New Bloomberg umbrella gun-control group’s first ad: Are your children safe?

posted at 1:21 pm on April 17, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

As Ed noted earlier this week, everyone’s favorite loathsome nanny-state former mayor has pledged to refocus his gun-control efforts from the politically ailing Mayors Against Illegal Guns group to a new “grassroots” network (funded by his $50 million) to try to eventually “outmuscle” the National Rifle Association. This, evidently, is their first big ad.

First of all, who keeps a loaded handgun in a shoebox, underneath blankets and pillows, in the back of the closet? That right there is great description of how not to keep guns in your home — but that really isn’t the point here, and I’m not even going to go into the many other in-home hazards for children that cause still more accidental deaths every year. The point is that, absolutely yes, situations like this with accidental shootings of children in the home do happen occasionally, and every one is a tragedy we should diligently work to prevent. I one hundred percent agree with the ad’s plea to “start the conversation about responsible gun ownership in your home and community” — but most of the gun control bills out there today for which the group and others like it are presumably advocating have nothing to do with keeping guns out of the hands of children in the home. Most reasonable people can recognize that the benefits of having a handgun within reach for home defense far outweigh the risks, and most of the proposed gun-restricting legislation out there right now is about registering assault rifles, or limiting magazine capacities, or restricting concealed carry rights in alcohol-serving establishments and schools, or enhanced background checks, etcetera. I.e., nothing that will do anything to prevent the scenario played out above, and keeping guns out of the reach of curious children is primarily an issue of parental responsibility and educating children about the dangers of toying with firearms early on. That makes me think that perhaps this ad is more about scare tactics than any sort of practical, effective gun restrictions, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM

A little trivia, courtesy of my beloved firearms instructor; The world’s most successful assassins use .22 cal. Small round that bounces around inside the body causing widespread tissue damage.

fresh air on April 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Heh

“Start a conversation.”

Go to Youtube : “Comments are closed for this video”

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Bloomie is another simpleton who doesn’t understand what the second amendment is for.

More children died in car accidents last year than from guns. So let’s ban cars, right dumbass?

goflyers on April 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

fresh air on April 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yup. And I’ve seen a video some guys did shooting .22LR from a rifle at 300 yards at a hunk of roast beef wrapped in a few layers of clothing to prove that even .22LR can be lethal – even at 300 yards.

Also, we’ve had many discussions at work (all military guys) about .22 being ideal for zombies, for what you say – goes into the skull and then bounces around inside scrambling what’s there.

Anyway – like I said – 8 rounds of lead, even .22LR, heading at a criminal’s face will make them reconsider whatever they had in mind.

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM

goflyers on April 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

And in swimming pools and bathtubs….

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Heh

“Start a conversation.”

Go to Youtube : “Comments are closed for this video”

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Liberals — known by the cowardice of their convictions….

ProfShadow on April 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

goflyers on April 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Bloomberg knows exactly what the Second is about, and being a Big Government Knows Best kind of person, doesn’t want anyone to be able to effectively challenge that mindset, Big Gulp or not.

ProfShadow on April 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I’ve killed a lot of “things” with .22LR. I can personally attest to it’s lethality. Smallest thing I can recall would probably be a rat, largest probably a 250lb pig. Lots of stuff in between. I can only remember one incident where it took more than one round. That one took two because there was a last second motion that altered the angle of impact. Now that doesn’t count some misses. When I first started making head shots on chickens (for dinner not fun. I never found shooting anything to be fun.) I missed a couple of times. Clear misses though not wounds requiring second shot.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I blame the education system. For years they have been trying to convince my children that there is no difference between my Glock 19 and a Nerf gun, or a half-eaten Pop-Tart, or a finger. Since a lot of kids have never used a real gun, but most have at least pointed their finger and said, “Bang!”. What conclusion should they draw? My finger is just as dangerous as a real gun and my finger is not dangerous. That’s why the little girl in the ad was playing with the gun like it was a toy. That’s what she learned in school.

Kerplophel on April 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Guns have been in my life since I was 8, in the rack next to the stairs and it was my job to keep them cleaned and oiled until I was 18 and joined the Navy. Pop gave me a BB gun when I was ten and I was allowed to shoot the other guns only if Pop was there to coach me. It was always closely attended. I’ve hunted and fished all my life and I’m forever thankful Pop taught me the safety required all the time. Teach your children the proper handling of all weapons.

mixplix on April 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

fresh air on April 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

So what? You still have an attacker that’s coming at you with full force. So when he overpowers you, he’ll bleed to death on your dead body.

A 50 Cal machine gun round still has more stopping power at 1900 yards, than a 5.56 with the barrel resting against it’s target. Which basically means, you have a better chance at living from an AR15 at point blank range, than a 50 Cal round at just over a mile away.

The amount of energy transferred at impact is the greatest factor when it comes to trauma and stopping the bad guy. You as the potential victim don’t have the luxury to roll the dice hoping for an instant kill or that the round may tumble through the assailant’s heart tissue a few times.

I always have an extra mag when I carry cause 13 rounds will never be enough. The trigger will pulled repeatedly until there’s no more movement.

UnstChem on April 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Bloomburg is one sick individual. Like Vladmir Putin sick. Scary.

ctmom on April 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Beretta kills children.

Should have bought an M&P.

thei3ug on April 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I’ve never been a big fan of the Beretta 9mm. It’s not in any way a bad gun. I’d certainly rather have one of those than nothing. But the design bothers me. There are too many janky things that can get caught on your cloths.

It seems to me that if you had to have just one semi-auto handgun, the Glock would be the way to go. Way more versatile and easier to handle. Even 1911s seem more problem free than a Beretta 9mm. Some of Beretta’s smaller designs are cooler.

For you military guys, isn’t the Beretta 9mm the standard issue now?

Kind of weird that everyday cops (who usually have Glock 40s) would have a better side arm than our military.

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Depends. Are they strong enough to cock that hammer? Work a double action? What kind of parent has their kid defend themselves with a gun with springs and sears to strong for them to work????

17ktXwind on April 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Ya, my first gun was a Marlin .22 bolt action that my parents bought me when I was about 13 or so – specifically to shoot the woodchucks that were eating up our gardens. Took out a bunch of those things – but not something I really feel “good” about. I don’t hunt, by choice – but I could if I had too.

My Dad was kind of the same. Did a lot of hunting in Alaska with the locals and co-workers – whale, seals, moose, polar bear, caribou, deer – you name it. But later in life, just didn’t do that. A few years ago, a writer named Tom Remington did an article about my Dad (Sy) in Maine Hunting magazine. An interesting quote from that article:

Sy so humbly keeps telling me in a kind of apologetic way, “I’m really not much of a hunter.” What is “not really much of a hunter”? I might consider myself something of a hunter but only in my dreams have I gone whale hunting with the Eskimos, polar bear hunting, seal hunting, flying to remote places in Alaska hunting caribou and moose or even fishing on the King Salmon River.
Not being much of a hunter is all relative I guess but my fascination in the story is two-fold – the history of post World War II Alaska and the excitement of the adventures one man has experienced in his lifetime. We should all be so lucky.

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I really like my full size .40 cal Glock (G22 Gen4) – in fact, I’m a better shot with that than with my M&P9. But the full size Glock is a bit big for CCW – so I have a 9mm Glock subcompact (G26 Gen4) for carry – but I like my S&W Model 60 (.357 Magnum) revolver better for CCW.

One of the things I like about the Glocks is that you can use almost any Glock magazine (in the right caliber) for any Glock in that caliber. I’ve got 22 round mags full of .40 HPs for home, and shooting a subcomact 9mm Glock with a 33 round mag is a hoot….

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Welllll – used to have those toys….

If only I hadn’t taken those guns on that fishing trip with Bishop….

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

You know how you can tell when a politician wants to restrict your rights? He does a commercial with children.

DFCtomm on April 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Bloomberg has to be right. I mean, a “common sense” law outlawing magazines in excess of 6 rounds would stop that kid from pointing a gun at herself, right?

BillCarson on April 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Your dad sounds like someone I’d like. I have a friend from work whose Dad was in the Marine corps during WWII. I was in his office one day and there was a hometown newspaper laying on his desk. I picked it up and saw that it had an article about his dad in it. He was a Marine Raider and was on the Makin Island raid. Almost in awe I turned to him and said “You never told me your dad was on the Makin Raid.” He had no idea what that even was. Turns out that his father never talked about it and he wasn’t exactly a student of history. I pulled up some searches on his computer and told him to read. He was astonished to say the least. It’s amazing how little we sometimes know about people close to us.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Assassins is the key word here. When you use a .22 pistol to kill someone, you walk up behind them and fire several shots in their head and body, or you have them ride in the front seat of a car you shot them from the back seat, or shot them when they open a door to there home or apt. The victim is almost always unarmed and unaware that he is a target and is shot at a maximum range of 10ft. If for example, John Hinckley had used a 9mm or 45cal pistol the result would like have been deadly for Reagan, Brady and the Secrete Service agent. In almost all cases, a 22 cal. pistol or rifle would not make a suitable defense weapon.

Wallythedog on April 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

It’s amazing how little we sometimes know about people close to us.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Ya, my wife’s Dad is kind of like that. Never told her much of anything about his tour(s) in Vietnam – just said he was an admin clerk (AF enlisted). But we knew he was a highly decorated competition shooter / marksman. When our youngest son started talking about joing the Army to be a sniper, Grandpa filled him in on a few details – he was actually a forward air controller type on the ground in the jungle, and had a bit of shooting experience.

My Dad was an Army Air Corps meteorologist at the end of WW2 – stationed on Shemya for a bit – went back to Alaska after WW2 as a civil service meteorologist for several years.

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM

If I ever have as much money as Bloomberg I hope I have the sense to put it to good use, instead of this kind of crap…think about all the good this guy could do with the money he’s using to try and deny others their right to self preservation. What a waste this man and his money are!

Doc Holliday on April 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I’ve got my 33-rounder for my 9mm Glock sitting right here on my desk. And that’s not even taking into consideration that tactical components available for Glock, AND the carbine conversion kits.

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Wallythedog on April 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

If the Devastator bullets Hinckley used had performed as designed Reagan would most likely have died. The one in Brady’s head did explode. He was lucky. I hate to use that word since being rendered an invalid for life is not really lucky.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Ya – obviously, I don’t use the 33 round mags for conceled carry with the 9mm Glock – I’d need bigger pockets.
2 10 round mags (actually 11 with the mag grip extensions) full of HPs for carry….

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I seem to recall he used an H&R revolver with W-W Expediter ammo.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Bloombug has SGS (Short Guy Syndrome) and acts stupidly and in this case all is good, cause the ad, judging by the comments, is done … stupidly.

That said … one more time … just because you buy a piano doesn’t make you a pianist.
Learn and practice. Learn and practice. Practice, practice, practice.
Follow the Fundamental Rules of Firearms Safety … ALWAYS.
And teach them to others. ALWAYS.
Words of wisdom who have ‘faced the elepahant’:
The fastest gun in a fight is the one ALREADY IN YOUR HAND.
Shoot FIRST; Shoot STRAIGHT; Shoot FAST; Shoot LAST
As a CBP friend says: You can’t miss fast enought, so don’t.
Another CBP idea is:
Fast is FINE but … Accuracy is FINAL.

Missilengr on April 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, I don’t have a concealed permit at the moment. (Unfortunately.) It’s one of the many things on my ‘to do’ list. I’ve had one in the past. I’ve just been really busy with work. And I live in a different state now.

But, yes, to carry concealed, I’d probably opt for my Glock 19, with a standard mag.

(Although, if the weather was cold, and you were wearing a jacket, you could probably get away with stashing one or two 33-rounders.)

The 33-rounders are of questionable use. Gun guys will debate this point all night. But it’s nice to know that those mags are there if you need them.

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Whaddya think yer doin with that? You need that to hunt deeah?

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I bought a whole bunch of those evil “high capacity” magazines for multiple guns – before the Colorado restrictions took effect – just to have them whether I really need them or not.

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Whaddya think yer doin with that? You need that to hunt deeah?

slickwillie2001 on April 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

zombies

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

It’s so funny that you say that. I did the same thing. And there was a total rush on all the local stores where I am, even by people that hadn’t previously been gun owners. Every time Leftists try to ban guns, they end up expanding gun ownership. I love it. Leftists are truly morons.

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM

You really didn’t think that clown Bloomberg wanted anything to do with an HONEST debate, did you?

GarandFan on April 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I seem to recall he used an H&R revolver with W-W Expediter ammo.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Rohm RG-14 revolver loaded with Devastator rounds. Found several links that provided the same information. Here’s one. Used it for the picture, of the gun, not Hinckley.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM

You know Bloomberg has a lot in common with some other famous historical people.

We don’t let them have ideas. Why would we let them have guns?

Joseph Stalin

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Bloomberg: If you are not rich enough to afford a full-time security detail, you do not deserve to own a gun.

tballard on April 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Rohm. RG. The original Saturday Night Special. Pure garbage. I think that particular model has a Flayderman’s price of $11 for NIB.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

New Bloomberg umbrella gun-control group’s first ad: Are your children safe?

No… they are currently in a public school where administrators and teachers are unarmed, and the area is advertised as a target rich environment for criminals.

(sorry, couldn’t help responding)

dominigan on April 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM

You don’t have to apologize to me, for being right.

I’d call that the “thread winner.”

listens2glenn on April 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, looks more like a starter pistol than a real gun. Overpriced at $11. I wouldn’t buy it for a curiosity and that’s from a guy who’s the proud owner of a Phoenix arms .25 auto in SS.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM

As you read some of the comments you can can see people should be more concerned about who is in their medicine cabinet.

camerc on April 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM

that’s from a guy who’s the proud owner of a Phoenix arms .25 auto in SS.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Um, I have a Phoenix Satin Nickel in .25 so I will thank you not to bad-mouth it.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM

But yeah, apparently Wiki agrees. I don’t remember where I got the H&R and Expediter ammo, but I have a news clipping from the Arkansas DemocRAT and I specifically cut it out in civics class. I have it somewhere still. I guess it was from another crime.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM

War on women! Why was Mom in the kitchen making dinner, while Dad was absent (presumably at work)?

reaganaut on April 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Piece of junk, not even fun to plink with at the range. Wanna buy another one?

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Piece of junk, not even fun to plink with at the range. Wanna buy another one?

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Not a damned thing wrong with it excepting too many safeties. Mine was boughten brand new and is as accurate as any fixed sight gun I’ve had.

I really want a Budischowski (Norton).

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

reaganaut on April 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM

If it’s a Dem family, no dad is necessary – but then a Dem family probably wouldn’t have a gun unless they’re inner city….

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Here’s a much better video than anything Bloomers will ever put out. Spoiler: She don’t pee on the intruder but he probably crapped his pants.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Heh

“Start a conversation.”

Go to Youtube : “Comments are closed for this video”

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Yeah … “just don’t try to start a conversation with us because we’re cowards”. They’re just interested in courting controversy.

jix on April 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM

You know, I got a darn fine wife……decades younger than me……ex-dancer and still looking good…..great mother……has a twin sister and better not type any more about that….wants it all the time……blonde and smart………and rich I tell you.

Yesterday she told me no more firearms because I have enough of ‘em.

Dang, I’m so going to miss her.

HonestLib on April 17, 2014 at 6:52 PM

What the ad needs at the end is a tag – “brought to you by the guy who made possession of a Big Gulp a crime.”.

whatcat on April 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I really want a Budischowski (Norton).

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Most interesting piece I have is a CZ-52. Fairly small round. 7.62×25 but not a Tokarev round. It’ll take a Tokarev round but supposedly not the other way around Apparently the ’52 rounds are compressed and if fired in a Tokarev might cause a catastrophic disassembly. Of course that could be an urban legend too but the boxes of ammo that I have do have a warning not to use in a Tokarev. One thing I know is that when you fire the thing at the range people turn and stare at you. I love to shoot it but after about twenty or thirty rounds my hand is stinging. I used to have a Ljungman semi auto rifle but gave it to my son for birthday or Christmas or something. That thing was fun to shoot too. 6.5×55 Swede 10 round removable mag. Scary looking assault rifle had a bayonet lug and everything. Weighed a ton but built like a brick outhouse.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM

dentarthurdent on April 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Got me 10 30-round AR15 mags before that as well. I don’t even have an AR15 yet.

UnstChem on April 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I always wanted a Rast-Gasser.

That Lungman is a weird setup. Almost like a long recoil in reverse.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Funny thing is, you go to eBay and you’ll see all kinds of AR15 “10-round” mags. All advertised along the lines of “This will hold 10 rounds” and “picture may not represent actual 10-round mag”.

UnstChem on April 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

UnstChem on April 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Unless you’re in the zombie apocalypse, if you can’t drop whatever’s coming at you in 13 rounds you’re either not doing it right or you’re in much bigger trouble than you thought.

Mitoch55 on April 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM

These ads are for low info liberal voters alive or dead.

nobama1267 on April 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Who are the real fear mongers and paternalist pieces of shite?

CW on April 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

“Are your children safe?”

Safer than before, after I picked up a new Sig AR-15 this week.

Bruce MacMahon on April 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Sweet little piece there, ON!

I wish i could afford a lot of older collector items like that, but financially its a stretch for me.

My Grandad gave me his gently used USGI Springfield ’03, along with the cleaning kit, back in the 70′s. Chambered in the .30-06 and 8x scope, it was the definition of “Reach out and touch someone”.

My Dad gave me his Colt 1911 also used, when he felt i reached the maturity to own AND respect it.

But MY first auto-loader was my beloved 220, brought with my own stash money; $500 (WAY a lot of money for me) got me the pistol, the .22LR kit and a basket-weave ambidextrous belt holster.

Man, I thought I was King S**t when I was at the range, especially when I was able to get my hands on the 10 round extended mags…The .22 conversion kit wasnt bad, but you really wanted to take it to a smith to have them tweak it some, but again, worth the effort.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Safer than before, after I picked up a new Sig AR-15 this week.

Bruce MacMahon on April 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I’ve been looking at the SIG line for .22LR semi-auto rifles!

I still may just get a Ruger 10/22 and a boxful of tactical furniture to drop on it (can’t afford to overspend) but SIG has some oh-SO-sweet off the shelf stuff.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Hotair is now a gun forum? I didn’t know. This collection of comments completely skirts the issue of the Left’s penchant for gun control. The 50 states and DC, collectively, has tens of thousands of gun-related laws on the books, with cities and counties, even thousands more that aren’t enforced. Lost in this legislative stupidity is the fact that many laws demand that guns in the home be locked up, unloaded in an approved safe when not in the owner’s necessary possession for uses stated in said laws (like cleaning, putting in range bags to go shooting, etc.). More still, there are laws expressly written to protect children, e.g., preventing them from finding a gun such as in this whacko video. However, these laws cannot be enforced without law enforcement from violating the fourth amendment (search and seizure). So we don’t have protection like the laws were intended for, and parents need to wake up and follow those laws.

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I’ve been looking at the SIG line for .22LR semi-auto rifles!

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Go with the 10/22. Ruger now makes factory 25-round mags. Put a decent scope on it and you;re good to go. Use the savings to buy ammo (if you can find any .22 that is). The 10/22 Takedown is pretty sweet.

Bruce MacMahon on April 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Sorry to rain on the .22 cal parade, but snipers prefer match ammo in the following calibers: .308 Win, .338 Lapua, and when you want to shoot through a barrier at long distance, the .50 cal BMG.

The .22 LR round has no “punch”, Where “punch” = bullet velocity times bullet mass. The .22 LR has neither.

Now, those new .22′s with “real” bullets inserted into necked cases, now that’s another story……………..

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Didn’t have time to read thru all the comments, perhaps someone mentioned this already….

#1 -That was a big gun, no way that little girl could even rack the slide or pull back that hammer. If it was a dbl action gun I’d doubt she could even pull the trigger w/out both hands on the trigger. Could they not at least get that right?

#2 – a PERFECT example of why you should join the NRA or your local gun club to learn proper gun safety. Any normal/non-idiot parent that has a gun in the house tells their children about them, etc.

poppieseeds on April 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Sorry to rain on the .22 cal parade, but snipers prefer…

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

The .22 isn’t used for long range sniper work.

sharrukin on April 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

My Ruger 1022 in stainless with the laser stock an. 4x IR scope is full of badazz.

It rocks.

It’s a minor adjustment away from full auto.

The thing rings the target.

It’s one helluva rifle.

It ranks high in my gun bank.

wolly4321 on April 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM

The Left gives themselves away with their loose terminology. The word “gun” applies to just about anything that fire a projectile using a propellant (e.g., gunpowder). An Army field artillery piece is called a gun, for criminy sakes!! That said, replay that video and look at the girl. That pistol had to be modified for that video specifically so that little girl could cock the hammer. A weak hammer spring was installed. They are lying, but the Lefties are too ignorant to see it.

Lemmings forever……………..

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

The bullet hits the red dot,, always.

But the iron sights work, too.

wolly4321 on April 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM

poppieseeds, WTH???

And I wish you were a troll, crankybutt so I could call you Mr. stinkybutt.

Lanceman on April 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Safer than before, after I picked up a new Sig AR-15 this week.

Bruce MacMahon on April 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I assume you mean one of their 556 models. Did you happen upon a 556xi?

HonestLib on April 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

If I’m going to have 10k rounds of anything, it’ll be .22cal.

wolly4321 on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Have a Springfield 1903 M1A1 (with the range-finder sight) that I absolutely adore. First handled one in high school (I was a bad kid; got sent to military school) and learned how to actually sight and fire it. Bought one for myself when I graduated, cut back the heavy wood furniture and replaced it with a much lighter stock, but otherwise left it original. Personal defense, a Springfield XD, the .40 variant. A few other weapons, too.

The ad above demonstrates nothing more or less than an idiot’s idea of how firearms are routinely handled and secured. The problem is, this ***hole has the money to further inflict this perspective on ignorant people.

Since, hey, discussion, I’ve actually given some thought to what might actually work to replace the 2A, while promoting both safety and freedom. It gets a little into minutia, but… kind of needed, to prevent creative reinterpretation by the SC:

Asurea on April 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Squirrels, rabbits, dear, humans.

Diverse round.

wolly4321 on April 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I don’t even like my AR. I’d trade up to a M1A in a heartbeat.

I hate plastic.

wolly4321 on April 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I heard somewhere that “punch” = 1/2 mass times velocity squared. Don’t remember where I heard that.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Not sure which one you’re talking about but I picked them both up at a gunshows in Richmond. The CZ was something like $85 and the AG was less than $200. Don’t know what they go for now.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Hotair is now a gun forum? I didn’t know.

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

In my experience any thread about guns here will evolve into a gun forum. Hotair folks loves some guns. Sometimes even the trolls get involved.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM

If you want to reduce accidental shootings your best friend is the NRA, which does good work with shooter education and reducing accidents.

Bloomberg’s best move would have been to give that fake-grassroots money to the NRA.

But of course this has nothing to do with reducing accidental shootings. It’s about gun-grabbing.

David Blue on April 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Bruce MacMahon on April 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Hey I remember back in the good old days, you could get 100rnd snail drum mags for less than $75. Then once Beta-C and others came out with cheaper, better made in metal & plastic it was Ay Carumba! :o)

I am STILL partial to the Ruger…because Ruger was the first to really come out with a lot of accessories and tactical goodies for the .22 at a COST that made it worth it every time, along with reliability.

BUT, I’m also kind of the “Stick with 1 maker when possible” rule. I like the SIG P227, which is a improved 220 in .45 with a double stack, and if I could get a .22 SIG rifle great. But Ruger is on the list if I couldn’t negotiate a good package deal.

Mainly, I would like a long arm that I can convert from .22LR to a intermediate range caliber, PLUS have decent priced accessories to go with it.

That’s why I wouldn’t mind a SKS style weapon (non-chinese) that could fire both the 7.62×39 then be converted over to .22LR..So far I have yet to find ANY kit that will allow me to do so.

OTOH for other Western-Based arms (Colt, SIG, S&W, etc) will allow me to do so, but the damn upfront cost is…pricey, to say the least…sigh.

I do have access to a older 3 stage rifle & pistol press so the ability to reload cheaper .22LR and splurge on buying a set of midrange rifle caliber dies will do me just right. I’m not looking for hunting rounds so much as reloading for target practice & self defense.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

E=MV^2. Mass*Velocity-Squared. There’s also transference, which is much more complex and one of the reasons hollow points are so devastating. A round that punches through doesn’t transfer all of its energy, while a round that stops inside the body does.

Asurea on April 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Just yesterday I read in the New York Times that the purpose of Bloomberg’s new group was to advocate for universal background checks, and only universal background checks, so gun owners had no reason to oppose them.

So, what does this video have to do with background checks? This video is about safe storage, which is a whole different subject. Improved background checks would not have any effect on the tragedy dramatized in this video.

So, what is it going to be, Bloomie? Is Everytown for Gun Safety going to be about Background Checks, or is it going to embrace every anti-gun trope to come down the pike, up to and including outright bans, like all of your other anti-gun astroturf operations?

Haiku Guy on April 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Asurea on April 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

nope

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM

My CCW is an M&P Shield in .40. With an extra magazine in my pocket.

Yeah, I’d much rather have a full size M&P/Glock on my hip, but in Florida, the Gunshine State, to get CCW ‘way back when’ it was a compromise that the only time you could carry openly was on your way to or back from some outdoor activity such as fishing, hunting or camping.

Hopefully we can get that overturned Real Soon Now. That “shall not be infringed” thing…pretty darn clear. And was so until the early 1900s.

ProfShadow on April 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Everything else though, is spot on. All in all, hunters don’t hunt with hollow points. You talk about transference, but the energy has to be there on the other side. Hunters shoot controlled expansion non-hollow points for the reasons you specified. Hollowpoints, DEADLY! at 10 yards.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Asurea on April 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Actually its F=
Where F is force, but in any case the equation is the same energy, force. Bullet energy is usually expressed in foot pounds.

Figuring out the damage requires a little more math. Here’s one.

Calculate the Hornady Index of Terminal Standards (HITS) number using the formula HITS = Bullet Weight^2 x Velocity / Bullet Diameter^2 / 700,000. In words, the HITS number is equal to the square of the bullet weight (in grains) times the velocity (in feet per second) divided by the square of the bullet diameter (in inches) divided by 700,000. Note that the HITS calculation method is meant to be an indicator of how severely a specific bullet might wound a live target, and today it is the most widely used calculation for this purpose.

Other calculations used include the Optimal Game Weight (OGW) formula, the Taylor Knockout (TKO) formula, the Knockout Value (KOV) formula and the Lethality Index (LI) formula.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM

It’s been a while but back when I was heavy into reloading I picked up some bullets (can’t remember which manuf.) for one of my rifle reloads. They were HP boat tails but had a very small opening and it was plugged with a small pointed insert that improved the aerodynamics over a standard hollow point. I haven’t hunted since 1972 so I never shot anything living with one of them. A 4×4 on the other hand was devastated by them. Small hole in, really big hole out. If I wasn’t so lazy, old and ambivalent I’d do a little research and find out what they were called and who made them. They were great loads.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM

wolly4321 on April 17, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Ok, here’s a really dumb question (because I don’t have night vision or anything like that yet, and that’s probably going to me my next purchase):

When you’re talking about IR, you’re talking about thermal imaging?

I’m curious as to whether you guys think night vision is better than thermal imaging or vice versa? Thermal imaging is way more expensive, no?

WhatSlushfund on April 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM

When I grew up, I knew the location of every one of the twenty-two firearms in the house, how they functioned and the location of the ammunition. Dad started training us before we could ride two-wheelers.

One one occasion my brother was at a friends house when the idiot pulled out his dads gun to impress. My brother took it, unloaded it and handed it back with the words, put this damn thing back. He was ten years old.

Kill the curiosity if you want to save the cat.

Or the kid.

Cricket624 on April 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Hotair is now a gun forum?

crankybutt on April 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Damn right it is some nights! When you’re lucky to see one start, jump in and join the fun!

Don’t you LOVE the smell of freshly burnt powder and the CLANG of a popper target going down?

Gun culture in the US is distinctly American.

Those that don’t at least once in their life is missing out, and I take pity on them.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Actually, I am fascinated by this HITS thing. Mass more important than velocity. Wow.

I am sitting behind two empty cases. a .17 WSM rimfire, and a .22LR rimfire.

While I wouldn’t want to be hit by either, I can guarantee you which one I have more of a chance with.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM

50 Million dollars could keep Detroit afloat for a few more weeks.

Bloomberg must be a racist!

Robert Jensen on April 17, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Sounds like you’re talking about a Nosler styled round, OldNuke.

DANG! I know which one you mean too, damned if i can find in in my head though but I do remember that Nosler was the premier supplier of them.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Hornady Leverevolution. Amazing stuff. Too bad the Win 94 croaked before this stuff came out.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM

That’s assuming the bullet can hold together.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Gun culture in the US is distinctly American.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM

My son had a ton of foreign friends while he was in college. My home often looked like a small version of the U.N. without the parking tickets. Invariably these folks were fascinated with our love of guns. I’ve taken some out to the range. One in particular, a little Japanese girl who wouldn’t top 90lbs soaking wet just had to shoot one. She stated that she wanted to see for herself what all the fuss was about. I let her bang away, after proper instruction, with one of my 1911s. She handled it extremely well for being the first gun she’d ever had in her hands. Afterwards I asked if she now understood what all the fuss was about. She answered “Oh Yes! Very much fun, shooting gun!”

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I think they were Nosler. I quit reloading about 11 years ago so can’t remember a lot of details. I think I’ve still got some of those loads around though. May dig them out and check the label data…if I don’t forget.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Too bad the Win 94 croaked before this stuff came out.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM

You mean your Win 94 bit the dust? They discontinued manufacture only recently IIRC. Reload components should be as readily available as anything else.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Pretty much all the majors are putting out polymer tips now. Their ballistics are nothing short of amazing. Should be interesting to see how the plasticizers in the polymers hold up. What happens when the leverevolution tips get hard in a 94 tube magazine. So far so good though.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Hard to believe, but it’s been at least 10 years. I think they tried Miroku for a while, don’t know how that fared.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:11 PM