New Bloomberg umbrella gun-control group’s first ad: Are your children safe?

posted at 1:21 pm on April 17, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

As Ed noted earlier this week, everyone’s favorite loathsome nanny-state former mayor has pledged to refocus his gun-control efforts from the politically ailing Mayors Against Illegal Guns group to a new “grassroots” network (funded by his $50 million) to try to eventually “outmuscle” the National Rifle Association. This, evidently, is their first big ad.

First of all, who keeps a loaded handgun in a shoebox, underneath blankets and pillows, in the back of the closet? That right there is great description of how not to keep guns in your home — but that really isn’t the point here, and I’m not even going to go into the many other in-home hazards for children that cause still more accidental deaths every year. The point is that, absolutely yes, situations like this with accidental shootings of children in the home do happen occasionally, and every one is a tragedy we should diligently work to prevent. I one hundred percent agree with the ad’s plea to “start the conversation about responsible gun ownership in your home and community” — but most of the gun control bills out there today for which the group and others like it are presumably advocating have nothing to do with keeping guns out of the hands of children in the home. Most reasonable people can recognize that the benefits of having a handgun within reach for home defense far outweigh the risks, and most of the proposed gun-restricting legislation out there right now is about registering assault rifles, or limiting magazine capacities, or restricting concealed carry rights in alcohol-serving establishments and schools, or enhanced background checks, etcetera. I.e., nothing that will do anything to prevent the scenario played out above, and keeping guns out of the reach of curious children is primarily an issue of parental responsibility and educating children about the dangers of toying with firearms early on. That makes me think that perhaps this ad is more about scare tactics than any sort of practical, effective gun restrictions, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

2006. The day the music died.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Pretty much all the majors are putting out polymer tips now. Their ballistics are nothing short of amazing. Should be interesting to see how the plasticizers in the polymers hold up. What happens when the leverevolution tips get hard in a 94 tube magazine. So far so good though.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM

One of my cousins back in Ky had a 94. He had “Some Guy” pour him some bullets and my cousin loaded them. We took it out to “Our range” which was the back side of my property to do a little target shooting. We noticed that frequently the rounds were putting two holes in the target a few inches apart. Finally figured that “The Guy” had used wheel weights instead of pure lead to pour the bullets and they were breaking apart in flight. Needless to say we stopped using those particular loads. Don’t know what my cousin had to say to “The Guy”.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:15 PM

2006. The day the music died.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Always wanted one of those, never bought one. Plenty still around I may yet pick one up. I want a 10/22 too. Hell if we keep talking I’ll be out to Gander Mountain tomorrow, or the next gun show to hit town :-)

I’m working my way down my bucket list right now. Bought my Holland Grill last week and already pissed at myself for waiting so long on that.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I think they were Nosler. I quit reloading about 11 years ago so can’t remember a lot of details. I think I’ve still got some of those loads around though. May dig them out and check the label data…if I don’t forget.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I’m pretty sure it was, only because the name was so funny it stuck in my mind from oh so long ago and I used to be able to memorize the the different acronyms for different bullet designs.

IIRC it was Nosler – Semi Jacketed Boat-tail (SJ-BT); the cap was designed to collapse into the bullet cavity to expose the HP on impact; the improved design made the cap break into additional fragments to increase the damage inside the wound cavity on impact.

I think we tried it once when we did go hunting (dad loved his Venison!)and doing long range bench shooting. I grew up a city boy, but guns were a part of my life way more than my other brothers & sisters.

Happy times my friend.

Damn I wanted to do reloading too back then, but you really couldn’t run a reloading press in a NYC apt back in those days, even then you’d get a earful from some damn busybody…besides my mother wouldn’t allow it, LOL.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:15 PM

How did the bore hold up? Lot’s of fouling? I’ve been thinking of getting a furnace and casting blocks myself.

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM

This day and age, Oldnuke, you could go online and damn near get the one you want with 2 day shipping!

Shop on Friday, get it by Monday…Shoot all Week!

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I grew up on a farm in Kentucky. Guns were a part of my life, well, forever. One thing I never hunted was deer. We had plenty around, could have taken our pick but nobody in the family liked Venison including me. My favorite game meat was and still is squirrel. Nothing finer than a platefull of fried squirrel with some biscuits and gravy.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Not really, cleaner than pure lead really. If you were close to me I’d sell you one of my melting pots. I’ve got two, same model electrics. Don’t use either of them anymore. Never poured bullets used them for fishing stuff. Sinkers, lead head hooks. Got a ton of molds for that stuff plus a bunch of various hooks. I think I’ve still got a five gallon bucket of lead too.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Shop on Friday, get it by Monday…Shoot all Week!

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Don’t shoot much anymore. Makes my hands hurt, arthritis. Plus I don’t really trust myself with guns these days. Same reason. I drop things, fingers and hands just don’t work right. I really hate getting old.

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM

OK. Please excuse this stupid question. Can’t you just melt down lead shot from a 25# bag? Or not enough tin or antimony or something?

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM

My granddad grew up in the RURAL South and taught my dad to shoot. Both of them taught me a lot about guns, safety etc and how to shoot different types. I was born and raised in NYC, but back then you could still talk guns even at my age, and not get looked at cross-eyed…well, not TOO much.

So it wasn’t so much about using it for survival (put food on the table) but the camaraderie of gun ownership and its use in a urban environment.

Maybe Kentucky squirrels were meatier than Northeast ones, cuz the few I’ve tried when we did go hunting were…chewy at best LOL.

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Oldnuke on April 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Bummer my friend. :o(

I still go target shooting and practice , but hunting has fallen to the wayside for me. Last buck that saw me was probably mid 80′s.

Was never a big fan of sport hunting per se; it was “if you kill it, eat it” school, and I can understand that (not to mention field dressing, a damn PITA) but give me a few bricks of ammo and paper or bowling pins and I can be as happy as can be all day.

I promise you, if i get my hands on the long gun this year I will be more than happy to burn a couple bricks for you as a salute. :o)

BlaxPac on April 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

WryTrvllr on April 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Don’t see any reason not to use pure lead. I just bought mine from a local scrap yard on the cheap. They usually had it in blocks and sheets and sold it by the pound for about 2/3 what you’d pay for a bag of shot.

Oldnuke on April 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Oldnuke on April 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Done. Didn’t realize you could purchase it there. Thanks for the info.

WryTrvllr on April 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Just gonna pop over to the QOTD thread then shutdown for the night..OldNuke, Wrytrvllr was great jawin’ with you guys. Hopefully we’ll get a another gun thread running for the weekend…

BlaxPac on April 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM

For those who would want me to be a troll, or accuse of one, or think I’m one let me say that I have been on Hotair since Michelle Malkin founded it!!

I feel that Ed wasn’t strict enough when opening the forum two enrollments ago. That’s how most of the trolls got in.

The gun control issue should instill action to stomp it out by conservative action, not bragging about how many guns you own, or how many rounds you put downrange whenever you go….if ever. Show your zeal for keeping weapons by supporting the NRA, the TEA Party, and other conservative PAC’s who are fighting.

And yes, I handload all my range ammo and go at least once a month. I keep my XTP’s ready for intruders – they have their choice of 9mm, .40 or .45ACP – they’re all there.

Sheesh!!

crankybutt on April 18, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Bloomberg is delusional at best if he feels that 50 mil is going to sink the NRA . Many many citizens are waking up to the reality that is ,and they are preparing for it . We need to support the NRA and all like them and they will take the fight to Washington. In the mean time we the people need to be extra vigilant and be willing and able to pick up the fight should those entity fail.

j.p.hammerhead on April 18, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Well… at least they aren’t reproducing. Now if we can only get them to stop shoving PETA packets and Big Brother’s bedtime stories down our kids throats…

thermocline on April 18, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Accidental Firearm Deaths of Children under 15
(Note: I make a point of gathering the statistic of under 15 because that is what the majority of people think when you say child!)

2009 28
2010 36

Not even one per state.

jaydee_007 on April 18, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Please note: there are approximately 40 million children under the age of 15 living in he United States.

jaydee_007 on April 18, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Well, it was nice of him to ask.

ceraphym on April 18, 2014 at 4:58 AM

You know, if this Ad was filmed in Florida, Bloomberg could be doing some jail time.

Brock Robamney on April 18, 2014 at 5:36 AM

And the NRA response should be: we are willing to send trained firearms safety instructors to every school that wants one to teach basic firearms safety to every child in the United States.

That would screw over Bloomberg so much because it is something that he could never match. And if you don’t think the NRA has enough instructors to do that, how long do you think it would take to train enough to do that? Mind you most of their firearms safety courses run 6 hours and that includes some range time.

So go ahead and start saying you want a conversation… and then start one with parents and educators. In no time at all Bloomberg’s group would be in hysterics saying that this isn’t the sort of conversation they meant.

ajacksonian on April 18, 2014 at 6:31 AM

assume you mean one of their 556 models. Did you happen upon a 556xi?

HonestLib on April 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Got a too-good-to-pass-up deal on the Sig M400 Enhanced Patrol. $795, with no evidence of it actually having been fired.

Bruce MacMahon on April 18, 2014 at 6:57 AM

That’s not as bad as keeping it in the toy box, which is where I found it at a friend’s house when I was a kid.

mrsknightley on April 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM

mrsknightley on April 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM

R-i-i-i-i-i-ight.

mrsknightley on April 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM

R-i-i-i-i-i-ight.

M240H on April 18, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Whoops …

… or was I doubly doubtful?

M240H on April 18, 2014 at 7:49 AM

M240H on April 18, 2014 at 7:45 AM

You’re barking up the wrong tree, dude. I’m a gun owner and my husband’s a lifetime NRA member. I was merely trying to point out that contra Erika’s very logical assumption, there really are people stupid enough to expose their children to unsecured guns. For the record, I hated that ad and its tactics and I hate everything Bloomberg stands for.

But by all means, keep judging my conservative bona fides.

mrsknightley on April 18, 2014 at 7:50 AM

But by all means, keep judging my conservative bona fides.

mrsknightley on April 18, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Fido can keep his bone. Hope you’re picking better friends these days

M240H on April 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

M240H on April 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Just for what it’s worth, and why I think it happened the way I remember it: the friend’s mother was really alarmed when I showed it to her. She took it from me like she was picking up a bomb. She later took the kids and left her husband, which makes me wonder if she did fear for her and their safety. All of which also makes me wonder if I should ask about this stuff before sending my daughter over to play at her friend’s house.

But yeah, I really do hate Bloomberg. He and his ilk are the reason I became a firearm owner in the first place – just because they try to tell me I can’t.

mrsknightley on April 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM

We always kept our guns locked up in the gun safe, not because of our son, because he was trained from a very young age how to handle guns safely (mainly, not to touch, and get an adult, just as the NRA teaches). We kept them locked up because of his friends.

ladyingray on April 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM

ajacksonian on April 18, 2014 at 6:31 AM

There you go! And they should run an ad promoting it as a child-safety program, along the lines of the bullying programs that the schools are so in love with to “protect the children”.

Some people’s paranoia about guns is beyond logical reach, though. My daughter had a friend whose parents were from India and they refused to let her spend the night at any American’s house because they thought all Americans had guns. We patiently explained to them the reality but they never did allow her to spend the night anywhere other than the home of a family member. Too bad criminals don’t fear that we all have guns.

inmypajamas on April 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Oops, PIMF:

ajacksonian on April 18, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Absolutely! And they should run an ad promoting it as a child-safety program, along the lines of the bullying programs that the schools are so in love with to “protect the children”.

inmypajamas on April 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Note to Bloomberg. We get it, you don’t like guns.

You obviously don’t have cojones because if you did you would truthfully inform us how you would enforce any implemented gun ban policy.

The only possible chance you have to succeed is to go into every single house in the U.S. to physically confiscate all firearms. Good luck winning support for that effort.

Kingfisher on April 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Leftist [the pro-abortion people] are always so concerned about the children.

Axion on April 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I wish I could meet that family from India. My reply to them would be, “I understand. We don’t let our daughter spend the night with any family from India because they defecate on the streets.”

Works both ways.

Kingfisher on April 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM

The most disappointing casualty of this pathetic Bloomberg campaign is Melissa Joan Hart. Melissa sold out and joined in Bloomberg’s going to heaven choir by shilling for this garbage and claiming her kids are the reason. How do any kids survive in a country with 120 million gun owners owning 380 million guns. It seems like everyone would be a target by these guns at all times. I’m just thankful that one of the dozen guns I own haven’t taken me or my family or animals out yet.

According to HHS, in 2009 guns accounted for 12,500 total deaths/murders by civilians and law enforcement in America. That number doesn’t include accidental and suicides.

In the same year, 2009, for profit abortions reported 877,000 babies were successfully murdered for profit in America. Not all states report them, not all butchers report to the government trackers, but according to HHS, those are the numbers. How many of the liberals screaming about gun control aka confiscation have never said anything about abortion control or background checks for abortion? After the facts that came to light on Kermit Gosnell, the liberals have doubled down on their so-called right to murder their babies which so-called doctors do for profits. The 2nd amendment is about protection, something those murdered babies will never know.

The bottom line is, we have the guns, they are protected by the Constitution unlike abortion. If anyone wants to try to take our guns away, come and try, but 120 million gun owners in America aren’t going to just give them away. MOLON LABE!

CommieJuice on April 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Works both ways.

Kingfisher on April 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM

And apparently, judging by the news, all men in India are gang rapists.

dentarthurdent on April 18, 2014 at 10:59 AM

desperate are they not?

OregonPolitician on April 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM

inmypajamas on April 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM

You could be pro-active and ask them if they would like to go through a firearms safety course from an NRA instructor. Even just their home safety course is worthwhile as it goes beyond firearms.

I already knew the terminology and the rest of it, but the instructor I had for handguns was excellent and went through a very thorough and detailed examination of firearms and their functions. It isn’t like you were trying to explain an IC engine or anything: the mechanics of even FA weapons is 19th century stuff. And, really, a few armed people in India would have been able to stop a number of attacks on their own instead of being offered as targets by promulgating fear of arms. It is the irrational fear that needs to be countered… there are plenty of rational fears with arms and that requires calm, cool thinking. My heart rate always picks up at the range, but then it is irrationally interesting and exciting to me and I must calm down from that and experience it later and concentrate on what I am doing. My rational mind must over-ride the irrational for me to function well and understand that emotions are just a tempering force to reason, never something to be followed on their own.

Never take counsel of your fears.

ajacksonian on April 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM

“Scenes from Everytown”/”Scenes like this happen all the time”

Via CDC
Yearly Mean Unintentional Injuries between 2001-2010, <1-17 years of age

-Firearms: 2227 Hospitalized: 762
-Cut/Pierce: 471,650 Hospitalized: 2,695
-Poisoning: 105,163 Hospitalized: 8,139

Yearly Mean Unintentional Fatalities between 2001-2010, <1-17

-Firearms: 106
-Cut/Pierce: 6
-Poisoning: 307 (235 cases due to drug poisoning)

Assuming the 2M+ kids statement at the end of the vid is true, that means there's a .0053% chance or less of any of those kids dying, with a 3.8% chance or less of hospitalizing injury due to firearms. It being Bloomberg, I'll take that statistic with a hefty amount of salt; or did he regulate that too? That these are the grounds upon which a campaign is being built? That is the scary thing. Is the government now going to have spot checks to make sure your firearms are properly secured? Oh, that needs weapon registration! Wee, Demowin!

On a less sarcastic note, it should be mentioned there's a significant decline in the amount of deaths and injuries for this age group since 2001.

Ebola on April 18, 2014 at 3:26 PM

The ad claims that “Scenes like this happen all the time. More than two million American kids live in homes with unsecured guns”

Really. REALLY? I love when people pull unsupported stats out of their…ahem…hat. Where did they get this stat? What constitutes “unsecured”? What constitutes “kids”? What constitutes “all the time”.

According to the CDC, there were 62 deaths by “Accidental Discharge of Firearm” in 2010 for children 0-14. In comparison, there were 1,382 accidental drownings for the same period and age group. It seems that it would be a much better use of Bloomberg’s money to combat the epidemic of “unsecured” pools and bathtubs and ponds and creeks and lakes and puddles in this country. There are roughly the same number of accidental shooting deaths annually as there are accidental falling deaths. Shouldn’t parents be just as concerned about all those “unsecured” trees and windows and roof tops in their yard?

The reality is that gun owners by and large are FAR more careful and safe with their firearms than most people are with any number of other potentially hazardous items. Yet there is no billionaire funded, grass roots effort to ban all manner of readily available and accessible deadly household items (and places). The reality is that this absolutely does NOT happen all the time. And while it is tragic when it does happen, it is not anything close to an epidemic.

gengwall on April 18, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Hey Ebola – what report were you looking at. The CDC data I found did not make a break at 17. My source is:

CDC. (May 2013). Deaths: final data for 2010. National Vital Statistics Reports Vol 61(4).

gengwall on April 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I think Bloomberg should host a movie night. On the bill – a double feature: Guns of Autumn and Refer Madness. He can run his commercial in between shows since it fits in with the theme of hyperbolic dishonesty.

gengwall on April 18, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Gengwall, http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html

Ebola on April 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM

It’s a quick and easy way to filter through injuries, fatalities, method of action etc.

Ebola on April 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Thanks

gengwall on April 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM

For the last few decades, each and every time the NYT or anyone like that hits hard at gun owners, I pony up and send 25 bucks to NRA ILA or GOA. It’s the cost of a parking ticket, and actually feels good. If you will not give, do not complain.

EMSREPORTER

EMSREPORTER on April 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM

What scares me is that Mr. Bloomberg let kids handle guns.

unclesmrgol on April 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM

My kids are very safe. Taught the older one how to shoot and taught the younger one what to do while the older one protects him.

mizflame98 on April 18, 2014 at 11:29 PM

ajacksonian on April 18, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Let me follow that up with yet another that would be awesome.

In all seriousness, I am of the strong opinion that everyone should take a firearms safety course at least once in their lives.

Voyager on April 18, 2014 at 11:52 PM

gengwall on April 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM

If you drill down far enough on the dot G O V websites the data and breakdowns are there.

I broke at 15 because the numbers sharply increase after age 15.

Also, since you can get a driver’s license at 16, people don’t think 16 or 17 when they hear the word ‘child’.

jaydee_007 on April 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM