Good: Comedienne refuses to apologize for telling jokes

posted at 10:01 pm on April 24, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

In our hypersensitive, self-righteous, constantly offended society, an 80-year-old woman with cojones shall lead us.

Joan Rivers isn’t backing down from her latest controversial comments…

[S]he will not apologize over an appearance on the “Today” show Tuesday in which she compared living arrangements with her daughter to the ordeal of three women held captive for a decade by Ariel Castro.

While promoting their WEtv reality series “Joan and Melissa: Joan Knows Best,” the mother and daughter duo were asked what it was like living together. The elder Rivers has been residing at Melissa’s home in Malibu, Calif., during the taping of the series.

“Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space,” Rivers said.

Obviously, she does not think her living conditions were comparable to those of the women held captive in Ohio. It wouldn’t be a joke if she did. And, if you hate the joke, fine. Hate the joke and move on.

“I’m a comedienne,’’ she said. “I know what those girls went through. It was a little, stupid joke. There is nothing to apologize for. I made a joke. That’s what I do. Calm down. Calm f—— down. I’m a comedienne. They’re free, so let’s move on.’’

Regardless of what you think of Rivers or the joke, in standing up and telling everyone to “calm f****** down,” she took power from the Perpetually Outraged. Patton Oswalt does the same when he refuses to back down from tweeting a Mark Steyn column. I’m as annoyed as the rest of you when Jon Stewart uses his clown-nose-on/clown-nose-off trick to avoid ever being held accountable for his views or his comments, but that’s not what this is. We know what Rivers’ schtick is. She just tells jokes. They’re usually mean. As a society, we should be able to deal with that.

Make fun of everything. Forcing comedians to genuflect to whatever group doesn’t like their jokes is stupid. If comedians allow it to happen, it bodes poorly for the rest of us and our ability to say a damn thing without being hounded out of our livelihoods. Go on with your bad selves (and your sometimes bad jokes), dissidents.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh my lord, this isn’t even close to the most tasteless joke Joan Rivers has told. She skewers everyone and everything on “Fashion Police.” Even I cringe at some of her jokes but generally she is a comedy genius.

rockmom on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Don Rickles is right.

RickB on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

No, you don’t have to make fun of everything. Human first, comic second.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

The embalmers who keep Joan Rivers looking so lifelike really earn their money.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I laughed. You can only be a victim for so long. Character is built on what you do from now on, so get on it ladies.

TinFin on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

As stand up comedians go, she is not a bad one. Hollywood is not my favorite conversation topic, but she does know her trade.

Rix on April 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

When a country loses all sense of humor, and all sense of proportion, it is close to being on it’s death bed.

VorDaj on April 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

…good for her!
..when comedians have to worry about PC…you’ll soon only be able to joke about conservatives!

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Were they surgically implanted?

oldroy on April 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Joan makes tasteless jokes about everyone EXCEPT the Obama family.

lonestar1 on April 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

You consider that lifelike?

cozmospants on April 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

You consider that lifelike?

cozmospants on April 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Compared to her without her makeup?

Yes. Yes I do.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Good for her, stick to your guns.

Mini-14 on April 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I call upon Republican leaders to denounce this vicious insensitivity to wymynzes sumpin and Hispanic, uh, sumpin.

Dolce Far Niente on April 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Compared to her without her makeup?

Yes. Yes I do.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

That’s funny.

oldroy on April 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Every joke through a PC lens if you please, this is now the land no fun.

Piss off all you hyperventilating ninnies, can people just have the chance to laugh every once in a while without worrying that you’ll fall over in anguish? Lock yourselves in a chamber somewhere.

Bishop on April 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Quick….

I need some eye bleach!!!!!

Where is a pic of Nancy….?

Oh my ghad!!!!!!!!!!

Electrongod on April 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Where have you been? Your son was doing his usual drop and run in the Bundy thread today.

He could have used some parental guidance.

Barred on April 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I dare Joan Rivers to say Negr0.

Because if you do, you should lose all your rights, and be destroyed.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

In this day and age, Sam Kinison would’ve been beheaded by now.

NavyMustang on April 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Time for people to stand up to the bullies. I’m tired of all this let’s deal with bullying crap. The way you deal with bullies is to fight back.

crankyoldlady on April 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM

crankyoldlady on April 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Kind of feisty tonight?

oldroy on April 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Because if you do, you should lose all your rights, and be destroyed.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

And you loose Shawn Hannity….

Electrongod on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Best part is that she refers to herself as a comedienne. None of this “I’m an actor, not an actress” crap.

bobs1196 on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

He could have used some parental guidance.

Barred on April 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I’ve been doing court appointed community service because of an incident involving Lib Jr and the local petting zoo. They agreed to drop the criminal charges because the hair will grow back. Eventually. Thank goodness Goats don’t talk.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Black comedians can say what ever they want.

Yea,, I went there..

wolly4321 on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

“I was so ugly that they sent my picture to Ripley’s ‘Believe It or Not’ and he sent it back and said, ‘I don’t believe it.’”

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Lolz! Need to be around more often. Love your humor.

Barred on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Joan Rivers has made a handsome living out of making a spectacle of herself her entire career, and every time her career needs a boost she finds means to generate a little publicity, usually by saying something ‘controversial’. It’s show business.

thatsafactjack on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

No, you don’t have to make fun of everything. Human first, comic second.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Why don’t you give us the master list of what we should and should not make fun of. You know you like my idea.

non-nonpartisan on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Boy, this is as Bad as Jerry Seinfeld being a sexist racist because he hasn’t had any Black-Lesbian-quadrapalegic-transgender comedians on his talk show.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

In this day and age, Dice Clay would be a pariah…

“Little Bo Peep lost her Sheep,
Who F*cking cares, I lost my Wallet,
Nobody’s talking about me.
Screw that Sl*t”

ToddPA on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

“What are people going to do? Fire me? I’ve been fired before. Not book me? I’ve been out of work before. I don’t care.”

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Don Rickles would be arrested today if were still doing his thing.

BobMbx on April 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Oh, I see, this is going to be a thread for all the bad jokes we can remember. I can’t think of any right now but I’m sure the reat of you can.

crankyoldlady on April 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

No, you don’t have to make fun of everything. Human first, comic second.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

” Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.”

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Well, he had a Delores on his show once.

BobMbx on April 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM

She’s a comic. Got it. She is funny, rude, shocking at times. Got it. Could she have used something else to comically illustrate her point? Yes. Pulling out the image of what those women went through to make a joke just did not make it funny to me.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Bravo!

bernzright777 on April 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I personally drew a line at this. Everyone else can draw their own line.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Not a fan of JR, but I get the general point. Fake outrage has grown exponentially in the last 20 years or so.

My addition to the list what couldn’t be made/said again: Blazing Saddles.

22044 on April 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM

In this day and age, Sam Kinison would’ve been beheaded by now.

NavyMustang on April 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Sadly, yes…

roy_batty on April 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM

If you’ve ever heard one of those comics in a lounge at night telling jokes to a bunch of drunks you would think her stuff is mild. I’m sure she has worked a place like that.

crankyoldlady on April 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Joan Rivers hasn’t been funny in at least five noses. Maybe six.

Sorry, but she should be condemned for joking about three girls who each had a decade taken away from their lives. Oh, and who were raped and forced into abortions (and with one of the girls, childbirth, where the child was manipulated by the kidnapper).

Next, I expect you to defend Sarah Silverman for her HILARIOUS tweet of a doodled swastika.

Shame on you, MKH.

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM

The embalmers who keep Joan Rivers looking so lifelike really earn their money.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

“My face has been tucked in more times than a bedsheet at the Holiday Inn.”

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM

The Pantheon of Comics…..

Let’s start with Nipsey Russell! Boston BLACKIE!!

In the 70′s there were the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts..
Funny as Hell!

Foster Brooks was outstanding….I watched these as a kid…

ToddPA on April 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM

She has a right to say these things without apologizing. It doesn’t make it good comedy. If I had gone through what those girls did, and lived to tell it, I would not appreciate the attention brought on me because of this hag.

chris0christies0donut on April 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Johnny Carson had a point when he banned her from “The Tonight Show” (Leno and Conan honored the ban).

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Lenny Bruce and Henny Youngman were old time comics that could get very foul. Don Rickles was capable of it late at night.

crankyoldlady on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

She said of that, ” I tried to contact Johnny to reconcile our friendship, a million times, but he just wasn’t having it. When he passed away, I felt such a crushing blow, that things were still unresolved. Johnny was a dear friend, I wish things would’ve ended different, this just was not worth it.”

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Quadrapalegics don’t qualified as a preferred minority.

bw222 on April 24, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Can we talk?!? I love Joan Rivers!

SouthernGent on April 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Compared to her without her makeup?

Yes. Yes I do.

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

That’s funny.

oldroy on April 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Funny? I practically jumped out of my seat when I saw that picture. It’s what I imagine the souls of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama to look like.

Gladtobehere on April 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM

…to the point she felt like being a decade-long prisoner/rape victim of Ariel Castro.

It finally makes sense.

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Somehow, that reminded me of this.

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Every joke through a PC lens if you please, this is now the land no fun.

Bishop on April 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM

This should make you feel a little better :

listens2glenn on April 24, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Hell, half the people who are offended by this had to research the connection.

But yeah, Kinnison would have been murdered by someone by now; I almost had to be hospitalized for extreme stomach cramping the first time I heard the guy.

Bishop on April 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

“Comedy is really tragedy happening to someone else”

- W.C. Fields

Ned the Mumbler on April 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Check out Dave Attel’s “Road Work”. He talks about “little people” and “special people” in most politically incorrect terms (as well as a few other topics) … and it’s funny.

Ruckus_Tom on April 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM

…how come Joe Biden reminds me of Don Rickles…on a bad night?

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM

…how come Joe Biden reminds me of Don Rickles…on a bad night?

KOOLAID2 on April 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Well, Don Rickles could easily beat Paul Ryan in a debate.

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I love it when uptight people get upset. It makes me feel good inside.

pedestrian on April 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I’m really starting to like this woman. The only thing that would endear me even more would be if she stood up and said that she was a registered Republican (I assume that all etertainers are Democrat until proven otherwise).

SupplyGuy on April 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM

wow, the ridiculousness of this post and most of the comments is breathtaking.

would you make that joke to the kidnapping victims, or their families? do you really think their situation is funny enough to joke about? do you really think all the people upset over this joke- including me- are upset for selfish reasons? that makes no sense. the kidnapping of the women has nothing to do with me. why would i choose to be upset for selfish reasons, as if i myself were offended and purposely seeking attention? no, i am upset because of how hurt those women and their families were because of that joke. i’m not saying that joan rivers supports kidnapping. but what i am saying is that she should apologize for making light of a very serious situation.

plus, a skilled comedian/comedienne is clever enough to make funny jokes without desperately resorting to the idiotic, easy-to-use tactic of making fun of horrible real-life events. i don’t know much about her but i can tell, she’s not very skilled at comedy if she relies on stuff like this in order to attempt to be funny.

but yeah, i hate when people hurt others’ feelings and then hide behind the excuse of “it was only a joke.” to all of you who think this failed comedienne is funny: if someone made a joke like that about your family member if something awful had happened to them, would you think it was funny? it’s easy for you all to not give a s*** about how the kidnapped women feel because those women aren’t in your family. i think it would be a different story if they were in your family, just saying.

and again i ask, would you make this exact same joke to the kidnapped women or their families? and then would you tell them, “lighten up! it’s only a joke”? would you say that to their faces? if there is nothing wrong with this joke at all, then i guess you would be completely fine making the same joke right to those women directly. if you would feel uncomfortable telling that joke to those women, that proves you think something IS wrong with that joke.

comedy has its limits, you all. sometimes things really are not funny in anyw way. it doesn’t make you tough or smart just because you have the “courage” to make fun of a terrible situation. it just makes you an idiot.

No, you don’t have to make fun of everything. Human first, comic second.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Sachiko on April 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I’m not a liberal and don’t consider myself to be one of the “Perpetually Offended,” nor would I define myself as being “uptight,” but, I’ve never been a supporter of comics who think it’s funny to make jokes about sensitive topics or news stories, where people died or were sexually assaulted.

So no, I don’t agree with her trying to make a joke at the expense of young women who were kept as sex slaves to some pervert for ten or more years.

Aside from the fact it’s insensitive and tacky, such jokes are not even funny anyway, like the jokes by the other type of comic (or average Hollywood comedy films) that think making wisecracks about bodily functions is funny – they’re not.

TigerPaw on April 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM

So then – who’s mocking Obama?

Yeah……No One…..Because That’d Be RAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!

williamg on April 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM

also please don’t try to explain “no, i wouldn’t tell that joke directly to those women, but i still think it’s okay that joan rivers said it, because she wasn’t trying to say it directly to those women- it wasn’t meant for them.”

here’s a little tip: if your best defense to defend something you’ve said is “my comment wasn’t meant for that particular person to hear”… that’s a pretty pathetic defense. it doesn’t work. anything you are willing to say about another person, you should also be willing to say to their face.

Sachiko on April 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM

She is definitely not shy: http://youtu.be/8_ITBg023KU

bluegill on April 25, 2014 at 12:28 AM

One of the tenets of the Holocaust is “never forget”. Society must remember what happened to these women. Bravo to Rivers for keeping this tragedy in the spotlight. Obviously Rivers was not ridiculing the victims. Instead she was exaggerating her own circumstances for comic effect.

edrebber on April 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM

So refreshing!

The Notorious G.O.P on April 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM

edrebber on April 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM

So, to be clear, the best way to remember the Holocaust is by cracking oven jokes?

You can laugh, I’ll pass.

chris0christies0donut on April 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Thing is, it ain’t funny.

NorthernCross on April 25, 2014 at 1:20 AM

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Yes, she could have used something else, but then she’d be being someone other than herself. I’d rather that she be herself.

I personally drew a line at this. Everyone else can draw their own line.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Yes. People can judge for themselves. What she said wasn’t meanspirited, which is what counts most to me.

non-nonpartisan on April 25, 2014 at 1:46 AM

wow, the ridiculousness of this post and most of the comments is breathtaking.

Sachiko on April 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM

You should probably take a deep breath after this rant.

If something’s not funny to you, that means it wasn’t possibly funny. We get the attitude of people like you.

non-nonpartisan on April 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Sachiko on April 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Lighten up Francis.

Knighthawk on April 25, 2014 at 4:35 AM

When did it become a right not to have your damn feelings hurt? Grow up children.

rhombus on April 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM

davidk on April 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

It had nothing to do with her material…

Khun Joe on April 25, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Much of humor is rooted in pain – Rivers a tough woman – she’s right.

jake-the-goose on April 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Lighten up Francis.

Knighthawk on April 25, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Yep.

roy_batty on April 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM

How do you spell I’m offended?
C O N T R O L

Don L on April 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM

SupplyGuy on April 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM

You really want the Dems to ramp up their “war on women” lie?

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

It had nothing to do with her material…

Khun Joe on April 25, 2014 at 6:34 AM

But it had EVERYTHING to do with bad personal choices on her part.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Q. How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. THAT’S NOT FUNNY!!!!

Tom Servo on April 25, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Sachiko on April 25, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Lighten up Francis.

Knighthawk on April 25, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Sachiko is the only one here who truly gets it.

Otherwise, the ignorant attitude most have on here is breathtaking.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Joan makes tasteless jokes about everyone EXCEPT the Obama family.
lonestar1 on April 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

The thread SHOULD HAVE stopped, right there.

Cleombrotus on April 25, 2014 at 7:44 AM

And that’s how you do it. Tell the ‘Great Offendi’s” to screw themselves and grow up, and stay on point.
The only power they have is that which you allow them.

usmc594ever on April 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM

The only power they have is that which you allow them.

usmc594ever on April 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM

I triple-double-dog-dare her to act that way in the neighborhood that Gina, Michelle and Amanda were taken from. And see how the locals react.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Otherwise, the ignorant attitude most have on here is breathtaking.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM

It sure is…..

roy_batty on April 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM

But it had EVERYTHING to do with bad personal choices on her part.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Do recount oh expert of the interwebs.

Is there more to it than Carson getting upset she left to do her own show?

roy_batty on April 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I doubt most of you on this thread are from Cleveland. There is a protectionist attitude… some may even say an inferiority complex… that many in the city have. That being said, read up on the whole saga, and you’ll find it’s not a laughing matter.

My respect for most of you went right out the window, mainly because this cavalier attitude fortifies the lies spewed by Dems about the “war on women.”

Joan Rivers has deteriorated into the comic version of Todd Achin’.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

No, you don’t have to make fun of everything. Human first, comic second.

underdog on April 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Does it bother you that you don’t get to determine what people get to make fun of?

Good Lt on April 25, 2014 at 8:32 AM

For me, the point- the whole point- is someone telling the perpetually offended to “calm the eff down” and refusing to apologize to them.
Instead, it morphs into being about Rivers, the ‘war on women’, and so on.
In reading this and the Bundy thread, it’s easy to see why the left has such an easy time doing whatever they please and getting away with it. It’s easy for them to control the message and narrative , change subjects at will , and lead the right around by the nose.

usmc594ever on April 25, 2014 at 8:32 AM

libfreesMom on April 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

HA that was awesome :)
hey we’ve all been there.
and by that I mean covering up for retarded liberals.

dmacleo on April 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Are you even 30? Rivers has been dropping “shockers” like this her entire career. This isn’t new, especially interesting, or even that outrageous as far as Rivers goes. You have the same mindset as the teacher who calls the police when a kid brings a toy gun to school. Quit clutching your pearls and get some perspective about life. Not everything requires wrestle to the mat outrage. Sometimes you just move on.

roy_batty on April 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Joan Rivers has deteriorated into the comic version of Todd Achin’.

Myron Falwell on April 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Aw. Do you has a sad?

Good Lt on April 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Joan Rivers hasn’t been funny in at least five noses. Maybe six.

Shame on you, MKH.

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM

The butt-hurt.

It’s epic.

Good Lt on April 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Joan Rivers is right…calm down. Jon Stewart is the biggest bully with Colbert in 2nd place. The daily ridicule, putting people down, and using out-of-context snippets to advance an agenda. And no one says a freakin’ word about it. Bullies to their core masked under the guise of comedy.

SueZeeQ on April 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM

…the Prophet Mohamed laughed so hard he fell off his camel….upon rising from the sand he instituted shariah law and nobody has laughed since

clandestine on April 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM