Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on April 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

War, faith, and rights are on the menu for Sunday-show brunch this Easter morning. On “Meet the Press,” it’s all about Ukraine: Prime minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk will be on to discuss the prospects of war in the east and, maybe, to update the world on who’s really responsible for those “Jews must register” flyers in Donetsk. If you’d prefer something truer to the spirit of the day, Cardinals Dolan and Wuerl will have the spotlights on “Face the Nation” and “Fox News Sunday,” respectively.

And if you’re in the mood for red meat, former Justice John Paul Stevens will sit down with “This Week” to discuss his new book, which modestly recommends “fixing” the Second Amendment to limit gun rights to organized militias. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

I never watch any of them.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Dittoes COL. Happy Easter, everyone…

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Lost me at fix the 2A.

ceraphym on April 20, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Scary monent. Winston knocked my bottle of neurontin off the table. I picked all of them up but I didn’t get all of them I guess because I saw him playing with something. He had a pill stuck to his lip. I’ve had trouble with them sticking to the roof of my mouth. That’s what kept him from swallowing it.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Is that like ‘fixing’ your dog?

Economist on April 20, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Christ is Risen!

MWC_RS on April 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM

What are neurontin?

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Now where is jaibones. One of the reasons I come to HotAir is to reed his lengthy and true description of the talk shows without me having to go to politico.

MWC_RS on April 20, 2014 at 8:31 AM

What are neurontin?

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM

It’s the drug I’m taking that is supposed to be helping but isn’t.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Steven’s “fix” doesn’t even really change the meaning of the 2nd. So yeah John Paul is so ignorant of the 2nd he can’t even effectively gut it with an amendment.

MWC_RS on April 20, 2014 at 8:33 AM

When did children start getting expensive presents for Easter. We just got eggs and chocolate bunnies and we were satisfied.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Happy Easter HA family
He is Risen!!

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

crankyoldlady

I could sometimes convince my parents to put in some cool toy like an action figure or something.

I once got a cheap WWII game once ( called Normandy I think) worked for Windows 95 ( tells you how old it was)

But nothing expensive.

Of course today’s parents lack the hardness of heart ours did.

MWC_RS on April 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Happy Easter everyone!

Naturally Curly on April 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Happy Easter HA family
He is Risen!!

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Where have you been?

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM

***Steve Eggleston***

Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

***Steve Eggleston***

Do you have any idea of an estimate for total Obamacare costs? Not just taxpayer/government spending, but government plus consumer spending totals since it’s no longer a choice to spend that $500 dollars a month on premiums?

Extra points if you know anything about costs of implementation and time spent by private business incorporating, managing, updating, and maintaining their individual systems annually. I doubt those numbers are out there but that’s part of the total cost as well, especially since a law requires it to exist.

I’ve never seen any of these numbers, but I’m guessing Obamacare will cost Americans at least $15T+/decade.

Any insight?

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

We always got new Easter outfits too.

Naturally Curly on April 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Happy Easter HA family
He is Risen!!

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Welcome back! Happy Easter!

Naturally Curly on April 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM

We always got new Easter outfits too.

Naturally Curly on April 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Oh well yeah so did we. But they are showing kids on Fox with expensive toys like they would get at Christmas.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Just another secularized, commercialized formerly-religious holiday in American popular culture, unfortunately.

Wethal on April 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM

We just got Easter Baskets, no toys…

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I agree, that’s ridiculous. We really don’t even do Christmas gifts anymore. The more they push the commercialization of Christmas the more I push back. Makes the whole season much more enjoyable!

Naturally Curly on April 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Stevens wants to “fix” the 1st Amendment too, only elites such as judges can say whatever they want.

Happy Easter all you agnostics!

When I was a kid I got toy guns for Easter. Yes I did, and my parents were card-carrying churchgoers. The other kids got stuffed animals, games, whatever, I got a plastic gun.

Bishop on April 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Morning OC :)

I decided to offer up posting on HA during the Lenten season….

morning NC

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

O T : . . . . . then again, maybe notthis near tragic incident might actually get some mention, on the Sunday “political argument” shows.

listens2glenn on April 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I usually got a book in my easter basket….

yeah, I’m a nerd

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Bishop on April 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM

We got Pop Tarts and it was up to us to bite them into gun shapes.

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Morning OC :)

I decided to offer up posting on HA during the Lenten season….

morning NC

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Oh, cool. We have had two OR in your absence. More noobs…

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Bish, was it the dart gun that looked like a perfect Colt 1911? We got those every year (from my Big Lib Mom). Hilarious.

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:08 AM

We got Pop Tarts and it was up to us to bite them into gun shapes.

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Funny. We didn’t get much for Christmas either. It depended how much my parents could afford. I remember getting a camera one year. Mostly we got clothes.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Weird lineup today – a Prime Minister, three foreign ambassadors to the U.S., two Cardinals (Easter), two former elected Republicans, the usual phalanx of the kook left and their clownish race victim tokens, but also two communications directors (DNC and GOP). Just odd.

The usual RINOs must be vacationing for Easter.

“Meet the Press” on NBC
• Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk – NA
• Bob Corker – RINO
• Chris Murphy – Kook Left Fringe
• Debbie Wasserman Schultz – Kook Left Fringe

“Face the Nation” on CBS
• Cardinal Timothy Dolan – Scary actual Catholic!
• Deval Patrick – Kook Left Fringe

“This Week” on ABC
• John Paul Stevens – Kook Left Fringe
• Mike McCaul – Conservative

“Fox News Sunday” on Fox
• Cardinal Donald Wuerl – Scary actual Catholic!
• Evan Bayh – Fake moderate Liberal
• Sergey Kislyak, Russian Ambassador to the U.S. – NA

“State of the Union” on CNN
• John Walsh – (Remember when the drunk in Montana resigned early, so they could appoint another Dem and hopefully give him a re-election advantage? Yeah, that’s this guy. Another western liberal who pretends to be a conservative. Montana falls for this schtick every time.) Liberal
• Mo Elleithee – No, seriously … that’s his name. Just another DNC tool.
• Sean Spicer – Unknown establishment GOPer
• Lukman Faily, Iraqi ambassador to the U.S. – NA
• Kim Beazley, Australian ambassador to the U.S. – NA

“Political Capital” on Bloomberg TV
• William Cohen – Conservative-ish GOPer

“Newsmakers” on C-SPAN
• Tim Pawlenty – Conservative-ish GOPer

“Al Punto” on Univision Racist TV
• Martin O’Malley – Clownish liberal
• Katherine Vargas – Affirmative Action liberal

Not much else to say, but a joyous Easter to all – and I sincerely hope you’re too busy today to watch these people blather on TV.

Bishop…

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM

excellent

welcome newbies :)

*clink* with coffee this am…

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 9:14 AM

He is Risen!!

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Indeed.

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:14 AM

O T : . . . . . then again, maybe not … this near tragic incident might actually get some mention, on the Sunday “political argument” shows.

listens2glenn on April 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Proving one more that progressives are in no position to lecture anyone else about “safety” on any subject.

Most people have sense enough to figure out that that wide yellow stripe is there to tell you “Don’t stand here”. But a progressive? “Rules don’t apply to me!”

One more foot and about 400 kN of KE would have had a very good try at applying to him.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:14 AM

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:27 AM

what is his weight and the pill dosage?
I had to give one of mine neurontin for a bit plus I myself use it daily.
if th epill is around 100mg he may get sleepy but neurontin is safe for cats at lower doasge. my 800mg tablets cannot be used but we had our 9lb cat on 150mg twice a day for a bit.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

There are so many supposed learned people wanting to fix or change or do away with the constitution these days. Don’t they see that the rule of law we have gone by since our founding has been ignored by our dear leader whenever it suits his pursuit of the dream of a utopia society? The job of fixing has already has a little red book so we don’t need this one.

Kissmygrits on April 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

We got Pop Tarts and it was up to us to bite them into gun shapes.

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I was part of the fruits and nuts crowd, too. I remember Christmas being about the only time we had oranges. And yeah, you got socks and things because they were gifts but gifts you needed.

In all seriousness, I remember occasional Mary Janes at Easter. I love those little things, probably because they were so rare and special back then.

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM

“Do you deny that you are a man who wants to redistribute wealth?” O’Reilly asked.

Obama first noted the conservatism of the Wall Street Journal’s editorial page, then denied the charge “absolutely.”

“I didn’t raise taxes once. I lowered taxes over the last two years,” Obama said.

But we’ve documented numerous instances when he has. He’s has signed off on small tax cuts for most taxpayers, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s also approved several tax increases. So we rate his statement False.

Politifact(2011 )

He’s a liar and don’t let your liberal friends and posters tell you differently.

CW on April 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I always wanted one of these for Christmas. The ultimate in video games…for the time. It was pretty primitive when I was a kid. We actually had to physically change the channels on the TV. Didn’t do it a lot though since we only got 2 1/2 channels. NBC Ch4 out of Nashville only came in clear occasionally.

Oldnuke on April 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Two words that bring joy: Stale Peeps©/®.

CW on April 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I’m an organized militia of one.

clement on April 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM

“State of the Union” on CNN

• Mo Elleithee – No, seriously … that’s his name. Just another DNC tool.

Oh, by the way — “Mo” is short for … come one, wait for it …
Mohammed. Of course.

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Yes, it amazes me that spending $100+ on a child’s Easter is becoming fairly common. I remember getting a basket with jelly beans, a chocolate bunny, sometimes some other candy or fruit, and a relatively inexpensive non-edible gift like a book. Probably $20 to $30 total in today’s money (and the same basket and grass were used every year). The best part of Easter as a kid was decorating eggs on Saturday and doing a hunt on Sunday. That experience was worth more than any expensive toy.

DisneyFan on April 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM

That’ll be the spark.

Cleombrotus on April 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Um,,

That’ll be the spark.

Cleombrotus on April 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

No Sunday is complete without Jaibones analysis of the morning show lineup of kooks, freaks, mental-cases, and Marxists. Thanks again and Happy Easter to you.

Franklin100 on April 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Any insight?

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM
……………….
May not be that expensive since none of the doctors will take zerocare. Could cost a lot less since once victims of zero care insurance discover there are no doctors available and the deductibles are so high it may be far more worthwhile for most to just pay the fines. Biggest costs will be premium support moochers and Medicaid fraud.

rodguy911 on April 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Hopefully that miscreant Stevens’ book will do as well as Snarlin Arlen’s “memoir”.

22044 on April 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

CW on April 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Love the Peeps!!!! Always allow myself 2 little packs.

Barred on April 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I take a few small pills twice daily, and once I dropped one and couldn’t find it. I thought my little 6# chihuahua was safely in the next room at the time, but I couldn’t be sure. I searched everywhere, and was terrified. Finally, I found it near where she had been, damp but intact. She must have spit it out, Thank God.

ncinca on April 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

He is Risen!!

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Alleluia!

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Thanks!

Vince on April 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 8:27 AM

what is his weight and the pill dosage?
I had to give one of mine neurontin for a bit plus I myself use it daily.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

oops I didn’t se that he actually DIDN’T swallow it.
however would like to know his weight and the dose as I could tell you if safe or not.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Happy Easter HA family
He is Risen!!

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

…I like your new outfit!…I’m glad you’re back…hope you gave up morning Joe for lent too!

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

…thanks buddy!

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

John Paul Stevens – Ford’s biggest mistake.

bw222 on April 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Thanks for telling me that in case he actually ever does get one. I really didn’t think it would kill him or anything. It’s only 100. 800 gee. Hope I won’t have to take that much.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

and Medicaid fraud.

rodguy911 on April 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Doesn’t exist.
Signed, Liberalguy

Oh wait:

By CARLA K. JOHNSON and SARA BURNETT
Associated Press

Latest News
Wealthy Fla. doctor linked to senator back in news
Top-paid Medicare doctors say they have reasons

Government hikes Medicare Advantage pay estimate

Medical Assn won’t stop Medicare doc data release

Buy AP Photo Reprints

CHICAGO (AP) — The Illinois Medicaid program paid an estimated $12 million for medical services for people listed as deceased in other state records, according to an internal state government memo.

The memo dated Friday, which The Associated Press obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, says the state auditor compared clients enrolled in the Medicaid database last June with state death records dating back to 1970. Auditors identified overpayments for services to roughly 2,900 people after the date of their deaths.

The heads of the departments of Healthcare and Family Services and Human Services, the two state agencies involved with Medicaid payments, outline steps to fix the problem in the memo to their senior staffs.

The memo states that more than $7 million has been recovered and the rest is expected to be recouped by year’s end.

Sen. Dale Righter, a Republican from Mattoon and the Senate GOP’s point person on Medicaid reform, said the finding was further evidence that Democrats’ arguments that they have done all they can to clean up the Medicaid rolls is “empty rhetoric.”

CW on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I did KA2 :)

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM

No John McCain? I’m stunned.

TarheelBen on April 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

CW on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

One of the nice things about those greedy corporations is that they devote a fair amount of resources to fraud detection and prevention. Feel free to criticize AMEX, but about a month ago, I was at my PC at 11 pm, and AMEX sent me a fraud alert. My number had been used for a $70 purchase from some knick-knack outfit in Oshkosh, WI. The vendor was not in the profile AMEX has on me, so AMEX declined the charge. I called and confirmed I made no such charge, and AMEX cancelled the card and had a new card in my hands within days.

The point is that I simply can’t get over the amount of longstanding fraud that the feds sometime uncover.

Beyond the Medicaid fraud, this country needs to attack disability fraud. It’s just a permanent form of unemployment insurance for people who turn around and supplement their income in the underground economy.

BuckeyeSam on April 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I accidentally posted a double, and both are in mod queue. the second had a spelling correction.
not sure why in mod queue as there were no bad words.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM

If a credit card company can pick up fraud instantly like that then the government should be able to do that too.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Welcome back, you have been missed.

Cindy Munford on April 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Any insight?

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM

rodguy911 on April 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Some Covered California Patients Say They Can’t See A Doctor

“While open enrollment for coverage under the Affordable Care Act is closed, many of the newly insured are finding they can’t find doctors, landing them into a state described as ‘medical homelessness.’”

slickwillie2001 on April 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Medical Assn won’t stop Medicare doc data release

Buy AP Photo Reprints

CW on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

It takes a LOT of healthcare to get dead people out of their graves in order to vote on election day.

slickwillie2001 on April 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Thanks Cindy :)

cmsinaz on April 20, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Seems to me that Justice Stevens has conceded the point that, as written, the 2nd amendment in fact DOES protect the individual right to keep and bear arms. This should finally lay to rest the anti-constitutional-left’s predilection, for confusing the prefatory clause with the operative clause, once and for all.

flyovermark on April 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

not sure why in mod queue as there were no bad words.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM

If you used some brand-name pharmaceutical (e.g. P-r-o-z-a-c), I believe those get blocked (I think Ed said because of trackback link spam or something).

ShainS on April 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Justice Stevens is certainly entitled to his opinion, as is my wife, who is adopting the motto “Molon Labe”. I’m trying to get her to calm down, but no luck.

MTF on April 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Shouldn’t any case in which Justice Stevens cast a deciding vote be re-heard, on the grounds that he may have been mentally incompetent at that point? Just sayin’.

PersonFromPorlock on April 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM

If you’d prefer something truer to the spirit of the day, …

What would be nice is if the talking heads & their guests took a day off from the political sniping. A guy can dream, can’t he?

KS Rex on April 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM

yeah 100 is safe if hes 6lb or more.
what would happen is he would have about 30 minutes of a coordination issue usually with leg placement but he would adapt soon.
he would also get SUPER friendly, I mean super friendly and then he would sleep a lot.
it would wear off pretty fast.

I use neur*ntin 800 and lyr*ca, s*ma, r*baxin, l*rcet, ultr*m due to multiple injuries. so I have to make sure my kittens (no matter how old they are they are still kittens) never get into them.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM

had to use * instead of o or in the medication name. thats foolish.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM

John Paul Stevens – Ford’s biggest mistake.

bw222 on April 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

If only he had chosen Arlin Adams of the Third Circuit instead. American jurisprudence, history and culture might have been so different.

Adams was #2 on the list, and supposedly sat by the phone all night waiting for the phone call that never came.

Wethal on April 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I didn’t think anything about it. I just spelled it out and then when I saw somebody else’s post I thought is that a brand name or a generic name. Fortunately that’s all I take besides vitamins. I don’t want to be my mother who took 9 different things. If 100 3 times a day isn’t helping I’m giving it up.

Winston sleeps all day anyway so I would never notice if he took it.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM

LOL
our cat got all friendly and talky and staggering a few minutes. wore off quick though, we had to put her on phenobarbit*l to help with the seizures.

think it was the ultr*m name that triggered the block as that one is used in lot of email spam.

neurontin is the brand name, gabapentin is the generic name.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

You betcha, ay? Hope you had a good Easter day. We had my wife’s whole family over for dinner. Long, lovely day.

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Thanks again and Happy Easter to you.

Franklin100 on April 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Thanks, Franklin. Happy Easter — hope it was a memorable day.

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM

…went to sis-in-laws…only one who can cook better than my bride…I have to put on sweat pants!…all the Polish and German and Ukrainian foods!

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I have to put on sweat pants!…all the Polish and German and Ukrainian foods!

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Heh. I am breathing with some difficulty myself.

Jaibones on April 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Steven’s objection to the Second Amendment, is political rather than legal. He just doesn’t like the fact that Americans have the right to keep and bear arms. Since SCOTUS, has recently declared that the Second Amendment confers an individual right, irrespective of any service in a militia, he now sees the need to rewrite the 2nd to remove those righs from American citizens. We all know that a disarmed citizenry faced with a massively armed government, ultimately leads to governments shooting their own citizens. History is full of examples of such incidents.

kjatexas on April 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM