Jeb Bush announces: I’m officially thinking of running for president

posted at 6:01 pm on April 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

There’s no escaping this, is there?

Maybe our 2016 forecasting is all wrong. Maybe, instead of trying to figure out who the nominee will be, we should skip ahead to the part where Jeb is the nominee and a disgruntled Rand Paul is forced to decide whether it’s time to go third-party. Normally I’d call that a kamikaze mission destined to hand the White House to Hillary.

But if we end up nominating three different people from the same nuclear family in less than 25 years, maybe a kamikaze action is what’s called for.

The Republican told a crowd of about 200 people at a Catholic Charities fundraiser in New York that he is “thinking about running for president,” according to an attendee.

The response came to one of the first questions posed to Bush at the Union League luncheon. After his answer, the room went wild, and then someone said they hoped he would take the step…

Bush was praised by Kudlow for his focus on immigration reform and urged not to back down.

“Why would I back down from it? It’s the right thing to do…we’ve got to be an inclusive party,” Bush said, according to the attendee.

Doesn’t this guy officially oppose a path to citizenship for illegals? I can’t square that with the “act of love”/right thing to do rhetoric. If illegal immigration is a wonderful demonstration of family values and it’s incumbent upon the GOP to be “inclusive,” why should illegals be relegated to second-class status by being forever barred from citizenship? Or has that previous Jeb idea quietly been disappeared now that he’s maneuvering to be the centrist champion?

He said he’ll decide after the midterms. My sense after reading umpteen articles about his prospective candidacy is that party chieftains badly want him to do it and he’s perfectly willing to comply except that his wife is reluctant. If he ends up declining because of that, it’ll be the second election in a row where a major candidate with a serious chance at the nomination had to pass because he couldn’t get his spouse to pull the trigger.

Meanwhile, YouGov asked a bunch of people how excited they were for a Bush 3.0 candidacy. Result: Not very. Note the Republican and Hispanic numbers, particularly:

jbyg

He’s at 11 percent support among women, the same as he is among Democrats. Remember that the next time some big-name Republican tells you the party desperately needs to improve with that demographic.

Exit question via a Twitter pal: Why wouldn’t Paul go third-party in 2016 if he loses early to Jeb? Remember, Kentucky law bars him from running for president and Senate at the same time, so if he jumps into the presidential race, he’s done with the Senate. That means he won’t have to worry about GOP reprisals going forward for opposing Bush. Frankly, if he can’t beat this guy, he may decide that there’s no future for libertarianism in the Republican Party anyway and therefore nothing to lose by becoming an independent.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Welcome to the party – let the conversation begin.

Hey Scott Walker – please get that book out and get in… !!!!

jake-the-goose on April 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

don’t as in, do not

WryTrvllr on April 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Joe says Big f’ing deal and I say no f’ing way.

tim c on April 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

So I guess this means he`s the nominee right? :-/

Maybe we`ll learn to love 4-8 more years of statism in the WH.

ThePrez on April 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I would throw away my vote and go third party if Bush is nominated. And Rand Paul ain’t all that to me either.

DanMan on April 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Yay.

/Meh

Key West Reader on April 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

AP, how dare you betray us. There is not a single mention of how this effects Rubio. For shame.

nobar on April 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

You know what’s interesting? Is anyone here really a fan of Jeb running for President? Going to go all out to work for him?

(I’m not counting remarks about him being a good governor during hurricane season).

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Officially running for President of Uruguay, I hope.

Lanceman on April 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

HELL NO to pro-illegal alien amnesty Jeb Bush.

bluegill on April 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I could easily get behind a Walker/Perry ticket in whichever order.

budfox on April 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

No more Bushes!!!!!

Bring meeeeee, a shrubbery!

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I could easily get behind a Walker/Perry ticket in whichever order.

budfox on April 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

jake-the-goose on April 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

In the first ten comments I count two Floridians and one former Floridian (me). No supporters there.

(Did I miss anyone?)

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I’m officially thinking about skipping the top of the ballot if Jeb is the GOP candidate.

Bishop on April 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Read my lips, no new laxatives. ;-)

tommy71 on April 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

12 years isn’t enough?

Galtian on April 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM

No. Just no.

“I’m too busy for Bush!”

Irritable Pundit on April 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Bishop on April 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Fight to stop it – don’t concede

jake-the-goose on April 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

NOPE.

Jindal, Walker, Cruz, Carson and very iffy Rand

John the Libertarian on April 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Jeb Bush announces

Because everybody’s ready to vote for another Bush

Swear to G*d, the GOP is trying to lose

Shay on April 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Jindal, Walker, Cruz, Carson and very iffy Rand

John the Libertarian on April 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

We all need to pray for a robust field of candidates. We need that.

jake-the-goose on April 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Please no.

Charlemagne on April 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Jeb wants to be VP. Every ticket has one outsider and one old establishment hand. My guess is that Bush Machine will work to get Rubio the nomination and he will pick Bush as his running-mate.

Punchenko on April 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Is this entire country so lacking in decent people that we keep getting stuck with the same dam families over and over?

This isn’t jolly old England, or North Korea – we don’t do royalty – and we shouldn’t be doing family political dynasties either.

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

No thanks.

CW on April 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

One thought – maybe Jeb Bush is yet another cinder in the fire of the GOP belly.

We need a totally motivated base – if Jeb Bush pisses enough people off – maybe they will fight all the way through

Nobody quit -

jake-the-goose on April 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Jeb, think about what your Father said,

“Wouldn’t be Prudent”

ToddPA on April 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Two Three Four anchors around Jeb’s neck. (I had to keep changing the number).

1. Amnesty. Breaking the law is an act of love!

2. Common Core. Joined at the hip with Erne Duncan.

3. Last name. No dynasties. That he would even think about running for President indicates an inability to let his ego take a hit and be a good example.

4. BFF with the GOPe.

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

If Jeb Bush is the nominee, it will be the first time in my life that I do not vote for a Presidential candidate. Like most of you here, I’ve held my nose and voted for some horrible Republicans–chief among them, McLame–but I absolutely will not vote for Jeb Bush.

IrishEi on April 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I thought Mom said “No.”

CurtZHP on April 23, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Repeal the 22nd!

Jeb 4 life!11131243

Murphy9 on April 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

(Did I miss anyone?)

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Big HELL NO here.

Vero Beach Florida on April 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I wouldn’t be too quick to crown him king, I can’t imagine voters in the primaries getting too excited about Jeb.

whatcat on April 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I don’t think America is ready for another Bush.

We need more Obama and Clinton. I mean it’s totally winning and stuff.

/Hold my hair.

Key West Reader on April 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Good luck with that.

Please America, I’m convinced we can do better.

KMC1 on April 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Jindal, Walker, Cruz, Carson and very iffy Rand

John the Libertarian on April 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

There are only TWO,

P A L I N C R U Z

One of these TWO will run, with the other swinging
the Axe to wipe out the stiffs….

ToddPA on April 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I’m officially thinking of working against him.

vityas on April 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

whatcat on April 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

They weren’t too excited about Romney either.

In fact it became something of a joke about Anybody But Romney…and yet…Romney it was.

sharrukin on April 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Jeb until 2024, then Hillary for 8 years, then George P Bush until 2040, then Chelsea until 2048, and by then the new Clinton grandchild will be juuuust short of 35 years old, so that’ll have to wait until 2052. Maybe Malia or Sasha can run in 2048? Or a stray Kennedy or two?

Good Solid B-Plus on April 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

P A L I N C R U Z

One of these TWO will run, with the other swinging
the Axe to wipe out the stiffs….

ToddPA on April 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Two great Americans.

Palin – will not run.

Cruz – may run – won’t raise enough money – but the future is bright

IMO

jake-the-goose on April 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I’m officially thinking of working against him.

vityas on April 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Where do you sign up?

portlandon on April 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

If he gets the nomination, we can officially declare with total certainty that the Idiocracy is already here.

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I regard it as a real insult to the country that the GOPe can’t bother themselves to cultivate and train leaders of the country. Bush III represents just that, a weak, feckless party and its apparatchik who just wants the power…and too lazy to really work for it.

As I’ve said before, at least the Left puts a lot of work into buying votes and its graft machine…they care. The RINOs just feel entitled.

(p.s. that means I’m a No vote)

r keller on April 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

President of WHAT?

Pork-Chop on April 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I’ve always voted for the lesser of two evils, but if Jeb gets the mom, I will vote third party. It’s not just his views that disturb me. Picking Jeb would be a sign that the GOP is completely clueless and is on its way out.

DisneyFan on April 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on April 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

You are just sick sick sick…..

LOL – the ultimate pessimist – except the country would not survive that entire run in one piece.

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Vero Beach Florida on April 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Maybe I need to rephrase it. Is there a Floridian here who is a supporter of Bush running for President?

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Srsly?

meh…

blue13326 on April 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM

My thoughts on Jeb Bush as GOP nominee – NO! NO! NO! NO! I will never vote for him!

There is only one way my view will change. If Jeb were to spend the rest of 2014 working hard to elect Republican candidates all over the country, he would earn reconsideration. So far Jeb is just hanging out with big donors and the media, and doesn’t seem interested in helping any one but himself.

pilsener on April 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

And the next President of the United States is Hillary Clinton.

albill on April 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

They weren’t too excited about Romney either.

sharrukin on April 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

The difference being that he didn’t have to deal with “Bush fatigue”, that’s a mighty big obstacle. I just don’t know of anyone who is excited about Jeb. I know folks who are excited at the prospect of Cruz, Palin and Paul – but they are all out of Bush-love.

whatcat on April 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Really shows how out of touch the GOP is with the grassroots. Where would Jeb rank if you polled 1,000 self-identified conservative Republican likely voters for, heck, their top 5 nominees? Below Walker, Cruz, Palin, Rubio and Paul for sure. Likely below Jindal, Pence, Kasich, and even Christie. He’d be lucky to even make the Top 10.

Yet big donors will flock to him if he enters the primaries. It’s stunningly inept.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Joe Scarborough will be his VP?

oldroy on April 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I’m officially thinking that this could be the first election where I might not vote republican.

trigon on April 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

“Hey, big brother got to be President. It’s my turn. My turn, my turn, my turn.” *throws sippy cup on the floor*

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Also shows the disconnect between parties. If both parties were honest and principled, the Bush and Clinton dynasties should be equally loathsome.

But where Republicans will (hopefully) reject Jeb and his dynastic run, Dems will flock to vote for Hillary and 8 more years of Clinton.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

they are all out of Bush-love.

whatcat on April 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Well, from what I’ve seen in uh movies, Bushes are totally out of style……

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I can’t work against him because the GOP isn’t listening any longer, if they were then Boehner would be hanging out with Piers Morgan, waving a “Will Work For Food” sign under a bridge overpass somewhere.

The GOP wants “safe” so safe is what we will get, and safe means either losing to the demorat douchebag or getting handed some pandering RINO who will tell us how great the demorats ideas are.

Bishop on April 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Fallon announces: I’m officially thinking of leaving the Republican Party.

Fallon on April 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

nooooooooo
here comes amnesty

fwiw, how can the dnc complain about a bush when they have already crowned another Clinton as their nominee

double standard much?

cmsinaz on April 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Jeb Bush < Romney

Jeb Bush = Huckabee

Jeb Bush < Palin

Jeb Bush < Jindal

Jeb Bush < Rubio

Jeb Bush < McCain

portlandon on April 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

So it was Bush v. Clinton in 1992 when I was 9 years old. And now in 2016 it very well might be Bush v. Clinton again…and I’ll be 33.

Progress.

Copperwood on April 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Joe Scarborough will be his VP?

oldroy on April 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Considering the 2 main threads going right now – can we see a Bush/Paul (or Paul/Bush) ticket?

(ducking…)

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

There’s no escaping this, is there?

Embrace the madness, Allahpundit!

BigGator5 on April 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I’m officially using jeb bush’s picture as a dartboard, and I officially oppose this moronic, drooling, piece of progressive crap getting any public office, unless he’s elected to clean port-o-potties after the illegals leave the work sites.

Diluculo on April 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

INC
former floridian here

cmsinaz on April 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

God Forgive me!

Drop dead! You told us you will govern like LBJ. No, no 1 million times no.

Jeb, you won’t even win Florida.

I won’t stay home. I’ll vote for the Democrat.

Jayrae on April 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Progress.

Copperwood on April 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Who woulda thunk Groundhog Day was a pseudo-documentary – and we’re all stuck in it……

dentarthurdent on April 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Jeb Bush < McCain

portlandon on April 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

jeb bush < a bucket of runny turds.

Diluculo on April 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The miffs in the Country Club have chosen your nominee.

Now, get your smoking jacket and fluffy slippers on, order a hot toddie and wait for your chance to vote. Remember, it only costs $2600 or more, per individual to vote for your RINO. Line up!

Key West Reader on April 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Diluculo on April 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

You will vote for whom the Country Club tells you to vote. That includes the Democrats in the Country Club.

/Can’t go upsetting that Country Club Class.. No way, Jose’

Key West Reader on April 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Key West Reader on April 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Only if, for that $2600 we get to throw the ball dropping him into the dunk tank…..filled with boric acid.

Diluculo on April 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM

(Did I miss anyone?)

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I’m a Floridian. I absolutely refuse to vote for Jeb Bush. Final Answer!

Jayrae on April 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Fluke off Jeb.

jawkneemusic on April 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM

cmsinaz on April 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Jayrae on April 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM

*Waves*

Still at Zero.

INC on April 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on April 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

We have Joe Kennedy III in the House and Jack Kennedy Schlossberg — Caroline’s kid — also waiting in the wings.

Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!

Do I campaign for the House of Clinton, the House of Bush, or the House of Kennedy?

(p.s. that means I’m a No vote)

r keller on April 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

The Democrats reward their committed activists with plum jobs in government, academia, non-profits, etc.

Democrats get the special media treatment, rub elbows with celebrities, become saints, and can get away with everything — including the fabrication of imaginary ancestries.

We get nothing.

Even the GOP becomes more Democrat on the issues over time. What the GOP believes today will most certainly go out the window in another five years. And after five years, we will still be bitterly clinging to the old platform while the more progressive, er, “moderate”, GOP leaders scold us as backward.

John McCain made a cushy career for himself becoming more Democrat before anyone else and scolding all of those who weren’t as maverick-y as he.

Punchenko on April 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM

To all the Clintons, Bushs, Kennedys and all royalists, perfect summation.

Schadenfreude on April 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM

We need a fiscal conservative with some serious leadership qualities. This country is bankrupt. If we get to work on it right now, we might… might be able to turn it all around. That assumes we even make it to the next election cycle. If we aren’t going to make the attempt, I’d just as soon have a democrat in the oval orifice when it all goes boom.

trigon on April 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Which is basically an argument for supporting every single liberal platform under the sun, lol. And he probably does. Reparations for slavery? Gotta support it…we’ve got to be an inclusive party you know. Cap and trade? Yup, gotta be inclusive. Government run universal health care? Yup…inclusive..

xblade on April 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Swear to G*d, the GOP is trying to lose

Shay on April 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think you’ve put your finger on it. I look at how the GOP has ignored the loud and consistent negative feedback about the candidates they have pushed in the last few elections, and how badly their arrogance worked out for the citizenry … it’s impossible to believe they don’t know the almost certain result of a Jeb candidacy. So, as Sherlock Holmes would say, the “impossible” is the answer … they do want a progressive in office. All of the talk about elites versus the proles seems to be true.

fabrexe on April 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM

if Jeb gets the mom

DisneyFan on April 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

What does the dad have to say about this?

John the Libertarian on April 23, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Seems to me Jeb Bush being the nominee could have almost the same effect as Republicans passing some form of legalization for illegal aliens.
It will completely annihilate base enthusiasm and it could very well be the beginning of a party split.

The GOPe is clueless.

lynncgb on April 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Jeb, you won’t even win Florida.

I won’t stay home. I’ll vote for the Democrat.

Jayrae on April 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hmmm, has Lyndon LaRouche tossed his hat in the ring for 2016 yet?

hawkeye54 on April 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Is this entire country so lacking in decent people

No, the country is lacking in decency.

vlad martel on April 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I’m looking forward to Reince Priebus’ compelling reasons for why we need to rally around Jeb Bush.

Punchenko on April 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Shouldn’t we NOT run the guy that the Proglodytes, Demorlocks and scribes want us to run? Shouldn’t we run the guy they’re so afraid of, they’re incessantly attacking his character over an already-daily traffic jam two years before the next presidential election?

RockinRickOwen on April 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

presidential race, he’s done with the Senate.

Well, what was this then? Did it fail?

And yes, Bush will run and he will be the Republican nominee.

Red Widow on April 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

A Jebbie-Rove ticket in 2016.

vilebody on April 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

She’s already seen presidential politics up close. She may not want to face the onslaught of the media on their family life. Which will happen. In spades. She was caught smuggling thousands of dollars of Parisian clothes into the country. Their daughter had huge drug problems a while back when Jeb was governor. Dad didn’t show up in court, I think supposedly because he didn’t want to “influence” the judge. While that’s over and done and probably only vaguely remembered in Florida at the moment, it’s not like the media is ever going to not pull out stops defeating a Bush.

INC on April 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Punchenko on April 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Rinsed Prius is the Chief of RNC Hispandering.

That’ll be his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most “compelling” reasons for Jeb.

Bitter Clinger on April 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

I’ve dutifully carried my barf bag and voted for every last RINO they’ve served up since 1996, but that’s it.

No more Bushes. Period. Sorry!

Kensington on April 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Jeb, you won’t even win Florida.

I won’t stay home. I’ll vote for the Democrat.

Jayrae on April 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Clintpublicans?

Punchenko on April 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Jeb Bush announces: I’m officially thinking of running for president

And I’m officially announcing that I’ll be thinking about who I’ll write-in for my presidential vote in Nov 2016.

RJL on April 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Hmmm, has Lyndon LaRouche tossed his hat in the ring for 2016 yet?

hawkeye54 on April 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

You don’t find it insulting that the corrupt Bush Mafia thinks they own this party?

I could not stand Bush 41 and I am still pissed to high heaven at 43 for bailing out the banks.

Jeb was my governor. I am 100% fed up with anything Bush.

I swear on everything that is holy in me if Jeb is the nominee I’m voting Democrat.

Jayrae on April 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

There’s no escaping this, is there?

Wait until the caucuses. Bush will run out of steam fast, if he even has much going in.

rickv404 on April 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Rancid Priapus will praise a Jebbie Bush campaign as an inclusive movement to attract illegals and Muslims to the RINO ranks. Dana Perino and the rest of the Fox shills for the Bushes will be ecstatic.

wraithby on April 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM

This is why Boehner and other establishment cronies will make sure that immigration deform happens this year: if its a done deal, it will no longer be an issue in the primaries and thus no longer a hinderance for Bush.

Red Widow on April 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM