on April 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Not yet – well if you’re in a right to work state…
But it IS severely frowned upon by the current regime.

dentarthurdent on April 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM

So Gov. Perry was right…given the right set of circumstances (Thanks to the vets) the squatters self deported out their illegal squat…

Veterans Warriors You guys Rock!

workingclass artist on April 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I think I’ll go to Hawaii and squat in Obummers $34M hideaway.

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 4:23 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Please…..apply your statement to “illegal alien” rights. Or show how there is no relationship.

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Sure. Take life needlessly. SMH.

Donald Draper on April 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

So….you’re aware of PPs mission statement, eh?

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 4:27 PM

There’s landlord/tenant disputes where a signed or verbal lease/agreement exists. And then there are squatters.

Eviction notices and civil courts should be reserved for one of those groups…arrests and criminal courts for the other.

nextgen_repub on April 25, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Had plug-ins turned off so didn’t see video, turned it on and saw cracker box house in disrepair with huge electrical pylon dominating corner of back yard, instead of lovely Florida green, got immediately depressed and turned it right back off. I do realize it’s a big deal, but so sad, like Oblongs on cartoon network.

bour3 on April 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Yes, please.

rogerb on April 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

How many illegals are squatting in someone’s home? And no…being in this country doesn’t compare.

But hey, let’s deport ‘em all. No mercy.

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM

But hey, let’s deport ‘em all. No mercy.

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Ah. This makes more sense now.

There’s no way 12-20 million illegals are going to be deported…we really need to face that.

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Where do you keep hearing this?

rogerb on April 25, 2014 at 11:58 AM

You keep hearing it from JetBoy.

rogerb on April 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM

AND STAY OUT!!!!

Big Haired Girl on April 25, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I’m in. Whatever it takes.

Sharkey was there for me when we needed him. I’ll be there for him.

Marcus Traianus on April 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I hope the long, thoughtful piece isn’t from Vox.

They explaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain you to death, then they bore you to death, then they have you stuffed with leftist propaganda filling and mounted on the wall beside their other brain-dead fans.

It’s not a pretty way to go. Imagine your last minutes on Earth spent listening to the whining, condescending tone of the rich white elite preppie boys tell you how eeeeevil you are for wanting your own property.

I avoid Vox like it was Bubonic Plague. Sure, maybe there is nothing in those videos that can steal your soul like in a horror movie, but why take the chance just to be lectured by smarmy yuppies?

Adjoran on April 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM

It does compare.

Giuliani cleaned up New York City starting with the little things.

While illegally entering the united states isn’t a little thing. Ending it, and sending those who entered illegally back will go a long way to fixing bigger problems.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Adjoran on April 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM

You should avoid all leftist claptrap like the plague and go straight to the comments. If it’s full of Del’s howler monkeys or disaffected ‘rats, it should tell you all you need to know.

Except for the Slimes.

Applehead on April 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM

The illegals would leave willingly if we fixed our laws and such.

OregonPolitician on April 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Scum

Bmore on April 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM

But hey, let’s deport ‘em all. No mercy.

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM

If we had started doing that back in say, 2004, we’d be almost finished by now. One busload at a time.

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Another HA classic

Wow.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Schadenfreude on April 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Terry’s tired, old line is so full of crapola.

I heard the same reason given at a “Campaign for Citizenship” rally of illegal aliens and their supporters when a woman spoke up and said she “had to cross the border” and illegally enter the US because of the danger of drug cartels in her border town.

Why didn’t she avoid the very risky and expensive (coyotes are not free) method and buy a much cheaper bus ticket to Cancun or Guadalajara?? I hear a rumor that even retired Americans choose to vacation there — and cruise ships are found in the harbor!!

I have a niece whose brother-in-law (European-American born in MA) actually chose to emigrate to Guadalajara 15 years ago. He hosts a weekly jazz radio program there. Also look up Shane Skov of the Stanford football team. His father moved their family from Oakland to Guadalajara years ago. Both Shane and his brother learned American football there well enough to earn scholarships to Stanford.

So if Americans are VOLUNTARILY moving to Mexico, why the hell do you think Mexicans (or anyone else) has the right to illegally enter the US??

If you lived in crime-ridden Detroit, would you feel entitled to sneak into Canada instead of moving to Iowa?

Apologist for illegal immigration never use logic — only feelings.

And THIS is the result: http://www.jmisys.com/calosha/

fred5678 on April 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM

This story, and this thread, reminds me of what it means when people decide they’re entitled to what others have earned.

I was walking out of a university building one day, on my way to my car, when I was accosted my some protesters who were illegal aliens demanding equal rights with the citizens of this nation. They accosted me because I was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase, just having come from meetings in LA and taught my regular class on campus. They blocked the sidewalk so that I couldn’t pass them, gathering around me in a group. Their ostensible leader, and angry and aggressive man, began to shout and wave a sign in front of me.

A group of campus police pulled up to the curb and ran across the stretch of lawn between the street and where I stood on the sidewalk. The group of illegals broke up and most ran off in different directions as they saw the approaching police. The leader, however, stayed and confronted the officers. As I nodded to the police officer when he asked if I was alright and was about to continue on my way to my car, the protest leader shouted at me “We just want what you have! What’s wrong with that?”

I have never forgotten that man’s face or what he said to me. “We just want what you have! What’s wrong with that?”

I’m in my own nation. I’m not breaking the law. I’m not accosting people on foreign soil demanding that they give me what I demand. I’ve earned what I have. These were the answers that flashed though my mind.

Michelle Malkin ran an article not so long ago about illegal aliens protesting at hospitals and state houses demanding free organ transplants. Free, of course, to them. The United States taxpayers would be handed the tab for their medical procedures, hospital stays and anti-rejection drugs, which would be required for the rest of their lives, and the hearts, lungs, livers, kidneys, skin, eyes, etc., would come from United States donors.

As I read Malkin’s article that man’s face flashed across my memory, and his demand echoed once again. “We just want what you have! What’s wrong with that?”

thatsafactjack on April 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM

You keep hearing it from JetBoy.

rogerb on April 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM

He refuses to acknowledge that all sane people and about 99% of non-troll HA comments favor just enforcing the damn laws:

Here is a genuine illegal alien explaining well how it works (WHEN ACTUALLY USED!!):

fred5678 on April 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

If they really want to help get him out…Sharkey’s riders should all move in with them too. Make it wall to wall Sharkey supporters living there and cramp him out…

;-)

payday on April 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I think most folks look at that as the humane way man. re-uniting the family. bring the family together, in their home country. do you hate families? and people? dang. what kind of person would NOT support deportation. as RP said, you just don’t have a heart.

t8stlikchkn on April 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM

It’s a shame the hard working taxpayers of this country, don’t let gubmint provide hundreds of assistance programs to help the disadvantaged, as these people clearly are.

These people need money for rent, groceries, utilities, gas, insurance, healthcare, cigarettes, beer, obamaphones, satellite tv, car payment, medicine, clothing, diapers, etc., None of which they can get through our generous gubmint.

rightside on April 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM

BobMbx

Wouldn’t work. See, it’s possible we would miss one illegal out of 20 million, obviously proving the amnesty shill’s point that deporting illegals is a flawed policy. Plus some might self-deport on their own, and we can’t have that. I mean, what are you, the devil? Therefore, the only logical solution is to let them all stay. Of course, they won’t ALL come forward to embrace their legal status either, but…SHUT UP!

xblade on April 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Annielou on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I feel your pain. I transferred to Iraq (civilian job) and rented my LA condo to a guy that worked as an assistant for a very large law firm. After falling behind 13 months in rent and $50K in damage to the place I finally got him evicted. He counter sued me for $380,000 and literally buried me and my attorney in bogus paperwork for over a year. Finally got through a 6-day trial in Los Angeles Superior Court when I was home on leave. His law firm represented him pro bono.

Jury ruled in my favor (big surprise) and awarded me about half of what I paid out in legal fees, travel and repairs. My legal fees alone were over $90K. The plaintiff hasn’t paid a penny and he actually fled CA with no forwarding address.

I hired a private investigator to track the POS down and we found him in PA living with his mom. I transferred the judgement to a PA court and am now waiting for something to happen. This all started in 2004!

JetBlast on April 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM

JetBlast on April 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM

That bites majorly. My worst experience was with a psychologist. I find reasons not to rent to lawyers or shrinks.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I nee to give a speech at LaRaza or somethin

Weiner_Holder on April 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM

What is being perverted nowdays is what “abandonment” means.

This property certainly wasn’t abandoned.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM

The laws originally pertained to frontier and pioneer situations where someone who staked out a free or subsidized homestead was required to live there and work the land in some way, or it would revert either to the state or to someone who moved into the vacant property and worked it as if they were the original homesteader.

The concepts are woefully out of date.
I have friends who lost their second home to a guy who “moved in” and sold it; there was nothing legally that they could do. Also, you don’t even have to be absent 4 or 5 months a year; just take a 2-week vacay and it can happen to you.

AesopFan on April 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

just take a 2-week vacay and it can happen to you.

AesopFan on April 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

No it can’t.

cozmo on April 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Well, I was initially happy to see this story has a “happy” ending… but I worry that there will be another chapter. I hope that tomorrow I don’t wake up and find out that the state and federal Attorneys General are working to restore Mr. Ortiz to the house in the name of social justice.

LaserTSV on April 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Well done.

David Blue on April 26, 2014 at 6:16 AM

BobMbx on April 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

JetBoy on April 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM

“Because I said so” I suppose.

rogerb on April 26, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Annielou on April 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

“Property” is an open, relativistic term in this country.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I’m not poor and starving….so it is pretty easy for me to follow the law.

terryannonline on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

So your willingness to uphold the law is tied to whether you feel your dietary needs are being met?

Why don’t we skip all the suspense and add you to the no-fly list right now, then?

Alberta_Patriot on April 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

So what if someone breaks in while you’re in the house? If he manages to make himself comfortable before the cops get there, does he get to stay?

Oh sorry, we were responding to a 911, but it looks like this captain of industry has made himself a sandwich so you’ll need to put him up for the night. Get yourself a lawyer. If it takes too long then you’ll be common-lawed. You make a lovely couple.

I mean, really–the deciding factor as to whether the police do anything revolves around you being in the house? That is so asinine. This is what we pay our representatives for. _Change the law!_

Squatter == Lease holder who won’t leave after the contract’s end.
Burglar == Jackass who broke into your house.

There is a difference. If the police have this little common sense then some legislator needs to spell it out for them.

Psycroptic on April 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM

The arrogance of those two criminal jerks was just breathtaking, and I’m kind of sorry the vets didn’t get to “talk some sense” to them. It seems they did damage to the house anyway while they were living there (trash always does), but the vets are getting a fund together to help with repairs.

Who’s really surprised that the authorities wouldn’t do anything? After all, if some government agency wants to take your property, they’ll just take it, so why would they care about squatters?

RebeccaH on April 26, 2014 at 7:34 PM