Hannity: Bundy’s comments on race are beyond repugnant to me

posted at 6:21 pm on April 24, 2014 by Allahpundit

It’s the story du jour and Hannity’s take is probably the most eagerly awaited in media given how much airtime he’s devoted to the BLM standoff lately, so here you go — a sneak preview of his (presumptive) opening segment on tonight’s Fox News program at 10 p.m. An hour later, the guy he’s been feuding with over this goes on the air on Comedy Central. I wonder if Hannity will come up in his opening segment.

WaPo, incidentally, has posted more context from Bundy’s comments. A taste:

In video of the entire speech, which was obtained first by the Washington Post and shot by someone who describes himself as a Bundy supporter, Bundy said that he “hardly ever” saw a black person until he was almost a teenager and also noted that he is surrounded today by white faces.

“Where is our colored brother? Where is our Mexican brother? Where is our Chinese — where are they?” Bundy said. “They’re just as much American as we are, and they’re not with us. If they’re not with us, they’re going to be against us.”

His take on race relations since the 60s, after describing how he witnessed the Watts riots firsthand:

Before making the comments that made news Thursday, Bundy tied up his point, saying the riots resulted from people not having their freedoms. He said the country needs to avoid returning to those days.

“We’ve progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and we sure don’t want to go back,” Bundy said. “We sure don’t want these colored people to have to go back to that point. We sure don’t want these Mexican people to go back to that point. And we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies and do it in a peaceful way.”

Only one thing is clear, my friends. If this guy turns around and endorses comprehensive immigration reform, it’ll be the troll of the decade.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

btw, if you all want me to explain myself, i wrote a looooong comment earlier today that explained in detail why the slavery comments were racist, but hotair auto-refreshed before i was done and my comment was gone… -__- i’m not doing it again!

still, maybe i shouldn’t have bothered. it’s obvious that the comments were racist (painting african-americans with a broad brush) and downplayed the horror of slavery. i shouldn’t even need to explain in detail. if you don’t understand, you’re dense. i’m sorry, but you are.

Sachiko on April 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM

The dog ate my homework! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
But it is obvious that from his perspective that his words were intended as racism. Seriously yo, that is how it is!

I see the statements as insulting, I do not see them as racist. Of course, I think blacks have a large number of reasons to be insulted. There is no reason for them to live their lives the way a large percentage of them do. The chains are gone. Decades past they showed they were capable of hard work, learning and getting degrees purely on merit and starting their own businesses as well as raising well rounded families. In the last 50 years that has gone away. Now they significantly on welfare. Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 % out of a population of 13%, they care carrying their weight of welfare use 3 times their numbers.

astonerii on April 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM

de rigueur on April 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM

very interesting, are you sure you’re posting in the right thread though?

sesquipedalian on April 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Wherever you are, darlin’, there it is.

It was, as RWM put it, to laugh.

de rigueur on April 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

sesquipedalian on April 24, 2014

Are you sure you should be throwing stones??BTW you’re a POS.

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” -Senator Joe Biden

“A handkerchief-head, chicken-and-biscuit-eating Uncle Tom.” -Spike Lee referring to Clarence Thomas

“White folks was in caves while we was building empires… We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.”- Rev. Al Sharpton

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,…I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” – Joe Biden

“Obama is Electable Because he is Light Skinned with no ***** Dialect.” – Harry Reid

‘Hymietown.’ – Jesse Jackson describing New York City

“Listen he’s a nice person, he’s very articulate” this is what’s been used against him, “but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic.” -Dan Rather

“I’ll have those n**g*ers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” Lyndon Johnson!

“A few years ago this guy would have been getting us coffee.” Bill Clinton

CW on April 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

CW on April 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Now hold on there! Those are her drooling cretins!

de rigueur on April 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM

In today’s America, nothing is worse than being a racist – not being called a thief, a pedophile or even a murderer.

bw222 on April 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I’m pretty sure most people would consider pedophiles to be much worse, than a racists.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Roman Polanski and Mel Gibson.

sharrukin on April 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Sachiko on April 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Install and use Mozilla Firefox as your browser, and install Lazarus as one of your ‘add-ons’, and that should never happen again.

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Harry Reid is clearly trying very hard and very persistently to turn Clive Bundy into today’s Osama bin laden, Public Enemy Number One, and quite possibly get him killed, which is clearly one of the things Reid wants.

And many Republicans, dancing as monkeys on Reid’s command, are piling on. They are not even men. Not even French men, not even close.

VorDaj on April 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Roman Polanski and Mel Gibson.

sharrukin on April 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Roman Polanski, I get . . . . . but Mel Gibson ?

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Roman Polanski, I get . . . . . but Mel Gibson ?

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Pedophile still celebrated.

Drunken Jewish rant stands unforgiven.

sharrukin on April 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM

VorDaj on April 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I really believe that Reid will get that family killed and get that ranch

burrata on April 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Hannity and Beck and other organ grinder’s monkeys, in effect, joined a kind flash mob playing a kind of knock out game. They are probably all too stupid to realize this though and probably never will understand.

VorDaj on April 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Why must the GOP go after their own? Obama was friends with a racist church and a terrorist. I refuse to take part in the stoning of Bundy when there is no requirement for the left to do the same.

TaterTot on April 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Yes, let us all turn to look that the “racist” squirrel, and forget about dogs, tasers, and snipers…

Al Sharpton owes double the money to the government that Bundy owes… I wonder if we will see snipers surrounding his house anytime soon…

PointnClick on April 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Apart from not having gotten involved in the first place, this is the best thing Hannity could have done. Bravo.

Maybe some of the commenters here can follow his lead.

KingGold on April 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I find you repugnant and idiotic. You’re inability to understand what Bundy was saying goes beyond extreme stupidity, and if I had any respect for you at all I might be embarrassed for you.

There, satisfied?

NotCoach on April 24, 2014 at 7:53 PM

VorDaj on April 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I see the Infonutjob Neoconfederates have been let out of the loony bin

Brock Robamney on April 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Septicpigalian….yeh run like the roach you are.

Human trash.

CW on April 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM

“I want to go up to the closest white person
and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him,
just for my mental health.” — Charles Barron, a New York city councilman
at a reparations rally, 2002 : Democrat

“Civil rights laws were not passed to protect
the rights of white men and do not apply to them.” — Mary Frances Berry,
Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights : Democrat

(I) “will not let the white boys win in this
election.” — Donna Brazile, Al Gore’s Campaign Manager on the 2000
election : Democrat

“The old white boys got taken fair and
square.” — San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown after winning an
election : Democrat

“There are white n*ggers. I’ve seen a lot of
white n*ggers in my time.” — Former Klansman and Current US Senator
Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the “conscience
of the Senate” in March of 2001 : Democrat

“The Medicaid system must have been developed
by a white male slave owner. It pays for you to be pregnant and have a baby,
but it won’t pay for much family planning.” — Jocelyn Elders : Democrat

CW on April 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM

it’s not fair taking pot shots at our crazy uncle.

especially when the majority of your own family members are drooling cretins.

sesquipedalian on April 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

“But she is a typical white person who, you know, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know, there is a reaction that has been bred into our experiences that don’t go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way.” – Obama

NotCoach on April 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM

“There’s no great, white bigot; there’s just
about 200 million little white bigots out there.” — USA Today columnist
Julienne Malveaux : Democrat

Heh. Reminds me of someone…anyone? Anyone?

CW on April 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I’m going with National Review’s Williamson on this one, whose sentiments I agree with 100%:

AcronisF on April 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I dont think he’s racist. Maybe not good at expressing himself, but not a racist.

TX-96 on April 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM

everyone needs to stop with the “he’s not good at expressing himself” excuse. the guy is obviously a racist. his comments about slavery were racist. his comments in this article are racist. he is clearly and obviously a racist and it’s sad how far some of you are willing to go to make excuses for him, just because you agree with his opinions about federal land. agree with that all you want. but also call out racism when you see it. how anyone can truly think this guy is not a racist is beyond me. you must have a very tiny definition of what racism is if you actually think he is not racist!!

it’s sad how some conservatives point out racism from the liberal side but then when people who are conservative or libertarian are racist, (or sexist) they make excuses about them. “they can’t really express themselves properly.” “they are well-meaning but inarticulate.” no, those excuses don’t cut it.

Sachiko on April 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I have yet to see any kind of action that is racist from this man. Extremely clumsy and dated-old words, yes. Actions? Not yet.

Do you have any of these that we can judge him by or just a bunch of badly worded statements?

There used to be a time where people would try to make sense of a badly said phrase, look to the actions/behaviors of who was saying it and make an assessment. Now the pitchforks and torches come out immediately. PC will be the death of everyone except the glib and slick.

kim roy on April 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Hannity’s afraid Jon Stewart will attack him again..:)

idesign on April 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Boy, Hannity is brave.

Fallon on April 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

The loudmouth speaks………….before engaging brain.

Lee Jan on April 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM

The loudmouth to whom I refer is HANNITY, lest I was unclear.

Lee Jan on April 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM

TX-96 on April 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Sachiko on April 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I completely agree.

If it was only the fact of Bundy using “outdated” words I could cut him some slack. But that’s not the problem here. He was making a sweeping generalization about an entire group of people based on their race. That’s the definition of racism. It’s as if he had never heard of the black middle and upper class, educated and successful. Or the many brave and patriotic African-Americans who serve or who have served in our armed forces.

And Hannity is absolutely right to publicly make a stink about this, the louder, the better. This has nothing to do with Bundy’s stand against the overreach of the Feds.

ncinca on April 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

AcronisF on April 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM

One of the clearer thinkers in the blogosphere. Good choice.

Jaibones on April 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM

tree hugging sister on April 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Call me number 4

kozanne on April 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM

ncinca on April 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

When the generalization is in fact earned by the plurality of a community it is not racist. It is just telling it like it is.

astonerii on April 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Hannity, Stay in New York please.

Texyank on April 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Looks like Hannity wants to be Harry Reid’s acolyte. Doesn’t he know the ‘racism’ slander doesn’t hold water? Whites just ignore it now. Media types are slow.

shelbyco on April 24, 2014 at 9:53 PM

You know, if Bundy has said the other evil N-word with just an “a” at the end, it’d be ok. You know, like “cracka” is okay but not “cracker”. Thats what Trayvon’s friend/phone witness Jeantel said on CNN last year.

That some here are all up in arms is sad. You’re giving into the left’s mindset. Given welfare and now socialized medicine, we’re all slaves to the government now. Thats part of what this Bundy ranch stand off is all about. Many are talking about the “rule of law” and yet the government continues to do what it wants.

oryguncon on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Mr Hannity, you’re a great scared American.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM

AcronisF on April 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM

One of the clearer thinkers in the blogosphere. Good choice.

Jaibones on April 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM

He makes the case really well, doesn’t he? He sums it up nicely: “Mr. Bundy’s remarks reflect poorly on the man, not on the issue with which the man is associated.”

ncinca on April 24, 2014 at 10:47 PM

ncinca on April 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

astonerii on April 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Sorry, that kind of thinking reminds me too much of the Dems saying to us “We won, get over it.” We get ticked off, rightly so, because we count. Well, I don’t write off millions of people, especially when they are hard working, and doing the right thing. If you think about it some more, do you really want to do that?

ncinca on April 24, 2014 at 10:51 PM

TaterTot on April 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Obama appointed a racist as Attorney General. That racist still holds the job and you are talking about one of Obama’s friends?

thuja on April 24, 2014 at 11:09 PM

So basically what I gather from the Alex Jones crowd here is that if I don’t support KKKliven Bundy then I am a rabid socialist.

Brock Robamney on April 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Brock Robamney on April 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I got that the other day about hiding behind women thing..
Bundy is the wrong guy to get behind. I’ll still take him over Harry Reid.

V7_Sport on April 25, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Brock Robamney on April 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

…and you are a rabid socialist for not supporting Romney. :-D

V7_Sport on April 25, 2014 at 1:19 AM

So the real Sean comes out after twenty years. What happened to supporting free speech and god bless America and the socialists are coming. Now he denies an obscure tax dodger who has some seriously comical but offensive views about blacks and Hannity turns his back on him????
Hannity is dead to me… I am leaving for the gulch tomorrow!! And doggoneit I’ll be riding a horse with a huge American flag in my right hand for effect!

Some of the Reactions to bundy at HA are pure Comedy gold….

Bradky on April 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Bundy is self promoting. Trying hard to extend his 15 minutes of fame. He needed an agent/manager to tell him when to keep his big mouth shut. Too late now.

Darvin Dowdy on April 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Some of the Reactions to bundy at HA are pure Comedy gold….
Bradky on April 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Ok well, if your issue with Hannity is that he doesn’t support anger filled racist rants, I’m sure he will be hurt by your departure from reality

Brock Robamney on April 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Like Rush said, “If you want to piss of a conservative, tell them a lie; if you want to piss of liberal tell them the truth!” If you can’t stand the truth, attack the messenger, especially if he uses unsophisticated homilies to calirfy the Democratic parties New Age Plantation. I’m still waiting for the MSM to vent over their obviously racially motivated attacks on conservative blacks.
Hey Sean, quit sucking up to the liberals, they don’t like turncoats anymore than the conservatives do.

mediamime on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Conservatives in the media can fold when the race card is played. Some have a lot to lose by not playing the game. Hannity may be playing the game to get along.

Liberals are seldom dismayed by the antics or rantings of their peers. So Harry Reid gets a platform and keeps talking. Washington can keep terrorizing Americans.

Bundy is an ordinary guy who got shafted by Washington and is speaking his mind. If he was a liberal speaking his mind about conservatives, it won’t matter what he said.

Ignore what Bundy says and pay attention to what Washington does.

RayBacliff on April 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I am really losing respect for some of our conservative TV talkers. They don’t seem to have enough backbone to stand when the going gets rough. You absolutely can depend on them as long as people are giving them praise…but the first time the tide changes a bit they are gone like the wind. No wonder we are having a difficult time getting people to take us seriously. We are not dependable for the long haul. A liberal will stand their ground even when the world around them is on fire. I don’t agree with their mindset….but you do have to admire their consistency.

texal on April 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM

texall, I ‘ve never given much attention or creedence to the talking heads. I don’t even watch the likes of O’Reilly or Hannity; IMO, they are nothing more than self serving hucksters who don’t make a move or say a word until they’ve carefully considered how it will affect their careers and bottom lines. And those careers are standing on the fringes of issues and being gadflies at no risk , cost or sacrifice to themselves. They are the human version of pilot fish going along for the ride with the sharks.
The only one I can respect is Leven, and that is due to his legal foundation and other ways that he actively participates and backs up his stated goals and principles.
As to the rest, I never understood why so many people pay so much attention to them.

usmc594ever on April 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM

texal on April 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM

The reason why you lose credibility is that you are defending a racist who is not retracting his comments but actually doubling down on them, even trying to justify them. You may think the Alex Jones types are rational, but when we hear stuff like “MLK would not want Rosa Parks to sit in front of the bus” in the middle of the controversy and the neoconfederates still stand by him, you isolate yourself from reality. He is discrediting you guys and you are more than happy to have him as your spokesman.

Brock Robamney on April 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

mediamime on April 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Unsophisticated homilies? Are you kidding? He is an elderly David Duke!

Brock Robamney on April 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

President Obama found time in a schedule cluttered with drone strikes against brown people overseas to address Al Sharpton’s National Action Network convention. Sharpton is man of many parts, nearly all of them loathsome. He is a shake-down artist, a racial incendiary, and – as we were recently reminded – an asset of the secret police.

The least objectionable facet of Sharpton’s record is his tax “evasion,” given that protecting one’s assets from theft is not a crime. That being said, I find it fascinating that on April 11 Mr. Obama was embracing as a role model a public figure said to owe millions of dollars in taxes, and on the next day his administration was prepared to kill a Nevada rancher described as a “deadbeat” because he refuses to pay grazing fees to a branch of government that is not constitutionally permitted to collect them.

Yep….. Ain’t Amerkkka Great

roflmmfao

donabernathy on April 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Rancher Bundy…. seems to be correct….

he wasn’t lamenting the fact that black Americans are no longer required to pick cotton for other people who supposedly “own” them, but that the modern welfare state has cultivated dependency, undermined the family, and helped to bring about both the a stratospherically high incarceration rate for black men and a shockingly high abortion rate for black unborn children (a development he wouldn’t lament if he genuinely hated black people).

That perspective could have been tidily packaged for media consumption in the following phrase: “The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery could not have done, the harshest Jim Crow laws and racism could not have done, namely break up the black family.”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on April 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

It seems to me that most of the comments above refer to left-wing/Harry Reid characterizations of what Bundy said: NOT what Bundy actually said!!

Why buy into left-wing fantasies designed to denigrate everyone who doesn’t agree with them?

landlines on April 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM