Video: Best campaign ad of the cycle?

posted at 2:41 pm on April 21, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

When incumbent Democrat Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR) attacked his midterm opponent Rep. Tom Cotton (R-AR) last month over his supposed sense of “entitlement” from his military service, it prompted widespread scorn and mockery — not least of which included pointed reminders that Pryor owes his own political career to his dad. The NRSC hammered Pryor and its DSCC counterparts for their “unacceptable” attacks on military service, but Cotton himself has opted for a lighter touch. He called his drill instructor to demonstrate just what military service taught Cotton, and “entitlement” doesn’t make the list:

“Sen. Pryor says my military service gives me, quote, ‘a sense of entitlement.’ So I brought in an expert,” Cotton says before his former basic training drill sergeant enters.

“Drill Sergeant Norton taught me to be a soldier: Accountability, humility, and putting the unit before yourself. That training stuck,” Cotton says after Norton gives him permission stand “at ease” in the humorous spot.

The light-hearted ad seeks to soften Cotton personally, tout his military record and knock Pryor for comments earlier this spring that Cotton has “a sense of entitlement that he gives off.”

“It’s almost just like ‘I served my country, therefore let me into the Senate.’ That’s not how it works in Arkansas,’ ” Pryor said in an interview to MSNBC last month.

Works better than my dad was Governor, most likely. While Cotton’s ad doesn’t directly address the complete hubris and hypocrisy of Pryor’s statement, it skewers him perfectly nonetheless. Furthermore, it uses the kind of self-deprecating humor that people love from public officials, which provides a very welcome contrast to Pryor’s pomposity. In its own gentle way, “At Ease” might end up being the campaign ad of the year — and I’ll bet that Arkansans see it a lot over the next few months.

Update: Matt Lewis calls this a “home run,” and offers three reasons why it works:

1). It obviously reinforces the key part of Cotton’s bio — his military service.

2). It serves to remind everyone of Sen. Mark Pryor’s most costly gaffe (his comments about Cotton’s military service giving him “a sense of entitlement.”)

3). Both these things are accomplished in a humorous manner. And as I’ve noted before, the knock on Cotton has always been that he’s too stiff and serious — that you’d rather have a beer with Pryor. This humorous ad (coupled with the music) shows Cotton’s personality, and undermines the notion that he’s aloof.

Update: The Washington Post’s Sean Sullivan notes that Cotton wants to use a softer approach, but oddly never includes in his analysis the Pryor attack that this ad specifically rebuts — that Cotton acts entitled to the Senate seat. It’s not that his other points are wrong, but it ignores the central point of the ad. It’s as if one looked at the 1984 Macintosh ad and discussed the innovation of WYSIWYG and the mouse.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Love it! Grand slam!

Rixon on April 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM

The sergeant does remind me of Dave Chappelle a bit, no?

Rixon on April 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Dear Senator Pryor, You know what bothers me? You do! How about we chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land and maybe find you some self respect? Jackwagon…

Roy Rogers on April 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I’d rather buy a beer for Cotton’s drill sergeant….

Scumby on April 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

They’ll be calling it ……
Tom Cotton and Uncle Tom
by the end of the day .

Lucano on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

COTTON: Permission to speak?

I’m sorry, I don’t think I heard you right, son! I believe you meant “Permission to speak, sir?”

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Come on Arkansas. This is easy.

22044 on April 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Nope, Sergeants work for a living.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

…..In Arkansas, you are supposed to be a draft dodger, then we make you a governor :)

burrata on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

blink on April 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Based on Cotton’s response maybe it was spontaneous.

NotCoach on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

And I might add, nothing wrong with bringing in a “man of color” whom is his mentor…this will drive the libs nuts.

right2bright on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Roy Rogers on April 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM

And that’s why the color yellow makes me sad.

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Nope, Sergeants work for a living.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Beat me to it.
The standard line for all NCOs, expecially drill sergeants is “Don’t call me sir, mister. I work for a living”.

Have you ever been in the military Stoic?

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Sir isn’t used for non-coms.

NotCoach on April 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Another “plus” the ad has going for it (and it’s sad that this is so) is that he is a Republican…taking orders from an African-American. Where’s your racist meme going to go with that, DNC?

jbspry on April 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM

It is the best I’ve seen. Funny, endearing and to the point.

rrpjr on April 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Don’t call me Sir, Soldier; I work for a living just like you do!

Yes, Sergeant.

Another Drew on April 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Beat me to it.

Have you ever been in the military Stoic?

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Sorry about that. I got the Army and Marines mixed up. =)

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

The line that made this one a winner for me was the last one: “You on thin ice, Cotton.”

For some reason, this one made me feel extremely warm and positive towards both Cotton and towards Sgt. Norton. Good ad!

DrUrchin on April 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

COTTON: Permission to speak?

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Nope, Sergeants work for a living.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

. . . : )

listens2glenn on April 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I’m not sure this is true in all the branches. So, your question might not apply to the entire military.

blink on April 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Which service do you think is different?
I’ve been involved with Joint military organizations for the last 30 years, and I’ve never known an NCO from any service who wanted to be called Sir.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM

The Rosendale ad is pretty good too:

claudius on April 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

That really was a curb-stomp. It wasn’t even subtle, the boot at the end made it clear what he meant.

Just watch, there was a curb-stomp in a movie back in the 90′s. The actor kinda-sorta looks like Cotton. Run with it!!1!

Mord on April 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I have to say though – in the cover photo, Cotton looks a bit like Forrest Gump….

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Sir isn’t used for non-coms.

We don’t call them non-coms, either. NCOs is the term I remember.

Dirty Creature on April 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Don’t call me Sir, Soldier; I work for a living just like you do!

This line is mostly used within ear-shot of Junior Officers (O-1 though O-3).

Another Drew on April 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

blink on April 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Well, the Air force is kind of different. Recruits actually have to get dirty during basic. And it will probably be the only time the poor dears ever get yelled at with language Emily post wouldn’t approve of.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I’m not sure this is true for all branches. Don’t marine DI’s get called sir/maam by recruits and officer candidates?

blink on April 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

That may be correct, but Cotton served in the Army.

NotCoach on April 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

We don’t call them non-coms, either. NCOs is the term I remember.

Dirty Creature on April 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I’ll remember that when I enlist.

NotCoach on April 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

That may be correct…

NotCoach on April 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Only if the recruit is a masochist.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

To clear up the confusion:

It may be taken offensively by U.S. Marine Corps Drill Instructors to be referred to as ‘Drill Sergeants’, which is strictly an Army term in the American military, just as Marines may take offense to being called “soldiers”. This is considered to be a grievous insult if done intentionally. The only acceptable address of a drill instructor by a recruit is “Sir” or “Ma’am”. At Officer Candidates School (OCS), candidates are instructed by Drill Instructors who have already served a tour at one of the Recruit Depots. Officer candidates address their instructors as “Sergeant Instructor” (and rank and last name), or “Platoon Sergeant” (and rank and last name). The OCS Platoon sergeant is comparable to the Senior Drill Instructor in an enlisted recruit platoon. In the initial phase of training, officer candidates are trained in almost the same manner, and by the same people, as enlisted Marines, with slight differences reflecting the difference between the responsibilities the candidates will have as second lieutenants and those the recruits will have as junior Marines.

In addition, Drill Instructors at either E-6 or E-7 also train naval officer candidates at the Navy’s Officer Candidate School at Officer Training Command Newport, Rhode Island, a holdover from the days when they trained prospective naval aviators at the former Aviation Officer Candidate School (AOCS) at Naval Aviation Schools Command, Pensacola, FL. Class Drill Instructors train officer candidates alongside Class Chief Petty Officers who have experience training Navy recruits as Recruit Division Commanders (RDCs). Like Marine Corps recruits, Navy officer candidates must address Drill Instructors as either “Sir” or “Ma’am”.

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Outstanding ad.Everyone remembers their drill daddy,forever.Mine told me I was the reason he was for abortion.

docflash on April 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Marine DI’s. Norton is playing a DI role in the commercial – which is what Stoic Patriot seemed to be commenting on. I’m assuming your joint experience dealt with fleet marines instead of training commands.

blink on April 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Marine DIs – yes – according to some of the other guys I work with – but only during basic.
Army and Air Force DIs – no.

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

And that is ONLY during basic training. Outside of basic, you don’t call them sir.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Outstanding, Cotton! Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

flipflop on April 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM

blink on April 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM

And Cotton was in the Army – so his DI would be of the Army type.

Fleet Marines – as one of Navy guys I work with calls them – Navy Infantry…

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:25 PM

A sense of entitlement? Is Pryor frickin’ nuts? The majority of Pryor’s constituents are money-hoarding entitlement “victims” and yet, Pryor has the nerve of stating that Cotton’s military service is a sense of entitlement?

If Cotton doesn’t win by a VAST majority then our country’s in trouble.

P.S. How fast will the left scream that Cotton’s drill sergeant is an Uncle Tom?

Kingfisher on April 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM

blockquote>Well “basic” was the role play for the commercial – which is what Stoic Patriot was commenting on. Also, it seems as if it’s also used for Marine DIs during naval officer candidate school. It also seems as if it’s used for DI’s in the air force.

blink on April 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Yes – but as I said above, Cotton was Army – so his DI would NOT want to be called Sir.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

To resolve the argument-

I did my Basic at Parris Island MCRD and served one enlistment. I now serve Army Guard. Marine Drill Instructors are called “Sir” by recruits. Army Drill Sergeants are called “Sergeant” by recruits.

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Love it. It hits right to the point.

ConservativePartyNow on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I also don’t think that is the last time we see his drill sgt in an ad

ConservativePartyNow on April 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

And Air Force is the same as Army.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

And Air Force is the same as Army.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Although I’m sure some of you former Army or Marines are just dying to say something about the Air Force DIs being called something more like “Camp Counselor”….
;)

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

To resolve the argument-

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

And Army Warrant Officers are called when chow is ready. :-)

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

It’s been many years since I went through USAF basic, but we addressed our MTIs (military training instructors) as “sir” or “ma’am”.

flipflop on April 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

And Army Warrant Officers are called when chow is ready. :-)

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Heck, sir, it’s sort of like heifers. We only call Warrants when no one else is available or nobody’s looking.

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We only call Warrants when no one else is available or nobody’s looking.

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Or when you need a maintenance test flight.

(Make the LTs do the 7day run ups)

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I do hope you had a wonderful Easter, sir.

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

…because what the land needs more of: choom, beer and golf.

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM

It’s a great ad, but I still think I have to give the edge to Joni Ernst. The line about castrating hogs pitched her to the top of the primary heap.

Then again, she’s a veteran, too.

No Truce With Kings on April 21, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Sorry about that. I got the Army and Marines mixed up. =)

Stoic Patriot on April 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM

And that’s how fights get started … ;-)

PoliTech on April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

To resolve the argument-

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I have never heard a Marine call Boot Camp Basic Training. At least before today.

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Plt. 3023, H(ell) Co., 3rd Bn – a long, long time ago

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM

What a great ad. Homerun is right.

portlandon on April 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Not that I doubt it, but since he is an actual DI, I kinda hope they try it. My money says he wouldn’t take THAT lying down… It would be fun to watch.

Dirty Creature on April 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

People use all kinds of terms depending on where and when they went – and which service. But even the Parris Island web site uses the term “basic training”:

We make Marines by recruiting quality young men and women and transforming them through the foundations of rigorous basic training, our shared legacy, and a commitment to our core values, preparing them to win our nation’s battles in service to the country.

And other terms are used if you’re trying to needle / insult someone from a different service or different source – enlisted basic, OCS/OTS, ROTC, or one of the Academies – like “summer camp”.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I’d rather buy a beer for Cotton’s drill sergeant….

Scumby on April 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Cotton and the drill sergeant want to have a few beers, I’ll pick up the tab. Well done, gentlemen.

Jaibones on April 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

No, no, no, that would never happen here.

Though, this gone QOTD style off topic for what was a very good advertisement.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

He left off a very significant fourth reason:

Arkansas, let’s be frank, has a checkered history when it comes to racial harmony. And with the incessant race-baiting coming from Democrats in recent years, conservatives are being painted as racially intolerant or at best insensitive. But as this ad shows, Cotton is not only friends with a black guy, but also comfortable being subordinate to a black guy. I think a lot of Arkansas blacks (15% of the population) will see this ad and suddenly feel a lot more comfortable about possibly voting for Cotton, as it demonstrates that he is not a racist, as the progressive race-baiters try to claim.

Zombie on April 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Though, this gone QOTD style off topic for what was a very good advertisement.

cozmo on April 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

As much as I’d like to, I can’t really comment directly on the ad yet – as our firewall doesn’t allow us to see most videos here – so I have to wait until I get home to see the ad.
So I’m stuck playing with tangents for now….

However – from what I can see – it lokks / sounds like a dam good ad.

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Zombie on April 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM

A++

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Is it okay if I say the ad is cute?

Fallon on April 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Is it okay if I say the ad is cute?

Fallon on April 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM

LOL.
Probably not what they were going for….

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM

At least he didn’t call him a grabasstic piece of amphibious sh!t.

Lanceman on April 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I did M240. I hope you did too.

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Are you trying to imply that you don’t believe M240H attended the training program at Parris Island MCRD?

blink on April 21, 2014 at 4:00 PM

No. I didn’t recall hearing that term used before today. That is all I said as it struck me odd.

But in the interim, I did ask one of my Marine buddies and he said that in fact he has called it Basic, on rare occasions. So I learned something new.

I do not question M240H on his credentials. And in fact may be one of the few readers who understands where his handle comes from. No offense intended.

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Depends – is he referring to the machine gun or the one man hole digger – or something else?

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM

M240 is one of the real life Hot Air commenters I know. He did indeed start his career as a Marine and transfer to the Army.

And if you want to get down to what is the actual proper terminology for the Marines, it is Marine “Recruit” Training, commonly know as … Boot Camp. Not the first Marine I’ve heard refer to it as Basic either.

hawkdriver on April 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I went to basic at MCRD PISC also, and yes, the DIs are/were called ‘sir’.

If you wanted to do anything, you started your sentence with ‘Sir’ and ended it with ‘sir’.

Ex.: “Sir, recruit [name] request permission to speak to Drill Instructor [rank & last name of DI], sir.”

Then if they allow you to speak: “Sir, recruit [name] request permission to use the head (bathroom), sir.”

Good times!

Mark Boabaca on April 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

dentarthurdent on April 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM

You’re right. He might be real fond of one man post hole diggers.
Or something else.

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I’m afraid that Update went right over my head. :-S
Did Sullivan like the ad or dislike it?

KS Rex on April 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Lord luvaduk! I’m still laughing. That was hilarious.

Oldnuke on April 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM

You’re right. He might be real fond of one man post hole diggers.
Or something else.

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Helo-specific M240 belt-fed 7.62. Single-port gas block as opposed to the three-port ground model. The multi-port of the ground (B) model allows the operator(s) to maintain cyclic rate of fire as porting occludes during extensive operation. In the Blackhawk we just get the heck outta Dodge.

And no offense was taken, partner.

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM

It seems as if Sullivan is attempting to unfairly criticize the ad due to his political leanings.

blink on April 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Oh. Thanks! I’m too dense for Ed’s prose today, I guess.

KS Rex on April 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM

When I was in Air Force basic (in 1970), the first and last words out of our mouths was, “Sir.”

davidk on April 21, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I know where my handle come from.

davidk on April 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I know where my handle come from.

davidk on April 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM

A one man post hole digger?

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I finally got to a computer with sound. That was sweet. Not exactly what I was expecting. Better.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I know where my handle come from.

davidk on April 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM

A one man post hole digger?

Closet Optimist on April 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Good one!

davidk on April 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Best campaign ad of the cycle?

I’ve still got to go with the pig castrating lady in Iowa but this one was pretty damned good too.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I went to basic at MCRD PISC also, and yes, the DIs are/were called ‘sir’.

Mark Boabaca on April 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Even the women? ;0

One of the most awkward situations I dealt with during my military career was the (Navy) Personnelman who was working for me who was clearly being physically abused by his Marine Corps spouse. And she was a mean one.

This was back before the current DoD SOP where you gather the unit in a circle and “talk it out” until everybody feels better. /

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Great ad. But might have been more realistic if the Drill Sargeant had screamed a little more.

GrantIndy on April 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM

GrantIndy on April 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Actually, I’m afraid SGT Norton might have gone a bit too far. Even if he’s retired, there are rules about using your military rank in political ads or endorsements. This is right up at the edge of that (and would have been over the line (ethically) had military uniforms been involved). Pryor’s minions are desperate enough to make something of this factor.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

GrantIndy on April 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM

You’re right. I would have expected a drill sergeant to sound tougher. But it might not have gone over as well if he was too shrill. There’s a fine line.

Cotton looks like everybody’s younger brother. At least he looks like mine way back when. I can see women voting for him.

crankyoldlady on April 21, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Notice the disclaimer towards the end of the spot stating that the sergeants appearance does not imply approval from the military.
They are covering their bases nicely.

LeftCoastRight on April 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM

They are covering their bases nicely.

LeftCoastRight on April 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Actually, you’d have to be a hummingbird to read those disclaimers but they were there to explain why this ad did not violate DoD policy.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Roy Rogers on April 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Oh yeah, baybee!

BigAlSouth on April 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Happy Nomad

The WM DI’s at MCRD PISC will most DEFINITELY LIGHT YOUR recruit butt UP if you don’t “ma’am” them until your ears bleed.

tree hugging sister on April 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Good times!

Mark Boabaca on April 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, but did they make you do it in ballistics? EX: “SIR, YES, SIR!” Good times indeed!

I love the ad. I suppose the drill instructor is still on Active Duty if they needed the disclaimer?

pannw on April 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM