Captain Kirk: Give Hillary the conn

posted at 3:41 pm on April 24, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

In a way, I feel doubly responsible for what you are about to see. Not only am I the site’s resident (if recovering) Trekker, I also hail from the state that elected Jesse Ventura as governor. William Shatner, AKA Captain James T. Kirk from Star Trek, tells Ventura in this interview that only Hillary Clinton can bring peace to the political galaxy by uniting the Yangs and the Comms … er, the Romulans and the Vulcans … no, the Federation and the Klingon Empire …

Dammit, I’m a blogger, not a screenwriter!

The Free Beacon tells Shatner to “stick to Priceline commercials and avoid any further political commentary,” but who can really claim to be surprised by this endorsement, other than perhaps its premature launch? I love Star Trek, but its ethos is the kind of simplistic Utopianism that fueled the 1960s and 1970s. That’s perhaps even more true of The Next Generation than of ST:TOS. We should have expected a Bernie Sanders endorsement, or maybe Howard Dean. Be thankful he stuck with the political equivalent of making Carol Marcus the commander of Star Fleet.

Anyway, it’s rather humorous to hear Shatner referring to his directing career as a life lesson in rational compromise while defending core values. He’s directed two cinematic features — the notorious turkey Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and the even-worse Groom Lake, which currently has an IMDB rating of 2.4 on their 10-point scale. Even more amusing, he’s making that argument to the one man who united Republicans and the DFL in Minnesota — to cut Ventura out of the budgetary loop. He’s a great actor (if not exactly known for his ability to work well with others as he claims Hillary can do) and perhaps an even better raconteur, but this rationale for an early endorsement is as cerebral as Spock’s Brain.

I do have a Trek-related question for Captain Kirk, though, while we ponder the mysterious designation of Hillary Clinton as Madame Bipartisanship. What kind of a score would a cadet get on the Kobayashi Maru test if she refused to enter the Neutral Zone after receiving the distress call, and later blamed the incident on a mean-spirited subspace transmission? I’m, er … asking for a friend.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m a Trekker, too.

I actually liked the Final Frontier. But then, I also liked Insurrection and Nemesis.

All of my fandom aside, I just wish these people would shut up and sing a song. Or, act, as the case may be.

Conservative Mischief on April 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

“Khaaaaaaaannnnnn!!!!!

Del Dolemonte on April 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM

The Federation is a liberal organization. Surely you didn’t think captain Picard would be a Tpartier? Or any Federation captain for that matter.

AmlissVess on April 24, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Scottie is Tea Party… I’ll bet a Romulan ale…

PointnClick on April 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM

captain Picard
AmlissVess on April 24, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Let’s put it this way: He disagrees wholeheartedly with the Duck Dynasty guy in many ways and especially about what he finds attractive.

CW on April 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Let’s be honest here. Kirk just wants to add a presidential notch to his bed post.

Wisdom_of_Homer on April 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I dislike my former Governor a little more each time I see him.

The idea that Hillary isn’t a liberal fundamentalist is a sign that nobody can be described as far left.

jpmn on April 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

The Kobayashi Maru is a psychological test and is not scored like a normal command scenario would be.

However, I would theorize that had there been a Cadet Hillary Rodham in Starfleet Academy, she would have followed much the same path as Janice Lester (from the TOS episode “Turnabout Intruder”) did.

malclave on April 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Star Trek is a socialist model of where this country is heading, only not so nicely, Everyone will be poor except for the really rich who will hold it over the rest of us. And they will be liberals.

Duna on April 24, 2014 at 9:25 PM

What kind of a score would a cadet get on the Kobayashi Maru test if she refused to enter the Neutral Zone after receiving the distress call, and later blamed the incident on a mean-spirited subspace transmission? I’m, er … asking for a friend.

lol.. Great question.

Murf76 on April 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM

What real man would wear a purple shirt, unless he’s for the Vikings or LSwho.

Kissmygrits on April 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

..Because purple has been a masculine colour for centuries, perhaps?

Reaps on April 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I have lost all respect for Shatner, Kirk, & Star Trek…

easyt65 on April 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Captain Kirk: Give Hillary the conn

CONNNNNNNNNNNMNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Myron Falwell on April 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Well played.

Reaps on April 24, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Who cares who he or any other actor endorses? They literally work in fantasy land, and that’s where a lot of their opinions are based. Just take a look at why he favors her…it’s pie in the sky bs.

changer1701 on April 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Hillary is the Gorn.

bildung on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Here you have one space cadet interviewing another. The Truther doing the Trekker.

Northpaw on April 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I dislike my former Governor a little more each time I see him.

jpmn on April 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM

A 9/11 truther, a phony who never saw combat and lied about his military service, taking the widow of Chris Kyle to court because he acknowledged he slugged him… Not a lot to like there.

Captain Kirk: Give Hillary the conn

Beam him back to Toronto.

V7_Sport on April 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM

malclave on April 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Cadet eon would have done something creative, like photorp the KM from long range, dodge in with a Picard Maneuver while the (relatively slow) torps were on their run in, use all transporters to beam the survivors off in one go, and then beat feet at maximum warp while the exploding KM was blanking the D-7s’ targeting sensors.

When the Board of Inquiry into said cadet’s reckless behavior was convened, my defense would have been;

1. Everybody knows that the KM is a “no-win” scenario. Most cadets are therefore likely to slough it off, because they know that if there’s no way to “win” it, there’s technically no way to bilge it, either.

2. If the purpose is to see how the cadets might face death in the field, by essentially putting them in that sort of emotion-charged situation, it’s an Epic Fail, because everybody knows it’s a damned simulation. Humans cannot turn the “correct” emotions on and off, which would be what this test would require them to be capable of for it to be valid. In reality, the only thing that would be “gradable”, or could conceivably be evaluated in a valid way, would be the cadets’ talent for histrionics as they “simulated” Dying Gallantly In The Best Tradition Of The Star Fleet.

3. In short, the scenario is total BS and a waste of time and resources.

And yes, I would tell “New Spock” that to his face. I suspect “Classic Spock” would raise one eyebrow, and acknowledge the logic of my arguments.

I can just about guarantee you that if any instructor at the Galactic Patrol Academy suggested such a training scenario would be a worthwhile expenditure of time and resources, Lieutenant-Marshal von Hohendorff, the Commandant of Cadets, would have immediately scheduled a psych eval for that officer. And there’s no way Port Admiral Haynes would have over-ruled him.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Two acting greats were beamed up not long ago – Shirley Temple and Mickey Rooney. If Kirk were to join them, I would still be saying only two greats were beamed up. I know William is even older than Dianne Feinstein, but that is no excuse on being this ignorant.

CommieJuice on April 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM

3. In short, the scenario is total BS and a waste of time and resources.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Dude.

V7_Sport on April 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM

1. Everybody knows that the KM is a “no-win” scenario.

eon on April 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Actually, part of the test is that the cadets taking the test DON’T know it’s a no-win situation.

One of the Star Trek novels several years ago had Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov telling about their tests. I especially liked Scotty’s.

malclave on April 25, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Hillary is the Gorn.

bildung on April 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I dunno. The Gorn was kinda hot.

WryTrvllr on April 25, 2014 at 2:04 AM

You ah, the more I think on it, Hillary is most definitely the salt sucker.

WryTrvllr on April 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Bill certainly understands Bill. After all, his role on Star Trek was to romance every alien in sight which had one or more boobs and zero or more navels.

unclesmrgol on April 25, 2014 at 2:47 AM

What kind of score would a cadet get on the Kobayashi Maru test if she decided in the middle of it all to leave the bridge at 3AM Sulu Time to get some sleep?

unclesmrgol on April 25, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Shattner needs a writer if he is going to say something that sounds intelligent. It’s what actors do without adult supervision.

widget on April 25, 2014 at 5:27 AM

Kobayashi Maru? What difference does it make? I still can’t watch anything BUT TOS (I’m that old). I tried the Next Generation but that idiotic counselor on the bridge who “sensed” things? That was too much liberal crap for me, even back then. Give me the good old Cold War Star Trek where JFK Jim Kirk fought Klingons that resembled Soviets.

rhombus on April 25, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Whenare these “Canadian actors” going to STFU on our politics and straighten out their own messes. I understand Toronto could use some sanity in its’ governance.

Boats48 on April 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Kirk is lost in space, babbles on jive

clandestine on April 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

As a die hard Shatner and Trek fan this depresses me. Seriously guys, I am heart broken over this. As for Trek, I always felt like the original series had conservative undertones. How many times did Kirk violate the prime directive to free people from oppressive computers or entities and give them freedom?

Jack_Burton on April 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Ditto! Especially in The Omega Glory episode to which Ed refers (where Kirk solves the drama by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and the Preamble to the Constitution.)

As for Shatner, though, I’m not surprised. I’m surprised if I learn that a celebrity IS conservative.

Sue Doenim on April 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Says more about those two political parties than anything about the ex-WWF gov.

I’d compare Hillary to Janeway but that would be a disservice to Janeway.

oryguncon on April 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM

OMG….does Denny Crane have Mad-Cow disease after all?

Ricks Cafe on April 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Federation captains might not be Tea Party, but the admirals sure as heck are!

wbcoleman on April 25, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Stay out of politics Capt. Kirk. Hillary is a witch.

Whitey Ford on April 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM

As a long time star trek fan, I am so disappointed to hear this. I don’t want to know about his political beliefs. I thought he was smarter than that, after all, he’s Captain Kirk.

greencalliope on April 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM

So killing the Americans in Libya was compromise? Allowing your husband to molest women and then defend him is compromise?

This guy doesn’t even know who Hilary is running against and he endorses her, and that is compromise?

Hening on April 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Yo Bill stick to fighting Klingons

Hillary is not qualified at all

because WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE
really upset a lot of americans

besides that

Bill Shatner looks real good for a guy who has to be like 80 years old.

sniffles1999 on April 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

You ah, the more I think on it, Hillary is most definitely the salt sucker.

WryTrvllr on April 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Hey i liked that episode, the alien could be any hot babe you want, for a lousy bag of salt
move to the beach and party on babe

sniffles1999 on April 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

bill shatner looks real good for a guy who has to be like 80 years old, he was doing twilight zone episodes in 1961

As for him supporting hillary, ehhh . . so he is wrong on that

sniffles1999 on April 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Shouldn’t he be like, selling hotel rooms, or something?

Galtian on April 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

All my childhood icons are off their pedestals now. Bye bye Captain you have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are an idiot.

neyney on April 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Yup, I’m going to base my ’16 vote on what an 83-year-old Canadian actor told a wrestler/conspiracy nut.

Chickyraptor on April 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Hillary Clinton is a complete waste product and Shatner must be right up there for honors as the world’s stupidest man. She has no credentials at all, but she has killed four Americans.

dogsoldier on April 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Anyone know how to contact the Borg to come back in time and assimilate this knucklehead? Come to think of it, another 4 years of democratic administration and we’ll all be assimilated. Resistance is not futile however. For starters, someone shove Reid into the transporter. I hear there’s a pad in Antarctica somewhere.

abester on April 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Is William Shatner an American citizen? I know that he is originally from Canada, but I don’t know if he ever became a U.S. citizen or not, though he lives in Kentucky, I believe.

FeedTheHogs on April 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I love Star Trek, but as far as I’m concerned, he can pull the pin on a photon torpedo and sit on it.

trigon on April 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM

She’s dead, Jim.

Ray Van Dune on April 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Where no man will ever go again.

Ray Van Dune on April 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Hollywood celebrities are bad news, all along the line.

David Blue on April 26, 2014 at 5:45 AM

She would have been asked to be the test subject in a newly repaired transporter station and “beamed” down to a moon of Jupiter.

hawkdriver on April 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM