Oh, was yesterday Earth Day?

posted at 7:21 pm on April 23, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Contrarian free-market environmentalist that I consider myself, I don’t know that I necessarily oppose the idea of designating a day on which we might take a moment to be especially mindful of the resources we consume and the subsequent neighborhood effects of those consumption habits… although, then again, that’s pretty much exactly what — you know — prices are for, but sure. Designating that day based on the co-impetus of some psycho hippie who murdered and “composted” his girlfriend and then turning it into a celebration of alarmism and top-down collectivization (i.e., eco-radicals’ two favorite things), though? Er…

While I’m sure public-school children across America were treated to plenty of indoctrinating lectures to mark the occasion, I almost managed to miss it entirely — which might be because Americans just aren’t ranking the issue as a major priority right now compared to all of our other problems.

Americans' Level of Worry About National Problems -- 2014 Rank Order

Americans' Worry About the Environment Over Time

Another Gallup poll from just yesterday notes that one in four Americans consider themselves “solidly skeptical” of global warming, and while the radical greens would probably blithely deem all of those people as knuckle-dragging, flat-earth-society “deniers,” I doubt very much that every single one of them would deny that climate change is a thing that exists and that has been both warming and cooling the planet at various intervals throughout its existence. If so much of the pubic is reluctant to cotton on to the notion that any warming we might be experiencing right now is entirely anthropogenic in nature and that we must endeavor to halt the changes at absolutely all costs, maybe those eco-radicals should blame themselves and the imminently calamitous scenarios they’ve been peddling for ages without any such disasters coming to pass. Oh, and let’s not forget that just about all of the solutions these radicals like to propose — from the United Nations on down — always seem to involve economic shrinkage, self-impoverishment, forced taxpayer “investment,” and further big-government/supranational regulation. Notice above how environmental concern tends to dip in times of economic hardship, anyone?

Anyhow. In belated recognition of Earth Day, my favorite pieces on the subject were from Patrick Michaels at Forbes on the environmentalist bureaucracy’s relatively short yet decreasingly effective history, and this little ditty on the continuing significance of fossil fuels from Mark Perry at AEI:

energy

From 1949 to 2040, fossil fuels have provided, and will continue to provide, the vast majority of our energy by far, according to President Obama’s Department of Energy. Last year, fossil fuels provided almost 84% of America’s energy consumption, nearly unchanged from the 85% fossil-fuel share in the early 1990s. Despite Obama’s dismissal of oil and other fossil fuels as “energy sources of the past,” his own DOE forecasts that they will still be the dominant energy source in 2040, providing more than 80% of our needs (see chart). …

The full awareness and appreciation of Earth’s natural environment really makes sense only as a greater appreciation of the human resourcefulness and human ingenuity that have transformed natural resources like sand into computer chips, and oil and gas trapped in shale formations miles below the ground into usable energy.

Comments

Vladimir Lenin date of birth
April 22, 1870

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Raaaaaace relaaaaaaations!

Lanceman on April 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM

My celebration of Earth Day.

Stoic Patriot on April 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Hmmm. Illegal immigration is pretty low on that list.

And yet, Boehner is “hellbent” on passing amnesty. I thought these guys in DC lived on polls.

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Dear earth I love you. I wish that us stupid humans don’t pollute you to death. Hope you are around for billions more years until the sun explodes and then of course you got to go.

Sincerely,

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM

adimir Lenin date of birth April 22, 1870 Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Beat me to it.

And no,, it’s no coincidance it’s(he same day.

Next up? May day.

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

No greater hubris than “save the earth!”

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I forget who it was but he said he was going to celebrate earth day by turning on all the lights in the house.

crankyoldlady on April 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I live way out in the country. Yestiddy I was changing the oil in my pickup when I seen an antbed. Viola, two birds with one stone. Pretty handy to drain the oil and get rid of them ants at the same time.

There was a dab of climate change. It was a little warmer when I finished than when I started.

Lincoln Cadillac on April 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Dear Earth. I love you. I hope we humans can keep you in your pristine state until, say, an asteroid smack sets the continents adrift or wipes out most life.

Love

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Sincerely,

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM

The earth will be just fine. OTOH, the people on the earth…………………….

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM

hey cool repubica

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

hey cool repubica

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That one always gets me dying laughing!

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM

The Secert Bloody History of Earth Day

Star Bird on April 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM

My wife and I considered posting social media pics to pay homage all the gifts of energy Gaia gives us through fossil fuels, but in the end our antipathy toward Earth Day celebrations won the day.

SteveInRTP on April 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Years ago Jay Leno (or his writer) said that the best thing about getting fried hippies etc. to plant trees on Earth Day is it means more Christmas trees for December.

viking01 on April 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Lincoln Cadillac on April 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Resourceful. I like the cut of your jib, sir.

tominsd on April 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM

hey cool repubica

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That was funny. I guess deep down I am a tree huger. Not extreme. Just love trees.

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I celebrated Earth Day by breathing in and out one less time, taking only one dump, drinking an extra ‘micro brew’, keeping my farts to a minimum (riiight)and drinking out of the toilet. Sincerely, Chris Hayes…

vnvet on April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I don’t celebrate or worship creation. I celebrate and worship the creator.

sadsushi on April 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Yeah, prices … and the fourth Thursday in November. I really do not care whether or how other countries might do it.

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Yepper, I celebrated by smoking a little rubber off the rear Metzler with some ethanol-free premium. Then I had a beer in remembrance of Holly Maddux.

M240H on April 23, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Erika,

You just described externalities, which prices don’t account for.

themuppet on April 23, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Hope you are around for billions more years until the sun explodes

Our Sun is too small to go nova. In a few billion years, we are looking at red giant followed by white dwarf. Size does matter when it comes to stars.

Laurence on April 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Still my favorite. Anyone know what happened to the original? Mann sue?

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I celebrated Earth Day the same way I do every year: I spent the entire day on planet.

Laurence on April 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

[wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM]

LOL. It’s amazing just how ignorant they are, isn’t it.

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

If so much of the pubic is reluctant to cotton

… try a cotton blend, or maybe silk?

Midas on April 23, 2014 at 7:53 PM

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

So does IKEA

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM

LOL. It’s amazing just how ignorant they are, isn’t it.

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Learning disabled.

crankyoldlady on April 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM

hey cool repubica

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Wow, drugs are *bad*. Just sayin’.

Midas on April 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Earth tip: Turning off a 60 watt bulb for 8 hours will save enough energy to power a 60 watt bulb for 8 hours.

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM

“You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity. Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There’s been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away — all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in Arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. It might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears the earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It’s powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. Do you think this is the first time that’s happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive glass, like fluorine. When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. A hundred years ago we didn’t have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can’t imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven’t got the humility to try. We’ve been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we’re gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us.”
― Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park / Congo

thebrokenrattle on April 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Still my favorite. Anyone know what happened to the original? Mann sue?

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Isn’t this the original? It was in the side bar list at your link.

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I prefer Frozen Wasteland, myself. There is something about ersatz Viking helmets especially considering that the Vikings were a product of the global warming of the Medieval Optimum Period

Laurence on April 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM

thebrokenrattle on April 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Read by Charleton Heston.

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Knowing about Ira Einhorn is all I need not to celebrate Earth Day. Had I been home, I would have turned on all the lights in the house.

PatriotGal2257 on April 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM

My sister posted this proudly on her FB page, in solemn seriousness :

When we walk like rushing, we print anxiety and sorrow on the earth. We have to walk in a way that we only print Peace and Serenity on the earth… Be aware of the contact between your feet and the Earth.
Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

I ran out to the backyard and tried to barf all over her mother.
Then, I stomped all the way back into the house.
I guess that was my celebration.

pambi on April 23, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM

THANK YOU!!!! Case of your favorite micro if your ever in wisconsin!!!!!

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM

You’re welcome. I’ll keep that offer in mind if I’m ever nearby. Can I bring the brats?

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I don’t celebrate or worship creation. I celebrate and worship the creator.

sadsushi on April 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Brilliant Post.

ToddPA on April 23, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Do they drink micros? (of course!!)

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Can I bring the brats?

Dusty on April 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM

How many kids do you have?

(rimshot)

viking01 on April 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM

The post by broken rattle is top notch. I read this before,
and it should be required reading by ALL US HIGH SCHOOLS.

ToddPA on April 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM

@thebrokenrattle on April 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

the earth will be here long after the human race is gone, but while we are here, we are totally able to do great damage to it and that means to ourselves. Pollution is a big issue for me. Nobody wants every city to be like Beijing or Delhi. That would be intolerable. So I do worry about is being done to make sure our water supply is clean and our air breathable while we are still on this planet.

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Earth Day is now just about as popular as Kwanza…

HiJack on April 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Earth Day is now just about as popular as Kwanza…

HiJack on April 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Oddly enough they both celebrate collectivism.

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Poverty is the worst polluter.

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Earth Day is now just about as popular as Kwanza…

HiJack on April 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Oddly enough they both celebrate collectivism.

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

… and depend on the Ass. Press to promote them.

viking01 on April 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM

arth will be here long after the human race is gone, but while we are here, we are totally able to do great damage to it and that means to ourselves. Pollution is a big issue for me. Nobody wants every city to be like Beijing or Delhi. That would be intolerable. So I do worry about is being done to make sure our water supply is clean and our air breathable while we are still on this planet. coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Just don’t live in a city.

It’s a BIG world, dude. In the Navy I got to take a slow boat all over it.

It cleans itself. It has filters. Nothing survives the oceans.

More CO2? More plants to eat it. It balances itself.

It’s a feedback loop.

I get your point, though. I don’t waste things or litter.

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I don’t celebrate or worship creation. I celebrate and worship the creator.

sadsushi on April 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I…like the cut of this jib!

22044 on April 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Yeah it was earth day. It was also a good time to look out across the universe and see all the lifeless moons and planets and then take a look at our little blue marble. Everywhere you turn there is life on earth. From the smallest microbe to the largest land and sea mammals. From the desert to the frozen Arctic there is life. You can’t even move or touch anything without coming in contact with it. So instead of taking the time to celebrate and honor creation, people should probably take a little time to celebrate and honor the creator.

iceman1960 on April 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I don’t celebrate or worship creation. I celebrate and worship the creator.

sadsushi on April 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Brilliant Post.

ToddPA on April 23, 2014 at 8:20 PM

…ditto that!

KOOLAID2 on April 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

So does IKEA

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM

The best way to ‘sequester Carbon’ is to cut down a tree when it is mature, and make it into fine furniture that will last for many decades.

Don’t know if IKEA furniture would last that long though.

slickwillie2001 on April 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM

GREAT article to read, to celebrate Earth Day!

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Evidently, you like big trees.

HiJack on April 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Earth gets a day, but not Wind & Fire? Nah — I get it. I see how it is.

#BandPolitics #YokoStrikesAgain

^ I celebrated the whole thing on Twitter in 30 seconds. :)

And I want my 30 seconds back.

Axe on April 23, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Ira Einhorn. Didn’t his girlfriend end up in a suitcase?

BigAlSouth on April 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM

wolly4321 on April 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

You know wolly, I grew up in the NE. I thought whitetails were extinct. It took me 2 years of living on a farm to learn 1) Plastic does decay. 2) The wild will prevail.

Shoulda spent more time with Kipling.

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

. . . besides, I don’t want to compost my girlfriend. Seems a little extreme.

I don’t celebrate or worship creation. I celebrate and worship the creator.

sadsushi on April 23, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM

^ Bump. :)

Axe on April 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Ah, Earth Day. The day that people with sensitive noses should avoid approaching the UC Davis quad from downwind.

Count to 10 on April 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Earth Day is now just about as popular as Kwanza…

HiJack on April 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Oddly enough they both celebrate collectivism.

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I am sure it was just a coincidence that Earth Day is celebrated on Vladimir Lenin’s birthday, and was started in 1970 on Vlad’s 100th birthday.

Dasher on April 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Or, as I like to call it, Psychopathic Murderers’ Day.

Laura Castellano on April 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM

THANK YOU!!!! Case of your favorite micro if your ever in wisconsin!!!!!

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Cheesehead, ‘eh? I’m way up nort der.

Mimzey on April 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM

The late Michael Crichton, author of “State of Fear,” along with a panel of distinguished scientists, examine the increasing politicization of science at an event sponsored by the Independent Institute from 2005.

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM

~~40 mins Michael covers the stupidity of progtards mismanaging Yellowstone.

Murphy9 on April 24, 2014 at 2:21 AM

I celebrated Earth Day by installing a cat-less midpipe in my track car. Mmmm… The sweet, sweet smell of SO2 + NOx…

stvnscott on April 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Ira Einhorn, Earth Day

Ron Karenga, Kwanza

When Liberals want to make up a pretend holiday they make a commie psycho the details man.

Akzed on April 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM

coolrepublica on April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I love trees, too. In my dining room table and its chairs. On the walls of my house. In the walls of my house. In the fireplace in my house. In the firepit in my backyard. Tied together as a raft to fish from. In my living room with festive lead tinsel hanging from it….

I love forests, too. But trees are really handy things.

GWB on April 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

That murdered and “composted” girl friend was Holly Maddux from Tyler, Texas, just a few miles away from my home…just another reason I don’t “celebrate” Earth Day.

texmarc on April 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM

That one always gets me dying laughing!

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM