Modern tales of the Good Samaritan

posted at 12:01 pm on April 20, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Far too many of the stories we cover here, both in politics and current events, are simply sad, depressing or tragic. It’s the nature of the beast, I’m afraid. But Easter is a time of renewal and hope, and not all stories have unhappy endings. Here are a few modern day Good Samaritans from recent events who I hope will help recharge our collective faith in humanity.

Sometimes when a person sees evil in action, he is compelled to act.

Just after 4 p.m., a 54-year-old Sheboygan woman was leaving a business on N. 8th St. As she was putting items into her vehicle, the 28-year-old male suspect approached her from behind, grabbed her purse, and pulled her to the ground.

The suspect then ran from the scene.

A 55-year-old man driving past the area witnessed the suspect fleeing with the purse and followed him. When the suspect ran into a nearby yard, the good Samaritan parked his vehicle and began searching for the man.

The good Samaritan located the suspect in a yard, going through the stolen purse. The man then pursued, tackled and held down the suspect as officers arrived on scene.

Sheboygan police describe the man’s actions as both decisive and courageous.

When Janus Jurisoo was called a hero by local officials, he had just one response. “No I’m just a regular dude.”

A last minute change in lunch plans brought Janus to the CVS on the corner of Fruitville Road and Tuttle Avenue on Sunday. He decided to go kayaking and stopped by the store to buy water, only to find a crime in progress.

Sarasota Police say 65-year-old Freddie Johnson walked into the CVS with what appeared to be a gun in the pocket of his jacket, looking for prescription drugs.

“I saw him threatening the clerk in the front of the store with the gun. ‘I’m going to shoot you if you don’t stand still’ and all that stuff. When I entered he told me the same to shut up or I’ll shoot.” Janus adds.

As Johnson walked towards the pharmacy Janus told the clerk to call 911 and he began to follow Johnson. Janus says, “He was yelling put all the pills in a bag or I’ll shoot.”

Janos waits for Johnson to be distracted with the pills and then makes his move. “So I went grabbed his hand suppose to hold a gun took by the neck forced him down.”

“I told him not to resist to stay down or I’d punch him too,” says Janus. He says, “Police arrived quickly quick response I thank you for that.”

Not every hero rescues other people. Some rescue those who can’t ask for help themselves. When a family in Bluff City, Tennessee found an injured dog in their yard which had apparently been hit by a car, they contacted a business owner across the street to see if they might know who the owner was. She had a big heart.

“She came over to see him. The dog started wagging its tail,” Wanda said. “She seen its leg and she went all to pieces. She said, ‘I’m taking it on to get help. It’s not going to lay here in pain.’ ”

And the woman, who declined to be named or interviewed for the story, went to get her car.

“When she got back, he crawled to her car like he knew she was going to save him,” Wanda said. “It was just meant to be in my yard. He knew we’d get him help. You can’t let little defenseless animals suffer like that.”

The woman, who is being called “the Good Samaritan,” took the dog and brought him to the Appalachian Animal Hospital in nearby Piney Flats.

The dog, now dubbed Radar, spent the weekend at the facility. When the Good Samaritan returned Monday, she discovered Radar needed a very specialized surgery to fix his broken leg. Locally, the surgery could only be done by Dr. Ken Chamness, a veterinarian at Jonesborough Animal Hospital who specializes in orthopedic surgery for animals.

The initial vet stay came with a price tag of more than $500. The surgery, once completed, would cost another $1,000.

“She wants to give it a good life,” Wanda said. “I just felt really bad because it was in our yard and she game over and helped it, and it was a $1,500 expense.”

Just a few people who remind us that there’s still plenty of light left in the world. A joyous Easter to all of you.

Comments

I’d argue this nation is filled with these good samaritan stories. That isn’t what generally makes the news. Case-in-point. The WaPo this morning saw fit to observe Easter with an above-the-fold front page story that most returning war vets are crazy or something.

Happy Nomad on April 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM

The guys in the first two stories are THE MAN.

They’re ordinary Dirty Harrys without guns.

I hope they got a chance to stomp a bit on both perps before the cops arrived.

BuckeyeSam on April 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM

There are still plenty of everyday Good Samaritans out there. Thanks for this upbeat post, Jazz…

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Incorrect responses, citizens. You are to vomit and/or urinate on yourselves until authorities arrive to identify your bodies.

rogerb on April 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Thanks, I’m local to the dog story and I’ll be glad to chip in a bit for Radar’s bill and help spread the word. This happens every day in the US, but it just isn’t “news” to our LSM.

Mini-14 on April 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I’d agree with Happy Nomad, but in the first case, the man is lucky the cops didn’t taze & handcuff him as a perp that being how the Millicents roll these days.

JFKY on April 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Random acts of kindness will save the world.

Grunt on April 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM

What can one say but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4Xfj2LRSA

radjah shelduck on April 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM

See, the difference between ordinary citizens coming to the rescue and the police doing their duty is that the citizen puts his life on the line, many times without being armed, and the police come in with SWAT gear armed to the teeth putting innocent women’s and children’s lives on the line. The citizen might get a pat on the back, and the police get promoted.

HiJack on April 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Great post. HotAir is truly above the bar!

Robbya on April 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM

There are still some of us left. God bless him.

crosshugger on April 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Great story! I enjoyed the whole thing. We need more reminders that the darker side of human nature does not always win.

I did get some comic-relief as well, from this one quote that hit me as very funny:

God bless! :)

s1im on April 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

HiJack on April 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM

It’s sad you think that way. I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s sad we all think that way. I remember when the policeman walked a beat and knew everybody and they used to tell children the policeman is your friend. Sad that it isn’t like that anymore. They have a lot to do to improve their image.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Thank you for this wonderful article. I wish it would be a regular thing to run this type of story at least once a week!!

This site is read nationally and is top-rated. Let’s give them something to read that they seldom get any place else!

avagreen on April 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Sheboygan police describe the man’s actions as both decisive and courageous.

I’m glad they didn’t do what police often do: slam him for risking his life & say that folks should depend only on the cops.

itsnotaboutme on April 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Random acts of kindness will save the world.

Grunt on April 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM

“For God so loved the world…”
Jesus’ sacrificial death was not random, but it was the kindest act in history, & it will save whoever fully trusts in him. :)

itsnotaboutme on April 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Good > Evil all the time.

SouthernGent on April 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM

avagreen on April 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Why not start your own blog and call it only good news. See if very many people watch it. It would be nice if they did but I think it’s been tried.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Not a regular dude. Hero!

hawkdriver on April 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM

…more of this goes on locally then is reported in the national news…I see it locally and rarely read about it elsewhere.

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Can never have enough stories about good people, God bless them all. And a little late, but a Blessed Easter to Hot Airians.

AppraisHer on April 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Love these people…

dpduq on April 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM

If it bleeds, it leads. Actually, you folks that run HA have a choice about what you post.

Nonetheless, last year I simply stopped watching the news. Dropped DirecTV and never watch local news. Don’t listen to top of the hour news while listening to talk radio, either.

It has been a great decision. My heart is much better off because of it.

Galtian on April 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Atlanta recently witnessed an act of selflessness. Herb Emory, the city’s most well known traffic reporter, died of a massive heart attack after pulling 2 people from a car accident. It was a Saturday and he heard about the accident on the scanner in his personal truck.

Herb was from rural North Carolina and hosted a NASCAR show on his station. Bigots on the left love to call guys like Herb “racist rednecks”.

The 2 young men he pulled from danger are black.

TedInATL on April 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM