Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark

posted at 10:01 am on April 20, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

I’m taking Easter off, but it’s still a good time for an update on the efforts by our friends Phelim McAleer and Ann McIlhenny, filmmakers of Not Evil Just Wrong and Frack Nation. They want to tell the story of Kermit Gosnell, whom they describe as “the worst serial killer in American history,” but they need to raise funds to shoot the TV movie. Phelim and Ann are halfway through their IndieGoGo crowdfunding push for their Gosnell Movie project, and passed the $1 million level in fundraising yesterday:

Dear Supporters,

We have just passed $1,000,000 and want to say very special thank you to all of you who have contributed to get us this far, it’s a really big milestone. We are so grateful to you.

Phelim

Ann

Magdalena

Just to remind everyone about the Gosnell case, here’s Ann reading part of the grand jury report:

The media doesn’t want to tell this story, Phelim told me on Thursday’s TEMS, which is why he and Ann want to make sure they do:

Phelim McAleer updates TEMS on Gosnell Movie crowdfunding from Ed Morrissey on Vimeo.

If you want to make sure the story gets told, contribute now to the Gosnell Movie project at IndieGoGo. They have to hit $2.1 million to get the project funded, and they have three weeks to raise the rest of the funds. There is no time like the present!

Comments

Thanks for the heads up, Ed…

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

They want to tell the story of Kermit Gosnell…….

It still amazes me that this story needs to be told…..

With the big 3 media outlets in this country……

Electrongod on April 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I don’t mean to be rude, but honestly, who is it we think is going to watch this movie ? Does anyone honestly believe a single person that considers themselves “pro-choice” is going to watch a movie about a blood thirsty abortion doctor ?

Honestly, if you think that’s going to happen, you’re fooling yourself.

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Mr. Morrissey, thank you! I was soooo hoping that someone would think to put this up today.

The subject matter is filled with things of evil, and people naturally recoil from it…but it HAS to be told! Too many people have been deceived into believing that abortion is “good”. So many precious lives lost.

I hope people of faith will rally behind it!

lineholder on April 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I donated to the movie. I didn’t do it because I thought it would make “pro-choicers” watch the movie. But if it gets through to some uninformed people and some fence-sitters then it is worth it.

It’s also a matter of exposing the public to news that the major outlets have done their damnedest to ignore. That has to be countered, and this is as good a way to do it as any.

The media was all over the Jody Arias story instead. Don’t the innocent lives taken in this holocaust deserve to have their story told?

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Well said Pred.

In my early 20′s I was totally pro-choice..why? I wasn’t truly informed.

bazil9 on April 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Di duit! me fair lass.

I was pretty much non-committal up until the early 80s, but then, as I became more informed…

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

The “pro-choice” label has a wide spectrum. I suspect that they run from just not wanting to be accused of bossy to rabidly in favor of late-term abortion. You get the squishes strongly turned off to late-term abortion, you’ve made your point. You’ve turned the debate into who is really the group of zealots.

After all, why are so many abortions necessary when birth control is readily available in this country. Beyond instances arising when a woman might get pregnant when she has no reason to be on birth control–say, rape and incest–why do woman get away with the excuses of “I was careless” or “I forgot”?

By the way, women who aren’t crime victims and their sperm donors should be required to split the cost of the abortion. Woman can identify the donor, and it can be confirmed by DNA testing. If unable to pay, put a lifelong lien on their social security number. Why should the public pay for their “fun”?

BuckeyeSam on April 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I can’t believe no one has claim one in ten “be an extra” spots. I would love to be an extra in the film. Just saying.

BigGator5 on April 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Why is there are time limit on raising the funds?

xdwall on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Di duit!

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I hate to look stupid but…what is Di duit? :)

bazil9 on April 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Why is there are time limit on raising the funds?

xdwall on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Good question..was wondering that too.

bazil9 on April 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Wonder how hard it will be finding an actor willing to take on the role of Gosnell?

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I hate to look stupid but…what is Di duit? :)

bazil9 on April 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

It’s a greeting (Gaelic)–means hello, basically, but can be used for “good morning”, etc. to the best of my knowledge. I used to know a number of basic greetings and pleasantries in the ol’ lingo, but I’ve lost my handle on most of them.

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

=)

bazil9 on April 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I’ll recommend that “Obama look-alike” satan actor dude.
Snort.

pambi on April 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

lineholder on April 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I wish people would stop using euphamisms. You are either pro-abortion or anti-abortion.

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Why is there are time limit on raising the funds?

xdwall on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I’m going to do a story of the life and times of Ruprecht because my poor little pet worm who died in old age would want it that way. But I don’t have the money so I’m going to crowdfund the movie. I need 700,000 dollars to get it rolling.

… 6 years later, and I still haven’t raised enough money. But there it still sits, with a couple dollars in the coffer.

Time limits help weed out the bad ideas from the good ones.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

crankyoldlady on April 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Exactly. That’s why I had “pro-choicers” in quotes. They believe in choice all right–a singular choice, and it ain’t a life-giving choice.

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM

lineholder on April 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Oops!

To answer your question, not sure they’d try to. Documentary-style actually suits this better, especially if they’re willing to go back to the Mother’s Day Massacre of 1972

It would be an amazing story to tell!!!

lineholder on April 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

what’s worse that tanning salons are more tightly regulated than abortion clinics in some states, or that many people are just fine with that?

Oldtexasnavychief on April 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Why is there are time limit on raising the funds?

xdwall on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

They will return donations if they don’t meet their goal by the time limit. So, unlike for Ruprecht the pet worm, you might actually want to contribute to this cause.

ncinca on April 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Honestly, if you think that’s going to happen, you’re fooling yourself.

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

The McAleers are skilled storytellers that will make a quality film. This story needs to be told, because too many LIVs would be horrified if they knew. They just don’t know.

ncinca on April 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Best of luck to them.

Horatia on April 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

The way the nation is going how soon will it be legal for women to have post birth abortions? After all should not a woman have the choice? //s

garydt on April 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Predator is dead right; this project isn’t necessarily aimed at the pro-abortion types. Their minds are closed and locked into their faith and they aren’t interested in new facts or anyone else’s perspective.
This film is intended for those who still have some ability to doubt and learn from an evolving data set and a continuing debate.
But I hope it has an additional affect as well, and that would be to point a finger at the enablers of this monstrosity. The bureaucrats of the Pennsylvania Dept of Health who refused to even look at what was going on. The politicians who covered up for them, and lastly and probably most deservedly, the press who disgraced themselves so blatantly by systematically blanketing the entire atrocity with their silence.
To paraphrase a remark attributed to Einstien “There will always be bad men in this world, but the real evil are the good men who see evil and do nothing”

Lew on April 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM

nice, I wish I was able to spare something but I literally had nothing to spare.
so I gave a prayer hoping they got what they needed.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Honestly, if you think that’s going to happen, you’re fooling yourself.

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

So you were answered -Now you understand? If not read Lew’s 1118 am post.

CW on April 20, 2014 at 11:32 AM

B-b-b-but it’s just a local crime story!

John the Libertarian on April 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Why is there are time limit on raising the funds?

xdwall on April 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Considering the amount of time and preparation it takes to make a movie in the first place, I’d be has to do with the release date calendar – I’d want to see this movie released in early spring of 2016, right when the Dhims are ramping up their deceptive and divisive “War on Womyns” demagoguery campaign again. It would certainly have the capacity to change the conversation away from dhimmy talking points.

Harbingeing on April 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Female lives are aborted. Pro abort feminists …remember THAT.

CW on April 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Happy to say I donated, can’t wait to get my DVD.

NerwenAldarion on April 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Honestly, if you think that’s going to happen, you’re fooling yourself.

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

You ask a thoughtful question that deserves an answer.

When I was a teenager I was “pro-choice” because it sounded reasonable to me; who wouldn’t believe in the right of choice?

However there was a girl in our class that was passionate about the issue and although she was not disruptive she was persuasive. What “did it” for me was a picture of a day’s work at an abortion clinic in a book she had that I happened to pick up and read. It featured a trash can with a dozen perfectly formed babies.

That did it for me, I never forgot that picture. If my mind could be changed, then others can be to.

Finally, IMO justice demands that this movie be made, so it is never forgotten how easily the mantle of civilization can cover a horrific and inhumane practice.

itsspideyman on April 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I’m glad there are people in the world like these folks, willing to get the message out. God speed to them.

I’ll give.

avagreen on April 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Please post this on your facebook page.

katy the mean old lady on April 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I hope the movie includes a scene about what he fed the crabs in his crab box at Brigantine.

Akzed on April 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I don’t know why they need $2 million. That’s an extremely high budget for a documentary. I work in film and know many documentarians and dramatic filmmakers who’ve produced excellent films for less than half that.

rrpjr on April 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Oldtexasnavychief on April 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Holy cowabunga, I didn’t even know Texas had a Navy! Haven’t seen you around before. If you’re new, “Welcome aboard”. If your not, well, welcome aboard anyway.

Oldnuke on April 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Thanks Ed for posting this. I didn’t know there was a time limit either. Breitbart had a thread on this some time ago. Since the MSM isn’t covering this, that leaves the bloggers to do it. Can’t recall if some of the top sites are or not.

Some of my family members listen to AFR, American Famity Radio programs and they haven’t mentioned anything about this movie being made.

I’m on a budget also but can cut a corner or two somewhere.

An excerpt from their site:

Please get 10 of your family and friends to pledge $1.

Phone them up and tell them to go today to gosnellmovie.com and give just $1. We don’t want a big sum of money from them but we want a lot of people to donate. This will send a message to Hollywood and the media that they can no longer ignore.

I will be seeing some family members today and tomorrow and believe me they will give me more than a dollar & then I’ll add to it and send our donation in. That will be the easiest way for me.

I’m not above “demanding”, LOL

I’m also going to check out some of the Christian sites & make a phone call to a couple that I’m able to contact that way. Oh, and Churches too!!

bluefox on April 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Can the donations be anonymous or am I putting my career in academia in jeopardy?

motionview on April 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I just kicked in 25.00 to the cause. If there ever was a story that deserved to be told, this is it.

Conservalicious on April 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Abortion is never being banned anywhere in this country.

That’s all this is about. Socons are always convinced America is thisclose to doing it, and here is the thing that is the turning point.

Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Abortion is never being banned anywhere in this country.

Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I think they are budgeting a fair amount for legal…..
I imagine all the “pro-choice” creeps will come out to try and shut it down.

redguy on April 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Moesart

Because television program directors live to run made-for-youtube movies, lol.

xblade on April 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Awesome news. Will be donating to this soon

sadsushi on April 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

idiotic

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Abortion is never being banned anywhere in this country.

Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

In your own opinion. This is so much more. It’s the willingness to allow an atrocity to be performed in the shadow of law. The Gosnell case is as heinous a crime as there has ever existed in the United States. It’s greatest profanity is that it has been refused to be recognized by people as yourself for the crime against humanity that it is.

Perhaps you are right however. Perhaps there is no difference between Gosnell and any other abortionist.

itsspideyman on April 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Honestly, if you think that’s going to happen, you’re fooling yourself.

deadrody on April 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

There are millions of people who call themselves pro-life yet do absolutely nothing to help save children from this holocaust.

This film will move many of them to action.

itsnotaboutme on April 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Abortion is never being banned anywhere in this country.

Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Many British citizens said the same thing about slavery 200 years ago.

You ought to read about William Wilberforce, or watch the biographical film Amazing Grace.

itsnotaboutme on April 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM

And no, they don’t need 2M for a documentary in the era of Youtube. You guys are getting took. Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Maybe they know how much they need, and didn’t inform you. Maybe to get it into theaters, it would have to meet minimum standards above YouTube level.

Roger & Me – $160,000
Bowling for Columbine – $4,000,000
Fahrenheit 9/11 – $6,000,000
Fahrenhype 9/11 – $500,000
An Inconvenient Truth – Unknown.
Source: http://www.imdb.com/

I couldn’t find this on IMDB, but found it here.

Akzed on April 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Agree 100%.

cat_owner on April 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Moesart wouldn’t mind having 4 Kermit Gosnells in every city of 100,000 people or more. Just don’t touch his unholy grail.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM

predator on April 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Well said, predator. I was a rabid “pro-abort” in my teens/early 20′s. I didn’t know better. There are millions like I was that need information & the opportunity to overcome ignorance & the misinformation of feminism/socialism.

I am a proud day 2 donator. We need to start getting our message out & here’s a fantastic opportunity.

kim roy on April 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Abortion is never being banned anywhere in this country.
Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I agree; however, why not try to make it as ugly a choice as possible? Why not tell the public that abortion is an option, but this is what it is – death in unsanitary & hideous conditions with high risk.

One thing we are failing at is giving an easier solution. We need to make adoption a better choice & one that will make potential birth mothers comfortable with. Ennoble it, for a lack of a better word.

But pessimism & doing nothing will never solve the problem.

kim roy on April 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Kim Roy, you should write an article about that. Your pro-abort stance, your thought process, your reaction to the Pro Life crowd, and your transformation to the Light. It might could be compelling.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I’m sensing a wee bit of insincerity here. If I’m wrong I’m deeply sorry.

It’s not so much “pro-abort”, but anti rabid feminism/socialism, which peddle BS.

kim roy on April 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You’re sensing incorrectly, kim. I’m one of those “radical kooks” who is Pro Life in the case of “don’t murder the innocent to punish the criminal”, and you know what that means. I’m also a Christian Conservative who believes in the power of the Testimonial.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM

As my blogsite shows, I contributed to the movie. It doesn’t show I’m getting 10 DVDs in the mail once the movie is made. But I am.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM

My sincerest apologies.

Yes, I know what you mean and agree to a large extent, but we’ve become a disposable society to the point where it’s “easier” to abort than it is to adopt. We need to change this.

And 10 DVDs? Very nice. :)

kim roy on April 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM

No sweat, Kim. I’m a loud and proud attack dog. I can do sarcasm, and have done so on multiple occasions. I can do nuance, and have done so on multiple occasions. I just can’t do nuanced sarcasm. My fangs just glisten too much for it.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM

so I gave a prayer hoping they got what they needed.

dmacleo on April 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I have already given, but I will give a little more in your honor.

Fallon on April 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Done. Happy Easter, dmacleo.

Fallon on April 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM

OmahaConservative on April 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM

..Samuel Jackson?

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Moesart on April 20, 2014

…how old are you?…you aren’t old enough to have been a guard at the camps in the late 40′s…are you?

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM

“We Didn’t Know”

Disclaimer: I wrote the article.

John Hitchcock on April 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Abortion is never being banned anywhere in this country.

Moesart on April 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I’m sure many like you said the same thing about slavery, and segregation, and Civil Rights… all thing conservatives managed to get turned back.

dominigan on April 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM