Jeb Bush announces: I’m officially thinking of running for president

posted at 6:01 pm on April 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

There’s no escaping this, is there?

Maybe our 2016 forecasting is all wrong. Maybe, instead of trying to figure out who the nominee will be, we should skip ahead to the part where Jeb is the nominee and a disgruntled Rand Paul is forced to decide whether it’s time to go third-party. Normally I’d call that a kamikaze mission destined to hand the White House to Hillary.

But if we end up nominating three different people from the same nuclear family in less than 25 years, maybe a kamikaze action is what’s called for.

The Republican told a crowd of about 200 people at a Catholic Charities fundraiser in New York that he is “thinking about running for president,” according to an attendee.

The response came to one of the first questions posed to Bush at the Union League luncheon. After his answer, the room went wild, and then someone said they hoped he would take the step…

Bush was praised by Kudlow for his focus on immigration reform and urged not to back down.

“Why would I back down from it? It’s the right thing to do…we’ve got to be an inclusive party,” Bush said, according to the attendee.

Doesn’t this guy officially oppose a path to citizenship for illegals? I can’t square that with the “act of love”/right thing to do rhetoric. If illegal immigration is a wonderful demonstration of family values and it’s incumbent upon the GOP to be “inclusive,” why should illegals be relegated to second-class status by being forever barred from citizenship? Or has that previous Jeb idea quietly been disappeared now that he’s maneuvering to be the centrist champion?

He said he’ll decide after the midterms. My sense after reading umpteen articles about his prospective candidacy is that party chieftains badly want him to do it and he’s perfectly willing to comply except that his wife is reluctant. If he ends up declining because of that, it’ll be the second election in a row where a major candidate with a serious chance at the nomination had to pass because he couldn’t get his spouse to pull the trigger.

Meanwhile, YouGov asked a bunch of people how excited they were for a Bush 3.0 candidacy. Result: Not very. Note the Republican and Hispanic numbers, particularly:

jbyg

He’s at 11 percent support among women, the same as he is among Democrats. Remember that the next time some big-name Republican tells you the party desperately needs to improve with that demographic.

Exit question via a Twitter pal: Why wouldn’t Paul go third-party in 2016 if he loses early to Jeb? Remember, Kentucky law bars him from running for president and Senate at the same time, so if he jumps into the presidential race, he’s done with the Senate. That means he won’t have to worry about GOP reprisals going forward for opposing Bush. Frankly, if he can’t beat this guy, he may decide that there’s no future for libertarianism in the Republican Party anyway and therefore nothing to lose by becoming an independent.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Meow, did you miss me?

Bmore on April 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I did not know he COULD think???

gwhh on April 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I’m officially sitting at home if he’s the nominee. I see little difference between him and Hillary. In fact, I can’t think of any difference.

theCork on April 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM

No more bushes,you would kill the party—for good????? Please go back to some ranch……

woody66 on April 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Why don’t we just set up a rotating presidency between the Bush, Clinton and Obama families?

Change we can believe in! /s

xNavigator on April 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM

No more bushes,you would kill the party—for good?????

woody66 on April 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Mebee that’s acceptable, if it took TEA party members with it.

/SNARK

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Change we can believe in! /s

xNavigator on April 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM

YES WE CAN! FOWARD!!

///////////

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I lived through only a few months of Reagan’s presidency. If Hillary or Jeb wins the presidency and then a second term, then I will have lived over 3/4 of my life with presidents from just two families. Ridiculous.

Bison70 on April 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Ted Cruz basically handed control to the establishment last fall. The nominee will be another moderate.

Seamus on April 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I like Jeb Bush. But, I”m sure he understands the media destroyed his name and he would lose by a landslide unlike the infamous ‘Clinton’ name. Does he want to lose that badly?

I don’t understand why the GOP can’t get behind one candidate, and a ‘white man’ will lose period. Obama changed politics for a very very long time.

Redford on April 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

He’s a no go. Voting libertarian or writing in Mickey Mouse.

Meremortal on April 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Jeb Bush looks like a great idea to have Hillary win the presidency.

JZITA on April 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Oh-oh I thought he unofficially removed himself from the race with his dopey lawbreaking immigrants only meant to make love to us crack?

Northpaw on April 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

No thanks on another Bush.

8Atlas2 on April 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Jeb Bush looks like a great idea to have Hillary win the presidency.

JZITA on April 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Meh, he’s just the foil to give some semblance of legitimacy to the election.

/SNARK

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

At least, with his Amnesty stance, Jeb has locked in his own family’s votes. But he has lost my vote!!

MaiDee on April 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM

He had better listen to his mommy.

Valiant on April 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM

In the words of Nancy Reagan: “Just say no!”

If not already afflicted, power is a drug people get addicted to when they are in ‘office’ too long.

TerryW on April 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Don’t want anothr Bush in Washington.

old war horse on April 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I feel ill.

bour3 on April 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I am officially announcing that I am thinking about voting for someone else. Thank you.

texmarc on April 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM

As he explains, acting like LBJ is partly about love too.

David Blue on April 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Jeb Bush is nothing but a member of the R.i.n.o. Washington Elite (via his family). The only reason he is announcing this crap is because it takes the spotlight off of, and air out of the room of other more constitutionally minded Possible candidates. I pray he debates someone like Sarah Palin or Bobby Jindal just for fun so we can see the stark contrasts between Conservatism and the Liberal/ Rino GOP. It would be fun just to see him get his rear-end handed to him.

AtomicGraySaint on April 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Jeb, if you’re thinking about running for president, do us all a solid – sit down and wait for the feeling to pass.

NewyoricanInTheSouth on April 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I think not, I think we had enough of the Bush Nazi regime, I think it’s time we vote them all out of America and send them all to their Communist Nazi regime nation they bought in Argentina. We are done with the cults taking down America, it needs to end now.

Patriot Son on April 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I find it pathetic that we can’t find someone other than another Bush or Clinton to run this country. Jeb is a Bush and Hillary is an incompetent, duplicitous liar. In a country of over 300 million people, we have to go to these two for leadership?

Obamalies on April 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Hi everybody, this is my first post.
I’m Italian and I came to this great country to become an American citizen following the legal path (staying hours and hours in line at the Immigration office, asking for permission to go back to Italy to visit my family, paying a good amount of fees and so on). I made it. When I hear Republicans like Jeb Bush talking about giving a free pass to the illegals I feel backstabbed by the party to which I am registered from the very first day I became American citizen. I have hold my nose and voted for Mc Cain and Romney but if the candidate is going to be Bush I won’t vote for him.

Norace on April 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Hillary is an incompetent, duplicitous liar.

Sad thing is, half the voters can probably relate to her.

hawkeye54 on April 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM

The owners of the GOP are changing the rules to disenfranchise everyone from states that have caucuses, stating that the vote there must agree with states that have primaries. They will reject outright votes that don’t agree with their predetermined candidate and refuse to seat any electors at their whim, as the Santorum and Paul people found in 2012.

The GOP Establishment has basically seized the power to select a their candidates and has almost destroyed the value of voting in primaries because they are obsessed with controlling the outcome of elections. How much more is it going to take for people to admit the GOP is corrupt and fraudulent?

What’s it going to take for people to get disgusted enough with the Republican Party to do something about it?

After 2012 and Romney’s huge loss, despite turning around the independent vote, how many people still have any faith in the system at all? Do you trust these people who want to “govern” you, who want to “lead” you and call themselves your “leaders”?

Is that what a republic is about, a political class that “governs” the peasants and serfs? What is it going to take to wake the rest of the people up in this country to the fact that we have an hereditary aristocracy brewing, and are descending into the same sorts of corruption and decline as many other countries?

And so what if we are all aware; how do we effect change peacefully, since our elections are rigged and we have absolutely no influence in our own government? Added to this is the enormous inertia of a parasitical bureaucracy that enforces the will of the elitists, creating regulations to benefit the connected and steal from the productive. How will this ever be dismantled?

Until we can imagine ways to accomplish the goals of dismantling this structure, it’s not going to happen. People are still waking up and we aren’t all in agreement as to what the problem is, much less what to do about it. If this process doesn’t occur fast enough, the crises of confidence in the country will produce a level of disgust with the whole concept of the(se) United States that people will just cease participating and go their own way.

That’s what happened to Rome, and that’s what will happen whenever government becomes a bunch of thugs that steal for themselves rather than something that steals to build roads. Government is only ever a necessary evil, but evil nonetheless and people will do what they can to escape from it. It is the culture that is important, and that is what survives.

The collapse of the old system is coming right on schedule and the process of rebuilding will be that much more painful, if those who demand power over us are not put in check. America has a chance to avoid this fate because it is unique in the developmental history of man. It exists as a creature born at a pinnacle of plenty, and created by individual freedom.

Most people have forgotten that individual freedom is the only difference between this country and any other, and we have lost most of our overt expressions of the individual at this point thanks to cultural Marxism and the ruthless suppression of the individual we have all endured over the years. But despite a hundred years of indoctrination, individualism survives at the deepest levels of our psyche and cannot be eradicated.

It is going to be our one saving grace.

Another Libertarian on April 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Jeb Bush will be to the media a lamb amongst wolves. How can he possibly think he can distance himself from the tire fire that was the W administration?

If Jeb gets the nod, it’s game over. This young conservative won’t defend or support another RINO.

TarasBulbous on April 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM

The GOP always thinks that they can run a RINO against a weak Democrat and they’re always wrong. Democrats will vote for any Democrat…Conservatives will not vote for RINOs. Bush turned out to be a RINO, but he entered as the governor of Texas and ran a conservative campaign. You would think, that after the last two elections, they might get it.

cajunpatriot on April 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

No way Jeb Bush,he’s for amnesty and common core.

oldandtired on April 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM

…The owners of the GOP are changing the rules to disenfranchise everyone from states that have caucuses, stating that the vote there must agree with states that have primaries. They will reject outright votes that don’t agree with their predetermined candidate and refuse to seat any electors at their whim, as the Santorum and Paul people found in 2012…
Another Libertarian on April 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Add Rick Perry to that God forsaken mess.

avagreen on April 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM

We’re gonna need more corpsemen if Bush or Killery run

datrashman on April 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Could be, but I also seem to remember Barbara Bush saying one time that we’ve had enough Bushes in the White House. Ds would love to play that sound bite over and over again.

As for Rand going third party….. if that was to happen I think a lot of people would be joining him.

cat_owner on April 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM

After years of reading this site…i’m finally able to post.

Can’t believe anyone thinks this country will elect another Bush.

Cruz is the best candidate…

payday on April 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Bush V Clinton

Party likes it’s 1992

RightisMight on April 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Northpaw on April 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

That’s only what he want’s us to think. Classic politician’s switcheroo to keep us off balance.

ncinca on April 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM

We need another Bush like we need another hole in the head. Better yet, make that two holes in the head.

Bob Davis on April 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Dear Jeb,
one word: don’t!
I will not vote for anyone with your stance on illegal amnesty.

katablog.com on April 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Jack Kennedy was the only Ivy Leaguer to serve as President between 1945 and 1988. Since 1988, Bob Dole and John McCain (both of whom suck) are the only major party presidential candidates since 1984 who have not attended Ivy League schools.

All 9 Supreme Court Justices are Ivy League grads: 6 Harvard and 3 Yale.

Can you say oligarchy?

bw222 on April 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I was a Republican from 1980 until last January. I was an active member of my county Republican Executive Committee including one term as a committee man. I have contributed, canvassed, worked the phone, and volunteered hundreds of hours for dozens of candidates from city commissioners to president. But now I’m done with the Republicans. And Republicans like Jeb Bush are one reason why.

LuscombeFlyer on April 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Republicrats have ruined the country and they can keep it now.

I took early retirement, cut my income by 75% and I’m hiding in the sticks for now.

Eventually I may have to look for another country. Unless there is a major revolt, which I don’t see on the horizon.

Oh well.

Meremortal on April 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Why wouldn’t Paul go third-party in 2016 if he loses early to Jeb?

Because the plain fact is that he doesn’t have the charisma or following to be much more than a Bob Barr in that scenario.

ddrintn on April 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Stay the F*** in Florida.

RdLake on April 24, 2014 at 11:54 PM

No more Bushes or Clintons! I personally love GW as a man but the media and 9/11 killed everything that could have been good. GW is a decent guy. But we need new blood and it amazes me that we can’t find some good Rep candidates to run, not the same old retreads. Stop with the round tables, caucases, town halls, kitchen table votes and the rest of it. Get behind one good man but then some people would have to stop fighting other people and work together. Not all the blame for losing falls on the so-called RINOS. The Republican Party destroys itself from within and only its members can change that. PS JEB (John Elliot Bush) is a boob!! Looks like a younger version of Mitch McConnell.

AReadyRepub on April 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM

ddrintn on April 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM

And he’s not stupid.

Or, really, a rebel.

You’ll know it’s a real, Reagan-style rebel when someone does what Reagan did and starts bringing into the party large bodies of people that are not even on pleasant terms with the establishment. When the establishment says “no” and the leader keeps bringing his people in, in numbers too big to ignore, that’s when the second Reagan revolution will be on.

Rand Paul has basically accepted that the establishment rules.

David Blue on April 26, 2014 at 6:22 AM