Video: GOP candidate mocks mansplaining Democrat

posted at 12:41 pm on April 22, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

I’m actually not a fan of the term “mansplaining,” but it works here in a sort of hoist with his own petard sense. One Republican candidate has grown tired of the tiresome war on women demagoguery from Democrats, especially the one in which the former Michigan secretary of state is competing — the US Senate seat vacated by Carl Levin’s retirement. In this case, the irony is especially striking, since the Democrat is a male, while the Republican is Terri Lynn Land. Her new ad, “Really?”, mocks Rep. Gary Peters — mainly by silence:

Matt Lewis notes that the ad comes out just as the SEIU decided to use a war on women attack by claiming that Land’s opposition to ObamaCare means women will fall prey to the Koch Brothers, or something:

George Will predicted this a couple of weeks ago, and predicted Land would triumph on the sheer mansplaining contradiction:

In some recent polls she has a small lead in what may remain a close race. She has less to fear than Republicans used to have from Detroit’s Democratic vote. The city’s population has plunged from 1.8 million to 700,000, and today’s Democratic mayor wields a much diminished political machine while an emergency manager is in place. Only 3 percent of Michiganders live in the Upper Peninsula, but in a close race they could provide the margin of victory for Land. The UP’s conservatism can be distilled in six words: “I’m up here. Don’t bother me.”

Land represents Republicans’ most effective response to Democrats’ ­hyperventilating about the “war on women” — female candidates. It will be amusing to see such rhetoric tried in Iowa, where Joni Ernst, a lieutenant colonel in the Iowa Army National Guard who served in Iraq, is seeking the Republican Senate nomination. She says in an ad: “I grew up castrating hogs on an Iowa farm. So when I get to Washington, I’ll know how to cut pork.” She rides a Harley and in a recent Des Moines Register column she said, “Those who know me well know that I carry a black purse everywhere I go. What many people don’t know is what’s inside: a Smith and Wesson 9 mm and my concealed carry permit.”

Many Democrats seem to prefer the sensibility of Fluke, a professional victim and virtuoso whiner. Michigan’s electorate, which has produced today’s Republican governor andlegislature, may be ready, by electing a Republican senator for the third time in 42 years, to show what they think of “war on women” hysterics as a substitute for thought.

We can only hope.

Comments

Michigan’s electorate, which has produced today’s Republican governor andlegislature, may be ready, by electing a Republican senator for the third time in 42 years, to show what they think of “war on women” hysterics as a substitute for thought.

God willing, Terri can counteract Michigan’s other female Senator who has made a career out of fighting Canadian trash and Asian carp.

Happy Nomad on April 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM

mansplaining?
What the bleep is that?

rbj on April 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Alinsky them without mercy.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 12:50 PM

She has obviously been oppressed by the dominant conservative males in her life to the point that she just doesn’t see that she is oppressed. This is something that liberals do not suffer from, since they have no concept of oppressing anyone in their ideological thinking.

Walter L. Newton on April 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM

After the ousting of scumhag Landrieu and scumbag Pryor, the Terri Lynn Land replacement of disgusting Levin would be the sweetest in Nov. of 2014.

Schadenfreude on April 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM

It”s like all the white pundits at MSNBC spotting racists behind every tree.

John the Libertarian on April 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I like this woman….hope she wins.

ToddPA on April 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM

…may be ready, by electing a Republican senator for the third time in 42 years, to show what they think of “war on women” hysterics as a substitute for thought.

While I agree this is a good commercial by Land, it’s not really a thought provoking commercial. It’s fighting hysterics with: look at me, I’m a woman! In a perfect world she could make the case on issues, competence and integrity.

Fenris on April 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

This war on women is an insult to all liberated women.

Plus, the Ds are the real racists of the land
, the ones who keep the minorities in modern day plantations, subjugated, ignorant, without work, just for votes.

Schadenfreude on April 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Excellent.

M240H on April 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Holy crap, I had no idea.

And, Ed, what the dickens is this “mansplaining” all about? You talk as if it’s a known word. I’m serious, I can’t even grasp its meaning from the context.

Lolo on April 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Mansplaining.

Basically it is a man making a fool of himself trying to explain something to a woman because he assumes she wouldn’t have any idea otherwise….because she is a woman.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM

We can only hope.

In a liberal state like Michigan it will be a miracle indeed if a Republican win the Senate seat… Winning the entire state but losing the sh*thole of Detroit by 90% margin will lead to assured defeat… That has been the Republican problem with Michigan and many other states where they win most of the state but lose the big cities with huge margins, big cities where welfare queens and kings are very dominant…

mnjg on April 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Never heard this term before, mansplaining…

OmahaConservative on April 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Fenris on April 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

It’s a 30-second commercial. In April. Lighten up!

Besides, between her time as Kent County Clerk and Secretary of State, I don’t thing her integrity and competence are in question. But, if Peters is going to come out after her for hurting women and children, mockery is just the right way to deal with the accusation.

Happy Nomad on April 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Very interesting regarding Detroit…

mnjg on April 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

So if you patiently illustrate to your girlfriend intentional grounding is that “babesplaining?”

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM

BTW- it’s more than just Detroit. The local Democratic Committees and the labor unions used to be virtually the same thing. They were able to wield a lot more influence too. Not so much with Michigan becoming right-to-work and the demise of the Big Three.

Happy Nomad on April 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Waitaminute, waitaminute, I thought the MEN of the GOP we’re supposed to have the testosterone.

Cleombrotus on April 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I’d call it a fool’s errand.

Happy Nomad on April 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It’s a 30-second commercial. In April. Lighten up!

Happy Nomad on April 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I said the commercial was good. But I was also responding to the notion that this was somehow an antidote for substituting hysterics for thought. It’s not. I’m not blaming her; I blame the lefties and their scummy tactics.

Fenris on April 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Mansplaining.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Thanks. Now, what’s an “urban” dictionary?

/kidding

Lolo on April 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM

You’d have to explain it to the officials first. Especially if Brady threw it. That would make it “refsplaining”.

trubble on April 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Oh. All Men Are Idiots.
I get it.

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Mansplaining.
Another new one for me.
I’ll add this to canoodle, which was another good one from last week.

Example sentence:

1. “She was so put off by his habit of mansplaining, that canoodling with him was not even a remote consideration.”

South Philadelphia example sentences:

1. “Yeah, I got your mansplaining – right here.”
2. “Yeah, canoodle this.”

justltl on April 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Thanks. Now, what’s an “urban” dictionary?

/kidding

Lolo on April 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Sadly, not an urbane dictionary.

Horatia on April 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Mansplaining.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Thanks.

rbj on April 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Only if we believe that your girlfriend is a babe.

Fenris on April 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Thanks. Now, what’s an “urban” dictionary?

/kidding

Lolo on April 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Heh. Whenever I try to google a word that doesn’t seem to make sense, it is the top result.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I like the candidate but the ad has a little whiff of “I am not a witch” in it. I want D’s on their heels, and I don’t think that giving their agenda credit by acknowledging it is the best way of achieving that.

Rix on April 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I have to disagree with her about knowing more about women than her Dem opponant.
Most Dem men appear to be lacking true male parts – so they probably know very well what it’s like to live like a woman…..

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM

OT – wake up America

Schadenfreude on April 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Oh. All Men Are Idiots.
I get it.

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM

It was started by feminists, but so long ago that the stereotype has been refined to the point where it is mostly accurate. It was basically the entire plot-line of “Anchorman”.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM

As a woman, I’m not a big fan of “off-body” carry.

Hat Trick on April 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Great ad and she appears to be a great candidate who can win. This probably means self-styled “true conservatives” will be calling her a RINO.

thuja on April 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

As a woman, I’m not a big fan of “off-body” carry.

Hat Trick on April 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

True – there are risks to that.
A purse snatcher will get your gun and your money and credit cards.

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Fenris on April 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

She ridiculing the asinine idiocy of her opponent. If this were her one and only campaign ad, I might agree that she needs content but this was just a way to point out her opponent is a freaking moron without actually coming out and saying the words.

Wendya on April 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM

As a woman, I’m not a big fan of “off-body” carry.

Hat Trick on April 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Please allow me to “mansplain”…..You could always swing your purse at your attacker and hope that the handgun bound inside whacks him hard enough to dissuade him from his current course of action. If that fails, just kick off your heels, hike up the skirt and RUN. It is clearly the most logical option.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM

And the insanity continues unabated:

Amanda Marcotte ‏@AmandaMarcotte 56m
Particularly alarming are the men who insist that it’s impossible to get married without wearing someone down.

???

Rovin on April 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Walter L. Newton on April 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM

They’re just blind to it, aren’t they. Political correctness is never a burden, always uplifting! It’s like the North Koreans cheering on their Dear Leader, even while they’re hungry and lack freedom.

LashRambo on April 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Fenris on April 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

She’s mocking him in a 30 second TV spot…it’s not supposed to be deep, intellectually stimulating stuff. I think it works in exposing how absurd the whole war on women nonsense is…we’re to believe she is against women? That’s ridiculous, and she points that out smartly.

changer1701 on April 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM

No no no no – wymynzes shouldn’t even have guns. They’re supposed to draw a chalk circle around themselves and declare it a safe zone, then pee and vomit on themselves.

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM

The thing I hate most about Terri Lynn Land is that she is in high-resolution B&W.

jbspry on April 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Things need to get that bad for blue states to look at republicans for fiscal solutions.

That just shows you how far the country still has to go before things bottom out.

KMC1 on April 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Why does Terri need three names?

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Very interesting regarding Detroit…

mnjg on April 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Detroit last GOP Mayor 1961 and population falls from 1.8 million to .7 million. Buffalo, NY fell from 538,000 to 260,000. Last GOP Mayor 1954. I see a trend. OTOH New York City has grown under 20 years of GOP/GOP-Independent Mayors. Let’s see how the population changes under the new De Blasio regime. Any guesses?

KW64 on April 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Population of New York City in 1990 -7,322,564

Population of New York City in 2012 – 8,337,000

Up almost 14%.

Where would Detroit be if they had a Rudy Giuliani instead of a Coleman Young?

KW64 on April 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Why does Terri need three names?

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Either she was in trouble constantly as a child (“Terri Lynn Land!! You come here RIGHT NOW!!”)

or she’s a serial killer. Only two possible explanations.

Pless1foEngrish on April 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM

lol. that was funny! it literally made me laugh a bit. i love how it makes fun of the liberals’ ridiculous “war on women” meme that is used even when talking about conservative women! apparently we’ve internalized our oppression by the evil male patriarchs. or something.

Why does Terri need three names?

Galtian on April 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

who cares? she can name herself whatever she wants.

Sachiko on April 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I don’t think Will is that well versed on the UP. It may be starting to lean purple more often, but don’t count the legacy of the very blue unions (mining)out of the game just yet. A number of the counties went red after they got “Stupaked”, but I’d be cautiously optimistic regarding them staying that way.

Yoop on April 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM

terry lynn land is gonna win and here’s why below. detroit is defunct with too few d’s anymore to carry the state. no big blue city on the west side of the state to pick up the slack.
most importantly she’s a very good candidate from the most important city in MI, Grand Rapids

gracie on April 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Sometimes there is nothing you can say to make it more absurd, but still funny.

Is there an “ArthurDent” on HotAir? I only assume it because of the way you spelled your handle. Also assumed is that you are a fan of Scott Adams.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Simple, to the point. I like it.

gator70 on April 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM

ManSplaining, from the other point of view.

Only This is better.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Sometimes there is nothing you can say to make it more absurd, but still funny.

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I have to admit I didn’t make up all those suggestions myself – they all came from actual Dem legislators in Colorado during the hearings on our wonderful new gun control laws.
You know the old “you can’t make this shiite up”…

And yes – Hitchhiker’s Guide fan – no ArthurDent that I know of.
I spell it as it is in the book – because that’s how the other characters interpret it, and refer to him, because of how he introduces himself – 007 style.

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Holy crap, I had no idea.

Lolo on April 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Not just Detroit….Flint & Saginaw look the same. All three look like war zones. I grew up in Flint. Was a LEO in a Metro Detroit area. The unions have done a number on lower half of the lower peninsula. The only good in Detroit is, Comerica Park, Ford Field & The Joe (where I’ll be tonight!).

Get to far away from those areas….my suggestion is to be well armed.

Conservative4Ever on April 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM

ManSplaining, from the other point of view.
Only This is better.
Mord on April 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Bloody Brilliant video Mord. Two thumbs up!!

Nana on April 22, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Oh dear, the link didn’t copy. Check Mord’s post about 6 above. The video is really funny! I’d copy the link properly if I could. :-(

Nana on April 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Nana on April 22, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Want to – but I gotta wait til I get home to see it.

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 5:08 PM

dentarthurdent on April 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

HA! I forgot that part. I also forget the question to the ultimate answer in the universe.

Nana on April 22, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Thank you!

Mord on April 22, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Mansplaining, simply put, is using logic when speaking and thereby making a woman feel bad.

Nomennovum on April 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Schadenfreude on April 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM

…I’ll be working for her campaign.

KOOLAID2 on April 22, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I always assumed that dentarthurdent created that handle because that’s how Arthur introduces himself more than once. Almost like “Bond. James Bond”. For that exact reason.

And it’s Douglas Adams.

Freelancer on April 22, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Actually, I know Terri Lynn Land. Weak? No. Brains? Yes. Savvy? Yes. Organized? Yes.Political? Yes. A winner? Definitely.

And I like this ad – it says, “Give me a break – I happen to be a woman and you, Mr. Dem candidate, have nothing to say about women unless you’re holding them down.”

“Keeping women ‘in their place’ is the underlying goal of the Democrats.” As long as women depend on the government, they won’t be able to challenge the weak-kneed males of the Democrat party.

MN J on April 23, 2014 at 1:44 AM

A great commercial because brief and to the point which is what we women appreciate and understand. We don’t need nor wish to hear rhetoric from men who go on and on without an ending and nothing of value from first word to the last. Hot air is all you get. She is terse and to the point and I agree 100% with her. We women are tired of men telling us who and what we are, and not who and what we really are. We are not airheads but know a lot of men who are. We are able to multi-task and complete our jobs and/or assignments. Most men can’t do that between drinking coffee, alcohol or eliminating.

Roselle on April 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM