Shocking report: Obama didn’t even finish Jiro’s sushi

posted at 9:21 pm on April 24, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I think Barack knew that he had a God-given palate that was extraordinary. I think that he has never really been challenged culinarily. He’s been bored to death his whole life. He’s just too talented to eat what ordinary people eat.

Losing the foodie vote:

Upon leaving the Michelin-starred restaurant featured in Jiro Dream of Sushi, Abe said Obama proclaimed it the “best sushi I’ve ever had in my life.” So why didn’t he finish it?! According to AFP, the owner of a nearby restaurant claims the president put his chopsticks down at the halfway point in the meal. When questioned, chief government spokesman Yoshihide Suga would only say Obama “ate a good amount” and, “I can tell from his expression he was very much satisfied.”

A 2011 documentary, “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” made Jiro’s tiny ten-seat Michelin-rated restaurant world famous. The film tells the life story of the 89-year-old proprietor, which as the title suggests, has been so dedicated to perfecting the art of sushi-making that he dreams of it in the short intervals he actually sleeps. It’s a passion for which he gave up any and all other endeavors. If one can get a reservation in the greatest sushi restaurant in the world and afford the $300 for the meal, Jiro will painstakingly prepare every bite, serving each customer each piece, one by one. He prepares the octopus he serves by massaging it for 45 minutes to an hour. There is no menu except what he sets, serving what’s freshest and best each day. His 50-something son works in his shadow, trained for decades to be worthy of prepping food for his father’s plates.

So, it’s not the kind of thing you’d stop eating halfway through. It’d be glaringly obvious and disrespectful. Not to mention foolhardy and wasteful. If there’s one time to clean your plate, this is it. C’mon, MAN!

The owner of a yakitori (grilled chicken) restaurant that sits in the same basement as the exclusive diner told Tokyo Broadcasting System that Obama had put his chopsticks down at the halfway point.

The man said a sushi chef from the restaurant told him the leaders’ chat was quite formal, the broadcaster said.

Unlike Obama, Abe munched the whole way through the offerings from 88-year-old legend Jiro Ono, who serves around 20 pieces of sushi one by one at the customer’s pace, it said.

Both men emerged from the restaurant to declare the meal had been a success, with Obama telling a crowd of journalists and well-wishers: “That’s some good sushi right there” and Abe saying they had discussed “a wide range of topics in a relaxed atmosphere”.

Chief government spokesman Yoshihide Suga refused Thursday to be drawn on exactly how much the US president had eaten, saying only: “It’s true that he ate a good amount”.

I hope it’s not true. The documentary is great, and was until recently streaming on Netflix. Check for it.

Comments

Didn’t Jiro pass away? Who is making the sushi now?

Evi L. Bloggerlady on April 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM

obama is much better than the rest of us, and he shows it. Anyone who is too blind to see to see it really have no wish to see it or are too dumb to see it. They want to believe he is for real because they are too lazy to actually work.

Duna on April 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM

That’s a cultural snub. A big one.

Once again our rat-eared idiot ruins relations with our allies.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Skinny guy can’t finish dinner. Moochelle could’ve polished it off I bet!

BJ* on April 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I was saddened to hear Obama dirtied this great establishment. He ruins everything, but come on, we all know Obama is more of a wiener man.

TinFin on April 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I wouldn’t have ate one bite of it….I would’ve
demanded some Kobe Beef…

But I’m not “cultured”

ToddPA on April 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Obama probably can’t take the wasabi. Seriously, how could a guy from Hawaii not finish his sushi?

oldroy on April 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

The sushi was baby seal

faraway on April 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I saw the documentary, what Obama did is an offense to Jiro.

Mini-14 on April 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

But did Barky bow to the sushi before eating it?

ShainS on April 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Sounds like good sushi… Obama showed his signature disrespect …
… the part about the chef massaging the octopus for an hour does bring up an odd image though …

loubkk on April 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Should the shrimp be able to sue its owner?

faraway on April 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Ok, I want my part back of that $300.00 he spent on the plate.

rickv404 on April 24, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Didn’t Jiro pass away? Who is making the sushi now?

Evi L. Bloggerlady on April 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I couldn’t find any confirmation of his death online.

Perhaps he’s working at The White House now where he prepares the lobster he serves to The Mooche by massaging it for 45 minutes to an hour …

ShainS on April 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Wow, at that level it is a slap across the face to Japan. Dear Liar is finding new ways to tick off our allies. Of course, being Japan they won’t say anything, but it is noted. You eat what the master puts in front of you.

But by his etiquette you bow to the Saudi king. Where 15 of the highjackers came from.

rbj on April 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Maybe Obama lost his appetite after learning about the Progressives burning babies for fuel in Oregon? Then again, probably not.

visions on April 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Sounds like good sushi… Obama showed his signature disrespect …

loubkk on April 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM

After it has been dispatched and sliced. It’s too tough if you don’t. And it is usually poached.

oldroy on April 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM

It was simply time to “get up and move” is all.

B4B on April 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I blame global warming. There can be no other reason.

Mimzey on April 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I don’t think octopus is halal.

faraway on April 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM

He only likes reggie roll raw.

wolly4321 on April 24, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Fortunately the Japanese are a very flexible people and are extremely forgiving of rude behavior.
Just because the President disrespected the offering of a man who is renowned as the foremost artist of his métier, there is no reason to think his Japanese hosts were mortified by Obama’s uncultured remarks of “that’s some good sushi! (And if I liked sushi I woulda ate more!)”.

No, there is no reason to believe that Obama’s Japanese hosts are sneering at this barbarian politician who wants to inveigle them into relaxing trade barriers; nope, I’m sure his charm won them over completely.

He bows very well.

Dolce Far Niente on April 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM

At least George Sr. had the decency to fall over and vomit.

But, in defense of Jugears (my god…..), I can’t stand fish. Raw, burned, or sometimes just watching other people eat it…I just cannot get it down.

(I’m gonna go flagellate myself for a while….)

BobMbx on April 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Pushed away from nemo to get more fido.

Murphy9 on April 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I don’t understand. Did he keep piling up sushi? Usually, they wait for you to finish. There might be a couple of pieces at most, especially at a high end place like that. And yeah, nobody really cares. I’ve seen some rude behavior from Japanese people at sushi restaurants.

Dongemaharu on April 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM

He should have sent Hillary instead. She is so much more experienced in eating sushi.

Rix on April 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM

It says in the writing above the comments that usually twenty pieces of sushi are offered at the seating, each at the customer’ space. But, it was said in the documentary that Jiro stares at his guests. Praise is heaped on Jiro for his craft and boy king probably couldn’t handle it and shut down. You don’t get praised for crapping in your hand in Japan.

TinFin on April 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Obama is just low rent trash.

I’m so sick of people prefacing criticisms of his manifest incompetence with “he’s a really nice guy.” No, he isn’t. He’s a pompous, arrogant jerk.

He’s not that smart, either, just glib like any con artist.

He’s not even a narcissist. He’s closer to a psychopath.

Obama isn’t some gourmet, or even a gourmand. He just orders the most expensive dishes he can think of for his White House parties to impress his trashy guests and because somebody else pays for it. Once he’s off the public dole, he’ll be back at McDonald’s or the International House of Pancakes.

1001 days left. Sigh.

Adjoran on April 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Having lived in Japan and with me being a Gaijin, I have to tell you…..you gots to go out of your way to show disrespect. I enjoyed living and working in Ueda. They were not offended…trust me. I will tell you that I learned that hai sometimes means yes and other times means they understand what you said, not that there is an agreement. I try to comment on things I really know about, but I go off the rails all the time myself.

Type away and carry on. Chuckle.

HonestLib on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

(I’m gonna go flagellate myself for a while….)

BobMbx on April 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Also, -ten- pieces of the world’s best sushi would be quite a meal in itself. That being said, protocol demands a clean plate in such a circumstance.

ebrown2 on April 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

The sushi was baby seal

faraway on April 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

…maybe it wasn’t ‘seal’ ?

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Bleh, the only thing I eat raw is….well, you know.

BBQ ribs for the win.

Bishop on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Bleh, the only thing I eat raw is….well, you know.

BBQ ribs for the win.

Bishop on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

So motor boating has two meanings!

HonestLib on April 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Bishop on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Before I turn in tonight….you may be able to give me a good beat down with only a sore thumb……but you ain’t never going to out RedNeck me. Chuckle!

HonestLib on April 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I wouldn’t have ate one bite of it….I would’ve demanded some Kobe Beef…

ToddPA on April 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Sounds like when Sheldon’s mother visited on The Big Bang Theory.

Leonard: So, Mrs. Cooper, what did you think of the sushi?

Mrs Cooper: It was good. The only thing that would have made it better is if it was cooked… and if it was beef.

In other matters, I could speculate that maybe Obama was hoping for dog instead of fish, but that could be construed as being culturally insensitive, so I won’t.

malclave on April 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM

HonestLib on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

The Japanese are historically good at hiding their displeasure to foreigners…until it all comes bubbling to the surface like a star going super-nova.

“Obama is too businesslike, it is rather difficult to build a personal relationship with him,” Abe

For more see here

It appears the Japanese have already figured out Obama’s game. The only people still the dark are his groupies.

William Eaton on April 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Was Caroline Kennedy there ?

No reason … ‘just thought I’d toss in a totally inappropriate question.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Completely endorse the wonderful documentary, the man and his family are astonishing inspirations. Jiro’s work ethic puts most anyone’s to shame, and his passion for his calling (referring to it as a “job” does it a disservice) makes me feel guilty every time I goof off at work. This guy’s worked his entire life at this, every day, with the unending commitment to just be the best he can be at this one thing. Real “Mike Rowe”-grade stuff.

I know that sushi ain’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it, so I’d totally go crazy to try his restaurant, even at the steep price (you pay for the experience as much as the food). Heck, I’d consider the cost a *contribution to excellence*, and a reward for hard work.

Alas, not everyone respects excellence and achievement.

DaveatGarfieldRidge on April 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Was Caroline Kennedy there ?

No reason … ‘just thought I’d toss in a totally inappropriate question.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Like, why would she, you know, like, not like, be there?

slickwillie2001 on April 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Shocking report: Obama didn’t even finish Jiro’s sushi

and he doesn’t care for Michelle’s either.

arnold ziffel on April 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM

how do you watch the blood drain from a fish?

WryTrvllr on April 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Shocking report: Obama didn’t even finish Jiro’s sushi

and he doesn’t care for Michelle’s either.

arnold ziffel on April 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM

…thank goodness…I just had a drink!

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Type away and carry on. Chuckle.

HonestLib on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

It appears you learned little while you were there. Japan has a very hierarchical society that has very strict rules. You can easily show disrespect (like Obama did in this story) in Japan. What you cannot always do is easily tell if your host is offended (because he will show you respect even if you are being a jerk).

I assume, based your admission of only learning two of the various nuances “hai” has, that you did not study the language or culture extensively. I DO live here and I am a fluent speaker with Japanese family. Wasting food is frowned upon in Japan. Wasting a master chef’s food is quite the insult. He likely embarrassed Prime Minister Abe as well (this is assuming that Abe invited Obama to the restaurant as the host).

It may be nitpicky, but Obama has a whole team (or should have) of cultural advisers telling him how to properly behave in certain international situations. The left has no room to criticize the right for being culturally insensitive or ignorant so long as Obama and Kerry (and previously Hillary) represent us abroad.

Pattosensei on April 25, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I would have been surprised had Obama finished his meal.

It is not in his character to be polite and respectful.

Should have served him snake and dog.

Don’t worry, his Asian Tour Gaffes Tour of Tours is just beginning.

Sherman1864 on April 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM

At least George Sr. had the decency to fall over and vomit.
(I’m gonna go flagellate myself for a while….)
BobMbx on April 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Obama specifically requested this meal at this sushi shop. Of course Obama is an ill-educated dunce and may not have known what sushi is to begin with.

Sherman1864 on April 25, 2014 at 3:13 AM

We couldn’t have a bigger buffoon in office if we were making an action-comedy movie.

His arrogance is equaled only by his stupidity. For a man billed by some as a sort of genius, there seems to be nothing he actually understands or does well.

Of course, I was not alone in observing even in 2007 that Obama had no accomplishments in his life and no relevant experience.

Adjoran on April 25, 2014 at 4:27 AM

Maybe the Right doesn’t actually need to have a snit over whether Obama finished his meal of five-star fish scraps.

Wait, what was I thinking…

Toocon on April 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Maybe some people on this thread don’t recall when Prez George H. W. Bush vomited into the lap of the Japanese prime minister at a state dinner in 1992.

I believe they were eating sushi as well.

However, my recollection is that Bush v1.0 was pressing Japan on a trade deal on that trip, something about allowing the import of Buicks to Japan. I’m thinking that Buick had just started building cars with the steering wheel on the right side to accommodate backward countries like Japan that drive on the wrong side of the road.

The Japanese signed that trade deal too after Spook Daddy gave them the vomit treatment. I don’t think they ever did buy many Buicks though.

Toocon on April 25, 2014 at 5:42 AM

Wait, what was I thinking…
Toocon on April 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Were you?

Still I respect your opinion as you paid for his waste with your taxes.

Sherman1864 on April 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Plutarch tells us that it is these very “small things” that reveal a man’s character.

Sherman1864 on April 25, 2014 at 7:25 AM

…Once he’s off the public dole, he’ll be back at McDonald’s or the International House of Pancakes.

1001 days left. Sigh.

Adjoran on April 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I’d say he’s more of a Waffle House sort of guy.

NavyMustang on April 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM

loubkk on April 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I’m with you. It definitely does bring up odd images and all of them are NSFW!

Having said that, I have just added “massagin’ the octopus” to my repertoire of NSFW sayings.

NavyMustang on April 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM

That’s a cultural snub. A big one.

Happy Nomad on April 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM

One might argue an even bigger one than vomiting on the Japanese PM.

roy_batty on April 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I’d say he’s more of a Waffle House sort of guy.
NavyMustang on April 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Can’t I just eat my waffle dog sushi?

nonpartisans tabbycat on April 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Toocon on April 25, 2014 at 5:42 AM

Try reading upthread, Jackwagon.

nonpartisans tabbycat on April 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM

This is a metaphor for his foreign policy and the Japanese will understand it quicker than the lsm who will never understand, or it could have just been another lack of manhood moment. Laying down the chopsticks did come right after the translation of massaging the octopus.

Kissmygrits on April 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Well, he had to save room…he heard that “Shakima linduru’s Poodle & Noodle Buffet” was setting up the chow line for his dining pleasure this evening…They are world renowned for their “German Shepherd Pie”, “Chihuahua Chimichangas”, “Labrador Linguini”, and “Sauteed Springer Spaniel”, among many other tasty canine cuisine. A man can only eat so much, doncha’ know??? Woof Woof!!!!

bimmcorp on April 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Still I respect your opinion as you paid for his waste with your taxes.

Sherman1864 on April 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM

You’re quite a rube if you think Obama paid for this meal. The host government pays. You’d do better to consider the costs of two jetliners that make up Air Force One (the second one carries a number of armored limos and SUVs). And they often travel with hundreds of staff. Recently in Europe, there was almost a thousand staffers present.

We should be so lucky that this royal peregrination of the Asian provinces only cost us $300.

I would guess Bammy was playing to the crowd here and in Japan as he often does. No doubt, that documentary made the sushi guy famous in Japan and in the West. And the media accounts just write themselves. I would guess Netflix will get a spike in viewers of the flick due to this.

BTW, there’s simply no way that a $300 sushi meal is the best Japan has to offer. Just as a $300 meal at a restaurant in NYC is not the best NYC has to offer. So the choice of this rather famous sushi proprietor is all about the fame he gained from the documentary and the Bamster was banking off that backboard for the media layup.

This was a clever choice for the White House staff to make.

Toocon on April 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

This was a clever choice for the White House staff to make.

Quite…lol

Murphy9 on April 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Bowing to a wee robot was Obama’s finest cultural moment.

Keep voting democrat morons!

Murphy9 on April 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM

ShainS on April 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Oh, man! Massaging the Mooche for 45 minutes to an hour. Say you weren’t suggesting that. I’m going to need a whole bucket of Brain Bleach to fix this image.

smyt on April 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Who covered the check?

dockywocky on April 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

The sushi was racist.

Oxymoron on April 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Sushi does not equal Poochie.

Bmore on April 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM

It was simply time to pivot to the economy.

Or perhaps this was an intentional insult to take focus away from [insert any other Obama catasrophe].

Everything he does is orchestrated.

red villain on April 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I would have informed the chef that “my fish is seriously undercooked” and sent it back.

In my book, sushi is in the same class of foods as raw milk, old eggs, and outdated cottage cheese.

YUCK.

landlines on April 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM

This was a clever choice for the White House staff to make.

Toocon on April 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

It’s one thing to be ignorant, it’s quite another to flaunt that ignorance for the world to see.

Pattosensei on April 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM

It definitely does bring up odd images and all of them are NSFW!

just a little question, what does NSFW mean?

greencalliope on April 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Pattosensei on April 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Yeah, right. Even as I type, the Japanese fleet is steaming angrily toward Pearl Harbor again to revenge itself for Obama eating only 10 pieces of raw fish guts.

This kind of brainless non-issue issue is exactly why the Right is perceived, rather accurately, as increasingly irrelevant, crotchety and a little weird to a majority of voters.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Obongo for substantive policy reasons. The number of fish gut delicacies he ate at a make-nice staged diplo dinner staged for Nipponese cameras isn’t one of them.

But then, crackpots always hate on anyone who notices they are crackpots so roar on.

Toocon on April 26, 2014 at 6:48 AM

NSFW=not safe for work. That is, stuff you’d get in trouble for if you surfed it or said it at work and your boss/co-workers found out.

Toocon on April 26, 2014 at 6:50 AM