A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers!

posted at 12:01 am on April 20, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

“Sunday Reflection” is a regular feature, looking at the specific readings used in today’s Mass in Catholic parishes around the world. The reflection represents only my own point of view, intended to help prepare myself for the Lord’s day and perhaps spark a meaningful discussionPrevious Sunday Reflections from the main page can be found here For previous Green Room entries, click here.

This morning’s Gospel reading is John 20:1–9:

On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we don’t know where they put him.” So Peter and the other disciple went out and came to the tomb. They both ran, but the other disciple ran faster than Peter and arrived at the tomb first; he bent down and saw the burial cloths there, but did not go in. When Simon Peter arrived after him, he went into the tomb and saw the burial cloths there, and the cloth that had covered his head, not with the burial cloths but rolled up in a separate place. Then the other disciple also went in, the one who had arrived at the tomb first, and he saw and believed. For they did not yet understand the Scripture that he had to rise from the dead.

This afternoon’s Gospel reading is Luke 24:13-35:

That very day, the first day of the week, two of Jesus’ disciples were going to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus, and they were conversing about all the things that had occurred. And it happened that while they were conversing and debating, Jesus himself drew near and walked with them, but their eyes were prevented from recognizing him. He asked them, “What are you discussing as you walk along?” They stopped, looking downcast. One of them, named Cleopas, said to him in reply, “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know of the things that have taken place there in these days?” And he replied to them, “What sort of things?” They said to him, “The things that happened to Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, how our chief priests and rulers both handed him over to a sentence of death and crucified him. But we were hoping that he would be the one to redeem Israel; and besides all this, it is now the third day since this took place. Some women from our group, however, have astounded us: they were at the tomb early in the morning and did not find his body; they came back and reported that they had indeed seen a vision of angels who announced that he was alive. Then some of those with us went to the tomb and found things just as the women had described, but him they did not see.”

And he said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are! How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets spoke! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them what referred to him in all the Scriptures. As they approached the village to which they were going, he gave the impression that he was going on farther. But they urged him, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening and the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them. And it happened that, while he was with them at table, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them. With that their eyes were opened and they recognized him, but he vanished from their sight.

Then they said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he spoke to us on the way and opened the Scriptures to us?” So they set out at once and returned to Jerusalem where they found gathered together the eleven and those with them who were saying, “The Lord has truly been raised and has appeared to Simon!” Then the two recounted what had taken place on the way and how he was made known to them in the breaking of bread.

The staff at Hot Air wishes a blessed and happy Easter and Passover to all of our readers!

With each year, I look forward to the Easter Triduum with more and more enthusiasm. This year, it hits home just a little more, after our pilgrimage to the Holy Land and our visits to the historical sites of the Passion and Resurrection. We walked along the Via Dolorosa, celebrated Mass at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre built above Golgotha and the tomb, visited Emmaus, Bethany, and the site of the upper room where the Last Supper took place. All during this pilgrimage, we had a very real sense of walking with the Lord.

Of course, we didn’t get the same sense of it that the two disciples had on the road to Emmaus in today’s afternoon Gospel. In the morning Gospel, Mary Magdalene finds the tomb empty and runs to get the soon-to-be Apostles. Peter and John run back to the tomb and confirm that Jesus’ body is gone, but they still did not understand what that meant — although they took hope in it, and believed.

The two disciples in Luke’s narrative still haven’t quite reached that state yet. They appear “downcast” and defeated, mourning over the loss of their teacher and friend, when they meet the stranger on the road to Emmaus. They do not recognize the risen Jesus, which can be puzzling to the rest of us. After all, they had walked with Jesus on many a road before then, and had last seen Him just a few days earlier. Why did it take them so long to realize He was among them?

One hint might come in the Gospel reading from the Easter Vigil, Matthew 28:1-10. Mary Magdalene and “the other Mary” approach the tomb the first time to complete the burial preparations, and are stopped by an angel. As so often happens in angelic appearances, the two Marys are comforted with this exhortation — “Do not be afraid.” The manifestation of angels are not the cute Cupids of popular imagination, but strike awe and fear into human hearts, which almost always requires the beginning of the encounter to be comforting. This happened to Mary at the Annunciation, and to the shepherds in the field at Jesus’ birth, and even with Peter, James and John at the Transfiguration, among other such instances.

Curiously, it happens here again as well. Jesus appears to the two women after the angel’s announcement and also starts by comforting them, “Do not be afraid.” Part of that could be that the very act of resurrection could have stricken them with fear (and understandably so), but they were present for Lazarus’ resurrection less than two weeks before this takes place, and John records no such reaction of fear. The need for Jesus to comfort the women indicates that his resurrected and perfected state renders him much differently to human eyes, and that his power as the Son of God has been made manifest in his presence.

Yet “that very day,” Jesus appears on the road to Emmaus and the two disciples not only don’t see that power made manifest, but don’t even recognize Jesus at all. They had given up hope, even if they still loved their teacher and master and mourned his passing. Jesus keeps his two friends engaged without revealing His identity, drawing out their mourning and reinvigorating them with His teaching nonetheless. They become so excited by His interpretations that they invite Him to stay with them for dinner — and finally recognize His power and His identity in the breaking of the bread. Hope restored, Jesus then leaves them to continue His journey.

We all walk the road to Emmaus, especially at this time of year, mourning the loss of our Lord and yet burning in our hearts for His presence. We come together to break the bread and commune with Jesus. The Resurrection is the focus of Easter, but it’s the road to Emmaus that models our lives as Christians in the post-Resurrection world.

And for me, personally, I feel as though Emmaus models my entire faith journey in life. I have walked along the road of doubt and discouragement, shrugging my shoulders at hope as I rely only on limited understanding of the Word. As I have progressed, I have found my heart burning for more, and feeling His presence growing as I walk. That isn’t a stumble-free journey, of course. There are times when I have wandered off the path a bit, and there are times when I have felt myself approaching the journey as a tourist or as a study project rather than a pilgrimage. (Heck, even on my actual pilgrimage, I had to fight those impulses. You don’t want to know how many pictures I took.)

When I feel as though I have lost the path, or have lost my spiritual connection to it, two things sustain me and return me to the pilgrimage: the Word of God and the Eucharist. Sometimes, it’s difficult to recognize the presence of Christ along the way, but when that happens, I know where to find that burning desire in my heart. And thankfully, I have been blessed with wonderful traveling companions along the way that have helped to remind me to seek Him out, even when the path is rocky — no one more than my wife.

He is risen! I wish all of you a blessed journey along the road to Emmaus.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I have friends whom I have known many years. The more time I spend with them, the better I understand them, and the more I learn about them, the better I am at predicting how they will respond in given circumstances.

Knowing God is the same. The more you read the Bible, the more familiar you become with God’s voice. You learn what his character is like and how he would respond in various situations. You learn this, by learning how he did respond to situations that are documented in his word.

We are told in his word, that he is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow. Thus we know, that if he did something in the past in a certain situation, that’s how he would respond today in the same situation.

oscarwilde on April 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Night all… Have to work in the morning. Have a good rest of your evening!

PaperGirl on April 21, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Just cuz I hate to be the last, rarely-read post on a page … LOL.

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Boy, howdy, you’re right, dear chesse-smeared bucket head. xoxo

Those of whom you speak are the wolves, and man, they’re ravenous !!
Not to mention plentiful !!
The Word is to be our Plumb Line, since that is HIM !

Have spent several years on my face over the state of the body who so willingly accepts these falsehoods.
His response ?? …
‘They have lost connection with the Head, as if suffering a ‘spinal cord injury’, that renders them helpless, paralyzed.
“What/how would you have me pray, Lord ?? ”
“That I will rise with healing !!”

My daily prayer, I tell ya.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 1:56 AM

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Lol…I just went back to read what I missed =) night pambi!

PaperGirl on April 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Boy, howdy, you’re right, dear chesse-smeared bucket head. xoxo

*sigh* dangit SparkPlug. :)

His response ?? …
“What/how would you have me pray, Lord ?? ”
“That I will rise with healing !!”

My daily prayer, I tell ya.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Really interesting, mermaid.

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Pssst .. Intercessors can always use intercession on their behalf, too.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Good night PaperGirl!

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Good night everyone, I think it is time I take my leave for the night.

oscarwilde on April 21, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Good night Oscar!

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 2:09 AM

Blessed rest, PaperGirl, and Oscar.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Started laughing so hard, I hadda, um, use the ladies’ room !!
The little knook below our stairs was a potty ! !

PaperGirl on April 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Loving this, already, although the iOS 7.1 versions of my old standby apps are a bit much to get used to.
Safari, for one, is totally new to me .. Learning.
Hey, I’m old !!

pambi on April 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Pambi, I missed the above. If yur still here I have a comment…

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM

BTW …
I strongly advise all reading that, to check the Word against it !
Seriously.
:-)

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Still here .. Can’t believe it, myself, actually … LOL.
‘Sup ??

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:16 AM

oscarwilde on April 21, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Agreed. It’s hard to hang out with David and not get a sense of who God is. For example, in a narrower sense.

Another thing. One of the biggest “revelation” things I’ve experienced was during an argument with God about the Bible. :) I was ticked. There’s something sitting there, that night, as an obvious parenthetical. It got copied in — and it’s wrong. And I was tired of the emotional wrestling match where I was trying to give due deference to the Bible, and unyieldingly trying to tell the truth. I was pretty happily entertaining the idea of sitting the thing aside. But at one point, God “said” to me, how do you suggest they learn about me?

This had not occurred to me. Exactly. It was a completely different point of view. I told him, though — though I knew it was coming because he doesn’t do that if nothing’s coming :) — “Ask you! All they have to do is ask!”

And then it was on.

I won’t record the movie he played on my imagination, but when it was over, it was pretty clear to me that a great many people would no more stomp up to the throne of God and ask him a (seemingly insignificant) question than they would write the President a letter and ask him if they should choose college a or college b.

The Bible might be the only way some people can get to know God. And if a deeper or separate intimacy is possible, the Bible might be the only way some people can get a toe wet — something they can do privately, before it ever enters their minds to approach him.

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 2:19 AM

That’s good to hear & know . . . but there’s nothing … wrong with honest questions of and to the LORD, ever !

But that doesn’t mean you won’t run into other Christian believers who will get mad at honest questions, because they know, by God, that you and I are WRONG for asking such questions.

listens2glenn on April 21, 2014 at 12:54 AM

“No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.” -Charles P. Steinmetz

non-nonpartisan on April 21, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Wanted to comment that I was the third of four girls in my family. My poor brother was the oldest. My oldest sister had the persona of the little dark haired girl in the Shirley Temple movies…wish I could remember her name.
She drove the rest of us nuts because of that behavior. Also, I respected my grandfather a lot but it was my Ukrainian grandmother’s arms I couldn’t wait to be in.

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Truth…
Our utter freedom in Him was only consummated by His revelation that developing a personal relationship was what was needed, and that He’d had a very tough time getting through the RELIGION barrier.

So MANY folks simply cannot grasp (without His help) that they CAN talk to Him, ask Him questions, expect an answer etc… this is the ‘spirit of religion’, of Mt. Sinai. Totally unapproachable.
Mt Zion, via the cross and EASTER renders Him accessible, loving, caring, PATIENT, etc.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:34 AM

On topic

Another bizarre Obama holiday address…
In his Easter Address this year Barack Obama reminds us that the great religions, including Islam, teach us to “love our neighbors as we love ourselves.”
From the White House website:

Hi, everybody. For millions of Americans, this time of year holds great meaning…

…For me, and for countless other Christians, Holy Week and Easter are times for reflection and renewal. We remember the grace of an awesome God, who loves us so deeply that He gave us his only Son, so that we might live through Him. We recall all that Jesus endured for us – the scorn of the crowds, the agony of the cross – all so that we might be forgiven our sins and granted everlasting life. And we recommit ourselves to following His example, to love and serve one another, particularly “the least of these” among us, just as He loves every one of us.

The common thread of humanity that connects us all – not just Christians and Jews, but Muslims and Hindus and Sikhs – is our shared commitment to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. To remember, I am my brother’s keeper. I am my sister’s keeper. Whatever your faith, believer or nonbeliever, there’s no better time to rededicate ourselves to that universal mission…

This week a girls’ seminary in Pakistan named its library after Osama bin Laden.

obama doesn’t give a damn about his neighbors, his brother, his aunt…she died last week…he never attended her funeral….

This is the biggest bullchitter that world ever knew.

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2014 at 1:29 AM

“Islam, a religion of love, not oppression and violence.” “Christianity is socialist.” From where does he pull such nonsense? He not only is unsurpassed when it comes to BSing, he also is when it comes to being in love with one’s own fanciful thoughts.

non-nonpartisan on April 21, 2014 at 2:39 AM

I just heard a quote today, but having a senior moment ..
Sumpin, like .. Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words.

:-)

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:41 AM

non-nonpartisan on April 21, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Utter blasphemer.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Truth…

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Also really interesting, mermaid. :)

. . . Meh, I’m going to go pray. My heart’s a little heavy, I’m worried about Wilde, I miss Sophie . . .

. . . then I should probably do some work.

<– Now wandering around, looking for shoes.

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Axe on April 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Have no fears, thou art esteemed in His eyes.
He knows and hears you .. And laughs alot, too.
You make Him smile.

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Think spring, y’all !!
(Yes, I took this pic from our DR window).
Enjoy !! (Might have to DL to see, sorry)

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 2:53 AM

Yikes !
Tomorrow’s a work day !
Means I need at least ONE eyeball open far enough to construct a somewhat healthy lunch for DaBoss, @ 6am !
Just know this ..
God loves His HotAirians, He really does.

Nite, y’all !

pambi on April 21, 2014 at 3:10 AM

Good night Miss Pambi!

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 3:12 AM

kcewa, thank you for being the Easter DJ.

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Sorry about your cat Oscar.

crankyoldlady on April 21, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Liberal Democrat War on Woman:

Six-month pregnant journalist taken to hospital for treatment after pro-Kremlin political leader ordered his aides to ‘violently rape her’ during press conference when she asked about sanctions against Ukraine
**********************************************************************

Vladimir Zhironovsky launched foul tirade at a press conference after pregnant reporter asked him about Ukraine sanctions
Told two male aides: ‘When I say, you run to her and violently rape her’
Reporter Stella Dubovitskayais is now being treated in hospital for shock
During vile rant, founder of Liberal Democratic Party called another reporter an ‘interfering lesbian’
He is now facing legal action from reporter’s employer Russia Today
Tension continues to rise in Ukraine – with three reported dead today

By Will Stewart

Published: 18:50 GMT, 20 April 2014 | Updated: 07:04 GMT, 21 April 2014
***********************************************************************

=============

Pro Kremlin politician asks aides to rape pregnant journalist

canopfor on April 21, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Retweeted by TDF
MFA Russia ‏@mfa_russia 2h

Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak on “Fox News Sunday” to discuss the crisis in Ukraine (Video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a24tZbUxx34 … @RusEmbUSA
==================================

VIDEO:(12:08)
Sergey Kislyak Fox News Sunday. Russian Ambassador On Ukraine

Published on 20 Apr 2014
************************

Subscribe! Fox’s Wallace Grills Russian Amb. in Heated Interview: ‘How Far Is Putin Willing to Go?’ A very incredulous Chris Wallace took on Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak on Fox News Sunday as the ambassador attempted to squirm out of questions of whether Russia would actively enforce its side of this week’s Geneva agreement and disarm pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, and whether Russian President Vladimir Putin’s actions in the area represented an aggressive, Soviet-era mindset bent on territorial expansion. “I’m asking you a direct question,” Wallace said, after several of Kislyak’s attempts to deflect discussion of separatists onto anti-Russian protestors in Kiev. “One, can you get the Russian militias to stand down; two, will you?” “We are going to do whatever is necessary to see the Geneva agreement implemented,” Kislyak said, before arguing that Russia wanted to see pro-independence forces in West disarmed as well. “But it has to be a process that includes allAnd I would underline once again, the word all militias must be disarmed.” Kislyak also denounced western-imposed sanctions that are beginning to leaden the Russian economy. “We do not believe that the language of sanctions is a good one to talk in the twentieth century,” he said. “You cannot work with Russia and try to achieve anything with us through the language of sanctions. Third, the sanctions that have been introduced certainly a significant gesture of the revival of the Cold War mentality. But, it’s Russia. It’s a very solid state, well-to-do country. We can withstand pressure.” Wallace was flabbergasted that Kislyak accused the U.S. of reviving Cold War tactics, and asked if the entirety of Russian action in Crimea was evidence of the same. RELATED: Ukrainian PM: ‘Crystal Clear’ Russia is World’s Primary Threat “Oh no,” Kislyak said. “You are talking about Crimea like it is a piece of real estate that we annexed. It’s not. There are 2.2 million people living there. The future of Crimea was decided by Crimeans themselves.” “Under the thumb of pro-Russian separatists and Russian troops!” Wallace objected. “How far is President Putin prepared to go?” “We are not going anywhere,” Kislyak said. “We just want Ukrainians to find a way of dialogue, a new constitution, that would help them live in a country that is democratic, that supports the rights of all the ethnic groups, including certain Russians. And we want to have a friendly neighbor. Because for us all, irrespective of what is happening, Ukrainians are just our brothers.” “Just your brothers?” Wallace asked, fairly incredulously. “I am Ukrainian myself,” the ambassador replied with a cheshire grin. “So is my family, historically,” Wallace said. Watch the clip below, via Fox News:Sergey Kislyak Fox joins chris wallace on News Sunday. Russian Amassador talks Ukraine, leaflets and more. We’ll discuss the way forward for Ukraine exclusively with Amb. Sergey Kislyak, Russia’s Ambassador to the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry helped negotiate a tentative agreement between Russia and Ukraine, hoping to ease tensions between the two countries. But pro-Russian militiamen in eastern Ukraine have shown no signs of relinquishing their control of government buildings.
=============================================================

canopfor on April 21, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Rooskie Bears off of Japan’s AirSpace for the upteenth time,..and Chinese
Bears sniffing around Okinawa:
==============================

Japan Increasing Its Surveillance of Chinese Military Activities Around Island of Okinawa

April 21, 2014
Japan Steps Up Surveillance Posture Against China
*************************************************

====================================

Kyodo News International April 18, 2014 9:17pm
Japan scrambles fighters against Russian bombers for 6 days in row
******************************************************************

canopfor on April 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM

NKGoon Nukey Test??:

North and South Korea tensions
3h
North Korea has increased activities at its underground nuclear site, military sources say, in what could be preparations for another atomic test – @YonhapNews
read more on yonhapnews.co.kr

canopfor on April 21, 2014 at 6:05 AM

I hope everyone here had a happy Easter and that you all continue to have a most blessed Easter season!

Shump on April 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM

…where is kj going?

KOOLAID2 on April 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Back at you Dark Current!

Say on a side note I have a question:

I assume Chinese is not your native tongue and am wondering if you had a hard time learning it coming from a background of x basic characters you put together => words which you put together => sentences vs. 1 chinese character = 1 “concept”/thing. Just curious having dealt with lots of Chinese, most highly educated, that nearly all say learning English is extremely difficult.

Bubba Redneck on April 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Thanks!

It does take some effort to learn the thousands of characters used in written Chinese. I had a huge head start since I can read Japanese, which uses thousands of Chinese characters intermixed with phonetic script. The hardest part of learning Chinese for me was getting the tones correct in the spoken language. (For example, ‘buy’ is mǎi, with a falling then rising tone, while ‘sell’ is mài, with a falling tone. If you don’t get the tone right you could be saying the opposite of what you intend.)

It’s easy to learn the tiny character set in the Latin alphabet, but English has a much more difficult and inconsistent grammar than Chinese. That’s usually the biggest hurdle for Chinese learning English.

DarkCurrent on April 21, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Pro Kremlin politician asks aides to rape pregnant journalist

canopfor on April 21, 2014 at 5:49 AM

I’d like to believe this will make it to ALL of the Radio talk shows, today.
Also, I notice it didn’t take long for that video to be taken down, either.

listens2glenn on April 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM

DarkCurrent on April 21, 2014 at 8:21 AM

…Chinese has to be one of the hardest languages to learn…I have friends who have attempted it (some of their kids are taking it )…so kudos to you! (Dark DipShit (:->)

KOOLAID2 on April 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM

bazil9 on April 21, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Hehehe… there’s no doubt you’re the coolest. My “babe” is 37. I could swear she was just learning to ride a bike yesterday…

31giddyup on April 21, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Sorry-I passed out last night, with laptop. =)

Thx Rhonda! You have earned my fave ‘noobie’ award. lol
(flattery will get you everywhere) ;)

I know…time sure does fly by doesn’t it? Feels like yesterday I was riding my big wheel. haha.
You’re ‘babe’ is lucky to have you. =)

bazil9 on April 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Christ Jesus has risen indeed!!! The Christians Blessed Hope !!! pilgrimbill10

pilgrimbill10 on April 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM

While Johnny Depp’s latest movie “Transcendence” bombed this weekend, faith-based film “Heaven is for Real” soared, scoring $21.5 million upon opening.

jake-the-goose on April 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Happy Easter Everyone! I hope you all had a great day.

dogsoldier on April 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Hey, Koolaid2! I’m around. I just did not think it was appropriate to post today’s Blog on Ed’s Easter Thread. As you well know, just click my name to read it.

Happy Easter, dogsoldier! The same to you and yours, my friend.

kingsjester on April 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

jake-the-goose on April 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I saw Heaven is for Real on Good Friday. Great movie!

bazil9 on April 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Just now getting to the thread (spent Easter at church and with family) and haven’t read anything but the final comments page; however, I did have this thought to share, although I can’t claim the insight as my own:

Most of Jesus’s disciples knew him only after his ministry started.
It is clear from the scriptural accounts that he endured a lot of physical, emotional, and spiritual stress in those years.
Most of us reflect that kind of burden in our appearance — we can seem visibly “aged” — and Jesus was just as mortal as we are.
After his Atonement, death, and Resurrection, his burden was lifted; and the glorified body of Christ simply looked younger, stronger and unstressed.
The two disciples really didn’t recognize him, because he didn’t look like the man they had known before.

AesopFan on April 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Confirmed Catholic as of Saturday’s Easter Vigil!

Thank you, secular progressives, for the steady outrage you built in me, for your assistance in seeing who was standing up to you with clarity, steadfastness and truthfulness. All as The Lord had His hand on my arm for years, gently guiding me to this point.

I don’t feel like it’s the finish line; more the starting point. (I chose “Better Late Than Never” Augustine as my Confirmation Saint.)

I appreciate this weekly column, Ed. And you’re right; whenever the fire needs stoked, return to prayer and The Word.

FishingwFredo on April 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM

“Were not our hearts burning …?”

FishingwFredo on April 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

From age to age He gathers to Himself a people…

unclesmrgol on April 22, 2014 at 1:08 AM

canopfor on April 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM

If the Japanese launch a Standard Missile against an NK ballistic one, they want to get telemetry.

unclesmrgol on April 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Happy belated Easter wishes to all at HA! Hoping yours was a lovely holiday. ; )

Bmore on April 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM