Harry Reid: I call on Republican leaders to denounce this hateful racist Bundy

posted at 5:01 pm on April 24, 2014 by Allahpundit

Give the man his due. He may be a low-rent McCarthyite for whom no smear is too cheap. He may be an awful majority leader whose imperious tactics have hopelessly alienated the minority party. He may be dirty, having built a curiously large fortune despite working in government his entire adult life.

But he sure can troll.

“I used to live in North Las Vegas and it is home to some of the hardest-working people I have ever met – men and women who embody the American dream by working hard every day to build a better life for themselves and their families. By contrast, Cliven Bundy has spent decades profiting off government land while refusing to pay the same fair use fees as his fellow ranchers. Today, Bundy revealed himself to be a hateful racist. But by denigrating people who work hard and play by the rules while he mooches off public land he also revealed himself to be a hypocrite.

“To advance his extreme, hateful views, Bundy has endangered the lives of innocent women and children. This is not a game. It is the height of irresponsibility for any individual or entity in a position of power or influence to glorify or romanticize such a dangerous individual, and anyone who has done so should come to their senses and immediately condemn Bundy. For their part, national Republican leaders could help show a united front against this kind of hateful, dangerous extremism by publicly condemning Bundy.

“The bottom line is that elected officials and those in positions of power or influence have a responsibility to unite behind the basic principle that we are a country of laws, and that whatever our differences, it is unacceptable for individuals to use violence or the threat of violence to advance their radical views.”

I know what you’re thinking, and I too am disappointed that he didn’t work in a Koch brothers reference.

Has any “national Republican leader” refused to condemn Bundy, incidentally? Boehner and McConnell haven’t weighed in yet, but that’s not because anyone seriously thinks they agree with him; it’s because they know they’ll be asked about it eventually and would rather wait until the story’s not red-hot. The two most prominent Republicans to defend Bundy recently, Rand Paul and Dean Heller, both gave him an official thumbs-down this morning. So did RNC chief Reince Priebus. But Reid understands all that. The point of demanding formal denunciations is simply to prompt the media to put random Republicans on the spot when they have a chance. Which reminds me: Will America’s foremost anti-Koch demagogue, who often frets sweatily on the Senate floor about billionaires dominating national policy, denounce this? Might as well get everyone on the record about everything.

There is some good news for Bundy defenders, though. Lefty media noticed that he had some kind things to say about illegal immigrants (at around 2:20 below) after his shpiel about blacks. He could be one amnesty endorsement away from total (well, partial) reputational rehab.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

corona79 on April 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM

http://www.wnd.com/ is good and is accurate, but I don’t think we need to shut down just because they are. Otherwise, we could just shut down all other websites and read WND. I like to see what other news sites are saying, too.

davidk on April 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM

A Virginia county barred a landowner from allowing a friend to camp on his 86-acre farm for a hunting excursion, prompting a federal lawsuit.

Joseph Ferguson occasionally hosts friends for lawful hunting excursions on his property in Isle of Wight County, Va., explained the Rutherford Institute, which is representing him in the case.

The county, in southeast Virginia, contends that use of the camper would constitute an unauthorized “campground” in violation of local zoning ordinances.

“Cases such as this one are becoming increasingly common across the country as overzealous government officials routinely enforce laws that undermine the very property rights enshrined in the U.S. Constitution,” said John Whitehead, president of the Rutherford Institute.

Whitehead said that whether it’s “laws that prohibit smoking a cigarette inside one’s apartment, hosting a Bible study in one’s backyard or growing organic vegetables in one’s front yard,” the government’s “ongoing disregard for private property brings us full circle, back to that pre-Revolutionary era when colonists had few to no rights whatsoever within their homes.”

davidk on April 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM

My Daily Kos? You must have me confused with someone else. My conservative forum posting history goes back to September 2000. You on the other hand, I have no idea who you are. You seem to be confused at my complaint that HA is becoming more “moderate” in the articles they post.

SirGawain on April 25, 2014 at 3:01 PM

You are the one who brought up the KOS and inferred that you go there often. Sorry that I do not know you nor am I aware of your stellar conservative street cred. If you want to know more about me and who I am, feel free to check out my DISQUS profile. I have some 32,000 posts for your perusal if you are so inclined. I post under the name ‘Joe W.’, and I have posted on line since just before the September 11 attack on America. I have lurked around Hot Air for years and have recently been added as a poster. So I am a noob. I do not recognize your name. Should I?? Anyway, I’m sure we’ll engage again, if I don’t earn a ban hammer. I can get a bit testy at times…Cheers…

bimmcorp on April 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM

It’s funny that HotAir seems to be “stories by DailyKos, with comments from conservatives underneath.”

Otherwise I wouldn’t have to go to other sites to find articles like this:

SirGawain on April 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Hard to understand your gibberish, but it DOES kinda sorta sound like you frequent the Daily KOS, does it not??

bimmcorp on April 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I would take a bullet for that man, if need be. I look up to him just like I do my own grandfather.

davidk on April 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM

And I think it is truly appalling that as Chuck says, there are times when somehow simply because somebody takes an opposition, he becomes a conservative hero. You’ve you got to wait, you’ve got to watch, you have got to think about. And look, do I have the right to go graze sheep in Central Park? I think not.

davidk on April 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM

If a racist says 2+2=4, is he wrong?

Meremortal on April 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM

“These Negr0es, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and thats a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quite them down, not enough to make a difference”.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . – Lyndon B Johnson

davidk on April 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM

No doubt in my mind, that he was an ‘accessory’, and possibly more, in the assassination of the Reverend and Dr Martin Luther King Jr.
Every time the subject is presented, I will re-post this statement.

(Had to edit the second word in the quote to get it past the mod.)

davidk on April 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

That would explain my ‘mod-ques’, yesterday.

listens2glenn on April 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

It’s cool though. AP and Ed let trolls post here unmolested all day long. Guess they drive clicks and replies better than I do.

SirGawain on April 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

YOu sound like a maroon.

Given a choice between davidk, bimmcorp……and you, you’d lose.

avagreen on April 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM

what was so hateful that the guy said.
OH AFTER selective editing like nbc did to the Zimmerman tape

meanwhile dingy Harry really wants the money from stealing this land doesn’t he

sniffles1999 on April 26, 2014 at 7:30 AM

I admit it: that was what I was thinking! :D

Score +1 for Allahpundit.

David Blue on April 26, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Says the dirtiest man in Congress.

RdLake on April 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Just watching a paid-for movie on Dish. This is the conversation between a sister, who is at work, and her brother, who isn’t.

“Will you pick me up a birthday card today for mom?”
He said, “Sure.”

She said, “Now I don’t want no half-a$$ed card black card. I want a card with WHITE PEOPLE on it !!”

He said, “Sure thing, sis.”

Is this racist? Will black people be chanting in the streets over this, carrying signs, and calling for a boycott of this movie?

I’ll let you guess the twist.

avagreen on April 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I’ll let you guess the twist.

avagreen on April 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
He rooode a blazing saddle . ♬ . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on April 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM

. . . ♫ . . . . . . . . . . . ♩
He rooode a blazing saddle . ♬ . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on April 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM