God bless America: Powdered alcohol to hit markets soon

posted at 11:21 am on April 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Finally, a solution to the eternal dilemma: Cereal for breakfast this morning, or beer? Soon you won’t have to choose.

But then, some of us never did.

Mark [Phillips] is an active guy…hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. After hours of an activity, he sometimes wanted to relax and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage. But those activities, and many others, don’t lend themselves to lugging heavy bottles of wine, beer or spirits. The only liquid he wanted to carry was water.

So he thought? Wouldn’t it be great to have alcohol in powder form so all one had to do is add water? Since powder is light and compact, it wouldn’t be a burden to carry.

Just a little something for the avid sportsman to add to his campfire coffee at the end of a long day. That’s how the website is pitching this today. As of a few days ago, before the media took notice, the website read … differently:

What’s worse than going to a concert, sporting event, etc. and having to pay $10, $15, $20 for a mixed drink with tax and tip. Are you kidding me?! Take Palcohol into the venue and enjoy a mixed drink for a fraction of the cost…

We’ve been talking about drinks so far. But we have found adding Palcohol to food is so much fun. Sprinkle Palcohol on almost any dish and give it an extra kick. Some of our favorites are the Kamikaze in guacamole, Rum on a BBQ sandwich, Cosmo on a salad and Vodka on eggs in the morning to start your day off right. Experiment. Palcohol is great on so many foods. Remember, you have to add Palcohol AFTER a dish is cooked as the alcohol will burn off if you cook with it…and that defeats the whole purpose.

The section on snorting has been changed too. Today it warns people not to try it because they’ve added something to the powder to increase the volume, meaning you’d have to snort half a cup just to get the effect of one drink. As of a few days ago they were warning people not to try it because … you’ll get high really fast and that’ll “mess you up.” I wonder which warning the public will take to heart once this is on the shelves at the local Kwikee Drunk.

My first thought was that this would be useful chiefly during air travel, but there’s no way TSA is letting people bring unidentified powder onboard, right? Even if they did, the airlines will presumably ban it straightaway lest economy class turn into the upper deck at an Eagles game. Beyond that, I expect there’ll be two deterrents to use: Price, if it turns out that the powder’s not significantly cheaper than most popular alcoholic beverages, and of course social stigma. If I see you pull a packet of Palcohol from your pocket, you’d better be either going camping or on your way back or else, I fear, I may draw certain inferences. (Note to self: Tuck a rolled-up sleeping bag under your arm on future visits to the liquor store.)

Needless to say, if you’re the parent of a teenager, you should probably pull him/her out of school now just to be safe. Exit question for administrative lawyers: I’m seeing some surprise online that the feds would approve this product, but is it really that surprising? If the drug itself is already legal, I imagine agencies like the FDA and TTB have limited discretion to reject a product purely because the delivery mechanism is unorthodox.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A really, truly dry martini?

(Too good not to steal…)

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Good. Grief.

scalleywag on April 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Rally around, drunks. Kill brain cells quicker.

rhombus on April 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

portlandon on April 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Sounds like a pitch on Shark Tank

22044 on April 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM

People will be sniffing it like cocaine.

MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Spring break in a baggie. Great.

trigon on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Nothing made entirely of powder and water will taste good enough to consume.

Rix on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

What a great way to store plenty of vodka on your next mountain climbing trip! I can leave the St. Bernard at home!

Evi L. Bloggerlady on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Welp, packing for the next deployment just got a whole lot easier …

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I think it’s about time we as a society ban alcohol because the evidence suggest that it has been very destructive to modern civilization.
Thousands die every year because of alcohol.
Weed is a safer alternative. A natural plant put on earth by God himself.

weedisgood on April 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

People will be sniffing it like cocaine.

Akzed–you can give to thirsty illegal aliens sneaking over the border–a Dry Martinez. MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That’s so racistical.

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Depending on the cost and taste this could kill bars. All you have to do is order some soda, sprinkle in your powdered alcohol, and you have an instant mixed drink at a much lower cost.

Rocks on April 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

FINALLY! I’ve always felt guilty about sprinkling sugar on my morning Cheerios – this will be so much better.

climbnjump on April 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Nothing made entirely of powder and water will taste good enough to consume. Rix on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That’s why they make pineapple juice silly.

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

To quote W.C. Fields, I once had to subsist for days on nothing but food and water.

Is it 5 o’clock yet?

rbj on April 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Say, pass me another of those powdered donuts …

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Is it okay to mix the Vodka with the orange flavored nicotine liquid for your e-cig so you can have a screwdriver with your smoke?

Dusty on April 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM

This will make having some booze at the movies much easier…buy a coke at the snack bar and mix in some powdered rum. As long as it’s not sugar, no one in NYC would care.

JetBoy on April 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Why not in a parenteral form? IM or IV. Bad symbolism?

butch on April 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Now making a cocktail will mean mixing your powdered alcohol with cocaine or meth and snorting it.

Mark1971 on April 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Wow, has anyone trademarked this as a ‘very bad idea’ yet?

Midas on April 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Welp, packing for the next deployment just got a whole lot easier …

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

What happened to my CONEX hooch?

Roy Rogers on April 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

This has got to be a hoax, right?

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I’m guessing yes.

VegasRick on April 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

As long as it’s not sugar, no one in NYC would care.

JetBoy on April 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Or push you over the 16oz limit….

Dusty on April 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Heh.

Is this going to mean I can’t bring my BC analgesic on planes anymore? (Or into sports venues and the like?)

GWB on April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Rocks on April 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Um, Sparky … there’s other reasons people go to bars. Think size 2 and stilettos, son.

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

E-Cigs, Powered Alcohol, legal Mary Jane…..bah, I’m holding out for a Bravo Juliette in a can. Anything to keep the wife smiling since her knowing grin at the time I said “I do”.

HonestLib on April 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

And, the alcohol usually exists because of the size 2/stilleto combo.

GWB on April 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Say, pass me another of those powdered donuts …
M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Meetings at work just got a lot better!

Marcola on April 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I don’t get it. What’s the problem with the upper deck at an Eagles game? ;0

Seriously, does this get marketed as traditional alcohol at places where you can buy hard booze? Does Palcohol get covered under beverage control laws? Something tells me that OFA got an awfully big check for somebody in the Palcohol organization.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, I know. But those bars are only in business because they charge 5 bucks or more for a mixed drink. You can meet the same women holding a soda mixed with powered alcohol.

Rocks on April 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Allahpundit, when you’re an atheist, and you say “God bless America” in a headline, who are you asking to bless America?

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Add a couple of fillers and make your own pills from the stuff.

A bit of candy coating on a compressed interior and you have the best instant breath mints ever invented!

Once you got it into a powder the ways to carry it are nearly endless.

ajacksonian on April 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Imagine the fun of injesting Palcohol straight along with Pop Rocks.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Just wanted to check – today is April 21st and not April 1st?

sultanp on April 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Neat

TX-96 on April 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Whole new meaning for the ladies that excuse themselves to go to the Powder Room.

fourdeucer on April 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

M240H on April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Yeah but after drinking they usually end up with size 20 and gym shoes. :)

melle1228 on April 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I can leave the St. Bernard at home!

Evi L. Bloggerlady on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Oh, the dog could carry the water for you. ;0

Seriously, until they can make a powder that tastes like a good aged scotch, I’m not interested.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

HonestLib on April 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

You know they have those right..

melle1228 on April 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Powdered alcohol is not a hoax but powdered water is.In the Army there was always some dimwit stupid enough to go to S4 (supply) for a requisition of powdered (or “instant”)water. All you have to do is add water!

MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Can you smoke it? Roll your own?

petefrt on April 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Rocks on April 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Five bucks for a mixed drink? In Manhattan I pay five bucks for a soda.

Not to mention, buying a drink for someone you want to get to know and mixing in some powder…either you’re too cheap, or you’re mixing in a roofie.

JetBoy on April 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

This has got to be a hoax, right? You should be able to do powdered gasoline if it was possible. Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Hmmm… what would you add to it?

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Is this a great country or what!

gerrym51 on April 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

JetBoy on April 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Hey! The package clearly says use Palcohol responsibly!!!

Seriously, that whole sneaking booze into somebody else’s drink?; well what could possibly go wrong?

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Is this a great country or what!

gerrym51 on April 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I’m leaning toward what right now.

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Thousands die every year because of alcohol.
Weed is a safer alternative. A natural plant put on earth by God himself.

weedisgood on April 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Well, if you want to use God as part of the argument, I seem to recall that Christ’s first public miracle was the changing of water into wine. I don’t recall him ever creating marijuana for his disciples. Ergo, alcohol has favor with God while pot does not.

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Anyone with the handle ‘weedisgood’ is probably only smoking dope to keep the rocks in their head warm.

NotCoach on April 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Cruise ships are going to hate this!

rountry on April 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Sounds a little too much like an MRE to me. Thanks, but I’ll stick the antiquated Crown Royal on the rocks with a splash of water.

TXUS on April 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM

PersonFromPorlock on April 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

PersonFromPorlock on April 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Yet the FDA’s stringent testing failed to sort out this ‘hoax’ — Odd, that.

nullrouted on April 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM

??

Good Lt on April 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

TXUS on April 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM

As if blended Canadian whisky isn’t already sold as watered-down swill. ;0

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM

PersonFromPorlock on April 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

So then I suppose powdered milk must be a hoax too because, hey, milk is liquid at anything like room temperature?

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

As if blended Canadian whisky isn’t already sold as watered-down swill. ;0

Happy Nomad on April 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Not a big rye fan.

Johnnie Black is a decent blend for scotch…Blue is even better, but out of my price range. Or a good highland single-malt like Glenlivet (none of that peaty stuff). And Tullamore Dew is some good Irish whiskey.

JetBoy on April 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I grew up as a baptist and they told me the wine was non-alcoholic.
As a matter of fact most Christians believe that wine was non-alcoholic.

weedisgood on April 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Powdered alcohol, I don’t believe can exist as a dry powdered substance. Ground up diaper absorbent saturated with alcohol could exist and be called powdered alcohol. Yuck!

Whats next partnering with Alka-Seltzer and calling it powdered beer?

Give me a good scotch on the rocks anytime, the ice cubes will melt.

meci on April 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM

It’s not ethyl alcohol. I guess there is a solid alcohol derived from certain fats but I haven’t heard that it gets you drunk.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM

PersonFromPorlock on April 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Milk has a lot of water in it, around 80%, take out the water and you have powdered milk. Doesn’t work that way with alcohol.

slickwillie2001 on April 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

NOT.

A.

HOAX.

powerpickle on April 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Basically alcohol is chemisorbed to a cyclodextrin (sugar) ring….apparently one cyclodextrin ring can absorb multiple alcohol molecules.

Must make for a slightly sweet drink….

powerpickle on April 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Oh goodie…one more route for the High School kids to get drunk on campus and at parties….

powerpickle on April 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Proving the old saying “Where there is a will, there is a way.”

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

But wait, there’s more…

For those hipsters among us, Palcohol is available for your food printer! Now you will never have to leave your house.
/s

I’m with slickwillie, I don’t think powdered alcohol would get you drunk.

Effay5 on April 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Powdered Zima, Oh yeah!

Murphy9 on April 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM

A new MRE option for the New Military?

portlandon on April 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM

As one who hikes many miles over many days it would be nice at the end of the day to have a beverage to relax by the fire with. Weight is at a premium when hiking so I think this is awesome, I also think it’s their target market.

Minnfidel on April 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Available at Kwikee Mart? I’ve seen those…

ExpressoBold on April 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Alcohol is liquid at anything like room temperature. Either it isn’t a powder, or it isn’t alcohol. Hoax. PersonFromPorlock on April 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I think that if you take out just the hydrogen and oxygen, it’s the same as taking out the liquid part.

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Alcohol bound to cyclodextrin to create a powdery substance. Add water and the alcohol is freed. iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

See?

My man.

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM

They say you must be “legal age” to buy it. That could be said for anything. They say they used a premium vodka distilled four times. That might mean they distilled out the alcohol and the water and just used what solids remain after distilling out all the liquids.

It suspiciously doesn’t mention what kind of alcohol is in it.

I think it’s one of those dihydrogen monoxide jokes.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Okay, so for someone who knows the product specs of powdered alcohol…is it combustible?

If so, wonder how long it will take for people to figure out other uses for it?

lineholder on April 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM

As a matter of fact most Christians believe that wine was non-alcoholic.

weedisgood on April 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

If you’re a troll, you have a long way to go. If you’re serious, you’re an idiot.

(And, yes, the occasional argument that the wine at Cana was non-alcoholic grape juice is nonsensical, too.)

GWB on April 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Minnfidel on April 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Oh please. Liquid alcohol would weigh less.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I grew up as a baptist and they told me the wine was non-alcoholic.
As a matter of fact most Christians believe that wine was non-alcoholic.

weedisgood on April 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I have heard some Baptists try to claim the wine was non-alcoholic. That’s a long way from “most Christians,” and I think you’d be hard pressed to back that statement up.

Regardless, the claim is idiotic if you just read the story. In the story itself, the people taste the wine Christ has made, and realize how fine a wine it is, and they question Him about it. The basis of their questioning is that normally, you give the people the good stuff first, and then when they’re drunk, you give them the cheap stuff, because they won’t care at that point. In this case, though, the people had been drinking, and were already rather inebriated, and then Christ makes the good stuff for them.

So, clearly, not only was the wine of the time quite alcoholic, but when Christ was making them more of it, He was aware they were already rather intoxicated, and He still made more for them. To then turn around, as some Baptists like to argue, and suggest that wine of the time was different from our wine of today, and somehow non-alcoholic, and that drinking is somehow sinful, is asinine.

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM

As a matter of fact most Christians believe that wine was non-alcoholic. weedisgood on April 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

When did you survey them?

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM

slickwillie2001 on April 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I know that. But his argument didn’t make any sense. He was basing his argument on the fact that at room temperature, alcohol is a liquid. Well, so are a lot of things? So what? We’re not talking about freezing or evaporating them here. There’s lots of things that are liquid at room temperature that can still be turned into a powder.

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 2:30 PM

The paint on the walls was once liquid. Now it’s solid. What changed? Not the temperature.

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Oh please. Liquid alcohol would weigh less.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Powdered alcohol would weigh less. When you are carrying a bottle of Vodka it is not 100% alcohol. However, you would still have to carry enough water to reconstitute the alcohol unless you had some sort of water purification tools at your disposal.

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Akzed on April 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM

The pigment in paint is always a solid. It is suspended in a liquid (water or oil). When the suspending component evaporates the dry matter binds and settles just like concrete does.

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Oh please. Liquid alcohol would weigh less.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I was going to reply that to him. I am not sure where he gets the idea that liquid alcohol would weigh more. We brink powdered milk too. Funny I can make a pint of milk and the powder weighs about 2.0 oz. We have water purification filters that we use in camp so we’re not hauling it.

Minnfidel on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

This is most likely a hoax. Ethyl alcohol in alcoholic beverages (including beer and wine) comes from fermentation of sugars, which is a slow reaction, requiring many days or weeks. It would not be possible to produce a powder that reacts rapidly with water to produce ethyl alcohol.

Steve Z on April 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Alcohol exists in 3 states. Gas, liquid and solid (frozen). In order to get it in dry form I would think it would have to bind alcohol molecules to another component like cyclodextrin. I’m not a rocket scientist but I would think it’s entirely possible to do so.

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Unless you’re Obama… then alcohol exists in 57 states ;)

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM

MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM

You are such an evil person. And right on the heels of Easter.

Really!

/”Just my way of saying You beat me to it, YB!”

thejackal on April 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Let’s keep it real here; that’s not at all how cement, the binder in concrete, works.

Portland cement hydrates–that is, the calcium silicates which act as the binder actually absorb water, and bind it. You can drive the water back off with heat, which means concrete can be damaged by fire if it gets hot enough, but cement (and by extension, concrete, which is cement mixed with aggregates) does not harden by drying.

There is excess water in the average mix to give the right consistency for placing and finishing; that excess water will migrate out and you get drying in that sense.

TexasDan on April 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Oh please. Liquid alcohol would weigh less.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Yea I am not sure where he gets that liquid would be less weight. It’s very similar to powdered milk in that much of the weight in liquid is the water. We have filters that we use when we make camp for the night to make the water potable. I don’t really care about the motives of the company, all I know is, that it would be pretty dang cool to have a cocktail after hiking 20 miles!

Minnfidel on April 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

thejackaL—what a wonderful name for a slinking, skulking coward who calls other people ‘evil’, hiding behind a pseudonym. What is mean and evil is for a country (the only democracy on earth with a true middle class) to be lost because one party is politically corrupt and covets more power and the other acquiesces through political cowardice and political correctness.”Usted es un chacal.” And Mr (or Mrs) anonymous jackal, you must believe Uncle Jeb that these invaders are harmless teddy bears who just want to “love us to pieces.” go to hell!

MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I bought some powdered water, but I don’t know what to add to it.
– Steven Wright

Murphy9 on April 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

People have been able to sneak in flasks and mini bottles to bars for years if they really wanted to get around the $8 drink price. But people for the most part don’t, so I don’t think the powdered booze would change that.

I’m also willing to bet that flavor wise this wouldn’t be the greatest quality, but great for a last resort depending on your circumstances. Which is why camping/hiking would be the ideal time for it.

nextgen_repub on April 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM

You are such an evil person. And right on the heels of Easter.

Really!

/”Just my way of saying You beat me to it, YB!”

thejackal on April 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM

…And Mr (or Mrs) anonymous jackal, you must believe Uncle Jeb that these invaders are harmless teddy bears who just want to “love us to pieces.” go to hell!

MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Unintended result of sarcasm.

MaiDee, I’m fairly sure thejackal was snarking, and made the joke that you are wrong, only because you made the “dry Martinez” joke first.

Effay5 on April 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM

MaiDee on April 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Wrong thread?

Minnfidel on April 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

He’s making the point that you need to carry extra water to mix the alcohol. Unless you’re going to replace the water you carry with alcohol – in which case, simply carry the alcohol. Yes, if you purify your water along the trail, then it is less weight than dragging the water, itself. (BTW, if you’re bringing any sort of liquor [beer would be different, since you would want to preserve the fizzy part, I would think] you really don’t need to bring the bottle along. Pour it in a freezer baggy and seal it up good – or into whatever container you normally use for water (as long as it’s non-reactive).

GWB on April 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I once hiked wine in on a hiking trip. Just around 8 oz worth for the first night. It was a bad experience. I wouldn’t go so far as to say my body rejected it, but it wanted water instead. Which I did give it, but by then the “damage” was done. I felt horrible the next day and I didn’t even drink a glass worth that I would on a night at home.

That said, this sounds like a bad idea all around. I can see how responsible people would use it right. But there are way too many irresponsible ones who would ruin it for the rest of us.

ConDem on April 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

To make it perfect for camping, you should produce a version that can be reconstituted with human urine. Then you could simply re-use the fluids you’re already carrying around.

I’m filing a patent on this brilliant idea.

Toocon on April 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Meh, this idea first surfaced at least as early as 1966, in one of the worst Jerry Lewis movies ever, “Way…Way Out!” in which our hero played an American astronaut about to go to our Moon Station for an extended stay and has to find a female astronaut bride (the always-hot Connie Stevens). Right next door was a Russian Moon Station, inhabited by Cosmonauts Dick Shawn and his wifey, the always-lovely Anita Ekberg.

Dick had powdered Vodka mix, of course!

Del Dolemonte on April 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Oh please. Liquid alcohol would weigh less.

Buddahpundit on April 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

iceman1960 on April 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Minnfidel on April 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

We used to have a big annual multi-family hiking trip here in New Hampshire, whereby we would all hike to one of 8 Appalachian Mountain Club Huts and spend the night. They provided (for a hefty fee)a bunk and all the food and water we could handle, so we didn’t have to worry about carrying those items. We soon discovered that the parents were always bringing along flasks of what they called “snakebite”.

When we reached legal drinking age, we had the brilliant idea to go on the next such group hike bringing in 6 packs of beer. Worst mistake we ever made! The beer was much too heavy, and then we had to pack out all of the empties. The parents, on the other hand, only had to pack out their (by then empty) flasks. They had the last laugh.

Del Dolemonte on April 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM