Rand Paul to Harry Reid: Simmer down with the “domestic terrorist” rhetoric about Bundy’s supporters

posted at 6:01 pm on April 18, 2014 by Allahpundit

A postscript to Ed’s item earlier. “I don’t think calling people names is going to calm this down,” says Paul. “I think it’s liable to stir it up.” That’s the point, though, right? That’s what Harry Reid does, especially in election years. He’s a sh*t-stirrer, regardless of who suffers from it. Sometimes that means smearing Mitt Romney as a tax cheat, sometimes it means conducting a daily Two Minutes Hate against the Koch brothers on the Senate floor. There have always been two theories about this. One is that he simply enjoys fighting dirty and is secure enough in his seat that he can afford to be indifferent to criticism. He’s a honey badger, and honey badger don’t care. The other theory is that his demagoguery is calculated for electoral gain, i.e. he chooses a target and subject which he thinks Democrats can exploit for votes (and money) and then does his best to create something combustible from it. In this case, it might be literally combustible. Honey badger don’t care. Senate seats are what’s really important.

Meanwhile, it’s interesting that Rand Paul’s the only major presidential contender to touch this subject so far. (Huckabee has too but he’s less likely to run than Paul is.) You can understand why the others are reluctant: Bundy’s said “I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing,” a position that’s out of the mainstream by both GOP and tea-party standards, and his supporters do in fact include some bona fide militia types. Potentially there’s a lot more to be lost here politically as a candidate by taking a strong stand on his behalf than there is to be gained — especially for Paul, who’s already destined to be attacked as a kook in both the primaries and the general election if he’s nominated. (The Free Beacon has a new attack along those lines today, in fact.) He does a solid job here, though, emphasizing that his first concern is peaceful resolution of the standoff and calling for the feds to transfer more of their land holdings to the states to avoid situations like this. That’s a boutique but appealing straing of federalism; even lefties could get behind the idea of selling federal property in the name of raising revenue. Expect Rubio, Cruz, and anyone else in the presumptive field to follow Paul’s lead on this when some reporter finally corners them with a question.

Comments

He should point out the obvious, the little folks lack the wherewithal to hire a lobbying firm to make the problem go away.

rob verdi on April 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM

It doesn’t matter what Bundy says, that is the problem with candidates, they only want to be involved with what gets them votes.

Bundy is a bit nuts, but the over reaction by the government is worse.

The two sides need to be reconciled…the BLM needs to be reigned in and Bundy needs to follow the law.

right2bright on April 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Bundy’s said “I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing,”

I’m pretty sure that Bundy was just trying to say that he doesn’t recognize the federal jurisdiction over the land in question.

TarheelBen on April 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM

How about talking to Harry Reid about this domestic terrorism, which he had a big money grubbing hand in orchestrating, Rand Paul? And don’t pussy foot around with the disgusting little fascist either.

Sheriff Mack: federal snipers at Bundy ranch are mercenaries, hit men
In an interview with TPN’s Dylan Scott Wednesday, April 16, 2014, Richard Mack, former Arizona county sheriff and founder of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA), said:

“One of our CSPOA members who was there earlier and got there before I did was phoning me and telling me that they were going to be killed. The federal snipers, several of them — I don’t know if you know this — but they were paid mercenaries. They’re contractors. They’re paid hit men.

He saw all the equipment and all the military weaponry that they had, and then he said, ‘Sheriff, they warned us that they were going to arrest us. Then they warned us that they were going to shoot us. I’m calling to tell you that they’re going to shoot us.’ He’s a 15-year law enforcement veteran that was telling me this. He said, ‘Please tell my wife that I love her, and I hope to see you later, but I don’t think so.’

I, at that time, went around the two lanes of traffic onto the side of the road, which is illegal to do, and I turned on my flashers. I buzzed it up there, and I got there right after that part finished, where my guy was that called me. The sheriff had just left, and he was the one that I think made a big difference.

VorDaj on April 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM

The only domestic terrorist mentioned in this article is Harry Reid.

edgarthered on April 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM

This is such crap, if they would have left Bundy alone we would never had heard any of this. There were some 60 ranchers at one time there, now 1. I bet the federal government can’t find most of its land much less care if some cattle are grazing on it. This must be a move by PETA in conjunction with the feds. They get rid of all the beef, and we are forced to become vegans (Indian word for bad hunter). The loss of red meat in our system destroys our brains and we become libruls.

Sven on April 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Reid sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic. His rhetoric is not so much for public consumption as it is for his rabid demented leftwing constituents who need have their paranoia stroked.

Purple Velvet Pimp on April 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM

“Boot on the throat” is a fairly common response for our Narcissist-in-Chief.

Reid is just staying true that pattern of behavior coming from the top.

He pales in comparison to Obama.

lineholder on April 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM

He has shown a small amount of courage while the others have shown none.

These idiots don’t have to defend Bundy, if that’s what they are so damned afraid of, all the have to do is attack dirty money grubbing Reid, and Obama’s and Reid’s BLM SS terrorists with their hired mercenary snipers. What the hell is so hard about this?

VorDaj on April 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Does anyone know what the rest of the states look like as far as the feds charging grazing fees? Do they charge ranchers everywhere in the US grazing fees or is this an isolated case?

Sven on April 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Hey the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers can call anybody a domestic terrorist and y’all can do diddly squat about it , because ….racism !

burrata on April 18, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I wish they’d both shut up. The more I hear from either, the less I like him.

flataffect on April 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Democrats play hard ball. Republicans play nice. Can no one rip Harry Reid a new a-hole. Is there no one? He’s one of the most despicable people in America, and all we can to is try to calm him down.

Dongemaharu on April 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM

How about talking to Harry Reid about this domestic terrorism, which he had a big money grubbing hand in orchestrating, Rand Paul? And don’t pu—ssy foot around with the disgusting little fascist either.

Sheriff Mack: federal snipers at Bundy ranch are mercenaries, hit men

VorDaj on April 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM

(Curious picture with the article):

What if Bundy Ranch Were Owned by a Bunch of Black People?

davidk on April 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Where is Sarah Palin? We need a national figure with some testosterone to slam it to the fascists Reid, Obama and their mercenary sniper hiring terrorist BLM.

VorDaj on April 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Senate seats are what’s really important.

Senate seats. It’s what’s for dinner.

davidk on April 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Reid is intentionally smearing people. He is a deceitful man.

oldennis on April 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM

they are domestic terrorists and so are his supporters with the guns aimed at the government.

jim56 on April 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM

(From the other thread)

Del Dolemonte on April 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM

VorDaj on April 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM

There were a few youtube videos posted over the weekend that showed one BLM sniper @ Bundy Ranch who had previously appeared in some PBS show about special ops guys in Afghanistan.
That guy is a skinny dude with a beard and wears a baseball cap backwards.
I wish I had saved those 2 vids.

burrata on April 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Sven on April 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM

My question is why does the Government own 78% of the land in Nevada when they are 117 trillion in debt? Don’t you think they can sell some of it?

Brock Robamney on April 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Weak stuff, Rand. The Left goes after us like rabid dogs and this is the best we can do?

Sad and pathetic.

rrpjr on April 18, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Rand Paul acting reasonable and presidential, once again.

BTW, I love the line, “Don’t fish like water?”

Amjean on April 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Remember when that AM radio guy said “slut”? Now THAT was bad.

rogerb on April 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Can anyone that screid represents, not be appalled by him? Do they understand, it could be them next? How in the Lord’s name does he not get called out on this shiite by these same people? Oh, wait. Never-mind!

LastRonin on April 18, 2014 at 6:49 PM

right2bright on April 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM

You are wrong! He was there first. The Feds changed the law to benefit them. Would you say that all the laws that were changed or overturned would’ve happened if no-one defied them, in the first place? You know, back of the bus, and all. Is this still America?

LastRonin on April 18, 2014 at 6:57 PM

To all that say we must follow the law. What do you say about unjust law that was passed to benefit the ‘law maker’ that passed the law? Should we, as Americans, lay down? Tell me, if that happened in the past, what do you think America would look like today?

LastRonin on April 18, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Bundy is a bit nuts, but the over reaction by the government is worse.

right2bright on April 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I can agree with a lot of this.

But I’d say the BLM needs to be first reigned in — followed by something like returning to the states virtually all the land that pointless Bureau has seized since its 1946 inception and then disbanding, or at least dismantling, the BLM. Then I’d say revoke many of the federal laws Bundy is required to follow. At that point, sure, I’m on board: Bundy needs to follow the law.

Lolo on April 18, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Annnyhoo, has PETA protested BLM killing Bundy’s cattle ,
just for kicks ?
Haven’t seen those lettuce covered ugly shemales @ any intersection yet !

burrata on April 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM

“Militia types”?? Unless someone repealed the 2nd amendment today, all able-bodies man (and women) are militia types. You bloggers need to find a different word to describe the slightly cooky Gary Busse In The Woods type from the real meaning of militia.

I hear there are a couple of ghey “slurs” available now since everyone has accepted teh ghey as perfectly normal.

#BuckFarack

#gheythread

Nutstuyu on April 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Oh, and “reined in.”

Lolo on April 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Oh, and “reined in.”

Lolo on April 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

It is about time someone noticed this //

koaiko on April 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM

However, the great group of bombers, murderers, rapists, trespassers, thieves, assaulters, and poopers that was Occupy ????? were true patriots.

jukin3 on April 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Oh, and “reined in.”

Lolo on April 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

It is about time someone noticed this //

koaiko on April 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM

One of my pet peeves.

slickwillie2001 on April 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

(Curious picture with the article):

What if Bundy Ranch Were Owned by a Bunch of Black People?

davidk on April 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

That Slate guy is a complete moron and a racist ahole:

Finally, I can’t help but wonder how conservatives would react if these were black farmers—or black anyone—defending “their” land against federal officials. Would Fox News applaud black militiamen aiming their guns at white bureaucrats?

slickwillie2001 on April 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM

That Slate guy is a complete moron and a racist ahole:

slickwillie2001 on April 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM

That picture they used ain’t even in the desert southwest.

davidk on April 18, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Annnyhoo, has PETA protested BLM killing Bundy’s cattle ,
just for kicks ?
Haven’t seen those lettuce covered ugly shemales @ any intersection yet !

burrata on April 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM

davidk on April 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM

The Bundys should sue Greasy Fingers Harry for libel. No immunity as he was not on the senate floor.

VorDaj on April 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Nidal Hassan – Work Place Violence
Cliven Bundy – Domestic Terrorist

Something is so wrong there.

2nd Ammendment Mother on April 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

The Congress seems to ignore the nose on their face. Obama wanted a civilian army, from his speech on the road to the WH. He’s building it and many thought the billions of hollow point ammo, illegal for military use was a farce. Here’s a partial list:

The U.S. Department of Education
The Bureau of Land Management (200 uniformed law enforcement rangers and 70 special agents)
The U.S. Department of the Interior
The U.S. Postal Inspection Service (with an armed uniformed division of 1.000)
The National Park Service (made up of NPS protection park rangers and U.S. Park Police officers that operate independently)
The Environmental Protection Agency (200 special agents)
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (224 special agents)
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
That’s right, NOAA — the folks who forecast the weather, monitor the atmosphere and keep tabs on the oceans and waterways — has its own law enforcement division. It has a budget of $65 million and consists of 191 employees, including 96 special agents and 28 enforcement officers who carry weapons.
What say you Congressman?

mixplix on April 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Thank you, Mr. Paul!

Sherman1864 on April 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

2nd Ammendment Mother on April 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Amen

notropis on April 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I haven’t been following this story too closely, to be honest, but what does ‘Endangered Species’ have to do with this? Were the cattle trampling on some dodo birds or something?

Look, if a species can’t hold it’s own, then it needs to be endangered.

Oh yeah, and SCREW THE FEDS!

WhatSlushfund on April 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM

its worse than that.

“The most complete data is from the Beaver Dam Mountains. Woodbury and Hardy reported a tortoise population density of 150 per square mile in 1948. BLM reduced cattle grazing a few years later and eliminated cattle in 1970. Coombs reported a tortoise density of 39 per square mile in 1974. In these 26 years cattle use was reduced 100 percent and tortoise numbers were reduced 74 percent.

“These tortoises were doing so poorly a veterinarian, Dr. Jarchow, was consulted. He reported all six specimens were suffering from osteoporosis caused by a protein deficiency in their diet. Dr. Jarchow examined five specimens from the same mountains that shared their range with cattle. He reported these specimens were all healthy and well nourished.

“The historical record proves conclusively that tortoise thrive when cattle are on the range with them and without cattle grazing they are always malnourished and unhealthy and their numbers plummet.

Look, if a species can’t hold it’s own, then it needs to be endangered.

WhatSlushfund on April 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Its status is “threatened” not “endangered” and it would do far better with Bundy’s cattle around than it will without them.

Which of course explains why the feds sent armed troopers to save the Tortoises they are also busy killing.

sharrukin on April 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

It’s because one of Harry’s crooked deals is involved.

NOTHING to do with China, as I tried to tell everyone on the internet earlier, but no one was listening. Perhaps another solar project, BUT there are two housing developments in the area owned by Reid cronies who got waivers for killing tortoises, and early in the stand-off I read somewhere that another close development being proposed is another Reid pal.

But there is no reason at all for both Reid AND his son to come out with statements about this if they aren’t involved somehow. And they are as crooked as the union mobsters they run with.

Adjoran on April 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Bundy’s said “I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing,”

TarheelBen on April 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM

…I was a little uncomfortable with that little sound bite!…but my bride said what you said…he does come from a different background and circumstances.

KOOLAID2 on April 18, 2014 at 9:14 PM

The fact Rand Paul is one of the first to speak about this and has done so in a measured and thoughtful manner speaks volumes regarding his candidacy and the others.

uatu1878 on April 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

sharrukin on April 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Wait wait wait wait, wha??? Are you serious?

You’re telling me that all of his is about tortoises? TORTOSES? They’re among the dumbest creatures on the planet short of fish or insects.

WhatSlushfund on April 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Harry Reid has done more damage to the Republic and the Constitution than all the protesters at the Bundy ranch combined.

justbob223 on April 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

No. The Desert Tortoise is just the excuse for the land grab.

Its about Environmental Mitigation.

Gold Butte is where Bundy’s cattle graze.

Regional Mitigation Strategy for the Dry Lake Solar Energy. March 2014

Step 1: Select Mitigation Action(s) and Location(s): As described in Section 2.8, the recommended mitigation actions/location are: (1) increase law enforcement and monitoring activities to halt the trend in degradation of resource values; and (2) restore disturbed areas in the Gold Butte ACEC

So the BLM stormtroopers went in.

sharrukin on April 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Yes. Historically, ranchers have been free to graze their cattle on this land, and the Bundy family settled there as pioneers and has been there since 1877. In 1993 the federal government changed the rules and designated the land in question as “conservation land” – because of the so-called endangered desert tortoise. A completely phony issue if you ask me. Since that time every rancher has been driven out, except for the Bundy family.

TarheelBen on April 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM

What the what?

Conservatives would sell federal property. Socialists would tax the snot out of landowners before taking over their property via eminent domain.

Myron Falwell on April 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

This was calculated for public consumption. The Democrats know this is where governance is headed. They want the public to use their preferred label to describe patriots and militiamen.

h a p f a t on April 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Sven on April 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Anywhere ranchers graze cattle or sheep on federally owned lands, which is all over the West, they pay grazing fees.

These grazing leases are seasonal (i.e you run cattle on the lease for 3-5 months and then remove them- often these leases are at higher elevations so they become snowed in) and the BLM or the Forest Service tells you for how long and how many units you can run..

Right now, I think the BLM fees are around $1.25 per cow/calf pair per month. At the time Bundy first refused to pay the grazing fees in 1994 (because they were requiring he cut the number of cattle on the lease by 75% “for the tortoises”)they were probably around 40 cents per cow/calf pair per month.

How they came up with that million dollars he supposedly owed is beyond me. Even at a buck an AU for 6 months a year for 20 years Bundy couldn’t have racked up more than $100K in fees.

Betcha he’s the one and only guy owing money to the Feds they came after with snipers.

Hey, didn’t Warren Buffet’s company owe about a BILLION in unpaid taxes? Do you think they used snipers with him too?

Pless1foEngrish on April 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Pless1foEngrish on April 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Most of that amount are penalties and fines, not grazing fees at all.

sharrukin on April 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM

What if Bundy Ranch Were Owned by a Bunch of Black People?

davidk on April 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

This is disgusting!

I guarantee if it was a black family fighting against tyranny, Tea Party types would be the first to step up to help. It sure as hell wouldn’t be Jesse or Al.

UnstChem on April 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Uh-oh, it appears the BLM tried to “scrub” their site of an article about Harry Reid’s son (Rory Reid) and his solar deal with China—and the need for the Bundy ranch! But, SOME PEOPLE took copies of the BLM page before it could be “scrubbed!” ISN’T THE INTERNET A WONDERFUL THING???

DixT on April 19, 2014 at 2:00 AM

That cat is already out of the bag.

Reid has passed the point of no return on rhetoric and should be impeached and removed from his position.

TX-96 on April 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Kudos to Rand, and shame on the other GOP who are too spineless to call out Reid for his vile rants.

petefrt on April 19, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Harry Reid tries too hard to divert attention to himself by calling others names.
What is Harry hiding?

Why is there not a petition to recall Harry Reid?
Searching the web, guess there is some movement in that direction:

albill on April 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM

But, but… Harry Reid says that paying federal taxes is “voluntary!”

Logic on April 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Can Allah name one lefty who would get behind this idea?

Esaus Message on April 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Can’t remember who I heard ask the question “Why are grazing fees so high anyway? All the cattle are doing are eating a little grass and pooping some.” Why would the Feds care anyway? Don’t they often bring in goats, for example, to eat weeds and such on purpose in some places? Who is it hurting? It’s already been determined that the tortoise excuse was a lie.

ncinca on April 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Another chance to put Pauls picture up on HotAir

KBird on April 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Bundy is the face of the Tea Party now. This is what they’ve wanted all along, isn’t it? Someone who doesn’t recognize any authority besides one they support? Calls from the Tea Party for Bundy to run for President in 3…2…1…

NoStoppingUs on April 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Obama scoffs at laws he doesn’t care to follow.

Barack is Domestic Terrorist Number One by Reid’s calculus.

profitsbeard on April 20, 2014 at 1:57 AM

The left doesn’t need official republican candidates like Akins or Murdock making cockamamie statements. Bundy is now the face the left is going to paint on the Tea Party. Gun toting, freedom fighting, racist, anti-government crazies. AND THE ESTABLISHMENT REPUBLICANS WILL COWER AND AGREE WITH THEM TO SAVE THEIR OWN BUTT!

D.D.Mao on April 25, 2014 at 1:28 AM